8.2

1. Jul 26, 2015
    Commendable especially for the well written dialogue and the several long shots throughout. Unbreakable can be slow sometimes, but ultimately is a well acted and performed dramatic thriller.
  2. Jun 8, 2015
    This one was largely pretty disappointing. Though it always manage to entertain and it has your attention the whole time, I was never truly impressed by this one. The acting from Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, and Robin Wright, was good, the child actor was terrible though. The premise was really interesting and came along interestingly. Ultimately, this one felt like an origin story forThis one was largely pretty disappointing. Though it always manage to entertain and it has your attention the whole time, I was never truly impressed by this one. The acting from Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, and Robin Wright, was good, the child actor was terrible though. The premise was really interesting and came along interestingly. Ultimately, this one felt like an origin story for a superhero, so though I almost always against sequels, I am surprised one never arose from this film. Ultimately, this one was alright throughout and was well directed by M. Night Shyamalan, but it was never truly great. The pieces came together interestingly and I was enjoying it enough to give it a better rating, but then the twist ending came and I really started to not like this one. The ending is horrendous and compared to The Sixth Sense where the ending was really quite good, this one just felt forced and stupid. More than that, it felt more far fetched than the whole original premise itself. Really, this one stands as evidence of Shyamalan's eventual demise, as though it is well put together, the unnecessary twist undoes all that was good about the film prior to it. Overall, Unbreakable is a solid film that really does entertain and features some good acting, but the ending is just too bad to forgive and the film prior to the ending is nothing special either. Expand
  3. Mar 28, 2015
    Unbreakable isn't a film, It's an experience. An invitation into the mind of It's unique director that presents to us his vision of a mysterious and strange thriller. Unbreakable will engage your brain and keep you thinking to the end because of the insane plot twists and interesting story. This is another success from visionary filmmaker Shyamalan that serves as both a thriller, and aUnbreakable isn't a film, It's an experience. An invitation into the mind of It's unique director that presents to us his vision of a mysterious and strange thriller. Unbreakable will engage your brain and keep you thinking to the end because of the insane plot twists and interesting story. This is another success from visionary filmmaker Shyamalan that serves as both a thriller, and a original work Expand
  4. Feb 23, 2015
    Bruce Willis seems angry at his wife (he lets go of her hand) ....now hes with an old lady/can't remember the amount of sick days....5 years no sick day....he wants a raise its clear.......on a serious note....thirty five minutes in we see an interesting performance and bruce willis is still throughout....weird to say that bad things can happen at a football game....other than bad halfBruce Willis seems angry at his wife (he lets go of her hand) ....now hes with an old lady/can't remember the amount of sick days....5 years no sick day....he wants a raise its clear.......on a serious note....thirty five minutes in we see an interesting performance and bruce willis is still throughout....weird to say that bad things can happen at a football game....other than bad half time shows and overpaid arrogance....the best thing about this movie is the raincoat makes him seem retarded....why can't there be a man being sexed for once...and a woman to avenge him...I bet I have to make it if i want it..... makes me wonder if I'm retarded........-JRA Expand
  5. Nov 22, 2014
    Another great M. Night Shayamalan film. Nice to see two great actors at their best on display in this movie. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson were both brilliant in Unbreakable. This film was very well thought out and everything comes together in the twist ending. This ones a classic.
  6. Jun 13, 2014
    Unbreakable thinks its smarter than it is, and Shyamalan is so self confident that everything in the movie feels manipulated and forced. In fact, the whole movie seems pointless. Even great actors like Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, and Robin Wright seem wooden and disinterested. Although i will admit this is a great movie for a drinking game. Every time a character mentions being sick,Unbreakable thinks its smarter than it is, and Shyamalan is so self confident that everything in the movie feels manipulated and forced. In fact, the whole movie seems pointless. Even great actors like Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, and Robin Wright seem wooden and disinterested. Although i will admit this is a great movie for a drinking game. Every time a character mentions being sick, drink. Every time Bruce Willis and Robin Wright talk about their sinking marriage, drink. That should be a fun night. Expand
  7. May 27, 2014
    It lacks the suspense and creepiness that gives 'The Sixth Sense' its captivating thrills, but this is no way a stepdown. I dare to say it almost matches up with 'Sixth Sense'. The pacing is perfect, the eeriness (a trademark technique of M. Night Shyamalan) succeeds in drawing us in, and the subtle yet alluring acting (particularly Samuel L. Jackson) all adds up to be one of smartest ofIt lacks the suspense and creepiness that gives 'The Sixth Sense' its captivating thrills, but this is no way a stepdown. I dare to say it almost matches up with 'Sixth Sense'. The pacing is perfect, the eeriness (a trademark technique of M. Night Shyamalan) succeeds in drawing us in, and the subtle yet alluring acting (particularly Samuel L. Jackson) all adds up to be one of smartest of superhero movies. Expand
  8. Apr 12, 2014
    Having been involved in a terrible train crash David Dunn awakes in hospital to find that, not only is he is the sole survivor, but that he is completely unharmed. He is soon confronted by an odd stranger who has some peculiar claims about why he was able to survive the crash leading David on a journey to fulfil his destiny.

Making a follow up to the universally acclaimed Sixth Sense

Making a follow up to the universally acclaimed Sixth Sense was always going to be a difficult task but M. Night Shyamalan fully delivers here. Davids transformation from lowly security guard to something much bigger (I wont spoil what) is both fascinating and yet still believable in part thanks to the understated performance of Bruce Willis in the lead role and Samuel L Jackson is as watchable as ever. This of course would not be an M. Night Shyamalan movie if it didn’t have a twist at the end and, while perhaps not quite as clever as The Sixth Sense, it again certainly comes as a surprise.

Often unfairly compared to M. Night Shyamalans debut Unbreakable is an excellent film in its own right that will entertain most who watch it.
  9. Jan 10, 2014
    M. Night Shyamalan is filming boring movies with really good ideas, nice actors and awesome ending twists. This movie is a perfect example of my statement.
  10. Nov 12, 2013
    Unbreakable exerts incredible mysteriousness.
    Following up The Sixth Sense, Director M. Night Shyamalan succeeds in continuing his enchanting style and creative concepts.
  11. Oct 12, 2013
    Very good movie that can touch you and show you that a movie with a hero doesn't have to be dynamic, full of action and CGI with exploding cities. Its very relaxing, smooth and calm with a good ending.
  12. Aug 1, 2013
    The film develops a tense and engaging atmosphere that seizes the attention of its audience. One major quality the film has is the element of unpredictability which in some instances, creates moments of sheer awe. Also, Willis and Jackson give fantastic performances together, partnering five years after doing so in Die Hard With A Vengeance, and this time, in a more serious and collectedThe film develops a tense and engaging atmosphere that seizes the attention of its audience. One major quality the film has is the element of unpredictability which in some instances, creates moments of sheer awe. Also, Willis and Jackson give fantastic performances together, partnering five years after doing so in Die Hard With A Vengeance, and this time, in a more serious and collected measure that works to perfection. Unbreakable is an entertaining superhero origin tale and the type of film that director M. Night Shyamalan needs to return back to. Expand
  13. Jul 10, 2013
    My favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie. This film has the same chilling tone as The Sixth Sense with another great performance by Bruce Willis and an equally strong performance by Samuel L. Jackson.
  14. Jul 5, 2013
    It's not the biggest or longest movie ever, but it wasn't meant to be. Unbreakable is a very good example of how to make a satisfying movie on a small scale. It's atmospheric, intriguing, well acted, and directed with skill and patience. At times it can even be emotionally powerful. It's twist ending could have been handled a little better, but it's far better than most twist endings.It's not the biggest or longest movie ever, but it wasn't meant to be. Unbreakable is a very good example of how to make a satisfying movie on a small scale. It's atmospheric, intriguing, well acted, and directed with skill and patience. At times it can even be emotionally powerful. It's twist ending could have been handled a little better, but it's far better than most twist endings. Even though the movie received mostly positive reviews I still find it to be underrated. It shows that M Knight Shamalan can make a good movie when he really tries. I wonder if he will ever return to form. Collapse
  15. Mar 9, 2013
    Shyamalan brings back his good directing skills as he creates yet another awesome film. Sixth Sense was better, but there is no doubt that Unbreakable is an unforgettable film.
  16. Feb 23, 2013
    Unbreakable is the legend of a real life superhero brought to you by M. Night Shyamalan. The idea is profoundly unique and the cast is great, but I really didn't like how it turned out. The first half of the movie was awesome, but as Shyamalan movies tend to do, it got weird, in this case too weird. While I love Samuel L. Jackson, his character was just annoying and I didn't reallyUnbreakable is the legend of a real life superhero brought to you by M. Night Shyamalan. The idea is profoundly unique and the cast is great, but I really didn't like how it turned out. The first half of the movie was awesome, but as Shyamalan movies tend to do, it got weird, in this case too weird. While I love Samuel L. Jackson, his character was just annoying and I didn't really consider him a threatening villain. Bruce Willis on the other hand was amazing as usual, but his character was kind of bland. Shyamalan wanted to keep the story as real and believable as possible, but a super hero who just can't get hurt and has no other real powers is just kind of dull. I love the uniqueness of the story, but the film just didn't do much for me. Expand
  17. Jan 30, 2013
    Like all Shymalan movies Unbreakable moves along at a steady pace, if you are looking for fast paced action then this is not the movie for you. However if you are wanting something that changes and keeps you guessing without being confusing then I would highly recomend this movie.
    Excellent performance from SLJ, Willis plays a similar role to the Sixth Sense.
  18. Nov 28, 2012
    "Unbreakable" is a 2000 M. Night Shyamalan film about David Dunne (Willis), an everyman, who becomes involved in a train wreck that leaves him mysteriously unscathed. With the help of a mysterious man (Jackson), Dunne soon learns that he is, in fact, an extraordinary man with superhuman attributes. Now, I know that the first mention of the name "Shyamalan" nowadays leads many people to"Unbreakable" is a 2000 M. Night Shyamalan film about David Dunne (Willis), an everyman, who becomes involved in a train wreck that leaves him mysteriously unscathed. With the help of a mysterious man (Jackson), Dunne soon learns that he is, in fact, an extraordinary man with superhuman attributes. Now, I know that the first mention of the name "Shyamalan" nowadays leads many people to think, ". . .ew 'The Last Airbender' ". However, there was a time when Shyamalan actually made pretty good movies. This, thankfully, is one of the only 3 he has made. "Unbreakable" is a truly compelling study of the narrative mechanics of comic books. I, being a big nerd who loves comic books, found this movie to be intensely interesting to watch because it clued me into things which I didn't know about them. Like the fact that a villains eyes are always portrayed to slightly bigger than the hero's because it shows that his view on the world is slightly more off-kilter than the hero's. And the fact that the hero's origin is often tied/interconnected with the villain's origin. These are just two of the many interesting concepts of comic book writing that are discussed throughout "Unbreakable". Now make no mistake - this movie isn't a documentary. Yes, it does discuss a lot of the methods comic book writers utilize to convey their very distinct messages, but it does this verbally and nonverbally. This movie maintains a very quiet, yet intensely brooding tone. This tone is amplified by the really somber and mesmerizing performance from Bruce Willis. The cinematography is really intelligently executed, as I found myself saying, "oh that was pretty cool/clever", to a very large amount of this film's shots. The ending could've used some work, but I'm sure with time I can learn to appreciate it. In the end, I found "Unbreakable" to be a very good film that delves deeply into some really cool subject matter. Expand
  19. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    Very underrated film and probably M. Night Shymalan's best film (in which, I know is not saying much). The story is very compelling and thought provoking.
  20. Oct 2, 2011
    i really liked where the plot of this movie went. it gives a realistic approach of typical superhero cliché's.
  21. Sep 5, 2011
    It may not be the best movie from the past eleven years, but for fans of M. Night Shyamalan, this is a very good film.

The premise about a man who survived the train accident and learns that a man who likes comic books and heroes is stalking him was spooky, but very good. The story was a very nice concept, but suffered from a weaker ending. The acting was very solid and the chemistry

The acting was very solid and the chemistry between Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson was well built together and the pacing was very decent.

The suspense was chilling and very satisfying it got me interested to want to know what's going on. The soundtrack from James Newton Howard was a lot of fun I want to check it out soon.

Unbreakable's weaker ending doesn't cover it up, but like The Sixth Sense and Signs, M. Night Shyamalan did his best to give me some scares.

7.3 out of 10
  22. Aug 8, 2011
    This movie has many different elements but boring it's audience is not one of them. After a second viewing of the film one will see the true masterpiece that is unbreakable
  23. Aug 4, 2011
    This is one of the better films by M. Night. Good stuff; compelling idea and great twist. Just overall good acting, plot, and flow. I really hope they make an "Unbreakable 2".
  24. Jun 16, 2011
    God, this movie really got to me. I don't know why but I really, really teared up in the end. "They called me mr. Glass". Just wow, amazing performances, well written script and just amazing movie. Must see, even if you don't like comic books [stories].
  25. Mar 4, 2011
    Although it was not as good as The Sixth Sense it was still a good movie worthy of me watching it a few times. The twist was very good.
  26. Jan 15, 2011
    This movie is amazing. It is a true story of opposites coming together to separate. Great acting by Bruce Willis and Samuel L Jackson, and great directing by Night. The end leaves you thinking why? why? why? This movie is even better than the sixth sense!
  27. RyanK
    May 31, 2009
    Well structured and the usee of complicated cinematic techniques was amazing.
  28. MarcusL.
    Jan 5, 2009
    Not his best movie, but Bruce Willis did do a good job. It was not as good as Sixth Sense, but was just as interesting and also kept you wondering.
  29. GarvinF.
    Oct 4, 2008
    First, the guy who said 1 hour and 47 minutes of boring... He is no critic... The Motion Picture- Unbreakable, come on... Pure genius, an excellent film for everyone... A superb message for all...
  30. BrandonT.
    Jun 27, 2008
    One of Shyamalan's best. Unbreakable is a tale which will appeal to all. A slight touch of a superhero tale mixed with the cunning mind of its director and writer make this movie an excellent addition to any thriller collection. The twist and superb acting are what makes this movie a classic.
  31. NateB
    Dec 2, 2007
    This is a great, in-depth movie. While it mostly appeals to people with knowledge about comic books, I think most people can appreciate this film if they're willing to go into it with an open mind and want to actively pay attention to its many story telling devices (e.g. not just dialog, since there's not a lot of it in this movie). A lot of people say the ending is unexpected, This is a great, in-depth movie. While it mostly appeals to people with knowledge about comic books, I think most people can appreciate this film if they're willing to go into it with an open mind and want to actively pay attention to its many story telling devices (e.g. not just dialog, since there's not a lot of it in this movie). A lot of people say the ending is unexpected, but maybe that's because they didn't pay attention. There were many foreshadowing moments like when the color blue was used for both the train ride (even the little girl had bright blue eyes) and for scenes involving a certain someone. Even Elijah's mom tells you straight up, "...this one has a surprise ending." The number 1 standout in this movie, though, is the camera work. Not only does it physically mirror comic book framing, but also mirrors how the framing of a comic book can often times be its own character and story telling device. I think a lot of directors lose sight of this in movies. The show "24" is a good example of how camera work can play a significant role in story telling, especially in seasons 1 and 5. If you like character development, use of colors, cinematography, comic books and are tired of the trashy and overly loud Hollywood marketing junk then give this movie a spin in your DVD player. Expand
  32. Buster
    Aug 31, 2007
    Undoubtedly Shyamalan's most underrated masterpiece. It's brilliant in every way possible. Jackson and Willis probably should have gotten nominated for an Oscar or at least a Golden Globe. It's even better than The Sixth Sense, which is beyond overrated.
  33. Miguel
    Aug 1, 2007
    A modern masterpiece. Great, great movie.
  34. Sasha
    Jun 21, 2007
    Unbreakable It is hard to review this film as a motion picture, because it feels more like TV soap opera on mute. The 1 hour and 47 minutes of boring, predictable and foolish sequences of silence in between unbelievably repetitive dialogue easily make this movie one of the most roll-your-eyes producing films I have ever gone threw. Bruce Willis plays the dull and slow-moving David Dunn, a Unbreakable It is hard to review this film as a motion picture, because it feels more like TV soap opera on mute. The 1 hour and 47 minutes of boring, predictable and foolish sequences of silence in between unbelievably repetitive dialogue easily make this movie one of the most roll-your-eyes producing films I have ever gone threw. Bruce Willis plays the dull and slow-moving David Dunn, a lone and unharmed train wreak survivor who discovers that he is unable to sustain injury. Meanwhile, the emotionally unstable and easily injured Samuel L. Jackson plays the obviously brilliant yet deceiving psycho who thinks comic book heroes walk the earth. The movie unravels from somewhat interesting to boring. It takes most of the movie for what is at hand not to be dealt with, and you find yourself staring at the mysterious situation put forwards simply not breaking through with a much needed common thriller plot twist or breaking point. This is of course, until towards the very end. One central problem with the movie is that it is highly unlikely that one man would go his entire life without tripping or falling and wondering why there was no pain or injury. His mother would not wonder why he never got Chicken Pox? His father would never wonder why his knee did not bleed when he fell on it extremely hard during some catch? His wife would not wonder why when he slipped in the shower and smashed his head on the floor that he did not feel any pain? It just seems so unbelievably silly and impossible for this to happen and for nothing to be realized until a frickin train accident at the age of 40. The movie is essentially unrealistic beyond obvious proportions. The acting performances are easy and have no depth due to the pathetic script handed to the actors only to damage there impressive careers. Put simply, this movie is bad. If you wish to take my advice, avoid it by any means Expand
  35. Sasha
    Jun 20, 2007
  36. PeterN.
    Mar 19, 2007
    A refreshing take on the superhero theme. Not for people who think movies should always happily entertain. Not for the more pretentious art-filmers who can't get out of their own way. Thankfully, It's a movie for anyone inbetween.
  37. KenG.
    Aug 15, 2006
    Intriguing concept, which was really poorly handled.
  38. Khalid
    Aug 2, 2006
    Great movie! I wanted to watch it again just to put all the hints in context. [***SPOILERS***] The ending was perfect in tone with comic books and comic book movies. Every superhero needs a villian.
  39. Sam
    May 8, 2006
    Despite the dissapointing but surprising ending, Unbreakable is a triumph, a glorious film that will make you grin with delight.
  40. StephenW.
    Jun 21, 2005
    I wanted to give this a lower rating but I did enjoy and would watch it again. M. Night just has a way to ruin a good movie. I did enjoy the concept of it though.
  41. AmitS.
    Jun 11, 2005
    A unique fusion of comic-book lore and Eastern philosophy provides the best superhero film I have ever seen.
  42. DanF.
    Feb 23, 2005
    After watching this movie I was at a lose for words. M. Night Shymalan should be crucified. This movie is definitly the skid mark on bruce willis and anyone else involved in the movies' career. This movie made me want to kill myself, it was only about an hour and a half long but it felt like an eternity in hell.
    Jan 12, 2005
    This movie was one of the WORST movies i have ever seen. This movie made me question M Night Shyamalan and his writing skills.
  44. Dunebuggy
    Aug 5, 2004
    This movie took itself way too seriously.
  45. YoonMinC.
    May 11, 2004
    Superhero genre, while outwardly unbreakable and here to stay, is subverted and dissolved with shyamalan's artfilm treatment, as the flesh of a crab by an octopus. what can't be destroyed thru newtonian physics may be thru chemistry. a sobering contemplation on the dependence and disparity between body and soul.
  46. GustavoH.R.
    Jan 1, 2004
    Ultimately intelligent. Too complex and unusual for some people: that's why some can't stand it. Unbreakable is a triumph.
  47. PaulM.
    Mar 15, 2003
    The movie keeps you very interested except for a few un- necessary scenes. Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson are great and the ending is a doozy and very interesting. Unbreakable will keep you thinking.
  48. PeterH.
    Feb 10, 2003
    This film is highly underrated and much more better then The Sixth Sense!
  49. UncleMunkle
    Jan 9, 2003
    zzzzz, zzzzz, snore.... Is it over? Wha' happen? Huh? Duh, ok. Whatever. zzzzz,zzzzz, snore...
  50. JohnC.
    Jan 23, 2002
    PONDEROUSLY slow and overwrought! The movie plays like a WAY overstylized comicbook origin story on Prozak! The audience is given glimpse after glimpse into the glory of something that is perhaps just a bit better than human - but instead of exploring the meaning of Willis' new found abilities or perhaps giving the audience a meaningful demonstration; we are subjected to lonnggg, PONDEROUSLY slow and overwrought! The movie plays like a WAY overstylized comicbook origin story on Prozak! The audience is given glimpse after glimpse into the glory of something that is perhaps just a bit better than human - but instead of exploring the meaning of Willis' new found abilities or perhaps giving the audience a meaningful demonstration; we are subjected to lonnggg, slowww interludes of angst and drama. This story is a posterchild for good editing and directorial focus! Expand
  51. EricD.
    Sep 11, 2001
    A refreshing, creative plot...especially if you're tired of the Hollywood ending. Endings don't usually matter to me, but I gave this one an extra point because it could have ended in two different spots. Great movie (special kudos to Samuel L. Jackson).
  52. Ben
    Aug 27, 2001
    They should have called this film Unwatchable. My sixth sense tells me, "hated it."
  53. Beaker
    Aug 15, 2001
    A must see. An estrangement of characters compiles a thoughtfully crafted, well directed theme of life and strengths. This film accuretly portays a society's clash of morals with a personal need of comfort. Alas, our true society will see this as nothing more than a falure due to its lack of blood and intellectual ending. Love this, and learn from it.
  54. EliC.
    Aug 15, 2001
    A second viewing reveals this film to be empty of meaning.
  55. Maxine
    Jul 30, 2001
    All I can say is what a freaky movie!
  56. Mr.R
    Jul 27, 2001
    A ponderously slow film with a laughable, incredulous ending that neatly wraps up nothing. Which film is the real work of Shaylaman? I hope not this one.
  57. Boyd
    Jun 27, 2001
    Not just another Shyamalan film. THE Shyamalan film. Vastly superior to "The Sixth Sense," "Unbreakable" is one of the most haunting, emotional, and thrilling films of all time. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson should be commended. Better than "Superman," "Batman," or any other superhero movie, "Unbreakable" is one of the great films of the decade. The ending, while debated, fits so Not just another Shyamalan film. THE Shyamalan film. Vastly superior to "The Sixth Sense," "Unbreakable" is one of the most haunting, emotional, and thrilling films of all time. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson should be commended. Better than "Superman," "Batman," or any other superhero movie, "Unbreakable" is one of the great films of the decade. The ending, while debated, fits so perfectly with the film that any other ending would be a mistake. This is a great film, a beautiful film, a magically artistic film. See it now, and you'll want to see it again and again. Expand
  58. DavidC.
    Jun 27, 2001
    Super! With so many films being uninteresting and not fun these days-- it is great to see a movie with some real entertainment value. I thought it was much better than its previews made me anticipate. After seeing it I thought, "wow, that was kooool.".
  59. RyanM.
    Jun 26, 2001
    Brilliant. Willis and Jackson team up to make a stunning and unfrogettable psycological masterpiece!
  60. SethB.
    Jun 23, 2001
    This is a very difficult review, yes because of the ending. So what I'll say is this-It's a great ride even if the destination may be a bit too imaginative for some people to swallow. As you see by my score I loved it, I would buy it twice if I could.

1. Even the surprise ending arrives with a thud and makes us wonder why Shyamalan didn't try something new instead of recycling his "Sixth Sense" recipe.
    A gloomy, preposterous psychological thriller.
    Even if the ending doesn't entirely succeed, it doesn't cheat, and it comes at the end of an uncommonly absorbing movie.