7.3

1. Scorcher7
    Aug 17, 2008
    Downey Jr. is a 10, everything else is hit and miss. Stiller still goes off on weird dope induced tangents that take from the "tightness" of the movie--overly silly but not really funny all the time. There are some funny parts, but no way is this movie "classic" or a "10". A year after the DVD comes out you'll barely remember this except for Tom Cruise's creepy character and Downey Jr. is a 10, everything else is hit and miss. Stiller still goes off on weird dope induced tangents that take from the "tightness" of the movie--overly silly but not really funny all the time. There are some funny parts, but no way is this movie "classic" or a "10". A year after the DVD comes out you'll barely remember this except for Tom Cruise's creepy character and Downey's funny linesperformance. Expand
  2. Dec 7, 2012
    A 7? Am I missing something? I know the movie is good .. but it is a bit boring ..
  3. RobertT
    May 7, 2009
    This movie was not in the least bit as fnny as it is made out to be. Seriously the only funny thing in the movie is Jack Black's character. That was hilarious. If someone thinks his movie is intelligent then they are insane. I really did not like the lame attempt at laugs, especially Robert Downy Jr.'s character and also Ben Stillers character was incredibly unfunny. Overall is This movie was not in the least bit as fnny as it is made out to be. Seriously the only funny thing in the movie is Jack Black's character. That was hilarious. If someone thinks his movie is intelligent then they are insane. I really did not like the lame attempt at laugs, especially Robert Downy Jr.'s character and also Ben Stillers character was incredibly unfunny. Overall is if you want to see a dumb, mostly unfunny comedy then you should watch it, bu why waste your time. Expand
  4. JeffM.
    Aug 20, 2008
    This was not a good movie. I feel dumber for having seen this.
  5. GrantC.
    Nov 28, 2008
    I had high expectations, with such high scoring from critics (and raves from my friends, but high schoolers aren't the most trustworthy with films). I never thought it could be good. This movie was a giant let down. It wasn't bad per se, but it could never lived up to the high 71 average. I usually agree with the critics (my favorite films this year all have Metascores that are I had high expectations, with such high scoring from critics (and raves from my friends, but high schoolers aren't the most trustworthy with films). I never thought it could be good. This movie was a giant let down. It wasn't bad per se, but it could never lived up to the high 71 average. I usually agree with the critics (my favorite films this year all have Metascores that are favorable or UA: 82, 85, 93, 63, 79), but they let me down with this stupidity. I laughed a few times, at the opening commercials, at... it's hard to think of much else. Just don't get excited about this movie, it' nothing special in the least. Entertaining and moderately amusing, but there are much better films to watch or even rewatch (Holy Grail for the hundredth time anyone?) over this. Expand
  6. SeanR.
    Aug 20, 2008
    Funny here and there, I suppose if you like on the nose humor this is your movie.
  7. TedB.
    Oct 15, 2008
    Just not quite funny enough? Lots of the Jokes fall flat but you're left amazed by the amount of money spent on them?
  8. BillG
    Aug 18, 2008
    Pushed by all the hype I went and Tropic Thunder today. The verdict: extremely over rated. There were a few clever parts and some amusing gags here and there, but mostly it was just silly and dumb. Afterwards I wished I'd gone to see Woody Allen's new movie a man who's humor is a little more developed than fart and "retard" jokes.
  9. JackH.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Nice Schmoolie G.....Nice. I didn't see this movie, and probably won't until it comes out for rental. But nice review either way Schmoolie.
  10. NGRCNGRC
    Sep 21, 2008
    So disappointing, I don't understand how this film got labelled as a satire.... it's not, it's a spoof. Scary Movie in the jungle.
  11. JayH.
    Nov 12, 2008
    Although it is an amusing premise, I was not quite as enthralled with the film as most. Robert Downey Jr. is great, and Jack Black dies well, but I had a problem with Ben Stiller. His one note performances are getting tiresome. Good cinematography. Entertaining but not very memorable.
  12. SchmoolieG.
    Aug 16, 2008
    "Tropic Thunder" lambastes Hollywood for its excesses? Nonsense. This movie is just as much of a useless exercise in Hollywood excess as any other. What is supposed to make it funny is its self-awareness of that fact. Critics are grooming this to be the comedy event of the Summer. This is unfortunate, because it is at its essence a very generic comedy. Jonesing for your monthly fix of "Tropic Thunder" lambastes Hollywood for its excesses? Nonsense. This movie is just as much of a useless exercise in Hollywood excess as any other. What is supposed to make it funny is its self-awareness of that fact. Critics are grooming this to be the comedy event of the Summer. This is unfortunate, because it is at its essence a very generic comedy. Jonesing for your monthly fix of fart/blood/fat/gay/black/retard jokes? You got it. Can't get enough of that "white-guy-dances-awkwardly-to-hip-hop" scene that has appeared in every single big-budget comedy made in the past decade? Let's do it. Twice! There's no room for real satire when you're busy working with the broken formulae that make this type of comedy so derivative to begin with. The opening trailers are hilarious, and the first 30-or-so minutes had the audience rolling, but the movie is insubstantial at its core. There are definitely some funny moments, but my lack of interest in the characters made the time between punchlines drag so much more. Ben Stiller is the same old one-dimensional wacky Ben Stiller that you either love or are completely ambivalent towards. Robert Downey Jr. was the only one who gave the audience anything to chew on. Expand
  13. BillyS.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Take away the opening preview trailers, Tom Cruise, in what is sadly, his finest screen performance and Robert Downey Jr. and this would be lucky to rate a 4! Without them, this is just another Ben Stiller movie-for-the-masses in which the audience laughs at every obvious punch line while you sit there going "Was it really that funny?" No, it really wasn't.
  14. HalB.
    Aug 19, 2008
    Pretty disappointing, given all the critical praise. Definitely agree with Scorcher 7 and Schmoolie G.
  15. JackB
    Oct 12, 2008
    Overrated comedy with a few big names which have captured interest. I couldnt even understand what Robert Downey Jr was saying most of the time.
  16. BobN
    Dec 8, 2008
    Maybe worth a rent. I have an odd sense of humor. Dry and odd humor with intelligence backing it is my cup of tea-or, absurdity which points out the stupidity of things present. This film was a huge let down. With the exception of a few pefectly timed F-words, which were hillarious, and more perfectly timed F-words by Tom Cruise, this film is a huge failure. Funny? At times. Downy was Maybe worth a rent. I have an odd sense of humor. Dry and odd humor with intelligence backing it is my cup of tea-or, absurdity which points out the stupidity of things present. This film was a huge let down. With the exception of a few pefectly timed F-words, which were hillarious, and more perfectly timed F-words by Tom Cruise, this film is a huge failure. Funny? At times. Downy was this movie. Without Downy it would suck Booty Sweat. Intelligent? Hardly. A single episode of South Park has far more satire and sharp intelligence than this entire film. Zoolander, with its oddness and mockery of fashion has more intelligence. Ben, you make good movies between numerous loads of crap. This happens to be a crap with the occasional nugget. Maybe rent. Expand
  17. Huggle-icious
    Aug 11, 2008
    Hilarious, well captured, but in retrospect, just plain stupid.
  18. williamC
    Aug 14, 2008
    Best movie ever? Best comedy of the summer? It must be a pretty dismal summer then. A top notch cast , good acting , but too loud and really not wall to wall laughs. I get the references to Platoon and Apocalips Now , and there is some really funny bits , but they were spread out.Tom Cruse was funny up to a point, but this movie is very over rated and over hyped. IT played more like a Best movie ever? Best comedy of the summer? It must be a pretty dismal summer then. A top notch cast , good acting , but too loud and really not wall to wall laughs. I get the references to Platoon and Apocalips Now , and there is some really funny bits , but they were spread out.Tom Cruse was funny up to a point, but this movie is very over rated and over hyped. IT played more like a test reel for each of the stars to do their "bit". Expand
  19. AlejandroC.
    Aug 15, 2008
    It was all right. Not Great.
  20. NopieT.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Some funning moments but a little short of my expectations. I got the feeling that lots of Robert Downey's best lines were lost in his weird Australian/jive accent and the overly loud, constant explosions and over-the-top music. Not bad but not anything special.
  21. BrentA.
    Aug 19, 2008
    I thought this was going to be a funny movie but I didn't get much laughs out of it. Ben Stiller's worst movie yet. (I usually love his movies).
  22. easymac
    Aug 24, 2008
    Wasn't too impressed with this movie. quite surprised that it got a 71 overall by critics as of now. funny parts were ok funny, but they were too few. wait for dvd, or skip it altogether.
  23. MarkN.
    Aug 31, 2008
    Worth it just to see Downey play a black man and Tom Cruise's dancing.
  24. RoryP.
    Sep 29, 2008
    Not very good. everything involving Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise is pretty funny, everything else is not. A great cast wasted by a director who isn't taking enough risks in criticizing his subject matter, with a script that isn't as sharp as we all wanted it to be considering the line up. Jack Black's presence is especially misjudged here, his not-at-all likeable Not very good. everything involving Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise is pretty funny, everything else is not. A great cast wasted by a director who isn't taking enough risks in criticizing his subject matter, with a script that isn't as sharp as we all wanted it to be considering the line up. Jack Black's presence is especially misjudged here, his not-at-all likeable character stagnating further through flat laughs and limp characterisation. His gurning is truly a grating experience to sit through. for all the high tech production values, this film is not very sophisticated in its satire. which would be alright if the film was actually funny. but, yunno, its not. It just looks tired Expand
  25. Mar 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just say that I thought the backstories for the characters were horrible. They were just typical cliched Hollywood stereotypes I couldn't even care for. But was the movie funny? Yes it was! Lol at Tom Cruise's rant to "Flaming Dragon"! Expand
  26. Aug 25, 2014
    Strong 3 stars.

Before the movie even really began, I already knew one thing: I want to see "Satan's Alley". When is it coming out? (Yeah, I like queer movies, sue me...) Ok, back to "Tropic Thunder" itself. It was insanely funny at places. I was expecting a full-blown comedy, but apparently someone decided to put some plot into the movie too. Not a totally wasted effort, that.
    Strong 3 stars.

Ok, back to "Tropic Thunder" itself.

The cast was brilliant. Honestly, I couldn't even tell they had Tom Cruise on board until I began to suspect it might be him half-way through. Jack Black was pretty hilarious, though not over-board with his role. Robert Downey Jr. had a lot to say, apparently - and most of it made no sense at all. It was nice to see his character find himself in the end.

Altogether, I liked this one. A wicked movie. In a way, this was the same kind of look into acting as Stiller's "Zoolander" was at male modeling - though not as bad as a movie.
  27. Jun 8, 2013
    Tropic Thunder had some pretty solid acting and enjoyable action scenes, Funny at times as well but I gotta admit it was rather stupid. I didn't mind it though but it's not the kind of comedy that I'd enjoy seeing again.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Tropic Thunder is the funniest movie of the summer--so funny, in fact, that you start laughing before the film itself has begun.
  2. Stiller manages his movie nicely so that all actors get their share of the comic spotlight. Seldom does an ensemble comedy not contain a single weak character or performance as does this one.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Apart from startling, out-there comic turns by Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise, however, the antics here are pretty thin, redundant and one-note.