Tropic Thunder

7.3

1. May 17, 2016
    Now this is true comedy gold right here. Everyone managed to make this film look hilariously funny and I guarantee you that you'll have a fun time watching Tropic Thunder again. It's a movie within a movie.
  2. Feb 1, 2016
    Zany and bombastic, Tropic Thunder is a fantastic satirical skewering Hollywood, its members, and of war movies in particular. The acting, especially from Matthew McConaughey and Tom Cruise, is great and the film as a whole is truly hysterical. The various elements of Hollywood that are parodied are too numerous to list out, but each is given its due and is really mocked thoroughly. ThoughZany and bombastic, Tropic Thunder is a fantastic satirical skewering Hollywood, its members, and of war movies in particular. The acting, especially from Matthew McConaughey and Tom Cruise, is great and the film as a whole is truly hysterical. The various elements of Hollywood that are parodied are too numerous to list out, but each is given its due and is really mocked thoroughly. Though it can be over-the-top at times, it is a fantastic time throughout that really exceeded my expectations completely. I expected it to be pretty dumb all around, but instead, I got a crazy good time that kept me laughing from beginning to end. The writing is good, the mise en scene as a whole is very good, and I loved the make-up and characterization in particular. Overall, Tropic Thunder lived up to the hype and more. Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2011
    Tropic Thunder is probably the funniest movie I've ever seen, whenever I still laugh till it hurts, it's just done so perfectly, I can't find a flaw with this movie, this is truly deserving of a perfect 10.
  4. Mar 24, 2016
    [8/10] -- About as equally apt and witty as it is gasp-worthy and absurd, "Tropic Thunder" is one of the better films from Ben Stiller's directorial filmography, featuring fun action, a brilliant sense of self-awareness, and impossibly hilarious turns from both Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise. "Tropic Thunder" is that unsung gem of a summer comedy that really brings in the consistent[8/10] -- About as equally apt and witty as it is gasp-worthy and absurd, "Tropic Thunder" is one of the better films from Ben Stiller's directorial filmography, featuring fun action, a brilliant sense of self-awareness, and impossibly hilarious turns from both Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise. "Tropic Thunder" is that unsung gem of a summer comedy that really brings in the consistent laughs, without sacrificing the story, pace, or characters. If only, we'd gotten "Tropic Thunder 2" before "Zoolander 2." Expand
  5. Mar 31, 2012
    What a pile of crap. The movie had a bunch of stupid actors playing stupid roles. Robert Downey Jr. looked like an idiot being a black man and the comedy was dreadful. Ridilcouisly stupid.
  6. Sep 25, 2011
    If you exaggerate the meaning, "Tropic Thunder" is a excellent movie with **** good humor. If you look at me eye to eye for my honest opinion, its just a unpredictable movie that has its laughs.
  7. Jun 8, 2013
    Tropic Thunder had some pretty solid acting and enjoyable action scenes, Funny at times as well but I gotta admit it was rather stupid. I didn't mind it though but it's not the kind of comedy that I'd enjoy seeing again.
  8. Mar 31, 2012
    My mind can not even warp around just how stupid this Hollywood trash was. I wish I didn't have to suffer through this unfunny, horribly un-entertaining film. I maybe laughed once at this stupid sh**
  9. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Funny movie,awesome cast,great idea,This is the movie Tropic thunder in three words.This comedy movie is one of my favourite by far because of the actors(Ben Stiller,Jack Black,Robert Downey Jr,…) and because of the funny scenes if you want to watch a good action/comedy movie then pick him. Expand
  10. Aug 25, 2014
    Strong 3 stars.

Before the movie even really began, I already knew one thing: I want to see "Satan's Alley". When is it coming out? (Yeah, I like queer movies, sue me...) Ok, back to "Tropic Thunder" itself. It was insanely funny at places. I was expecting a full-blown comedy, but apparently someone decided to put some plot into the movie too. Not a totally wasted effort, that.
    Strong 3 stars.

Ok, back to "Tropic Thunder" itself.

The cast was brilliant. Honestly, I couldn't even tell they had Tom Cruise on board until I began to suspect it might be him half-way through. Jack Black was pretty hilarious, though not over-board with his role. Robert Downey Jr. had a lot to say, apparently - and most of it made no sense at all. It was nice to see his character find himself in the end.

Altogether, I liked this one. A wicked movie. In a way, this was the same kind of look into acting as Stiller's "Zoolander" was at male modeling - though not as bad as a movie.
  11. May 9, 2016
    Love this film! Great comedy and lots of action. Lots of quotable lines. Hilarious!

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-747-Tropic-Thunder
  12. Apr 19, 2015
    One of the better comedies I have seen that came out in the last 10 years.

Acting is generally OK. However Cruise and RDJ are phenomenal. Stiller is as Bland as usual. Story, effects and writing are pretty good. Not brilliant, but for a comedy better than you expect. Overall: Tropic Thunder is far from being a classic, but, it is fun and aims to entertain us. Really great seeing
    One of the better comedies I have seen that came out in the last 10 years.

Overall:
    Tropic Thunder is far from being a classic, but, it is fun and aims to entertain us. Really great seeing such over the top characters. Heck, this is easily my favourite Tom Cruise performance.
  13. Dec 7, 2012
    A 7? Am I missing something? I know the movie is good .. but it is a bit boring ..
  14. Aug 19, 2010
    Fictional actors making 'Nam film based on book, writer of book suggests going deeper into unknown territory for more authentic feel, things go wrong.
    Predictable but amusing comedy which has a very big cast, a funny script, lots of in-jokes & good cameos.
    Lots of parodies of Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, etc & nice to see the actors poking fun at themselves.
  15. Dec 12, 2011
    It was funny at times but really stupid as others. The cast was solid but Jack Black was not fit for this film at all and was pretty terrible through out. Also it felt a little too dragged on imo. Tom Cruise was excellent in it though and made the film worth watching for his part alone.
  16. Nov 26, 2011
    Funny film. A lot of priceless moments in it and it showed just how well Stiller and Downey Jr can act. I didnt not like Jack Black at all though, He brought the entire film down imo. Overall it was still a good comedy.
  17. Mar 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just say that I thought the backstories for the characters were horrible. They were just typical cliched Hollywood stereotypes I couldn't even care for. But was the movie funny? Yes it was! Lol at Tom Cruise's rant to "Flaming Dragon"! Expand
  18. Aug 25, 2011
    It's comedy with real guts. It can go out, be as loud and as rude as it wants to be, and be intelligent to boot. If only it weren't trying to look like Apocalypse Now times 10 every other scene, it would be a classic.
  19. Apr 15, 2016
    With laughable dialogue and scenes, add to that a great cast with a funny story; all add up to make tropic thunder, tropic fun. In the end, there is no reason why viewers wont leave entertain and please.
  20. Jun 1, 2016
    This movie is hilarious! even by today's standards. The cast is all really great, the highlight of the movie is at the very beginning with the trailers. Such a creative way to start the movie, in the theater, you are not sure if it even is the movie at first.
  21. May 21, 2011
    acting was superb. funny as **** this movie was so funny. it had me crying in the movie theaters. Robert downey jr and tom cruise were too funny. this movie was just funny. i love it. it was great. 9 out of 10. near perfect.
  22. Oct 17, 2010
    I seriously thought this was going to be an incredibly dim-witted and just plain stupid movie, but I found myself laughing almost the entire time. I was seriously surprised at how well they are able to mock and satirize the movie industry in so many ways, and I think people need to realize that that was what they were doing, NOT trying to make fun of mentally disabled people.
  23. Jan 26, 2013
    Definetly the best movie of 2008. Best comedy, Best makeup. Adam Sandler is awesome in this movie and MUST get a Oscar. The average ratings and negative ratings by the users must be removed.
  24. Apr 1, 2012
    First off, this is a 9.25 out of 10. It's really funny. Story is good, and so is the acting. Everyone did a good job, especially Robert Downey Jr. Overall, this a really, funny movie that you should watch. Highly recommended.
  25. Jun 12, 2011
    I absolutely loved this movie. This is how a comedy should be done. It takes a plot and lets the comedy flow from the plot, it doesn't throw random topical references out. Robert Downey Jr. is amazing, Jack Black and Ben Stiller were fantastic. However the best performance comes from Tom Cruse, thats right I said Tom Cruse. I wont say who he plays because part of the glory of his role isI absolutely loved this movie. This is how a comedy should be done. It takes a plot and lets the comedy flow from the plot, it doesn't throw random topical references out. Robert Downey Jr. is amazing, Jack Black and Ben Stiller were fantastic. However the best performance comes from Tom Cruse, thats right I said Tom Cruse. I wont say who he plays because part of the glory of his role is actually figuring out and comming to terms with the fact that it is Tom Cruse. This is one of the best comedy's in a very long time. If you get the chance watch this movie. Expand
  26. Apr 11, 2016
  27. Jan 4, 2013
    Most unfunny slap-stick piece of junk I've EVER seen in my life. It's pretty sad that the only funny part in this movie is Ben Stiller acting as a retarded kid for mercenaries in a play. yeah.
  28. May 21, 2011
    what is so special about this movie is , that the emotions displayed when the real actors are caught in a no where land which is not a film at all. the gripping scene of the movie is the landmine explosion of the director of the movie. goosebumps are sure for audiences after that scene. neatly narrated, perfectly screenplayed especially in second half. the initial 15 minutes was a bitwhat is so special about this movie is , that the emotions displayed when the real actors are caught in a no where land which is not a film at all. the gripping scene of the movie is the landmine explosion of the director of the movie. goosebumps are sure for audiences after that scene. neatly narrated, perfectly screenplayed especially in second half. the initial 15 minutes was a bit boring and opening trailers was not a convincing way to begin, but sooner or later, movie takes a turn and enters deep in to the real jungles struggling for life. friendship , foes , obsession and all real activities are seen in the characters. tom cruise was awesome in his specific role. but always he shouts. thats what i did not like. rest all characters give life to the movie. good recommended movie. Expand
  29. Aug 27, 2015
    When it rarely made me laugh, it made me laugh hard. Everything in this movie, the acting, writing, Special FX, and comedy are all varying wildly in quality. In spite of that I would think this movie was deserving of an 8 just barely falling short of a 9.

I had to take a point off for the complete lack of women in this movie, and the fact that the casting was so blatantly sexist I have to take a point off for. This movie has only one actress in it, Yvette Nicole Brown, a great comedic actor in her own right if only she was allowed to shine. So many female comedians could have added to this project, and it's a shame that wasn't allowed to happen. No movie can be allowed to get away with that, not even one as good as this.
  30. Jul 19, 2011
    Hilarious! One of the funniest films ever for sure. Cool concept and with an all-star cast of Ben stiller, Jack Black, and more. Will be in my top ten and classified as a classic in my mind for a long time.
  31. Mar 20, 2013
    Cram Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Tom Cruise, Danny McBride and Bill Hader together.. then yes, you have a classic movie that manages to be both inteligent and hillarious. Simple Jack and The Scorcher Series are just two of the gut-busting moments you may encounter. The acting is top notch from an exceptional and experienced cast and this is a perfect blend of action andCram Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Tom Cruise, Danny McBride and Bill Hader together.. then yes, you have a classic movie that manages to be both inteligent and hillarious. Simple Jack and The Scorcher Series are just two of the gut-busting moments you may encounter. The acting is top notch from an exceptional and experienced cast and this is a perfect blend of action and comedy. C'mon guys! You can give a saucy teenage flick a nine or ten but Tropic Thunder barely deserves a five? Some people just went full retard. Expand
  32. Jun 22, 2011
    Super funny awesome movie. Very original concept (making a war movie by putting the actors in a war), and professional acting. All the characters are hilarious, and there's alot of movie references. Best funny action movie, next to The Other Guys.
  33. Sep 30, 2014
    Funny,stupid, and funny. Top of the line acting, lots of WTF moments, amazing writing, and a pretty deep story, for a cheap comedy movie at least. Go on and watch it, for the fun of it.
  34. Feb 13, 2016
    " An awesome parody about Hollywood and war movies with an awesome cast, over the top action, good jokes and one of the best intros of all time. "

+ (positive) + a huge satire about Hollywood + post movie trailers + over the top action + cast + idea + funny scenes - (negative): - a little bit over the top - not every joke is funny - most of the jokes are just okay GENRE

+ (positive)
    + a huge satire about Hollywood
    + post movie trailers
    + over the top action
    + cast
    + idea
    + funny scenes

- (negative):
    - a little bit over the top
    - not every joke is funny
    - most of the jokes are just okay

GENRE RATING: 7.8
    OVERALL RATING: 7.0
  35. SAV
    Jul 30, 2015
    Demenziale commedia americana firmata Ben Stiller che prende in giro i più famosi film di guerra e lo star system hollywoodiano in generale. La pellicola si vanta di attori del calibro di Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Tom Cruise e lo stesso Ben Stiller. Un film complessivamente divertente anche se non un kolossal della comicità a causa di qualche esagerazione di troppo. Da vedere inDemenziale commedia americana firmata Ben Stiller che prende in giro i più famosi film di guerra e lo star system hollywoodiano in generale. La pellicola si vanta di attori del calibro di Robert Downey Jr, Jack Black, Tom Cruise e lo stesso Ben Stiller. Un film complessivamente divertente anche se non un kolossal della comicità a causa di qualche esagerazione di troppo. Da vedere in compagnia di amici per passare una serata all'insegna del trash e delle assurdità. Expand
  36. Jan 27, 2016
    I think one of the best things about Tropic Thunder is that the humor is a massive mocumentary of Hollywood and how it works. Everybody is this movie great and the stand out is definitely Tom Cruise as Les Grossman. An enjoyable film if you're looking for more layers to the film though you wont find it as it is a straight up comedy.
  37. Oct 13, 2012
    If you think statements of "its f***king hilarious" are crass then I dont recommend this f***king hilarious movie. Great stuff for those of us with a sense of humour.
  38. Jun 23, 2012
    Really great movie.:):):):):):):):):
    This completely reestablished my fragile perception of reality with its uncontainable bodacity. Crunchy babies. ARGH
  39. Oct 27, 2015
    This is one of my favorite movies, it's hilarious. And the cast is good too, it's an awesome movie overall and very enjoyable

.. .
  40. RiverS.
    Oct 3, 2008
    I thought this movies was ridiculing those with physical and mental disability i.e 'retard'( i quote form the film). Also there was child abuse involved (throwing the chinese child off the bridge), i thought this was not needed. last of all i thought the film was being homophbic, so what if he's gay, there was no need for the characters to make him uncomfortable about it.
  41. SidR.
    Oct 3, 2008
    This film is seriously hilarious, i was laughing almost at every scene, the bonus of this film is you get to see Tom Cruise dancing for at least five minutes, his dance moves is just unbelievably funny!!
  42. AntiLonnC.
    Aug 14, 2008
    Lonn C said ZERO because to bruing the average down which defeats the whole purpose of a group average. So I am voting 10 to push Lonn's 0 to 5 which is the score that would have been given. Come on people, do your review based on your opinion, ignore other comments and the group average. The idea is everyone gives their honest and as unbiased as possible opinion and then the group Lonn C said ZERO because to bruing the average down which defeats the whole purpose of a group average. So I am voting 10 to push Lonn's 0 to 5 which is the score that would have been given. Come on people, do your review based on your opinion, ignore other comments and the group average. The idea is everyone gives their honest and as unbiased as possible opinion and then the group average reflects the users opinions. Giving a much lower score because the current average score does not reflect your opinion is just turning the average score into your opinion which makes it worthless. Expand
  43. RobertT
    May 7, 2009
    This movie was not in the least bit as fnny as it is made out to be. Seriously the only funny thing in the movie is Jack Black's character. That was hilarious. If someone thinks his movie is intelligent then they are insane. I really did not like the lame attempt at laugs, especially Robert Downy Jr.'s character and also Ben Stillers character was incredibly unfunny. Overall is This movie was not in the least bit as fnny as it is made out to be. Seriously the only funny thing in the movie is Jack Black's character. That was hilarious. If someone thinks his movie is intelligent then they are insane. I really did not like the lame attempt at laugs, especially Robert Downy Jr.'s character and also Ben Stillers character was incredibly unfunny. Overall is if you want to see a dumb, mostly unfunny comedy then you should watch it, bu why waste your time. Expand
  44. RafaelF.
    Aug 11, 2008
    I just saw an advance screening and must say this movie was awesome. Much more than what I expected.
  45. DavidB.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hilarious movie all around. Robert Downey Jr is absolutely fantastic, and the rest of the cast does a great job as well. This isn't comedy of the summer (Pineapple Express will be hard to surpass), but it's still really good.
  46. MikeK
    Aug 18, 2008
    Terrible movie don't understand all the great reviews the beginning is the only funny part. After that it is just the same jokes over and over, do yourself a favor save $10 and wait for DVD even then pretty weak movie.
  47. SeanR.
    Aug 20, 2008
    Funny here and there, I suppose if you like on the nose humor this is your movie.
  48. Paula
    Aug 24, 2008
    gross, offensive, barely a chuckle.
  49. KevinD.
    Aug 24, 2008
    Worst movie I've seen since Date Movie, which was the worst I've ever seen. I get that the movie pokes fun at Hollywood (itself), and that's worth something. But, it isn't nearly enough. This movie just wasn't funny. Tom Cruise was the best part of the whole movie.
  50. AlexB.
    Aug 5, 2008
    With apologies to WALL-E and The Dark Knight, this is the best movie of the summer. It works because it's a send-up of Hollywood, not of war movies in general. Like Paul P. said, it had great comedy without going too over the top. Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely amazing, and would be the best thing in the movie were it not for the presence of a big name actor who I won't reveal With apologies to WALL-E and The Dark Knight, this is the best movie of the summer. It works because it's a send-up of Hollywood, not of war movies in general. Like Paul P. said, it had great comedy without going too over the top. Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely amazing, and would be the best thing in the movie were it not for the presence of a big name actor who I won't reveal here (although any movie fan has probably heard about his presence). Expand
  51. LaurenC
    Sep 1, 2008
    The movie was long, with little meaningful plot, and an star studded cast whose talents were wasted on a no-brainer idiotic script. It was insulting that any producer would expect people to find the contrived "jokes" funny. A "1" for Tom Cruises cameo, because that was indeed worth a chuckle. But, there were little redeeming qualities about this movie and I left the theater feeling cheated.
  52. Anonymous
    Sep 1, 2008
    This movie was hilarious and smart.
  53. EvanL
    Sep 1, 2008
    I can see why some people didn't like this movie. There were so many obscure hilarious references to movies like apocalypse now and such. You fellas should get out more.
  54. TimE.
    Sep 6, 2008
    This movie is not a 10 or a 9, but I think it's quite good, and worth watching it!
  55. BruceW.
    Sep 7, 2008
    Hilarious and cutting. From the opening psuedo trailers to the closing Tom Cruise dance, this moving poked fun at all those Vietnam films and at the film industry. Two thumbs up.
  56. giln
    Jun 8, 2009
    Tropic Thunder was a cheap remake of Galaxy Quest. All they did was go from space to the jungle. Next it will be some actors from Lost getting kidnapped onto a real island full of Gilligan girls and dinosauers and giant apes. If copyright laws were tighter Tropic Thunder would be another infringement case. Goes to show that big shot Hollywood types are not so talented after all.
  57. TedB.
    Oct 15, 2008
    Just not quite funny enough? Lots of the Jokes fall flat but you're left amazed by the amount of money spent on them?
  58. Wokoil
    Oct 22, 2008
    For me, this movie is beyond bad. Granted, I'm don't usually tune in to this kind of weak comedy so I think I saw through it pretty much when steve coogan had that stupid look on his face he now considers his acting masterclass (can you believe this guy used to do 'the day today?!?). I'm just amazed that some of you are giving it 8,9 & 10's. No offense, but some For me, this movie is beyond bad. Granted, I'm don't usually tune in to this kind of weak comedy so I think I saw through it pretty much when steve coogan had that stupid look on his face he now considers his acting masterclass (can you believe this guy used to do 'the day today?!?). I'm just amazed that some of you are giving it 8,9 & 10's. No offense, but some of you saying it was laugh out loud funny for 90 minutes really need to get out more. Film Critic Richard Corliss summed it up perfectly for me with "The brain gets the joke; the ribs are untickled" Expand
  59. MarkB.
    Oct 9, 2008
    To go "full-on retard" or not to go "full-on retard", that is the question. Perhaps if I were the parent of a Down's syndrome child I could more easily embrace the objections of those who are, in some cases, understandably offended by the dialogues that occur late in Ben Stiller's take-no-prisoners film industry satire between actors debating whether to use restaint in To go "full-on retard" or not to go "full-on retard", that is the question. Perhaps if I were the parent of a Down's syndrome child I could more easily embrace the objections of those who are, in some cases, understandably offended by the dialogues that occur late in Ben Stiller's take-no-prisoners film industry satire between actors debating whether to use restaint in portraying mentally challenged characters, as Tom Hanks did in Forrest Gump, or to go way over the top like Sean Penn in I Am Sam, and the box office and Academy Award rewards and penalties that potentially go with either approach. Although I can sympathize (if not empathize) with said critics, I think some of them may be too emotionally close to the subject to understand that Tropic Thunder's principals are figures of ridicule and NOT ROLE MODELS--after all, nobody objected when the Nazis in Schindler's List spewed anti-Semitism, did they? Besides, Kirk Lazarus's (Robert Downey Jr., enjoying a movie year that some actors would sell less-loved siblings to have) and Tugg Speedman's (Stiller) observations are dead-on--if anything they don't go far enough. This movie doesn't mention the worst example of all: Cliff Robertson's horrible overacting in 1968's Charly, which netted him an Oscar for a role that he ruthlessly engineered for himself while demolishing Daniel Keyes' fine novel in the process. Tropic Thunder also neglects to discuss how many Little Golden Guys inevitably go to performers who (pardon the expression in advance) go "full-on gimp", portraying PHYSICALLY challenged folks (Jane Wyman, Daniel Day-Lewis, Hanks in Philadelphia, etc., etc. It could be said--though not by me--that the only actor to honestly come upon an Oscar this way was Marlee Matlin.) Clearly, the actors and crew of a Vietnam movie-within-a-movie who fall down a real-life rabbit hole that Lewis Carroll never dreamed of think that Konstantin ("Love art in yourself, not yourself in art") Stanislavski was a long-deposed Balkan government official; Stiller and cowriter Justin Theroux are ruthless in depicting them, and the result is a movie whose box office success, like that of 2006's Borat, happily disproves the old saw that satire is what closes on Saturday night. Unfortunately, as with Borat, much of Tropic Thunder is funnier on paper than actually on screen (and it never manages to top the magnificent parodies seen in the first five minutes, which among other things should prove beyond all remaining doubt that hacks-from-hell Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedburg should be shot into outer space). But even though Tropic Thunder is stuffed with insider jokes that will confuse if not outright bore casual moviegoers, it's difficult not to admire its utter mercilessness and lack of sentimentality in depicting EVERYONE in the profession as greedier and more heartless and self-centered than those in Wall Street and Washington combined. (Sadly, this hasn't changed much over the years; if you want proof, read Joseph McBride's disturbing John Ford and Frank Capra biographies. Nor will it: while AMC's brilliant TV series Mad Men delights in exposing the difference between early 1960s Madison Avenue culture and today's--puff, puff--TRopic Thunder could easily be remade 48 years later with very few changes.) But you gotta admire the resourcefulness, caginess and intelligence of A Certain Superstar whose recent couch-jumping antics, overespousal of religious beliefs and willingness to star in Robert Redford's boring Iraq preachathon have subjected him to hard times: his astonishing comeback cameo as a studio slimeball who maybe has taken a sequence in Risky Business a bit too much to heart has, at least for now, restored for Mr. Cruise the mantle of One Of The Smartest Guys In Hollywood. Expand
  60. PaulP.
    Jun 27, 2008
    This was a great Action Comedy. It really mixed the production value and effects of a great Vietnam movie with edgy comedy that we don't see very much these days. The actors play the comedy straight, but not in an over the top silly matter that we are used to seeing in other send up movies. There is plenty of movie references throughout, but unlike most parody movies, the viewer can This was a great Action Comedy. It really mixed the production value and effects of a great Vietnam movie with edgy comedy that we don't see very much these days. The actors play the comedy straight, but not in an over the top silly matter that we are used to seeing in other send up movies. There is plenty of movie references throughout, but unlike most parody movies, the viewer can enjoy this movie on it's own merit and without seeing any of the referenced films. I would have to say that this movie really broke new ground in combining comedy and action and I don't think I have ever seen a movie like it; and that's hard to find in today's cinema. Expand
  61. PatrickS.
    Aug 14, 2008
    I'll give it a 10 just to balance that last gus 0 - can't wait to seet it! Ben Stiller rocks!!!
  62. Marvin
    Aug 17, 2008
    Very bland, boring, and unfunny in long stretches of the film.
  63. MattS.
    Aug 18, 2008
    This will become a comedy classic on the same high level that Stiller's other major directorial outing - Zoolander - currently sits at. Robert Downey Jr. in the role of a lifetime and Tom Cruise in the life-saving role of a lifetime are the highlights, but everything about this movie, from the minutes before it even begins to the credits after it ends, is pure genius. my only very This will become a comedy classic on the same high level that Stiller's other major directorial outing - Zoolander - currently sits at. Robert Downey Jr. in the role of a lifetime and Tom Cruise in the life-saving role of a lifetime are the highlights, but everything about this movie, from the minutes before it even begins to the credits after it ends, is pure genius. my only very minor quibble is that they provided no closure to the Jay Burachel storyline...I was kinda hoping to see him become a big Hollywood star in the end or something, because he was the only down-to-earth person in the entire movie. :P Expand
  64. BillG
    Aug 18, 2008
    Pushed by all the hype I went and Tropic Thunder today. The verdict: extremely over rated. There were a few clever parts and some amusing gags here and there, but mostly it was just silly and dumb. Afterwards I wished I'd gone to see Woody Allen's new movie a man who's humor is a little more developed than fart and "retard" jokes.
  65. JackH.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Nice Schmoolie G.....Nice. I didn't see this movie, and probably won't until it comes out for rental. But nice review either way Schmoolie.
  66. AndrewR.
    Aug 21, 2008
    One of the funniest comedies I have seen recently
  67. JeffM.
    Aug 20, 2008
    This was not a good movie. I feel dumber for having seen this.
  68. JohnG
    Aug 20, 2008
    The previews are expertly edited to show the few funny parts in the movie while hinting that this is just a taste of what will be an equally funny movie...this movie is actually boring and tired. Downey's character is the funniest but he has few good lines. A huge disappointment.
  69. Ashley
    Aug 22, 2008
    I have never laughed harder during a film. I consider it a perfect movie because it did exactly what it set out to do.
  70. TonyD
    Aug 23, 2008
    Ashley and Laura D. I just wonder wher is the joke? worst movie I've ever seen.
  71. SoorajM.
    Aug 25, 2008
    Hilarious. The funniest movie ever this year.
  72. PaulW.
    Aug 25, 2008
    This movie was meant to be a comedy???? I would call it a disaster film, bigger than Titanic or The Towering Inferno.
  73. WilliamFletcher
    Aug 30, 2008
    This exceeded my expectations by a huge degree. A truly funny movie with lots of genuine laughs. Thoroughly enjoyable, all-star cast and all.
  74. LonnC.
    Aug 8, 2008
    i wouldn't say 0, I would say 5, but I'm just averaging out the reviews. The movie isn't very good. It's funny, but it's pointless, repulsive and stupid. It' s dumb, dull, and boring. I guess its okay.
  75. JohnG.
    Sep 1, 2008
    Absolutely horrible. The constant use of the f word and crude remarks dealing with sexual acts on a man made me walk out during the movie. I was embarrassed to be in the theater. What bothered me most is that there were 6-7 year old kids sitting there watching this garbage.
  76. TzviM.
    Sep 1, 2008
    One of the funniest movies I've seen in years- non stop laughs, top notch satire, and surprisingly entertaining action. Better by far than "The Pineapple Express," which says a lot.
  77. NGRCNGRC
    Sep 21, 2008
    So disappointing, I don't understand how this film got labelled as a satire.... it's not, it's a spoof. Scary Movie in the jungle.
  78. JonU.
    Sep 28, 2008
    Few one joke movies are this entertaining - from the opening to the end it is a convulsive romp
  79. J.Petersen
    Sep 4, 2008
    A beautiful satire of the movie industry, filled with dark, dark comedy. If you take life too seriously, you may not enjoy it, but I loved the over-the-top insanity.
  80. BobW
    Sep 4, 2008
    I would rate it higher if not for the excessive use of the f word and a gory scene with the director.
  81. C.B.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Not as funny as I hoped, but better than 90% of the comedies of the last ten years... Cruise & McConaghey were really good. Jack Black's talents were wasted once again.
  82. JoshF.
    Sep 6, 2008
    Absolutely hilarious. excellent cast and very good script.
  83. LinL.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Needed a movie night that provided some laughs, for me as well as for my 20-something son -- and this really fit the bill. Hilarious!
  84. IgorG
    Feb 1, 2009
    Nice setup and a couple of good laughs, then 100 minutes of unfunny, stupid, vulgar dreck. I specifically noticed no one in the theatre laughed after the first five minutes. Had high hopes for it, but if you've seen the trailer you've seen every decent line in the movie. The Cruise character is a really nasty piece of work; the McConaughey dude is too witless for words; the Jack Nice setup and a couple of good laughs, then 100 minutes of unfunny, stupid, vulgar dreck. I specifically noticed no one in the theatre laughed after the first five minutes. Had high hopes for it, but if you've seen the trailer you've seen every decent line in the movie. The Cruise character is a really nasty piece of work; the McConaughey dude is too witless for words; the Jack Black bit is a humorless one-trick pony; none of these guys are the least bit funny. Should've known better -- Stiller flicks are just one or two clever gimmicks buried in two hours of garbage. Expand
  85. JayH.
    Nov 12, 2008
    Although it is an amusing premise, I was not quite as enthralled with the film as most. Robert Downey Jr. is great, and Jack Black dies well, but I had a problem with Ben Stiller. His one note performances are getting tiresome. Good cinematography. Entertaining but not very memorable.
  86. GerronK
    Nov 2, 2008
    Really good stuff.
  87. Carrie
    Nov 6, 2008
    Funnier than I thought, but not mind blowingly so. I thought it was pretty awesome, though, and am definenetly glad I cought it in the theater.
  88. ShanK.
    Dec 11, 2008
    Stiller rocked, downey stole the show but jack was too hilarious, one of the best comedies of 08.
  89. TaylorC.
    Dec 4, 2008
    The best part of Tropic Thunder is Robert Downey Jr. The rest of the characters n the movie are annoying and while watching, you wish they could just shut up. Jack Black's character is perhaps the worst. I like Jack Black, but he is incredibly annoying in this movie. The rest of the characters might be a tad bit annoying as well, but they are at least standable and contribute to the The best part of Tropic Thunder is Robert Downey Jr. The rest of the characters n the movie are annoying and while watching, you wish they could just shut up. Jack Black's character is perhaps the worst. I like Jack Black, but he is incredibly annoying in this movie. The rest of the characters might be a tad bit annoying as well, but they are at least standable and contribute to the real star of the movie. The movie has a plot that is an incredibly funny idea, and while it might no turn out perfect, it at least looks well. I suggest this movie as a rental. It is quite enjoyable t watch, but not worth the $20 rental. Expand
  90. meenaj
    Dec 8, 2008
    It was so hillarious, i loved it.
  91. PabloP.
    Jun 27, 2008
    I got to test screen this movie. It is really a good adult action comedy. While much has been made about the fact that Robert Downey JR plays a black man, and this is seen as racist, thats not the case at all. I won't go into details because it spoils the plot. The movie is no bars held action comedy. It has Good Action, and some really funny comedy. I just hope they aren't I got to test screen this movie. It is really a good adult action comedy. While much has been made about the fact that Robert Downey JR plays a black man, and this is seen as racist, thats not the case at all. I won't go into details because it spoils the plot. The movie is no bars held action comedy. It has Good Action, and some really funny comedy. I just hope they aren't forced to cut out the parts that really made this a good movie. Expand
  92. BenK.
    Jul 25, 2008
    Lame. A Ben Stiller ego trip. He should have spent more time on the script, and less time working out. Downey's funny, but Jack Black sucked. Stiller's about to go the way of Mike Myers.
  93. Mike
    Aug 10, 2008
    Funniest movie of the year!
    Aug 13, 2008
    quite possibly the best movie i have ever seen in my entire life. but definitely the best movie of the summer.
  95. THATMOVIEGUY
    Aug 14, 2008
    Pretty good satire with some outstanding acting. Tom Cruise of all people steals the show. The rest of the All Star cast including Nick Nolte are excellent. Take it for what ii is a fun dark comedy and you will enjoy it.
  96. ErinE.
    Aug 15, 2008
    I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. My sister and I are in our 30s and we laughed during the whole movie. I'm a social worker and wasn't offended by the movie as a realize it is satire. It has a couple of gross parts, but the rest of the movie makes up for them.
  97. DanE.
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ben Stiller has yet to make a very funny movie. Four laugh out louds and using the "F" word 50 times just doesn't cut it. Robert Downey did a great job!
  98. LayneD.
    Aug 15, 2008
    I gave this movie one point for every time I laughed. To be fair though, I left the theater about half way through, so there may have been one or two that I missed. I guess if you think the F-word is funny after the 100th time in 40 minutes, this is the movie for you. I didn't go into it expecting comic genius, but I hoped (in vain) for mildly intelligent.
  99. SchmoolieG.
    Aug 16, 2008
    "Tropic Thunder" lambastes Hollywood for its excesses? Nonsense. This movie is just as much of a useless exercise in Hollywood excess as any other. What is supposed to make it funny is its self-awareness of that fact. Critics are grooming this to be the comedy event of the Summer. This is unfortunate, because it is at its essence a very generic comedy. Jonesing for your monthly fix of "Tropic Thunder" lambastes Hollywood for its excesses? Nonsense. This movie is just as much of a useless exercise in Hollywood excess as any other. What is supposed to make it funny is its self-awareness of that fact. Critics are grooming this to be the comedy event of the Summer. This is unfortunate, because it is at its essence a very generic comedy. Jonesing for your monthly fix of fart/blood/fat/gay/black/retard jokes? You got it. Can't get enough of that "white-guy-dances-awkwardly-to-hip-hop" scene that has appeared in every single big-budget comedy made in the past decade? Let's do it. Twice! There's no room for real satire when you're busy working with the broken formulae that make this type of comedy so derivative to begin with. The opening trailers are hilarious, and the first 30-or-so minutes had the audience rolling, but the movie is insubstantial at its core. There are definitely some funny moments, but my lack of interest in the characters made the time between punchlines drag so much more. Ben Stiller is the same old one-dimensional wacky Ben Stiller that you either love or are completely ambivalent towards. Robert Downey Jr. was the only one who gave the audience anything to chew on. Expand
  100. SimpleJack
    Aug 16, 2008
    Instant classic.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Tropic Thunder is the funniest movie of the summer--so funny, in fact, that you start laughing before the film itself has begun.
  2. Stiller manages his movie nicely so that all actors get their share of the comic spotlight. Seldom does an ensemble comedy not contain a single weak character or performance as does this one.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Apart from startling, out-there comic turns by Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise, however, the antics here are pretty thin, redundant and one-note.