Trouble with the Curve

6.7

1. Aug 24, 2015
    I can normally watch, basically, any Eastwood movie; both directing, starring, or otherwise involved. But this movie....just...lacks...an identity. It feels ill-formed, the characters merely just reciting lines; and with Eastwood mysteriously losing his sight early in the movie, contrived. If you love Baseball and Eastwood, perhaps this is your movie. For me, I don't care for the Baseball,I can normally watch, basically, any Eastwood movie; both directing, starring, or otherwise involved. But this movie....just...lacks...an identity. It feels ill-formed, the characters merely just reciting lines; and with Eastwood mysteriously losing his sight early in the movie, contrived. If you love Baseball and Eastwood, perhaps this is your movie. For me, I don't care for the Baseball, so it was not worth it. Expand
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    I liked the performances of much of the cast. The storyline seemed serviceable but very predictable. Enjoyed the movie overall, but was not overly impressed.
  3. BKM
    Apr 10, 2013
    At one point in Trouble with the Curve, Clint Eastwood's gruff, aging baseball scout tells his daughter (Amy Adams) that he can't change. It's the only honest moment in a film that is loaded with crowd pleasing resolutions that feel too contrived and an overly simplistic view that the old ways are the best. None of which would have mattered if the plot was a little more focused or theAt one point in Trouble with the Curve, Clint Eastwood's gruff, aging baseball scout tells his daughter (Amy Adams) that he can't change. It's the only honest moment in a film that is loaded with crowd pleasing resolutions that feel too contrived and an overly simplistic view that the old ways are the best. None of which would have mattered if the plot was a little more focused or the cast had managed to muster any genuine emotions. It's the baseball equivalent of a lazy fly ball to center field. Expand
  4. Jan 12, 2013
    I do agree that Clint Eastwood is a legend. But Trouble with the Curve doesn't really stray from his usual 'formula' (i.e. grumpy Clint facing a situation that changes his life, etc) It has a strong supporting cast, but it is cliche drama at best. If you are a fan of his, you will enjoy this. Others will simply be bored.
  5. Dec 21, 2012
    I think what ruined this film was the fact that the plot was so empty. There was no serious back story, No real dialogue between characters, It was just two hours of nothing. It's well acted, I give it that, and it's interesting but it has no depth.
  6. Dec 20, 2012
    Trouble with the curve is a swing and miss. There were some funny lines throughout but the movie had the most predictable ending, that you can see coming from a mile away. Nothing special.
  7. Dec 20, 2012
    This movie was pretty uninteresting. It seemed like Clint was mumbling half the time, and Timberake's acting was horrible. It was enjoyable to some degree, but that isn't saying much.
  8. Dec 13, 2012
    While a lot of the movie may be very predictable, I feel that a lot of praise should be given to the actors. Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, and Justin Timberlake make things really interesting.
  9. Oct 5, 2012
    Check out these two OLD-school Hollywood veterans and see if they have Trouble with the Curve? They have a fresh perspective and smart, funny take on all things-film.
  10. Sep 27, 2012
    Below average fare. In the hands of a better writer and director, this could have been quirkier and more fun, but it just plods along. Clint doesn't pop, and Amy Adams is wasted.
  11. Sep 24, 2012
    I'm a fan of Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams and baseball so I decided to give this movie a shot. The story was extremely formulaic and predictable, but the actors give a solid performance. Clint basically plays the same curmudgeon he was in "Gran Torino". The way he treats his daughter is borderline cruel and not believable. Justin Timberlake is also not believable as an athlete andI'm a fan of Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams and baseball so I decided to give this movie a shot. The story was extremely formulaic and predictable, but the actors give a solid performance. Clint basically plays the same curmudgeon he was in "Gran Torino". The way he treats his daughter is borderline cruel and not believable. Justin Timberlake is also not believable as an athlete and occasionally his "rap accent" is noticeable. I know he's not a rapper but still he talks like one. This is the first movie I've seen him in and his acting was passable, but I just didn't believe him as being an ex big league pitcher. He's too small. The ending was all tied up neatly in a pretty Hollywood bow. Every problem was resolved. Not quite original enough for me to recommend. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Mark Dinning
    Nov 26, 2012
    You'll know exactly where it's going, but it still has Clint doing full-on-cranky and is a fun finger-up at corporate suits the world over.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Nov 25, 2012
    Saluting both America's national pastime and its oldest working icon, Curve is a solid heart-tugger that plays with a straight bat when it comes to plot, character and message.
  3. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 7, 2012
    The intricate baseball knowledge that gets passed back and forth among the characters in Trouble with the Curve is much more interesting than the moral simplicities that the movie offers. [8 Oct. 2012, p.87]