U-Carmen e-Khayelitsha

7.8

1. KatH
    Jun 20, 2008
    Excellent version of Carmen. It was refreshing to see it from another cultural experience.
  2. BrianO.
    Apr 21, 2007
    I saw this at the Indianapolis International Film Festival last year and the director and star were there - maybe I was star-struck, but I thought it was magnificent and Malefane has a truly lovely voice. May require being an opera fan for some, but I'm not terribly into opera and I loved it. A unique movie-going experience.

1. The film is never dull and often rousing, but this is essentially a conventional version of a classic opera--the attempt to transform it into a critique of macho hubris comes off as an afterthought, and the poverty is just a backdrop.
  2. Brilliantly sung by an extremely talented lyric theater company in Cape Town called Dimpho Di Kopane. Whether this all works will be a matter of opinion -- mine is that it does not -- but the experiment is fascinating.
    This version of Georges Bizet's frequently reinterpreted "Carmen" is spoken and sung in the click-punctuated African lingo of Xhosa and adapted to fit yarn's shift south, with a semi-cinema verite style cleverly disguising the artifice of the work's legit origins.