6.5

1. Jun 11, 2011
    The message of this movie is: "You think your life is hard, white middle-classed people from Western countries? Well in Kazakhstan we have to give birth to sheep by pulling them out ourselves. Also, there are dust storms. Also, we pop zits on our father's back. All these processes take a long time, are disgusting, and are very boring for everyone around us as well. Also there is loveThe message of this movie is: "You think your life is hard, white middle-classed people from Western countries? Well in Kazakhstan we have to give birth to sheep by pulling them out ourselves. Also, there are dust storms. Also, we pop zits on our father's back. All these processes take a long time, are disgusting, and are very boring for everyone around us as well. Also there is love somewhere but really you should concentrate on the sheep." Expand

The acting and story are solid, but the real star of Tulpan is the gorgeous, never-ending landscape -- flat and arid, and home to camels, goats and lambs, and hearty people who live in tentlike yurts.
    Might be described as an epic landscape film, a sweetly comic coming-of-age story or a lyrical work of social realism. But the setting -- a windswept, sparely populated steppe in southern Kazakhstan -- gives the movie a mood that sometimes feels closer to that of science fiction.
    In every respect, this unclassifiable movie is an amazing accomplishment.