6.7

1. Aug 17, 2014
    "Troy" is a great-looking epic, but lacks Iliad's spirituality and character depth. It is closer to Greek mythology than "300" or "Clash of the Titans", though, and more balanced, too. Its action sequences and impressive visuals are satisfying enough to enjoy it.
  2. Jun 29, 2014
    Troy is an action epic on the same level as Gladiator and Braveheart. The action scenes are flawless and the story is interesting. The movie turned out well due to the high budget and solid acting from the cast. Troy is one of the best action dramas of the last 10 years.
  3. Jun 21, 2014
    If you watch this movie with the understanding from the beginning that there are going to be no supernatural elements then this is a great film. When this first came out a few friends of mine were really upset that it didn't follow the Iliad very closely, because there was no gods and magic and living rivers or anything like that. I think it's fine to tell a version of the story without any magic to it. There's still interesting characters, and good fighting. If you like "battle movies" like Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, this is a movie you should see. Expand
  4. Jun 13, 2013
    A lot of people are foggy enough about the battle of Troy’s origins to confuse the story laid out in the “Iliad” with history. I’m sure you’ll hear more than one movie-goer comment on the film’s historical accuracy. Last night I heard at least two. But, like Hidalgo, The Passion, or maybe more like Harry Potter, Troy is another ambitious adaptation that only manages as solid entertainment. The idea of taking Homer’s battle poem and turning it into a movie is a good one, since it instantly leans towards the epic and contains plenty of notable and screen worthy characters. It’s also a story strongly ingrained in our cultural consciousness, after centuries of required classroom reading. It has already received some comparison to Gladiator, but where that movie was a surely modern fighting flick, the story of Troy lends itself much more to Hollywood’s golden age, the sort of thing that would have attracted a younger Chuck Heston. As Achilles, Brad Pitt is either naked or fighting. There’s no in between. Achilles is a guy who only wears clothes when he’s killing. I'm not sure what that says about his character. But don’t worry guys, it isn’t real Pitt nudity, just side-nudity. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much side-nudity in any film. I now know every intimate inch of Brad Pitt’s naked profile. Troy lacks the courage to show full frontal or even a little bit of ass crack. Odd for any other R-rated movie, but not really for this one which only barelyshows enough carnage to warrant a rated R. It could easily have slipped by as PG-13 and one has to wonder why they bothered at all with an R when the removal of even a thimble-full of blood could have garnered them something lesser. If you’re going to go R, make it worthwhile. Don’t be afraid of women’s breasts. Don’t run away from realistic battle sequences. Hey, throw in a couple of decapitations! This is war, not West Side Story. What the film’s massive battle sequences sometimes lack in ugly realism is made only worse by Director Wolfgang Petersen’s strange propensity to focus in on one on one battles to the exclusion of all else. A hundred-thousand men clash on the field of battle, yet everything falls silent as soldiers form a big school-yard huddle whenever Hector picks up his sword. Should he dispatch a particularly difficult foe, he mutters “that’s enough” and all one-hundred thousand men just seem to wander home. Maybe I’ve been permanently spoiled by Peter Jackson’s groundbreaking siege in The Two Towers, but Troy’s bigger and supposedly badder battles just can’t compare. Troy fails to garner any excitement from its massive scale, but Petersen does have an amazing gift for filming one on one action. The final big battle between Achilles and Hector is engrossing and amazing. That’s due in no small part to both Pitt and Bana’s impressive performances, in which both brilliantly capture the physicality of their respective characters. Still, it is impossible to walk away from Troy completely unsatisfied. Despite some major directing flaws, Petersen does deliver an enjoyably huge (if a little too long) period adventure. Women will no doubt swoon at the legions of male characters clad in thigh revealing leather costumes. Men will go insane over Achilles kicking ass against anything and everything that moves. Troy is big, grandiose, and entertaining. With such a marvelous cast, I wish Petersen had delivered a masterpiece, but I’ll settle for some solid sandal-wearing fun. Expand
  5. Mar 14, 2013
    Not that Blockbuster, that i expected. The directors Cut release is improved though.
  6. Jan 20, 2013
    Some of the Greek mythological elements in "Troy" are inaccurate. Still, the visual scale of the film is amazing, as well as the performances by Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, and Orlando Bloom (just to name a few).
  7. Dec 18, 2012
    Seeing the Illiad recreated is quite enjoyable, but the movie just falls flat on as it doesn't transpire all the great qualities of the poem. It is just a lazy Hollywood movie that was made as a money machine for the producers.
  8. Nov 10, 2012
    The entire movie to me was just waiting through the terrible dialogue just to get to the action scenes. Very disapointing. I expected better, Especially with a movie like this.
  9. Nov 8, 2012
    A stunningly gripping study of ancient Greece that is well paced and has the right amounts of every characteristic required by this genre's law.
  10. Apr 12, 2012
    An excellent movie. Great cast, engaging plot and fantastic fight choreography. Above all, it's not just a hack-and-slash flick. There are actually some interesting themes and relationships explored here. The dynamic between Agamemnon and Achilles is particularly interesting. In the category of sword-and-sandal movies Troy is almost the equal of The Gladiator.
  11. Apr 12, 2012
    This movie could have been way better, but sadly the makers of this film didn't do their homework on the great trojan war. The main problem i have with this movie is that it isn't accurate to the real events of the trojan war, almost everything got mixed up, and things weren't were they were supposed to be. For instance, Ajax never died in combat like in the movie, in real life Ajax committed suicide, another one is that Agamemnon never died in Troy, but instead he was murdered in Greece, and so on and so forth, this film is filled with more of these mistakes. Expand
  12. Mar 31, 2012
    Extremely long, very boring and tried way too hard. The battle scenes weren't that great. Terrible acting to go around and a script that seem to be made by morons. Just like the Trojans were. Don't be fooled by the spectacle.
  13. Jan 29, 2012
    Troy features dazzling action, real life set pieces, and just powerful performances from Pitt, Kruger, Bloom and Bana; but sadly the film is completely emotionally dry and it most definitely suffers from that. I give this film 63%.
  14. Oct 18, 2011
    This movie is really underrated in my opinion. It is a great movie with amazing effects, stunning fight scenes and a fantastic storyline. Lot's of this film is based on true events too. Any Gladiator lover will adore this film. The location and set is great, it is well played by the actors and the director done a great job. I really recommend this movie. A fantastic epic that you need to have on your shelf. Expand
  15. Jan 15, 2011
    "Troy" is a terrific piece of entertainment. When it opened, I'll admit, my companion and I went solely to heap derision and abuse on it but we walked out smiling. It's pseudo-scholars, not scholars, who whine about deviations from Homer; scholars know that the Troy material has always been altered and adapted by artists, whether by ancient Greek dramatists, medieval poets, or modern historical novelists. I actually found the film acceptably Homeric, treating the Iliad's main conflict (Agamemnon's insult to Achilles and the resulting disasters), as well as many of its themes, (honor and dishonor in war, e.g.) and strategies (compression, e.g.). And the decision to take the gods out of the action was a good one; no filmmaker yet has managed to make them look anything but silly. The biggest surprise in the film is Brad Pitt's Achilles, which I expected to deplore and actually rather liked. He combines preternatural power and grace, pride, contempt and melancholy into a coherent whole, and, aside from wishing him genuinely berserk (not just p*ssed off) when he goes after Hector, I was impressed. The film has a lot of smart casting, especially Peter O'Toole, whose dignified, suffering Priam makes the fall of Troy searing, Brian Cox, his greedy, unprincipled counterpart on the Greek side, and Orlando Bloom as Paris (though it was hard to watch Bloom shoot arrows at human, rather than elf, speed). The only real weak spot is Diane Kruger's insipid Helen, but no actress has yet managed to convince as "the face that launched a thousand ships," and, yes, I'm including Elizabeth Taylor. They need an Aishwarya Rai: now there's a woman to start a war over. I also grew weary of self-reflexive portent in the dialogue ("They'll be talking about this war and the heroes who fought in it for thousands of years"). But the film has many more strengths, including naval and battle choreography, sets, costumes, and the infamous Trojan Horse, which was perfect. Expand
  16. Dec 19, 2010
    This movie was just dull. Bad acting,bad story, and bad score. The only reedeming thing was the action but that is not even good enough to save this movie.

1. A protracted and uninvolving affair in which men battle over issues that audiences may struggle to find compelling, and no central figure emerges to take command of the film.
    Troy lacks the focus of Gladiator, not to mention that Oscar winner's scrappy wit. But why kick a gift horse when you're in summer-movie heaven?
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    In this vigorous, stalwart epic, they blend martial breadth and emotional intimacy, honor and obsession, romance and machismo to show the glamour and folly of war.