Trouble with the Curve

6.7

1. Apr 19, 2014
    Eastwood's performance was powerful ...............................................................................................................................................................................
  2. Nov 13, 2013
    Little known Amy Adams whose roles include “The Muppet's” and “The Master” delivers an inspiring role as Mickey in this Clint Eastwood directed classic. I find Amy’s performance as Mickey aspiring as a young woman seeking to balance her life as a lawyer at an Atlanta law firm and spending time with her estranged baseball scout dad “Gus”. Played by Client Eastwood, “Gus” is an agingLittle known Amy Adams whose roles include “The Muppet's” and “The Master” delivers an inspiring role as Mickey in this Clint Eastwood directed classic. I find Amy’s performance as Mickey aspiring as a young woman seeking to balance her life as a lawyer at an Atlanta law firm and spending time with her estranged baseball scout dad “Gus”. Played by Client Eastwood, “Gus” is an aging baseball scout who uses his natural ability to watch, listen, and read a players talent by instinct, not any digital aged devices.
    Mickey joins her dad, whose relationship is divided by career paths, to scout the Atlanta Braves next #1 draft pick. Like myself, Amy’s character is a huge baseball fan with knowledge of the game and its history, but since her childhood trauma, Gus had left her with an uncle when she was a young child. It is this time that Mickey’s spends with her dad I find invaluable, but her career begins to suffer as she spends the time with her dad. These strong traits she exhibits are motivating, as one who grows up without her parents to one who is willing to give of herself and work with the stresses from her law firm, are traits to draw inspiration from.
    This movie has all the ebb and flows of a true to life movie that we as movie goers lose out on in the age of comic book and robotic hero movies. This movie represents what a strong 10 rating should be, with strong performances by some new and older actors.
  3. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Possibly Eastwood's last movie, this could be a solid conclusion of his acting career.

Trouble with the Curve is a good-at-best baseball drama with a star-studded cast and an interesting story. It succeeds for the most part, but a couple of flaws bring it down from what could've been an Oscar-nominated or -winning drama with Eastwood as its front man.

The flaws include: A clunky script and illogical moments. Clint Eastwood's character almost never redeeming himself. Repetitive, annoying fights between Adams and Eastwood's characters. and some more.

Ill say the positives first. The cinematography and shots I this film were up to par: never going beyond, but never going backwards either. The acting was good, setting the standards for a movie of this caliber. The cast had a lot of Hollywood greats such as Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, John Goodman, and Justin Timberlake. I liked Timberlake the most, the only male character in the film to actually have the where-with-all and be completely sane. ;-)

That being said, the film lacked many good qualities. The script was clunky and never seemed to fit in at the right moments. Of course, Eastwood had his one liners ("What are you fellas staring at, I'm not a pole dancer."). But there was just constant fighting, and repetitive lines of dialogue between Eastwood and Adams. He would grunt, she would yell at him for not being there for her as a child, blah blah blah. The first time was acceptable, but then it just got plain tedious. And after about a minute of talking to him, she would storm out of the room, and then they would be shown together the next scene like everything was fine and dandy. There was never any redemption of Clint Eastwood's character until the very end, as if the first 45 minutes of the movie were a waste. And Justin Timberlake's character was very good; the guy can act! And even though he was a relief for the whole movie, he didn't get enough screen time to outdo the mess that Eastwood and Adams made throughout the movie.

Even though it seems like I had a million things to complain about, I still recommend this movie. Why? Because, flaws aside, it meshes together baseball, Clint Eastwood, a good cast, and enough family drama to compete with the Kardashians.
  4. Sep 15, 2013
    Well made with many baseball references that went well over my head but that didn’t matter. The film isn’t about that, it’s about relationships and as such I found it an engaging watch. Both Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams were excellent in this; I admire them both as actors and they didn’t disappoint. Justin Timberlake gets better each time I see him, I just wish he’d stop making those awfulWell made with many baseball references that went well over my head but that didn’t matter. The film isn’t about that, it’s about relationships and as such I found it an engaging watch. Both Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams were excellent in this; I admire them both as actors and they didn’t disappoint. Justin Timberlake gets better each time I see him, I just wish he’d stop making those awful records! (It’s a joke folks). Also worthy of note were Matthew Lillard as Phillip Sanderson, Robert Patrick as Vince and John Goodman as Pete Klein. It’s not a tear-jerker or a heart rending tale but I found it did strike an emotional chord with me. If, like me, you admire Eastwood and Adams then it’s well worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.1/10.
  5. Aug 16, 2013
    The typical American drama movie, but still nice. Lovely, sweet and drama, that's made me cry. All over, one of the bests movies from 2012, that must win an OSCAR
  6. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, lol. Literraly ever single loose end wrapped up perfectly 100% positive in the last 20 minutes of the movie. I actually started laughing out loud at this towards the end and my girlfriend though I was crazy. That single-handedly puts this in the 'family movie category'. Still, watch it with your gf and it's great- you get baseball references and she gets the family stuff. Expand
  7. Mar 12, 2013
    Some of the baseball scenes lack in realism, but all in all a good movie. Clint continues to give his Clint like performance, also Amy Adams and Justin Timberlake add some heart to the story.
  8. Jan 24, 2013
    The best movie I've seen of Clint Eastwood.
  9. Dec 31, 2012
    Coming from a civilised country which doesn't have baseball as a major sport, (and spells "civilised" correctly), I can say that this film is easy on the eye. It's not brilliant but it tells the story well enough and after all, Clint Eastwood is still good to watch.
  10. Dec 22, 2012
    One of the best show we have seen. Not sure how anyone could dislike another classic by Clint Eastwood. Even since Grand Torino, not enough films tell a story and do so so well. Strong acting, original story and even did not mind Timberlake.
  11. Sep 28, 2012
    It's not a home run like Moneyball, but between the heart and chemistry that Eastwood and Adams share, as well as the obvious passion the filmmakers have for the game, you can't help but enjoy this movie. It's necessarily a great sports film, or even one I'll be quick to watch again, but it's nice to see Eastwood still has it.
  12. Sep 22, 2012
    I give this origional movie a 5 because it shows another side of Clint, not just another gunslinger but someone that can play a depth character. I had the chance to meet with Clint at his resort, Mission Ranch, talk with him and what he wanted to do in his comming years. I had a chance to hear from him what he thought about this project. I give this a total 10, Gary Thanks Clint

1. Reviewed by: Mark Dinning
    Nov 26, 2012
    You'll know exactly where it's going, but it still has Clint doing full-on-cranky and is a fun finger-up at corporate suits the world over.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Nov 25, 2012
    Saluting both America's national pastime and its oldest working icon, Curve is a solid heart-tugger that plays with a straight bat when it comes to plot, character and message.
  3. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 7, 2012
    The intricate baseball knowledge that gets passed back and forth among the characters in Trouble with the Curve is much more interesting than the moral simplicities that the movie offers. [8 Oct. 2012, p.87]