3.6

1. Dec 14, 2013
    This is a Christmas movie? These story elements rarely connect, and exist only so the sassy, straight-talking Madea can bulldoze through obvious scenarios, cracking jokes that might have been funny when Nixon was in office. Madea insults a harried Asian customer while working in a busy department store. Madea stumbles into a Ku Klux Klan rally while road-tripping through Alabama. Madea falls in a pile of cow manure while working on Lacey and Conner’s farm. Madea relays a hip-hop version of the Nativity story to Lacey’s impressionable class and concludes by hanging a misbehaving student from a life-size cross in the front of the classroom. Coal. A moldy fruitcake. Socks and underwear. The complete Encyclopedia Britannica set. These are items I’d prefer to receive this holiday season instead of “Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas,” an insensitive, unfunny cringer from the entrepreneurial writer-director that should have come with a gift receipt. Expand
  2. Dec 23, 2013
    Please dear god, show me your mercy and erase my memory. I saw one of these movies before and let me tell you, the 'silly black man cross dressing into crazy elderly black woman' cliche' is simply not funny AT ALL. None of his movies have ever been funny, he just doesn't have it. His ignorant racial slurs and absolute disregard for his own self respect is dreadfully painful to watch. As he is an obvious advocate for racism, id like to state my opinion in that Tyler Perry is a complete and utter disgrace to blacks and an absolute abomination to humankind. This no talent ass clown will never get better, because he simply is a terrible filmmaker that had no talent to began with. Please god strike him down for the sake of sanity. Expand
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    This is the best Tyler Perry movie thus far very funny. It had us laughing all the way through. My wife and I both enjoyed it. The whole auditorium was filled with laughter.
  4. Dec 14, 2013
    Tyler Perry knows how to make money from movies; my wish is now he'd make a really great movie! His problem is always the same the story board. There are always wonderful moments of genuine laugh-out-loud situations/dialogue but he weighs his films down with predictability (young boy's story) and disbelief (car save and transformation of Conner, oh, and milking a bull.) Enjoyed this but won't remember much about it; with his talents he needs to aim for more than a trip to the bank! Expand
  5. Dec 20, 2013
    A Madea Christmas isn't your typical type of comedy, although it is light hearted but sometimes rude, Madea's deep but weird sweetness is to surely please the watchers along with the laughs.
  6. Dec 17, 2013
    The fact that Tyler Perry is milking the franchise as much as he can is just pathetic. His movies are bad and not original at all.
    I've watched all Madea movies and I have to say this is by far the worst one. Not only is it not funny but it's pretty much the same story as the others. Tyler Perry, you don't have to live in your car anymore, you have your estate now please sit back and let
    creative people take over. Expand
  7. Dec 15, 2013
    seen this movie yesterday, i liked it, but the movie lacks alot of madea's funny side. she lost her hard side in this movie, alot of the humor is credited to larry the cable guy he really saved this movie
  8. Dec 18, 2013
    This movie makes a good argument that not only should Tyler Perry stop making movies, he should be sent to Purgatory, and have his sins burned away by making him watch the far too numerous Madea movies until his retinas set themselves on fire. Movies these days went from art (see also: Apocalypse Now, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, everything by Kubrick) to cliche's wrapped in casual racism.
  9. Dec 24, 2013
    Mr. Tyler Perry has assisted the art culture in a number of ways. First, he has helped people redirect their behaviors that cause dysfunction. He has raised the issue of being aware of irrational actions. No, he does not use drugs, or women in derogatory ways. He is a true artist: In the Modern Era, Post Modern, Post Post Modern Era and if you choose the Populist era as well. Merry Christmas. Expand
  10. Dec 16, 2013
    An absolute step-up from the last Madea flick, which was pretty tough to sit through. Obviously, if you could simply link together nothing but Madea sequences in which she threatens to beat the hell out of some rude idiot, it would be hilarious, but you can't do that. The rest is filler the equivalent of an banal straght-to-cable movie. The supporting cast here includes a few blasts from the past: Larry the Cable Guy, the actress who played Blair Warner on The Facts of Life, and Chad Michael Murray from One Tree Hill. Madea movies are generally fearless in discussing issues of race, and they do it fairly showing that everyone is capable of racism, and everyone is capable of bridging the gap with people who aren't like them. Bottom line: I laughed, and I'll see the next one. Expand
  11. Dec 14, 2013
    I've seen bits and pieces of Tyler Perry's movies on TV, but this is the first time I paid to see Madea on a movie screen. I must admit, I did enjoy it. It's not high art, but it has a good storyline, an appealing cast, and it's entertaining. It was a pleasant diversion on a snowy winter night.
  12. Dec 14, 2013
    Still not feeling the effects from the last 5 Madea movies, I'd say Tyler Perry just felt a little too much pressure on a new holiday-themed Madea movie. A Madea Christmas is pretty funnier than Witness Protection, but still even though it's not a very good Madea movie, but it's probably decent. Maybe I'll wait for a rental but not this holiday season.
  13. Jan 31, 2014
    I'll pretty much see any Madea movie, and my expectations are always at floor level for every scene that doesn't have Madea kicking somebody's ass or threatening to kick somebody's ass. It met my expectations, and had fun with it!
  14. Jan 11, 2014
    All of a sudden, she's the good one??? We all know that Madea is funnier than that and Tyler Perry is just not doing his job properly... The movie also didn't have 'Christmas Spirit'
  15. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In Madea's world, every character is a stereotype, not due to bad writing, acting, or directing, but to get us all past our stereotypes.

In Madea's world, we laugh when she says laugh, at what she says to other characters, but never "at" her. (Think of Milton Berle in drag, not played for laughs at his interpretation of a flirting female, but his having the laugh on everyone else. -Only Madea/Perry can do this.)

In Madea's world, the "bad" people are obvious and one dimensional, so you know for sure who is going to change by the end of the movie.

In Madea's world, Madea gets the last word, and you want her to.

Look deep into Madea's eyes, & there is nothing but kindness. And that, much more than humor. Yep, Madea is about kindness, which sometimes makes you laugh, sometimes makes you cry, and is often awkward.

Madea's movies are more awkward than clever, because, so are all of us.

In "A Madea Christmas", Tyler Perry pulls back the curtain for a moment, with his own commentary, as Madea, when challenged by a family member as to whose side she is on:
    "I am on the side of right. That's all you need to know."

I think all of Perry's movies make the point, "Cut out the PC and the BS, ya'll, and 'right' ain't really that hard to spot."

1. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Dec 18, 2013
    Rather than rising above the fray, Madea is very much the fray itself.
  2. Reviewed by: Kerry Lengel
    Dec 17, 2013
    A Madea Christmas, for all its narrative shortcomings, also has plenty of laughs.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Dec 16, 2013
    This eighth Madea movie is pretty lame even by Perry’s slapdash standards.