7.1

1. Dec 20, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gotta agree with the critics some on this. Probably better to watch on its own but with a title like Tron Legacy, they'd have to expect you may have seen the first one. It does not compare favorably in my opinion. I own the original Tron and love it. And this is not Tron. Too damn serious for one thing. I know the character was supposed to have heard all about the Grid from his dad's stories but he still should have inspired some sense of wonder at the place when he eventually gets in--Jeff Bridges did so much better in the original. And the visuals? The magic with the first Tron was that EVERYTHING was computer-generated. Here they have actual REAL models for the light-cycles and light-bikes. The movie was just as awkward as the dinner scene with newly reunited father and son. Cooked food? Hardcovers? In the digital realm? WTF? Some nice references to the old movie and 80's nostalgia. But it was all flash and no soul. The tech to create "young Jeff" was not as bad as it could have been. But, again, the original movie, everybody's face looked pale because of graphics not because of makeup, everybody's costume "seemed digitized" not like real tights, and whose bright idea was it to make "deresolution" look like glass breaking? There wasn't even the laser to "scan" Sam into the Grid. And no Cursor--the only nod to actual computer tech was some UNIX-looking (probably MacOS X) commands typed in. If this was an attempt at upgrading the Grid, it was mistaken. Do people expect a better, more visually complex Grid 20 years later? Yes, but they could have executed much better given that CGI today is light years ahead of where it was then. This movie supposedly continues where Tron left off and it does explore territory the original Tron didn't. But I would rather watch old Tron than new Tron. Although he was the best actor in the film, even Jeff seemed like he was more interested in making True Grit than this movie--it even comes off that way in his very few promotional appearances for it. The movie was eye-candy, but ultimately emotionless. Expand
  2. Jul 29, 2011
    keep watching this movie..... its an onslaught of incredible visuals and amazing music... can't stop listening to the soundtrack either... first time since star wars. Daft Punk... who I wasn't a fan of prior blows minds in this musical score. And the story is quite sellable and tolerable for both children and nostalgic adults alike. Tell your kid about the first Tron movie... and thenkeep watching this movie..... its an onslaught of incredible visuals and amazing music... can't stop listening to the soundtrack either... first time since star wars. Daft Punk... who I wasn't a fan of prior blows minds in this musical score. And the story is quite sellable and tolerable for both children and nostalgic adults alike. Tell your kid about the first Tron movie... and then watch this one with them. In HD. Expand
  3. Dec 18, 2010
    Tron Legacy may not have had the deepest plot, but it was a good movie. People forget that they go to the films to have fun and escape. The stylized effects mixed with Daft Punk's musical score was excellent. I enjoyed this movie and plan to buy it on release. Don't listen to the critics, they forget what movies are about.
  4. Feb 8, 2011
    A masterpiece that definitely lives up to its predecessor. However, I don't get why some critics are whining about the script/plot. It seriously wasn't that hard to follow. Personally, I had a harder time following Inception's plot, and I saw the damn movie twice!
  5. Dec 17, 2010
    An absolutely marvelous film with breathtaking visuals and beautiful art direction. So much of the spirit of the original film is in this one with references for the fans of the first movie to smile with pride for understanding. My only complaints are: there is no Bit (loved Bit in the original) and the vintage lightcycle is a great sight and it's built up, but it gets next to noAn absolutely marvelous film with breathtaking visuals and beautiful art direction. So much of the spirit of the original film is in this one with references for the fans of the first movie to smile with pride for understanding. My only complaints are: there is no Bit (loved Bit in the original) and the vintage lightcycle is a great sight and it's built up, but it gets next to no worthwhile screen time. Regardless of those complaints, it's a fantastic movie with plenty of geek fanfare and love for the fans of the original. The acting is strong, the writing sharp, and the soundtrack is undeniably awesome. I cannot recommend this film highly enough. Go see it! End of Line. Expand
  6. Dec 18, 2010
    "Words Can't Describe , the intensity , the Graphics , the Tron!. Tron Legacy is one 3D spectacle that dares to be reckoned with , its truly amicable , from the moment you enter the grid till you leave .. Tron Legacy will have you wanting more" .. A
  7. Dec 17, 2010
    Critics really are full of s*** sometimes. What a brilliant film this is! Fantastic visuals, great cast (I especially loved Olivia Wilde in this movie; her very innocent, good natured character was really cute and charming; and she was a truely awesome warrior in battle), amazing score. It was entertaining and epic; and isn't that what a movie is supposed to do? It also felt like a realCritics really are full of s*** sometimes. What a brilliant film this is! Fantastic visuals, great cast (I especially loved Olivia Wilde in this movie; her very innocent, good natured character was really cute and charming; and she was a truely awesome warrior in battle), amazing score. It was entertaining and epic; and isn't that what a movie is supposed to do? It also felt like a real tribute to the original Tron movie. Yes, the light cycles and suits were different, but it's the year 2010 now people. The 3D element was done to perfection, I especially liked how the movie starts in 2D in the real world and then shifts to 3D when Sam enters "The Grid", very clever. I enjoyed this movie so much I went to see it again today after seeing the midnight showing last night. It's a must see. Expand
  8. Dec 20, 2010
    if you hate this you where expecting to much and was disappointed. and when Disney says 3d it doesn't mean sh*t poping in your face. it means they are trying to make the movie look like it has depth.
  9. Jan 2, 2011
    This movie was awesome!!!

Disney did a perfect job on the special effects and the fight scenes.

The music was amazing, Daft Punk are a excellent duo and fit the movie completely.

I saw it in Imax 3D and I was suprised because the sound is so loud, it made the chairs vibrate I was like "I felt that!!"

Super cool movie!
  10. Jan 8, 2011
    Underrated! This is the type of film that bulds a strong cult following despite negative reviews. There are some plot holes, but really, nothing that hurts the story and nothing you could think of for an explanation as to why something happened.

I wonder why this movie was hated and really the movie itself was made for lovers of Tron. Although the family I saw it with loved it, they were confused as to who was who. Perhaps there is a cultural gap. Either way, there was no major flaw to me in this film. Lovely story, despite all the hatred towards it, a soundtrack worthy of the Oscar but will more than likely not even get the nomination due to the artists who made it, beautiful visuals, as much as people will hate to admit, film is a visual medium and without great cinematography or wonderful art direction, other films risk bleeding into each other, Tron Legacy excels just as it did in the original and will be fondly remembered because of it, and one more thing, the performances. Not a single bad performance in the bunch, everyone delivers in their own way. Director Joseph Kosinski has a great future ahead of him. He might have to make the average drama in order for people to realize it, but the man has great potential in hollywood and I hope he gets the chance to make one more film as it was intended.
  11. Dec 17, 2010
    I LOVED this movie. I had to see it twice on opening day, in 2D and 3D. I can't for the life of me understand all the hate for this film? Did you see the original or did you simply catch the highlight reel? There is a story being told here, a very well told one. The only drawbacks to the movie are some 3D scenes aren't up to snuff and CLU in his representation isn't quite there, but stillI LOVED this movie. I had to see it twice on opening day, in 2D and 3D. I can't for the life of me understand all the hate for this film? Did you see the original or did you simply catch the highlight reel? There is a story being told here, a very well told one. The only drawbacks to the movie are some 3D scenes aren't up to snuff and CLU in his representation isn't quite there, but still effective for the character. On the same hand, some of the 3D effects are simply breathtaking! The opening sequence and lead up to the final sequence were amazingly well done. The story was clear and well told, filled with interesting and lovable characters (I dare you to not fall in love with Olivia Wilde). This film is a sight to behold and is a treat for the ears. See the original Tron first, as you should with any sequel. Easily one of the best movies to come out this year. Expand
  12. Dec 19, 2010
    visuals were a billion times better than avatar and the soundtrack was unbelievable. exceeded my expectations in every way. critics are dumb, olivia wilde is a fricken babe, this movie was the best this year.
  13. Dec 18, 2010
    The critics can s*ck it. The movie was great. Great visual effects, good story and acting. Amazing score. It was definitely better than Avatar.
  14. jz3
    Dec 17, 2010
    After reading all of the negative reviews, I was surprised to find the movie to be AWESOME. It stays true to the original, while introducing enough new elements to, well, make it new.
  15. Dec 17, 2010
    Amazing visuals, sound, and acting, and the plot ain't too bad either. I have never seen a movie that has had reviews that are so far off the truth about the movie. Tron will have you immersed in beautiful visuals and beautiful sound (thank you Daft Punk) and the plot easily outclasses other sci-fi blockbusters (*cough*Avatar*cough*).

See this movie.
  16. Dec 18, 2010
    I can only say that if you want to see a movie with stunning visuals, a presentation of a new and fantastic world, a good cast and a decent story, I say go for it, but if you're the guy that sees a movie solely for moral messages, complex character development and a deep undertaking in the human mind, this isn't really a movie for you.

I enjoyed it greatly, and if you're just as geeky as

I enjoyed it greatly, and if you're just as geeky as I am about computers and worlds beyond the bonds of our own physics, you will too, I guarantee that.

For a longer and more thorough review, visit my blog at: darthsatoris blogspot com
  17. Dec 17, 2010
    I saw this at midnight showing last night and I was blown away. I was worried that it was going to suck but I kept my expectations in check and I was not dissapointed at all. It really was a good story. Its deeper than these crtics realize i guess because they were too distracted by the amazing visuals. If you like a good action movie with a good story and an amazing soundtrack you shouldI saw this at midnight showing last night and I was blown away. I was worried that it was going to suck but I kept my expectations in check and I was not dissapointed at all. It really was a good story. Its deeper than these crtics realize i guess because they were too distracted by the amazing visuals. If you like a good action movie with a good story and an amazing soundtrack you should see this. Also there is no other way to see this movie but in IMAX. Please don't see it any other way. Can't wait to get it on bluray. Expand
  18. Sio
    Dec 17, 2010
    Once again, "professional" critics are off the mark. WAY off! This movie was very entertaining and the music was perfect for it. It was beautiful, in fact. One critic said they "forgot to tell a story"...I say he forgot to pay attention. Another said the music "lacked rhythm"...to that I say TRON wasn't a dance party, it was a life-or-death struggle. The music reflected danger, fear,Once again, "professional" critics are off the mark. WAY off! This movie was very entertaining and the music was perfect for it. It was beautiful, in fact. One critic said they "forgot to tell a story"...I say he forgot to pay attention. Another said the music "lacked rhythm"...to that I say TRON wasn't a dance party, it was a life-or-death struggle. The music reflected danger, fear, and the ultimate victory that the movie was all about. Users have spoken: this was a great film and it deserves recognition. Expand
  19. Dec 17, 2010
    The critics can't seem to make up their minds with what they wanted this movie to be. I've seen complaints that it wasn't light-hearted enough just as often as I've seen people suggesting it could have dealt more with the complex problems of digital culture today.
    I don't think Legacy is trying to be either of those things. I think it's some really high-end fan service for the people who loved the original, and a really beautiful 3D experience for newbies with an interest in technology.
    Sure they didn't exploit everything they could have with the advancements in computing since 1982, but I think that would have been distracting and made the movie much too heavy. Sure, there's room for an epic story told like what critics wanted Tron to be, but that's not what I wanted and that's not really what was advertised.
    We got what we were promised. High tech, sexy, 3-D action with some likable characters, pretty women, and an awesome soundtrack.

No, it's not the best movie of all time, but it's a good one, and a damn fun ride. I gave it a ten on here to try and even things out, because it deserves more than the 51/100 the critics gave. It's at least a solid 80.
  20. Dec 19, 2010
    Come on! What are you guys talking about... the movie was great. It's TRON. The goal of movies like this is to be epic, beautiful, and other worldly - The complexity is in the visuals, the story is there to move you through them. Any special effects fan will love this film!
  21. Dec 18, 2010
    First of all, movies are meant to be enjoyed, not dissected and picked apart like some puzzle or algorithm. Tron Legacy is a Family friendly movie with keen aesthetics and balance. This story had a simple premise comprised of multiple intellectual thoughts. As this Film is clean and neat with the thought of the "what if" scenario that tries to answer as much as it can while posing more toFirst of all, movies are meant to be enjoyed, not dissected and picked apart like some puzzle or algorithm. Tron Legacy is a Family friendly movie with keen aesthetics and balance. This story had a simple premise comprised of multiple intellectual thoughts. As this Film is clean and neat with the thought of the "what if" scenario that tries to answer as much as it can while posing more to be questioned all amidst the impending fate. As far as technology goes, what else can we expect to see other than what we know in a more polished state with the aesthetic depth and crisp 3D? This movie is easy to see, great to enjoy at various levels and with a good musical backdrop and follow through. My wife who is not as technologically inclined enjoyed the movie and loved the music. You don't have to be a Nerd, Psychologist, Scientist, Hacker, or any other stereotype to enjoy this great film, that we the viewers did not have a hand in making, so by all means if anyone can do better... all said and done we were left satisfied and understood the many levels of intellect of the feature film. For those that liked the first, will no doubt enjoy this re-envisioned remake sequel that does exactly what it is supposed to in an adventure. spoilers..... spoilers

For those that doubted the resolutions and postulated questions, it is all right in front of you. Flynn after seeing the iso's form their self consciousness is taken back to the realm of possibilities from this self born AI thus leaving Clu to form feelings of jealousy, since he was bred from Flynn's own self. Then when the cu is formed Flynn is thus seen as unfit and imperfect since he went back on a perceived promise made and then Clu fights for his own perceived place on the grid by genocide on the iso's. When flynn sees that he is far from the portal and removes himself from the grid and by his own right creates a sanctuary where he finds quorra, the last surviving iso and takes her in and fills her with the knowledge he had transported over time from earth all while seeing that in his attempts to fight back at clu he only created more artifacts, which after being destroyed and re-purposed, were used by clu to continue taking control over the grid. Thus this is why Flynn went into hiding and stopped creating from within. This leads clu to his course of actions on him not being satisfied with controlling the grid and watching the programs fight to death (derezolution), but leaving him wanting to get out and populate beyond the confines of the grid. Clu dissatisfied attempts to recontact those who created both the MCP and the Grid to see if he can get a way to change the game, and then the main action of the story continues. so with that said and done, talk about religion and faith, and selflessness and why the grid did not grow more. to answer that, there was only one who could create and that was Flynn. More intent on getting the key disk now are we? Go enjoy the movie, no need to dissect.
  22. Dec 19, 2010
    This movie was great. My first "new generation" 3D movie and it delivered. Saw it in an IMAX theater and it was quite the experience, visuals were amazing and the story was good, not sure what movie some of the others are watching. It's an adventure flick, plain and simple, setting up a new world/franchise that I hope continues to grow and prosper. I heard a lot of the negative press andThis movie was great. My first "new generation" 3D movie and it delivered. Saw it in an IMAX theater and it was quite the experience, visuals were amazing and the story was good, not sure what movie some of the others are watching. It's an adventure flick, plain and simple, setting up a new world/franchise that I hope continues to grow and prosper. I heard a lot of the negative press and have to say I can't imagine why. Just sit back and enjoy the film, it's not a sermon no matter what some critics would have you believe. Who's paying them anyways, most seem to have no touch with what the public is looking for in terms of entertainment. Expand
  23. Dec 19, 2010
    This movie is fun, edgy, cool. It won't be a critic's choice, but It's better than typical Hollywood fluff. I hope they make a sequel, the story has been setup well for one. While this film has a good level of closure, there are plenty of options to take things further.
  24. Dec 20, 2010
    I'm sorry that many people (and critics) don't understand that the whole point of going to the movies is to be entertained and to escape from reality for a while. TRON Legacy is wonderfully entertaining, visually stunning, and the story is engaging and plenty full of depth, despite what you may have heard. Also Jeff Bridges delivers an exceptional performance along side other strongI'm sorry that many people (and critics) don't understand that the whole point of going to the movies is to be entertained and to escape from reality for a while. TRON Legacy is wonderfully entertaining, visually stunning, and the story is engaging and plenty full of depth, despite what you may have heard. Also Jeff Bridges delivers an exceptional performance along side other strong actors. I will agree that the CGI on young Bridges looks out of place in the "real" world, but on the grid as the tragic antagonist CLU, It is entirely convincing that he exists. The villains are very interesting and at times I found myself rooting for them because of how cool and they are, especially Michael Sheen's fabulously despicable character. I never saw the first one nor was I born in the eighties, but I still thought this movie was fantastic, it doesn't just appeal to people in their thirties who want some nostalgia. Also, it's called TRON because the first one was called TRON and because calling it CLU, Light Cycles and Laser Frisbees, or Kevin Flynn and Company's Spacey Adventure on the Grid wouldn't be as catchy. I would give it a 12 out of 10 if I could because it was just that awesome of a spectacle and story of estrangement, betrayal, political symbolism, and self-sacrifice. Also, the soundtrack is top notch, I had my doubts at first when I heard Daft Punk was doing all the music, but it has one of the best scores of any movie that I have seen. Definitely see this movie, you will be surprised at how good it is. Expand
  25. Dec 20, 2010
    Ok look you people are idiots, what do you expect when going to a movie entertainment not some deep thought provoking movie that will unravel the meaning of life of course not you go in there to watch a freekin movie. It's a moovie for peat sake. The graphics where amazing the acting was awesome the story line kept true to the tron legacy and the music was perfectly chosen. I sat throughOk look you people are idiots, what do you expect when going to a movie entertainment not some deep thought provoking movie that will unravel the meaning of life of course not you go in there to watch a freekin movie. It's a moovie for peat sake. The graphics where amazing the acting was awesome the story line kept true to the tron legacy and the music was perfectly chosen. I sat through the hole two hours and while I was in the theater I completely lost track of time and if a movie can make you feel like that than it's a great movie. So I give tron legacy a million out of a million. And let me tell you people that get a kick out of making people feel bad feel bad for working hard on something well than you can suck my left nut and if you go into a movie theater to look for the meaning of life than you might as well kill yourself because the closet thing you'll ever find to the meaning of life is staring at you straight down the barrel of a gun. So screw you an tron legacy is an amazing movie no matter if you 10 or 100. Expand
  26. Dec 20, 2010
    How can anybody not like this movie? If your argument is that it failed the original, revise your argument. This affectionate sequel paid sincere homage to its ground-breaking 80s predecessor, without being spoofy. It was clearly made with love by a director who is a much a fan of the original Tron as Chuck Bartowski is. The 3D is neither gimmicky or showy but serves to pull in theHow can anybody not like this movie? If your argument is that it failed the original, revise your argument. This affectionate sequel paid sincere homage to its ground-breaking 80s predecessor, without being spoofy. It was clearly made with love by a director who is a much a fan of the original Tron as Chuck Bartowski is. The 3D is neither gimmicky or showy but serves to pull in the audience like they have been affected by the laser as well. This is complemented by the forwards/ backwards movement in the movie which made the whole thing feel like a fairground ride. Daft Punk's soundtrack was quite simply AWESOME. The electro sound adds to the cleaned-up 80s feel of the movie and it is just so fantastically LOUD that it contributes beautifully to the immersive and disorienting experience. It isn't just the soundtrack itself that makes the movie a musical feast: Kosinski uses sound wonderfully to frame each movement, scene and mood-change that the movie is reminiscent of his very clever commercials and game trailers. it becomes very clear how he landed this gig. I'm thinking in particular of the moment, in the club/ fight scene where Flynn appears looking like a scary Dalai Lama/ Santa Claus accompanied by a cacophony of spine-tingling techno magic. You have to see it! There are not enough good words to describe Jeff Bridge's performance as the now world (and grid) weary hacker Kevin Flynn so I will plump for these stellar and so so cool. Relative newcomer Garrett Hedlund is an excellent young protagonist. I expected him to somewhat irritating (like Hayden Christensen in Attack of the Clones) but he wasn't and brought a Mark Hamil-esque quality to the piece. I have heard so much criticism of the CG which brought CLU, Flynn's creation-turned-nemesis, to life. The criticism was that compared to the surrounding characters it didn't look quite right. These people seem to be forgetting that they are comparing CG to REAL PEOPLE. Any graphics that are not quite as good as flesh as blood must be pretty good really. Remember how awesome we all thought Beowulf was.....

The overall feel of the movie is irrefutably polished and exciting. It made feel like an 11 year boy (which is an achievement as I'm a woman, so have never been one. ) Those who feel the story should have been more complex should remember this film was brought to you by Disney, the studio responsible for Pirates of Caribbean and Snow White. Any critics who feel that it didn't live up to the original should probably go watch the original again.
  27. Dec 21, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hmmm makes me wonder why some of the reviews are over analyzing this movie. The movie is near perfect in bringing TRON to today's audience. The acting was well done and the visual effects blew me away. I guess my only complaint is that I would of liked to have seen more of TRON (Bruce Boxleitner), but maybe in the next movie. Daft Punk really delivered in the muscial score...I hope this is not the last of Kevin Flynn...

Me: I have been a loyal fan of TRON since I was a kid, owned both TRON and Discs of TRON arcade machines, attended the 2000 E3 show to help promote TRON 2.0 the PC game with then rumors of Disney looking at scripts for a movie...I'm happy to say that I loved the film and it exceeded my expectations.

Disney really owes a lot to www.tron-sector.com, who helped keep TRON alive all these years..and here we are ;-)
  28. Jan 1, 2011
    OK, what the heck? Whats wrong with these critics!? This movie was AMAZING. I loved every thing about this movie. Great action. Great effects. Great actors. Love it. DON'T LISTEN TO THE CRITICS. WATCH IT.
  29. Dec 22, 2010
    This movie really did pay tribute to the original. I have been a fan sense the first one and this one is exactly in the same spirit. It is slow at times, fast paced at others as well as being visually and musically a landscape. The sound and sites are a treat, the story, while not perfect, is, when compared to the first, a perfect sequel. I can't wait to see if this series can ramp it upThis movie really did pay tribute to the original. I have been a fan sense the first one and this one is exactly in the same spirit. It is slow at times, fast paced at others as well as being visually and musically a landscape. The sound and sites are a treat, the story, while not perfect, is, when compared to the first, a perfect sequel. I can't wait to see if this series can ramp it up in following movies, or if it dies do to over critical inter-net snobbery. See the first one again, then go see this. You will not be disappointed and in the end that is why you bought the ticket and took the ride.

END OF LINE
  30. Dec 24, 2010
    I loved this movie... I want more! Go see it.

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 17, 2010
    When director Joseph Kosinski flips the switch on action, TRON: Legacy is entertaining enough. Especially in 3D IMAX, with a mega-audio system booming Deft Punk's droning Xbox-ready musical score, nearly drowning out the collisions.
  2. Reviewed by: John DeVore
    Dec 17, 2010
    Tron: Legacy will only be enjoyed by men in their thirties and early forties searching for a Proustian moment.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 17, 2010
    That's the culture we live in, where the once-proscribed Pleasure Principle has become iron law and where the recycled, bloated, fish-belly emptiness of something like TRON: Legacy carries boredom to extravagant new heights.