Tyrannosaur

7.7

1. Feb 22, 2013
    Paddy Considine is one of my favorite British actors. Several great movies, like "In America" and "Dead Mans Shoes", have shown his great talent. Get ready for his full-length directing debut. Tyrannosaur tells a dark and depressing story about a man plagued by violence and hate. Every little thing can make him explode and he won't hold back. This is a heavy movie. If you're in a bad moodPaddy Considine is one of my favorite British actors. Several great movies, like "In America" and "Dead Mans Shoes", have shown his great talent. Get ready for his full-length directing debut. Tyrannosaur tells a dark and depressing story about a man plagued by violence and hate. Every little thing can make him explode and he won't hold back. This is a heavy movie. If you're in a bad mood or you've just been dumped or anything like that, don't watch it, cause you'll get even more depressed. Also, if you love dogs, you might just skip this one. If you like dark, heavy dramas, you'll find a true gem with this one. I really loved the grim atmosphere in this movie, the very convincing acting and the way everything is filmed. Paddy Considine should definitely keep both acting (he's not in this movie though) and directing cause this man is a true genius. When the ending credits rolled I just sat there staring at the screen with a sad look on my face for a couple of minutes. Which in this case is a good thing cause that's probably exactly what Considine wants. This is a movie I will not easily forget about. Expand
  2. Feb 17, 2013
    I first have to say that the performances are all quite stunning; particularly Olivia Colman. She takes a very measured approach to the role and it comes off perfectly. Peter Mullan was also excellent as Joseph; a great piece of casting as I felt he was ideal for the role. Eddie Marsan plays the abusive and somewhat creepy husband just right and I have to also give a mention to the youngI first have to say that the performances are all quite stunning; particularly Olivia Colman. She takes a very measured approach to the role and it comes off perfectly. Peter Mullan was also excellent as Joseph; a great piece of casting as I felt he was ideal for the role. Eddie Marsan plays the abusive and somewhat creepy husband just right and I have to also give a mention to the young actor Samuel Bottomley, who plays a local boy who Joseph looks out for. I’m sure this young man will have a great future. This is a film that is all about the performances; there are no special effects or fancy camera trickery; it lives or dies on the performances and I have to say (for me at least) it worked to a tee! One of the criteria I use when deciding whether I like a film or not, is the emotional response it generates. And I can honestly say with this one it was all positive. Don’t get me wrong, you are taken all around the houses on the way there, but to end it they way they did I though was just perfect!

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED My score: 9.6/10
  3. Dec 7, 2012
    A good film, slow, dark, and depressing, but well-done. Not much happens in this film, but it features two great performances from Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman.
  4. Jul 1, 2012
    Not a light, happy film to say the least, but one of only a few I've watched recently which has stayed with me for more than a couple of minutes after the credits. The acting was superb, well worth a watch!
  5. Jun 17, 2012
    an amazing movie. due to Paddy Considine great direction ability and his well scripted screneplay. and with two standout performances, Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman (who one of the best performances of the year). it can however be slow at some times, but Colman makes up for that. a highly recommended movie.
  6. Jun 10, 2012
    No dinosaurs. I hadn't seen any previews and I thought a movie named Tyrannosaur would be awesome, this is some crappy chick flick. THERE IS NO TYRANNOSAUR IN THE FILM.
  7. May 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gotta say, this movie was brilliant. But, it hit home for me as well being a domestic violence survivor. I don't often get emotional over movies, this one almost brought some tears. Expand
  8. Apr 14, 2012
    Tyrannosaur stands out, due to it's wonderful and truly raw direction from Paddy Considine. It's written with true passion and it's led by two, utterly and completely ground-breaking performances from Peter Mullan and an exceptionally heart-breaking Olivia Colman.
  9. Apr 7, 2012
    Emotional parabolic arcs from start to finish. Genuinely brimming with sadness, fear and pity while being subtly underlined all along with a sense of impending redemption. Characters whom you can easily identify with and even if you they are not to your liking you will find much of yourself in them. As a directorial début it is exceptional in the conveyance of stark realityEmotional parabolic arcs from start to finish. Genuinely brimming with sadness, fear and pity while being subtly underlined all along with a sense of impending redemption. Characters whom you can easily identify with and even if you they are not to your liking you will find much of yourself in them. As a directorial début it is exceptional in the conveyance of stark reality combined with the constant buzz of anticipation. If you like human tragedy in a slow motion train-wreck then you will most likely love Tyrannosaurus, I did. Expand
  10. Mar 10, 2012
    A powerful and raw drama examining troubled, sick souls who cannot harness their abusive behaviour and therefore cannot find their much sought redemption. Olivia Colman brings a pitch perfect performance which is one of the best I have seen for a long time and together with Paddy Considine's directorial debut is definitely worth many accolades.

1. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Mar 1, 2012
    The movie is cruelly frank about the ways damage cascades down to the powerless, but while it's not for the fainthearted (or for animal lovers), rewards are there.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Jan 26, 2012
    The principals are superb, with Mullan and Colman doing a masterful job of inhabiting their separate but equal prisons.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 1, 2011
    Built as it is around horrifying moments of intimate violence, the stark British drama Tyrannosaur can be a hard movie to watch. At the same time, though, it's hard to stop watching once it gets going.