6.4

1. Jan 22, 2015
    I was expecting more from Unbroken, I guess its hard to have high expectations for a director with such little experience. Angelina Jolie is directing her first big film with Unbroken. The movie had a lot of hype but it didn't impress me. The movie was too long and there were long periods of time where nothing exciting was happening. I didn't care much for the cast either. Jack O'ConnellI was expecting more from Unbroken, I guess its hard to have high expectations for a director with such little experience. Angelina Jolie is directing her first big film with Unbroken. The movie had a lot of hype but it didn't impress me. The movie was too long and there were long periods of time where nothing exciting was happening. I didn't care much for the cast either. Jack O'Connell is still a young actor but I felt that his role needed a better performance. Takamasa Ishihara was very strong as the main antagonist in the film. He was certainly good at making me hate him. Overall this film could have been a lot better. Expand
  2. Jan 4, 2015
    Angelina botched this film. It had no inspiration, left out the last part of his life which was what I was looking to see. Instead I was stuck with what seemed like stock war film footage of being stranded at sea and brutality at a Japanese POW camp. How many times have you see that already? Did she run out of budget and couldn't tell the post war part of life? What she did show was flatAngelina botched this film. It had no inspiration, left out the last part of his life which was what I was looking to see. Instead I was stuck with what seemed like stock war film footage of being stranded at sea and brutality at a Japanese POW camp. How many times have you see that already? Did she run out of budget and couldn't tell the post war part of life? What she did show was flat and motionless, no peaks, no valleys. A major disappointment. Expand
  3. Jan 6, 2015
    Louie Zamperini (Jack O’Connell) was an Olympic runner who survived in a raft for 47 days after his plane crashed, then endured 2 years in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp. Through it all, he remained determined to survive. It's important to feel the desperation and suffering in a movie like this, but director Angelina Jolie has taken it to painful extremes, presenting scene after scene ofLouie Zamperini (Jack O’Connell) was an Olympic runner who survived in a raft for 47 days after his plane crashed, then endured 2 years in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp. Through it all, he remained determined to survive. It's important to feel the desperation and suffering in a movie like this, but director Angelina Jolie has taken it to painful extremes, presenting scene after scene of mistreatment. It's effective, but went on way too long. Ultimately, it's about a man's stamina faced with overwhelming odds, but the film lacks the emotional power that would have made the suffering worth it. Expand
  4. Jan 8, 2015
    An uninspiring sluggish film that has corniness written all over it. Jolie rushes through the early life of the man, shows the guy living through hell and ends on a flat note. What Zamperini went through was a tragedy and sadly was the way this film was made.
  5. Apr 27, 2015
    Whoever read the book will not even remotely want to see this movie. So many great moments that I experienced when reading and was hoping to have a good visual and story wise representation to find in this picture. But not even close. The whole movie is visually so clean and nicely made, which fits the theme of world war II, POW and survival not. Then there is the scenes where you awaitWhoever read the book will not even remotely want to see this movie. So many great moments that I experienced when reading and was hoping to have a good visual and story wise representation to find in this picture. But not even close. The whole movie is visually so clean and nicely made, which fits the theme of world war II, POW and survival not. Then there is the scenes where you await for the moments, like when the Japanese zero plane is attacking their raft and they need to fight of the sharks underwater, which were a real threats, oh wait the sharks are just swimming peacefully around. Oh well, how...uninteresting. Some dark shapes in the night and you await a shark to jump on the raft to attack the men....oh no. Also they wouldn't even include the original national anthem of Germany in 1936 and how Louis met Hitler.
    Overall just a complete disgrace of a power full and amazing story. Better spend the next 140 minutes reading nearly a 1/3 of the book which is a lot better use of your time.
  6. Dec 30, 2014
    While a worthy stand alone movie, because we know the book and this man's life story, we also know that the movie, by focusing primarily on survival in a life raft and survival as a POW, misses what "Unbroken" was about. It is a story of strength and weakness of character, of the people who influence our lives, of falling and redemption and falling and redemption.

After surviving the

After surviving the war, Louie begins on a path of drunken ruin when he chances upon a revival tent where Billy Graham, a legendary preacher, is giving a sermon. This sermon starts his recovery from the war and alcoholism and culminates with Louie's trip to Japan to forgive his guards. The "Bird" refuses to see him. That is the end of the movie, Louie's personal growth to become a better person and the "Bird" being trapped in the bitterness of what his life became.

I don't know anything about Billy Graham and can only imagine how powerfully that scene could have been filmed. What cinematic potential! Then watching Louie transform into the man he was to become culminating in the trip to Japan. I am still mourning the loss. What a wasted opportunity.

I would truly like to understand why Angelina Jolie or why the studio committee didn't take this on. Were they afraid of appearing to promote religion? Did they think it would scare away movie viewers? Were they afraid of what others in their community would say about them? Who fought to make this movie properly and who caved in?

Any attempt to say the movie would have been too long is a canard. The time on the raft and scenes in the POW camp were excessive, many not adding to the story. The ending was fabricated to add drama. It's almost like the decision to end the film with the war's end was made later rather than upfront and they had to puff it up to get to a reasonable run time.

Personally in my opinion had they not chickened out, the film would have at a minimum qualified for a Best Picture nomination. How many times in a lifetime do opportunities like this come along?
  7. Dec 27, 2014
    Unbroken is my favorite book ever, so I really didn't expect (my expectations were low.to love the movie.) But I did. I can say that the film exceeded my expectations, and I’m glad that it did. I think you should see it. Really great movie, stunning cast.
  8. Dec 27, 2014
    Shows what the deep hearted love of a family and a physically healthy body can endure so that the mind doesn't snap. Zamperini's heart and body pulled him through and shut out his mind from the incredible daily pain. That comes across in this movie very strongly, he says as much when they first get on the dinghy. The actor, Miyavi , playing the 'Bird' could be up for for best supportingShows what the deep hearted love of a family and a physically healthy body can endure so that the mind doesn't snap. Zamperini's heart and body pulled him through and shut out his mind from the incredible daily pain. That comes across in this movie very strongly, he says as much when they first get on the dinghy. The actor, Miyavi , playing the 'Bird' could be up for for best supporting actor Oscar. Expand
  9. Dec 28, 2014
    As Americans, we are drawn to bravery, courage and heroism. Louis Zamperini has each of these. Angelina Jolie, along with a stellar group of writers, vividly show us how he kept his strength and determination even at the lowest points of his life. Jack O'Connell gives one of the best breakthrough performances in some time.
  10. Dec 27, 2014
    An ambitious but nevertheless overlong effort that frequently (and unfortunately) resorts to cliche, formula and the safe route in favor of taking chances that would have served the picture better. While I certainly don't expect a lot from director Angelina Jolie, I definitely expect something more inventive from the screenwriting Coen Brothers, who seem to have turned uncharacteristicallyAn ambitious but nevertheless overlong effort that frequently (and unfortunately) resorts to cliche, formula and the safe route in favor of taking chances that would have served the picture better. While I certainly don't expect a lot from director Angelina Jolie, I definitely expect something more inventive from the screenwriting Coen Brothers, who seem to have turned uncharacteristically timid here. Louie Zamperini's story is indeed an inspiring tale, one that deserved better treatment than it received here. Expand
  11. Dec 27, 2014
    I have to wonder if the critics were shown a different film? Or is this just the annual SLAM Angelina Jolie event. Any real negatives on this piece are down to the screenwriters . all four of them. IMO it is a stunning and top-notch film!
  12. Dec 27, 2014
    It took 55 years to get this movie done, and it took a woman to do it. The movie affects you strongly, if you have empathy. I understood the flashbacks. It reinforced what made Louis cope with his many bad situations. The bad reviews have to do with a story that not everyone thinks needs to be told, unless more of the bad stuff is left out, which it can't be. It's a story about what theIt took 55 years to get this movie done, and it took a woman to do it. The movie affects you strongly, if you have empathy. I understood the flashbacks. It reinforced what made Louis cope with his many bad situations. The bad reviews have to do with a story that not everyone thinks needs to be told, unless more of the bad stuff is left out, which it can't be. It's a story about what the human spirit can endure. Most of us can't take it. That's the point of the story, and some people don't get it. Expand
  13. Jan 25, 2015
    This movie was quite good. It ends at the end of the war, and that's where this movie should have ended. Some people wanted to delve into the guys aftermath where he battled alcoholism and all that stuff, but that would have made this movie 6 hours long, and no one in their right mind would have sat through a movie that was all that.

This movie was a good movie and is worth seeing.

This movie was a good movie and is worth seeing. Angelina Jolie did a great job as this was her first movie. You can't tell. It was excellent.
  14. Jan 1, 2015
    A film that looks great and is well worth your time. There were some moments that were inspiring, but many times I felt the film was lacking the soul that the source material was going for. In the end this is a good film that I wanted to be great. B+
  15. Jan 30, 2015
    The worst part about Unbroken is just how mediocre it is. Such a hero deserves a film less interested in trying to get its director an Oscar, and more interested in doing its hero justice.
    Unbroken is unmemorable. 5/10
  16. Feb 9, 2015
    I thought this would be a very interesting movie, but it is far from entertaining, and it is far too long and the pacing is far to slow. There are a lot of scenes that just don't need to be in the film, there is to much padding. It feels like a hundred other films that have been done before and this is one of the worst of its type. Very disappointing movie. Probably should have goneI thought this would be a very interesting movie, but it is far from entertaining, and it is far too long and the pacing is far to slow. There are a lot of scenes that just don't need to be in the film, there is to much padding. It feels like a hundred other films that have been done before and this is one of the worst of its type. Very disappointing movie. Probably should have gone straight to DVD. Expand
  17. Dec 29, 2014
    "Unbroken" tells a true story worth commemorating. It's ambitious, passionate, harrowing, often rousing and immaculate filmmaking, directed with vigour by Angelina Jolie, well-acted (particularly by Jack O'Connell and Miyavi; their interactions are mesmerising) and gorgeously shot by cinematography veteran Roger Deakins. It would have benefited from a more in-depth treatment and picking up"Unbroken" tells a true story worth commemorating. It's ambitious, passionate, harrowing, often rousing and immaculate filmmaking, directed with vigour by Angelina Jolie, well-acted (particularly by Jack O'Connell and Miyavi; their interactions are mesmerising) and gorgeously shot by cinematography veteran Roger Deakins. It would have benefited from a more in-depth treatment and picking up the pace a little, but the film is certainly not a bore (at least not in my opinion) and it is most certainly worth watching. Expand
  18. Jan 1, 2015
    I never thought that academy award winner Angelina Jolie can direct a magnificent dark true story into a major motion picture. Jolie directs her second film, however i did not see her first gut-wrenching film " In the land of blood and honey" but she gets back into the war genre and directs it so beautifully. Her directorial debut was not a success on Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes alsoI never thought that academy award winner Angelina Jolie can direct a magnificent dark true story into a major motion picture. Jolie directs her second film, however i did not see her first gut-wrenching film " In the land of blood and honey" but she gets back into the war genre and directs it so beautifully. Her directorial debut was not a success on Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes also metacritic users but she won awards. But this movie however isn't like her first film, its like the under ratted version of it though. I have been reading the novel of Unbroken (Louie Zamperini's story) but to be honest the story kinda bored me a little bit but it is has it's entertaining moments. Jack O' Connell as Louie is a shockingly good and outstanding performance and so as Miyavi's devilish performance as Wannabe. This film and This true story shocked me and haunted me throughout and it's entertaining vibe and Jolie gives that to the movie goer. Expand
  19. Jan 10, 2015
    Over all, it was quite an excellent movie. I really enjoyed watching it. Although the only thing wrong with it is that it feels too short. They mainly focused on when his bomber crashed and his life as a PoW. They didn't show much of his life pre-WW2, and they barely showed any of his life after it. I definitely would see this movie easily being 3 or even 4 hours long if they focused moreOver all, it was quite an excellent movie. I really enjoyed watching it. Although the only thing wrong with it is that it feels too short. They mainly focused on when his bomber crashed and his life as a PoW. They didn't show much of his life pre-WW2, and they barely showed any of his life after it. I definitely would see this movie easily being 3 or even 4 hours long if they focused more on his life out of the war, when he was growing up to build some sort of background and extra feelings for the protagonist, and really feel sorry for him and his family when he went MIA. Also, when he returned and how he lived his life as a war hero with all the fame. It was an excellent movie, but not perfect. Expand
  20. Apr 4, 2015
    How do you take a story as dramatic as Louis Zamperini's and turn it into a borefest? Hell if I know, but Angelina Jolie has the secret! Stolid, tedious, she has turned his 'chockful of incredible incidents' life story into an interminable, dramatically inert TV movie.

The acting (which was much praised by the critics) is inept. The lead actor is devoid of charisma or talent. Boring. Apparently, he's a Brit. Which goes to show the UK can produce mediocre actors too - so why are they getting work?
  21. Dec 29, 2014
    The "critics" can shove it where the sun don't shine. I don't understand how you give a movie based on the real life events of an American hero a bad rating. Do yourself a favor and see this movie. Kuddos to Jolie for creating a movie in the spirit of Louie himself. I don't recall a curse word in this movie which is remarkable in and of itself. Is there violence...yes but no where NEARThe "critics" can shove it where the sun don't shine. I don't understand how you give a movie based on the real life events of an American hero a bad rating. Do yourself a favor and see this movie. Kuddos to Jolie for creating a movie in the spirit of Louie himself. I don't recall a curse word in this movie which is remarkable in and of itself. Is there violence...yes but no where NEAR what we see in the likes of other movies. If you've seen Saving Private Ryan you can see this as it doesn't even come remotely close to that. Most of the violent nature is insinuated and not really show (i.e. they will show The Bird swinging a cane but won't actually show him making contact). This movie is a must see for the story of it. Surviving 40+ days at sea followed by years of abuse in a POW camp is unthinkable to me and just makes one realize exactly how amazing the soldiers of the great world wars were! I gave it a 9 only because I could have sat another 15 minutes and enjoyed a little more on his life after the war. Expand
  22. Jan 13, 2015
    An eye opening and captivating movie, Unbroken is a true story that really makes you think about human race on a deeper level, check it out i personal really enjoyed it and i know you will too.
  23. Dec 30, 2014
    The real life story of this man is sugar coated in such a painfully bad movie. After reading the book several times, it has become one of my all time favorite books. This movie did such a disservice to the book and to the real life events that Jolie should be ashamed to even call herself a director. This film had the source material to be one of the greatest films of recent history, yetThe real life story of this man is sugar coated in such a painfully bad movie. After reading the book several times, it has become one of my all time favorite books. This movie did such a disservice to the book and to the real life events that Jolie should be ashamed to even call herself a director. This film had the source material to be one of the greatest films of recent history, yet failed to offer any characterization or depth to just about every aspect of the film. Expand
  24. Dec 25, 2014
    It's handsomely mounted, well-cast, it looks so great . and it certainly conveys a true story worth telling. cinematographer Roger Deakins is exellent.
  25. Dec 27, 2014
    This is a "we've been here before" movie, so I hoped Jolie would give us "Zamperini the complex," and instead we get "Zamperini the stoic." My guess is this movie works for those who don't know his amazing life. Those of us who do know he was a tough nut, a great runner whose career was cut short by war, and ruined by it. Broken, he resurrected himself through religion, but only afterThis is a "we've been here before" movie, so I hoped Jolie would give us "Zamperini the complex," and instead we get "Zamperini the stoic." My guess is this movie works for those who don't know his amazing life. Those of us who do know he was a tough nut, a great runner whose career was cut short by war, and ruined by it. Broken, he resurrected himself through religion, but only after skirting too long with self destruction, a poster boy for massive PTSD, courtesy of war and the sociopaths it breeds. What we get from Jolie is a hagiography of stoicism. We see the toughness, we just don't see the turmoil. Expand
  26. Dec 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Read the book, the movie doesn't do it justice.
    For a chronicle of a war, the movie skips over some of the book, and also highlights some rather small points (or gives the audience an appearance of a highlight).
    Anyway, it already seemed difficult to get through the book in one sitting (as there are three/four distinct parts), but a movie seemed to try and blend these parts together (namely the path to the Olympics and air combat). This seemed a bit forced, but I guess you have to make compromises when making a movie.
    In summary, worth a rent (if you like WWII / biography). I would see Interstellar (if its still in theaters) or the Hobbit if you looking to go to the theater. Sad really, I was looking forward to this movie, but left the theater disappointed.
  27. Dec 28, 2014
    When hollywood directors are out of ideas, they turn to inspiring and critically acclaimed biographies, Angelina Jolie is a culprit of such. Unbroken, the true story of Louis Zamperini- who was a famous Olympic runner who survived on a lifeboat for 40 days and taken as a prisoner at a Japanese camp. Sadly, even with the premise here, it's not a good movie. Jack O Connell does a good job,When hollywood directors are out of ideas, they turn to inspiring and critically acclaimed biographies, Angelina Jolie is a culprit of such. Unbroken, the true story of Louis Zamperini- who was a famous Olympic runner who survived on a lifeboat for 40 days and taken as a prisoner at a Japanese camp. Sadly, even with the premise here, it's not a good movie. Jack O Connell does a good job, his performance is very praising. But the supporting cast is not even there, as Jolie never sheds light on them. The cinematography is slightly on the okay side but the music is lifting. The story is not as inspiring as the book and it falls flat and stretches during the climax. Overall, rent it if you LOVED the book, otherwise beware: it's not THAT good. Expand
  28. Dec 28, 2014
    Chapter 1 of this movie could have been called "Angelina Jolie Does "Chariots of Fire." Chapter 2: "Angelina Jolie Does "Castaway." Chapter 3: "Angelina Jolie Does "Bridge on the River Kwai." Chapter 4: "Angelina Jolie Does "Flags of Our Fathers."

Completely derivative, boring, uninspiring and way, way, way too long (and did I say cliched?). Skip it or wait for Netflix.
  29. Dec 27, 2014
    If you like to watch a guy get hit with a stick, by all means go out and watch this movie. If you don't like watching a guy get hit with a stick, stay very far away. Overall, this movie was very frustrating to watch. Scenes were dragged out making the movie a lot longer than it needed to be, particularly a raft scene and a pow camp scene. I mean, how many times can you get hit with a stickIf you like to watch a guy get hit with a stick, by all means go out and watch this movie. If you don't like watching a guy get hit with a stick, stay very far away. Overall, this movie was very frustrating to watch. Scenes were dragged out making the movie a lot longer than it needed to be, particularly a raft scene and a pow camp scene. I mean, how many times can you get hit with a stick before we just tire of it and beg for the movie to end. Sure it may be a true story, but I'm quite positive there were some embellishments and exaggerations to make it more movie worthy. It's mostly a story of struggle and physical torment, and the ending just left me wondering why did they even bother making this into a movie. Expand
  30. Dec 28, 2014
    Typical Oscar bait. It is a good adventure though. Well thought out and executed with great visuals. I found the "Where are they now" text at the end of the movie to be the most interesting part though. I would of wanted to see that movie instead.
  31. Jan 14, 2015
    Unbroken fires all cylinders onto the audience to mount a sense of discomfort. The shocking truth and amazing direction leaves me amazed that 2015 has already delivered the goods. Unbroken stands above many in it's genre and provides viewers with a deep hearten story that is sure to give you shivers down your spin. To top it off the excellent cast forms a overall movie of the year materielUnbroken fires all cylinders onto the audience to mount a sense of discomfort. The shocking truth and amazing direction leaves me amazed that 2015 has already delivered the goods. Unbroken stands above many in it's genre and provides viewers with a deep hearten story that is sure to give you shivers down your spin. To top it off the excellent cast forms a overall movie of the year materiel and ensures us war never changes! Unbroken is your go to block buster of 2015. Expand
  32. Apr 1, 2015
    Like some reviewers said, this is a series of scenes throughout Zamperini's life. Unfortunately Angelina Jolie fails on providing any storyline except that one thing happens after another. This guy's life is an incredible story but telling it requires more than just the regurgitation of facts. Too bad, he deserved more than this. She is definitely not a good director.
  33. Jan 7, 2015
    It is Extraordinary! Angelina Jolie is taking the world by the storm with this directorial effort; Unbroken indeed has that Clint Eastwood-Steven Spielberg sense of direction, clearly Angie has been taking notes.
  34. Dec 31, 2014
    I have to admit, no matter what movie Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt star or produce, we will go see it. All of us who like their movies are helping so many people in need because of Angelina's and Brad's causes. Who better to support? However so far, all of their movies are worth watching because they're inspirational and teach us lessons in humanity. As to "Unbroken," this gives us a hero.I have to admit, no matter what movie Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt star or produce, we will go see it. All of us who like their movies are helping so many people in need because of Angelina's and Brad's causes. Who better to support? However so far, all of their movies are worth watching because they're inspirational and teach us lessons in humanity. As to "Unbroken," this gives us a hero. Most of us could not withstand what Louis went through. We would love it if there's a "Part Two." This would be about everything else Louis did that was not mentioned in the movie as strongly as his suffering was. That Louis misbehaved a lot, yet achieved redemption. That's another side of the same story. Movies need drama to make them interesting, so I know Angelina focused on what affects people, the drama. But we'd still like to see part 2 even if it doesn't have as much drama. It could almost be a comedy because Louis was quite a character. Expand
  35. Lyn
    Jan 3, 2015
    So hard to do justice to a great book, but I thought it was pretty good. Louie Zamperini's abuse in the POW camp was tough to watch, but it was tough to read about, too. (Not to mention, how did he live through it?!) Have to agree w/ critics who wished his postwar life had gotten some screen time -- but that whole other saga could have added another couple of hours to the film.
  36. Jan 24, 2015
    Unbroken is a film that would’ve worked better as a miniseries. While the film has some great moments that were well done, nicely adapted, and gripping especially in the first third, there are other moments that either glossed over or omitted entirely preventing the film from having the kick it needs. Its frustrating when some parts of the film are executed really well and other times theUnbroken is a film that would’ve worked better as a miniseries. While the film has some great moments that were well done, nicely adapted, and gripping especially in the first third, there are other moments that either glossed over or omitted entirely preventing the film from having the kick it needs. Its frustrating when some parts of the film are executed really well and other times the film is screaming “Notice Me, Nominate Me, Oscars where we come.” Had the filmmakers been more focused on making a good movie for the sake of making a good movie and not going for the gold and/or if the film had been a miniseries it could’ve been great and fleshed out the characters and effectively told the story. As it is, its alright. I didn’t feel like I had completely wasted my time although I do wish I had been able to see American Sniper. In a month where Hollywood tends to give me garbage I’m glad that there was something out there I could see and get something out of. People who haven’t read the book will be able to follow the film ok and might enjoy it more without familiarity with the story. This is a depressing, interesting, and important aspect of World War II and its nice that so many people are being exposed to. If you have read the book though and are a fan of the story, you’ll be disappointed at the alternations and omissions made that prevent the film from being as great as it could’ve been. In all seriousness though if you are curious read the book its really good. As for the movie its ok. It was engaging and wasn’t a waste of my time but I’m probably not going out of my way to see it again and I’m not going to highly recommend it either. Check it out if you are interested but if you’ve read the book, lower your expectations. Expand
  37. Jan 6, 2015
    This movie definitely deserves a positive review. It's a mixture of everything good: It relateable on a historical level, personal level, emotional and spiritual level. I won't say more, but that the movie is worth seeing.
  38. May 12, 2015
    Angelina shows real talent in her second film as director. Based on the true events surrounding Louie Zampirini during WW2, "Unbroken" acts a testament to human strength and willpower. It shows that even during the worst of scenarios so long as one can persevere they can overcome. Or, as the film puts it, "if you can take it you can make it."

The horror of his captivity in a Japanese

The horror of his captivity in a Japanese POW camp as well as the hopelessness of being lost at sea. It's resourcefulness and shear strength that kept him going and it's just uplifting to watch. It doesn't show anything about how these events effected him after the war. Instead it chooses to focus on the more empowering aspects of his story.

What might be Jolie's biggest success with this movie is in the casting of newcomer Jack O'Connell as the lead. He might not show the necessary emotions during some of the earlier scenes, but as the events kick off we see him play a character who is weary and withered, but somehow still strong to near-perfection.

It's a war drama that takes place during a familiar period, but still manages to be fresh and enjoyable thanks to a great story. Some might find disappointment in the fact that it doesn't capture all of the man's life, but if you keep in mind this is meant to be both a biographical movie as well as one meant for entertaining a wider audience then you should still enjoy it.

I give "Unbroken" a 9.2/10.
  39. Jan 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was telling everyone I know - read the book before you see the movie - as I knew there would be large chunks of the story left untold - if for no other reason that the time limits of average films. I was certain that some of the more subliminal plot points of Louie's story would be left behind - and they were.

The book tells the true story of Louis Zamperini. As a child he was known as the Torrance terror - always getting into trouble - then as a young adult he discovered he could run - and run fast with some training - which turned him into an Olympic athlete. After the Olympics Louie was drafted into WW2 and eventually went missing after their plane was lost at sea. He and his surviving crew members miraculously endured more than 40 days on a raft before they were "rescued" by Japanese soldiers who took them to prison camp and tortured them relentlessly. After the war was over Louie came back home and suffered from PTSD until he ..... ( the movie skips everything after the return to America and thus misses the glue that brings the moral and spiritual conclusion of the story - That Louie was never alone and that God had been watching over him the whole time - Louie went on to forgive his captors, start a camp for troubled boys and became an inspirational speaker for many)

So the problem of this film is it only tells part of the story. In my opinion there should have been part one and two - part one could have covered everything from his childhood to the raft -(you'd have to go back for part 2 after that) and part 2 could have covered everything from the raft to the boys camp. There's still an opportunity for someone else to tell part 2 of the difficulty of the POWs returning to civilian life. A good movie but not the great one it should have been
  40. May 25, 2015
    This is a terrible movie. The plot is roughly divided in two parts: the first third of the story is about Zamperini surviving a plane crash and the remaining two thirds are extremely repetitive scenes of him suffering at the end of a sadistic Japanese camp warden. Both parts seem to drag on forever, the part in the prison camp being particularly bad and nothing more than the same sceneThis is a terrible movie. The plot is roughly divided in two parts: the first third of the story is about Zamperini surviving a plane crash and the remaining two thirds are extremely repetitive scenes of him suffering at the end of a sadistic Japanese camp warden. Both parts seem to drag on forever, the part in the prison camp being particularly bad and nothing more than the same scene played differently time and again. In the end, the movie is in itself a torture inflicted to the viewer by an over hyped, mediocre director. Expand
  41. Jun 11, 2015
    La historia de Louis Zamperini esta bien redactada, pero la dirección no termina por anclar con el público, la emotividad no debería ser tan forzada, pasable para la primera película dirigida por Angelina Jolie.
  42. Jan 18, 2015
    After a relatively slow and uninteresting start, that is both trite and dull, UNBROKEN really takes off and becomes quite a stunner. The film does something so rare--combining the horror of war as experienced by it's victims and the victimization of it's villains. This brutal film, does an astonishing job of depicting both the courage of man and our petty evil. Angelina Jolie has made aAfter a relatively slow and uninteresting start, that is both trite and dull, UNBROKEN really takes off and becomes quite a stunner. The film does something so rare--combining the horror of war as experienced by it's victims and the victimization of it's villains. This brutal film, does an astonishing job of depicting both the courage of man and our petty evil. Angelina Jolie has made a fine and complex film that seems glossy and "Hollywood" on the surface but is actually something quite different underneath. Like Jolie's first film, THE LAND OF BLOOD AND HONEY, there is a humanity so strong it will haunt you. Expand
  43. May 10, 2015
    The first part of this tragedy begins by having a first time director, Angelina Jolie, direct this incredible story. This is an epic story and even a highly experienced director would have struggled. She managed to leave off perhaps the most important part of the story - what happened to Louie after the war. Perhaps she ran out of time or money or perhaps she didn't agree with that part.The first part of this tragedy begins by having a first time director, Angelina Jolie, direct this incredible story. This is an epic story and even a highly experienced director would have struggled. She managed to leave off perhaps the most important part of the story - what happened to Louie after the war. Perhaps she ran out of time or money or perhaps she didn't agree with that part. Most of the scenes were simply way over acted which made intense scenes seem almost comical. Overall, a huge disappointment. Expand
  44. Jan 18, 2015
    As a fan of uncensored war movies, I went into this one with a positive mindset. That quickly went away after the raft scene. Or scense. That's the problem with this movie is that it acts like it has to little material to work with and lags on for far too long. Yes, we know that they were on the raft and in the camps for a long time. But we don't have to sit with them for every minute theyAs a fan of uncensored war movies, I went into this one with a positive mindset. That quickly went away after the raft scene. Or scense. That's the problem with this movie is that it acts like it has to little material to work with and lags on for far too long. Yes, we know that they were on the raft and in the camps for a long time. But we don't have to sit with them for every minute they went through to get that across to us.
    This movie had heart, but was to strung out with not enough excitement for me to recommend.
  45. Mar 26, 2015
    While Angelina Jolie's well acted Unbroken is a powerful portrayal of war, the movie is incohesive and fails to differentiate itself from other similar biopic.
  46. Apr 2, 2015
    "Unbroken" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Unbroken" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: An interesting true story that is well acted. Jack O'Connell was especially great in bringing former Olympian turned POW, Louie Zamperini, to the big screen. From happy-go-lucky, to broken, to resilient and defiant ... O'Connell runs the gamut of emotions and pulls it off brilliantly. Assisting O'Connell along the way is a great cast. Domhnall, Garrett Hedlund, and Miyavi were fantastic.

The Bad: Unfortunately, the film starts to buckle under it;s own weight. Just over halfway through, it slows to a crawl and becomes far less interesting. I was less fascinated with the story at this point and found myself just wanting to skip to the film's conclusion. It's a shame too because this is where the story itself should have really taken off ... but it didn't.
  47. Jan 14, 2015
    A moving and (in the end) very uplifting story; however, for the length of the movie it missed a lot of the book and more good points of the driving message. Everything about the film was powerful and great, but being adapted from a book with a much bigger story and message I think the film should had included more especially for it's long run time. Defiantly worth the watch but readersA moving and (in the end) very uplifting story; however, for the length of the movie it missed a lot of the book and more good points of the driving message. Everything about the film was powerful and great, but being adapted from a book with a much bigger story and message I think the film should had included more especially for it's long run time. Defiantly worth the watch but readers of the book will be left disappointed knowing the film only brushes on the Olympic section then moves full focus to being stranded in the ocean followed by life in a POW camp. Expand
  48. Jan 1, 2015
    I hate when a movie hits you over the head with it's message and tells you how to feel. Unbroken does this with obvious dialogue and overly dramatic music and acting. The dramatic climax came off laughably cheesy. Lots of people will like this movie because it plays to the center of what people like, but it could have been so much more.
  49. Dec 31, 2014
    In spite of this film's good cinematography and score, and a compelling true story, it never fully pulled me in. It's as though you're waiting for some sort of relief that doesn't come until the very, very, very end, and, by that time, your exhausted. Perhaps this was intentional, but it didn't work for me. Wait for discount theater or home release.
  50. Jan 4, 2015
    All right,
    All right,
    I'm going to write this as joe/Jo moviegoer. I thought it was a really good film. The movie followed the book pretty well and thus it told a great story. I don't understand some critics comment on Ms Jolie concentrating too much on cruelty--that's a large part of what Zamperini's experience is about . I was never bored during this long movie. In the theater in which I saw the movie, the audience spontaneously applauded at the end. So if you're an average moviegoer like me, you'll probably enjoy the movie.
  51. Jan 8, 2015
    Like most films adapted from books if you read the book your reaction to the movie will be much different than had you not read it. I myself hadn't read the book and felt mixed about the film. At times it comes off way too cliche and comes off a bit forced, especially towards the beginning. The writing is definitely lacking which is incredibly surprising considering the scribes. As theLike most films adapted from books if you read the book your reaction to the movie will be much different than had you not read it. I myself hadn't read the book and felt mixed about the film. At times it comes off way too cliche and comes off a bit forced, especially towards the beginning. The writing is definitely lacking which is incredibly surprising considering the scribes. As the movie progresses and less dialogue is spoken the film improves immensely and becomes quite enjoyable. It's definitely not one of the best films of 2014 but will leave you feeling encouraged and motivated which seemed to be lacking this year. Expand
  52. Jan 10, 2015
    I was very moved by the film and came out of the theator in tears. I thought of my father and the veterans he would meet for coffee in the morning and swap war stories. I understand now. Those veterans shared with each other things that they were reluctant to share with others who could not understand. My only concern was that the hair and beards rarely grew! I would think their headsI was very moved by the film and came out of the theator in tears. I thought of my father and the veterans he would meet for coffee in the morning and swap war stories. I understand now. Those veterans shared with each other things that they were reluctant to share with others who could not understand. My only concern was that the hair and beards rarely grew! I would think their heads would be shaved in a POW camp because of lice. But the emaciation of the actors was powerful! Expand
  53. Jun 23, 2015
    When I heard that this film was directed by Angelina Jolie, I had my doubts about how good it could get to be, knowing her much more for being an actress than a director. But when I finally watched, all my doubts were erased, because this movie is pretty good. It tells the true story of a young man that, being an Olympic athlete, was caught and retained as a war prisoner by Japan in theWhen I heard that this film was directed by Angelina Jolie, I had my doubts about how good it could get to be, knowing her much more for being an actress than a director. But when I finally watched, all my doubts were erased, because this movie is pretty good. It tells the true story of a young man that, being an Olympic athlete, was caught and retained as a war prisoner by Japan in the World War II; and all the things that he had to put up to being there.
    Now, first, the acting was fantastic. The main character really did his job pretty well, but not only him, but everyone in the movie had an incredible performance. The film is beautifully shot, has some nice special effects when necessary, and it actually is very realistic in many aspects. Though, some scenes that were supposed to be really fascinating were actually slow. The reason of this is the fact that in some parts, this movie lacks of a very good soundtrack. I didn’t really like this, but it doesn’t happen for a very big part of the entire runtime.
    Angelina Jolie didn’t disappoint me, she really showed that she is director material and I hope she keeps directing movies like this one. It has its flaws, but in general the story is great, very well told.
  54. Jan 17, 2015
    If you watch the movie "Unbroken" or read the book, think about the torture of POWs by Japanese in WWII employed similar methods to those used by the US at Guantanamo.
    For over 200 years, the US did not torture. Then Cheney and Rumsfeld took over.
  55. JPJ
    Jan 17, 2015
    A very competent movie that takes you through the endurance and resilience required to survive. Very well shot and smooth editing. Maybe a bit long but ultimately achieves its goal.
  56. Jan 25, 2015
    Book was very captivating. Movie not so much. Way too much time spent with Japanese beating the daylights out of the hero. Over and over again. Very patriotic, but, very tedious.
  57. Feb 2, 2015
    This is a great movie. If you enjoy old fashion movies you will like this. It has long scenes and very intense ones. It helps put what it was like in this war in perspective. since its only pg-13 they couldnt really show what it was like over there but they did a good job.
  58. Feb 19, 2015
    My girlfriend wanted to watch this and so I did so reluctantly and was quite surprised. As Jack O'Connell who I don't particularly like because in most films he plays a young man who gets angry and breaks things actually did a decent job in this role and was enjoyable throughout the film.

The film has its ups and its downs with some scenes being incredibly boring and others which are entertaining but all in all its a good film to watch but could have been done a lot better
  59. Mar 10, 2015
    If I Can Take It, I Can Make It. True words of wisdom right they.

Unbroken is a true story about a Olympian and war hero Louis "Louie" Zamperini played by (Jack O'Connell) who, along with two other crewmen, survived in a raft for 47 days after a near-fatal plane crash in WWII-only to be caught by the Japanese Navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp. Unbroken is directed by the Oscar
    If I Can Take It, I Can Make It. True words of wisdom right they.

Unbroken is directed by the Oscar wining actress Angelina Jolie, and this isn't the first she directed a film, yeah she directed one Documentary I think and she also did a film called "In the Land of Blood and Honey", and what I heard these two films she did (Even the Documentary) was slammed and hated by everyone. I haven't really seen those two films (And I never will) but now she directs Unbroken and I can safely say that this movie was... okay. Not amazing. Not bad, just a simple okay. I know it's not very inspiring words "it's Okay", but I being really honest here. If you ask me in person what I thought of this movie, I will say "It's okay".

The Good: 2014 was the year for amazing cinematography and this movie has some gorgeous Cinematography. It's the same guy who did the Cinematography for Skyfall and this guy knows he to make my eyes melt every time I watch a film and his doing the Cinematography. There was many times where I said to myself "How the hell did there get that shot", I know they used CG for some parts but for the parts that they didn't was CG was truly Oscar worthy Cinematography.

Jack O'Connell is a true rising star so far in his career. In this movie he deliverers a fantastic and heart hitting performance and I like the fact that he showed all the pain, sadness and tiredness in his eyes in this movie, that made me feel sorry for this guy. Jack O'Connell played Louis Zamperinin so terrifically well that I wonder what else he's doing next after this because I what to see this guy in other films.

Now let's talk about Angelina Jolie taking the directors chair. I know for a fact that Jolie had full respect for Louis. I sawed it photos and interviews, how she looked up to this man has her inspiration, and she directed this movie pretty good if I must say. She didn't directed this movie in a way that it feels to much like a Hollywood cash grab, no I can look at this movie and call it a war film and that's that. Unbroken to me might be a step up from Jolie directing career. I would love to see more from her directing skills and I bet she got a lot of hate and that must be really hard for her, but Louis Zamperinin once said "Never give up. No matter what".

Now for the problems: Louis Zamperinin is a inspiring person who has been through hell most of his life and the fact that this guy kept going is truly remarkable, but in this movie he was just came off as a tough son of a b*tch and not really inspiring in a way that Louis was. The Prison camp in this movie wasn't really all that effective at all. Japanese prison in real life back then was a lot brutal and effectively shocking, but in this it wasn't and it would be more powerful if Louis stood out from the rest and became a leader to those jailed soldiers.

Overall Unbroken may have a lot of problems with it's pasting and slow scenes, but the movie has good directing, terrific performance from Jack O'Connell and beautifully Cinematography.
  60. Mar 18, 2015
    I'm giving it a 6 out of respect for the gentleman the story was written about. I personally became bored with it half way through. It has it's moments but not enough of them to satisfy my taste
  61. Apr 11, 2015
    It's hard to watch the brutality of war but it's films like this that helps us to see the sacrifices that others have made for our country. I thought the film was beautiful done and I'm grateful that Laura and Angelina have taken the time to shared their talents and keep the story alive. The film made me feel proud that I can walk free in a country with so many great Americans. IIt's hard to watch the brutality of war but it's films like this that helps us to see the sacrifices that others have made for our country. I thought the film was beautiful done and I'm grateful that Laura and Angelina have taken the time to shared their talents and keep the story alive. The film made me feel proud that I can walk free in a country with so many great Americans. I purchased the DVD and I also enjoyed watching the clip about Louie's life and his interview. I will be buying a copy of the DVD for all of my family. Expand
  62. May 15, 2015
    good movie but doesn't do justice to the book which is incredible, anyway Angelina Jolie did a good job trying to reacreate the Whole saga of Louis Zamperini's very own odyssey
  63. May 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You will basically know the result/ending of he movie from the title. Yet, Unbroken is still a powerful war-drama movie that touched me for days. The movie was a bit intense for a PG-13 movie. Expand
  64. May 25, 2015
    It's a story of survival. Survival thorugh the worst of the worst. Yes, it's slow-paced, and no, there aren't a lot of key events that happen in this movie, and no, there isn't really any action in it. It's based on a true story and the story feels accurately portrayed, or ralistic, not to say that I know the differences between it and the movie based on it. It's worth a watch if you'reIt's a story of survival. Survival thorugh the worst of the worst. Yes, it's slow-paced, and no, there aren't a lot of key events that happen in this movie, and no, there isn't really any action in it. It's based on a true story and the story feels accurately portrayed, or ralistic, not to say that I know the differences between it and the movie based on it. It's worth a watch if you're okay with slow movies. You'll hate the antagonist and pity the protagonist by the end for sure. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Dec 30, 2014
    If the Unbroken needle stops at Impressive and doesn’t quite rise to Enthralling, it’s because Jolie stints on exploring the doubts that tortured Louis nearly as much as Watanabe’s punishments did, and whose details so enriched Hillenbrand’s biography.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Dec 27, 2014
    We don’t see his alcoholism and post-traumatic stress disorder after coming home, the decay of his marriage, the vengeful hatred that led him to strangle his captors in his nightmares. Nor do we see his conversion to Christianity after a 1949 Billy Graham crusade in Los Angeles, an event he credited with saving his sanity, marriage and perhaps his life.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Dec 27, 2014
    Unbroken is a grueling endurance test - for the audience just as much as for its cutout champion.