Zeitgeist Films | Release Date: April 1, 2009
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 30 Ratings
WATCH NOW
johnwbyrdJun 11, 2011
The message of this movie is: "You think your life is hard, white middle-classed people from Western countries? Well in Kazakhstan we have to give birth to sheep by pulling them out ourselves. Also, there are dust storms. Also, we pop zitsThe message of this movie is: "You think your life is hard, white middle-classed people from Western countries? Well in Kazakhstan we have to give birth to sheep by pulling them out ourselves. Also, there are dust storms. Also, we pop zits on our father's back. All these processes take a long time, are disgusting, and are very boring for everyone around us as well. Also there is love somewhere but really you should concentrate on the sheep." Expand
AtlantaJul 7, 2009
Interesting documentary slice of life on the steppe. Shouldn't be viewed as entertainment. The same story & cinematography set most anywhere else would be deemed sophomoric.
ChadS.Jun 25, 2009
Dull and uninteresting. Critics really do love to fawn over this kind of tosh but honestly the average movie going Joe will find this movie hard work. Don't bother, not even on DVD.
JohnM.May 19, 2009
Please save your money for a more deserving independent film - Tulpan is an absolute waste of time. High-minded reviewers fall in love with anything different, but "different" doesn't always mean "good." Tulpan is not a love story. Not Please save your money for a more deserving independent film - Tulpan is an absolute waste of time. High-minded reviewers fall in love with anything different, but "different" doesn't always mean "good." Tulpan is not a love story. Not even close. It's a repetitive, boring grind of a film about how much life sucks in Kazakhstan, especially if you are a sheep. You'll get the point quickly and sit around waiting for the story to move... ...it never does. The sad part is that the movie could have been great - but instead of building some kind of narrative, it assumes that you'll be interested in long, shapeless scenes of sheep wandering around randomly in dust storms and a little girl screeching out a loud, tuneless song. If that sounds artistic to you, then by all means, see this movie. Expand
D.H.May 14, 2009
Yes, it was interesting to see this other way of life. As a film, though, it was just terribly overrated. The singing got to be a bit much; I had to plug my ears at points because it actually hurt, it was so shrill.