8.0

1. Aug 8, 2011
    This movie has many different elements but boring it's audience is not one of them. After a second viewing of the film one will see the true masterpiece that is unbreakable
  2. Oct 12, 2013
    Very good movie that can touch you and show you that a movie with a hero doesn't have to be dynamic, full of action and CGI with exploding cities. Its very relaxing, smooth and calm with a good ending.
  3. Sep 5, 2011
    It may not be the best movie from the past eleven years, but for fans of M. Night Shyamalan, this is a very good film.

The premise about a man who survived the train accident and learns that a man who likes comic books and heroes is stalking him was spooky, but very good. The story was a very nice concept, but suffered from a weaker ending. The acting was very solid and the chemistry

The acting was very solid and the chemistry between Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson was well built together and the pacing was very decent.

The suspense was chilling and very satisfying it got me interested to want to know what's going on. The soundtrack from James Newton Howard was a lot of fun I want to check it out soon.

Unbreakable's weaker ending doesn't cover it up, but like The Sixth Sense and Signs, M. Night Shyamalan did his best to give me some scares.

7.3 out of 10
  4. PeterH.
    Feb 10, 2003
    This film is highly underrated and much more better then The Sixth Sense!
  5. GustavoH.R.
    Jan 1, 2004
    Ultimately intelligent. Too complex and unusual for some people: that's why some can't stand it. Unbreakable is a triumph.
  6. PeterN.
    Mar 19, 2007
    A refreshing take on the superhero theme. Not for people who think movies should always happily entertain. Not for the more pretentious art-filmers who can't get out of their own way. Thankfully, It's a movie for anyone inbetween.
  7. Miguel
    Aug 1, 2007
    A modern masterpiece. Great, great movie.
  8. Khalid
    Aug 2, 2006
    Great movie! I wanted to watch it again just to put all the hints in context. [***SPOILERS***] The ending was perfect in tone with comic books and comic book movies. Every superhero needs a villian.
  9. GarvinF.
    Oct 4, 2008
    First, the guy who said 1 hour and 47 minutes of boring... He is no critic... The Motion Picture- Unbreakable, come on... Pure genius, an excellent film for everyone... A superb message for all...
  10. MarcusL.
    Jan 5, 2009
    Not his best movie, but Bruce Willis did do a good job. It was not as good as Sixth Sense, but was just as interesting and also kept you wondering.
  11. RyanM.
    Jun 26, 2001
    Brilliant. Willis and Jackson team up to make a stunning and unfrogettable psycological masterpiece!
  12. DavidC.
    Jun 27, 2001
    Super! With so many films being uninteresting and not fun these days-- it is great to see a movie with some real entertainment value. I thought it was much better than its previews made me anticipate. After seeing it I thought, "wow, that was kooool.".
  13. Beaker
    Aug 15, 2001
    A must see. An estrangement of characters compiles a thoughtfully crafted, well directed theme of life and strengths. This film accuretly portays a society's clash of morals with a personal need of comfort. Alas, our true society will see this as nothing more than a falure due to its lack of blood and intellectual ending. Love this, and learn from it.
  14. EricD.
    Sep 11, 2001
    A refreshing, creative plot...especially if you're tired of the Hollywood ending. Endings don't usually matter to me, but I gave this one an extra point because it could have ended in two different spots. Great movie (special kudos to Samuel L. Jackson).
  15. YoonMinC.
    May 11, 2004
    Superhero genre, while outwardly unbreakable and here to stay, is subverted and dissolved with shyamalan's artfilm treatment, as the flesh of a crab by an octopus. what can't be destroyed thru newtonian physics may be thru chemistry. a sobering contemplation on the dependence and disparity between body and soul.
  16. AmitS.
    Jun 11, 2005
    A unique fusion of comic-book lore and Eastern philosophy provides the best superhero film I have ever seen.
  17. StephenW.
    Jun 21, 2005
    I wanted to give this a lower rating but I did enjoy and would watch it again. M. Night just has a way to ruin a good movie. I did enjoy the concept of it though.
  18. Sam
    May 8, 2006
    Despite the dissapointing but surprising ending, Unbreakable is a triumph, a glorious film that will make you grin with delight.
  19. NateB
    Dec 2, 2007
    This is a great, in-depth movie. While it mostly appeals to people with knowledge about comic books, I think most people can appreciate this film if they're willing to go into it with an open mind and want to actively pay attention to its many story telling devices (e.g. not just dialog, since there's not a lot of it in this movie). A lot of people say the ending is unexpected, This is a great, in-depth movie. While it mostly appeals to people with knowledge about comic books, I think most people can appreciate this film if they're willing to go into it with an open mind and want to actively pay attention to its many story telling devices (e.g. not just dialog, since there's not a lot of it in this movie). A lot of people say the ending is unexpected, but maybe that's because they didn't pay attention. There were many foreshadowing moments like when the color blue was used for both the train ride (even the little girl had bright blue eyes) and for scenes involving a certain someone. Even Elijah's mom tells you straight up, "...this one has a surprise ending." The number 1 standout in this movie, though, is the camera work. Not only does it physically mirror comic book framing, but also mirrors how the framing of a comic book can often times be its own character and story telling device. I think a lot of directors lose sight of this in movies. The show "24" is a good example of how camera work can play a significant role in story telling, especially in seasons 1 and 5. If you like character development, use of colors, cinematography, comic books and are tired of the trashy and overly loud Hollywood marketing junk then give this movie a spin in your DVD player. Expand
  20. Buster
    Aug 31, 2007
    Undoubtedly Shyamalan's most underrated masterpiece. It's brilliant in every way possible. Jackson and Willis probably should have gotten nominated for an Oscar or at least a Golden Globe. It's even better than The Sixth Sense, which is beyond overrated.
  21. BrandonT.
    Jun 27, 2008
    One of Shyamalan's best. Unbreakable is a tale which will appeal to all. A slight touch of a superhero tale mixed with the cunning mind of its director and writer make this movie an excellent addition to any thriller collection. The twist and superb acting are what makes this movie a classic.
  22. RyanK
    May 31, 2009
    Well structured and the usee of complicated cinematic techniques was amazing.
  23. SethB.
    Jun 23, 2001
    This is a very difficult review, yes because of the ending. So what I'll say is this-It's a great ride even if the destination may be a bit too imaginative for some people to swallow. As you see by my score I loved it, I would buy it twice if I could.
  24. Boyd
    Jun 27, 2001
    Not just another Shyamalan film. THE Shyamalan film. Vastly superior to "The Sixth Sense," "Unbreakable" is one of the most haunting, emotional, and thrilling films of all time. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson should be commended. Better than "Superman," "Batman," or any other superhero movie, "Unbreakable" is one of the great films of the decade. The ending, while debated, fits so Not just another Shyamalan film. THE Shyamalan film. Vastly superior to "The Sixth Sense," "Unbreakable" is one of the most haunting, emotional, and thrilling films of all time. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson should be commended. Better than "Superman," "Batman," or any other superhero movie, "Unbreakable" is one of the great films of the decade. The ending, while debated, fits so perfectly with the film that any other ending would be a mistake. This is a great film, a beautiful film, a magically artistic film. See it now, and you'll want to see it again and again. Expand
  25. PaulM.
    Mar 15, 2003
    The movie keeps you very interested except for a few un- necessary scenes. Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson are great and the ending is a doozy and very interesting. Unbreakable will keep you thinking.
  26. Aug 4, 2011
    This is one of the better films by M. Night. Good stuff; compelling idea and great twist. Just overall good acting, plot, and flow. I really hope they make an "Unbreakable 2".
  27. Jan 15, 2011
    This movie is amazing. It is a true story of opposites coming together to separate. Great acting by Bruce Willis and Samuel L Jackson, and great directing by Night. The end leaves you thinking why? why? why? This movie is even better than the sixth sense!
  28. Mar 4, 2011
    Although it was not as good as The Sixth Sense it was still a good movie worthy of me watching it a few times. The twist was very good.
  29. Apr 12, 2014
    Having been involved in a terrible train crash David Dunn awakes in hospital to find that, not only is he is the sole survivor, but that he is completely unharmed. He is soon confronted by an odd stranger who has some peculiar claims about why he was able to survive the crash leading David on a journey to fulfil his destiny.

Making a follow up to the universally acclaimed Sixth Sense

Making a follow up to the universally acclaimed Sixth Sense was always going to be a difficult task but M. Night Shyamalan fully delivers here. Davids transformation from lowly security guard to something much bigger (I wont spoil what) is both fascinating and yet still believable in part thanks to the understated performance of Bruce Willis in the lead role and Samuel L Jackson is as watchable as ever. This of course would not be an M. Night Shyamalan movie if it didn’t have a twist at the end and, while perhaps not quite as clever as The Sixth Sense, it again certainly comes as a surprise.

Often unfairly compared to M. Night Shyamalans debut Unbreakable is an excellent film in its own right that will entertain most who watch it.
  30. Jun 16, 2011
    God, this movie really got to me. I don't know why but I really, really teared up in the end. "They called me mr. Glass". Just wow, amazing performances, well written script and just amazing movie. Must see, even if you don't like comic books [stories].
  31. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    Very underrated film and probably M. Night Shymalan's best film (in which, I know is not saying much). The story is very compelling and thought provoking.
  32. Oct 2, 2011
    i really liked where the plot of this movie went. it gives a realistic approach of typical superhero cliché's.
  33. Jan 10, 2014
    M. Night Shyamalan is filming boring movies with really good ideas, nice actors and awesome ending twists. This movie is a perfect example of my statement.
  34. Nov 28, 2012
    "Unbreakable" is a 2000 M. Night Shyamalan film about David Dunne (Willis), an everyman, who becomes involved in a train wreck that leaves him mysteriously unscathed. With the help of a mysterious man (Jackson), Dunne soon learns that he is, in fact, an extraordinary man with superhuman attributes. Now, I know that the first mention of the name "Shyamalan" nowadays leads many people to"Unbreakable" is a 2000 M. Night Shyamalan film about David Dunne (Willis), an everyman, who becomes involved in a train wreck that leaves him mysteriously unscathed. With the help of a mysterious man (Jackson), Dunne soon learns that he is, in fact, an extraordinary man with superhuman attributes. Now, I know that the first mention of the name "Shyamalan" nowadays leads many people to think, ". . .ew 'The Last Airbender' ". However, there was a time when Shyamalan actually made pretty good movies. This, thankfully, is one of the only 3 he has made. "Unbreakable" is a truly compelling study of the narrative mechanics of comic books. I, being a big nerd who loves comic books, found this movie to be intensely interesting to watch because it clued me into things which I didn't know about them. Like the fact that a villains eyes are always portrayed to slightly bigger than the hero's because it shows that his view on the world is slightly more off-kilter than the hero's. And the fact that the hero's origin is often tied/interconnected with the villain's origin. These are just two of the many interesting concepts of comic book writing that are discussed throughout "Unbreakable". Now make no mistake - this movie isn't a documentary. Yes, it does discuss a lot of the methods comic book writers utilize to convey their very distinct messages, but it does this verbally and nonverbally. This movie maintains a very quiet, yet intensely brooding tone. This tone is amplified by the really somber and mesmerizing performance from Bruce Willis. The cinematography is really intelligently executed, as I found myself saying, "oh that was pretty cool/clever", to a very large amount of this film's shots. The ending could've used some work, but I'm sure with time I can learn to appreciate it. In the end, I found "Unbreakable" to be a very good film that delves deeply into some really cool subject matter. Expand
  35. Mar 9, 2013
    Shyamalan brings back his good directing skills as he creates yet another awesome film. Sixth Sense was better, but there is no doubt that Unbreakable is an unforgettable film.
  36. Jul 5, 2013
    It's not the biggest or longest movie ever, but it wasn't meant to be. Unbreakable is a very good example of how to make a satisfying movie on a small scale. It's atmospheric, intriguing, well acted, and directed with skill and patience. At times it can even be emotionally powerful. It's twist ending could have been handled a little better, but it's far better than most twist endings.It's not the biggest or longest movie ever, but it wasn't meant to be. Unbreakable is a very good example of how to make a satisfying movie on a small scale. It's atmospheric, intriguing, well acted, and directed with skill and patience. At times it can even be emotionally powerful. It's twist ending could have been handled a little better, but it's far better than most twist endings. Even though the movie received mostly positive reviews I still find it to be underrated. It shows that M Knight Shamalan can make a good movie when he really tries. I wonder if he will ever return to form. Expand
  37. Jan 30, 2013
    Like all Shymalan movies Unbreakable moves along at a steady pace, if you are looking for fast paced action then this is not the movie for you. However if you are wanting something that changes and keeps you guessing without being confusing then I would highly recomend this movie.
    Excellent performance from SLJ, Willis plays a similar role to the Sixth Sense.
  38. Jul 10, 2013
    My favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie. This film has the same chilling tone as The Sixth Sense with another great performance by Bruce Willis and an equally strong performance by Samuel L. Jackson.
  39. Aug 1, 2013
    The film develops a tense and engaging atmosphere that seizes the attention of its audience. One major quality the film has is the element of unpredictability which in some instances, creates moments of sheer awe. Also, Willis and Jackson give fantastic performances together, partnering five years after doing so in Die Hard With A Vengeance, and this time, in a more serious and collectedThe film develops a tense and engaging atmosphere that seizes the attention of its audience. One major quality the film has is the element of unpredictability which in some instances, creates moments of sheer awe. Also, Willis and Jackson give fantastic performances together, partnering five years after doing so in Die Hard With A Vengeance, and this time, in a more serious and collected measure that works to perfection. Unbreakable is an entertaining superhero origin tale and the type of film that director M. Night Shyamalan needs to return back to. Expand
  40. May 27, 2014
    It lacks the suspense and creepiness that gives 'The Sixth Sense' its captivating thrills, but this is no way a stepdown. I dare to say it almost matches up with 'Sixth Sense'. The pacing is perfect, the eeriness (a trademark technique of M. Night Shyamalan) succeeds in drawing us in, and the subtle yet alluring acting (particularly Samuel L. Jackson) all adds up to be one of smartest ofIt lacks the suspense and creepiness that gives 'The Sixth Sense' its captivating thrills, but this is no way a stepdown. I dare to say it almost matches up with 'Sixth Sense'. The pacing is perfect, the eeriness (a trademark technique of M. Night Shyamalan) succeeds in drawing us in, and the subtle yet alluring acting (particularly Samuel L. Jackson) all adds up to be one of smartest of superhero movies. Expand
  41. Mar 28, 2015
    Unbreakable isn't a film, It's an experience. An invitation into the mind of It's unique director that presents to us his vision of a mysterious and strange thriller. Unbreakable will engage your brain and keep you thinking to the end because of the insane plot twists and interesting story. This is another success from visionary filmmaker Shyamalan that serves as both a thriller, and aUnbreakable isn't a film, It's an experience. An invitation into the mind of It's unique director that presents to us his vision of a mysterious and strange thriller. Unbreakable will engage your brain and keep you thinking to the end because of the insane plot twists and interesting story. This is another success from visionary filmmaker Shyamalan that serves as both a thriller, and a original work Expand
  42. Nov 22, 2014
    Another great M. Night Shayamalan film. Nice to see two great actors at their best on display in this movie. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson were both brilliant in Unbreakable. This film was very well thought out and everything comes together in the twist ending. This ones a classic.

1. Even the surprise ending arrives with a thud and makes us wonder why Shyamalan didn't try something new instead of recycling his "Sixth Sense" recipe.
    A gloomy, preposterous psychological thriller.
    Even if the ending doesn't entirely succeed, it doesn't cheat, and it comes at the end of an uncommonly absorbing movie.