7.1

1. Jan 25, 2014
    All style, no substance. Impressive in the audio/visual department, with little going on elsewhere. When it finishes recreating scenes from the 1982 film, it's bland, predictable and boring.
  2. Nov 20, 2013
    TRON ecstasy.
    The entire movie is dull, boring, and feels completely fake. The characters are bland and unbelievable, the effects are good, but the dialogue is terrible. The film feels like its simply riding the coat tails of its predecessor, and never grows into its shoes.
  3. Aug 3, 2013
    This movie gets a 1 for me only because of the visuals and the music. I torrented this because I had a feeling it wouldn't be worth my money and boy was I right. A ridiculous plot with plot holes you could drive a tank through, some truly terrible performances and the title character being a bad guy for most of the film (not that you would even notice unless you were really payingThis movie gets a 1 for me only because of the visuals and the music. I torrented this because I had a feeling it wouldn't be worth my money and boy was I right. A ridiculous plot with plot holes you could drive a tank through, some truly terrible performances and the title character being a bad guy for most of the film (not that you would even notice unless you were really paying attention) before changing sides for no discernable reason to help the good guys win. This film is horrible and should not be watched by anyone. Expand
  4. Jan 23, 2013
    The idea is original, but the movie is painful.
  5. Jul 1, 2012
    This is just another movie witch try's to impress you with special effects and a weak story sort of boring for most of it. The world of Tron is cool but that's the only really interesting thing about this film. Overall Tron was a awful film. Tron Legacy 3.8/10
  6. Apr 14, 2012
    TRON: Legacy may be visually spectacular, but it's an incredibly flawed film, even for a shamelessly profit-driven Disney Blockbuster. It begins well enough, with satisfying links to the original film, and the first hour or so is pretty entertaining and energetic storytelling. Garrett Hedlund, while not the most talented actor or compelling protagonist in film history, has the rightTRON: Legacy may be visually spectacular, but it's an incredibly flawed film, even for a shamelessly profit-driven Disney Blockbuster. It begins well enough, with satisfying links to the original film, and the first hour or so is pretty entertaining and energetic storytelling. Garrett Hedlund, while not the most talented actor or compelling protagonist in film history, has the right confidence and swagger about him to convincingly portray Jeff Bridges' son. Bruce Boxleitner is decent in his reprisal of the role of Alan Bradley/Tron, but his role this time round is a little limited. Michael Sheen unquestionably steals the show as the flamboyant Bowie-esque nightclub owner Castor. Olivia Wilde is pretty awful as Quorra, and her character is nonsensical, even for a film about someone being transformed into computer code, but the real disappointment is Jeff Bridges who looks bored as the old Flynn and downright terrifying as the de-aged Flynn/CLU. The script is also dire, and the story becomes offensively dumb from about an hour in. Thank goodness for the fantastically catchy electronic soundtrack provided by Daft Punk - it almost makes up for the inconsistency of the rest of the film...almost. TRON: Legacy has fantastic visuals and competent action, and a standout performance from Michael Sheen, but it's been a while since I've seen another film that's so moronic and packed with bad ideas. And I'm sure the filmmakers got Cillian Murphy in for a two minute sequence for some reason...but I sure as heck don't know what that reason was. Expand
  7. Feb 20, 2012
    Visually, it is amazing. The main problem is that the movie is hard to follow towards the middle, and suffers because of it. See it for the effects, but not for the story.
  8. Jan 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm glad someone told me to watch Jeff Bridges like he was playing Lebowski because it made the film more entertaining. I actually really like the story of this film, but its just done so badly. It looks amazing but no one looks like they care about anything, ''Look we're in a Tron movie!'' kinda thing. I didn't care about any of the characters apart from Tron himself but then stopped caring about him when his change of heart isn't even explained. The music is great too, but the film is just flat as hell. It's a shame too, because like I said, the actually backbone story of the film could of been very interesting if done right. Expand
  9. Jan 7, 2012
    Eh. Cool special effects. That's about it. That's all I expected though. But I must say, the soundtrack was stellar. Daft Punk did an amazing job and I'd like to see them do another movie.
  10. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a nutshell: Movie wasn't that good. Olivia Wilde made it watchable, but hell, she makes anything watchable. CLU's CGI face was truly awful. Now, I'm a pretty big scifi fan. My shelves right now are littered with Star Trek TOS novels. I also own an almost complete collection of BattleTech novels. I'm well versed in the science fiction genre. But hell's bells, I still had no **** idea what was so special about those goddamn ISOs. Last time I checked, an ISO was something I mounted to my Daemon Tools to pirate software. They do a really piss poor job of explaining exactly what's so amazing and world-altering about these ISOs. They're just these magical miracles and it's gonna change religion and push the boundaries of human civilization and... and what the **** Why? Why are they so amazing? This is never ever explained with any degree of clarity or satisfaction. I mean, they just look like regular Tron programs with some tattoos. And Quorra seems perkier then everybody else. That's it. That's the only difference I can tell. There needed to be way more explanation. And yeah, I've heard that Tron Evolution actually does go into it and explain the ISOs in more detail, but cmon. You shouldn't have to play a video game to get a key plotpoint in your film.

And really, this is supposed to be a Disney film marketed to children, right? If I, a 25 year old guy who reads tons of scifi can't figure this out, how's a kid supposed to?

Also, a roast pig? Why is there a roast pig in there? Where did he come up with a pig? Do you even need to eat food while in the Grid? Aren't they all digitized? Later on, they have Quorra drinking some blue vial, like it's energy. The disconnect between those two scenes is huge. And uh, how did Flynn come up with all those volumes of old books? Tolstoy, Dosteovsky, Jules Verne? Did he memorize all those books? Did he pull a "Book of Eli?" That seems unlikely, no? Then where did they come from? Were they already on the computer mainframe? Why would these books be on a corporate mainframe? You might say that those works are available on the internet, but this mainframe isn't hooked up to the internet. It couldn't be, because it's about 30 years old, and having an internet connection available to CLU would be really uh, dangerous.

Lightcycle sequence was great, but that was right at the 30 or 40 minute mark. They never ever managed to come close to that setpiece in the second or third act. It's like Superman Returns, where you just get the airplane rescue and then nothing else exciting happens. You can't just blow your wad in the first act and call it a day. There needed to be more great scenes like that, but it never took off. The ending action sequence with the airplanes dogfighting was kinda boring. And I'm not really sure what that last maneuver was. Did they just fly higher and higher until both planes stalled and fell back down? I'm not 100% clear, but it seems like that's what they did. But... why would airplanes in the Grid stall? They're in a computer program, do aerodynamics and the properties of lift have to conform exactly to the real world? It seems kinda silly, doesn't it?
  11. Jun 11, 2011
    This is a lifeless, dull film that looks as drab as the script reads. But the major issue I have with the film is that it so often looks "real". A shiny solid slick place instead of a realm made of bits and bytes.
  12. Jun 6, 2011
    Crap.. what more can I say.

Umkay, I can say more... I pity the artists who worked on this, as much of what they created was an innovative twist on unimaginative themes. The 3d/2d artists deserve some cred, for doing what they did within the the clearly claustrophobic confines of the director. Everyone else... u suck!!! Horrible writing, acting, directing..... horrible, unwatchable crap
    Crap.. what more can I say.

Everyone else... u suck!!! Horrible writing, acting, directing..... horrible, unwatchable crap all around.

You get a 2, because you are sort of psyfi, and not Lex (which is beyond horrible)... be grateful for Lex, or you would get -5... ok, zero, as that's as low as it goes. Lex made everything to come after better by being so god-awfully bad--stupid Canadians, what where you thinking.
  13. Apr 2, 2011
    The only positive things about this movie are the special effects and Jeff Bridges. Their plot was incredibly bad, almost to the point where I left the movie theatre. If you can overlook writing and a plot that any amateur could have done, the special effects are worth seeing, but I wouldn't waste my time on it knowing what I know now.
  14. Feb 19, 2011
    Its really not worth watching. No seriously. The graphics are gr8.... The weapon used is a frisbee i mean come on seriously. The vehicle was sexy. And costumes were how do i put this ahhh awkward. yah. The story was just fine. The background was plain n more empty(in the program). Ya dats abt it.
  15. Feb 14, 2011
    Do NOT see this movie. Although the costumes, visual effects, and sounds are state of the art, the rest of this movie just sucks. Although Jeff Bridges once again comes through in his acting, its not enough to make this movie watchable
  16. Feb 9, 2011
    I took my younger brother to see this movie, and we wanted to walk out of the theater it was so boring. This movie was trully disapointing. The begining was pretty good, but then got boring, and the ending was completely predictable. I watched the origanal Tron and it was very good, and sadly this movie killed it. WASTE OF MONEY!
  17. Jan 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This isn't at any means a good movie. It fails in each aspect; the only positive of the movie are its special effects. Can't believe someone would give it anything more than a 4. It doesn't deserve nothing near it, as the script has nothing appealing and fails to get one's attention. The whole forced drama plot is preposterous and Olivia Wilde's character is just absurd. Kevin's horribly acted and seems to play God, (at least this is how Quorra seems to see him; her speech about Kevin was embarrassing.)

And then, there's a whole "good VS evil" thing going on, while the characters don't have any real depth and just lack charisma. One of the worst films I've seen in a while, as it's appeal is only visual (and the effects aren't as breathtaking as comments try to induce). It is kind of the new "Avatar": nice effects. Terrible script.

I seriously advice everyone to stay away of this one. I loved Jeff Bridges when he did The Big Lebowski, or when he did The Men Who Stare at Goats. But now despite his efforts there's no way I'm finding his character convincing nor real.

3/10, more like a 1/5.
  18. Jan 9, 2011
    That was the worst movie of the year I could barely sit through it.The storyline was awful so they try to make up for it with special effects.they try to wow you with 3D which wasnt so special because every movie has that now.Do yourself a favour and dont see this film
  19. Jan 8, 2011
    I have this film kinda sucked. The story was weak and so was the script. Jeff bridges in this film, as his older Self doesn't seem to do much or no way near as much as the first anyway. His CGI self, although much more involved, doesn't look great as his cold dead eyes distracts you from the films otherwise spectacular visuals. I seriously think that the only good thing was Olivia Wilde.I have this film kinda sucked. The story was weak and so was the script. Jeff bridges in this film, as his older Self doesn't seem to do much or no way near as much as the first anyway. His CGI self, although much more involved, doesn't look great as his cold dead eyes distracts you from the films otherwise spectacular visuals. I seriously think that the only good thing was Olivia Wilde. But seriously Disney, if your going to make another one, improve on the story! Expand
  20. Jan 7, 2011
    Visually gorgeous, yet abysmally retarded, this outrageously poor follow-up to such a ground-breaking film was better off left in someone's mind. While I'm not averse to the movie-with-a-message, this movie was so ridiculously PC it made me openly groan several times during the movie. Instead of respecting the first film's cutting edge theme, the filmmakers chose to one-up the graphics,Visually gorgeous, yet abysmally retarded, this outrageously poor follow-up to such a ground-breaking film was better off left in someone's mind. While I'm not averse to the movie-with-a-message, this movie was so ridiculously PC it made me openly groan several times during the movie. Instead of respecting the first film's cutting edge theme, the filmmakers chose to one-up the graphics, which with 25+ years-later technology available, I would certainly expect, and dumb-down (while simultaneously backslapping the heart) the concept that was so pioneering that it was better left alone. Unfortunately, in between weak, watered-down action scenes, we get elementary dialogue, poor acting and way too many messages about why building the perfect digital world has made us neglect and forget the perfect world in which we already live. To top it off, we have a techie-gone-hippie Kevin Flynn, played by a tepid performance by Jeff Bridges who can't help but occasionally morph into "The Dude." Sure, we all change as we get older. And, absolutely, we come to appreciate the world around us more as we increase with age, but this movie needed a Wachowski Brothers-like approach to the action and deep theme in order to warrant any serious consideration. Instead it was written by people who have spent more time on CW teen dramas than anything of technical substance. If you haven't seen it and love the first one, don't waste your time or memories on Tron Legacy. Expand
  21. Jan 7, 2011
    Deriving from an understandable desire to become free beings, humanoid computer programs turn against their users/creators. However, the way they intend to achieve their freedom is morally problematic. The programs' uprising is lead by a dictatorship that is already responsible for a genocide of an alien race with the purpose to get rid of "imperfection". The movie then tries to conveyDeriving from an understandable desire to become free beings, humanoid computer programs turn against their users/creators. However, the way they intend to achieve their freedom is morally problematic. The programs' uprising is lead by a dictatorship that is already responsible for a genocide of an alien race with the purpose to get rid of "imperfection". The movie then tries to convey that the idea of perfection is often misunderstood. It claims perfection is the diversity and asymmetry appearing in nature, and therefore condemns the idea that perfection is found in geometry. This hints at the idea that geometry really is only an approximate description/a simplification of the unique wonders of the real world that helps our limited minds try to understand life. Unfortunately, most of this critical thought is not elaborated in the movie and gets lost in special effects. Expand
  22. Jan 4, 2011
    weak. weak weak weak. nothing surprised me or stopped me from almost taking a mid movie nap. had to keep shoving popcorn in my mouth to stay awake. fight scenes were pretty cool, but storyline was generic, just disney once again taking a possible awesome movie and making it an average piece of sh@#.
  23. Jan 4, 2011
    This was so bad that I would have walked out of it if I had been by myself. The dialog and the characters were ABYSMAL and there was absolutely nothing special about the special effects. I can't Jeff bridges agreed to this complete crap-fest.
  24. Dec 31, 2010
    Crap. Weak story, poor character development, and a dumb paint by numbers climax. The only thing that makes this worth seeing is the visuals and even they are merely okay. What a disappointment. Three of us where bored and ready to leave the theatre. Let's hope in another 20 years they do a better job of TRON 3. Even Jeff Bridges was boring in this one. Disney has had two cracks atCrap. Weak story, poor character development, and a dumb paint by numbers climax. The only thing that makes this worth seeing is the visuals and even they are merely okay. What a disappointment. Three of us where bored and ready to leave the theatre. Let's hope in another 20 years they do a better job of TRON 3. Even Jeff Bridges was boring in this one. Disney has had two cracks at this franchise and still haven't made a good movie. Call Pixar, Walt.

p.s. - Michael Sheen was the lone bright spot in an otherwise waste of effort.
    p.p.s. - Okay, the ladies looked wonderful too.
  25. Dec 30, 2010
    I can't say much without spoiling the whole movie so I won't. I will say the story is too simple and slightly confusing. The special effects aren't that great and Jeff's CGI face looks like a bad PS2 game especially when put next to real humans. The combat (ground and ship) is never satisfying or impressive, and the characters are all shallow and cliche.

There's literally nothing to see

There's literally nothing to see here that's enjoyable or hasn't been done to death. Very disappointing.
  26. Dec 29, 2010
    Visually stunning and comes with incredibly cool toys, Tron: Legacy still fell flat on the story and had a very dull script. The story is about the son of a virtual world designer (Garret Hedlund) goes looking for his father (Jeff Bridges) and ends up inside the digital world that his father designed. He meets his father's creation, Clue (Jeff Bridges), turned bad and a unique ally who wasVisually stunning and comes with incredibly cool toys, Tron: Legacy still fell flat on the story and had a very dull script. The story is about the son of a virtual world designer (Garret Hedlund) goes looking for his father (Jeff Bridges) and ends up inside the digital world that his father designed. He meets his father's creation, Clue (Jeff Bridges), turned bad and a unique ally who was born inside the digital domain of The Grid. Jeff Bridges played both the role of Kevin Flynn and Clue in this film. If you hadn't notice, they digitally rearranged his face so he'd look like a younger version of himself. Now talk about the 3D, sure the movie looked cool and all but the first thing popping up on the screen was "This film is not all in 3D, some of its parts will be in 2D since it is shot that way." Basically it meant the movie was converted at the end. There was not one scene that was meant for 3D that I can see. Although I loved the way the film looked and how cool the premise is, the 3D is laughable and the dialogue is annoying made Tron:Legacy fell short from its original. Expand
  27. Dec 27, 2010
    This was the worse film I've seen since "Splice" earlier this year. The four stars given are for the visuals - without them it is a one star film. Clearly this is not a good year for Science Fiction. The plot is SO slow and plodding, and the dialogue - well, you have to hear it to believe it. "Tron - What have you become?" - laughably bad. All of the money was spent on the visuals,This was the worse film I've seen since "Splice" earlier this year. The four stars given are for the visuals - without them it is a one star film. Clearly this is not a good year for Science Fiction. The plot is SO slow and plodding, and the dialogue - well, you have to hear it to believe it. "Tron - What have you become?" - laughably bad. All of the money was spent on the visuals, certainly not on the script. I'm a fan of Jeff Bridges but his talent is wasted here. The visuals are great, and I saw it in 3D and it was one of the better films to use that technique, but I found myself looking at my watch at least three times hoping it would end. Everything is totally predictable, and borrows heavily from other Sci Fi movies. If they make any more of these films I hope they concentrate more on the script next time. Expand
  28. Dec 27, 2010
    Visuals: Fantastic. Writing, direction, acting, basically everything else: Awful. It was fun to look at, though. Jeff Bridges was good. Everyone else was terrible. Whoever wrote the screenplay should never write again.
  29. Dec 26, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Daft punk's soundtrack is outstanding, but is hard to think of any other reason to watch the movie. The visuals are great? Indeed they are. But you can't stand watching a whole movie only for its visuals, specially as they are the same in all the movie. It seems that the designers first created wonderful images, but then run out of ideas. Action sequences were not as entertaining as they should have been and the plot was developed terribly. There was never tension, and the audience never really connects with any character. Acting is good, though not great. Jeff Bridges, Olivia Wilde and Beau Garrett did a great job. Hedlund's Sam Flynn is however a soulless character; he acts as if he was a bored teenager playing videogames all the time. There was more humanity in Quorra, a 'program', than in Sam, the 'user'. Expand
  30. Dec 19, 2010
    Hated it! The Tron movie absolutely stinks. I'm a real fan of science fiction movies like the matrix, inception, and avatar, but Tron did absolutely nothing for me with its unengaging storyline. The 3d visual effects were cool in the beginning but the movie had no emotional substance and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Don't waste your money on this clunker. Tron is a dud.
  31. Dec 19, 2010
    Overall disappointing. Amazing CG and music. OK 3D effect. Unfortunately, simpleminded "for 6 year olds" plotting and movie grinds to a halt several time for droning "backstory/exposition" dialogue. Certainly not a strong story to go with the pretty visuals. Jeff Bridges is wasted.
  32. Dec 18, 2010
    This film was terrible. It was worse than the origional. at least the origional had a story and plot, much like the new star wars films. Like why did they keep the disks on there backs where there easy to steal........also if the army went through the portal they would all end up in a small room which would cause the world to implode.......

To sum up if you want to see a good film dont

To sum up if you want to see a good film dont see this...see never back down. that film is amazing and well deserved its oscar.
  33. Dec 17, 2010
    Is this what we've become? Applauding a less than mediocre attempt to jumpstart our childhoods? Sorry, this is just a bad movie. Sure, it winks at the original. Sure, the dude is cool. Sure, it's very very pretty to look at. But, what do you walk away with? What motivation is there for more? As bit would say: Nonononononono! Bad script. Boring for about 85%. I walked out sad. The lightIs this what we've become? Applauding a less than mediocre attempt to jumpstart our childhoods? Sorry, this is just a bad movie. Sure, it winks at the original. Sure, the dude is cool. Sure, it's very very pretty to look at. But, what do you walk away with? What motivation is there for more? As bit would say: Nonononononono! Bad script. Boring for about 85%. I walked out sad. The light cycle match was beautiful. Stay for that, then just go. The critics are right.......and I hate critics. Expand
  34. Dec 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Try to look up Tron and you get Legacy on the net. And what was the girl's name in the first film? A Michelle P knock off...Olivia Wilde is hot but so what? It's basically the film redone, but, again, who cares? Good effects don't make a film. Yeah, in this case, the first film was better. Better villain, etc. Too bad. Glad I spent no more than 7 dollars U.S. on it. Didn't waste my time with 3D or IMAX either. Best lines are throw-away. Some times life is more than just wants and needs...but life seldom goes beyond that. Libations for every one...because I can't stand the fact I'm sober and having had 2 plus hours wasted afternoon. Expand
  35. Dec 17, 2010
    Wow. The visuals were great but that's about it. The dialog is so bad it feels like they found TRON fanfiction online and decided to run with it as a script. At one point, a very zealous security guard chases the main character to the very top of a sky scraper, and greets him with, "Hey! didn't anyone ever tell you that stealing is wrong!"
    I chuckled - thinking it was supposed to be
    I chuckled - thinking it was supposed to be funny in an off-beat 90's-action-film hipster way; then the movie went on and i realize that it wasn't a joke, it was the dialog's ceiling of creativity.

The actor who plays the main character is so devoid of emotional inflection in his speaking, it's like he's never actually talked to another person in his life and is basing his role on what he's heard human communication is like. The girl from house is pretty good actress, but the real Jeff Bridges is the only ceaselessly good actor in the whole movie. The young, CGI, beowulf version of Bridges bizarrely falls far into the uncanny valley. His plastic artificialness is most apparent during a "rousing" speech he gives, during which it's noticeable that his face never creases when he talks, and his lips don't sync up with his words.

Also, what was up with Cillian Murphy at the beginning playing a shady member of the board who's implied to be behind the leak of ENCOM's OS, only to never be seen again for the rest of the movie?
    And why's it called TRON when you only "see" him (helmet) for a total of maybe 28 seconds in the whole movie? The user score really shames me that a country, once the intellectual leader of the world, is full of so many people who think movies are only about special effects. I give it a 1 just for how visually impressive it was, but hopefully next time they put as much time and money into finding a good screen writer and set of actors as they did into making Sam Flynn's clothes all sparkly.

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 17, 2010
    When director Joseph Kosinski flips the switch on action, TRON: Legacy is entertaining enough. Especially in 3D IMAX, with a mega-audio system booming Deft Punk's droning Xbox-ready musical score, nearly drowning out the collisions.
  2. Reviewed by: John DeVore
    Dec 17, 2010
    Tron: Legacy will only be enjoyed by men in their thirties and early forties searching for a Proustian moment.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 17, 2010
    That's the culture we live in, where the once-proscribed Pleasure Principle has become iron law and where the recycled, bloated, fish-belly emptiness of something like TRON: Legacy carries boredom to extravagant new heights.