6.0

1. May 21, 2014
    This film is a mixed bag providing some decent humor and entertaining characters but a bland and uninspired story. In all honesty there is no need for you to see this movie as it has little to offer. That being said though I have to give the film points for making me laugh a bit whereas The Croods didn’t. Now for granted this isn’t that much better than The Croods it’s only slightly better and one of the weaker films to come out Dreamworks. You are going to be fine if you don’t see this film but if you get stuck watching it its not that bad and you might laugh a bit. Look at this way you could be watching Planes which is far worse. However, Dreamworks has but together some good films over the years and it’s a shame that with Pixar falling behind in the race Dreamworks didn’t turn on their nitro shell and speed past them. If you saw the film in theaters though you saw a teaser for How To Train Your Dragon 2, which was better than the movie and has a lot of promise. Again not a bad film just forgettable. I saw it once and I’ll probably never see it again. Expand
  2. Mar 17, 2014
    this is okay animation film . Starring Ryan Reynolds as a s snail who develops powers then he enters a race . i find that hard to believe a snail could enter a race . David Soren did a terrible job at this film and as a director he has poor creativity and imagation .
  3. Mar 10, 2014
    I can't really fault this movie too much as I really didn't expect anything from it going in. Surprisingly I thought it was allot of fun and the premise work allot better than I thought it would. Animation is what you can expect from Dreamworks, the voice acting is generally good all round (Paul Giamatti in particular giving a strong performance.)

Overall:
    While this movie is no where
    near animation history and is likely to be forgotten over time, it's still allot of fun and enjoyable to watch. Expand
  4. Mar 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DreamWorks Animation’s Turbo tells the story of Theo, a garden snail with large ambitions. His role model, Guy Gagne, inspires him to become a racer, even though he is ridiculed for his unrealistic dreams. After a freak accident involving Nitrous Oxide, Theo’s DNA and life will never be the same. After meeting several friends along the way, he and his human friend Tito start on a journey to win the Indianapolis 500, despite the arguments put up by their down-to-Earth brothers.

Turbo is one of the more disappointing animated movies of 2013, even more so after considering that DreamWorks produced this for $127 million. Upon first glance, Turbo appears to be a sort of Ratatouille and Cars hybrid. After watching the movie, it comes true, as it features the same themes as the former and the environment of the latter. DreamWorks effectively creates parallels between the two pairs of brothers – Theo and Chet; Tito and Angelo. However, it doesn’t do much else with them and the brotherly bond subplot, among many others, is lost in the wind due to its underdevelopment. Part of the reason for this is that the cast is made up of far too many characters. It gets to the point that the majority of the characters play too minor a part to justify development or a connection with the audience.

Children might find joy and excitement in watching Turbo, thanks to its flashy visuals – highlighted by a minor race sequence and Turbo’s neon-blue trail. Its auto-tuned song, “The Snail is Fast”, might have children singing it upon leaving the theatre, but may only serve to annoy the rest of us. Turbo attempts to introduce humour a few times with the eagles, tomatoes, and snail crew, but unfortunately falls short every time. A running gag, the crows snatching up the snails, hopefully will zip past childrens’ minds, as that won’t be a particularly enjoyable conversation to have with a young one.

One thing that parents may notice is the extremely blatent product placement. Brands on cars is perfectly understandable (although avoidable), but I’m sure DreamWorks could have made the same movie without a Verizon-branded phone or HP-branded laptops – no offense to either company.

A few plot-holes are present in the movie, namely the over-dramatized “permission to race” sequence – Tito earlier mentions that snails can race in the Indy 500. So why make such a big deal out of it? DreamWorks also feels the need to run an extremely minor and useless romance subplot in the background of the entire movie – for no reason except to maybe entertain younger audiences.

DreamWorks had a juicy premise with Turbo, but instead of fleshing out the characters and plot, fails to deliver anything substantial, instead giving quite a rotten movie.
  5. Feb 28, 2014
    I had a great time with the movies. movie about a speed-obsessed snail who just go with it enters the Indy 500 dose make thing lot groundbreaking.But, for those dragged to see it by children, it won't make you want to rub salt in your eyes it just make you run from the salt to ensure your safe. its an great pick. i give 8 out of 10.
  6. Jan 21, 2014
    Turbo is colourful yet mediocre. There is certainly some funny moments in the film and it is an enjoyable one, but it is tainted by hit-and-miss laughs, a by-the-numbers storyline and plenty of cliches.
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    After a funny and promising start, in which all the snails gather in the tomato patch to gorge on the ripest fruit, Turbo deteriorates in the second half when our day dreaming hero suddenly finds himself living his dream as a racing contestant after a freak accident gives him the power of speed.There are some very nice touches along the way; The snails being picked off by the birds, the cruelty relished by the young boy, and also Turbo viewing all the cars he is racing against as very ripe tomatoes. Sadly, though, a lot of the other snails he meets when his racing dream is realised are the usual animated cutesy types. These stock characters ensure that Turbo runs out of fuel way before our slimy friend has rolled past the finishing line. Expand
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    DreamWorks once again delivers another fantastic, family friendly animated movie. It takes the usual underdog story about a main character who no one believes in, yet he manages to prove them wrong, and makes it worth revisiting this overused plot theme by introducing the studio's expected sense of humor and excellent animation. As always with DreamWorks movies the voice cast is an excellent selection of big name actors. This is an absolutely charming animated movie that will enchant it's younger viewers and maybe even bring a smile to the faces of their parents. All I know is that I loved every second of this animated delight. Expand
  9. Dec 2, 2013
    This movie is boring, poorly original, with a terrible plot and terrible characters. The "bad guy" is really the worst example for an antagonist in such a movie. I've seen tons of child-related movies and this one is surely the most boring.
    Unconsistent and awful. Nothing more.
  10. Nov 28, 2013
    Turbo is far from original and climaxes way too soon. However, its vibrant visuals and enjoyable characters will keep most younger viewers enthralled.
  11. Nov 24, 2013
    A light hearted hybrid of Pixar's Cars and Ratatouille; Turbo never quiet manages to hit the high notes from either its plot or action but its entertaining enough for a watch. The comedy is sharp which helps the film but for a film called Turbo I expected it to get to it's main plot faster.
  12. Nov 24, 2013
    I liked it because turbo s brother had faith in turbo. I also like it because the man was kind to turbo. I liked the way turbo won the race and good triumphed in the end
  13. Nov 20, 2013
    Turbo is despite having a predictable and all-seen-before plot, it is terrifically enjoyable for adults and kids. The animation looks beautiful, the 3D is insightful, the characters are lovable although flat with no depth just to carry on the movie, it is enjoyable, funny and entertaining throughout. Intense at times.
  14. Nov 12, 2013
    This was an all around fun movie to watch, its a good underdog story with good animations and anyone can enjoy it. Although the ending is quite silly in a bad way. Overall Score= 75/100
  15. Nov 12, 2013
    A hilarious family friendly movie! Funny characters, hilarious jokes, and so much more! If your just wanting a casual movie to see during the week, then this movie is the one for you!
  16. Nov 10, 2013
    Less engaging than M.U. (which for me was pretty good but I didn't saw the monster's first movie so I had no expectations) it does't stand out but it's ok.
    What Turbo fails to have is an unpredictable plot (is better not to watch the trailer but even so is still pretty predictable) everything falls apart from being too standard, too predictable.
    Though some might call it a piece of crap
    is a good to watch movie with your kids or at least better for 2 ages compared to The Smurfs which is incredibly boring and cheesy at times
    It also lacks great quality animation or rather said graphics, the gf is pretty much standard.
    For a better overall animation & plot you should watch The Croods
  17. Nov 7, 2013
    While I enjoy Dreamworks films, I never thought they were anywhere near what Pixar puts out in the department of story and humor. "Turbo" isn't going to win any awards for dynamic characters or any for having a rich deep story but I found myself having a lot of fun with the film. While it was clearly geared more towards kids rather than being a family film that both young and old can enjoy (the sheer logistics of a world where a snail can go fast and the human race kinda accepts it a little too easily will, no doubt, rub some older viewers the wrong way), I still thought the movie had some great animation, a fantastic cast doing an astonishing job and it was really funny--especially the snail character White Shadow (man, he was funny). Expand
  18. Nov 6, 2013
    The story of the movie is very similar to Ratatouille and Cars, nothing original. But you can pass a good time watching this movie with your friends or family.
  19. Nov 1, 2013
    Great animation! Very enjoyable to watch! It was unpredictable and exciting! A little bit more would be great, but it's still awesome. Looking forward for Turbo 2! My score is 8/10
  20. Oct 17, 2013
    I think what kills Turbo is the fact that it has a painfully generic plot, poorly developed and unlike-able characters, and terrible miscasting. I mean hopefully, Who puts people like Samuel L. Jackson and Snoop Dogg in an animated film aimed towards kids? Morons...that's who.

Overall, Turbo shouldn't even be on your radar. It's painfully unoriginal and boring. Would be a waste of time
    and money to see it. Expand
  21. Sep 12, 2013
    Very cute, nice animation. Very underrated. It's really worth watching, MUST SEE. Kids will be happy. Go and see, especially if you have children or you're child.
  22. Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing substantially wrong with this movie, but I found it almost impossible not to compare it to Cars. In the movie Cars, Lightning McQueen did not win either race but he and the characters around him became better "people", and succeeded. In Turbo, victory seems to be essential to a happy ending, a more shallow message.
  23. Aug 10, 2013
    It may lean towards kids, but honestly I really liked this movie a lot. Yet predictable, but absolutely interesting to watch. Overall, one of the best animated movies of the year so far. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  24. Aug 6, 2013
    This is an enjoyable children's movie, but it's nothing spectacular. I would say it's similar to Monster's University you are hoping for something a little more, but it's worth a mild recommendation. B-
  25. Aug 1, 2013
    This just an average animation movie, has absolutely nothing original, not a good main plot, no great characters. Not even a great looking animation, I can't give it more than 5/10.
  26. dpc
    Jul 29, 2013
    Saw it with my 7 year old son we both had a great time. Yes, the story is hardly innovative, but the animation is great, the humor is great, the voice acting is great and it's overall just a lot of fun. Turbo is getting a bit beat up for the wrong reasons. Critics should take in account the target audience, like my son, who loved it. And as an adult, believe me, you could do far worse. So, if you are 2 dudes in your 20s, you probably won't be blown away (as you might with Pixar) but for families with easy-going kids, you won't be sorry you dropped some cash on a Saturday afternoon. Expand
  27. Jul 28, 2013
    A movie about a racing snail? Yes it can be done (and it has)! Although you may have felt like you've seen something like this story before *cough*Herbie*cough*, there is a certain level of charm in watching an underdog trying to follow their dreams. Not just talking about the snail either. Some parts of the movie are a bit slow, and it takes awhile before things really pick up. Overall though, there are enough moments, character-building, and comedy to keep interest up. Expand
  28. Jul 22, 2013
    The animation is probably weaker than most animations films today but Turbo is more human, more interesting and better made overall than Monster University and Despicable Me 2.
  29. Jul 22, 2013
    "Dreamwork's Turbo" suffers greatly from its already weak premise, unoriginal tale, and unsatisfying group of characters, and still struggles greatly to convey a message. The film greatly struggles with making likable characters from the start, as the protagonist Turbo is hard to like due to his whiny and weakly developed personality. Turbo's growth through the film is a basic one that doesn't develop as well as it should have, with moments of humor interacting into awkward moments of slight emotional edges. While the humor derives mostly on characters, it isn't that laugh out loud hilarious that you could have gotten from films like "Despicable Me 2" or "Monsters University", and that the fact that this movies tries to be hilarious but evidently fails to show extremely funny humor (example as only a few chuckles were found in my theater in Turbo, as opposed to bawling laughter while in MU and DM2) Along with the humor from the characters, a lot of the supporting characters are not even developed well, aside from Turbo and maybe his human counter part Tito. The themes are very (seriously) close to those from Pixar films "Ratatouille" and "Cars", and while compared to those, it is fallen back way behind. While the themes from "Ratatouille" and "Cars" are put into emotional depth with characters, you aren't as emotionally attached or even care for the ones in "Turbo". Starlight Plaza isn't as deeply inspired as Radiator Springs, and Turbo isn't as strong as a character as Remy, which leaves this film nearly impossible to be matched with movies similar to it. The main idea to "Turbo" is that "dreams can come true to everyone", which to the opposite of "Monsters University", but in this case, the message isn't able to influence the audience due to the case of Turbo's situation. Turbo's ability to get a radio attached inside of him and his physical speed is obviously aimed to reach the younger audience and to get a couple of laughs, but interacts negatively to the message because of the fact that it tells us that the impossible can happen, even though impossible. The message in "Monsters University" counteracts the one in "Turbo" much better, because it tells us the truth, even though the truth hurts. Turbo's positives are that its wonderfully animated (except the strange looking snails that are obviously prone for kids to like) and that its got some humor in it. While "Turbo" has its downsides, you may want to watch it on DVD instead of theaters, as "Monsters University" and even "Despicable Me 2" are much better than this film. While "Turbo" may be not as tight and well executed as it could have been, it is most likely that it will be the third best animated film of the summer (not that optimistic on Planes and Smurfs 2). Expand
  30. Jul 17, 2013
    There's nothing overtly wrong with Dreamworks Animation's slick (from snail slime) new summer kid-pleaser, but for a movie about a speed-obsessed snail who just go with it enters the Indy 500, it sure does sit there. It's easy, formulaic and light on laughs. But, for those dragged to see it by children, it won't make you want to rub salt in your eyes. So it's a faint fail or a faint pass, depending on your resilience. Ryan Reynolds voices Theo aka "Turbo" a snail inexplicably determined to be as fast as a Nascar racer. As if you could hear it coming straight out of a pitch meeting. "Wouldn't it be funny if a snail wanted to be fast? Because they're so slow!" Paul Giamatti plays Turbo's "isn't the life we have just fine?" brother, Chet, who mostly shouts things like "It's not natural!" and "That's not what Mother Nature had in mind!" at Turbo so much that you come to realize, after 10 minutes, that the villain in this film is reality. And after endless bickering between a sourpuss and an contrived dreamer, you begin to resent both sides of the argument. In fact, and this is where I'll lose some of you (but it's where my mind goes when I'm bored during a kids' movie), there's a struggling LGBT undercurrent to whole story. Especially when it comes to how much Turbo wants to desperately change who he is as a creature entirely. And, subsequently, how much he's told that he's wrong for wanting to be something different. You get relentlessly beaten about the head by both sides of the fence so much that after a while you have to clear the cobwebs and remember that you're watching a stunt-casted cartoon flick.
    From there the story plays out as predictably as possible, leaving little room for surprise or inspiration. Samuel L. Jackson, Snoop Dogg (Lion?) and Maya Rudolph play members of Turbo's rag-tag daredevil snail crew as the movie tries its hardest to convince you that a super-powered snail is somehow the underdog in a racing sport, despite the fact that he's already vastly superior simply by being a supernatural "thing that should not be." A chemical has, in fact, enhanced his performance.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Oct 24, 2013
    Rather than bionically enhancing all its characters, a better movie might have found ways to celebrate their sloth and slime.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Oct 21, 2013
    Paul Giamatti shines as Theo’s pessimistic brother Chet, and the uplifting message never smashes you over the head.
  3. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Oct 15, 2013
    Kids should be game for the ride, and the colourful characters offer humour and poignancy: Paul Giamatti’s cautious snail Chet shares a sweet friendship with reckless Turbo. Comparisons with Pixar’s ‘Cars’ are easy to make, but that’s no bad thing.