5.3

1. Nov 13, 2014
    "Trespass" 10 Scale Rating: 3.5 (Bad) ...

The Good: Well ... Cam Gigandet didn't annoy the crap out of me in this movie. I guess that is a plus.

The Bad: ... everyone else did. It doesn't bode well for a film when I WANT the bad guys to off the hostages and then die themselves in a fiery car accident directly afterwards. What a mess of a movie.
  2. Sep 20, 2014
    Has Nicholas Cage ever made a bad movie? Granted that some haven't been as good as Trespass, but when you see Nicholas Cage's name, you know you're always going to be entertained. Teaming up with famed Director Joel Schumacher and the always intense Nicole Kidman, Cage stars in a type of film we've all seen before. Trespass has a common storyline, but it's done in an unexpected way, with an ending that will leave you speechless. Kyle Miller (Nicholas Cage) is a wealthy diamond merchant, who has finally built the mansion he's always wanted. It has also made him a target for a sophisticated team of thieves, who want their share. Surprised at home one night, the Miller family is held hostage. Positive that if he gives them what he wants his family is dead, Kyle refuses their demands, leading to an epic standoff. Nicholas Cage shows a different side in Trespass, as he's not the cunning hero that saves the day, but rather a family man, trying to protect his family. He's paired with Nicole Kidman, who while being a terrific actress, usually makes films I have no interest in seeing. An action thriller is also something out of the norm for her, but she handled it like a pro and her chemistry with Nicholas Cage was outstanding! Finally, the cast is rounded out by OC star and teen heartthrob Cam Gigandet. I've made it clear that I feel a lot of these "heartthrobs" only get jobs because of their looks, and if that's the rule, Gigandet is the exception. Playing both sides in the conflict, the young star does an outstanding job. Gigandet's character is easily the most complex, having to play the good and the bad guy. It's his role and the twist associated with it that makes the whole film rise above similar films like Panic Room. On the surface Trespass is just another copycat, but the story turns out to be far more complex than a home invasion. A unique cast of characters with terrific chemistry, combined with one of my favorite Directors, make for what can only be called a must see movie! Expand
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    All right, let's start with the positive. "Trespass" has some decent cinematography and editing. Now, let's move on to the negatives. The movie's script, dialogue, story and a large portion of the acting are trash. It's like the movie's storyline are put together in a couple of weeks. Definitely not a recommendation.
  4. Jun 21, 2013
    This film was not that bad. It annoys me that great and famous actors are playing in films only for money. The plot is good though and the action of the movie is good too. It keeps you but it's not a film that you would recomend to someone else as there are other much funnier and better home invasion films
  5. May 1, 2013
    Acting was solid, Constant suspense kept you on your toes but it never really went any where. Very anti-climactic ending that was like a spit to the face of anyone who sat through it. It wasn't a bad movie, I enjoyed it, and I did not feel it deserved as low of a critic score as it got because I have sat through far worst. I just wish the ending was better.
  6. Apr 22, 2013
    Schumacher succeeds only in adding yet another un-watchable film to his portfolio. 'Trepass' is flawed to such an extent that you wonder how it got made in the first place.
  7. Jan 3, 2013
    Script-4/10
    Nothing special in the story,but liked the visualization of bond between family.
    Acting-6/10
    Cage & kidman did great,others were OK.
    Visual-3/10
    Effect & picturization was not good.
    Entertainment-4/10
  8. Mar 3, 2012
    The movie is of course nothing that hasn't been done before, but I did enjoy the constant suspense and good acting. Unfortunately I couldn't stand the crack-head woman in it. I'm not sure why it's always female characters that ruin movies - but she was awful. It was like they put her in for nothing more than a tiny bit of nudity. Aside from that, it was a decent watch but nothing original. Cherry Tree Lane still remains to be my favourite hostage-in-my-own-home movie. Expand
  9. Dec 15, 2011
    I've gotta wonder how many times more would I got suckered watching a movie that has Nicholas Cage on it. "Hey, at least it has Nicole Kidman on it," I thought to myself. She didn't help much though. Trespass is a thriller movie a la Panic Room, and not as good. It's often needlessly noisy, tiresome and slightly over-the-top. Imagine trapped inside a house and there are continuous shouting between the robbers and the victims, "I'll shoot!", "Please don't!", "I want your money, wife and daughter." repeated all over again.

Its story is a wealthy family got caught in a robbing in their own mansion of a house. The robbers know that Kyle (Nicholas Cage) is a diamond dealer and living with his wife and daughter. They go in with guns and Kyle counters with his mouth. Over the course of the movie, they banter back and forth with almost the same result; nowhere. This isn't witty exchange of increasingly clever moves in one setting like Panic Room, but more of abuse of violence and screaming.

The robbers are not exactly smart, I can't think of anyone who would bring delusional psycho or wrecked addict into a job. It might get away with all the screaming, shooting, windows breaking due to quite neighborhood, but it gets a bit comical after a couple of shout out exchanges. The wife (Nicole Kidman) is quite good. Her expressions are more vibrant, but the dialogues don't give her the best opportunity. Nicholas Cage is a bit unintentionally silly on his delivery and might break the pace.

Still there's a bit of suspense to be had here. The characters all have emotional baggage and individual story, albeit not that well told. Their motivations are a tad quirky and the only thing you'll remember is how they use profanity to invoke emotion from audience. Don't get me wrong, a well placed F bomb can be effective, but the use here is just brash and distasteful. I don't get the lady robber character, whether she's supposed to be a comic relief or not. The things she does don't make sense, it's partially rude yet chuckle inducing.

It has a bit of twists, but they are predictable. I think the director wanted to be realistic in depicting the characters, especially Cage, in a believable scenario. But it ends up the opposite, some scenes are actually not that entertaining and just funny out of context. It doesn't have much restraint and everything is full blown aggressively. If he wanted to make the audience felt like they are hostages themselves, Iâ
  10. Nov 24, 2011
    Who said Home Invasions movies are dull and cumbersome? Well, Joel Schumacher, Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman have proven that they are. Trespass is labeled as Psychological Thriller, but it should have been put under Patience Tester, itâ
  11. Oct 24, 2011
    Well, the signs were not very good, when Millennium Entertainment decided to shoot straight for Blu-Ray and On-Demand with only 9 theatres showing "Trespass." And, the fears have been confirmed: the film is an utter disaster. It is really the last thing either Kidman or Cage needed, but they got it. The screenplay is atrocious, with so many twists and turns it makes you sick. None of it is original - don't be fooled. The film goes for quantity instead of quality, hence the attempt to look "smart" while shifting plot lines like it's no one's business. Nicholas Cage (whom I usually take to be a rather good actor) is simply horrid, as is pretty much everyone else in the cast. I love Nicole Kidman, but she just ended up screaming and giving scared looks throughout most of the film. Then again, she couldn't do much with such thinly written characters. She at least looked stunningly beautiful, and it was rather nice to see her lips be regular shape and volume again, after much fuss over her face and plastic surgery/botox stuff. But, to get back to the point - Trespass is stunningly annoying, with horrible, cheesy dialogue, unnecessary and improbable plot changes, and lame editing. Overall, I would not pay even the "On-Demand" price for it, since it's not worth it. To be honest, though, I never expected much from the director of "Batman Forever" in the first place, so I'm not even surprised. Expand
  12. Oct 24, 2011
    Lets start with why I went to see Trespass - because of Nicolas Cage, whom I try not to miss, ever! And then there was the bonus - Nicole Kidman as well, plus an experienced Thriller movie maker Joel Silver. But all that punched into the equation - the movie couldn't reach where it aimed. It's a hostage-at-house movie, where the family members & the goons are all hiding something from each other. Nicolas Cage is a diamond agent, with a huge mansion for his wife Nicole Kidman to sit around alone, as her husband is out of town making money and her teenage daughter is out partying. One of those rare days, when the whole family is home, becomes far from pleasant, when a gang of masked people barge into their house, taking the family hostage. Though the gang seem to have a lot of information about Nicolas & his family, the heist doesn't go as planned as people start revealing head-spinning secrets one by one. A cat & mouse game ensues, as the family constantly tries to escape while everybody involved try to figure out who betrayed who.

There are a lot of twists in the movie and the thrill stays on during the whole movie. It's good to see Nicolas not in his usual action guy avatar. But the movie still fails to make a high impact and ends up being just another popcorn movie, watchable but easily-forgettable.

Joel Silver could've done better than that.

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Oct 16, 2011
    Trespass is a home invasion movie, but not a clever, taut one; it's sloppy and obvious, with curves so un-serpentine they might as well be straightaways.
  2. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Oct 14, 2011
    Cage and director Joel Schumacher, who has fallen so far from the A-list that he provokes a demand for new letters of the alphabet after Z, have each found their cinematic soulmates.
  3. Reviewed by: Alison Willmore
    Oct 14, 2011
    Trespass is best received as an almost viable B-movie that just happens to have A-list leads.