7.3

1. Jul 19, 2011
    Hilarious! One of the funniest films ever for sure. Cool concept and with an all-star cast of Ben stiller, Jack Black, and more. Will be in my top ten and classified as a classic in my mind for a long time.
  2. SimpleJack
    Aug 16, 2008
    Instant classic.
  3. Sep 25, 2011
    If you exaggerate the meaning, "Tropic Thunder" is a excellent movie with **** good humor. If you look at me eye to eye for my honest opinion, its just a unpredictable movie that has its laughs.
  4. DavidW.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Best Film of the year. How did this not win best picture. Comedies deserve more credit. This movie was incredibly intelligent. It is sad that some are not intelligent enough to realize this.
  5. SidR.
    Oct 3, 2008
    This film is seriously hilarious, i was laughing almost at every scene, the bonus of this film is you get to see Tom Cruise dancing for at least five minutes, his dance moves is just unbelievably funny!!
  6. AntiLonnC.
    Aug 14, 2008
    Lonn C said ZERO because to bruing the average down which defeats the whole purpose of a group average. So I am voting 10 to push Lonn's 0 to 5 which is the score that would have been given. Come on people, do your review based on your opinion, ignore other comments and the group average. The idea is everyone gives their honest and as unbiased as possible opinion and then the group Lonn C said ZERO because to bruing the average down which defeats the whole purpose of a group average. So I am voting 10 to push Lonn's 0 to 5 which is the score that would have been given. Come on people, do your review based on your opinion, ignore other comments and the group average. The idea is everyone gives their honest and as unbiased as possible opinion and then the group average reflects the users opinions. Giving a much lower score because the current average score does not reflect your opinion is just turning the average score into your opinion which makes it worthless. Expand
  7. RafaelF.
    Aug 11, 2008
    I just saw an advance screening and must say this movie was awesome. Much more than what I expected.
  8. DavidB.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hilarious movie all around. Robert Downey Jr is absolutely fantastic, and the rest of the cast does a great job as well. This isn't comedy of the summer (Pineapple Express will be hard to surpass), but it's still really good.
  9. AlexB.
    Aug 5, 2008
    With apologies to WALL-E and The Dark Knight, this is the best movie of the summer. It works because it's a send-up of Hollywood, not of war movies in general. Like Paul P. said, it had great comedy without going too over the top. Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely amazing, and would be the best thing in the movie were it not for the presence of a big name actor who I won't reveal With apologies to WALL-E and The Dark Knight, this is the best movie of the summer. It works because it's a send-up of Hollywood, not of war movies in general. Like Paul P. said, it had great comedy without going too over the top. Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely amazing, and would be the best thing in the movie were it not for the presence of a big name actor who I won't reveal here (although any movie fan has probably heard about his presence). Expand
  10. Anonymous
    Sep 1, 2008
    This movie was hilarious and smart.
  11. EvanL
    Sep 1, 2008
    I can see why some people didn't like this movie. There were so many obscure hilarious references to movies like apocalypse now and such. You fellas should get out more.
  12. TimE.
    Sep 6, 2008
    This movie is not a 10 or a 9, but I think it's quite good, and worth watching it!
  13. BruceW.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Hilarious and cutting. From the opening psuedo trailers to the closing Tom Cruise dance, this moving poked fun at all those Vietnam films and at the film industry. Two thumbs up.
  14. MarkB.
    Oct 9, 2008
    To go "full-on retard" or not to go "full-on retard", that is the question. Perhaps if I were the parent of a Down's syndrome child I could more easily embrace the objections of those who are, in some cases, understandably offended by the dialogues that occur late in Ben Stiller's take-no-prisoners film industry satire between actors debating whether to use restaint in To go "full-on retard" or not to go "full-on retard", that is the question. Perhaps if I were the parent of a Down's syndrome child I could more easily embrace the objections of those who are, in some cases, understandably offended by the dialogues that occur late in Ben Stiller's take-no-prisoners film industry satire between actors debating whether to use restaint in portraying mentally challenged characters, as Tom Hanks did in Forrest Gump, or to go way over the top like Sean Penn in I Am Sam, and the box office and Academy Award rewards and penalties that potentially go with either approach. Although I can sympathize (if not empathize) with said critics, I think some of them may be too emotionally close to the subject to understand that Tropic Thunder's principals are figures of ridicule and NOT ROLE MODELS--after all, nobody objected when the Nazis in Schindler's List spewed anti-Semitism, did they? Besides, Kirk Lazarus's (Robert Downey Jr., enjoying a movie year that some actors would sell less-loved siblings to have) and Tugg Speedman's (Stiller) observations are dead-on--if anything they don't go far enough. This movie doesn't mention the worst example of all: Cliff Robertson's horrible overacting in 1968's Charly, which netted him an Oscar for a role that he ruthlessly engineered for himself while demolishing Daniel Keyes' fine novel in the process. Tropic Thunder also neglects to discuss how many Little Golden Guys inevitably go to performers who (pardon the expression in advance) go "full-on gimp", portraying PHYSICALLY challenged folks (Jane Wyman, Daniel Day-Lewis, Hanks in Philadelphia, etc., etc. It could be said--though not by me--that the only actor to honestly come upon an Oscar this way was Marlee Matlin.) Clearly, the actors and crew of a Vietnam movie-within-a-movie who fall down a real-life rabbit hole that Lewis Carroll never dreamed of think that Konstantin ("Love art in yourself, not yourself in art") Stanislavski was a long-deposed Balkan government official; Stiller and cowriter Justin Theroux are ruthless in depicting them, and the result is a movie whose box office success, like that of 2006's Borat, happily disproves the old saw that satire is what closes on Saturday night. Unfortunately, as with Borat, much of Tropic Thunder is funnier on paper than actually on screen (and it never manages to top the magnificent parodies seen in the first five minutes, which among other things should prove beyond all remaining doubt that hacks-from-hell Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedburg should be shot into outer space). But even though Tropic Thunder is stuffed with insider jokes that will confuse if not outright bore casual moviegoers, it's difficult not to admire its utter mercilessness and lack of sentimentality in depicting EVERYONE in the profession as greedier and more heartless and self-centered than those in Wall Street and Washington combined. (Sadly, this hasn't changed much over the years; if you want proof, read Joseph McBride's disturbing John Ford and Frank Capra biographies. Nor will it: while AMC's brilliant TV series Mad Men delights in exposing the difference between early 1960s Madison Avenue culture and today's--puff, puff--TRopic Thunder could easily be remade 48 years later with very few changes.) But you gotta admire the resourcefulness, caginess and intelligence of A Certain Superstar whose recent couch-jumping antics, overespousal of religious beliefs and willingness to star in Robert Redford's boring Iraq preachathon have subjected him to hard times: his astonishing comeback cameo as a studio slimeball who maybe has taken a sequence in Risky Business a bit too much to heart has, at least for now, restored for Mr. Cruise the mantle of One Of The Smartest Guys In Hollywood. Expand
  15. PaulP.
    Jun 27, 2008
    This was a great Action Comedy. It really mixed the production value and effects of a great Vietnam movie with edgy comedy that we don't see very much these days. The actors play the comedy straight, but not in an over the top silly matter that we are used to seeing in other send up movies. There is plenty of movie references throughout, but unlike most parody movies, the viewer can This was a great Action Comedy. It really mixed the production value and effects of a great Vietnam movie with edgy comedy that we don't see very much these days. The actors play the comedy straight, but not in an over the top silly matter that we are used to seeing in other send up movies. There is plenty of movie references throughout, but unlike most parody movies, the viewer can enjoy this movie on it's own merit and without seeing any of the referenced films. I would have to say that this movie really broke new ground in combining comedy and action and I don't think I have ever seen a movie like it; and that's hard to find in today's cinema. Expand
  16. PatrickS.
    Aug 14, 2008
    I'll give it a 10 just to balance that last gus 0 - can't wait to seet it! Ben Stiller rocks!!!
  17. MattS.
    Aug 18, 2008
    This will become a comedy classic on the same high level that Stiller's other major directorial outing - Zoolander - currently sits at. Robert Downey Jr. in the role of a lifetime and Tom Cruise in the life-saving role of a lifetime are the highlights, but everything about this movie, from the minutes before it even begins to the credits after it ends, is pure genius. my only very This will become a comedy classic on the same high level that Stiller's other major directorial outing - Zoolander - currently sits at. Robert Downey Jr. in the role of a lifetime and Tom Cruise in the life-saving role of a lifetime are the highlights, but everything about this movie, from the minutes before it even begins to the credits after it ends, is pure genius. my only very minor quibble is that they provided no closure to the Jay Burachel storyline...I was kinda hoping to see him become a big Hollywood star in the end or something, because he was the only down-to-earth person in the entire movie. :P Expand
  18. AndrewR.
    Aug 21, 2008
    One of the funniest comedies I have seen recently
  19. Ashley
    Aug 22, 2008
    I have never laughed harder during a film. I consider it a perfect movie because it did exactly what it set out to do.
  20. SoorajM.
    Aug 25, 2008
    Hilarious. The funniest movie ever this year.
  21. WilliamFletcher
    Aug 30, 2008
    This exceeded my expectations by a huge degree. A truly funny movie with lots of genuine laughs. Thoroughly enjoyable, all-star cast and all.
  22. TzviM.
    Sep 1, 2008
    One of the funniest movies I've seen in years- non stop laughs, top notch satire, and surprisingly entertaining action. Better by far than "The Pineapple Express," which says a lot.
  23. JonU.
    Sep 28, 2008
    Few one joke movies are this entertaining - from the opening to the end it is a convulsive romp
  24. J.Petersen
    Sep 4, 2008
    A beautiful satire of the movie industry, filled with dark, dark comedy. If you take life too seriously, you may not enjoy it, but I loved the over-the-top insanity.
  25. BobW
    Sep 4, 2008
    I would rate it higher if not for the excessive use of the f word and a gory scene with the director.
  26. C.B.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Not as funny as I hoped, but better than 90% of the comedies of the last ten years... Cruise & McConaghey were really good. Jack Black's talents were wasted once again.
  27. JoshF.
    Sep 6, 2008
    Absolutely hilarious. excellent cast and very good script.
  28. LinL.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Needed a movie night that provided some laughs, for me as well as for my 20-something son -- and this really fit the bill. Hilarious!
  29. GerronK
    Nov 2, 2008
    Really good stuff.
  30. Carrie
    Nov 6, 2008
    Funnier than I thought, but not mind blowingly so. I thought it was pretty awesome, though, and am definenetly glad I cought it in the theater.
  31. ShanK.
    Dec 11, 2008
    Stiller rocked, downey stole the show but jack was too hilarious, one of the best comedies of 08.
  32. TaylorC.
    Dec 4, 2008
    The best part of Tropic Thunder is Robert Downey Jr. The rest of the characters n the movie are annoying and while watching, you wish they could just shut up. Jack Black's character is perhaps the worst. I like Jack Black, but he is incredibly annoying in this movie. The rest of the characters might be a tad bit annoying as well, but they are at least standable and contribute to the The best part of Tropic Thunder is Robert Downey Jr. The rest of the characters n the movie are annoying and while watching, you wish they could just shut up. Jack Black's character is perhaps the worst. I like Jack Black, but he is incredibly annoying in this movie. The rest of the characters might be a tad bit annoying as well, but they are at least standable and contribute to the real star of the movie. The movie has a plot that is an incredibly funny idea, and while it might no turn out perfect, it at least looks well. I suggest this movie as a rental. It is quite enjoyable t watch, but not worth the $20 rental. Expand
  33. meenaj
    Dec 8, 2008
    It was so hillarious, i loved it.
  34. PabloP.
    Jun 27, 2008
    I got to test screen this movie. It is really a good adult action comedy. While much has been made about the fact that Robert Downey JR plays a black man, and this is seen as racist, thats not the case at all. I won't go into details because it spoils the plot. The movie is no bars held action comedy. It has Good Action, and some really funny comedy. I just hope they aren't I got to test screen this movie. It is really a good adult action comedy. While much has been made about the fact that Robert Downey JR plays a black man, and this is seen as racist, thats not the case at all. I won't go into details because it spoils the plot. The movie is no bars held action comedy. It has Good Action, and some really funny comedy. I just hope they aren't forced to cut out the parts that really made this a good movie. Expand
  35. Mike
    Aug 10, 2008
    Funniest movie of the year!
    Aug 13, 2008
    quite possibly the best movie i have ever seen in my entire life. but definitely the best movie of the summer.
  37. THATMOVIEGUY
    Aug 14, 2008
    Pretty good satire with some outstanding acting. Tom Cruise of all people steals the show. The rest of the All Star cast including Nick Nolte are excellent. Take it for what ii is a fun dark comedy and you will enjoy it.
  38. ErinE.
    Aug 15, 2008
    I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. My sister and I are in our 30s and we laughed during the whole movie. I'm a social worker and wasn't offended by the movie as a realize it is satire. It has a couple of gross parts, but the rest of the movie makes up for them.
  39. JonB.
    Aug 17, 2008
    As long as you are not easily offended, I think this is the summer comedy to see. Yes, Stiller plays his typical role, but Downey and Black complement each other in their polar-opposite styles. It all comes together somehow in this mix of satire and slap-stick comedy.
  40. THATMOVIEGUY
  41. MiloB.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Hilarious movie. This movie was smart and very well-written that can appeal to both the intelligent audiences and the not-so. I would recommend this movie to anyone and everyone who wants to have a great belly laugh.
  42. MarkoC.
    Aug 21, 2008
    A really funny movie.
  43. Mikey
    Aug 22, 2008
    I laughed for 90 min...I loved the whole raunchy and delicious movie. After the literally too dark knight, this was a sheer laugh out loud delight.
  44. GeorgeM
    Aug 22, 2008
    Tropic Thunder is not the laugh-inducing-assault its been labeled to be. Its funny but equally stupid. Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr. get the best material, Jack Black is just flat-out annoying 90% of the time, Tom Cruise gets a few chuckles, until he starts dancing (ACK!!!), Steve Coogan and Danny McBride seemed a bit wasted, which is a shame. McBride is hilarious in Pineapple Express Tropic Thunder is not the laugh-inducing-assault its been labeled to be. Its funny but equally stupid. Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr. get the best material, Jack Black is just flat-out annoying 90% of the time, Tom Cruise gets a few chuckles, until he starts dancing (ACK!!!), Steve Coogan and Danny McBride seemed a bit wasted, which is a shame. McBride is hilarious in Pineapple Express (funnier movie). Tropic Thunder is a wacky romp that pokes fun at Hollywood. Watching them rip on Platoon, I Am Sam (with "Simple Jack" being the parody), and actors in the business today is just too good to pass up. FUN? Yes. Forgettable? Also, yes. Expand
  45. TonyH.
    Aug 23, 2008
    Best comedy ever. I laughed over the whole movie.
  46. StephS.
    Aug 23, 2008
    After a lot of superheores movies, something truly funny came out. Go buy a ticket, because you really are going to enjoy this great comedy.
  47. CarolD.
    Aug 23, 2008
    Over rated by critics but still a great movie. Now I know Tom Cruise can nail comedy! More satire than laugh-out-loud in parts but that's all to the good. Kinda like French cuisine with great big lumps of choc pudding in it. Tasty and interesting and it makes you wonder what in the world the cook (Stiller) was thinking. An Arty- Farty movie.
  48. AndrewM.
    Aug 24, 2008
    Funny, but not fantastic. If anything, it's worth paying to see this film just for Tom Cruise, he outshines all of the cast sadly.
  49. TomT.
    Aug 24, 2008
    Tony D. I just wonder if you developed any sense of humor. The movie is very funny. But always will be that minority that say it wasn't.
  50. ChrisM
    Aug 25, 2008
    This will go down as a classic comedy. I loved the satire and stereo types. RDJ absolutely stole the show for me. One of Ben Stiller's best comedies to date. I'm not a big Jack Black fan, but aside from the toilet humor, he played his part very well. Just seeing Nick Nolte on the screen cracks me up (I can't get his mug shot out of my mind). Tom Cruise was bald, overly This will go down as a classic comedy. I loved the satire and stereo types. RDJ absolutely stole the show for me. One of Ben Stiller's best comedies to date. I'm not a big Jack Black fan, but aside from the toilet humor, he played his part very well. Just seeing Nick Nolte on the screen cracks me up (I can't get his mug shot out of my mind). Tom Cruise was bald, overly hairy, dancing fool, but he even brought out a couple chuckles. A lot of no names, with a few guest stars. At a couple points, I thought maybe this is where it gets silly or over the top. Even in those spots, they were able to walk a fine line, but never crossed it. Overall, just a very funny comedy that entertained me from the beginning to the end. Expand
  51. BrianK.
    Aug 25, 2008
    You will either love it or hate it. I love this type of humor. One of the silliest, funniest movies I have ever seen.
  52. KyleW.
    Aug 27, 2008
    Let me start by talking about things that have not been mentioned so far. First off, the sound track is amazing with an excellent mix of music genres and old and new tracks. The music seemed to help amplify the current mood of the film. Also the special effects were over the top, which is exactly what needed to be done. Its not just the "one-liner" jokes that make this movie funny, It is Let me start by talking about things that have not been mentioned so far. First off, the sound track is amazing with an excellent mix of music genres and old and new tracks. The music seemed to help amplify the current mood of the film. Also the special effects were over the top, which is exactly what needed to be done. Its not just the "one-liner" jokes that make this movie funny, It is the whole attitude that this film keeps the whole way through. I will also say that most all the actors did an excellent job acting as actors, its something that is really hard to do. If you like good clean comedy and don't like to be offended, don't see it. It is offensive, but on a level that tries to explain and not make fun of. The retard part everyone is talking about is clearly making fun of the fact that actors have to play things they don't really understand and usually fail bad at. Overall if you like in you face comedy with a good plot see this. If you think you might get offended or think its going to be "Gentleman's humor"(for a lack of a better phrase) skip it. Expand
  53. JaredC.
    Aug 7, 2008
    Tropic Thunder portrays a wonderfully flicked action/comedy, and, with its astounding funny performances, probably the best since Hot Fuzz. Ben Still, you rock!
  54. AlexG.
    Sep 10, 2008
    Another funny film from director Ben Stiller. My expectations for this film were very high but Tropic Thunder still made me laugh. Starting off with the funniest part of the movie with the three fake movie trailers. Most parts of it were a little off beat and not so much funny but it had its hilarious moments!
  55. Deanna
    Sep 16, 2008
    I really enjoyed this movie. I mean, you weren't crying from laughter the entire time. But worth seeing for sure. Robert Downey Jr was EPIC.
  56. NancyS.
    Sep 2, 2008
    Silly, ridiculous, un-PC, even retarded, but funny enough for me and my sisters. Lots to laugh at and there was laughing through most of the movie in the theatre but not from everyone at once, so maybe there was a little for most everyone and a few things that cracked most everybody up. Cruise was totally creepy and, indeed, hairy. No classic but fun to watch.
  57. DavidV.
    Sep 20, 2008
    A lot of it was hilarious, but some of the jokes fell flat.
  58. TJN.
    Sep 27, 2008
    A ridiculously funny movie. The final scene involving Ben Stiller and "his son" makes me laugh just thinking about it. Downey amazes and Booty Sweat quenches the palate.
  59. JamesJ.
    Sep 6, 2008
    OK So, for all of you who are still thinking "Who the heck does this THAT MOVIE GUY think he is??" for my giving Pineapple Express a 3/10...Yeah that's what I spend my time wondering about. Good movie, some of the funniest lines I've heard in quite a while e.g. "I'm just like a little boy, playin' with his dick when he's nervous". Definitely worth seeing.
  60. JackP
    Jan 30, 2009
    One of the funniest movies i've ever seen. Hell, one of the best movies i've ever seen. No one gets more laughs than Robert Downey Jr, but Tom Cruise is just as funny as him.
  61. MarcusL.
    Jan 5, 2009
    Partly stupid, but was a very funny movie. The movie had many stars in it. You would make you laugh so hard until the end. I really liked it. Every actor in this movie mad at least 1 funny joke through out the movie. Tom Cruise was by far the funniest part in the whole movie. This movie will make you laugh and laugh and laugh.
  62. georgues
    Jun 24, 2009
    Straight up hilarious!
  63. Piotr
    Nov 2, 2008
    Simply funny as hell! One of the best comedy movie for a long long time.
  64. JustinE.
    Oct 12, 2008
    Not the greatest movie ever, but very solid. It had plenty of laughs throughout, though some parts were a bit bland. Overall, I recommend seeing this in theaters, and at least renting it, though it may be a buy.
  65. ND
    Nov 28, 2008
    Hilarious. Long in the tooth, but a genuinely funny film. Downey does steal the show away from Stiller.
  66. PaulL.
    Aug 11, 2008
    The best war movie of the entire satire of Hollywood making. Ben, jack, and Robert has lighten the subject with humor and entire film with laughs!
  67. KiranA.
    Aug 13, 2008
    Robert Downey played his role to perfection. Stiller did his usual entertaining performance. Jack Black, although his part was a bit stock, also acted well. Tom Cruise, as a supporting actor, went well outside of his usual role in order to prove to the world that he can act with the best of them - absolutely hilarious. There were a couple of periods where the movie went a little too far Robert Downey played his role to perfection. Stiller did his usual entertaining performance. Jack Black, although his part was a bit stock, also acted well. Tom Cruise, as a supporting actor, went well outside of his usual role in order to prove to the world that he can act with the best of them - absolutely hilarious. There were a couple of periods where the movie went a little too far into the war genre, or a little too far into the 2000's over-the-top comedy, but overall, the direction was great. The end piece was synergistic and hilarious commentary on the movie business. Expand
  68. KimS.
    Aug 13, 2008
    This is such good movie. Is really funny and the action is very good. Is the most funny movie of all the summer, I enjoy it a lot. Robert Downey is the best, his performance was so hilarious, he truly is a great actor.
  69. Mike
    Aug 14, 2008
    Funniest movie of the year!
  70. ChadS.
    Aug 14, 2008
    Kirk Lazarus(Robert Downey Jr.) is an actor from Australia who prepared for his role as a black infantryman by studying Sherman Hemsley. Rap artist Alpa Chino(Brandon T. Jackson) takes great offense to the Aussie's manner of modulation, because he knows that his people don't speak jive like a dry-cleaning merchant from the seventies. But just in case you missed the irony, his Kirk Lazarus(Robert Downey Jr.) is an actor from Australia who prepared for his role as a black infantryman by studying Sherman Hemsley. Rap artist Alpa Chino(Brandon T. Jackson) takes great offense to the Aussie's manner of modulation, because he knows that his people don't speak jive like a dry-cleaning merchant from the seventies. But just in case you missed the irony, his people might also take offense to a soft drink he peddles around called Booty Sweat. Alpa Chino, arguably, is guilty of minstrelism, too. Skin color loses some of its relevance, since both men perpetuate the same media-created stereotype that all African-American males talk as if they're imitating some musical idiom(jazz or rap, depending on the generation). Cartoonist Gary Larson of "Far Side(The)"-fame, drew a incisive panel about pigeonholing people, or in his case, birds, being birds that don't comply with our notions of bird-like behavior(the caption read: "Non-singing canaries take shop"). There's no intent on Lazarus' part to offend the black community; it's just another role to him, another opportunity to expand his acting range, a challenge. A method actor like Lazarus has an ego that drives his inner muse to be the "person" to the best of his ability; to lampoon his character's racial identity would be antithetical to the spirit of "The Method". In Lazarus' self-involved mind; black people talk like this. And even worse, that he IS black. Alpa Chino knows how black people talk, but that doesn't prevent him from pitching a carbonated soft drink demographically-targeted towards his own kind which would give somebody like Lazarus the wrongheaded impression that all black people are pimps and hos. The filmmaker gets away with blackface because he has the shrewdness to understand that the gangsta rap sub-genre in hip-hop culture, is an even more insidious brand of minstreling than the vaudeville acts from time immemorial. "Tropic Thunder" knows the language of "South Park" by heart. It satirizes and takes no prisoners. Nobody is spared. Nobody. When Cartman crashes the Special Olympics by impersonating a "retarded" person, he becomes the butt of his own joke, when the mentally-impaired athletes repeatedly kick his ass. That's the problem with Simple Jack, the handicapped character played by Tugg Speedman(Ben Stiller); there's no turnabout-is-fair-play moment to excuse the harsh depiction of the "full-on retarded" in this cruel, but undeniably funny movie. If you're reaching for a silver lining, though, you can make the argument that a male model(Derek Zoolander, from this filmmaker's own "Zoolander") is more "retarded" than Jack, so his own "retarded"-ness achieves a state of relativity. Expand
  71. MoniqueM
    Aug 15, 2008
    This is one of the best comedy movies, I was laughing from the start, its worth seeing more than once!
  72. MollyG.
  73. ChrisW.
    Aug 16, 2008
    Brilliant cast... absolutely hysterical... The story was a little weak... but then again aren't all comedies? Jack Black was stellar... Robert Downey Jr. was amazing... Ben Stiller...was kind of typical as his previous performances. T.Cruise was the funniest I have ever seen him.
  74. EricE.
    Aug 17, 2008
    Didn't go in expecting much. Was better than I hoped. Not an awesome movie by any means but worthy of watching.
  75. TaylorH.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Great, but not as great as Zoolander.
  76. MitchellC.
    Aug 18, 2008
    One of the funniest films this year, and a great movie on Hollywood satire. Tom Cruise was awesome as the money grubbing exec Les Grossman.
  77. PierreTalentShow
    Aug 18, 2008
    Great all-around cast, splendid movie making on such a well produced comedy film that introduced great dramatic elements. Alpa-Chino was one of the most interesting, intellectual characters of the movie, and Downey Jr. delivers again. Scorcher 6? Brilliant.
  78. CodyR.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Best comedy ever. Robert Downey Jr. is brilliant.
  79. MikeL.
    Aug 19, 2008
    Awesome movie! Funniest movie of the year by a mile. Also had great action for a comedy. And Jack Black steals the show. Trust me, you will love it!!!
  80. LauraD.
    Aug 22, 2008
    Simple: Best comedy movie, I have seen in a while.
  81. Ben
    Aug 24, 2008
    Reasonably entertaining movie, but not the laugh-your-whole-way-through title that it was advertised as.
  82. TimmyJ
    Aug 24, 2008
    Robert Downey Jr. was ridiculously amazing... can't wait to see it again and catch even more of it!
  83. LayneM.
    Aug 27, 2008
    One of the funniest movies of all time. I simply do not understand people not getting this movie. It's amazing.
  84. NealVanGorder
    Aug 27, 2008
    Great one liners! Fantastic cast and funnier the 2nd time.
  85. LarryS.
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hilarious - as un-PC as they come. Downey Jr and Cruise in awesome performances. Great send up/
  86. Tj
    Jan 21, 2009
    The movie was hilarious until about half way through the film. Then the jokes sort of died down, which was a disappointment. There's a 5 minute sequence where they're planning to break Stillers character out that had no jokes in it. It almost ruins the end since you're so bored you consider to stop watching, however the end was worth it.
  87. ChuckO.
    Nov 18, 2008
    Absolutely one of the funniest movies I've seen in years. Downey just about steals this one.
  88. MattB.
    Dec 26, 2008
    A brilliantly original metamorphosis of the best minds of the day with a new take on a terrible historic event. Simply hilarious.
  89. Oct 17, 2010
    I seriously thought this was going to be an incredibly dim-witted and just plain stupid movie, but I found myself laughing almost the entire time. I was seriously surprised at how well they are able to mock and satirize the movie industry in so many ways, and I think people need to realize that that was what they were doing, NOT trying to make fun of mentally disabled people.
  90. Aug 19, 2010
    Fictional actors making 'Nam film based on book, writer of book suggests going deeper into unknown territory for more authentic feel, things go wrong.
    Predictable but amusing comedy which has a very big cast, a funny script, lots of in-jokes & good cameos.
    Lots of parodies of Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, etc & nice to see the actors poking fun at themselves.
  91. May 21, 2011
    what is so special about this movie is , that the emotions displayed when the real actors are caught in a no where land which is not a film at all. the gripping scene of the movie is the landmine explosion of the director of the movie. goosebumps are sure for audiences after that scene. neatly narrated, perfectly screenplayed especially in second half. the initial 15 minutes was a bitwhat is so special about this movie is , that the emotions displayed when the real actors are caught in a no where land which is not a film at all. the gripping scene of the movie is the landmine explosion of the director of the movie. goosebumps are sure for audiences after that scene. neatly narrated, perfectly screenplayed especially in second half. the initial 15 minutes was a bit boring and opening trailers was not a convincing way to begin, but sooner or later, movie takes a turn and enters deep in to the real jungles struggling for life. friendship , foes , obsession and all real activities are seen in the characters. tom cruise was awesome in his specific role. but always he shouts. thats what i did not like. rest all characters give life to the movie. good recommended movie. Expand
  92. Nov 26, 2011
    Funny film. A lot of priceless moments in it and it showed just how well Stiller and Downey Jr can act. I didnt not like Jack Black at all though, He brought the entire film down imo. Overall it was still a good comedy.
  93. Mar 9, 2011
    Tropic Thunder is probably the funniest movie I've ever seen, whenever I still laugh till it hurts, it's just done so perfectly, I can't find a flaw with this movie, this is truly deserving of a perfect 10.
  94. May 21, 2011
    acting was superb. funny as **** this movie was so funny. it had me crying in the movie theaters. Robert downey jr and tom cruise were too funny. this movie was just funny. i love it. it was great. 9 out of 10. near perfect.
  95. Jun 12, 2011
    I absolutely loved this movie. This is how a comedy should be done. It takes a plot and lets the comedy flow from the plot, it doesn't throw random topical references out. Robert Downey Jr. is amazing, Jack Black and Ben Stiller were fantastic. However the best performance comes from Tom Cruse, thats right I said Tom Cruse. I wont say who he plays because part of the glory of his role isI absolutely loved this movie. This is how a comedy should be done. It takes a plot and lets the comedy flow from the plot, it doesn't throw random topical references out. Robert Downey Jr. is amazing, Jack Black and Ben Stiller were fantastic. However the best performance comes from Tom Cruse, thats right I said Tom Cruse. I wont say who he plays because part of the glory of his role is actually figuring out and comming to terms with the fact that it is Tom Cruse. This is one of the best comedy's in a very long time. If you get the chance watch this movie. Expand
  96. Jun 22, 2011
    Super funny awesome movie. Very original concept (making a war movie by putting the actors in a war), and professional acting. All the characters are hilarious, and there's alot of movie references. Best funny action movie, next to The Other Guys.
  97. Oct 13, 2012
    If you think statements of "its f***king hilarious" are crass then I dont recommend this f***king hilarious movie. Great stuff for those of us with a sense of humour.
  98. Aug 25, 2011
    It's comedy with real guts. It can go out, be as loud and as rude as it wants to be, and be intelligent to boot. If only it weren't trying to look like Apocalypse Now times 10 every other scene, it would be a classic.
  99. Dec 12, 2011
    It was funny at times but really stupid as others. The cast was solid but Jack Black was not fit for this film at all and was pretty terrible through out. Also it felt a little too dragged on imo. Tom Cruise was excellent in it though and made the film worth watching for his part alone.
  100. Apr 1, 2012
    First off, this is a 9.25 out of 10. It's really funny. Story is good, and so is the acting. Everyone did a good job, especially Robert Downey Jr. Overall, this a really, funny movie that you should watch. Highly recommended.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Tropic Thunder is the funniest movie of the summer--so funny, in fact, that you start laughing before the film itself has begun.
  2. Stiller manages his movie nicely so that all actors get their share of the comic spotlight. Seldom does an ensemble comedy not contain a single weak character or performance as does this one.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Apart from startling, out-there comic turns by Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise, however, the antics here are pretty thin, redundant and one-note.