6.0

1. AliC.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Hilarious. Maybe more so for Brits though.
  2. TomF.
    Jul 3, 2006
    First of all, I have not laughed so hard in a cinema in a long time, however, i doubt it will appeal to all those who see it. If you love digression based and dry humour, in addition to 'metafiction' narrative, i guarantee you will love this film.
  3. TimW.
    May 20, 2006
    There seem to be two major complaints with this movie, both of which baffle me. 1)"It's just not funny." Even if I hadn't gotten a single joke, this would still have been one of the greatest movies I've ever seen because of the rebuttal to 2)"The 'real life' bits are tedious and irrelevant"---in fact they parallel and subvert the book so well this movie that is There seem to be two major complaints with this movie, both of which baffle me. 1)"It's just not funny." Even if I hadn't gotten a single joke, this would still have been one of the greatest movies I've ever seen because of the rebuttal to 2)"The 'real life' bits are tedious and irrelevant"---in fact they parallel and subvert the book so well this movie that is ostensibly about the making of movies becomes for the viewer who wants more than a few cheap laughs, one of the most literary films ever made. Expand
  4. SteL.
    Aug 9, 2006
    Simply brilliant. I pity anyone who doesn't find this movie hilarious. Best comedy I've seen all year.
  5. AldoB.
    Feb 1, 2006
    A film about nothing.
  6. Dominic
    Mar 5, 2006
    Possibly the greatest movie about making movies, sits perfectly next to this is spinal tap. it's complex, but you never feel lost, coogan and brydon play off of each other beautifully. extra metion to jeremy northam, basically playing michael winterbottom. it's not to everyone's tastes, but a wonderful 100 minutes.
  7. JeremyK.
    Sep 17, 2006
    A phenomenal piece of work. This is the artist's hand steadily at play. A collaborative comedy with an underlying current that reminds us of how much facical our world views and sense of self vs others always leaves us wanting. By embracing a post-modern jester of his time (Sterne) and this wonderful age-old satire - Winterbottom, Boyce, Coggan and crew have done just that - created A phenomenal piece of work. This is the artist's hand steadily at play. A collaborative comedy with an underlying current that reminds us of how much facical our world views and sense of self vs others always leaves us wanting. By embracing a post-modern jester of his time (Sterne) and this wonderful age-old satire - Winterbottom, Boyce, Coggan and crew have done just that - created a blazing re-definition of post-modernism and as much as we hate the cliche --- it is unabashedly "ahead of it's time". As bold and awe-inspiring as the film medium has the potential to be. Brilliant. Expand
  8. RG
    Feb 28, 2007
    This is one of the fuuniest movies last year and one of the smartest in a very long time. Post modernism has never been embraced so beautifuly in a movie as this. very interesting approach taken by the film makers: Coogan plays himself, Tristram and then his father, as he just turns a father. Great chemistry between Coogan and Rydon. Rydon also plays a caricature of himself and This is one of the fuuniest movies last year and one of the smartest in a very long time. Post modernism has never been embraced so beautifuly in a movie as this. very interesting approach taken by the film makers: Coogan plays himself, Tristram and then his father, as he just turns a father. Great chemistry between Coogan and Rydon. Rydon also plays a caricature of himself and Tristram's uncle. Whatever parallels that are drawn between characters played by characters, the director himself draws by the medium of film on the book, tristram shandy. That a little hard to digest but its def worth seeing, it makes more sense when you are watching it brilliant and winterbottom is def becoming one of the best and most consistent directors. Expand
  9. JamesM.
    Jan 29, 2006
    Brilliantly directed and acted, and very funny. Fast and witty, largely centred on interplay between Coogan and Bryden, mining the charming egoism and self-indulgence of the novel itself.
  10. TomS.
    Jan 31, 2006
    A clever interpretation which is hilarious. Well worth seeing.
  11. ClaireH.
    Feb 15, 2006
    A funny, funny film. Brydon is a dellight and steals the film. In the period setting, Moran and Hawes are terrific: believable and funny.
  12. ZethB.
    Mar 12, 2006
    Excellent film, funny throughout and all the cast were perfect.
  13. VinceS.
    Mar 31, 2006
    So many of you, it seems, missed the point of the movie. The book upon which it was based was about life, and how hectic and unrelatable it is which they even say in the movie. Of course, they could never really show this in a movie, so they make it about trying to adapt the book, and it becomes a hectic mess - about life! A perfect adaption, and a brilliant look at life.
  14. BrianS.
    Apr 10, 2006
    I so enjoyed this movie, not your normal crap that gets churned out from the majors. Steve Coogan is the reason I went to this movie, and he didn't dissapoint! I haven't laughed at a movie this hard in a long time! I'm betting that people that don't like this movie, don't get the British sense of humor.
  15. Sparkle
    Jun 2, 2006
    Perfect in every way. A superbly clever adaptation with its heart in surprising places.
  16. TatianaH.
    Jul 13, 2006
    Utterly confusing and yet completely delightful. I've rarely seen a film that captured how messy life is so well, and it made me eager to read the novel itself. Plus, I became as deeply interested in the faux Coogan's life as I was in Shandy's, a rare feat when there are parallel sotrylines.
  17. JeffreyP.
    Jul 18, 2006
    Just the fact that they pulled this off and kept the spirit of the book was amazing. But the fact that it is funny and smart and engaging makes it work and work well. Those not familiar with the source material (ought to read it, but) may have a hard time "getting" it, but hopefully will still enjoy the experience.
  18. ClayF.
    Jul 24, 2006
    The person who says it fails as a mockumentary is incorrect in assuming that that's what its trying to be: would a mockumentary includea dream sequence? It is a dry comedy and character deconstruction in the style of The Office. It is not the jokes which are the source of the delight: its the unnerving courage of the filmmakers to plunge into their own dark psyches to analyse and The person who says it fails as a mockumentary is incorrect in assuming that that's what its trying to be: would a mockumentary includea dream sequence? It is a dry comedy and character deconstruction in the style of The Office. It is not the jokes which are the source of the delight: its the unnerving courage of the filmmakers to plunge into their own dark psyches to analyse and celebrate the weaknesses and frailties in us all. Expand
  19. MartinM.
    Jul 26, 2006
    Most intelligent comedy I've seen since in years, sublime brain candy. It doesn't give an inch to commercial tastes though, so if you like spectacle and easily digested morals don't bother.
  20. MartinS.
    Aug 27, 2006
    Steve Coogan is hilarious but Rob Brydon steals the movie.
  21. NeilB.
    Apr 16, 2006
    This film really does polarise viewers it seems. I'm English and saw this in Vancouver with a Canadian. It's safe to say that the Brits leaving the theatre were still laughing (even the 3 old ladies), sadly though the Canadians missed the in-jokes and seemingly the whole point. The references to characters and actors all make it so much more enjoyable for those in on the joke, This film really does polarise viewers it seems. I'm English and saw this in Vancouver with a Canadian. It's safe to say that the Brits leaving the theatre were still laughing (even the 3 old ladies), sadly though the Canadians missed the in-jokes and seemingly the whole point. The references to characters and actors all make it so much more enjoyable for those in on the joke, Knowing Alan Partridge, Knowing The Jokes. Me? I cryed laughing at times and found it refreshing and innovative. Having said that, I'm a Brit, so...ah ha! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    A successful mix of literary adaptation, meta-fictional discourse and inside-showbiz comedy. Both funny and clever.
  2. Long deemed unfilmable, the 18th century novel finds the perfect interpreters in director Michael Winterbottom and actor Steve Coogan.
    Has about a dozen layers of in-joke, and up to the eighth or ninth layer, they mostly work.