TRON: Legacy

7.1

1. Apr 2, 2011
    The only positive things about this movie are the special effects and Jeff Bridges. Their plot was incredibly bad, almost to the point where I left the movie theatre. If you can overlook writing and a plot that any amateur could have done, the special effects are worth seeing, but I wouldn't waste my time on it knowing what I know now.
  2. Dec 19, 2010
    Hated it! The Tron movie absolutely stinks. I'm a real fan of science fiction movies like the matrix, inception, and avatar, but Tron did absolutely nothing for me with its unengaging storyline. The 3d visual effects were cool in the beginning but the movie had no emotional substance and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Don't waste your money on this clunker. Tron is a dud.
  3. Dec 17, 2010
    Is this what we've become? Applauding a less than mediocre attempt to jumpstart our childhoods? Sorry, this is just a bad movie. Sure, it winks at the original. Sure, the dude is cool. Sure, it's very very pretty to look at. But, what do you walk away with? What motivation is there for more? As bit would say: Nonononononono! Bad script. Boring for about 85%. I walked out sad. The lightIs this what we've become? Applauding a less than mediocre attempt to jumpstart our childhoods? Sorry, this is just a bad movie. Sure, it winks at the original. Sure, the dude is cool. Sure, it's very very pretty to look at. But, what do you walk away with? What motivation is there for more? As bit would say: Nonononononono! Bad script. Boring for about 85%. I walked out sad. The light cycle match was beautiful. Stay for that, then just go. The critics are right.......and I hate critics. Expand
  4. Dec 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Try to look up Tron and you get Legacy on the net. And what was the girl's name in the first film? A Michelle P knock off...Olivia Wilde is hot but so what? It's basically the film redone, but, again, who cares? Good effects don't make a film. Yeah, in this case, the first film was better. Better villain, etc. Too bad. Glad I spent no more than 7 dollars U.S. on it. Didn't waste my time with 3D or IMAX either. Best lines are throw-away. Some times life is more than just wants and needs...but life seldom goes beyond that. Libations for every one...because I can't stand the fact I'm sober and having had 2 plus hours wasted afternoon. Expand
  5. Jan 4, 2011
    This was so bad that I would have walked out of it if I had been by myself. The dialog and the characters were ABYSMAL and there was absolutely nothing special about the special effects. I can't Jeff bridges agreed to this complete crap-fest.
  6. Jan 4, 2011
    weak. weak weak weak. nothing surprised me or stopped me from almost taking a mid movie nap. had to keep shoving popcorn in my mouth to stay awake. fight scenes were pretty cool, but storyline was generic, just disney once again taking a possible awesome movie and making it an average piece of sh@#.
  7. Jan 9, 2011
    That was the worst movie of the year I could barely sit through it.The storyline was awful so they try to make up for it with special effects.they try to wow you with 3D which wasnt so special because every movie has that now.Do yourself a favour and dont see this film
  8. Feb 9, 2011
    I took my younger brother to see this movie, and we wanted to walk out of the theater it was so boring. This movie was trully disapointing. The begining was pretty good, but then got boring, and the ending was completely predictable. I watched the origanal Tron and it was very good, and sadly this movie killed it. WASTE OF MONEY!
  9. Dec 17, 2010
    Wow. The visuals were great but that's about it. The dialog is so bad it feels like they found TRON fanfiction online and decided to run with it as a script. At one point, a very zealous security guard chases the main character to the very top of a sky scraper, and greets him with, "Hey! didn't anyone ever tell you that stealing is wrong!"
    I chuckled - thinking it was supposed to be
    I chuckled - thinking it was supposed to be funny in an off-beat 90's-action-film hipster way; then the movie went on and i realize that it wasn't a joke, it was the dialog's ceiling of creativity.

The actor who plays the main character is so devoid of emotional inflection in his speaking, it's like he's never actually talked to another person in his life and is basing his role on what he's heard human communication is like. The girl from house is pretty good actress, but the real Jeff Bridges is the only ceaselessly good actor in the whole movie. The young, CGI, beowulf version of Bridges bizarrely falls far into the uncanny valley. His plastic artificialness is most apparent during a "rousing" speech he gives, during which it's noticeable that his face never creases when he talks, and his lips don't sync up with his words.

Also, what was up with Cillian Murphy at the beginning playing a shady member of the board who's implied to be behind the leak of ENCOM's OS, only to never be seen again for the rest of the movie?
    And why's it called TRON when you only "see" him (helmet) for a total of maybe 28 seconds in the whole movie? The user score really shames me that a country, once the intellectual leader of the world, is full of so many people who think movies are only about special effects. I give it a 1 just for how visually impressive it was, but hopefully next time they put as much time and money into finding a good screen writer and set of actors as they did into making Sam Flynn's clothes all sparkly.
  10. Dec 19, 2010
    Overall disappointing. Amazing CG and music. OK 3D effect. Unfortunately, simpleminded "for 6 year olds" plotting and movie grinds to a halt several time for droning "backstory/exposition" dialogue. Certainly not a strong story to go with the pretty visuals. Jeff Bridges is wasted.
  11. Dec 18, 2010
    This film was terrible. It was worse than the origional. at least the origional had a story and plot, much like the new star wars films. Like why did they keep the disks on there backs where there easy to steal........also if the army went through the portal they would all end up in a small room which would cause the world to implode.......

To sum up if you want to see a good film dont

To sum up if you want to see a good film dont see this...see never back down. that film is amazing and well deserved its oscar.
  12. Jan 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This isn't at any means a good movie. It fails in each aspect; the only positive of the movie are its special effects. Can't believe someone would give it anything more than a 4. It doesn't deserve nothing near it, as the script has nothing appealing and fails to get one's attention. The whole forced drama plot is preposterous and Olivia Wilde's character is just absurd. Kevin's horribly acted and seems to play God, (at least this is how Quorra seems to see him; her speech about Kevin was embarrassing.)

And then, there's a whole "good VS evil" thing going on, while the characters don't have any real depth and just lack charisma. One of the worst films I've seen in a while, as it's appeal is only visual (and the effects aren't as breathtaking as comments try to induce). It is kind of the new "Avatar": nice effects. Terrible script.

I seriously advice everyone to stay away of this one. I loved Jeff Bridges when he did The Big Lebowski, or when he did The Men Who Stare at Goats. But now despite his efforts there's no way I'm finding his character convincing nor real.

3/10, more like a 1/5.
  13. Jan 7, 2011
    Visually gorgeous, yet abysmally retarded, this outrageously poor follow-up to such a ground-breaking film was better off left in someone's mind. While I'm not averse to the movie-with-a-message, this movie was so ridiculously PC it made me openly groan several times during the movie. Instead of respecting the first film's cutting edge theme, the filmmakers chose to one-up the graphics,Visually gorgeous, yet abysmally retarded, this outrageously poor follow-up to such a ground-breaking film was better off left in someone's mind. While I'm not averse to the movie-with-a-message, this movie was so ridiculously PC it made me openly groan several times during the movie. Instead of respecting the first film's cutting edge theme, the filmmakers chose to one-up the graphics, which with 25+ years-later technology available, I would certainly expect, and dumb-down (while simultaneously backslapping the heart) the concept that was so pioneering that it was better left alone. Unfortunately, in between weak, watered-down action scenes, we get elementary dialogue, poor acting and way too many messages about why building the perfect digital world has made us neglect and forget the perfect world in which we already live. To top it off, we have a techie-gone-hippie Kevin Flynn, played by a tepid performance by Jeff Bridges who can't help but occasionally morph into "The Dude." Sure, we all change as we get older. And, absolutely, we come to appreciate the world around us more as we increase with age, but this movie needed a Wachowski Brothers-like approach to the action and deep theme in order to warrant any serious consideration. Instead it was written by people who have spent more time on CW teen dramas than anything of technical substance. If you haven't seen it and love the first one, don't waste your time or memories on Tron Legacy. Expand
  14. Dec 31, 2010
    Crap. Weak story, poor character development, and a dumb paint by numbers climax. The only thing that makes this worth seeing is the visuals and even they are merely okay. What a disappointment. Three of us where bored and ready to leave the theatre. Let's hope in another 20 years they do a better job of TRON 3. Even Jeff Bridges was boring in this one. Disney has had two cracks atCrap. Weak story, poor character development, and a dumb paint by numbers climax. The only thing that makes this worth seeing is the visuals and even they are merely okay. What a disappointment. Three of us where bored and ready to leave the theatre. Let's hope in another 20 years they do a better job of TRON 3. Even Jeff Bridges was boring in this one. Disney has had two cracks at this franchise and still haven't made a good movie. Call Pixar, Walt.

p.s. - Michael Sheen was the lone bright spot in an otherwise waste of effort.
    p.p.s. - Okay, the ladies looked wonderful too.
  15. Dec 30, 2010
    I can't say much without spoiling the whole movie so I won't. I will say the story is too simple and slightly confusing. The special effects aren't that great and Jeff's CGI face looks like a bad PS2 game especially when put next to real humans. The combat (ground and ship) is never satisfying or impressive, and the characters are all shallow and cliche.

There's literally nothing to see

There's literally nothing to see here that's enjoyable or hasn't been done to death. Very disappointing.
  16. Dec 26, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Daft punk's soundtrack is outstanding, but is hard to think of any other reason to watch the movie. The visuals are great? Indeed they are. But you can't stand watching a whole movie only for its visuals, specially as they are the same in all the movie. It seems that the designers first created wonderful images, but then run out of ideas. Action sequences were not as entertaining as they should have been and the plot was developed terribly. There was never tension, and the audience never really connects with any character. Acting is good, though not great. Jeff Bridges, Olivia Wilde and Beau Garrett did a great job. Hedlund's Sam Flynn is however a soulless character; he acts as if he was a bored teenager playing videogames all the time. There was more humanity in Quorra, a 'program', than in Sam, the 'user'. Expand
  17. Jun 11, 2011
    This is a lifeless, dull film that looks as drab as the script reads. But the major issue I have with the film is that it so often looks "real". A shiny solid slick place instead of a realm made of bits and bytes.
  18. Jun 6, 2011
    Crap.. what more can I say.

Umkay, I can say more... I pity the artists who worked on this, as much of what they created was an innovative twist on unimaginative themes. The 3d/2d artists deserve some cred, for doing what they did within the the clearly claustrophobic confines of the director. Everyone else... u suck!!! Horrible writing, acting, directing..... horrible, unwatchable crap
    Crap.. what more can I say.

Everyone else... u suck!!! Horrible writing, acting, directing..... horrible, unwatchable crap all around.

You get a 2, because you are sort of psyfi, and not Lex (which is beyond horrible)... be grateful for Lex, or you would get -5... ok, zero, as that's as low as it goes. Lex made everything to come after better by being so god-awfully bad--stupid Canadians, what where you thinking.
  19. Jan 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm glad someone told me to watch Jeff Bridges like he was playing Lebowski because it made the film more entertaining. I actually really like the story of this film, but its just done so badly. It looks amazing but no one looks like they care about anything, ''Look we're in a Tron movie!'' kinda thing. I didn't care about any of the characters apart from Tron himself but then stopped caring about him when his change of heart isn't even explained. The music is great too, but the film is just flat as hell. It's a shame too, because like I said, the actually backbone story of the film could of been very interesting if done right. Expand
  20. Jul 1, 2012
    This is just another movie witch try's to impress you with special effects and a weak story sort of boring for most of it. The world of Tron is cool but that's the only really interesting thing about this film. Overall Tron was a awful film. Tron Legacy 3.8/10
  21. Apr 13, 2015
    Predictable, cliche, dull, uneventful, contrived by the numbers cash grab. Some pretty visuals. Decent acting though not outstanding. Nightmarish CGI on Jeff Bridges face. Gets the most mileage out of playing up nostalgia but that wears thin about half way through.
  22. Aug 3, 2013
    This movie gets a 1 for me only because of the visuals and the music. I torrented this because I had a feeling it wouldn't be worth my money and boy was I right. A ridiculous plot with plot holes you could drive a tank through, some truly terrible performances and the title character being a bad guy for most of the film (not that you would even notice unless you were really payingThis movie gets a 1 for me only because of the visuals and the music. I torrented this because I had a feeling it wouldn't be worth my money and boy was I right. A ridiculous plot with plot holes you could drive a tank through, some truly terrible performances and the title character being a bad guy for most of the film (not that you would even notice unless you were really paying attention) before changing sides for no discernable reason to help the good guys win. This film is horrible and should not be watched by anyone. Expand
  23. Nov 20, 2013
    TRON ecstasy.
    The entire movie is dull, boring, and feels completely fake. The characters are bland and unbelievable, the effects are good, but the dialogue is terrible. The film feels like its simply riding the coat tails of its predecessor, and never grows into its shoes.
  24. Sep 27, 2015
    This movie is atrocious. Everything in it either strains the eyes, or is repeated over and over again to drive the point into the little kiddies' brains who haven't even seen the original. Do we really need to hear over and over again that this or that happened? The plot is hard to follow and doesn't make any sense. I continue seeing people say that the special effects are good, but with aThis movie is atrocious. Everything in it either strains the eyes, or is repeated over and over again to drive the point into the little kiddies' brains who haven't even seen the original. Do we really need to hear over and over again that this or that happened? The plot is hard to follow and doesn't make any sense. I continue seeing people say that the special effects are good, but with a budget of $170 million dollars, I think they could do better than L.E.D. lights. The only good thing I can say about it is that the soundtrack is amazing. I can honestly say I would listen to it in my free time. This movie is insulting to the fans of the original. It's like a giant middle finger from Disney. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 17, 2010
    When director Joseph Kosinski flips the switch on action, TRON: Legacy is entertaining enough. Especially in 3D IMAX, with a mega-audio system booming Deft Punk's droning Xbox-ready musical score, nearly drowning out the collisions.
  2. Reviewed by: John DeVore
    Dec 17, 2010
    Tron: Legacy will only be enjoyed by men in their thirties and early forties searching for a Proustian moment.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 17, 2010
    That's the culture we live in, where the once-proscribed Pleasure Principle has become iron law and where the recycled, bloated, fish-belly emptiness of something like TRON: Legacy carries boredom to extravagant new heights.