Zeitgeist Films | Release Date: April 1, 2009
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 30 Ratings
WATCH NOW
adhibanAug 23, 2011
Indeed, this movie make a unique feel due to its landscape in which the film is taken(a dusty grass less prairie). The reality in this movie does not tends to mitigate at any instance. Surely everyone has in mind at last, why the movie nameIndeed, this movie make a unique feel due to its landscape in which the film is taken(a dusty grass less prairie). The reality in this movie does not tends to mitigate at any instance. Surely everyone has in mind at last, why the movie name TULPAN? the reason is, many became unaware of the subtle romance of this movie, the feature even no other romantic genre movies did not possess. But there is no need for the contemplative search towards the movie name, because the theme of the movie matters more than its name. Expand
AnneCOct 6, 2009
This movie had a very thin layer of narrative over a mostly national geographic type of look at how life is on the Hungersteppe - beautifully shot - phenomenal camera work, but go prepared for a lot of dust storms.
AtlantaJul 7, 2009
Interesting documentary slice of life on the steppe. Shouldn't be viewed as entertainment. The same story & cinematography set most anywhere else would be deemed sophomoric.
TomOct 10, 2009
Not for everyone I know but I found it interesting showing part of the world most of us will never see or even knew existed - I agree not much happened but to me anyway I found it worth while although couldnt recommend to most my movie Not for everyone I know but I found it interesting showing part of the world most of us will never see or even knew existed - I agree not much happened but to me anyway I found it worth while although couldnt recommend to most my movie loving friends. Expand
MilanCOct 8, 2009
Its Unique.
TimFApr 26, 2009
From the endlessly windswept landscape to the amazing extended scenes, every portion of the film was fascinating.
D.H.May 14, 2009
Yes, it was interesting to see this other way of life. As a film, though, it was just terribly overrated. The singing got to be a bit much; I had to plug my ears at points because it actually hurt, it was so shrill.
JohnM.May 19, 2009
Please save your money for a more deserving independent film - Tulpan is an absolute waste of time. High-minded reviewers fall in love with anything different, but "different" doesn't always mean "good." Tulpan is not a love story. Not Please save your money for a more deserving independent film - Tulpan is an absolute waste of time. High-minded reviewers fall in love with anything different, but "different" doesn't always mean "good." Tulpan is not a love story. Not even close. It's a repetitive, boring grind of a film about how much life sucks in Kazakhstan, especially if you are a sheep. You'll get the point quickly and sit around waiting for the story to move... ...it never does. The sad part is that the movie could have been great - but instead of building some kind of narrative, it assumes that you'll be interested in long, shapeless scenes of sheep wandering around randomly in dust storms and a little girl screeching out a loud, tuneless song. If that sounds artistic to you, then by all means, see this movie. Expand
TulpanS.Aug 24, 2009
Movie should be approached as an slice of life of a far away place, as something interesting, rather than very entertaining. Fans of, say, the Transformer movies would not be satisfied with Tulpan.
KevinVOct 17, 2009
Gorgeous in it's starkness, the cinematography was my favorite part of Tulpan. I also loved the wide range of human emotion that is expressed. The acting was tremendous and the characters are deep. What else can you ask for in a film?
ChadS.Jun 25, 2009
Dull and uninteresting. Critics really do love to fawn over this kind of tosh but honestly the average movie going Joe will find this movie hard work. Don't bother, not even on DVD.
johnwbyrdJun 11, 2011
The message of this movie is: "You think your life is hard, white middle-classed people from Western countries? Well in Kazakhstan we have to give birth to sheep by pulling them out ourselves. Also, there are dust storms. Also, we pop zitsThe message of this movie is: "You think your life is hard, white middle-classed people from Western countries? Well in Kazakhstan we have to give birth to sheep by pulling them out ourselves. Also, there are dust storms. Also, we pop zits on our father's back. All these processes take a long time, are disgusting, and are very boring for everyone around us as well. Also there is love somewhere but really you should concentrate on the sheep." Expand
mubagreenAug 25, 2011
" few films entertain us and few films engross us ,and this movie is full of life". this movie is a milestone in independent film making. the most beautiful thing in the movie is the way the director handles the actors ..