7.2

1. Mar 17, 2014
    It look's like some sort of low budget documentary it has some good scenes that i saw on trailer and i tried to watch it but noo it's just a waste of time.
  2. Feb 17, 2014
    This is one of the best movies I've ever seen for so many reasons. And just to get it out now - this movie isn't a horror movie. It's a beast of it's own.
    Found footage. This is one of the cases, in which this style of directing helps the story and mood of the film very much, You feel everything is so real just because of this style, and this is probably the only movie that has done it so
    well - yes, better than Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity. All of the effects used in this movie are very nicely done, especially considering the budget. It has loads of CGI, some of which looks more and more dated by the month, but it doesn't stop it from having great animation and believable designs. In other words - this movie is extremely faithful to actual troll mythology to the point that you can't help it but be intranced in what it wants to show you. I felt legitimately excited everytime a troll came on screen.
    The plot of the movie starts out slow and evolves into something pretty generic, but ends up in places where I haven't seen many movies go. This movie has one of the most epic endings that I have ever seen, and I can't actually even think of another movie that comes even close to what this movie did. The ending itself was a bit dissapointing though, but to be honest - I've not seen many FFH movies with good endings, it's like the directors and writers don't know what to do with the tape in the end, but it doesn't matter.
    Trollhunter is not a movie, it's a very intriguing and well directed journey. If you havent seen this movie, you owe it to yourself to do so. It's a very underated hidden gem that will surprise you.
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    If you love fantasy based in a vast, aesthetically beautiful land with grandiose creatures that dwarf people this movie is great for that.
    I just want a expansion on this world of trolls and the hunters experience in life.
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    The real driving force of the last decade is the attempt to turn the most illogical and mythical elements that have been in cinema for years, into a believable and often more humanising take, Christopher Nolan did it with Batman, but a more candid approach is the found footage style, Trollhunter takes the ridiculous and turns it into a frightening, exciting but also believable experience. It's not the most polished of "found footage" films or mockumentary styles, but it attempts to add some impressive visuals for a small budget while also presenting this as a real thing, which it isn't. Three excited Norway students as they follow a man who isn't what everyone thinks he is, Hans (Otto Jespersen) is believed to be a poacher, taking out all the bears that are being found dead, but he actually hunts trolls, real, large and very much alive trolls, but the humour aside, the film manages to give a convincing account of Hans, a typical loner who has his truck kitted out with big lights and random medicinal supplies, while he sports a beard and fedora hat, this man seems crazy, as the students keep pointing out, but he soon starts to make sense when the young adults see exactly what he is hunting. The film is shot in a way that we have dark lighting to attempt to mask the trolls in full beam, it certainly adds a more intense and sombre feel, but what is lacking is the acting, it's too put on to be believed as a documentary, we of course need to maintain the fact that this isn't real, but it still has typical blockbuster cliches with forced dialogue to highlight a problem and silly quips to gloss over an issue.
    But it's inaccuracies and unexplained plot points aside, there is definitely a lot to admire about this edgy film, it takes a subject that isn't really explored and manages to add spice, we get full descriptions as to why they turn to stone or explode, details are certainly very informative, but the film still leaves holes and is sometimes too funny and ridiculous to take notice. Not the most impressive or serious footage film, but a battling and scary final act sets this film up to be a classic amongst the found footage era, combining flashes of genius in regards to what can be done on a budget and with a few night vision moments, it breaks new ground in the supernatural area much like 'Chronicle' did with its superhero element, but takes a lesser known subject matter which is known for kids but nothing much further, and turn it into something plausible, the young actors let the film down, but it still stands on its own feet and brings something different to the table.
  5. Jul 16, 2013
    An entertaining movie. It has some flaws, but the movie is build up in a way that makes it ok. Like how the characters react in some situations, but the movie does`nt try to be anything more than it is. You have to watch it with a "Twinkle in the". It has some elements "from the real world" mixed in it (sorry my bad English), who makes it very funny, but maybe only Scandinavians pick this up. I think its entertaining for everyone who likes the genre, but maybe you have to be from Norway/Scandinavian to pick up everything that makes it a 10.. Expand
  6. Apr 14, 2013
    Trollhunter is pretty easily my favorite movie of all time. I'm a big fan of the Sci-fi genre and the Found Footage genre and this is my favorite in both catagories.
  7. Apr 20, 2012
    An interesting film, yes it did lose it's build up of tension. But it was something different compared to what Hollywood films are. The Norwegian language makes it a lot more entertaining and just adds a nice feel to it. It's got a subtle atmosphere and there's nothing much to say really. I mean, it's just something different.
  8. Feb 14, 2012
    A Norwegian "Blair Witch Project" style mockumentary about a hunter after trolls gone wild is almost as surreal as it sounds. Not sure what to make of the result but I can only assume it might be worth exploring the prospect of watching it whilst wearing a top hat, a ballerina dress and swimming flippers whilst popping acid.
  9. Feb 7, 2012
    Great movie - good effects even though its fairly lowbudget. History is ok, and the troll are HC Andersen adventure like, which fits the atmosphere of the movie (pardon my spelling im from Denmark)
  10. Jan 26, 2012
    Troll Hunter is the latest in the rapidly tiring trend of handheld camera mockumentary films. It documents a group of students following a mysterious poacher (Otto Jespersen) who turns out to be a troll hunter, tasked with keeping the population of these mythical creatures under control, and to prevent them coming into contact with humans. This story is intriguing at first, and there's some nice allusions to folklore woven into the narrative (trolls turning to stone in sunlight, their tendency to hide under bridges), but it rapidly deteriorates into drudgery. The trolls that are so central to the plot are very convincing, and some great visual effects and sound design has gone into their creation, but the film's limited budget means we don't see them on screen nearly often enough. I also question the decision to make the film a mockumentary - though this style is entertaining enough at first, and makes the story slightly more believable, it is far too limiting a filmic device in terms of what the viewer can actually see, and especially in terms of characterisation. Had Troll Hunter been filmed simply as a conventional narrative film, we might have had more opportunity to get to know our characters, but as it is, they remain enigmas, both when behind the camera or when running for their lives in front of it. The story as a whole, primarily due to the way it is filmed, is very uneven in terms of pace. Whenever any kind of momentum or tension is successfully built up, it is lost in the very next scene by some clunky expositional dialogue or a scene that is particularly jarring in its change in tone from the rest of the film. What Troll Hunter does get right (though, again, you would appreciate it more in a more conventionally filmed movie) is that it makes the most of the stunning Norwegian landscape in which the story is set. The action (at least, what action there is) takes place in a huge variety of atmospheric locations - from dark, creepy forests to claustrophobic caverns to open, mountainous plateaus. The film's stunning finale takes place in the latter setting, and this desolate, snow-covered vista is perfect for the final showdown with a particularly big, particularly nasty troll. Troll Hunter has an interesting premise, and the production design, sound and visual effects are top-notch, but an unevenly paced plot, underdevelopment of characters and the use of a tired format detracts from the overall viewing experience. I sincerely hope the trend for mockumentaries is close to dying out, as it's becoming a bit of an annoyance, and unless you're the rare exception to the rule (Cloverfield) it's just an excuse to film things badly, and dispense with character altogether. Expand
  11. Sep 14, 2011
    I didnt see this as a horror nor as a comedy; I saw it as original and interesting. It's about the trollhunter and how he deals with his job and life. And I take my job seriously and i get angry sometimes but I also have some fun in it and funny things happen. It's that real life association to such a strange concept that makes it work

It's great fun, if you go in not expecting a horror
    or a comedy. Expand
  12. Sep 2, 2011
    This was supposed to be a comedy / horror type of movie, and yet it was not at all scary or funny. Still, it was fun (except for the overly repeated running with the camera sequences), and decently made.
  13. Aug 25, 2011
    You know a film with this title is going to be a comedy it has to be. The problem with TrollHunter is that you can't tell when the comedy begins and the drama of a situation ends. Don't get me wrong there are some very funny lines like "Why couldn't he just say he was Christian." However these funny moments are rare leaving me to question the exact intentions of such a silly silly concept.
  14. Aug 20, 2011
    Hmm. Its alright. Its cloverfield and blair witch project combined. But it has no real tension and it feels like its missing pieces...probably due to editing. The ending is very disappointing.
  15. Jun 26, 2011
    It's a "fun" Blair Witch rip-off that unfortunately makes its big reveal in the trailer and about half way through the film. After you see the first troll and how it's dealt with, the suspense is gone, and you're just wondering how big the biggest troll will get. Yes, the comedic plays on the traditions (the blood of a Christian Man, etc.) are giggle-worthy, but the whole thing is just flat enough to not put it over the top into recommended territory. Expand
  16. Jun 13, 2011
    You know what this movie is? It's something stuck up reviewers have forgotten how to experience. Fun. I mean, what could be more fun than watching a manic chase scene involving a giant three-headed troll? Okay, maybe doing so with popcorn.

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Sep 5, 2011
    You might need to take a Norwegian guide along to explain various local references and identify the specific trolls, but Troll Hunter's proud cultural identity - tremble, a US remake is in the works - is its strongest suit. It's wry, spectacular fun.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jul 1, 2011
    Trollhunter has a lot of down time as the crew treks to the fjords, but it's also got dryly subversive humor and, eventually, some impressive special effects.
  3. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Jun 30, 2011
    It's contrived, but that doesn't keep it from being kinda nifty.