• Studio: A24
  • Release Date: Apr 4, 2014
6.7

1. Jul 15, 2014
    I can understand the split opinions on this film for me it was unique with some very chilling moments backed up with a score that is pitch perfect. While not a masterpiece still a real interesting film. B+
  2. Jul 6, 2014
    Substantially an unorthodox extraterrestrial tall-tale from UK nonconformist Jonathan Glazer, UNDER THE SKIN is his long-waited third feature after SEXY BEAST (2000) and BIRTH (2004, 6/10) and it is truly worth the wait. Glazer composes sublime visual accomplishments and accurate location scouting to counterbalance the linear narrative happenings, which almost can be bracketed as a silentSubstantially an unorthodox extraterrestrial tall-tale from UK nonconformist Jonathan Glazer, UNDER THE SKIN is his long-waited third feature after SEXY BEAST (2000) and BIRTH (2004, 6/10) and it is truly worth the wait. Glazer composes sublime visual accomplishments and accurate location scouting to counterbalance the linear narrative happenings, which almost can be bracketed as a silent film if we can exclude all the pickup chitchat (barely accessible thanks to the thick Scottish accent).
    continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  3. Dec 12, 2014
    I was mesmerized the entire movie. Thank God for directors that don't rely on a heavy classical soundtrack that annoys and distracts. Natural noises, such as wind blowing, footsteps, clocks ticking are far more effective. When music was used it was creepy and atmospheric. The bleak Scottish cityscapes and natural beauty only added to the atmosphere. There are scenes in the film I willI was mesmerized the entire movie. Thank God for directors that don't rely on a heavy classical soundtrack that annoys and distracts. Natural noises, such as wind blowing, footsteps, clocks ticking are far more effective. When music was used it was creepy and atmospheric. The bleak Scottish cityscapes and natural beauty only added to the atmosphere. There are scenes in the film I will never forget. I thought Scarlett Johansson was terrific, although I'm already a big fan of hers. I don't need a complete story tied up in a bow for satisfaction, this little slice of Sci Fi was excellent. My only small critiques was that the story of an alien or robot becoming sympathetic to humans has been done before many times, and the Scottish accents were so heavy I couldn't understand some of the dialogue, but it was not distracting enough to ruin my enjoyment. Not for everyone but if it is your style you will love it. A director to watch for sure. Expand
  4. Jul 4, 2014
    Under the Skin is a masterpiece; brilliantly directed by Jonathan Glazer and with Scarlett Johansson at her finest - the film is beautiful, entertaining, fun, disturbing, haunting and incredibly memorable. With a smart screenplay, great acting and a stellar production, Under the Skin is a film destined to bury itself into the mind of its viewers. One of the best films of the year thus far.
  5. chw
    Apr 23, 2015
    Under the Skin was a very interesting indie flick. I wouldn't say it's a must-see movie, and I wouldn't say many people would enjoy it as much as I did, but people who see this will probably be entertained, at the least.
  6. Apr 19, 2014
    Once again I write to show my total love and devotion for Scarlett Johansson. She is truly turning into a profound artist in the leagues of an Isabelle Huppert or Juliette Binoche. Actors who are more interested in making art, saying something about the human condition, experimenting with truly amazing filmmakers. Everything they do may not be perfect but it is wildly ambitious, requiringOnce again I write to show my total love and devotion for Scarlett Johansson. She is truly turning into a profound artist in the leagues of an Isabelle Huppert or Juliette Binoche. Actors who are more interested in making art, saying something about the human condition, experimenting with truly amazing filmmakers. Everything they do may not be perfect but it is wildly ambitious, requiring a level of commitment few artists ever achieve.

Case in point--UNDER THE SKIN. Voracious, beautifully shot and directed. Johansson is given very little to do. In fact there really is no "acting" here but she is the center of the film. She is the film. A kind of central void, acting as a mirror to the ugliness of mankind. The message of UNDER THE SKIN seems to be: time for us to go. Man should die and disappear from our banal and nasty existences.

Johansson brings nothing and everything to this film. A film which ultimately disappoints by trying to be too much like an early Nic Roeg film, then suddenly very modern and then, just like Glazer's other two films--SEXY BEAST and BIRTH--too full of explanations to even be like a copy of a 70s film. But he is talented. The film is ambitious and stunningly made. The cinematography by Daniel Landin displays what is now possible in filmmaking and the music from Mica Levi is too perfect to describe. Truly sublime compositions.

But again, it is all about Scarlett. Giving so much and nothing. Proving what "personality" can be. She is a blank projection in UNDER MY SKIN and utterly perfect. An amazing sort of performance by a true artist consistently searching for new heights.
  7. Jan 25, 2015
    If you wanted to see this movie just because of Scarlett Johansson and you don’t really like slow-paced movies, then I am afraid you should see another movie.

For me, I enjoyed this movie despite its slow-paced story. I never expected to be immersed watching this movie as its plot slowly unveils itself. There might have been many interpretations what this movie is about so in my own

There might have been many interpretations what this movie is about so in my own interpretation, the story is told from an alien humanoid point of view of what human life is like and how she tries to adapt the world around her. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is what the movie is trying to tell.

The best part about this movie was its direction and cinematography. It’s what made this movie worth my time to watch thanks to its eye appealing cinematography. Not to forget is the score of this movie in which enhances the movie experience for me so much that it literally gave me chills in the backbone.

Scarlett Johansson played her role brilliantly in a very ambitious art house movie. She is a very good listener on what the director wants her to do and she had a good improvise timing on many scenes where she has to improvise. She shows that she isn’t just some actress with a pretty face, she is a serious actress who will do what’s tasked to her.

Under The Skin is a great art-house movie with great performance and on screen presence of Scarlett Johansson and eye-appealing cinematography and direction but this movie is not for everyone to see.
  8. Dec 14, 2014
    This film is visually beautiful, with it's eerie atmosphere with deception theough seduction looming over so many scenes. Scarlett Johansson's performace is certainly one of her most interesting she's done. This film does have a lot of ambiguity to it though as not all is explained clearly or concluded properly, but nevertheless this film is a cinematic gem and should definitely be pick up!
  9. Jun 27, 2014
    Like Welles’ The War of the Worlds and other iconic science fiction entertainment offerings – from films like The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and The Matrix to TV shows like Star Trek and Doctor Who - Under the Skin is a seminal entry in the genre. Like those iconic entries, this film sets a new standard of excellence in the genre. And like those iconic entries, this film will beLike Welles’ The War of the Worlds and other iconic science fiction entertainment offerings – from films like The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and The Matrix to TV shows like Star Trek and Doctor Who - Under the Skin is a seminal entry in the genre. Like those iconic entries, this film sets a new standard of excellence in the genre. And like those iconic entries, this film will be talked about for decades to come. Expand
  10. Apr 25, 2014
    I did not get it. Reading up on the movie after having seen it, there was a plot there, a character progression that I honestly did not follow as it was happening. To me, anyway, the movie was a pure sensory experience.

Of course, Scarlett Johansson nudity will do that do you. And there is a lot; we're not talking one or two fleeting shots. Nor is the nudity restricted to one character; it's quite egalitarian.

However, the film works as something more than pure erotica. Scotland doesn't sound interesting, but they shot the hell out of it for this film. There's very little dialogue throughout and only bursts of sound; you're just watching one main character set against scenery. In the end, it's a film that asks questions, not just the obvious one, "Would you follow a naked Scarlett Johansson to your death?" (yes, answers half the world), but also "What would an alien arriving on Earth make of us?" and "What's the difference between good and evil". Even if you don't catch all of the plot that is being nonverbally conveyed to you, there's enough going on to make this an effective cerebral sci-fi film.
  11. Mar 13, 2015
    A very interesting film about the humanization of an alien. It's quite bizarre what we see on screen and because of that people might dislike it but after the script is being developed you learn how to enjoy it. It's not a typical ET film with a weird creature and a lot of action since Glazer focus on Johansson's killings (they're not violent as you might think) and how she starts toA very interesting film about the humanization of an alien. It's quite bizarre what we see on screen and because of that people might dislike it but after the script is being developed you learn how to enjoy it. It's not a typical ET film with a weird creature and a lot of action since Glazer focus on Johansson's killings (they're not violent as you might think) and how she starts to change after a a long time on Earth. With an incredible score, Under the Skin is an amazing film about an alien who starts recognizing itself as a human being and trying to live and act like one. Johansson is magnificent! Expand
  12. Jul 20, 2014
    Perhaps what makes this movie riveting is that you are constantly asking “What the?” Piecing together the puzzle was half the fun (the seduction was understandable) and the other half was watching Laura (Scarlett Johannson) grow more complex and join the rest of us in trying to figure things out. With a movie both as realistic and surrealistic as this one, the director has to be brilliantPerhaps what makes this movie riveting is that you are constantly asking “What the?” Piecing together the puzzle was half the fun (the seduction was understandable) and the other half was watching Laura (Scarlett Johannson) grow more complex and join the rest of us in trying to figure things out. With a movie both as realistic and surrealistic as this one, the director has to be brilliant to hold your attention – and for me Glazer does. Expand
  13. Dec 18, 2014
    An amazing erotic and metaphorical journey about the true meaning of beauty and the analyse of what it is to be a human being, by the hand of a mind blowing performance by Scarlett Johansson, and a terrific score.
    Everything here just works perfectly.
  14. Oct 12, 2014
    Mysterious and mind-blowing after you unlocked it,Under the Skin is a fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy movie,centered on human kind's perspective of beauty.
  15. Apr 30, 2014
    I haven't been this conflicted by a film in quite a while. I also haven't thought about a film this much after seeing it in a while either.

There were moments during Under the Skin where I found myself completely awestruck by what I was seeing and hearing (the sublime beginning sequence for example). I sensed big existential questions being conjured meticulously through sound and image. There were also moments where almost nothing was happening, and the seconds felt like minutes. It just seemed it was stretched a bit thin a times.

I do believe there is greatness within this film, but I'd be lying if I said I felt that way throughout the it's entirety. If you're feeling adventurous, give this one a go.
  16. Jun 28, 2014
    i was pulled in from the opening sequence. visually stunning. the scoring of this film was perfect: eerie, weird, and unsettling. scarlett johansson was perfection. the amount of control she had was mesmerizing. this was art.
  17. Apr 5, 2014
    Did this director forget we had watched Aliens 1, 2, 3, and so on plus Nymphomaniac Vol 1 & 2. Scarlett didn't had opportunity to show her SKIN in CA:TWS, so they made a 'SPECIAL' movie for her named UNDER SCARLETT's SKIN.
  18. Nov 7, 2014
    Really, this film is flawless. Scarlett Johansson is fantastic, as in fact are all of the supporting cast members. Visually it is one of the most stunning and captivating films I have ever seen. The soundtrack alone makes this film a cut above the rest. And it also contains strong emotional moments, I cried at I think three separate points of the film, all for different reasons.
  19. Apr 9, 2014
    Whilst I found the ending somewhat flat and anti-climactic, the rest of the film is a unique joy. A visceral, erotic, stylish, creepy, and artful movie with fantastic direction, inspired use of hidden cameras and some suitable strange special effects. If you don't like to think at the movies, don't watch this. Go and watch Captain America or something instead.
    A weird joy
  20. Sep 4, 2014
    A genuinely disturbing science fiction movie unlike anything else I have ever seen. Good work. It's nice to see Scarlet Johansson doing something a bit out of the ordinary since she came to the public eye like most young women in film-doing more girlie type movies that were meant for audiences of young women. That being well and good I liked the ending of this movie and they way theyA genuinely disturbing science fiction movie unlike anything else I have ever seen. Good work. It's nice to see Scarlet Johansson doing something a bit out of the ordinary since she came to the public eye like most young women in film-doing more girlie type movies that were meant for audiences of young women. That being well and good I liked the ending of this movie and they way they portrayed the aliens as something truly alien that we basically couldn't communicate with at all. Might be like that. I liked the scenery of Scotland also. I think that them shooting it there was a good idea as it gave the project a feeling of otherness somehow. Go see it, but don't go alone. Expand
  21. May 10, 2014
    There is absolutely no shame in not understanding this movie completely. But giving a low review score simply because of that fact is really a shame. This movie is visually outstanding, and I had just so much fun being able to engage with the non-linear story that didn't spoonfeed itself to me. Whoever thinks that Scarlett Johansson is a lightweight simply needs to see this film. The sceneThere is absolutely no shame in not understanding this movie completely. But giving a low review score simply because of that fact is really a shame. This movie is visually outstanding, and I had just so much fun being able to engage with the non-linear story that didn't spoonfeed itself to me. Whoever thinks that Scarlett Johansson is a lightweight simply needs to see this film. The scene on the beach? One of the most chilling sequences I've ever seen in a film. Expand
  22. Jun 26, 2014
    muy buena pelicula si te gusta la ciencia ficion si no ni lo intentes pocos dialogos y lo bueno es que te va llebando a diferentes ecenarios de una forma muy agradable.
  23. Jul 2, 2014
    Under the skin isn't exactly the masterpiece people have been calling it but its definetly a peice of art in its own way and has a lot of really great imagery to be seen as well as a great performance from its lead, I would definetly recommend this film to movie goers but other then that I don't think main stream movie goers would really appreciate this work of art and its complexity.
  24. Dec 22, 2014
    Visually stunning. Breath-taking. The overall story amazed me, and it's the weirdest i've ever witnessed in a film, esp. with Scarlett Johansson. Despite Scarlett's nudity, the mysteriousness behind what she is intrigued me the most. The director and writer, Jonathan Glazer brought the novel of the same name to life, although i didn't read the book, i still fell in love with this film,Visually stunning. Breath-taking. The overall story amazed me, and it's the weirdest i've ever witnessed in a film, esp. with Scarlett Johansson. Despite Scarlett's nudity, the mysteriousness behind what she is intrigued me the most. The director and writer, Jonathan Glazer brought the novel of the same name to life, although i didn't read the book, i still fell in love with this film, everything a guy like me could ask for Thriller, Sci-Fi, with Scarlett Johansson. Expand
  25. May 17, 2014
    Provocative and eerie, introspective and philosophically challenging, this movie is not for the intellectually languid. Go watch a Spielberg film if you want to be lead by the nose, because this ain't ET. The story is unsettling and doesn't finish with everything tied in a nice bow with good guys and bad guys neatly sorted out, exposition rising action and denouement . The film looks atProvocative and eerie, introspective and philosophically challenging, this movie is not for the intellectually languid. Go watch a Spielberg film if you want to be lead by the nose, because this ain't ET. The story is unsettling and doesn't finish with everything tied in a nice bow with good guys and bad guys neatly sorted out, exposition rising action and denouement . The film looks at earthlings existence through alien eyes, and forces us to really look at ourselves as a biologist would. Showing Humans to be aliens even to ourselves. Expand
  26. Mar 12, 2015
    Stunning experience - weird, intriguing, mysterious, brilliant, provoking, masterpiece. The audio/sountrack is a key driver in completing the film's visuals and beautiful cinematography. The acting is spot on - love the natural feel of the victims and Scarlett is brilliant (although I would say there's an imbalance of character when she becomes scared at the end - thinking she should beStunning experience - weird, intriguing, mysterious, brilliant, provoking, masterpiece. The audio/sountrack is a key driver in completing the film's visuals and beautiful cinematography. The acting is spot on - love the natural feel of the victims and Scarlett is brilliant (although I would say there's an imbalance of character when she becomes scared at the end - thinking she should be tougher than humans). McWilliams is totally creepy and perfect, and his biking skills are insane! In one scene where the camera is following him he's pulling away on the camera/car on curvy wet roads and they're going fast...awesome scene, got my heart pumping. They style of this film is similar to Kubrick eerie 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut. I went into watching this film without a shred of knowledge, and I plan to watch it again - love the soundtrack and audio - absolutely eerie and feels out of this world. Beautiful Scotland scenes, touches many human emotions, lots of symbolism, it'll make you think, draw your own conclusions. Highly recommended for those who love contemporary art and film, and have an open mind. Only drawback is wish it was longer. Can't wait for director Jonathan Glazer's next film -- 10/10 Expand
  27. Aug 18, 2014
    Personally, I Wont Take The Path Of Pretentious Criticism & Multivariate Jargon, But I Want To Point That the movie is radiant example of contemporary cinema, away from the typical sci-fi manifestations, and even from recent cinematic expression in its totality.

If u want good, creative, inspiring cinema please do ur self a favour and watch the movie. If u want something else, widely approachable and easily "consumable" I suggest you better tune ur self to Godzilla, or Transformers. Have fun what ever u choose.
  28. Apr 19, 2014
    Oh my God. I was always excited for this film, but this is just above and beyond what I could have imagined. This film is not for everyone because it's so incredibly arthouse, but I honestly think that if people talked about the film, they'd see it in a new light.

Virtually nothing here is meant to be taken literally; it's extremely symbolic. It's an allegorical trip that is haunting, intriguing, sublime, gorgeous, sad, different, strange, human, spellbinding, unforgettable, and masterful, utilizing all of these qualities that convey what it means to be a human. What is also is about, though, is reveling in the questions and finding answers.

The cinematography is immaculate and the sound design is incredible. The score is mesmerizing and perfectly complements the visuals and tone of the film, with its strings and screechy sounds crossing into the realm of being sound effects at some points, and that's great because like the film, it brings together all senses and experiences into one odd package. Scarlett Johansson is intoxicating, doing so much with so little dialogue. She uses her eyes and facial expressions and callousness-turned-fake-charm so well, and you forget that you're watching an actress work because it's so immersive and shockingly realistic.

I can see why some people would dislike this film because it is very alienating (no pun intended) and probably as far from mainstream as you can get, but it's also so engrossing. This is a film that gives no explanations and doesn't really have much of a setup that leads into a conflict that sets the movie into action in a traditional sense. It works wonderfully because the movie itself feeds off of our abilities - as humans - to interpret emotions and read other individuals. The movie even seems to be watching you back at times.

Jonathan Glazer demonstrates that he has such a huge talent but also a great deal of discipline in order to make everything work. In the hands of another director, everything would have crumbled into pieces, but because it's so well-made, he makes connections between humanity and sexuality, objectification and death, and, to a certain extent, gender roles.

The ending (without spoiling anything) both satisfies and leaves ample room for interpretation, and is very affecting. There is a good amount of emotion to this film, and it's just so commendable that a film like this could be so human and realistic. I can definitely see the comparisons to Kubrick (my favorite director ever) and I could compare this film to Eraserhead and 2001: A Space Odyssey, and partially to Eyes Wide Shut.

This is a movie that I will never be able to forgot, and I know for a fact that I'll be thinking about it obsessively for a very long time. This may be one of my favorite films ever.

9.7/10, masterful, two thumbs up, miles above average, etc.
  29. Apr 24, 2014
    See this movie, worth every penny !! Fun to watch, and leaves you thinking way after the movie is over....With so many boring movies out there, this is one you have to see. See this in the movie theater , as the big screen really intensifies the surreal scenery.
  30. Mar 12, 2015
    Picked this up tonight because it was $11 at my local MovieStop in addition to the awesome reviews and interesting plot. If you're just wondering if it's good or bad and don't wanna read a review I'll tell you, in short, yes it is good, but it's certainly not for everyone.

The movie itself begins with something similar to a 2001-Esque intro. The pacing is very slow, and is hard to keep the casual moviegoers attention, but to art movie fans, there are plenty of symbolic and artistic qualities shown throughout. There are only a few words spoken but the images are very interesting. They sort of give this movie a dreamy quality. Now with all of that said, there isn't much else to say. I probably would've enjoyed it more had I known what to expect, because I certainly wasn't expecting to see what I saw. There is lots and lots AND LOTS of nudity so this isn't a family-gathering type of movie. My friend and I enjoyed it, although the reviews are a bit too high. My sister, who is more casual with movies absolutely loathed it. I say go for it if you're feeing whimsy. It's an interesting piece to say the least.
  31. Oct 28, 2014
    Wow! This movie is cool! It has a slightly slow start, and it's a touch low budget, but, the movie as a whole is a true cinematic masterpiece! If you like your sci-fi mixed with your horror, AND a lil thrill, don't even think twice, rent this one!
  32. Jul 25, 2014
    Artistically brilliant. This will become a cult film whose reputation will rise in the years ahead. There are some stunning scenes, particularly the one involving the ocean. The film maintains the essence of the book yet makes its own way. Kudos to the director and Johansson for such brave choices. A great film.
  33. Jul 13, 2014
    I'm astonished. This movie is literally like nothing I've ever seen. Scarlett Johansson gives a performance like nothing she's ever done. While it's not considered one, this is one of the greatest horror movies that I've ever scene. I've never had nightmares about a movie or T.V. show I've watched since I was eight years old. But the best thing in this movie is by far the music. I didn'tI'm astonished. This movie is literally like nothing I've ever seen. Scarlett Johansson gives a performance like nothing she's ever done. While it's not considered one, this is one of the greatest horror movies that I've ever scene. I've never had nightmares about a movie or T.V. show I've watched since I was eight years old. But the best thing in this movie is by far the music. I didn't even know you could make music like this. Under the Skin is an instant classic. See it. Now. NOW! Expand
  34. Aug 22, 2014
    Spoiler alert: quite intentional that Scarlett Johansson would be cast as the otherworldly predator sent to capture human men. She is such a stunning example of the human female form, that there would be no need for extraterrestrial powers. Her naked body (displayed at length in the movie) is all that's necessary to get the average heterosexual male to follow her anywhere. : )

Now on

Now on to the review. For those who are fans of the Faber novel - on which this movie is based - don't expect to know what in the hell the book is all about. I had to look up the Cliff notes. The movie is a stylistic, art house, abstract adaptation of the book. Sort of like a trip to the MoMA rather than the Met. Is you're in the mindset...you'll enjoy it. It's well acted, well written and generally well put together. Thought provoking, powerful imagery are the strongest points of the movie. Overall, a memorable piece of film worth watching.
  35. Sep 2, 2014
    A fantastic surrealist film. Very scary and thought provoking. Scarlett Johanson does a good job of beeing attractive, scary and heartbraking. One you must need to think about a lot after you see it.
  36. Aug 24, 2014
    I saw this movie and initially liked it very much but became concerned because it overlooked some obvious problems with the narrative especially towards the end where 1) somehow the ugly man escapes, and 2) something scares her in the cabin in the woods. The more I think about it, though, these details do not matter. The viewer is given room to think for themselves and I appreciated theI saw this movie and initially liked it very much but became concerned because it overlooked some obvious problems with the narrative especially towards the end where 1) somehow the ugly man escapes, and 2) something scares her in the cabin in the woods. The more I think about it, though, these details do not matter. The viewer is given room to think for themselves and I appreciated the opportunity to fill in the gaps myself. Most of the movie provides enough information to draw general conclusions and powerful emotions. Some people will hate it because this is a sensual rather than a narrative experience. People expect stories and this is more like an out of body experience. I found it fascinating. I learned things about people, about humanity. We are good. We are lustful. We are kind. We are ugly. We are stupid. We are beautiful. We are tragic.

I will give a positive rating to any movie that is unforgettable. Or a movie that can change the way I see humanity. I think the scene where she leaves the baby on the beach will stay with me forever. And the conversation she has with the ugly man and her decision to run away after his escape. These scenes were powerful, logical, and downright fascinating. I can’t stop thinking about this movie.

It was disturbing to see humanity through the lens of this thing that walked among us in such a friendly city. That she was looking for lonely men made her less despicable. That she attempted to fit in for a while and try to live among us was both charming and pathetic. What happened at the end of the movie made sense, because she didn’t fit in. She was objectified by men… brought out the worst in most (but the best in others).

Art is left up for interpretation, and I think this qualifies. People will either hate or love this movie. It was too over-simplified to mask its deficits with confusing b.s. … it did not attempt to hide its flaws. It was deliberately made this way, whether you liked it or not. I liked it better than most movies i have ever seen. It gave me new insights. It got under my skin.
  37. Jul 19, 2014
    An enigmatic and thought provoking film. If you don't read a plot synopsis, you may end up with so many disturbing images, you'll turn off to the film! So beware, this is a Art-Horror Sci-Fi masterpiece. From the beginning images, reminiscient of the final hallucinations of "2001: A Space Oddessy," to the beginning musical score that was taken from the same movie's choral ensemble’s,An enigmatic and thought provoking film. If you don't read a plot synopsis, you may end up with so many disturbing images, you'll turn off to the film! So beware, this is a Art-Horror Sci-Fi masterpiece. From the beginning images, reminiscient of the final hallucinations of "2001: A Space Oddessy," to the beginning musical score that was taken from the same movie's choral ensemble’s, this is an epic! The cinematography is spell binding, the Scottish landscape is mesmerizing, Scarlet is hypnotizing. Do you stare at her nude body? You, like the other characters, can't help yourself. Aided by a space (motorcycle racing) suit clothed associate, tearing accross stretches of the planet's terrain, Scarlet gets to glimpse human touch. An erotic experience is guaranteed. I had flashbacks and silent, visual, disturbed dreams that night. Dream-like pretty much sums it up. Expand
  38. Jul 27, 2014
    This will split the community into those expecting the Nude-Avengers and those seeking esoteric Arthouse. It belongs firmly in the latter and is top-line. Johansson shows again what she is capable of when given the opportunity to develop a character (see Lost in Translation).

With little dialogue, the interactions of the characters are intensified into a choreography and the story, itself almost banal, is just a space in which to dance. There will not be a sequel and both sides of the community will be grateful, but for very different reasons.
  39. Aug 23, 2014
    I don't know what I watched, I fell asleep while watching it. Though I remember a lot of "buzz" sound which made me extremely sleepy over the movie. Good thing I also waked up when the film started to actually play what it was playing so let's see.
    Firstly I need to say that this movie IS artistic. Being very VERY weird. The storyline is not a storyline, the characters are not characters and so long! Actually; the characters aren't very detailed. May that Scarlett Johnson played in this movie as the main character, this didn't make the movie better. It was a very creepy movie some times or rather boring at the start. The soundtrack is the part of the creepiness and also the idea. The storyline is also not very detailed but very well placed and I liked, to be honest, it's idea. Not a very good movie, a short one but a rather fascinating one. I don't know if this should be like a recommending review but it's your choice.
  40. Apr 6, 2015
    If I could give this film an 11 I would. Having loved the book I was concerned to hear that Glazier had altered the film narrative. But only a few frames in and I already could tell it was going to be incredible. A film that relies mostly on the emotional response from the audience to tell the story, many filmgoers won't connect having been so used to the overly absurdist films of today.If I could give this film an 11 I would. Having loved the book I was concerned to hear that Glazier had altered the film narrative. But only a few frames in and I already could tell it was going to be incredible. A film that relies mostly on the emotional response from the audience to tell the story, many filmgoers won't connect having been so used to the overly absurdist films of today. But this film is a classic. Fantastic Expand
  41. Nov 20, 2014
    I can't help it I loved this movie. Great visually. Excellent creepy sounds and music score. Looking back however I wish the plot and some scenes were understandable. I know it's based on a novel but a film should be able to stand on it's own in telling it's story.
    I understand some things can be left to our imagination,
    but 1)what happened to the swimmer? 2)what in the hell went down
    I understand some things can be left to our imagination,
    but 1)what happened to the swimmer?
    2)what in the hell went down with the diseased man?
    3)Why was there a small group of aliens (human form/bikers) already there?
    So I will be a bit shocked if this gets a best picture nomination although I loved it anyway.
    I mean there are critics raving about this movie as one of the best of the year. Seriously? I mean did seeing Scarlet naked really rock some of these critic's worlds that much or what?
  42. Jan 4, 2015
    Although I found it to be a tad more puzzling than need be to convey such a simple tale, the imagery pays off in silver dollars. Scarlett plays a very sterile creature and although its' one of her most low on dialogue roles, actions speak louder than words in this beautifully twisted tale of morality.
  43. Sep 30, 2014
    Simple flow diagram for this movie:

Do you like Arthouse movies? | | Yes No | | Do you like Scarlett Johanssen? Do you like Scarlett Johanssen? |
    Simple flow diagram for this movie:

Do you like Arthouse movies?

| |

| |

Do you like Scarlett Johanssen? Do you like Scarlett Johanssen?

| | | |

Yes No Yes No

| | | |

Watch this film Watch this film Don't watch this film Don't watch this film
  44. Apr 20, 2015
    First: This is not an action movie with lots of special effects and Oscar-winning performances. This movie is super downbeat, cerebral, quiet, and sometimes unsettling. If you get bored easily this movie is not for you. Second: I never read the book, and if I did I wouldn't rate this movie based on it. With that out of the way I found myself transfixed when watching this movie. To beFirst: This is not an action movie with lots of special effects and Oscar-winning performances. This movie is super downbeat, cerebral, quiet, and sometimes unsettling. If you get bored easily this movie is not for you. Second: I never read the book, and if I did I wouldn't rate this movie based on it. With that out of the way I found myself transfixed when watching this movie. To be honest, I think I would have been bored silly watching ScarJo drive around for as much as she did, but the eerie, grindy violin soundtrack was hypnotizing, and the camera work, scene composition, and lighting were quite beautiful. It was a pleasure to watch. These moment of course are punctuated with some very trippy and unsettling scenes where the true nature of the mysterious woman who drives around picking up men is revealed, and the effect it has on her. It's a strange movie, but worth the watch. Expand
  45. Jul 29, 2014
    My favourite film so far this year. The atmosphere is creepy, tense and disturbing. It says a huge amount with elegance and economy. It forces the viewer to think and evaluate, come to their own conclusions and (probably) fill in the gaps with their own fears and short-comings. I should also mention that the soundtrack is perfectly fitting.
    I would not recommend the film for people who
    I would not recommend the film for people who enjoy the usual Hollywood fare of spectacle and explosion. If you enjoyed movies like those of Andrei Tarkovsky, you will love this. Scarlett Johansson is once again beguiling and stunning. An amazing movie!
  46. Apr 6, 2014
    This film blows away the term "Cliche" and Glazers direction is top notch. It's a film you have to examine and think about, that has depth and purity. Moreover at times very scary and suspenseful. Johansson is brilliant.
  47. Apr 7, 2014
    A bonafide masterpiece, and I do not say such a thing lightly. The juxtaposition of Scarlett Johansson's haunting beauty and masterful performance in the titular role, set against the bleak Scottish landscape and the intolerable ease unto which she coaxes her prey, culminate in a film that chills to the absolute core. It's pacing deliberately ramps up the tension and this coupled with anA bonafide masterpiece, and I do not say such a thing lightly. The juxtaposition of Scarlett Johansson's haunting beauty and masterful performance in the titular role, set against the bleak Scottish landscape and the intolerable ease unto which she coaxes her prey, culminate in a film that chills to the absolute core. It's pacing deliberately ramps up the tension and this coupled with an unbearably horrifying score left me on an absolute knife edge. As many have stated, it is indebted to Roeg, Kubrick e.t.c. but not in an obvious postmodern, heart-on-sleeve approach; as much as it borrows Glazer innovates. It is shot beautifully, it's pacing is sheer frustrating perfection and it has seriously gotten under my skin. It's a long time since a film has effected me in such a way, and it has left me thinking about it for days and even now weeks after viewing. I, for one, consider this to be one of the best "science-fiction" films to have ever been produced. An agonising, terrifying but unmistakably beautiful film. Let me make this clear, this is a paradigm-shift for "science fiction" cinema. Brilliant filmmaking. Expand
  48. May 15, 2014
    Anyone wanting simple-minded, run-of-the-mill shallow plot and celebrity action will be disappointed. But if you appreciate a challenge, a visual masterpiece, with fascinating loose ends that will keep you thinking long after you see it ..... then this is for you. Suspend your need to analyze and understand everything, and let your imagination soar. This could become one of the trueAnyone wanting simple-minded, run-of-the-mill shallow plot and celebrity action will be disappointed. But if you appreciate a challenge, a visual masterpiece, with fascinating loose ends that will keep you thinking long after you see it ..... then this is for you. Suspend your need to analyze and understand everything, and let your imagination soar. This could become one of the true cult films, to join Blade Runner, 2001, and Alien, but with deeper and darker places to haunt you. There are THREE main stars: Johansen of course, in a role that expands her repertoir admirably, the Scottish wet/damp 'noir' background, and the mysteriously occult part of the story which will indeed work its way under your skin and remain with you especially when you cannot sleep late on a rany night. Expand
  49. Jun 26, 2014
    What a remarkable film. Unconventional to the extremes and plays on our human emotions with such deeply disturbing visuals, not to mention the incredible score and soundscapes. This movie is unforgettable and is a very important step in modern expressionism within the parameters of film.
    A movie this bold is obviously not everyone's cup of tea... but i'm excited to see where Jonathan Glazer will go from here.
    Also, props to Scarlett's incredible performance.
  50. Jul 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I took mom to see Under The Skin yesterday. Aside from the explicit sexual themes, disturbing imagery and nearly wordless plot progression, bringing mom was a good idea. After all, she’s into a good sci fi flic, likes Scarlet Johansson, and she enjoys wrestling the kind of difficult, challenging ideas put forth in this film. Plus the promise of gorgeous views of the Scottish countryside really paid off, which was perhaps what mom liked most.
    What mom didn’t like were actually the things I did. This film allegorically describes and criticizes male and female relations, focusing on how women are driven to treat men brutally. The film is a visual metaphor, criticizing ruthless femininity, oppressive institutional forces, sex and beauty as power, as well as the restoration of femininity and our humanity.
    This film’s ideas and plot are moved along almost entirely without dialogue. It might be tough for some viewers to follow this story told through images, but I’m sure it’s even more challenging to tell a tale in this way. This film, however, does this almost flawlessly and one feels led by capable hands in this regard. Many of the scenes not only move the overt story forward efficiently, but also engage the audience to consider the films sub -text, which revolves around issues of gender relations in our society. The story and characters are therefore a means by which to discuss these difficult matters, things which people rarely talk about. Its lack of dialogue might almost be viewed as saying, “social discourse rarely touches on such things…” This film, then is the best kind of sci- fi, because its ideas are relevant for our use today, and is commenting on important human themes.
    The film opens with an unknown man stopping his motorcycle in night, walking down to beach and retrieving a lifeless female body. He deposits it into a van, and in the following scene, Scarlett’s character is seen assuming the identity of this lifeless woman by removing the body’s clothes. This turns out to be symbolic of removal of the body’s skin as well, because we find out that Scarlett’s character is an Extra Terrestrial, who uses the guise- and skin- of a beautiful young woman to do her job. Her object on earth? Seduce single, young men from the open window of her van, in the night , bring them back to her abode, coax them to follow her across the magical, mirror-like, watery floor of her bedroom until these men are submerged and disappear. Once the victim is submerged, she puts her clothes back on and goes back to work.. Three men into this ritual, we see the awful fate of the victims: their insides are sucked out from them, leaving only the skin, with their innards shipped off to somewhere….
    This horror, we come to discover, are guided at least in part by the crotch- rocket man. His influence is not fully understood until the beautiful female ET accidently picks up an ugly man to bring to his doom. Upon receiving the ugly man, however, the spell of ruthlessness and murder is broken, because she feels the humanity of this character. She has compassion for him. Unlike the others she seduced, who were out partying and having fun, this man is walking at night to buy groceries, simply hoping to avoid the hateful judgment of others. Though he is grossly deformed, she comments on how nice his hands are and the man begins to weep. Ruthless devotion to her intent is destroyed by this man’s innocence, ugliness and humanity. Coaxed to the watery pit, she frees him suddenly. Thus begins her journey to restoration.
    Because she spares this man from her deadly pursuit, the crotch rocket man now chases her. She cannot be allowed to stop being ruthless, let alone pity someone who is ugly and outcast from the brutal game of beauty and power. She must not find her own, and others’ humanity. She escapes into the beautiful Scottish country, and the wild interior of her own nature. She is taken in by a kind man who makes her dinner and invites her into his home. They go for a walk, and one beautiful image is of this man carrying the ET across a large puddle, evoking the haunted, watery mirror which she used to destroy the men she met in the past. They go back to his house and they eat. Upstairs, he kisses her and they begin to have sex. When her hymen breaks, she recoils, unprepared for the pain and vulnerability of her humanity. Fleeing, she takes refuge in a cabin in the forest. After being lulled to sleep by the endless span of nature, like a baby in a womb, she awakens suddenly, remembering the peril she is in because of the crotch -rocket man. Running, she finds an empty logging truck, tries to steal it but is seen by its driver, who chases and then attempts to rape her. Through this assault, her shell is ripped and the man staggers back, horrified by the sight of her true inside. He runs off and as she walks away, the rest of her false skin falls off. Now the ET is fully revealed: Dark, feminine, beautiful, strange…unspeakable. As she looks down and comes to see this part of herself, the trucker has returned and murders her. Her wild, interior nature is certainly not allowed to live…only devotion to the brutal game of falseness and exteriority can survive. She is left a smoking char in the snow after being burnt alive.
    This last sequence of events demonstrates the power of the allegorical nature of this film. The idea that women are driven- through male-dominated, institutional forces- to carelessly seduce and even to destroy men is difficult and nearly unspeakable. Scarletts’ ET is initiated into a state of compassion, humanity and the interiority of her being, the one thing that cannot survive.
  51. Jul 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm glad Peter Bradshaw (a critic I've sometimes found irritating) gave this 5 stars in The Guardian. It's a remarkable film. Though I don't think it's particularly scary, it is certainly disturbing and has that claustrophobic quality of nightmare, both sluggish and speeded-up at the same time. It reminded me of The Man Who Fell to Earth but is, I think, much more interesting. To quote Bradshaw's review:

"Between encounters, she roams, gazing at streetscapes, and making them alien with that gaze – like a Craig Raine poem. At one stage, she and her van are surrounded by guys with Celtic scarves. She is the ultimate Rangers supporter."

Nice to see Raine get a nod, though I don't know if I completely agree with the comparison. One of the intentions of 'Martian' poetry was to render the ordinary exotic and strange (a kind of embossment of what most good poems usually do). In a way, the first part of Under The Skin does just the opposite. The alien gaze flattens and greys out everything, making street-scenes, etc. look even more boringly flat and grey (perhaps Glazer's main reason for choosing Glasgow). And it's the relentless accumulation of such scenes, and they way they contrast with other aspects of the film, that alerts one to the fact that the artlessness is quite deliberate (if you're disposed to attaching labels, 'postmodern' will do very nicely).

Also, I'm very surprised Bradshaw's review didn't mention one of the most compelling things about Glazer's film, his use of guerilla camerawork and 'casting': the encounters between Johansson's alien and the random men she chats up is given a generous dollop of reality because they were being filmed secretly and had no idea they were taking part in a sci-fi movie. Each one had to be (literally) chased down after the scene so that he could sign the release form. Apparently about half of them refused, including one poor guy who understandably took fright at being pursued down a backstreet by some looney waving a piece of paper. Maybe that's part of what Bradshaw meant when he said 'the film comes with a dog-whistle of absurdist humour', though I would have thought that most people were by now aware of this aspect of the film (one of its selling points as far as I'm concerned).

I had some quibbles, mostly regarding the initial impressions of the alien's lair with its tarry, carnivorous floor. It seemed too slick and pop-video for my taste, but be patient; it does, rather horrifically, redeem itself later.

Plot-wise, not a whole lot happens and the story, such as it is, is pretty grim. As The Blair Witch Project divided audiences, slicing a clean line between those who loved or hated it, so will Under The Skin. But there wasn't much need to hunt for vein in my case. It got right in there.
  52. Jul 26, 2014
    Yes, that is a 10 rating. Why? Because it is refreshing to see a film that relies on the exercising of our cerebrums rather than satisfying the "lizard" parts of our brain with non-stop action, gratuitous sex, and over-the-top CGI animation. Ironically, it is exactly that older, basic part of our brain to which the hapless victims in this film succumb, lured by the de-glammed andYes, that is a 10 rating. Why? Because it is refreshing to see a film that relies on the exercising of our cerebrums rather than satisfying the "lizard" parts of our brain with non-stop action, gratuitous sex, and over-the-top CGI animation. Ironically, it is exactly that older, basic part of our brain to which the hapless victims in this film succumb, lured by the de-glammed and striking natural beauty of Scarlett Johansson, an apparent alien known to the viewers and her prey as "Laura." At times both mesmerizing and repulsive, Laura is both succubus and protagonist as we ride this existential roller-coaster to a surprising yet oddly appropriate conclusion. I will admit that your average sci-fi addict may find this film a bit to "artsy," but this movie is much more than a science fiction about aliens who have developed a fondness for human flesh tartare (a far too common theme). This film is more of a mirror reflecting back a sobering view of the human condition, both at its worst and at its best.

When the film starts as a small point of light in the distance surrounded by total darkness, growing ever larger until it is large enough to morph into what appears to be a surreal image of birth, then followed by a transformation into an eclipse and then a human pupil and iris. The accompanying musical score is both irritating and eerie, a combination that makes the viewer edgy and fixated on the imagery. I couldn't help but immediately think of certain scenes from Stanley Kurbrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey," a stylistic homage not lost on many viewers and critics, it seems. Next we see a fully safety-suited motorcyclist (the suit almost reminds one of a space garment) retrieve the body of a young woman (Scarlett Johansson) from what appears to be a ditch on the side of the road. The next scene is of this body placed on a lighted floor being stripped by a naked woman (also Ms. Johansson) who then puts on her clothes just as we see a single tear coming from the left eye and running down the cheek of the newly naked woman on the floor. The alien woman (but is she really a woman?) now has the appearance of the doomed female on the floor. From this point forward, "Laura" drives about Glasgow in a white, windowless van selecting her prey (young men) like an urban-camouflaged jaguar. She feigns being lost, a ploy that allows her to interview various men on the street, making sure they meet the right profile (young, strong, single, childless, live alone), then seductively offers them a ride that ends horribly for each victim who passes through the entry way to her home. Once inside, the seductive dance continues as Laura, well ahead of her duped would-be lover, continues to strip in an endless dark space covered by a jet-black, shining floor. Her amorous suitors, following entranced, also de-cloth, and soon the floor turns into black liquid that engulfs each one, at which point Laura gathers up her discarded apparel on what to her is a still solid floor. At one point the director allows us to see the fate that awaits those who become encased in this pool, and it is one of the most horrific scenes in cinematic history, and also where we learn one of the meanings of the film's title .

Ultimately, the huntress Laura lures a facially disfigured man into her inescapable liquid web, but then allows him to leave even after he becomes submerged, the first evidence of compassion exhibited by the alien (As an illustration of just how devoid of compassion these visitors can be, in an earlier scene, Laura is chatting up a foreign surfer on the beach as a woman tries to save her drowning dog from the raging surf, her husband then tries to save her, then finally the surfer tries to save the husband, but fails, only to wash up on the beach to be clubbed over the head by Laura and dragged off to her van, as the family's infant is left crying, now alone on the beach. The abandoned child is still there, hours later, when the motorcycle man shows up to clean up the crime scene, completely ignoring the child.). After letting the one man escape (her act of mercy later thwarted by the motorcycle driver), something changes, leaving Laura in a semi-catatonic state, abandoning her van and wandering aimlessly through Glasgow and into the country side where a well-meaning man takes here in and tries to nurse her back to health. It is at this point she seems to awaken to the fact that humans are more than haute cuisine. It is also following this epiphany that she is exposed to both the best and worst aspects of human behavior, the final consequences of the latter that lead to her demise.

I found this movie refreshing, chilling, artistically brilliant, and thought provoking. Scarlett Johansson was the perfect combination of feline seductress and passionless, other-worldly entity that slowly transforms into confused catatonia as she begins to develop empathy for her former prey.
  53. Nov 24, 2014
    Easily the smartest and most interesting film I've seen in 2014. Scarlett Johansson offers a brilliant performance- subtle at the start with an increasing sense of emotional peril as she loses her "human" exterior but seems to gain an inner humanity.

The story follows her change from heartless, unemotional and detached alien doing her job of collecting specimens, (or skins) for an unsaid nefarious purpose, to her bonding with humanity to the point that she betrays her employer/fellow aliens as she tries to rather hopelessly join the local earthlings and taste the joys and pains of humanity.

The film handles this in such an abstract and original way that it takes effort to keep up. It is not a film for those who want to leer at naked Johansson- which results in the negative scores, which, if you think about it, is really funny.

This is a film of the quality found in the directorial hands of a very few directors- Antonio and Kubrick spring to mind. It demands we watch it at it's own pace, and it moves away from the regular trappings of standard sci-fi fare into more artsy, thinking realms.

The performances of many of Scarlett's male victims seem natural and unforced- you really get the feeling she is preying upon people on our "real earth" as we pass through shopping malls and drab, regular, lower middle class places. This wildly complements the scenes aboard the alien's den, which are stark, artistically blank canvases. The effect is jarring and unsettling.

Some viewers complain about a "lack of story", but I didn't find this true at all. Johansson's brilliant double metamorphosis from lovely perfect human exterior with it's cold, calculating inhuman interior, into just the opposite- an alien monstrosity which now possesses empathy, joy, curiosity, pity and fear- is a might and moving transformation, and for this viewer, following this path is what gives Under the Skin it's unique look at the human condition, from a perspective I had not visited before.

And that is what film, when it is art, is all about.
    Beautiful and horrific at the same time, this magnificent film reminds me of that similar balance of humanity and terror found in the equally wonderful Swedish vampire film, Let the Right One In.

This movie is for those who like real contemplation after their films- definitely not for the quickie gore/sexy nude actress crowd, nor the thrill ride set either, and I expect having Scarlett in the lead role, and the knowledge that she bares all here, (more than most actors ever will in the most extraordinary ways), probably has led many to expect an entirely different sort of experience than this smart, beautifully original motion picture.
  54. Aug 18, 2014
    Enigmatic, slow, repetitive film, but at least offers a bit of a "surprise" at the end. Yet after watching the film I wondered if it was even worth trying to figure it out. Wish Johansson had saved the nude scenes for a better film. Anyway, what does it all mean? One possible clue, I think, lies in a very brief, but pointed mention of the upcoming Referendum for Scotland and theEnigmatic, slow, repetitive film, but at least offers a bit of a "surprise" at the end. Yet after watching the film I wondered if it was even worth trying to figure it out. Wish Johansson had saved the nude scenes for a better film. Anyway, what does it all mean? One possible clue, I think, lies in a very brief, but pointed mention of the upcoming Referendum for Scotland and the possibility of independence from England. When considering who the characters are and the plot, this wider political context made sense to me. So, for me the film is a parable about the shedding of a colonial power for national independence. Interesting how "woman" figures in such anti-colonial narratives. But your guess is as good as mine! Expand
  55. Jan 27, 2015
    The scene-to-scene change was almost TOO obtuse, so that it was close to confusing rather than cool and bizarro (suddenly the beach scene appeared and who was who and was that person drowning?) but the movie was still fascinating and the ending was great - once I saw the ending, I started making sense of the rest of it.
    It is the kind of movie I think about long after I've watched it - a
    It is the kind of movie I think about long after I've watched it - a rarity these days! The music really added too it...my non-sci fi pal announced that she was falling asleep but stuck it out.

All this is initially fascinating, and then progressively less so. The problem is the usual serial-killer issue – things, no matter how weird and kinky, get repetitive.
  2. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Apr 18, 2014
    A deeply creepy and mysterious noir.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 18, 2014
    Under the Skin is, in short, a film that does just that: gets under one's skin, shining a light on what it means to be human -- even if what we end up seeing is something less than comforting.