7.2

1. Jan 11, 2015
    The only movie about Troy war that's actually realistic. No gods, no super powers, no **** Great movie, with depth and super-realistic CGI. Can't really find anything negative about this film except that it could be a bit longer. Enjoyed pretty much every minute of it.

Critics are in their own bubble, they look at movies from the directors perspective and that's why they're always wrong. Movies are nod made for directors but for the world.

Straight 10
  2. Jan 5, 2015
    So Achilles wanted his name to be remembered , but no Brad Pitt with is sensational acting and dialogue delivery made a new face in the history books as a demi-god,a hero in true sense.

The movie is fun to watch with all the actors playing their respective characters beautifully. Eric Bana ,Diane Kruger,Sean Bean,Brian Cox,Brendan Gleeson did great jobs. The direction

The direction ,cinematography,and specially the score is brilliant for a 2004 movie exciting,fast-paced,
    Epic.
  3. Sep 12, 2014
    Back in the day when I first saw this movie, I had eyes for Orlando Bloom and pretty much nothing else.

Today, I've seen my fair share of epic battle movies, and I don't think this reaches the sharpest point. The movie is entertaining enough. The battles are good, but not too drawn out. The motivation on all sides is well described and doesn't feel fake or forced: Paris and Helen

The movie is entertaining enough. The battles are good, but not too drawn out. The motivation on all sides is well described and doesn't feel fake or forced: Paris and Helen want each other, Helen's husband Menelaus goes for his power-hungry brother Agamemnon for help to restore his honor, and the conflict is ready.

To add to the mix we get our hero, a Myrmidon warrior Achilles (Brad Pitt), who has quite a reputation and who is ever hungry for more. His name will live forever, he will see to that.

Eric Bana is Hector, Paris' loving and honorable brother, whose mission it is to defend Troy when the battle arrives to their doorstep. I guess Bana (just like Pitt) used a couple of hours at the gym to bring their bodies to the condition we saw them in here. But enough of muscles!

The music of the movie is beautiful. We don't see a whole lot of scenery, but the set and clothes/armor look good enough.

Sean Bean does a small yet quite significant role as Odysseus. Brian Cox as Agamemnon is both amusing and convincing.

The movie has a lot in it, and yet it somehow just doesn't feel good enough. There are great men, great fights, and a good story, but in the end, this story is just slightly above average. Maybe it is the somewhat unnecessary romance (between Achilles and Briseis) that just doesn't feel like it should be there?

And one thing I do recall from history's pages somewhere: Achilles and Patroclos were lovers. Here, they are cousins... The love is there, though.
  4. Aug 17, 2014
    "Troy" is a great-looking epic, but lacks Iliad's spirituality and character depth. It is closer to Greek mythology than "300" or "Clash of the Titans", though, and more balanced, too. Its action sequences and impressive visuals are satisfying enough to enjoy it.
  5. Jun 21, 2014
    If you watch this movie with the understanding from the beginning that there are going to be no supernatural elements then this is a great film. When this first came out a few friends of mine were really upset that it didn't follow the Iliad very closely, because there was no gods and magic and living rivers or anything like that. I think it's fine to tell a version of the story withoutIf you watch this movie with the understanding from the beginning that there are going to be no supernatural elements then this is a great film. When this first came out a few friends of mine were really upset that it didn't follow the Iliad very closely, because there was no gods and magic and living rivers or anything like that. I think it's fine to tell a version of the story without any magic to it. There's still interesting characters, and good fighting. If you like "battle movies" like Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, this is a movie you should see. Expand
  6. Jun 13, 2013
    A lot of people are foggy enough about the battle of Troy’s origins to confuse the story laid out in the “Iliad” with history. I’m sure you’ll hear more than one movie-goer comment on the film’s historical accuracy. Last night I heard at least two. But, like Hidalgo, The Passion, or maybe more like Harry Potter, Troy is another ambitious adaptation that only manages as solid entertainment.A lot of people are foggy enough about the battle of Troy’s origins to confuse the story laid out in the “Iliad” with history. I’m sure you’ll hear more than one movie-goer comment on the film’s historical accuracy. Last night I heard at least two. But, like Hidalgo, The Passion, or maybe more like Harry Potter, Troy is another ambitious adaptation that only manages as solid entertainment. The idea of taking Homer’s battle poem and turning it into a movie is a good one, since it instantly leans towards the epic and contains plenty of notable and screen worthy characters. It’s also a story strongly ingrained in our cultural consciousness, after centuries of required classroom reading. It has already received some comparison to Gladiator, but where that movie was a surely modern fighting flick, the story of Troy lends itself much more to Hollywood’s golden age, the sort of thing that would have attracted a younger Chuck Heston. As Achilles, Brad Pitt is either naked or fighting. There’s no in between. Achilles is a guy who only wears clothes when he’s killing. I'm not sure what that says about his character. But don’t worry guys, it isn’t real Pitt nudity, just side-nudity. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much side-nudity in any film. I now know every intimate inch of Brad Pitt’s naked profile. Troy lacks the courage to show full frontal or even a little bit of ass crack. Odd for any other R-rated movie, but not really for this one which only barelyshows enough carnage to warrant a rated R. It could easily have slipped by as PG-13 and one has to wonder why they bothered at all with an R when the removal of even a thimble-full of blood could have garnered them something lesser. If you’re going to go R, make it worthwhile. Don’t be afraid of women’s breasts. Don’t run away from realistic battle sequences. Hey, throw in a couple of decapitations! This is war, not West Side Story. What the film’s massive battle sequences sometimes lack in ugly realism is made only worse by Director Wolfgang Petersen’s strange propensity to focus in on one on one battles to the exclusion of all else. A hundred-thousand men clash on the field of battle, yet everything falls silent as soldiers form a big school-yard huddle whenever Hector picks up his sword. Should he dispatch a particularly difficult foe, he mutters “that’s enough” and all one-hundred thousand men just seem to wander home. Maybe I’ve been permanently spoiled by Peter Jackson’s groundbreaking siege in The Two Towers, but Troy’s bigger and supposedly badder battles just can’t compare. Troy fails to garner any excitement from its massive scale, but Petersen does have an amazing gift for filming one on one action. The final big battle between Achilles and Hector is engrossing and amazing. That’s due in no small part to both Pitt and Bana’s impressive performances, in which both brilliantly capture the physicality of their respective characters. Still, it is impossible to walk away from Troy completely unsatisfied. Despite some major directing flaws, Petersen does deliver an enjoyably huge (if a little too long) period adventure. Women will no doubt swoon at the legions of male characters clad in thigh revealing leather costumes. Men will go insane over Achilles kicking ass against anything and everything that moves. Troy is big, grandiose, and entertaining. With such a marvelous cast, I wish Petersen had delivered a masterpiece, but I’ll settle for some solid sandal-wearing fun. Expand
  7. Mar 14, 2013
    Not that Blockbuster, that i expected. The directors Cut release is improved though.
  8. Jan 20, 2013
    Some of the Greek mythological elements in "Troy" are inaccurate. Still, the visual scale of the film is amazing, as well as the performances by Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, and Orlando Bloom (just to name a few).
  9. Dec 18, 2012
    Seeing the Illiad recreated is quite enjoyable, but the movie just falls flat on as it doesn't transpire all the great qualities of the poem. It is just a lazy Hollywood movie that was made as a money machine for the producers.
  10. Nov 10, 2012
    The entire movie to me was just waiting through the terrible dialogue just to get to the action scenes. Very disapointing. I expected better, Especially with a movie like this.
  11. Nov 8, 2012
    A stunningly gripping study of ancient Greece that is well paced and has the right amounts of every characteristic required by this genre's law.
  12. Apr 12, 2012
    An excellent movie. Great cast, engaging plot and fantastic fight choreography. Above all, it's not just a hack-and-slash flick. There are actually some interesting themes and relationships explored here. The dynamic between Agamemnon and Achilles is particularly interesting. In the category of sword-and-sandal movies Troy is almost the equal of The Gladiator.
  13. Apr 12, 2012
    This movie could have been way better, but sadly the makers of this film didn't do their homework on the great trojan war. The main problem i have with this movie is that it isn't accurate to the real events of the trojan war, almost everything got mixed up, and things weren't were they were supposed to be. For instance, Ajax never died in combat like in the movie, in real life AjaxThis movie could have been way better, but sadly the makers of this film didn't do their homework on the great trojan war. The main problem i have with this movie is that it isn't accurate to the real events of the trojan war, almost everything got mixed up, and things weren't were they were supposed to be. For instance, Ajax never died in combat like in the movie, in real life Ajax committed suicide, another one is that Agamemnon never died in Troy, but instead he was murdered in Greece, and so on and so forth, this film is filled with more of these mistakes. Expand
  14. Mar 31, 2012
    Extremely long, very boring and tried way too hard. The battle scenes weren't that great. Terrible acting to go around and a script that seem to be made by morons. Just like the Trojans were. Don't be fooled by the spectacle.
  15. Jan 29, 2012
    Troy features dazzling action, real life set pieces, and just powerful performances from Pitt, Kruger, Bloom and Bana; but sadly the film is completely emotionally dry and it most definitely suffers from that. I give this film 63%.
  16. Oct 18, 2011
    This movie is really underrated in my opinion. It is a great movie with amazing effects, stunning fight scenes and a fantastic storyline. Lot's of this film is based on true events too. Any Gladiator lover will adore this film. The location and set is great, it is well played by the actors and the director done a great job. I really recommend this movie. A fantastic epic that you need toThis movie is really underrated in my opinion. It is a great movie with amazing effects, stunning fight scenes and a fantastic storyline. Lot's of this film is based on true events too. Any Gladiator lover will adore this film. The location and set is great, it is well played by the actors and the director done a great job. I really recommend this movie. A fantastic epic that you need to have on your shelf. Expand
  17. Jan 15, 2011
    "Troy" is a terrific piece of entertainment. When it opened, I'll admit, my companion and I went solely to heap derision and abuse on it but we walked out smiling. It's pseudo-scholars, not scholars, who whine about deviations from Homer; scholars know that the Troy material has always been altered and adapted by artists, whether by ancient Greek dramatists, medieval poets, or modern"Troy" is a terrific piece of entertainment. When it opened, I'll admit, my companion and I went solely to heap derision and abuse on it but we walked out smiling. It's pseudo-scholars, not scholars, who whine about deviations from Homer; scholars know that the Troy material has always been altered and adapted by artists, whether by ancient Greek dramatists, medieval poets, or modern historical novelists. I actually found the film acceptably Homeric, treating the Iliad's main conflict (Agamemnon's insult to Achilles and the resulting disasters), as well as many of its themes, (honor and dishonor in war, e.g.) and strategies (compression, e.g.). And the decision to take the gods out of the action was a good one; no filmmaker yet has managed to make them look anything but silly. The biggest surprise in the film is Brad Pitt's Achilles, which I expected to deplore and actually rather liked. He combines preternatural power and grace, pride, contempt and melancholy into a coherent whole, and, aside from wishing him genuinely berserk (not just p*ssed off) when he goes after Hector, I was impressed. The film has a lot of smart casting, especially Peter O'Toole, whose dignified, suffering Priam makes the fall of Troy searing, Brian Cox, his greedy, unprincipled counterpart on the Greek side, and Orlando Bloom as Paris (though it was hard to watch Bloom shoot arrows at human, rather than elf, speed). The only real weak spot is Diane Kruger's insipid Helen, but no actress has yet managed to convince as "the face that launched a thousand ships," and, yes, I'm including Elizabeth Taylor. They need an Aishwarya Rai: now there's a woman to start a war over. I also grew weary of self-reflexive portent in the dialogue ("They'll be talking about this war and the heroes who fought in it for thousands of years"). But the film has many more strengths, including naval and battle choreography, sets, costumes, and the infamous Trojan Horse, which was perfect. Expand
  18. Dec 19, 2010
    This movie was just dull. Bad acting,bad story, and bad score. The only reedeming thing was the action but that is not even good enough to save this movie.
  19. KhristianR.
    Oct 1, 2008
    I remember getting free tickets for this film and I came out so disappointed. Its seems so full of itself and its done in a bad carry on Troying way. The death scenes seem to be hammed up and the eptiomy of how cheesy this film is when Brad Pitt says "Take it, its yours". I like epic war films, histroical war films. This is bloody awful, and I think it only made money because of the I remember getting free tickets for this film and I came out so disappointed. Its seems so full of itself and its done in a bad carry on Troying way. The death scenes seem to be hammed up and the eptiomy of how cheesy this film is when Brad Pitt says "Take it, its yours". I like epic war films, histroical war films. This is bloody awful, and I think it only made money because of the stature of certain actors. Gladiator and Braveheart are brilliant, this one is the complete opposite. The only reason it gets a 3 is because of some of the designs..and thats about it. Expand
  20. ChristineM.
    Jun 26, 2007
    I don't normally do reviews like this but I figured I would do one for this movie. I think a big problem a lot of people had with this movie was that it wasn't strict Iliad. This is true, but you have to remember, this is a movie and it is impossible to drag what was recorded as a ten year war, I believe, out on screen. You have to condense it. In that fact, I think this was I don't normally do reviews like this but I figured I would do one for this movie. I think a big problem a lot of people had with this movie was that it wasn't strict Iliad. This is true, but you have to remember, this is a movie and it is impossible to drag what was recorded as a ten year war, I believe, out on screen. You have to condense it. In that fact, I think this was done rather well in Troy. The battle scenes were done well even if they were computerized. Many movies do that nowadays because after all you can't higher 50,000 extras. As for the casting: Brian Cox and Brendan Gleeson did amazing jobs as the protagonists in this movie. Peter O'Toole was a delight to see and especially moving in the scene with Pitt. Sean Bean filled the role of Odysseus to a T, though I would have liked to of seen his character more often. Orlando Bloom did a fair job of playing Paris, after in my mind I felt they were not trying to get you to sympathize with Paris for bringing about the destruction of his own family and city. I have to say that the casting of Helen with Diane Kruger was poor. She just did not fill the role of "The Face that launched a 1000 ships." I felt her acting was a bit flat. Eric Bana was by far one of the best things about this movie. He grounded the character of Hector and you see the conflict he has with his loyalty to Troy and to his family. Bana pulled this off with class. Brad Pitt was, in my opinion, at his best since Legends of the Fall. Give the guy some slack, he has to play this almost godlike, most of the time emotionless character. In the scene with O'Toole he held his own quite well. Up and coming actress Rose Bryne did an amazing job with the role she had. Her character was actually a combination of a few of the women in the Iliad. Again she manages to hold her own in scenes with the likes of Brad Pitt and Brian Cox. A tough task for a newbie. Garrent Hedlund and Vincent Regan both did well with the roles of Patrocleus and Eudorus. Though I felt Hedlund's performance came off as a bit whiny. The flow of the story does drag in places but I think that happens in alot of movies. I do recommend this movie but not for strict Homer fans. What I loved most about this movie is that it highlights flaws in the human condition and almost warns the audience that everything action we take can lead to our own downfall. Expand
  21. HagarD.
    Jan 18, 2007
    This movie is bad. I read the book and the real story is way better. Brad pitt is the worst actor.
  22. FredBob
    Oct 18, 2006
    Pitt was brilliant. He sold the movie for me. Achilles is bad a$$.
  23. AndrewT.
    Sep 16, 2006
    A interesting movie, now without its flaws, but very watchable especially for anyone that is interested in the Iliad and ancient Greek mythology. Although not strictly faithful to Homer, many of the characters and themes are accurately portrayed. Brad Pitt's character of the god-like Achilles is very powerful; it is unusual to see a role like this so finely drawn, not as a cartoon, A interesting movie, now without its flaws, but very watchable especially for anyone that is interested in the Iliad and ancient Greek mythology. Although not strictly faithful to Homer, many of the characters and themes are accurately portrayed. Brad Pitt's character of the god-like Achilles is very powerful; it is unusual to see a role like this so finely drawn, not as a cartoon, but with the full range of emotions (although Pitt's rendering occasionally was a little emotionally flat). Overall, I recommend the movie; I have to admit that despite my reservations I have seen the move 4 times. Expand
  24. DiosaM.
    Aug 31, 2006
    i think troy is such an excellent movie.it is maybe not perfect but come think of it, its inperpection makes it perpect.so far besides gladiator and odyssey ,this troy has made me cry.i think they should watch it.it is realy good.it exceeded my expectations. if they have read iliad they'll realy apreaciate this movie. it even will widen ur knowledge. for me it seems that the great i think troy is such an excellent movie.it is maybe not perfect but come think of it, its inperpection makes it perpect.so far besides gladiator and odyssey ,this troy has made me cry.i think they should watch it.it is realy good.it exceeded my expectations. if they have read iliad they'll realy apreaciate this movie. it even will widen ur knowledge. for me it seems that the great written by homer comes to life. Expand
  25. RDalvi
    Apr 23, 2006
    It is not just an insane war film. It has an emotional pull too. Just see the scene where O'Toole visits Pitt. Brilliant performances and good direction. Is just a tad bit too violent.
  26. CrtitcGal
    Jan 25, 2006
    its a great action movie for someone who doesnt know the epic. if you know the story, the movie kind of ruins it, on a count of the movie doesnt follow the story at all. it has its similarities yes, although, the facts are all wrong. I was absolutly inlove with the movie until I came across illiad. although, I have to upmost respect for the director, and actors. It was beautifly its a great action movie for someone who doesnt know the epic. if you know the story, the movie kind of ruins it, on a count of the movie doesnt follow the story at all. it has its similarities yes, although, the facts are all wrong. I was absolutly inlove with the movie until I came across illiad. although, I have to upmost respect for the director, and actors. It was beautifly portrayed, and again, if you dont know the story go see it! If you do save your self from your own dissapointment! Expand
  27. YeraldinE.
    Nov 3, 2005
    This movie was awesome, I think archilles is the greatest heros of greece of all time; Brat Pitt didn't a excellent job, he looked amazing in this movie. The story was great. This movie was romance, action and hot guy all in one. This is my favorite of all times #1 if you vote 1-9 you don't know what are you talking about.
  28. TatianaM.
    Oct 27, 2005
    This movie has its share of flaws for sure : the ending is rushed, Achilles' love story is awkwardly done, Peter O'Toole looks like he's been poleaxed half the time and the actress who plays Andromache annoyed me mightily. But despite all that (and some other things that I didn't mention), the core story - Homer's story, altered as it is - is so strong, that it This movie has its share of flaws for sure : the ending is rushed, Achilles' love story is awkwardly done, Peter O'Toole looks like he's been poleaxed half the time and the actress who plays Andromache annoyed me mightily. But despite all that (and some other things that I didn't mention), the core story - Homer's story, altered as it is - is so strong, that it carries the movie effortlessly through all its considerable length. The plot is flowing, the characters are recognizable and actions have consequences - that, for me is the best achievement of this movie. That, and Brad Pitt - maybe I'm a little biased, because I had a crush on Achilles since I was 11, but i thought that Pitt was brilliant in the part. The vanity, the tenderness, the arrogance, the mood swings - it was all there for all to see. Poor doomed golden boy... sniff. All the others were adequate to good, with 2 aforementioned exceptions. Good movie, which for all its glamour, does provide a cirious meditations on human condition: actions have consequences. Men a wretched things. On every war, you kill your brothers, and it will never end. Expand
  29. josephp.
    Sep 21, 2005
    These critics are all idiots! If you don't want to see an action packed movie, go somewhere and read a book. This film rocked! There was a lot of action and fight scenes...but it should have been more gory. This would be ideal for a extended collectors edition. Additional footage a must. Extend the beach battle,battle at Troys wall,battles while Troy was under seige,more Achillies These critics are all idiots! If you don't want to see an action packed movie, go somewhere and read a book. This film rocked! There was a lot of action and fight scenes...but it should have been more gory. This would be ideal for a extended collectors edition. Additional footage a must. Extend the beach battle,battle at Troys wall,battles while Troy was under seige,more Achillies fights,more Ajax fights,more Hector fights,and please more Oddyseus fights. Look at the gore of Braveheart and implement it into extended addition. It would be a movie to die for. Expand
  30. PatC.
    Sep 6, 2005
    Iliad Lite. Just too much of a Hollywood feel. Lavish but pointless.
  31. CliffM
    Aug 7, 2005
    Troy is an outstanding portrayal of Homer's epic even with major deviations from the original Iliad. Captures timeless issues related to diverse reasons soldiers go to war, their loyalties, and the impact on their loved ones. Brad Pitt excellently shows Achilles' transition from empty self-absorption to humanity, and Eric Bana is outstanding as noble Hector. All supporting cast Troy is an outstanding portrayal of Homer's epic even with major deviations from the original Iliad. Captures timeless issues related to diverse reasons soldiers go to war, their loyalties, and the impact on their loved ones. Brad Pitt excellently shows Achilles' transition from empty self-absorption to humanity, and Eric Bana is outstanding as noble Hector. All supporting cast are exceptional. Shows the greatest individual battle scene ever (Achilles v. Hector) which is emotionally tied to the reactions of Hector's loved ones. The moving scene with Achilles and Priam alone is worth seeing this extraordinary film. An epic - one of the best movies of this genre. I saw this movie several times and at each showing the audience seemed gripped by the intensity. Expand
  32. StephanieT.
    Jun 30, 2005
    A great movie.
    Jun 10, 2005
    Delivers in the action department, but it's just another IIliad redo that only slightly better than historical documentaries. Hector is well played, and some human qualities are brought out of that character. Paris is reduced to some cowardly wuss, though, and Helen's sentimentality is quite the annoyance when contrast with how much everyone suffers for her. Achillis is decently Delivers in the action department, but it's just another IIliad redo that only slightly better than historical documentaries. Hector is well played, and some human qualities are brought out of that character. Paris is reduced to some cowardly wuss, though, and Helen's sentimentality is quite the annoyance when contrast with how much everyone suffers for her. Achillis is decently played, and represents a bit of moral order amongst a pretty immoral Greek army, thanks in most part to Agamemmnon. A good, but not great watch. Not a bad pick at all, but there are more resonating, involving movies in this genre. Expand
  34. djrooker
    May 16, 2005
    What a waste of time! g*d d**m oliver stone! and i had come to count on him for at least two hours of solid entertainment, if nothing else. now what...?
  35. groundfisher
    May 14, 2005
    I was pleasantly surprised. If you want some light entertainment and you quite enjoy fast-paced action films, then Troy fits the bill. Don't expect a great cinematic epic. Troy doesn't even try to be. Some disappointed people were expecting 'Troy' (Troy!) to be a historical drama! Priceless.
  36. KarenM.
    Apr 18, 2005
    This director should bury his head and Brad Pitt can join him. I am a great Brad Pitt fan but this was his worst performance, by far. Thank heaven for Peter O'Toole. I could bearly watch this epic until the end. Costumes & sets were good.
  37. Sababy:)
    Apr 7, 2005
    What a poor poor excuse for a historical film. My god, the only thing they got right was the dang horse, and thats about it. and since when do greeks have an english accent? gimme a break.
  38. JoeyBoy
    Mar 21, 2005
    Not worst, but it was really bad.
  39. TMo
    Feb 16, 2005
    Absolutely the worst of its kind. i went to see it with about 10 people, and we all saw through the digitization to the piece of crap core. script obviously fell out of some one's behind, and carried out by the actors as if they knew it. i just wanted it to end. i want my life back.
  40. MichaelB.
    Feb 16, 2005
    If you can forget the fact that Agamemnon and Memlaus survived the war, that the siege lasted 10 years (and not one month), and that Achilles was only one of the main threads of the story, this is a cool-looking, more than workmanlike effort by all involved. The absence of all the gods (except Thetis, Achilles' mother) does let us focus on the human characters, and the sense that If you can forget the fact that Agamemnon and Memlaus survived the war, that the siege lasted 10 years (and not one month), and that Achilles was only one of the main threads of the story, this is a cool-looking, more than workmanlike effort by all involved. The absence of all the gods (except Thetis, Achilles' mother) does let us focus on the human characters, and the sense that various gods are interfering is voiced only by Priam. Nice touch to include Aeneas. I'd like to see this team tackle the Aeneid. Expand
  41. BobC.
    Feb 13, 2005
    What is it with these critics? Have they seen so many movies that they can't recognize a good movie. "Troy" is never dull, boring, or slow paced. I thought Brad Pitt did a great job. Why do the critics have to analyze a movie and just tell us if it is worth watching or not. "Troy" especially is. Remember what the critics said about "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Somebody should have a What is it with these critics? Have they seen so many movies that they can't recognize a good movie. "Troy" is never dull, boring, or slow paced. I thought Brad Pitt did a great job. Why do the critics have to analyze a movie and just tell us if it is worth watching or not. "Troy" especially is. Remember what the critics said about "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Somebody should have a critic list of the critics. Expand
  42. Dana
    Jan 31, 2005
    No one has a right to judge this movie until they have studied or read the Iliad. This movie follows Homers words almost exactly, I actually found myself saying the next lines in some of the scenes. I felt it was very well done. It was not just another Hollywood movie trying to make some money, time and thought actually went into making this movie.
  43. VictoriaS
    Jan 29, 2005
    Clearly not meeting up to anyone's expectations.
  44. mel
    Jan 28, 2005
    I liked this film. while it had some sloggy moments, it was visually beautiful and the dialogue was better than most of today's attempts to big, splashy films like this. liked the cast -- love peter o'toole (great to see him), pitt was better on the eyes-- could have stood to simply turn off the sound and watch this boy work--eric banos was beyond gorgeous-- and yes, girls, he I liked this film. while it had some sloggy moments, it was visually beautiful and the dialogue was better than most of today's attempts to big, splashy films like this. liked the cast -- love peter o'toole (great to see him), pitt was better on the eyes-- could have stood to simply turn off the sound and watch this boy work--eric banos was beyond gorgeous-- and yes, girls, he looked better than pitt. didn't care ANYTHING for the woman who was cast to play the most beautiful woman in the world (Helen) --she was a bad actress and she was only mildly pretty. as a matter of fact, had they switched and cast Saffron Burrows as Helen rather than Andromeche, wife of Eric Banos' Prince Hector) it would have been more believable. She was breathtaking -- the pacing fluctuated a bit, thought they could have done a better job on the overall LOOK of the film, but I give it an 8 out of 10 because it held my attention. Pitt was beautiful, and the story is one that can be told again and again. Expand
  45. BeckH
    Jan 28, 2005
    If looked at from the view that it's based on a Great ancient epic... It's compleatly inaccurate except for vauge refences to characters and plot sequences. From the view of an independant film, it's hollow and the only thing that makes it worth seeing is the turn around that it has eye candy (in the form of nakedness) for the girls for a change.
  46. armandos.
    Jan 24, 2005
    Brad Pitt is one of the weakest actors in this flick-however does fit the part physically-good action -a bit overlong-not very accurate historically but most will not care.
  47. MegM.
    Jan 23, 2005
    I loved it.
  48. PonR
    Jan 16, 2005
    Would've been a classic...if it had come before every other movie of its genre. Yes, it was everything I expected, and in that sense, it was an okay movie. And I don't say okay lightly. But therein lies the problem. Epics like this should exceed your expectations. Not just okay, not just good, but great. And that's why "Troy-2004" will be forgotten.
  49. BenM.
    Jan 16, 2005
    I watched this movie expecting to be disappointed. I wasn't. No it's not the Iliad; nor should it be. The dichotomy between Hector's honor and integrity and Pitt's egotistical moodiness is compelling enough without the interjection of the gods. The file was well shot, well-directed, and well written. I even thought it was well-acted. Much of the criticism was for the I watched this movie expecting to be disappointed. I wasn't. No it's not the Iliad; nor should it be. The dichotomy between Hector's honor and integrity and Pitt's egotistical moodiness is compelling enough without the interjection of the gods. The file was well shot, well-directed, and well written. I even thought it was well-acted. Much of the criticism was for the choices of Pitt and Bloom; however, they acted the roles of their characters. If you didn't like the character's then you should not blame the acting. I also found Bean's Odysseus compelling, but under utilized at times. Distracting was the subplot of the slave girl/princess and the death of Agamemnon. Overall recommended if you can let go of literally purism and enjoy a well-made epic. Expand
  50. Chris
    Jan 14, 2005
    Troy succeeds in it's basic intention to entertain as a popcorn bucket movie with bombastic battle sequences, bare arses and over the top thrills. Eric Bana is excellent as Hector , protector of Troy but Pitt seems a little miscasted as he is not quite believable when delivering his lines...no doubt he was cast for his ability to deliver female viewers...
  51. paul
    Jan 8, 2005
    Great action, dialogue, beautiful scenery, some great acting by o'toole, only slightly corny and a little too long.
  52. yoonc.
    Jan 7, 2005
    Dreary and bloated, a beached whale of a movie... what was peterson--of das boot and in the line of fire--thinking? actors are either handsome pretty boys or cartoonishly gruff old men(someone give o'toole a drink). helen comes across as a mannequin. another woman looks like elaine on seinfeld--with none of the humor. the movie trumps the mythic aspects of trojan war not to dig for Dreary and bloated, a beached whale of a movie... what was peterson--of das boot and in the line of fire--thinking? actors are either handsome pretty boys or cartoonishly gruff old men(someone give o'toole a drink). helen comes across as a mannequin. another woman looks like elaine on seinfeld--with none of the humor. the movie trumps the mythic aspects of trojan war not to dig for historical truth but to trump up every cliche of the historical spectacle dreamfactory--expect 'homages' to everything as old as 'alexander nevsky' to something as recent as saving private ryan(especially the beach landing scene) and the awful LOR movies. script is atrocious, art design is standard, CGI is cluttered. still, the state of cinema being what it is, it's still above average. Expand
  53. Andaraoas
    Dec 26, 2004
    Great picture.
  54. IlzeS.
    Dec 18, 2004
    Very good movie! Not perfect, but really good. This is one of the best movies this year. I think that Brad Pitt & Eric Bana was great. Very funny, the movie was great.
  55. maxx.
    Dec 11, 2004
    All of it is one big mistake the film untrue it did not even have good fx. every greek should cry for their history has been altered so much. i know i would if i was greek.
  56. Johan
    Dec 6, 2004
    Great picture and the best epic in years. (Excluding LOTR). Awesome actors in Eric Bana, Brad Pitt, Brian Cox and of course the legend himself, Peter O'Toole. Even Orlando Bloom gave his best preformance ever ( how good that now is). Great battle scenes and one on one duels.
  57. KatrinaB.
    Oct 26, 2004
    This movie was awesome!!! Some parts were a little bit not for my age, but in the whole it was good.
  58. MichaelM.
    Oct 22, 2004
    It's no "Gladiator", but it's a pretty kick ass action epic. The special effects and overall design of the film is breathtaking. The directing is top-notch and the writing flows well. But the acting is kind of a split. Brad Pitt does an okay job as Achilles (I think they could have found a better person for the role). Orlando Bloom doesn't really impress as Paris, but Eric It's no "Gladiator", but it's a pretty kick ass action epic. The special effects and overall design of the film is breathtaking. The directing is top-notch and the writing flows well. But the acting is kind of a split. Brad Pitt does an okay job as Achilles (I think they could have found a better person for the role). Orlando Bloom doesn't really impress as Paris, but Eric Bana is the best out of the three young stars as Hector. Peter O'Toole is great as always and so is Brendan Gleeson (28 Days Later, Lake Placid). Brian Cox (L.I.E., The Ring) is extraordinary as the Spartan king Agamemnon. Troy is definetly worth the trip to theater on merit of everything else besides the acting. I hope Oliver Stone's upcoming "Alexander" is as good or better. Expand
  59. DarkenD.
    Sep 15, 2004
    I can't believe there were so many negative review here, so I have to put my up. Bad reviews is no problem, but damn, most of you critic on the wrong aspect. First, this is a film, it is not a book, so don't go compare it to the book its base on. Once made it to the film, expect some change. Just because the movies title was Troy, don't expect the movies about Troy, not I can't believe there were so many negative review here, so I have to put my up. Bad reviews is no problem, but damn, most of you critic on the wrong aspect. First, this is a film, it is not a book, so don't go compare it to the book its base on. Once made it to the film, expect some change. Just because the movies title was Troy, don't expect the movies about Troy, not completely anyway. I agree with the rest of you on two thing, Bloom suck, the sun rise (lol, Efe pointed this out.) But if you notice throughout the movie, Pit as Achilles was on screen alot. Why? its because the movies is about Achilles, not Troy. The film is about Achilles's role in the battle with Troy, not Troy itself. Expand
  60. ShaziaA
    Aug 30, 2004
    The only thing keeping this movie afloat, other than the veterans (but is that a surprise), was Eric Bana. I cannot believe that beforehand, people thought he would drag the movie down because of his role in the Hulk. Orlando Bloom did not have much to do thankfully and Brad Pitt was miscast. How the producers of this movie could pay him $17 million is beyond me. Throwing in a love story The only thing keeping this movie afloat, other than the veterans (but is that a surprise), was Eric Bana. I cannot believe that beforehand, people thought he would drag the movie down because of his role in the Hulk. Orlando Bloom did not have much to do thankfully and Brad Pitt was miscast. How the producers of this movie could pay him $17 million is beyond me. Throwing in a love story to make him sympathetic to the audience did not work either. He should have gone in for the role of Hector, seeing as how he could pass for Peter O'Toole's son. Eric Bana, even though he's not blonde, could have been Achilles since he can be dangerous and murderous when he needs to (see Chopper). And then this could have stayed closer to the source material and the movie need not have had so many plotholes (Titanic-style ending, cheesy speech about getting peace in a lifetime of war). Come on Brad, you're a good actor but you did not have the gravitas for this. Expand
  61. JohnK.
    Aug 29, 2004
    Historians are sharply divided on the question of whether or not the Trojan War actually occurred - and if it did, which archaeological site is actually Troy. Discoveries made at the beginning of the 21st century provide new evidence of several armed battles in the right area at the right time - but definitive proof is hard to find, due largely to the historical practice of constructing Historians are sharply divided on the question of whether or not the Trojan War actually occurred - and if it did, which archaeological site is actually Troy. Discoveries made at the beginning of the 21st century provide new evidence of several armed battles in the right area at the right time - but definitive proof is hard to find, due largely to the historical practice of constructing one city on the ruins of another. Homer's Illiad (and other similar epics depicting the Trojan War) were written hundreds of years after the Trojan War supposedly occurred, and are of little use in determining factual historical events as they included many mythological elements: gods such as Apollo, Zeus, and Hera were central characters in the story who drastically affected the course of the war by killing and/or saving individual people during the conflict. The producers' decision to eliminate all mythological elements from the story gives their film an air of historical authenticity not present in the original works. One of the best epics in decades. Expand
  62. ChadS.
    Aug 15, 2004
    Quite often, the dialogue sounds like it was spit out by a computer program, forcing actors like Peter O'Toole to deliver lines so timeworn, even a pre-pubescent writing his first play would know better. Priam (O'Toole) actually tells Hector (Eric Bana), "A father couldn't ask for a better son," before his eldest son does battle with Achilles (Brad Pitt). "Troy" has the Quite often, the dialogue sounds like it was spit out by a computer program, forcing actors like Peter O'Toole to deliver lines so timeworn, even a pre-pubescent writing his first play would know better. Priam (O'Toole) actually tells Hector (Eric Bana), "A father couldn't ask for a better son," before his eldest son does battle with Achilles (Brad Pitt). "Troy" has the distinction of being alternately, cheesy and rousing, and sometimes, simultaneously. Give O'Toole credit for keeping it together when Orlando Bloom (Paris) describes Helen( Diana Krueger) as being precious to him like "every blade of grass...and every grain of sand." We know what film informs "Troy"('s) action scenes, but that doesn't mean it's any less exciting. You've gotta love the crane shot. Without having read Homer's "The Iliad", it's quite obvious to me that "Troy" is a loose adaptation, but given the nearly three hour-running time; a story that a child could understand, is infinitely preferable to a story that's inpenetrable. "Troy" creates too many opportunities for unintentional laughter, but it doesn't wholly doom this Roman lark, because Pitt doesn't get the lion's share of bad dialogue. We more or less take him seriously as Achilles. Expand
  63. GarthK.
    Jul 31, 2004
    Well, I enjoyed the movie, and I think the very critical remarks reflect an excessively negative attitude--complaining for the sake of complaining perhaps. Take it easy and enjoy yourself, for heaven's sake! There was very reasonable development, in the simplistic way possible on screen, of major characters each laden with some type of weakness or flaw combined with a strength. Well, I enjoyed the movie, and I think the very critical remarks reflect an excessively negative attitude--complaining for the sake of complaining perhaps. Take it easy and enjoy yourself, for heaven's sake! There was very reasonable development, in the simplistic way possible on screen, of major characters each laden with some type of weakness or flaw combined with a strength. Themes of questioning human motivation, individual vs. collective morality, love vs. naive or even selfish recklessness, the male tendency to greed and warfare, etc. all laid out. Perhaps not laid out as in a literary masterpeice, but I don't think it's fair to expect that. It is reasonable to expect many people to actually pick up a copy of Homer because of their interest piqued from watching this movie, which is a great thing. Expand
  64. EfeB.
    Jul 30, 2004
    Wolfgang petersen who did das boot and perfect storm does troy and keeps his journey down the ladder a constant one. usually directors get better with age and experience but mr. petersen not only does poorer but picks harder projects to direct as he goes. i salute his courage. but thats all i salute. brad pitt. what a name. unlike the myth achilies, he is real...and very close to the Wolfgang petersen who did das boot and perfect storm does troy and keeps his journey down the ladder a constant one. usually directors get better with age and experience but mr. petersen not only does poorer but picks harder projects to direct as he goes. i salute his courage. but thats all i salute. brad pitt. what a name. unlike the myth achilies, he is real...and very close to the camera...92 percent of the film! i have seen his face so much, i can sculpt his handsome face from clay, blind folded. thankfully for him, god worked on him eyes wide open.knowing perhaps one day, he will be on screen and a nightmare for all ugy american teenager boys with no self confidence and a wallpaper for all highschool girls. but i don't think god nor anyone else besides petersen's casting team thought of him as achilies. it is apparent in pitt's eyes, he also doesn't believe he is a mythic hero. and why is it that killing a phone book full of people is called being a "hero" is beyond me. peter o'toole enters the film with great class and caries most of the scenes with his unquestionable presence. with his buddy richard harris allready parted this earth, one cannot help but think when peter o 'toole will leave us to a world filled with young and bad actors, i hope not soon. the troy wars lasted for many years, but in this movie they make it seem like it was an afternoon picnic. since usually sun rises from the east, why do we see the sunrise from the turkish shores looking at west towards greece? ahh...because this is a "film" and huge fleets of wooden ships look splendid with the sun rays behind them. if they cannot get a gigantic element like the SUN correct, how are we expected to believe the rest of the story? orlando bloom has obviously studied theatre acting, because he is the only one mimicing his face and speaking the loudest of all. also, he looks just like legolas doesn't he?...not just looks but acts too. petersen could have gotten some extra lord of the rings clips from peter jackson and stuck those footages in troy, would have been the same effect as hiring him for gagilion million dolars. the film, boring. more fight scenes needed. because thats what this film is, just doesnt have enough. how can you have less of what you have?...its called troy. Expand
  65. KelR.
    Jul 21, 2004
    I really liked this movie, not because of the actors or how it was done but because I love movies done about epic battles of the past. It stems from the fact that Troy was an actual place and there was an actual conflict there that perhaps shaped the history of Europe permenantly. If you enjoy these kind of grand scale epic movies than you'll love Troy.
  66. Todd
    Jul 16, 2004
    An unbelivable waste of time. Story is faithful to the greek epic as far as I can tell. But there's nothing epic about using the current trend of giant computerized conflicts when the conflicts themselves are brief and perfectly boring. Also, for all the movie's attempted brutal realism in its fights, it has the audacity to have condescendingly tame love scenes, when sex is such An unbelivable waste of time. Story is faithful to the greek epic as far as I can tell. But there's nothing epic about using the current trend of giant computerized conflicts when the conflicts themselves are brief and perfectly boring. Also, for all the movie's attempted brutal realism in its fights, it has the audacity to have condescendingly tame love scenes, when sex is such a large part of greek culture. The modifications on the dialogue to appeal to the masses also ends with sappy, cheesy, and most often just boring filler between fights. Acting is passable at best, with horrid performances from Orlando Bloom and Brad Pitt. Worth neither the price of ticket nor the 3 hours of your life (the disgusting length could warrant an essay in and of itself). It would be a shame for this movie to make money. If your still reading this, please don't see Troy. Expand
  67. Dxo
    Jul 15, 2004
    There's only 2 words for this movie - disgustingly pretentious. Peterson and the scriptwriters try TOO HARD to make this an epic, and unfortunately fall flat on their faces. Every single dialogue sounds so forced and pretentious, and so desperate to inspire that im totally put off. It wants to be an epic version of Gladiator but fails miserably. Also, the constant flashin of There's only 2 words for this movie - disgustingly pretentious. Peterson and the scriptwriters try TOO HARD to make this an epic, and unfortunately fall flat on their faces. Every single dialogue sounds so forced and pretentious, and so desperate to inspire that im totally put off. It wants to be an epic version of Gladiator but fails miserably. Also, the constant flashin of Pitt's ass is highly unappreciated. It adds no extra meaning or content to the movie except to attract women to woch dis movie. I was so sick of wochin Bloom actin as a pretty face again i looked away at every scene of him. The only actor worth mentionin is Bana. He practically stole the whole show from ALL the other 'stars' - they are way too overrated. Lastly, juz to add a pt, i fell aslp midway thru the movie. The ONLY interestin part was e duel btwn Archilles & Hector. STAY away from this stinker. Expand
  68. AdonisM.
    Jul 12, 2004
    All bull and no Homer, whose bones must be trembling in his grave, wherever it is!! Its like having a German fellow, directing George Washington dying during the liberation war. What comes after?? Simply nothing. Apart from that, there are neither characters, nor drama. Greeks look brutal and barbaric and Troyans totally naive and surviving thanks to their good luck to have been blessed All bull and no Homer, whose bones must be trembling in his grave, wherever it is!! Its like having a German fellow, directing George Washington dying during the liberation war. What comes after?? Simply nothing. Apart from that, there are neither characters, nor drama. Greeks look brutal and barbaric and Troyans totally naive and surviving thanks to their good luck to have been blessed with good kings and princes (a bit aristocratic it sounds, isnt it?). I'll give it 1 for the only part of the movie I really liked, the duel between Hector and Achilles that is. Thank God the ending leaves no room for a sequel.... (Well, apart from an Odyssey "inspired by Homer" thanks to Odysseus's continuous presense throughout the movie...). P.S. to Mr. Petersen: The majesty of "DAS BOOT" looks like ancient history now...only "inspired" by somebody else... Expand
  69. SuntR.
    Jul 9, 2004
    Wow this movie sucks! Really. It has nothing to do with the original story--a lot of the characters are left out, eg. the gods and my personal favourite Kassandra. And why the heck are all proper sound pronounced like in English? The story is (or at least should be) Greek, not Hollywoodish.
  70. SamC.
    Jul 2, 2004
    The special effects are mildly impressive, but not worth the millions spent on them, this is a film jam packed with sound-bites. Every sentance seems to have been written with an exhausting attempt to be a classic line, and far from the Epic that Homer wrote it to be, this "war of wars" that supposedly lasted over ten years, was summarised in a two week skirmish with only three or four The special effects are mildly impressive, but not worth the millions spent on them, this is a film jam packed with sound-bites. Every sentance seems to have been written with an exhausting attempt to be a classic line, and far from the Epic that Homer wrote it to be, this "war of wars" that supposedly lasted over ten years, was summarised in a two week skirmish with only three or four small engagements. As for the acting, this kind of film requires only the very best to help suspend belief and to escape reality. Unfortunately, whilst there are no real sore thumbs amoungst the many thumbs, a below par performance was laid on by many of the normally headlining names. For myself, I could not escape the continued thought,"what does Jennifer A think of all this?". Still, the individual fight scenes are beautifully put together, and the otherwise unwieldy weapons of the ancients, both the Greeks and the Assyrian/Persian feel to the Trojans (and I am sure that some expert nerd out there will correct me if I am wrong), were used in a way to cast them in a fresh light in my eyes. A few of the battle scenes show well the importance of good tactics, training and a strong commander, but whilst escape the shiny armour, squeaky cleanness of films like "First Knight", they lacked the full gritty reality of "Brave Heart". Conclusion? Not quite enough to suspend belief, definitely not on a large enough scale to be called an epic, the acting and the script was too weak to be called a classic, but enjoyable enough for those that like the genre, and considering the script he was given Brad Pitt, as the brooding Achilles, does not deserve quite as much of the panning that he got from the critics. Expand
  71. CM
    Jun 28, 2004
    When I review a movie or give a "grade" to something, I base it on the overall enjoyability of the film. And with TROY I was definitely entertained. You've got 3 incredibly handsome men to look at the entire time; you've got a few wonderful love stories that bring emotion to a blood filled movie; you've got great acting by Eric Bana, who stands out as the best of the men When I review a movie or give a "grade" to something, I base it on the overall enjoyability of the film. And with TROY I was definitely entertained. You've got 3 incredibly handsome men to look at the entire time; you've got a few wonderful love stories that bring emotion to a blood filled movie; you've got great acting by Eric Bana, who stands out as the best of the men (and that's saying a lot since I'm Brad Pitt's stalker!!!); and you've got some beautiful sights and scenes. It certainly wasn't the best movie I've seen (GLADIATOR was better at portraying the "toga" times in my opinion) but it was by no means near the bottom of my list either. A great movie well worth my $8 and worth $14.99 (Target!) when it comes out on DVD! (even if just to see Brad Pitt's ass again : ) Expand
  72. DaveC.
    Jun 16, 2004
    Overacted in a Samson & Delilah fashion and way too long (which doesn't help when it loses steam after an hour and a quarter) but it seems to have achieved its objective for the most part and turns out to be a lot more enjoyable and handsome than the tedious, choppy Gladiator.
  73. BenZ.
    Jun 12, 2004
    This movie was a pure and utter dissapointment to me after the extremely cool looking trailers. First off... what does this film have going for it? Well... Eric Bana is great as Hector and there are a couple of really cool fight scenes. Yep, that's it. This movie contains cheesy dialogue, an absolutely horrible musical score, disturbingly bad computer-generated troops, and some This movie was a pure and utter dissapointment to me after the extremely cool looking trailers. First off... what does this film have going for it? Well... Eric Bana is great as Hector and there are a couple of really cool fight scenes. Yep, that's it. This movie contains cheesy dialogue, an absolutely horrible musical score, disturbingly bad computer-generated troops, and some really bad casting choices. Brad Pitt is extremely inadequate as the heroic achilles and I'm beginning to truly see what a bad actor Orlando Bloom is. What a bummer, i was expecting another Gladiator. Expand
  74. Shammyshoo
    Jun 7, 2004
    Worst movie all year. The acting and dialogue and yes even the action were all agonizingly abysmal. How does sh.t like this get made?? oh right because of a mass of stupid americans (critics including). the stupid american has become somewhat redundant. the acting failed and not just because of the dialogue which was wholly laughable. the action was a huge disappointment. wolfgang Worst movie all year. The acting and dialogue and yes even the action were all agonizingly abysmal. How does sh.t like this get made?? oh right because of a mass of stupid americans (critics including). the stupid american has become somewhat redundant. the acting failed and not just because of the dialogue which was wholly laughable. the action was a huge disappointment. wolfgang peterson should never be allowed near a set ever again. and the music!!! jesus! i mean it's as if every single aspect of this movie was just a regurgitated effort of stereotypical hollywood bullshit. Honestly, I ask all people to stop going to see these horrible films. If we collectively stop watching this sh.t maybe they will actually attempt to make films that aren't garbage. if not it's going to be more of the same. sh.tty sequels to sh.tty remakes eg oceans 12. idiots. Expand
  75. KevinF.
    Jun 7, 2004
    Brad Pitt descends even further down the talent ladder, from pretty boy to Schwarzeneggerian meathead--all balls, no brains. Let us hope that he redeems himself by impressing us in Ocean's Twelve.
  76. CameronS.
    Jun 4, 2004
    [***SPOILERS***] Epic films are back in style today since the great success of Gladiator, last year we got four excellent grand blockbusters (Cold Mountain, The Last Samurai, Master and Commander, Pirates of the Caribbean). Troy doesn?t live up to any of those movies, but it doesn?t fall flat on its back either. In actuality, the epics of today aren?t much different than the ones of[***SPOILERS***] Epic films are back in style today since the great success of Gladiator, last year we got four excellent grand blockbusters (Cold Mountain, The Last Samurai, Master and Commander, Pirates of the Caribbean). Troy doesn?t live up to any of those movies, but it doesn?t fall flat on its back either. In actuality, the epics of today aren?t much different than the ones of yesterday, except with more camera movement, violence, and special effects shots. This is one constructed of great craftsmanship in some parts and generic aptitude in other parts. The shot of the ships setting sail to Troy is mesmerizing, but the attacking armies are like plastic army guys all set in motion. Not much drama or character development, Petersen wants to get the battle going as soon as possible, but who can blame him for getting the greatest battle the world?s ever seen into motion. A shortcoming however, because over the last three Christmas?s we?ve seen the greatest battles of another world?s, the siege of Troy falls short to the cosmic excellence of The Lord of the Rings. The plot basically involves Paris, a prince of Troy, shagging up Helen of Sparta and taking her with him back to Troy. Infuriating King Menelaus, he asks his brother, Agamemnon to go to war with him: to take back Helen and kick Paris?s sissy ass. The narrative structure of Troy is similar to that of WWE Raw and Smackdown. First, we get a quick introduction and a long speech by the guys in charge, talking about how the night it going to be electric. Then, each battle is like a real fight. First, we have the invasion, where Achilles and crew are sailing to shore faster than the other 999 ships. Here you have a slightly rogue member of a large group of cronies taking care of business to there own accord. They reach shore and capture a temple. This is like the opening fight on Raw. Shortly later, everybody else arrives. Then Menelaus takes on Paris, I?ll continue after I explain this. There are several great scenes in the movie that I believe are memorable enough to redeem it of its bad ones. Paris versus Menelaus is one of them. At the start of their bout; the film has built up enough complexities to say that it is difficult to decide whom you want to win. A reason to root for Menelaus is because a man for whom he showed hospitality stole his wife. But it?s hard to cheer against a boy we know as Legolas and Will Turner, despite lacking charisma and competence in this outing. Neither of them is wholly likable but both have a logical point of view. But that?s just the setup, the actual fight is quite rough, with lots of successful punches that look like they really hurt, and ends in a way that I can see many others doing. After this, the accord has been broken, an alliance mistaken, and all hell is going to break loose between these two crony groups of wrestlers. Now, we?re going to have a mighty battle royal in the middle of the movie, with the plastic toys crashing into each other, like watching twenty participants in the ring. However, the most important competitor, Achilles and gang, are watching from far away as their Greek compatriots take on the Trojans in a battle that sort of rouses but never excites. After underestimating the Trojan?s force, the Greeks are forced to retreat back to the beach. Maybe part of the shortcomings was due to the verbosely understated score. I felt like I should have a sense of exhilaration in the grandeur and violence of the sequence, but nothing really hit me because it lacks any intimacy. Not wanting to make the same mistake of underestimate as their enemy had, Hector leads the Trojans to a surprise attack on the Greeks, which starts out fantastically with the creepy shadows sneaking up to the beaches and throwing fire balls onto their camps, just before dawn. The next scurry has Achilles running out to fight Hector in what becomes true camp as what appears to be Achilles and Hector going at it, all the other soldiers suddenly stop and gather around to watch their mightiest warriors face off. Hector of course wins, and then later discovers he has just killed an Achilles-armored look-a-like, his nephew. Odysseus suggests to Hector that they?re has been enough killing. That must have been the reason why everybody stopped fighting at first. This miscalculation infuriates Achilles as he marches to the doorsteps of Troy, screaming for Hector to come out. This is the second great scene scattered amuck the 163-minutes of the film, and in closeness to Homer?s epic poem, this is where it should have ended, on an emotional successful note and a great, memorable (but not climatic) fight scene. Having to see the two warriors wake up in the morning and suit up for what will be one of the two?s last living day. It?s one brutal, white knuckle, and engaging fight that had me into it the entire time, hoping that neither would have to die, this is not only great because of its closeness and rhythmic achievement, but also because it suspended me from my knowledge of the poem and knowing who was going to win. This was like the big event of the night that is designed to end a feud, like a hell in a cell match between Triple H and Shawn Michaels. A grudge must end, and it must end it a spectacular way. [Spoiler warning] After defeating Hector, Achilles drags his body back to his camp in what sets up the greatest of the three memorable scenes. Priam (Peter O?Toole) rides to Achilles tent to kiss the hands of his son?s killer as he asks him to give him his son?s body back. Achilles agrees, but in the morning, Priam is still his enemy and he is still his son?s murderer. This is where the movie should have ended, because nothing great comes after that, though there is one sequence that should have been great. I?m talking about the Trojan horse, which had so much potential and doesn?t deliver what could have been sadly memorable. What I really wanted was a dark scene, with little lighting, showing the Greeks in the large, wooden horse. Did I get it ? see for yourself, you?ll be disappointed. But there is some emotion in the sequence as they let the belligerent Greeks into the city to burn it to the ground. This scene only secures minimal amusement and impact, it should be great, it should be so sad, and it should look wonderful. Instead it looks very ugly, and Homer?s entire poem is burned to hell faster than that of the city. Besides Hector vs. Achilles, anyone that has read Homer?s poem will have a relatively sour time with this, especially if you were hoping for a Greek God fantasy like Clash of the Titans. The playfully encouraging acts of the Gods are absent in Troy. Anyone familiar with Starship Troopers as a movie and as a book will be able to recognize the degree of inaccuracy and loss of general spirit that Troy is, except the Starship Troopers novel isn?t a classic of millennia?s and as a movie is enjoyable on its own terms. Then there is the complete change of scenes from poem to cinema. Nothing in ?The Iliad? is really in Troy, plenty of people live and die in different ways, and the true grit of it all is lost in the end. Then that brings up the stars of Troy, Brad Pitt and his acting chops. Ultimately miscast as Achilles, he is given a drowning depth in emotional scenes that just don?t work. However, he does have a lot of bravura and brawn that come off nicely, which is below Brad Pitt?s acting, this is a role more suitable to the likes of Dolph Lundgren, but he can?t get many ladies to the movies. Along with Pitt, the acting as a whole is A-List at second-rate. Sean Bean is great as the smart Odysseus; Orlando Bloom is horrible (but successfully sissy) as Paris. Eric Bana is good as Prince Hector, as long as he doesn?t have to say anything of profundity. Brian Cox is menacing but fishily unpleasant as King Agamemnon. Diane Kruger is only pretty to look at as a flippant Helen. For all its falls Troy is still an achievement of the cinema, a proper use of the medium. Homer?s words however few have been translated lovely onto the big screen. I?m sure a better match will be the Michigan State Spartans and the University of Southern California Trojans in a future Rose Bowl. Expand
  77. WassoZ.
    Jun 4, 2004
    I' d like to answer with my vote to Christos D. who gave it a 2 because the movie has nothing to do with the truth. You must know that the film was "BASED" on Homer's poem, so the writer was free to act as he will. Now if you want to see the "REAL" story, you should make your complaints to Greek people, because they do nothing for their history, exept being proud of it and yet I' d like to answer with my vote to Christos D. who gave it a 2 because the movie has nothing to do with the truth. You must know that the film was "BASED" on Homer's poem, so the writer was free to act as he will. Now if you want to see the "REAL" story, you should make your complaints to Greek people, because they do nothing for their history, exept being proud of it and yet critisize anything someone else is doing! And that's a shame! Expand
    Jun 2, 2004
    Worst, most artificial- digitalization yet! Only the acting was worse.
  79. DanB.
    Jun 2, 2004
    Much much better than I thought it would be, it's a pretty good movie. Brad Pitt is kind of odd here and there, but he doesn't stink up anything, and the fights are really good too. The movie made me go out and buy the book right after.
  80. ChristosD.
    Jun 1, 2004
    Awful movie. I was excepting a lot more but... The story has nothing to do with the truth. The battle scenes can be rated from average to bad. Nothing special there. I am only rating 2 because of the acting of "Priam", "Achileas" and "Ector" (heroes of the movie). Finally,this can not be called an epic movie!
  81. KenG.
    May 31, 2004
    Not the great epic it wants to be, but it does manage to entertain (mostly) for its 160 minutes. Forget the Iliad, though; characters kill and die according to Hollywood drama. Eric Bana steals the show from a buff and beautiful Brad Pitt, and when Hector dies the movie loses a little gas.
  82. CourtneyW.
    May 26, 2004
    The best thing I could say is that it's not awful. Not the epic it could be. Too long, overblown and overacted but entertaining enough in its own right.
  83. BradW.
    May 26, 2004
    I give this a 10 for the fights, in particular the one-on-one fights. The fight choreographer has done an outstanding job.
  84. MarkB.
    May 24, 2004
    A pompous, windy would-be epic that's completely shy of anything as memorable as the heartwrenching final minutes of Spartacus or Joaquin Phoenix's multileveled villainy in Gladiator or (do we even have to say it?) the chariot race in Ben-Hur, Troy proves that they really DON'T make 'em like they used to. Brad Pitt is generally at his best in over-the-top, heavily A pompous, windy would-be epic that's completely shy of anything as memorable as the heartwrenching final minutes of Spartacus or Joaquin Phoenix's multileveled villainy in Gladiator or (do we even have to say it?) the chariot race in Ben-Hur, Troy proves that they really DON'T make 'em like they used to. Brad Pitt is generally at his best in over-the-top, heavily satiric roles, as in 12 Monkeys and Fight Club; his opening scene, depicting his Achilles as a spoiled superstar athlete, has some of that promise, but it's quickly superseded by scene after endless scene of talky platitudes and unremarkable CGI battle sequences. (The anything-goes hand-to-hand combat is more impressive, even if it gives the uninformed the impression that Homer somehow got to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon before writing his account.) Pitt, Eric Bana, and Orlando Bloom may have seemed physically right for their roles (translation: their pecs and abs oil up real good) but they're boring pretty boys; thank Zeus such REAL actors as Brendan Gleeson, Brian Cox, Julie Christie and especially Peter O'Toole are added to the mix. I guess it's not entirely the movie's fault, since the battles mostly take place at night and/or in the dirt, but I gotta say it: this is one drab-LOOKING spectacle. To sort of get in the mood for this, I watched Cecil B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments on DVD the day before; never mind the kitschy dialogue, that 1956 film ran a full hour longer than Troy but seemed an hour shorter. That's because DeMille, for all his faullts, really knew how to tell a story on screen. At one time, so did Troy's director Wolfgang Petersen (Das Boot; In The Line of Fire; The Perfect Storm). What happened? Expand
  85. E.Clark
    May 24, 2004
    Very very disappointing. shame on you wolfgang peterson!!
  86. RobL.
    May 24, 2004
    This movie strayed so far from the originial epic that it made me sick. Not suprising since it was produced by Jennifer Aniston's new prod. company. Simply put, it's horrid. Go read the originial story.
  87. AdamL.
    May 24, 2004
    I thought this movie was very well done. Even though my friends hated it and thought it was boring, I for one am the kind of dork who likes it when something goes along with the original story that I remember from 9th grade. Even the characters I hated did a good job making me hate them.
  88. GaborA.
    May 24, 2004
    For the longest time sitting in the theater i questioned everyone's despise for this film. A little after the middle it all hit me. Up until the fall of Hector dare i say that this movie was damn good. But as achilles put a hole in the trojan hero's chest it was like he put a hole in the boat called Troy the movie. After that the movie slowly sunk. Unfortunately the movie was For the longest time sitting in the theater i questioned everyone's despise for this film. A little after the middle it all hit me. Up until the fall of Hector dare i say that this movie was damn good. But as achilles put a hole in the trojan hero's chest it was like he put a hole in the boat called Troy the movie. After that the movie slowly sunk. Unfortunately the movie was long giving the boat plenty of time to reach the bottom of the ocean. As Troy begins to fall, which apparently took a couple of days, this movie falls into abismallness, and it took but a mere hour. Expand
  89. Ioannis
    May 24, 2004
    I'm very sad. Illiad is my favorite myth. The script of "Troy" is a total rape. Petersen had the biggest opportunity to make the greatest epic movie in history and he ruined it. I'm so dissapointed.WHERE ARE THE GODS? The basic faults are: 1. Menelaos didn't die in Troy. He took Helen back to Mycynaie. 2. Agamemnon didn't die in Troy. He returned to Argos where his I'm very sad. Illiad is my favorite myth. The script of "Troy" is a total rape. Petersen had the biggest opportunity to make the greatest epic movie in history and he ruined it. I'm so dissapointed.WHERE ARE THE GODS? The basic faults are: 1. Menelaos didn't die in Troy. He took Helen back to Mycynaie. 2. Agamemnon didn't die in Troy. He returned to Argos where his wife Klytaimnistra killed him because he had sacrificed their daughter Ifigeneia to the gods so the ships could begin their journey for Troy. 3.Brissida was just a slave of Achillees. 4.Achilees was son of a godess who (when Achillees was baby) put him in some divine waters to make him immortal but she kept him from his heel which became his only vulnerable body member. 5. He died from Paris outside Troy long before Trojan horse. 6.Paris died immediatly after Achillees by Filloktitis. 7.Of course the war of Troy last 10 years and not 15 days. Expand
  90. D.Tank
    May 23, 2004
    Reading all these negative reviews, I thought I'd hate this movie. But surprisingly, the movie was great. I had never read the books, so I can't comment on how true the script was to the orignal story. But seriously, you can't please all those fanboys who are going to complain anyways even if you made a very true-to-the-orignal movie. They'll still nitpick small Reading all these negative reviews, I thought I'd hate this movie. But surprisingly, the movie was great. I had never read the books, so I can't comment on how true the script was to the orignal story. But seriously, you can't please all those fanboys who are going to complain anyways even if you made a very true-to-the-orignal movie. They'll still nitpick small details and go crazy over them. I loved the movie and the message of the entire movie. Although Orlando Bloom still couldn't act, you really do feel angry at him when he crawls back to his brother to help him out since he can't kill his challenger. So, in a sense, his stupid acting actually pays off by good directing. I thought the cinematography and music and everything was great. Sure, its no Lord of the Rings, but I still thought this was awesome and definately somewhere close in the Lord of the Rings league. Expand
  91. StaceyG.
    May 23, 2004
    [***SPOILERS***] Troy has it's Achille's heel but it is a very small weakness. The film is a little too "absorbed by hollywood." but other then that it is truly very good. Brad Pitt is pretty damn good as the film's leading man and Orldando Bloom's performance gets beter as the film progresses and his character grows and changes. It is clear that Troy was ment to be a[***SPOILERS***] Troy has it's Achille's heel but it is a very small weakness. The film is a little too "absorbed by hollywood." but other then that it is truly very good. Brad Pitt is pretty damn good as the film's leading man and Orldando Bloom's performance gets beter as the film progresses and his character grows and changes. It is clear that Troy was ment to be a 14a or pg-13 movie because it could have been a lot more bloodier. However i am assumign it was made with less gore in order to draw in teenage girls. I enjoyed the film and i found it very touching and moving. It felt as if there was no good guys or bad guys, just a war and the casulties from that war. Eric Bana plays Hector, the brother of Paris and the defendor of Troy. there is one scence where Hector must battle one on one with Achilles. Hector knows he is probably going to die, we see that in his eyes but we also know how caring he is and we know he will fight hard until either him or his seemingly immortal opponent is dead. The fight is filmed perfectly but it is the moments leading up to it taht truly touch our hearts. Eric Bana seems destined for his roel as Hector and he is literally perfect in all of his screen time. He is honestly the most likeable character in the movie and his relationship with his brother is very touching and vey interesting. Bloom and Bana show great chemistry. Hopeflly Bana will get a best-supportign actor nomination but considering the movie Troy, i doubt he will. Troy was simply a very good epic film, i did not give it a nine because In Troy versus lord of the rings Troy is teh strong admirable Hector and Lord of the rings is the seemingly invincible Achilles. Expand
  92. Triniman
    May 22, 2004
    Troy I went into this movie expecting to hate it. I thought it was surprisingly good. Brad Pitt stars as Achillies, the greatest Greek warrior. The character is cocky and overconfident, as a result of his superstar status among King Aggamemnon?s army. Far from being one-dimensional, Pitt is out-acted by Eric Bana, who plays the Trojan hero, Prince Hector, leader of their army. None of the Troy I went into this movie expecting to hate it. I thought it was surprisingly good. Brad Pitt stars as Achillies, the greatest Greek warrior. The character is cocky and overconfident, as a result of his superstar status among King Aggamemnon?s army. Far from being one-dimensional, Pitt is out-acted by Eric Bana, who plays the Trojan hero, Prince Hector, leader of their army. None of the acting is overdone. The computer animation is sparse and rarely noticeable. The story is based on Homer?s The Illiad (no, not that Homer!) A couple of parts seem like a stretch, but overall this is an enjoyable film. Review by Triniman Expand
  93. FrancoisC.
    May 21, 2004
    Bad cheesy movie, with horrible lighting, terrible script and laughable dialogs. If you want to watch a good epic, rent gladiator or even Braveheart. You will save a few bucks and will not have to stand such a disastrous movie.
  94. SteveW.
    May 21, 2004
    Ok, this movie was pretty damn bad. Basically its takes the Illiad and cuts out part after part just to make Achilles look good. Like that he's a demi-god, that Briseis was just his slave, that he could only be harmed through his heel...etc not some kind of lover The battle scenes were terrible; what a waste of money. The movie had no point. I'm Achilles I want honor and glory Ok, this movie was pretty damn bad. Basically its takes the Illiad and cuts out part after part just to make Achilles look good. Like that he's a demi-god, that Briseis was just his slave, that he could only be harmed through his heel...etc not some kind of lover The battle scenes were terrible; what a waste of money. The movie had no point. I'm Achilles I want honor and glory that come with war, no I want peace, no I want honor and glory (I'm not even going to address the peace issue now). No wait, I'm dying, I want peace. Great. Don't waste your time on this garbage. Read the Illiad instead, or bang your head against the wall...whatever works for you. Oh and don't read the Oddysey if you liked this movie, because you might be suprised at the appearance of those who were killed. Expand
  95. JessicaK.
    May 21, 2004
    No. It wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen, but... (sarcasm bootup beginning...) I've got a really good feeling that it probably took a whole lot of effort out of all those involved to make the movie what it was. It was pretty good. Entertaining. And isn't that what the movies should be? I am a history fanatic. I am studying to be a history teacher. And yet, I can No. It wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen, but... (sarcasm bootup beginning...) I've got a really good feeling that it probably took a whole lot of effort out of all those involved to make the movie what it was. It was pretty good. Entertaining. And isn't that what the movies should be? I am a history fanatic. I am studying to be a history teacher. And yet, I can somehow seperate my love of movies from my love of history and still enjoy myself without being overly critical. If you want a cut and dry documentary, watch the Discovery Channel. If you want entertainment from a movie that was, yes, shy of epic, but fairly noteworthy, see Troy. It's worth your 8$ ticket. We need to stop being so overly critical and realize that if acting and all other fascets of movie making were EASY, we'd all be actors and directors, wouldn't we? Stop picking things apart. This is someone's livelihood. Enjoy it for what it is. Entertainment and art. Troy was both. Expand
  96. CharlyC
    May 21, 2004
    Too much testosterone, a little of brain and no soul.
  97. Zef
    May 21, 2004
    I will never recommend this movie to any of my friends. This movie was a kind of total ...... Director probably never read the original Homers epics The Iliad and The Odyssey, because it should have based on the epics. The war took ten years not only two weeks. The story was realy poor, no drama, no mystic, no greek mythology. I think this was another of "great" movies, the purpose of I will never recommend this movie to any of my friends. This movie was a kind of total ...... Director probably never read the original Homers epics The Iliad and The Odyssey, because it should have based on the epics. The war took ten years not only two weeks. The story was realy poor, no drama, no mystic, no greek mythology. I think this was another of "great" movies, the purpose of which are to earn money. This is a good movie only for some americans who dont know where the Greece is and never want to know the truth. About artists: Brad Pitt - I thouht it was not a good choice but finally was not so bad. Eric Bana - good job Orlando Bloom - bad, he has no sense of antient age. His destiny is to play archer, probably he shoud stop acting after he had acted the character of Legolas in LOTR. And finally if you want to see movie about the real story of Troy I recommend you to see Helen of Troy because this movie is much more better even there are no famous actors. Expand
  98. Droog
    May 20, 2004
    Troy strives to be an epic in every sense ... and for the most part it succeeds. As a big fan of Homer's Iliad -- I've read tons of Greek mythology -- this movie, like Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, does a fine job of distilling the somewhat bloated source material into something more manageable. It warps the time frame from 10 years to 2 weeks, eliminates the direct Troy strives to be an epic in every sense ... and for the most part it succeeds. As a big fan of Homer's Iliad -- I've read tons of Greek mythology -- this movie, like Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, does a fine job of distilling the somewhat bloated source material into something more manageable. It warps the time frame from 10 years to 2 weeks, eliminates the direct presence of the Olympic gods, and kills off/saves characters who otherwise should have been saved/killed off. But what this movie has chosen to do is humanize legends. Through each of the major characters we see different purposes for living and dying: Agamemnon for Power. Achilles for Fame. Paris for Love. Hector for Duty. It's a bold thematic stroke, and all the actors are game. Eric Bana in particular is excellent as Hector. Brad Pitt holds his own as the psychologically complex Achilles, though his character deserves more airtime to flesh out his inner demons. The battlescenes are magnificent, and in fact I wanted to see more of them. True to epic form, some of the majestic sweeps of landscape and cornball music detracts from the grittier aspects of war, but this romanticized version of war is ultimately a winner. Expand
  99. WAKOJAKO
    May 20, 2004
    Extremely uneven epic, with an at-times ludicrous screenplay (I actually heard audience members laugh at some of the dialogue during my screening) and possibly the worst music score in some time (80 percent which consists of the most annoying wailing--a poor immitation of some compelling passages from "Gladiator"). Pitt broods, Bana scowls and Bloom mostly whimpers... Directed competently Extremely uneven epic, with an at-times ludicrous screenplay (I actually heard audience members laugh at some of the dialogue during my screening) and possibly the worst music score in some time (80 percent which consists of the most annoying wailing--a poor immitation of some compelling passages from "Gladiator"). Pitt broods, Bana scowls and Bloom mostly whimpers... Directed competently but without the panache that will thrust it into the status of a classic. Hopeless come awards season. Closer at heart to the inconsequential "Pearl Harbor" than audience pleasing "Gladiator." In fact, of all the things it lacks, the most startling may be heart. Expand
  100. LeeG.
    May 20, 2004
    With the Gods and heroes used more gracefully than some other "epic" movies, I found it thoroughly entertained me and was anything but a tongue in cheak romp which it could so easily have become. The martial prowess of Achilles was indisputible and at no point do you feel that he's just been "bigged-up" for the sake of the legend. Satisfyingly, he's just extremeley good at With the Gods and heroes used more gracefully than some other "epic" movies, I found it thoroughly entertained me and was anything but a tongue in cheak romp which it could so easily have become. The martial prowess of Achilles was indisputible and at no point do you feel that he's just been "bigged-up" for the sake of the legend. Satisfyingly, he's just extremeley good at killing people. Lots of people... A great performance from Eric Bana and the rest of the cast, with the only potential weak link being Bloom, who is convincing only because his role demands a bit of adolecent brashness. All in all though, a very good film; and a real treat as this year has teased us with some good concepts, but not so many golden fleece-alikes... Expand

1. A protracted and uninvolving affair in which men battle over issues that audiences may struggle to find compelling, and no central figure emerges to take command of the film.
    Troy lacks the focus of Gladiator, not to mention that Oscar winner's scrappy wit. But why kick a gift horse when you're in summer-movie heaven?
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    In this vigorous, stalwart epic, they blend martial breadth and emotional intimacy, honor and obsession, romance and machismo to show the glamour and folly of war.