Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas

4.0

1. Dec 14, 2013
    Tyler Perry knows how to make money from movies; my wish is now he'd make a really great movie! His problem is always the same the story board. There are always wonderful moments of genuine laugh-out-loud situations/dialogue but he weighs his films down with predictability (young boy's story) and disbelief (car save and transformation of Conner, oh, and milking a bull.) Enjoyed thisTyler Perry knows how to make money from movies; my wish is now he'd make a really great movie! His problem is always the same the story board. There are always wonderful moments of genuine laugh-out-loud situations/dialogue but he weighs his films down with predictability (young boy's story) and disbelief (car save and transformation of Conner, oh, and milking a bull.) Enjoyed this but won't remember much about it; with his talents he needs to aim for more than a trip to the bank! Expand
  2. Dec 16, 2013
    An absolute step-up from the last Madea flick, which was pretty tough to sit through. Obviously, if you could simply link together nothing but Madea sequences in which she threatens to beat the hell out of some rude idiot, it would be hilarious, but you can't do that. The rest is filler the equivalent of an banal straght-to-cable movie. The supporting cast here includes a few blastsAn absolute step-up from the last Madea flick, which was pretty tough to sit through. Obviously, if you could simply link together nothing but Madea sequences in which she threatens to beat the hell out of some rude idiot, it would be hilarious, but you can't do that. The rest is filler the equivalent of an banal straght-to-cable movie. The supporting cast here includes a few blasts from the past: Larry the Cable Guy, the actress who played Blair Warner on The Facts of Life, and Chad Michael Murray from One Tree Hill. Madea movies are generally fearless in discussing issues of race, and they do it fairly showing that everyone is capable of racism, and everyone is capable of bridging the gap with people who aren't like them. Bottom line: I laughed, and I'll see the next one. Expand
  3. Dec 14, 2013
    I've seen bits and pieces of Tyler Perry's movies on TV, but this is the first time I paid to see Madea on a movie screen. I must admit, I did enjoy it. It's not high art, but it has a good storyline, an appealing cast, and it's entertaining. It was a pleasant diversion on a snowy winter night.
  4. Dec 14, 2013
    Still not feeling the effects from the last 5 Madea movies, I'd say Tyler Perry just felt a little too much pressure on a new holiday-themed Madea movie. A Madea Christmas is pretty funnier than Witness Protection, but still even though it's not a very good Madea movie, but it's probably decent. Maybe I'll wait for a rental but not this holiday season.
  5. Jan 31, 2014
    I'll pretty much see any Madea movie, and my expectations are always at floor level for every scene that doesn't have Madea kicking somebody's ass or threatening to kick somebody's ass. It met my expectations, and had fun with it!
  6. Jan 11, 2014
    All of a sudden, she's the good one??? We all know that Madea is funnier than that and Tyler Perry is just not doing his job properly... The movie also didn't have 'Christmas Spirit'
  7. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In Madea's world, every character is a stereotype, not due to bad writing, acting, or directing, but to get us all past our stereotypes.

In Madea's world, we laugh when she says laugh, at what she says to other characters, but never "at" her. (Think of Milton Berle in drag, not played for laughs at his interpretation of a flirting female, but his having the laugh on everyone else. -Only Madea/Perry can do this.)

In Madea's world, the "bad" people are obvious and one dimensional, so you know for sure who is going to change by the end of the movie.

In Madea's world, Madea gets the last word, and you want her to.

Look deep into Madea's eyes, & there is nothing but kindness. And that, much more than humor. Yep, Madea is about kindness, which sometimes makes you laugh, sometimes makes you cry, and is often awkward.

Madea's movies are more awkward than clever, because, so are all of us.

In "A Madea Christmas", Tyler Perry pulls back the curtain for a moment, with his own commentary, as Madea, when challenged by a family member as to whose side she is on:
    "I am on the side of right. That's all you need to know."

I think all of Perry's movies make the point, "Cut out the PC and the BS, ya'll, and 'right' ain't really that hard to spot."

1. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Dec 18, 2013
    Rather than rising above the fray, Madea is very much the fray itself.
  2. Reviewed by: Kerry Lengel
    Dec 17, 2013
    A Madea Christmas, for all its narrative shortcomings, also has plenty of laughs.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Dec 16, 2013
    This eighth Madea movie is pretty lame even by Perry’s slapdash standards.