Turbo

6.2

1. Jul 17, 2013
    There's nothing overtly wrong with Dreamworks Animation's slick (from snail slime) new summer kid-pleaser, but for a movie about a speed-obsessed snail who just go with it enters the Indy 500, it sure does sit there. It's easy, formulaic and light on laughs. But, for those dragged to see it by children, it won't make you want to rub salt in your eyes. So it's a faint fail or a faintThere's nothing overtly wrong with Dreamworks Animation's slick (from snail slime) new summer kid-pleaser, but for a movie about a speed-obsessed snail who just go with it enters the Indy 500, it sure does sit there. It's easy, formulaic and light on laughs. But, for those dragged to see it by children, it won't make you want to rub salt in your eyes. So it's a faint fail or a faint pass, depending on your resilience. Ryan Reynolds voices Theo aka "Turbo" a snail inexplicably determined to be as fast as a Nascar racer. As if you could hear it coming straight out of a pitch meeting. "Wouldn't it be funny if a snail wanted to be fast? Because they're so slow!" Paul Giamatti plays Turbo's "isn't the life we have just fine?" brother, Chet, who mostly shouts things like "It's not natural!" and "That's not what Mother Nature had in mind!" at Turbo so much that you come to realize, after 10 minutes, that the villain in this film is reality. And after endless bickering between a sourpuss and an contrived dreamer, you begin to resent both sides of the argument. In fact, and this is where I'll lose some of you (but it's where my mind goes when I'm bored during a kids' movie), there's a struggling LGBT undercurrent to whole story. Especially when it comes to how much Turbo wants to desperately change who he is as a creature entirely. And, subsequently, how much he's told that he's wrong for wanting to be something different. You get relentlessly beaten about the head by both sides of the fence so much that after a while you have to clear the cobwebs and remember that you're watching a stunt-casted cartoon flick.
    From there the story plays out as predictably as possible, leaving little room for surprise or inspiration. Samuel L. Jackson, Snoop Dogg (Lion?) and Maya Rudolph play members of Turbo's rag-tag daredevil snail crew as the movie tries its hardest to convince you that a super-powered snail is somehow the underdog in a racing sport, despite the fact that he's already vastly superior simply by being a supernatural "thing that should not be." A chemical has, in fact, enhanced his performance.
  2. Jul 22, 2013
    "Dreamwork's Turbo" suffers greatly from its already weak premise, unoriginal tale, and unsatisfying group of characters, and still struggles greatly to convey a message. The film greatly struggles with making likable characters from the start, as the protagonist Turbo is hard to like due to his whiny and weakly developed personality. Turbo's growth through the film is a basic one that"Dreamwork's Turbo" suffers greatly from its already weak premise, unoriginal tale, and unsatisfying group of characters, and still struggles greatly to convey a message. The film greatly struggles with making likable characters from the start, as the protagonist Turbo is hard to like due to his whiny and weakly developed personality. Turbo's growth through the film is a basic one that doesn't develop as well as it should have, with moments of humor interacting into awkward moments of slight emotional edges. While the humor derives mostly on characters, it isn't that laugh out loud hilarious that you could have gotten from films like "Despicable Me 2" or "Monsters University", and that the fact that this movies tries to be hilarious but evidently fails to show extremely funny humor (example as only a few chuckles were found in my theater in Turbo, as opposed to bawling laughter while in MU and DM2) Along with the humor from the characters, a lot of the supporting characters are not even developed well, aside from Turbo and maybe his human counter part Tito. The themes are very (seriously) close to those from Pixar films "Ratatouille" and "Cars", and while compared to those, it is fallen back way behind. While the themes from "Ratatouille" and "Cars" are put into emotional depth with characters, you aren't as emotionally attached or even care for the ones in "Turbo". Starlight Plaza isn't as deeply inspired as Radiator Springs, and Turbo isn't as strong as a character as Remy, which leaves this film nearly impossible to be matched with movies similar to it. The main idea to "Turbo" is that "dreams can come true to everyone", which to the opposite of "Monsters University", but in this case, the message isn't able to influence the audience due to the case of Turbo's situation. Turbo's ability to get a radio attached inside of him and his physical speed is obviously aimed to reach the younger audience and to get a couple of laughs, but interacts negatively to the message because of the fact that it tells us that the impossible can happen, even though impossible. The message in "Monsters University" counteracts the one in "Turbo" much better, because it tells us the truth, even though the truth hurts. Turbo's positives are that its wonderfully animated (except the strange looking snails that are obviously prone for kids to like) and that its got some humor in it. While "Turbo" has its downsides, you may want to watch it on DVD instead of theaters, as "Monsters University" and even "Despicable Me 2" are much better than this film. While "Turbo" may be not as tight and well executed as it could have been, it is most likely that it will be the third best animated film of the summer (not that optimistic on Planes and Smurfs 2). Expand
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    This just an average animation movie, has absolutely nothing original, not a good main plot, no great characters. Not even a great looking animation, I can't give it more than 5/10.
  4. Nov 24, 2013
    A light hearted hybrid of Pixar's Cars and Ratatouille; Turbo never quiet manages to hit the high notes from either its plot or action but its entertaining enough for a watch. The comedy is sharp which helps the film but for a film called Turbo I expected it to get to it's main plot faster.
  5. Mar 17, 2014
    this is okay animation film . Starring Ryan Reynolds as a s snail who develops powers then he enters a race . i find that hard to believe a snail could enter a race . David Soren did a terrible job at this film and as a director he has poor creativity and imagation .
  6. May 21, 2014
    This film is a mixed bag providing some decent humor and entertaining characters but a bland and uninspired story. In all honesty there is no need for you to see this movie as it has little to offer. That being said though I have to give the film points for making me laugh a bit whereas The Croods didn’t. Now for granted this isn’t that much better than The Croods it’s only slightly betterThis film is a mixed bag providing some decent humor and entertaining characters but a bland and uninspired story. In all honesty there is no need for you to see this movie as it has little to offer. That being said though I have to give the film points for making me laugh a bit whereas The Croods didn’t. Now for granted this isn’t that much better than The Croods it’s only slightly better and one of the weaker films to come out Dreamworks. You are going to be fine if you don’t see this film but if you get stuck watching it its not that bad and you might laugh a bit. Look at this way you could be watching Planes which is far worse. However, Dreamworks has but together some good films over the years and it’s a shame that with Pixar falling behind in the race Dreamworks didn’t turn on their nitro shell and speed past them. If you saw the film in theaters though you saw a teaser for How To Train Your Dragon 2, which was better than the movie and has a lot of promise. Again not a bad film just forgettable. I saw it once and I’ll probably never see it again. Expand
  7. Jan 21, 2014
    Turbo is colourful yet mediocre. There is certainly some funny moments in the film and it is an enjoyable one, but it is tainted by hit-and-miss laughs, a by-the-numbers storyline and plenty of cliches.
  8. Nov 10, 2013
    Less engaging than M.U. (which for me was pretty good but I didn't saw the monster's first movie so I had no expectations) it does't stand out but it's ok.
    What Turbo fails to have is an unpredictable plot (is better not to watch the trailer but even so is still pretty predictable) everything falls apart from being too standard, too predictable.
    Though some might call it a piece of crap
    Though some might call it a piece of crap is a good to watch movie with your kids or at least better for 2 ages compared to The Smurfs which is incredibly boring and cheesy at times
    It also lacks great quality animation or rather said graphics, the gf is pretty much standard.
    For a better overall animation & plot you should watch The Croods
  9. Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing substantially wrong with this movie, but I found it almost impossible not to compare it to Cars. In the movie Cars, Lightning McQueen did not win either race but he and the characters around him became better "people", and succeeded. In Turbo, victory seems to be essential to a happy ending, a more shallow message.
  10. Dec 30, 2013
    After a funny and promising start, in which all the snails gather in the tomato patch to gorge on the ripest fruit, Turbo deteriorates in the second half when our day dreaming hero suddenly finds himself living his dream as a racing contestant after a freak accident gives him the power of speed.There are some very nice touches along the way; The snails being picked off by the birds, theAfter a funny and promising start, in which all the snails gather in the tomato patch to gorge on the ripest fruit, Turbo deteriorates in the second half when our day dreaming hero suddenly finds himself living his dream as a racing contestant after a freak accident gives him the power of speed.There are some very nice touches along the way; The snails being picked off by the birds, the cruelty relished by the young boy, and also Turbo viewing all the cars he is racing against as very ripe tomatoes. Sadly, though, a lot of the other snails he meets when his racing dream is realised are the usual animated cutesy types. These stock characters ensure that Turbo runs out of fuel way before our slimy friend has rolled past the finishing line. Expand
  11. Aug 6, 2013
    This is an enjoyable children's movie, but it's nothing spectacular. I would say it's similar to Monster's University you are hoping for something a little more, but it's worth a mild recommendation. B-
  12. Oct 14, 2014
    Really not all that great. It's like Pixar's Cars, but without that special magic that made Cars good. It's a cute concept and borrows elements from quite a lot of other movies but doesn't straight up copy them. Overall it's okay.
  13. Mar 11, 2015
    "Turbo," DreamWorks Animation's latest cinematic story, isn't the studio's best film, nor is it the worst, but rather, it's a middle-of-the-road adventure with a predictable underdog tale we've seen before in other films. The story is just kind of bland and uninspired. I mean, we already know what's gonna happen at every turn, and how the film will inevitably end, so it probably wouldn't"Turbo," DreamWorks Animation's latest cinematic story, isn't the studio's best film, nor is it the worst, but rather, it's a middle-of-the-road adventure with a predictable underdog tale we've seen before in other films. The story is just kind of bland and uninspired. I mean, we already know what's gonna happen at every turn, and how the film will inevitably end, so it probably wouldn't have hurt if the filmmakers did something more with the plot to liven it up. But then again, this is a movie about a talking snail who races in the Indy 500, so I guess I shouldn't have expected too much. Expand
  14. Jul 8, 2015
    Tamam dünyanın en yavaş hayvanını en hızlıların yarışına sokma fikri eğlenceli ve üstelik seslendirmeler de bence muhteşem. Çizgilere bayıldım ancak çok da yaratıcı bir senaryo olmadığını söylemeliyim. Açıkçası araya atılan bir kaç parça beni çok eğlendirse de, örneğin eye of the tiger ve matrix filminden bir sahne gibi yine de beklediğimden daha az etkili olduğunu söylemeliyim. Ancak yineTamam dünyanın en yavaş hayvanını en hızlıların yarışına sokma fikri eğlenceli ve üstelik seslendirmeler de bence muhteşem. Çizgilere bayıldım ancak çok da yaratıcı bir senaryo olmadığını söylemeliyim. Açıkçası araya atılan bir kaç parça beni çok eğlendirse de, örneğin eye of the tiger ve matrix filminden bir sahne gibi yine de beklediğimden daha az etkili olduğunu söylemeliyim. Ancak yine de 6 yaşımdaki oğlumun izlerken attığı kahkahalar bir altı puan eder bence... Çocukların sevimli salyangozları seveceğine eminim. Bu arada filmin müziklerine bayılım. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Oct 24, 2013
    Rather than bionically enhancing all its characters, a better movie might have found ways to celebrate their sloth and slime.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Oct 21, 2013
    Paul Giamatti shines as Theo’s pessimistic brother Chet, and the uplifting message never smashes you over the head.
  3. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Oct 15, 2013
    Kids should be game for the ride, and the colourful characters offer humour and poignancy: Paul Giamatti’s cautious snail Chet shares a sweet friendship with reckless Turbo. Comparisons with Pixar’s ‘Cars’ are easy to make, but that’s no bad thing.