Strand Releasing | Release Date: March 4, 2011
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 44 Ratings
WATCH NOW
cabritaJun 15, 2012
A hypnotic beautiful film that is very simple. In a film like this however I believe simplicity is not what is should be shooting for. Worth the time invested in it though.
Andys_ReviewsNov 21, 2012
All the performances are very good (with my usual caveat that it
joomjim4Jun 18, 2012
Probably the weirdest film I've ever watched but it is because of this unusual weirdness that constructs the most unique and remarkable movie in Thai film's industry. it also shows downfall of Thai morality- how temptations were seen asProbably the weirdest film I've ever watched but it is because of this unusual weirdness that constructs the most unique and remarkable movie in Thai film's industry. it also shows downfall of Thai morality- how temptations were seen as ordinary compensation. How humans are now living in 2 totally different world - the world of their own selves and the world that has been built by society which highly provokes the sense of importance of self-notification, nothing is true unless you've experienced with it. Expand
MusicxxAddictedMay 18, 2014
I read the bad reviews and I simply had to write one myself to clear up some things: THIS IS A METAFILM. Yes, it's a movie about movies. You can see it in the different style of cinema the scenes were shot, the multiple kinds of lighting,I read the bad reviews and I simply had to write one myself to clear up some things: THIS IS A METAFILM. Yes, it's a movie about movies. You can see it in the different style of cinema the scenes were shot, the multiple kinds of lighting, acting, etc. The dead son is an obvious reference to film which is losing its grounds to digital with the monkey suit as a symbol that refers to another movie, you probably know which one. He symbolizes the hybrid era which we're in, one foot in the analog, one in the digital, meandering what is superior when we look for quality not speed. The aunt is cripple, she comes from modern civilization which can be argued to cripple the human mind as well. Boonmee has a failing kidney and gets a stoma, even when the doctor said he'll be better he won't because technology simply cannot make man immortal. Man must learn to accept its fate but technology blinds us, as seen throughout the film. Nature will always remind us that we are mammals and nothing more.

The film hypnotizes you in its slow paced story, just like the cow it takes patience to tame the beast and bring it back home. If you're simply complaining about how slow a film goes, you go to the bathroom and start checking your emails and phone calls I think you're not the right kind of person to watch these sorta films because you're obviously too busy with the material world and cannot comprehend the patience it takes to deepen your well of consciousness. Namaste and please enjoy this movie.
ThunderWalrusJan 2, 2012
These other users don't know what they're talking about. This movie is a cinematic marvel. Every scene feels natural even though many of them are surreal, and it leaves you with a great feeling. It's beautiful.