Tropic Thunder

7.3

1. Paula
    Aug 24, 2008
    gross, offensive, barely a chuckle.
  2. RiverS.
    Oct 3, 2008
    I thought this movies was ridiculing those with physical and mental disability i.e 'retard'( i quote form the film). Also there was child abuse involved (throwing the chinese child off the bridge), i thought this was not needed. last of all i thought the film was being homophbic, so what if he's gay, there was no need for the characters to make him uncomfortable about it.
  3. LaurenC
    Sep 1, 2008
    The movie was long, with little meaningful plot, and an star studded cast whose talents were wasted on a no-brainer idiotic script. It was insulting that any producer would expect people to find the contrived "jokes" funny. A "1" for Tom Cruises cameo, because that was indeed worth a chuckle. But, there were little redeeming qualities about this movie and I left the theater feeling cheated.
  4. giln
    Jun 8, 2009
    Tropic Thunder was a cheap remake of Galaxy Quest. All they did was go from space to the jungle. Next it will be some actors from Lost getting kidnapped onto a real island full of Gilligan girls and dinosauers and giant apes. If copyright laws were tighter Tropic Thunder would be another infringement case. Goes to show that big shot Hollywood types are not so talented after all.
  5. Wokoil
    Oct 22, 2008
    For me, this movie is beyond bad. Granted, I'm don't usually tune in to this kind of weak comedy so I think I saw through it pretty much when steve coogan had that stupid look on his face he now considers his acting masterclass (can you believe this guy used to do 'the day today?!?). I'm just amazed that some of you are giving it 8,9 & 10's. No offense, but some For me, this movie is beyond bad. Granted, I'm don't usually tune in to this kind of weak comedy so I think I saw through it pretty much when steve coogan had that stupid look on his face he now considers his acting masterclass (can you believe this guy used to do 'the day today?!?). I'm just amazed that some of you are giving it 8,9 & 10's. No offense, but some of you saying it was laugh out loud funny for 90 minutes really need to get out more. Film Critic Richard Corliss summed it up perfectly for me with "The brain gets the joke; the ribs are untickled" Expand
  6. Marvin
    Aug 17, 2008
    Very bland, boring, and unfunny in long stretches of the film.
  7. JohnG
    Aug 20, 2008
    The previews are expertly edited to show the few funny parts in the movie while hinting that this is just a taste of what will be an equally funny movie...this movie is actually boring and tired. Downey's character is the funniest but he has few good lines. A huge disappointment.
  8. LonnC.
    Aug 8, 2008
    i wouldn't say 0, I would say 5, but I'm just averaging out the reviews. The movie isn't very good. It's funny, but it's pointless, repulsive and stupid. It' s dumb, dull, and boring. I guess its okay.
  9. JohnG.
    Sep 1, 2008
    Absolutely horrible. The constant use of the f word and crude remarks dealing with sexual acts on a man made me walk out during the movie. I was embarrassed to be in the theater. What bothered me most is that there were 6-7 year old kids sitting there watching this garbage.
  10. Anthony
    Aug 22, 2008
    Wow this movie was ridiculously bad, maybe the cut some funny scenes as someone had mentioned earlier, but even then a few scenes couldn't save this movie. The cast was amazing i was really excited to have so many funny people in one movie but they didn't pull it off, Jack Black did ok but Downey and the rest could have taken a much better role and made this 10 year in Wow this movie was ridiculously bad, maybe the cut some funny scenes as someone had mentioned earlier, but even then a few scenes couldn't save this movie. The cast was amazing i was really excited to have so many funny people in one movie but they didn't pull it off, Jack Black did ok but Downey and the rest could have taken a much better role and made this 10 year in development film worth while. Most people probably already saw it but i highly recommend you save your maybe anyway. Expand
  11. GilbertC.
    Aug 8, 2008
    What a bore. The trailer is funny. But this movie isn't. It's repetitive and stupid. I Hate It!
  12. MichaelO.
    Jan 21, 2009
    First 10 minutes are funny. The remainder is boring. I had to watch this twice. I fell asleep the first time.
  13. SimpleBen
    Jun 14, 2009
    The imitation trailer idea was stolen from Tarantino's 'Grindhouse' and they were all stupid anyway. Stiller jus threw down a bunch of jokes for 14 yr olds and retreaded criticsm of the filmaking industry with a parody of the business and Vietnam war movies while he was at it. The product is shallow characters stumbling through an incomprehensible plot distracted by a lot The imitation trailer idea was stolen from Tarantino's 'Grindhouse' and they were all stupid anyway. Stiller jus threw down a bunch of jokes for 14 yr olds and retreaded criticsm of the filmaking industry with a parody of the business and Vietnam war movies while he was at it. The product is shallow characters stumbling through an incomprehensible plot distracted by a lot of gasoline explosions making you wonder what the hell is the point. Anyway Stiller gets to fan his vanity and show us he's been working out. Expand
  14. Jennifer
    Dec 26, 2008
    Ok I came into this movie expecting to be crying from laughter, and if anything i was crying because i just wasted 8 bucks. the jokes werent funny, i was forcing myself to laugh the whole time so i could keep myself from falling asleep. i think there was maybe one funny part but for the most part, i kept thinking"so when is this movie going to get funny like everyone said it was?" i didnt Ok I came into this movie expecting to be crying from laughter, and if anything i was crying because i just wasted 8 bucks. the jokes werent funny, i was forcing myself to laugh the whole time so i could keep myself from falling asleep. i think there was maybe one funny part but for the most part, i kept thinking"so when is this movie going to get funny like everyone said it was?" i didnt think tom cruise was funny. he grossed me out, it completely tarnished the little respect i have left for him after the whole katie holmes faze. tom used to be my favorite actor, now he is a joke. i do love ben stiller though, he was the only good part of this film. but overall... huge disappointment. Expand
  15. pdxsrw
    Nov 29, 2008
    You see the only funny moments in the trailer....a complete waste of time and some talent.
  16. Jan 4, 2013
    Most unfunny slap-stick piece of junk I've EVER seen in my life. It's pretty sad that the only funny part in this movie is Ben Stiller acting as a retarded kid for mercenaries in a play. yeah.
  17. MikeK
    Aug 18, 2008
    Terrible movie don't understand all the great reviews the beginning is the only funny part. After that it is just the same jokes over and over, do yourself a favor save $10 and wait for DVD even then pretty weak movie.
  18. KevinD.
    Aug 24, 2008
    Worst movie I've seen since Date Movie, which was the worst I've ever seen. I get that the movie pokes fun at Hollywood (itself), and that's worth something. But, it isn't nearly enough. This movie just wasn't funny. Tom Cruise was the best part of the whole movie.
  19. TonyD
    Aug 23, 2008
    Ashley and Laura D. I just wonder wher is the joke? worst movie I've ever seen.
  20. PaulW.
    Aug 25, 2008
    This movie was meant to be a comedy???? I would call it a disaster film, bigger than Titanic or The Towering Inferno.
  21. IgorG
    Feb 1, 2009
    Nice setup and a couple of good laughs, then 100 minutes of unfunny, stupid, vulgar dreck. I specifically noticed no one in the theatre laughed after the first five minutes. Had high hopes for it, but if you've seen the trailer you've seen every decent line in the movie. The Cruise character is a really nasty piece of work; the McConaughey dude is too witless for words; the Jack Nice setup and a couple of good laughs, then 100 minutes of unfunny, stupid, vulgar dreck. I specifically noticed no one in the theatre laughed after the first five minutes. Had high hopes for it, but if you've seen the trailer you've seen every decent line in the movie. The Cruise character is a really nasty piece of work; the McConaughey dude is too witless for words; the Jack Black bit is a humorless one-trick pony; none of these guys are the least bit funny. Should've known better -- Stiller flicks are just one or two clever gimmicks buried in two hours of garbage. Expand
  22. BenK.
    Jul 25, 2008
    Lame. A Ben Stiller ego trip. He should have spent more time on the script, and less time working out. Downey's funny, but Jack Black sucked. Stiller's about to go the way of Mike Myers.
  23. DanE.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ben Stiller has yet to make a very funny movie. Four laugh out louds and using the "F" word 50 times just doesn't cut it. Robert Downey did a great job!
  24. LayneD.
    Aug 15, 2008
    I gave this movie one point for every time I laughed. To be fair though, I left the theater about half way through, so there may have been one or two that I missed. I guess if you think the F-word is funny after the 100th time in 40 minutes, this is the movie for you. I didn't go into it expecting comic genius, but I hoped (in vain) for mildly intelligent.
  25. AnnN.
    Aug 19, 2008
    I could count on the fingers of 1 hand the number of movies I've walked out on. I walked out after 20 minutes. This movie is awful!.
  26. JasonH.
    Aug 21, 2008
    I don't know how this got such great reviews. tom Cruise was slightly funny, but the rest of the movie was awful. I kept waiting for the movie to get funny, but it never did. One of the worst movies I've ever seen!!!!
  27. CristinZ.
    Aug 20, 2008
    Terrible plot, seldom funny. Tried way too hard and failed. That's enough Ben Stiller.
  28. maggiec
    Aug 27, 2008
    The worst movie produced. There were parts that could make some one smile but deffinatly not laugh. This movie was draged out to a max and could have been thought up of by a 2nd grader.
  29. DonnaS.
    Feb 21, 2009
    Where was the funny? Needed a much better script. Tom Cruise was hilarious, though, that's why I gave it a 1, otherwise 0. Things blowing up is no substitute for content.
  30. Dare
    Dec 29, 2008
    Offensive, unnecessary, and stupid.
  31. SidM.
    Jul 29, 2008
    I really wanted to like this, but it's just kind of a loud, factory movie that's allegedly funny, but isn't really. I wish stiller would do something like "flirting with Disaster."
  32. TyW.
    Aug 13, 2008
    It was funny at parts, but overall it wasn't that good. It was a bunch of really corny jokes strung together that got old after 30 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I laughed a few times, but the movie was just plain stupid.
  33. TateB.
    Aug 15, 2008
    This movie was absolutely awful. The intro was the only redeeming part: the rest of the movie was filled with a convoluted storyline and identity crisis. Ben Stiller spent 10 years on this script? Seriously? Do not waste your money on yet another failed attempt at satire.
  34. RejeanR.
    Aug 18, 2008
    A few laughs, but globally, not funny.
  35. mike
    Aug 19, 2008
    Lame, Lame , Lame, Lame. So stunningly far from an "instant classic" (as some one else said). Have people who praise this ever actually seen a funny movie?
  36. ElliottG.
    Aug 25, 2008
    This movie was so horrible. It was full of moments where you could tell they were trying to be funny, but fell incredibly short. I give a 1 only because of the one funny part at the very end of the movie with Lance. But other than that, very bad.
  37. Trevor
    Jan 12, 2009
    The only entertaining part of the movie was the very beginning when the preview trailers were playing and made you think you were actually watching a legitimate movie trailer. That was clever.Other than that, it was corny and the only time I chuckled was because of an absurd scene every so often. I think some of these major newspaper critics must have been paid by the movie studio to say The only entertaining part of the movie was the very beginning when the preview trailers were playing and made you think you were actually watching a legitimate movie trailer. That was clever.Other than that, it was corny and the only time I chuckled was because of an absurd scene every so often. I think some of these major newspaper critics must have been paid by the movie studio to say it was hilarious "laugh til your stomach hurts" funny. Rediculous movie....don't waste your money, even to rent. Expand
  38. JackM.
    Nov 28, 2008
    This movie was funny at some parts but it was mostly just stupid. when it was funny it was great but it wasn't funny that much, and the rest of the movie made me want to turn it off or shoot myself.
  39. KevinM.
    Dec 18, 2008
    What is wrong with you critics?! This movie was a pile of garbage written for 5th graders.
  40. Mar 31, 2012
    What a pile of crap. The movie had a bunch of stupid actors playing stupid roles. Robert Downey Jr. looked like an idiot being a black man and the comedy was dreadful. Ridilcouisly stupid.
  41. Mar 31, 2012
    My mind can not even warp around just how stupid this Hollywood trash was. I wish I didn't have to suffer through this unfunny, horribly un-entertaining film. I maybe laughed once at this stupid sh**

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Tropic Thunder is the funniest movie of the summer--so funny, in fact, that you start laughing before the film itself has begun.
  2. Stiller manages his movie nicely so that all actors get their share of the comic spotlight. Seldom does an ensemble comedy not contain a single weak character or performance as does this one.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Apart from startling, out-there comic turns by Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise, however, the antics here are pretty thin, redundant and one-note.