• Studio: A24
  • Release Date: Apr 4, 2014
6.7

1. May 5, 2014
    3 things I LOVE in a film: Stunning Visuals. Science Fiction. Scarlett Johansson. Given everything it had going for it I assumed an evocative story would be in store. I assumed wrong. So. So. So. Wrong. Next Stanley Kubrik? Please. This music video director needs to get over himself.
  2. Apr 21, 2014
    Wow. Even Scarlett Johansson's nudity couldn't save this 'artistic' piece from the monotone drone of alternating silence and annoying buzzing to the entirely uninteresting and utterly forgetful character development of the lead. The director's failure to get you the least bit interested in the character's development is a fatal flaw which leaves you mired in one boring shot after another. Symbolic? Sure. Do you care at all? No. There is nothing gripping and it ends as disappointingly as it plods along from the beginning. People walked out and for good reason. I stayed because I hoped for redemption at the end. FAIL. Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2014
    Scarlett Johansson drives around in a van trying to pick up men, as some sort of otherworldy creature (probably alien) who lures them into a seductive death. For long stretches the most exciting thing she does is put on and take off her seatbelt. When she veers from her routine, the mystery of her existence is slowly peeled away, but never fully explained. Haunting, repetitive music and some interesting special effects add to the creepy scenario. There is a certain uniqueness in the direction that is compelling, but overall, this is mysterious minimalism at it's most tedious. Expand
  4. Apr 13, 2014
    What a tease! The film presents an enigmatic premise and then drags its feet all the way to the conclusion, without ever letting us in on its secrets. I enjoy a quiet, contemplative movie, but there were so many long empty stretches and so few details that I found myself without much to contemplate.

There's some great imagery and music, and a few fascinating glimpses of humanity through
    the eyes of an alien... But I found myself thinking more about the unusual production of the film than the vague narrative. In the end, it felt more like an over-extended short film than a fully-formed feature. Expand
  5. Apr 25, 2014
    (-)Virtually no plot
    (-)Extremely boring
    (+)You get to see Scarlett Johansson naked (i.e., why it has a 1 instead of a 0)

If you like movies like Tree of Life, you will like this movie, otherwise, avoid
  6. Apr 16, 2014
    The film is not very interesting. It is boring to watch as things occur. When you wait until the end to think you have it figured out, you probably won't. It will lead to many discussions about what is was about and what it will lead to. Not a very fun film to view. One I will not watch when it make it to cable, or if it makes it.
  7. Apr 6, 2014
    Heavily indebted to Kubrik, Roeg and Cunningham, but just boring really... let's all look at the underclass and stroke our beards as we pontificate what it all means - well I know, it means I just got ripped off £14. good music though so I gave it 1.
  8. May 17, 2014
    Terrible. It comes off like an attempt to gain some kind of cult film following, but it was the most painful 2 hours i've ever spent in a movie theater. Just not worth the watch, not even for Scarlet Johannson.
  9. Jul 20, 2014
    If your only goal is to see Scarlet Johansson naked, then this is the film to watch as she is nude through 80% of it. However, don't expect real dialogue, an interesting storyline or a point to this film. Basically, a beautiful woman (alien in human form) drives around in a truck at night seducing dumb, horny men with superficial conversation. She takes them back to her house/cave and walks them into a black tar-like pit where they drown & are never heard from again. Repeat 10 times, the end. The only way this movie could have been worse is if it were a double-feature with Jake Gyllenhall's film "Enemy". So glad I didn't pay to see this mess in the theatre, but still bummed I wasted about a buck on it. I'll never get that dollar, or those 2 hours of my life back. :( Expand
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    That was like a torture. 80% of this film was standing still Scarlett Johansson, still images and boring driving scenes. I'll never buy a blu-ray disk by the combined metaciritic-user score (78 metaciritic and 6.9 user by now). if you like sci-fi movies, don`t watch it. If you like drama movies don`t watch it.
    - If you like nonsense and torture.
    - If you want to be the first person to
    like a movie that none of your friend liked before.
    - Or if you want to impress a person because you`ve watched a sci-fi - drama - art movie
    then even in this situations don`t watch.
    Read a detailed spoiler and just 50x fastplay, without sound watch it. First half of the film was a greater torture. I considered minimum 4 times quit watching and countless times fast forwarding (That was first time in my life). God please help me to forget this experience. What a waste of time
  11. Aug 1, 2014
    My mind is absolutely blown by the positive reviews of this insufferable movie. When I read the positive reviews from some folks saying, "Nothing happens in this movie," I thought great, I'll probably love it, as I loved the Tree of Life by Terrence Mallick. No I don't need a plot, no I don't mind a slow movie, yes, I love an elusive movie.

This is some of those things but so, so much
    less! People seem to be satisfied with, wonderful shots, such as the child on the beach. "That was a unique shot." To them I say SO WHAT!? Go to a gallery then to stare at some wonderful photographs or paintings. I don't mind lack of narrative, but this movie has lack of interest, lack of anything. No, you don't have to be a Hollywood movie lover to "not get" this movie or to never want to watch it again, or to recommend it to no one. Expand
  12. Aug 3, 2014
    Besides the fact the movie made absolutely no sense, there were scenes were literally nothing was happening. The silence throughout the movie begins to grow painful and combine that with a monotonous pace and horrible images and you have one of the worst movies of the year.
  13. Jun 26, 2014
    I was really disappointed by this film. The trailer promised a lot more than it would eventually deliver. The comparisons with the works of Stanley Kubrick (whom I dislike) and Terrence Malick (whom I like) are ridiculous. I'd rather see this as more similar to David Lynch, though, again, comparison is ridiculous. The amateur look of the shots is not intentional, evidently: it's just this is an amateur film, only made with a lot of money and starring Scarlett Johansson; with all the flaws, the inexperience and the pretentiousness and none of the genuineness, the back-to-the-roots feel, or the love for film history an actual amateur film would feature.

In conclusion, it's not worth it. The visuals are good, but they're used in all the wrong places for all the wrong reasons. In order to be symbolic, there would need to be symbols somewhere. There aren't. There are fetishes which appear to be symbols, but they are just put there to make you think they mean something. It's a trap. Don't fall for it. This gets a 3 because Scarlett Johansson is somewhat good, because at least they made the effort for an original score, and because I gave a 2 to "Gravity" which is still worse than this.
  14. Jun 27, 2014
    Most of this film is Scarlett Johansson driving and walking (albeit often in underwear). ScarJo does a good job of portraying a creepy stalking alien but there's almost no plot which becomes obvious very quickly. Keep the remote close, because you'll be hitting fast forward a lot!
  15. Aug 2, 2014
    The whole move is a complete disappointment for me. It starts slow, and I would say it ends slow, but there really isn't much of an ending. But whatever it does in the final minutes of the movie, it does that slow as well.

I understand that many people see much that is deep visually and metaphorically, but lets be real. This movie was not about entertainment. I don't know what anyone
    saw in any scene to be called "beautiful" or when exactly the plot was "mindblowing" because it simply never did anything for me.

The plot was simple, unoriginal. The music was fitting (I guess) since it matched the movie's content (of which there was very little). Now while I do like many of the modern action films full of explosions, I also really love anything that makes me think. This one only made me think of why I bothered sitting through this entire movie. Again, nothing was visually all that appealing. Special effects at times reminded me either of a movie made in the 60s or 70s or perhaps just a super crappy 80s B movie.

Bash modern films as you will, but they were certainly much more appealing visually than this one. Personally there was more depth to the script, the visuals, the effects, the story, the everything in a movie like Transformers (gasps all around), and I only watch those movies to watch explosions! I don't even expect good acting or good stories out of the Transformer movies, but wow they really beat up on Under the Skin in every conceivable way.

I guess if you want an awkward movie that is predictable, that gives you nothing, that makes you consider sleeping or turning it off, look no further because it's here.
  16. Jul 20, 2014
    This is not a film but rather a collection of abstract scenes. The plot devices and attempts at narrative feel shoehorned and out of place. The characters are hollow, wooden, boring. Johanssen's performance seems absurd as she bounces between charismatic dialogue and robotic set-pieces. This is a disappointment. A film that seethes with potential but never delivers.

- x
  17. Jul 16, 2014
    Well, 95% of the people out there are not going to like this at all. They beat you over the head with their ham-handed attempt to be artsy drawing out monotonous scenes way beyond the point where you "get it" to the point where you press the fast forward button... alot. That will be how you'll watch this, finger never leaving the fast-forward button. Unless you are stoned... then you might not notice you've been staring at a dot on the screen for 15 minutes, or looking at someone sitting in their vehicle doing NOTHING for 5- 10 minutes for the 5th time. Fast-forward is your friend.

I'm giving it a 3 for these reasons, Scarlett Johansson takes her close off a lot (+2 initially then -1 for somehow making that monotonous), its science fiction (+2 but taking a point back after reading about the book it was based on and realizing they've ruined any chance of ever getting to see a decent movie based on that premise), and I'll give them another point for using actors that didn't initially know they were in a movie. Again, this is something I didn't know when I sat down to watch it but after reading up on the production, I thought that was worthy of a point for initiative and an uncommon approach to filming a sci fi movie.

It might have made a really good short film of about 20 minutes or less, but utterly fails as a feature film. They just really obviously had to stretch out the monotony to drag things out to the number of minutes they felt they needed. Watch the first 5 minutes. Turn it off. If you still feel compelled to watch it, you'll probably be in that 5% that likes to be hypnotised or something. The rest of you will thank me for the hour and a half or so of your lives I've just saved you. I'll split the difference with you and you can send me what a couple hours of your time is worth to my PayPal account.
  18. Jul 17, 2014
    This was one of the worst Sci Fi movies I have seen, and I LOVE Sci Fi! I waited for months for this to come out on DVD because it wasn't playing anywhere around where I live, and now I know why. I gave it a 4 instead of a 2 only because of Scarlett J. She is the only good part of the movie because she is so beautiful and sexy (so if you are a Scarlett fan it is worth seeing). It seemed like the slow, dreary pace would all be worth it when it explained itself in the end, but this movie didn't even try to, which made me angry for wasting my time on it. I do like odd, cultish movies (like Rocky Horror Picture Show , John Waters movies, etc.) but this really missed the mark. If the ending had wrapped things up, I could have forgiven the slow pace and often boring scenes, but it didn't. A horrible, very disappointing ending for several reasons. Expand
  19. Aug 22, 2014
    I've watched and enjoyed movies like rubber, anti-christ and even kung pow:fist of legend but this? I just couldn't get into it at all. I think you have to make up your own story since there isn't one here...is she an alien? a demon? a witch maybe? take your pic and run with it because i guess that's the point! she spends most of the movie driving around trying(and occasionally succeeding) to pick up guys,takes them to her.....home? dark void? black abyss filled with water maybe? heck if i know, but i do know that once these poor souls went in, they never returned for you see, they willingly(hypnotized? their body was numb once they entered her home and couldn't feel the water....maybe?) walked into the water and....well, they didn't drown but instead, had their skin taken, actually, all of their organs were removed and only the skin remained. At first i was wondering why she (it?) was killing since theirs seems to be no apparent reason but later i assumed "it" needed the skin of men but the last 25+ minutes of the movie has her(it?) roaming around aimlessly, riding buses, not being able to have sex for some strange reason,almost getting raped,getting gas thrown on her only to die a fiery death in a snow filled forest...... this movie just sucked since you havent the slightest idea of what's happening in front of you, it's like the director said....hey we'll just roll with it and hope the audience gets it! I just couldn't get into it, i just couldn't like this movie at all. 2/10 Expand
  20. Aug 9, 2014
    There are people that dig this style of weird, mostly silent, long-scene film and there are those like me, that don't. If you're going to use this style, which taxes the hell out of one's attention, then there has to be a big payoff of some sort, and that's what this lacked. Hence, it's mostly a waste of your time. I'd wager reading the source material would be better.
  21. Sep 28, 2014
    The king's not wearing any clothes! Really, can't believe that the critics like this movie so much. Reminded me of a Bergman movie with less happening or "Waiting for Godot" with no dialogue. No story. No moral. Many loose ends. Highly recommend you skip this movie even if it is free.

All this is initially fascinating, and then progressively less so. The problem is the usual serial-killer issue – things, no matter how weird and kinky, get repetitive.
  2. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Apr 18, 2014
    A deeply creepy and mysterious noir.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 18, 2014
    Under the Skin is, in short, a film that does just that: gets under one's skin, shining a light on what it means to be human -- even if what we end up seeing is something less than comforting.