Twelve Monkeys

8.9

1. TomK.
    May 2, 2007
    Maybe if I saw this movie 10 years ago, I would appreciate it more, but the time travel philosophy in this movie was absolutely pointless. Everything was very predictable, nothing intriguing and wow factor that hits you. And when it does in the last 10 min, you realize the absurdity of the movie. It's just another time travel paradox, an endless cycle of trying to change the future, Maybe if I saw this movie 10 years ago, I would appreciate it more, but the time travel philosophy in this movie was absolutely pointless. Everything was very predictable, nothing intriguing and wow factor that hits you. And when it does in the last 10 min, you realize the absurdity of the movie. It's just another time travel paradox, an endless cycle of trying to change the future, yet whatever you do, that exact future is coming. The movie touches upon parallel universes at least unlike Back To The Future, but the looping cycle is flawed. I really like time travel movies, and so I thought this movie had a complex, fresh, imaginative, thought on time travel, but yet it's nothing you haven't thought about. I did like the psychological part of time travelling however, and the acting was well, mostly by Brad. Expand
  2. RoyT.
    Apr 24, 2008
    An impressing achievement of filmmaking for Mr Gilliam, as well as very cool acting by Brad Pitt. there are some people who will find this clever "complex" and just totally a good film all around. i am definately not one of them. i found it confusing, sadly boring - and yes - a bit too long. i ended up feeling dizzy with a headache at the end. Despite this, there are some aspects of the An impressing achievement of filmmaking for Mr Gilliam, as well as very cool acting by Brad Pitt. there are some people who will find this clever "complex" and just totally a good film all around. i am definately not one of them. i found it confusing, sadly boring - and yes - a bit too long. i ended up feeling dizzy with a headache at the end. Despite this, there are some aspects of the film i felt intrigued by, such as in the beginning with Bruce walking around in the suit, or Pitt dressed in the tux in the fancy mansion watching Bruces character run off - it was cool to with the scientist scenes talking to bruce. as the film progresses, i felt it lacked entertainment for my taste. i am completely mixed opinioned on this movie. The Mental Hospital scenes were cool, but Mr Pitts last few scenes dragged in ultra dialogy nonsense that just gave me a headache. Sorry Mr Gilliam, your a good director, but 12 monkeys isn't my cup of tea. Expand
  3. Jan 11, 2011
    was a good film really enjoyed it i loved allot of things about it i loved the cinematography and the ending would highly reccomend ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
  4. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. these ratings baffle me all the time, it's like i'm watching a different movie,
    and here i say it, the movie wasn't that good, twist endings and mystery are my favorite genre so i know what i'm talking about.
    yeah it's a movie about time travel but it's doesn't offer a new idea or a new sight or objective, which means it doesn't use the time travel to it's benefit, and the movie doesn't look good, the screen was dark, it was actually too dark that i've seen movies done in the 80's that's better than this.
    yeah the movie keep you guessing and deciphering and offers a questionable ending, i get it ok,
    but don't overrated any movie because it left you baffled, think about this way, it's not enjoyable, didn't bring a new thing to the table and more importantly the screen was terrible.
  5. Oct 28, 2014
    Honestly I was expecting something else. It seemed like a movie more interesting and more exciting. Honestly, I like Sci-Fi movies like, but it disappointed me ... The only thing that I liked are the actors performances ...
  6. Jun 8, 2015
    Despite its frustratingly disappointing ending, "Twelve Monkeys" still holds itself up with some solid twists and aesthetic brilliance all throughout.
  7. May 30, 2015
    The movie had an interesting original idea with believable characters.The acting was overall pretty good and the movie was well made but,the movie was pretty long for nothing and it gets boring pretty fast.

Gilliam keeps the audience guessing, and in doing so creates a startlingly effective rumination on the nature of sanity and madness cloaked in the shroud of a sci-fi thriller.
  2. Brad Pitt has fun with his secondary part as a pontificating lunatic, but I wish I'd enjoyed the rest of the cast more.
    Any laughs that it inspires will be very hollow. It's more of a celebration of madness and doom, with a hero who tries to prevail against the chaos of his condition, and is inadequate.