Underworld: Evolution

8.8

1. Sep 4, 2016
    Like most sequels, Underworld : Evolution is bloodier, more violent, more action packed but also, not as good as the first one. Event though it was a little bit too over the top at times and even though it was not as good as the first Underworld movie, it's still a good movie.
  2. Jun 27, 2016
    De todos os filmes da serie Underwold esse foi o melhor, gostei muito do clima sombrio do filme e com ótimas cenas de ação sem muita enrolação gostei muito de assisti esse filme.
  3. Dec 25, 2015
    I have never seen the whole saga "Underworld" but if it is not disgust this is the unca I saw but wrong cost was very boring , as will be worth the crude scenes and uncensored , but it will be worth watching the saga "Underworld".
  4. Dec 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty much just as good as the first if not better in some areas. (+10)

Again, CGI just isn't impressive. (-1)

Reason I'm giving this an 8 instead of a 9 is because of Victor's death. It's not an objective critique, but to give such an interesting and powerful character and underwhelming and pathetic death just blows my mind. I suppose it's possible the film crew ran out of money or something. I refuse to believe the producers/director was satisfied with that. (-1).
  5. Jul 29, 2015
    I love Underworld! It is one of my favorite movies off all time. I still like Star Wars, Robocop, Terminator, Rocky, Rambo and other movies I've seen a bunch of times more but Underworld will always be one of my favorites film series of all time and Underworld: Evolution is actually my favorite film in the franchise.
  6. Aug 28, 2014
    A good continuation for the first Underworld movie. I think seeing the first one close to viewing this second film is a good idea, because while the main events of the first part were explained in the beginning of this sequel, it's still best to see the whole thing to understand everything that's going on.

The characters in this film don't get to grow very much. They are as they were in the first movie, and the new ones are... well, good additions, but nothing amazing.

"Underworld: Evolution" plunges deeper into the murky waters of the past, which involves Selena (Kate Beckinsale). In this film her beloved Michael (Scott Speedman) doesn't really have a role to play; he just tags along.

We go to the very source of vampires and werewolves, just like many other movies before, and it is not surprising what follows that. Some of the motives are very predictable, and some are not explored very much at all (I still have no idea what Marcus really planned to do after releasing his brother).

The special effects of this movie were both good and bad. Sometimes they worked, but especially in the beginning, the action and CGI were pretty bad.

Altogether the movie is eventful and entertaining enough to watch, but it doesn't really offer anything new or thrilling. There ware guns, there are monsters, some blood and gore, and of course there are those who are strong, and those who just miraculously happen to be stronger - with some luck.

I hope the next movie will be better.
  7. Dec 23, 2013
    I thought the film was alright after following up from the last film since the film is set very shortly after the last film.
    But i have some problems with the lore of the films itself and in this film i see the problem being the biggest;
    Like for example, in many vampire lore's created by different films vampires can not drink the blood from themselves or other vampires because of how the blood is structured, meaning if they were to drink each others blood it would case no effect to there body. In the Underworld vampire lore if a vampire drinks another vampires blood he or she get said memory (which is a pretty cool addition) and their body's receive the energy needed.
    The other problem i have is the name Lycans, though it is historical correct since the story of The Beast of Le Gevaduan which introduced the word, in the Underworld origin story of werewolf it does not fit, and here are some reasons.
    The story tells that the first werewolf was William Corvinus, son of Alexander Corvinus who gave him the power. In the very first Werewolf tale which tells of King Lycaon who was a cruel person to his people, Zeus Greek God of gods came down to witness it himself and found it to be much more worse then he heard, when he revealed himself to King Lycaon, the king did not believe him at so he arranged a test for the god to prove himself (which was to kill him and if Zeus lives he is truly a god and if Zeus dies then he was lying). King Lycaon prepared a dinner and served the peasants that he has recently killed. Zeus knowing straight away transformed King Lycaon into a Werewolf.
    Which is were the word Lycan came from, and since these events are not stated to have happened in these film, which would be useful for explaining the Lycan name.
    The films was good despite the bad lore's but what always confused me was why Marcus the very first vampire was under Victor's command since the deal was that Marcus make Victor a vampire and not let him die and Victor would give Marcus an army to fight the werewolf's.In an normal situation back in that period Victor would be in second commend since he doesn't really own his army anymore and isn't the first vampire,
  8. Feb 26, 2013
    While the first one had a little more bite to it (lol), this was a decent sequel with just as much Action and Horror Violence in it to keep the fans amused. The main players are back, this time joined by new villain Markus who we briefly met in the last one. It had a few more dull moments I'll admit, but in order to really appreciate the next two films you need to understand what went onWhile the first one had a little more bite to it (lol), this was a decent sequel with just as much Action and Horror Violence in it to keep the fans amused. The main players are back, this time joined by new villain Markus who we briefly met in the last one. It had a few more dull moments I'll admit, but in order to really appreciate the next two films you need to understand what went on beforehand and thats where these come into play. Not the best the genre has to offer, but a decent film! Expand
  9. Nov 9, 2012
    Plot is much better this time around, Don't see how it's confusing at all unless you haven't seen the first film. Acting is a little better due to lack of secondary characters. Once again, Special Effects suck. I hate how they switch from werewolf costume to cgi, It's so annoying. The film would have been much better if all of them were guys in CGI suit (like Rise Of The Planet Of ThePlot is much better this time around, Don't see how it's confusing at all unless you haven't seen the first film. Acting is a little better due to lack of secondary characters. Once again, Special Effects suck. I hate how they switch from werewolf costume to cgi, It's so annoying. The film would have been much better if all of them were guys in CGI suit (like Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes). I also hate how the hybrid Michael looks in this film. It's pretty much just him with black paint on. I expected the hybrid Vampire/Werewolf to have a good, original look but sadly he doesn't. Action was rather weak as well. Overall, while it's improved in some areas (the plot), It's also gone down in other areas (the action) as well. I have given it a chance but I am done with this series. I honestly do not see how users can actually like this trash. Expand
  10. Nov 8, 2012
    This Underworld, only slightly better than its predecessor, is a sex filled gore fest, which would fine, except that the film takes itself way too seriously.
  11. Jul 24, 2012
    Although inexplicably maligned by critics, Underworld: Evolution is a superior sequel. It builds upon the first movie's lore and mythos, adding layers of intrigue and mystery. Evolution also brings a wealth of exciting action scenes that shoot right for the core of what makes monster movies such (admittedly) silly but compulsive fun. From start to finish, this Underworld sequel is aAlthough inexplicably maligned by critics, Underworld: Evolution is a superior sequel. It builds upon the first movie's lore and mythos, adding layers of intrigue and mystery. Evolution also brings a wealth of exciting action scenes that shoot right for the core of what makes monster movies such (admittedly) silly but compulsive fun. From start to finish, this Underworld sequel is a thunderously entertaining explosion of gothic horror and science-fiction fantasy. Highly recommended, snooty critical reaction or not. Expand
  12. Jun 10, 2012
    I didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. I didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. I didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. I didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. I didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. II didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. I didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. I didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. I didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. I didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. I didn't not like this as much as the first but it was still very enjoyable. Expand
  13. May 6, 2012
    Firstly, you'll without doubt enjoy this movie far more if you have seen the first Underworld. As a film itself it's definately worth a watch and it has some real class in parts - the lead hero in Selene (Kate Beckinsale) and lead villain Marcus (Tony Curran) are both superb and really add some zing to the film. The first half of it builds nicely, with a great meld of action and plotFirstly, you'll without doubt enjoy this movie far more if you have seen the first Underworld. As a film itself it's definately worth a watch and it has some real class in parts - the lead hero in Selene (Kate Beckinsale) and lead villain Marcus (Tony Curran) are both superb and really add some zing to the film. The first half of it builds nicely, with a great meld of action and plot sequences, and it starts to feel as if an awesome film is in the offing. Sadly, the second half of the film just feels a bit rushed and wishy washy - not bad by any means, but I found myself switching off at times and not as hooked as in the earlier section of the film. The climax doesn't disapoint though and, if you can ignore a few of the plot holes, there's definitely enough to sink your teeth into for it be worth a watch. Expand
  14. Feb 19, 2012
    My favourite in the franchise, too bad the critics couldn't see the good side of this film. I thought the story was better and more intense than the previous film, also the fight scenes are better and entertaining especially the final battle scene of Selene against Marcus and Michael versus William. That scene was pretty damn cool. PROS: Kate in cat suit, Kate in sex scene, Kate destroyingMy favourite in the franchise, too bad the critics couldn't see the good side of this film. I thought the story was better and more intense than the previous film, also the fight scenes are better and entertaining especially the final battle scene of Selene against Marcus and Michael versus William. That scene was pretty damn cool. PROS: Kate in cat suit, Kate in sex scene, Kate destroying two **** vamps, cool Hybrid design (though I think he should look more 'wolf' like), slightly better acting and writing than previous film
    CONS: Was expecting a Hybrid vs Hybrid super epic end battle scene, needs more low angle shot on Kate's ass.
  15. Dec 11, 2011
    How can a movie as bad as Underworld get any worse? That was what I found myself wondering at the end of Underworld Evolution, a film so colossally bad it deserves some kind of award to emphasise the fact its dreadful. It has a terrible script, two wooden leads, a boring supporting cast and some awful set pieces. It's just bad. Really, really bad.
  16. Oct 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. "Underworld: Evolution" is just annoying. Why are the vampires and Lycans just fighting consistently? No plot twists, witty script, or even chilly scares. It's a movie you'll get to watch and forget in a few moments. Collapse
  17. Feb 14, 2011
    why are "professional critics" so dense?
  18. Aug 23, 2010
    More vampires vs werewolves nonsense but this time the big, top, head cheese vampire is back & he's annoyed & trying to find his brother.
    Much better than the first in that the story is a lot stronger, the effects are more convincing & less pouting from Kate Beckinsale.
    One or two silly moments but the opening scene is very good indeed.
  19. CarlosF
    Jul 18, 2009
    Nothing new. Nothing better than the first one. Just Marcus character, but he's overacting. The lead actors are the same dumbs, Beckinsale and Speedman, who haven't much to say, but a lot to over act. The music is the same from the first movie, the plot is even worse and more derivative than the first one. It's basically action scenes, which were too predictable, and CGI Nothing new. Nothing better than the first one. Just Marcus character, but he's overacting. The lead actors are the same dumbs, Beckinsale and Speedman, who haven't much to say, but a lot to over act. The music is the same from the first movie, the plot is even worse and more derivative than the first one. It's basically action scenes, which were too predictable, and CGI creatures, which were completely unreal (I mean, what the f--- were that werewolves?). So, this a boring overlong movie. And it's a ZERO. Expand
  20. JayK.
    Jan 21, 2009
    I'll give it a 1 because i like the color. other than that its just blood and guts with ridiculous storyline and characters. underworld 1 is much much better.
  21. PerE.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Hello makers of Underworld Evolution! With a risk of being drowned in other posts, I have just finished Underworld Evolution and i just have to say: -Great work! :DDDDD I love this series because of the epic battle between good and evil, and with a twist :) The good guys and really evil themselves! Or sort of, just like us human beings :D I was aroused when the film ended and I though I Hello makers of Underworld Evolution! With a risk of being drowned in other posts, I have just finished Underworld Evolution and i just have to say: -Great work! :DDDDD I love this series because of the epic battle between good and evil, and with a twist :) The good guys and really evil themselves! Or sort of, just like us human beings :D I was aroused when the film ended and I though I could not wait to see the third film! Then I went online and discovered that Kate would not be in the third film... curtains down... I feel really sad that she will not be in another Underworld film because she is the film!!! It is her struggle towards becoming good again that is the essence of Underworld! Or so I thought! I understand that if she has other goals in life, she must of course be able to pursue them, and I wish her all the luck in the world! But still, egocentric as I am, I would be happy to see her continue as the Queen of the Underworld. And here is my point! There is no point of a third film if she is not in it! It is better to leave it as is, with Evolution ending with a question, rather with a tainted third, forth and fifth film decaying like the Police school series. That said, I thank the producers, actors and all involved personnel for a work well done! :D I hope she reconsiders, but if she is not, all power to her! Most humbled, Per Engstrom of Sweden! Expand
  22. KenW.
    Apr 27, 2008
    I cant help it. I loved the movie and of course Kate Beckinsale. I think with her accent, outstanding good looks, and charm she would make any movie enjoyable.
  23. NicoleT.
    Sep 28, 2007
    Underworld and Underworld:Evolution are the 2 best ever vampire movies. I and a buch of friends have been waiting for Underworld 3. If #3 is a prequil, then there must be a #4 also. You can't just end the 2nd one with Selene standing in sunlight not getting fried, kissing Michael and finally in love and together. You can't end it that way!!!! These are the most beautifully shot Underworld and Underworld:Evolution are the 2 best ever vampire movies. I and a buch of friends have been waiting for Underworld 3. If #3 is a prequil, then there must be a #4 also. You can't just end the 2nd one with Selene standing in sunlight not getting fried, kissing Michael and finally in love and together. You can't end it that way!!!! These are the most beautifully shot and realistic vampire/warewolf movies made. All of the actors are brilliant! I don't care what the critics say, Vampire/Warewolf movies are extremely popular and always do well. Once a good one comes out, everyone goes to see it, or buys the DVD. This particular story-line could go on for many movies. PLEASE make at least two more!!!! The chemistry between all the character is great, The prequil would be the older characters, and #4 has got to have Scott(Michael) and Kate(Selene) in it. I'm sure you will come up with some new characters to join them. Len Wiseman is a creative perfectionist. I know he is rather busy these days, but if he can't direct it, he needs to write it and be closely involved with the movies. GO UNDERWORLD!! LOVE YA & THANKS!!!! Expand
  24. PatC.
    Aug 27, 2007
    From a plot standpoint, unengaging to the point of inducing naptime. Despite the colorless light, some pretty precise special effects work. The two romantic scenes between Kate & Scott where actually quite tasteful, with good music and no dialogue. Could have fooled me, but it was almost like the two of them had some kind of chemistry going.
  25. KeithJ.
    May 11, 2007
    Beckingsale looks great in the outfit. Otherwise, this movie is very weak. I thought the first was pretty cool, but this one wastes all of its power. Victor was "the oldest and strongest of us" - except, NOPE, he's the third-oldest ... er, make that the fourth-oldest. And the sixth strongest now, by my count. When the movie continually tops itself, it makes it hard to take seriously. Beckingsale looks great in the outfit. Otherwise, this movie is very weak. I thought the first was pretty cool, but this one wastes all of its power. Victor was "the oldest and strongest of us" - except, NOPE, he's the third-oldest ... er, make that the fourth-oldest. And the sixth strongest now, by my count. When the movie continually tops itself, it makes it hard to take seriously. The final battle was a foregone conclusion. We already know Kate's stronger than Marcus going into it. Expand
  26. HansN.
    Aug 9, 2006
    Awesome movie loved every minute.
  27. EmilyD.
    Jul 25, 2006
    I loved this movie like i love the 1st one, though the 1st one stayed more to a capible theme more so, than the 2nd one it was still good! somethings were a lil off but it explaned the 1st one to me much better!...& it stayed w/n the same plot!..so i every much so enjoyed it & have seen it 5 or 6 times.
  28. ChrisH.
    Jul 13, 2006
    Good movie. I got what I expected. Any idiot going into this expecting an amazing story and wonderful thespian acting was probably disappointed. If you go into an action movie about vampires expecting that you need to give your head a shake. If you go in expecting to see some good action, decent acting, and Kate being hot, then you'll enjoy this movie. I hate all of these wannabe Good movie. I got what I expected. Any idiot going into this expecting an amazing story and wonderful thespian acting was probably disappointed. If you go into an action movie about vampires expecting that you need to give your head a shake. If you go in expecting to see some good action, decent acting, and Kate being hot, then you'll enjoy this movie. I hate all of these wannabe movie critics getting on here and bashing movies for the incorrect reasons. Expand
  29. ChrisW.
    Jun 24, 2006
    What the hell was that? I enjoyed the first one because it was very unique, but this one... boring! I'm only giving it a 1 because Kate is smokin' in that outfit.
  30. AndyP.
    Jun 20, 2006
    I found this movie hilariously bad! The sex scene with Scott Speedman humping Kate Beckinsales abdomen was especially great. The plot was incoherent, the action was kind of boring, and the acting was mediocre. How this has as high a user rating as it does baffles me, but it did give me more laughs than any other movie this year!
  31. Roger
    Jun 19, 2006
    Great storyline, special effects borderline great, acting was very good. Looking forward to rest of story.
  32. AlecB.
    Jun 13, 2006
    This is got to be the worst piece of crap in movie history.i mean come on i couldve took my video camera to my basement and filmed a better movie than this crap.the first of the series was great so i thought that this was going to be good but boy was i wrong.if it wasnt for all of the voilence i wouldve gave this crap a zero.
  33. JackS.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Better than the first and better than I expected. They developed the history more which was nice but was still able to be inventive with the action. Overall a good popcorn flick. Don't take it too seriously.
  34. ValerieL.
    Mar 21, 2006
    Lots of chances, to tell an interesting dark Vampire story...but lots of blood, a long love-scene and too long fight-scenes do not compensate the worse and confusing story. Just another bad Vampire B-movie. What a waste of time.
  35. KelvinL.
    Mar 15, 2006
    Decent enough popcorn fantasy/action movie. And Ms.Beckinsale does look good doing her Lara Croft impressions. The film could do with a few more twist and suprises as you never really thought Ms.Beckinsale was ever in danger of losing her fight against the main villain. I think that has to be one of the main critisms of both Underworld movies. The main villains are bigged up to be some Decent enough popcorn fantasy/action movie. And Ms.Beckinsale does look good doing her Lara Croft impressions. The film could do with a few more twist and suprises as you never really thought Ms.Beckinsale was ever in danger of losing her fight against the main villain. I think that has to be one of the main critisms of both Underworld movies. The main villains are bigged up to be some indestructable, invincible beast but when they finally get it on with Serena they some how lose their destructive powers and Serena never seems to have to struggle THAT hard to overcome her main foes. Would like to see Serena take a lot more damage physically in her battles so that it adds a bit more grit to the proceedings. Still it was a sight more entertaining than a lot of so called "serious" films. Expand
  36. PaulA.
    Mar 11, 2006
    This movie was great. i think if the critics had watched ultraviolet first then maybe the critc score would have shot up another 20 points for this movie, it has style and action i like the story much better than the movies its being compared to(blade/matrix). overall this is just a fun movie nothing more nothing less.
  37. MikeF.
    Mar 4, 2006
    Perfect Vampire Movie. Great Action, good CGI Effects, great Score and again a sexy Kate Beckinsale.
  38. ChadS.
    Mar 3, 2006
    Pride? Hubris? If the vampires discharge firearms, why do the lichens constantly put themselves at a disadvantage? Don't they have opposable thumbs, too? Another thing of fascination for me was how the film artfully hides Kate Beckinsale's nipples during her nude love scene. And that she curses twice. You can at least admire "Underworld: Evolution['s]" refusal to tone down Pride? Hubris? If the vampires discharge firearms, why do the lichens constantly put themselves at a disadvantage? Don't they have opposable thumbs, too? Another thing of fascination for me was how the film artfully hides Kate Beckinsale's nipples during her nude love scene. And that she curses twice. You can at least admire "Underworld: Evolution['s]" refusal to tone down for a PG-13 rating. But it's boring. And possesses no sense of humor. In the opening scene, a filmmaker with any flair would've given his audience vampiric horses. Expand
    Mar 3, 2006
    Good movie overall, but the action far overpowers the plot (which is actually a very good plot, if you can get to it well enough) and Kate's acting is mostly horrible - though she does look good in tight clothing.
  40. RyanF.
    Feb 27, 2006
    Although this movie has some really weird occurences: Why are they in another country and why is a 19 year old [whatever] having sex with a god-who-knows how old vampire. The heli scene at the end of the movie was action at its best. But, I think I can only recommend this movie to people who have seen the first. I look forward to Underworld 3.
  41. RyanB.
    Feb 21, 2006
    This movie is not the best movie but it is really good. The story is about vampires that go to war at each other because one vampire wanted a key to realese his brother from a prison that was stone in a small tight space. He gets the key and kills is father for it. Parts in this movie are hard to follow but near the middle to the end you should understand everything.
  42. ClongTT
    Feb 20, 2006
    Great action packed movie. Great entertainment. Not for those looking for a Syriana or Constant Gardener.
    Feb 17, 2006
    This sequel makes even less sense than the mediocre and boring first movie.
  44. Chrissy
    Feb 11, 2006
    Im somewhat surprised at how high the users have rated this movie. Although it most likely will greatly appeal to certain groups of people. It definately has an immature flavor to it. Not unlike the first movie, it makes little sense when you watch it. Not one of the worst movies of the year, but hardly worth the money. Definately find a better movie to go see.
  45. Brooke
    Feb 8, 2006
    I thought the movie was great! It was exciting, and it kept you on the edge of your seat the entire time!
  46. JonS.
    Feb 7, 2006
    Critics are exactly what they sound like...too critical. They think too much and their rating of this movie is a good example of it. This dark vampire/werewolf movie sure doesn't come close to being one of the greatest movies of the year, but it does do what most people want...it entertains! Scantily clad Beckinsale, bloody vampires and werewolves, superhuman beings that tear things Critics are exactly what they sound like...too critical. They think too much and their rating of this movie is a good example of it. This dark vampire/werewolf movie sure doesn't come close to being one of the greatest movies of the year, but it does do what most people want...it entertains! Scantily clad Beckinsale, bloody vampires and werewolves, superhuman beings that tear things apart...Good movie, not the best, but critics need to learn what NORMAL people look for in a movie. 90% of moviegoers want entertainment and "Underworld: Evolution" delivered just that! Expand
  47. NickB
    Feb 5, 2006
    middle-aged non goth vampire-hating movie goer here, and I can safely say that I enjoyed Underworld Evolutions nearly as much as the first....and a bit more, since it manages to tighten up the pace of the action a bit while still sticking to a convluted story that leaves you stratching your head, wondering "what the heck happened?" and "are there any vampires or werewolves left alive at middle-aged non goth vampire-hating movie goer here, and I can safely say that I enjoyed Underworld Evolutions nearly as much as the first....and a bit more, since it manages to tighten up the pace of the action a bit while still sticking to a convluted story that leaves you stratching your head, wondering "what the heck happened?" and "are there any vampires or werewolves left alive at the end of all this???" Nonetheless, a cut above all the other vampire flicks out there (Blade being very low on my list of decent vamp flicks) if you prefer style, action, and obtuse storylines to dished-out pablum. I imagine hardcore V:TR fans and goths might not appreciate this film as much since it tries to speak to a (slightly) larger audience with its hollywood over-the-top action.....but I enjoyed it. Expand
  48. MaxL.
    Feb 1, 2006
    Crappy movie. What the heck was all the fuzz about? Terrible and even worse dialogue than the first one. Yes, Beckinsale is still looking way hot in latex but that's just not enough. Gorier and bloodier than the first but not better and the first one wasn't that good to start with.
  49. JasonY.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Anyone who sees this movie should be prepared to feel just a little taken advantage of after all is said and done. Clearly it's intended for lower life forms. Although, I think even plankton or jellyfish would be bored slimeless by this pathetic tour de farce. They manage to make Kate Beckinsale in tight leather depressing for God's sake!
  50. ChelseaD.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Did everyone who rated this movie so far have something to do with it or something? Even for popcorn movie bull, this movie was god awful. The first one was at least fairly decent, but I can't believe I wasted my money on this crap.
  51. ThomasI.
    Jan 29, 2006
    I made a mistake. I went in trusting the user reviews on this site when I should have have known that they exist only to berate critics that know what they're talking about. I haven't made such an error since "Mission to Mars" six years ago, and I was humiliated beyond reason then. Stupid 15 year old goth kids and their bleak, bloody, Blade / Matrix clone junk.
  52. TomD.
    Jan 28, 2006
    A million more render bars couldn't save this baby from the dingos [although count on the inevitable third film to include even more top dollar 720° camera moves]. If you're way into myspace-style goth, love dystopian mist over dark 'somewhere in Europe' landscapes and you have a sweet tooth for brainless visual stimulation, this may be the dog whistle you've A million more render bars couldn't save this baby from the dingos [although count on the inevitable third film to include even more top dollar 720° camera moves]. If you're way into myspace-style goth, love dystopian mist over dark 'somewhere in Europe' landscapes and you have a sweet tooth for brainless visual stimulation, this may be the dog whistle you've been saving your ears for. Expand
  53. PaulC.
    Jan 26, 2006
    It was incredible.....I liked it more than the first, not to say the first one was bad, but with more gore, action and a story line that did make sense no matter what the boring critics say it was great. I saw it twice in the theatre and my friends loved it too. Its a must see, and i hope they make another one.
  54. David
    Jan 26, 2006
    great movie and very intense. I found nothing lacking in this movie and will be waiting for #3.
  55. DinuF.
    Jan 26, 2006
    Not smart, but very entertaining for rainy sundays. We liked it and the only drawback was that its end came somewhat surprising.
  56. KevinS.
    Jan 26, 2006
    I thought this was really good, it also added alot of action and gore to this one. also i dont get why every critic is saying this movie was bad. i cant wait till this one comes out on dvd.
  57. DianaJ.
    Jan 25, 2006
    The movie was great, I hope there is another part to this, I love the scenes in this one, it was better than the first.
  58. CameronB.
    Jan 25, 2006
    Bloody Awesome!
  59. DavidB.
    Jan 24, 2006
    It was thouroughly entertaining. I don't get why these film snobs that rate movies like this so low, even go in the first place. What the hell do you expect? It's a vampire movie. You don't go eat at Outback Steakhouse, order caviar and Cristal, then act all surprised when you realize they don't have it. Come on, next time use a little comon sense before you walk in It was thouroughly entertaining. I don't get why these film snobs that rate movies like this so low, even go in the first place. What the hell do you expect? It's a vampire movie. You don't go eat at Outback Steakhouse, order caviar and Cristal, then act all surprised when you realize they don't have it. Come on, next time use a little comon sense before you walk in the theater. It had lots of action, it was stylish, and it had Kate Beckinsale, enough said. If you liked the first one, you won't be disapointed. Expand
  60. BrentH.
    Jan 24, 2006
    This movie did exactly what it was supposed to, entertain me. Sure the critics (and those scattered few) hated it, it didn't make a political statement, break new ground in film making, or inspire us with art and culture, it's a vampire movie. The people who gave this a low rating must not have realized that going into it. What did they expect? If you want good stylish action, This movie did exactly what it was supposed to, entertain me. Sure the critics (and those scattered few) hated it, it didn't make a political statement, break new ground in film making, or inspire us with art and culture, it's a vampire movie. The people who gave this a low rating must not have realized that going into it. What did they expect? If you want good stylish action, and entertainment, go see this movie. If you want compelling film making, then go see Munich. Expand
  61. Tonydannie
    Jan 24, 2006
    This one was as good if not a tad better then the original. Kate is still HOT sexy on her skin tight outfit and the flying Vampire would kick the crap out of Van Helsing's Dracula any day. Great popcorn flick.
  62. TylerT.
    Jan 23, 2006
    In my Opinion its a very good movie perfect sequel the gore conetent is enough to keep someone watching, but the storyline is great too, visuals are stunning, the acting is great. My only problem with it is that i lvoed the firts one but this one ahs so much action in it watching eth first one again tends to amke it seem boring, so i cant wait for evolution to come out on DVD. P.S. - i In my Opinion its a very good movie perfect sequel the gore conetent is enough to keep someone watching, but the storyline is great too, visuals are stunning, the acting is great. My only problem with it is that i lvoed the firts one but this one ahs so much action in it watching eth first one again tends to amke it seem boring, so i cant wait for evolution to come out on DVD. P.S. - i read a comment saying that it took place in america in the first one but no it didnt, both movies take place in Budapest, Hungary. Micheal is an american intern working at the hospital, he moved to budapest after his g/f died in the car crash he talks about in the first one. Expand
  63. WilliamGoodall
    Jan 23, 2006
    Excellent sequel. Anyone who liked the first film will find this one bigger faster and better. People who didn't like the first one will dislike this one even more.
  64. mv
    Jan 23, 2006
    If you liked the first you'll love this.
  65. KevinG
    Jan 23, 2006
    Normally I dont go to these sort of films so didnt go in with any expectations, never saw the first one and really enjoyed it... enough said really. The Critic are being far too harsh on this one.
  66. Madelinemeller
    Jan 23, 2006
    Oh yes, this Movie was fantastic. Gory, bloody & sexy.
  67. ThomasRay
    Perfect Vampire Movie!
  68. Nick
    Jan 22, 2006
    It delivered. Much better than the critics said.
  69. BrettP
    Jan 22, 2006
    The critics want shakespere, I tell them go watch Interview with a Vampire... I wanted action, seamless cgi, and to see a phenomnialy good looking woman. I also wanted a movie that woke me up and I didn't have to strain to understand the finite details of the plot. If you didn't see the first one, don't complain if some of the elements are lost to you. This movie does well The critics want shakespere, I tell them go watch Interview with a Vampire... I wanted action, seamless cgi, and to see a phenomnialy good looking woman. I also wanted a movie that woke me up and I didn't have to strain to understand the finite details of the plot. If you didn't see the first one, don't complain if some of the elements are lost to you. This movie does well for a sci-fi/horror junkie, despite a few silly dialog choices... -brett Expand
  70. DarthCapricus
    Jan 22, 2006
    I liked it alot. The special effects were awesome.
  71. MarcD
    Jan 22, 2006
    Another waste of time from Beckinsale. First Underworld...then Van Helsing...and now...this mess.
  72. BenK.
    Jan 22, 2006
    Apparently Uwe Boll has followed up Bloodrayne with this stinker. Both films lack a soul. Within the first minute I regretted purchasing a ticket. Boring, pointless, confusing, this film has no redeeming value except to make money. Who cares about action or special effects if you have nothing to say and can't even tell a story. Taking someone to this film is akin to kidnapping.
  73. SeanD.
    Jan 22, 2006
    once again the critics know nothing, great sequel to a great movie!
  74. Mott
    Jan 22, 2006
    The movie is about a 2 or 3, but I am giving it a zero because its stupid people that go to these movies and rate it 8s and 10s that make someone in hollywood make worse sequels off of already terrible movies.
  75. Patirck
    Jan 22, 2006
    first Off F..k the chritics ya they know some good movies but there people so we are just a good as they are! one word to discribe this movie: Breathtakeing! It's great first off it starts off where the first one left off great move to keep the moumentiam going! One again selen brings us another action pack highly exciting movie with realy good elements like a really good story and first Off F..k the chritics ya they know some good movies but there people so we are just a good as they are! one word to discribe this movie: Breathtakeing! It's great first off it starts off where the first one left off great move to keep the moumentiam going! One again selen brings us another action pack highly exciting movie with realy good elements like a really good story and the story of the romance of selen&michael the Cg was do really nicelie done and i can tell they put all the hard work to bring this charthers in there on ways with they pull off doing nicely one of my fav seens are the passion scen if u go see the movie u will see what i mean:} lets just say they both look good with there clothes off! They got realy good actors and well casted??sometimes sequels r better than the first but this one does pull it off note:few i think?? i cam out the theather seeing people smile and hearing people say that was worth the waith no bull! I can't wait for a sequel it will be better than this one or just as good as the this one???it just a great winning film in your mind that u r going to love. the chritics where do i start well i don't have to the name says it all:}! check this movie OUT! [Ed- Mikey, I think he likes it] Expand
  76. EricY.
    Jan 22, 2006
    I thought the movie was very entertaining. The effects were awesome. Usually effects like these look so fake, but in Underworld they looked very realistic. I couldn't figure out where the movie was supposed to take place. In the last movie, it seemed like they were in the U.S. Everyone spoke English. This time, all these people were running around speaking some other language and the I thought the movie was very entertaining. The effects were awesome. Usually effects like these look so fake, but in Underworld they looked very realistic. I couldn't figure out where the movie was supposed to take place. In the last movie, it seemed like they were in the U.S. Everyone spoke English. This time, all these people were running around speaking some other language and the cops were foreign. I don't know why they tried to make the plot look like it was in a foreign country. I guess because no Europeans lived in the U.S. 500 years ago. They just moved the story somewhere else to make up for it, I guess. Anyway, that really bothered me. I mean, Michael was a med student w/ other people and cops who all spoke english in the first movie and now everyone not associated with the main plot speaks a foreign language. That was kind of lame. I thought it was a wonderful movie for those of us who enjoy the genre (vampire flicks). Very exciting film. I loved the final battle! Expand
  77. B-dawgD.
    Jan 22, 2006
    Not quite as solid as the original. Story doesn't build as well, and scenes aren't as interesting or fun as the original. But you will love this if you liked the first one. I'd compare Underworld 1 and 2 to Resident Evil 1 and 2. The first one has a better story, develops better and has better overall scenes. The second has more action and more creatures. I'd rate Not quite as solid as the original. Story doesn't build as well, and scenes aren't as interesting or fun as the original. But you will love this if you liked the first one. I'd compare Underworld 1 and 2 to Resident Evil 1 and 2. The first one has a better story, develops better and has better overall scenes. The second has more action and more creatures. I'd rate Underworld 1 9/10, I give part 2 8/10. Check this out also if you enjoy the Blade movies (which you should!). Expand
  78. TracyM.
    Jan 22, 2006
    I would have given it a higher score if we weren't cursing the well place leg hiding the view of Speedman's bootie. Come on, it went so low on Kate's abs, I thought maybe Len was filming a home movie.
  79. TaylorS.
    Jan 22, 2006
    I wasn't a big fan of the first one, and I'm not just giving this a 10 because of my Kate, I believe this movie was EXTREMELY entertaining, and a great sequel at that. I really hope people say screw the critics because this is way different than what they say...they said in the Toronto Start that it made no sense, yet I understood the whole thing, this is no Titanic storyline so I wasn't a big fan of the first one, and I'm not just giving this a 10 because of my Kate, I believe this movie was EXTREMELY entertaining, and a great sequel at that. I really hope people say screw the critics because this is way different than what they say...they said in the Toronto Start that it made no sense, yet I understood the whole thing, this is no Titanic storyline so give it a rest, it was never supposed to be, see this movie! Expand
  80. GodComplex
    Jan 21, 2006
    Simply awesome.! Great action, and good flow from first movie to the second, sorta like LOTR. Stil....I feel that there has never been a movie that has captured a VtM esq storyline/powers, or the over all curse of vampirism very well. Even Interview with the Vampire seemed lacking. The Underworld series has been a continued suprise.
  81. Alex
    Jan 21, 2006
    I guess it would have helped if i had seen the first movie, but there were some parts of this movie that just didn't make sense. it was good, but not quite what i had expected.
  82. JG
    Jan 21, 2006
    It was o.k. There was long sex scene. I thought it would have meaning to the film i.e. baby hybrid or something. No nothing at all. The brother feud was weak storyline at best. Michael was supposed to get weaker because lack of blood but Selene gives him a few drops here and there he is a stallion. This was almost a complete waste of film.
  83. DarenM.
    Jan 21, 2006
    Just finished watching it on the biggest screen with the best surround in the theater. If you like the first one you'll like the second. They go into the family line, flash backs to fill in parts that were missing from the first one. Lots of interesting plot twistst. The make out scene is poorly timed, didn't seem to fit in, but everyone I talked too still liked it. Comparable Just finished watching it on the biggest screen with the best surround in the theater. If you like the first one you'll like the second. They go into the family line, flash backs to fill in parts that were missing from the first one. Lots of interesting plot twistst. The make out scene is poorly timed, didn't seem to fit in, but everyone I talked too still liked it. Comparable in timing as Neo & Trinity make out scene in the Matrix. This is a true Vampire / Warewolf action movie and it does have the feel of Matrix and Blade, but unique in and of it's own. Expand
  84. DavidM.
    Jan 21, 2006
    Another mediocre entry into the ever growing modern vampire movie list. Like all of its counterparts it strives to bring something "new and cool" to the genre but ends up reheating the same leftovers and becomes indistinguishable from the likes of Blade(1, 2, and 3) and Bloodrayne. If you enjoy seeing the same story but with marginally updated effects, this is the movie for you. If you Another mediocre entry into the ever growing modern vampire movie list. Like all of its counterparts it strives to bring something "new and cool" to the genre but ends up reheating the same leftovers and becomes indistinguishable from the likes of Blade(1, 2, and 3) and Bloodrayne. If you enjoy seeing the same story but with marginally updated effects, this is the movie for you. If you want original and engaging cinema, look away and hope they don Expand
  85. MaxC.
    Jan 21, 2006
    The critics are NOT right. Just 35% for the Sequel of Underworld 2? Tsss, the user votes are RIGHT. This movie is great. I don't understand the critics. This is not a 3/10 movie, it's more. Great action, great cast, nice story ... Marcus was great. he's the real Dracula and not the kid of Blade 3. I loved this movie and i must see it again! 10 Points!
  86. HarryM.
    Jan 21, 2006
    All i can say: PERFECT! Thank you Len for this masterpiece.
  87. GregoryF.
    Jan 21, 2006
    I give this movie and 8.5-9 because I really enjoted it. I Twas a fun, entertaining film. The special Fx for the most part were better and on par then first. The action was great. Marcus and Kate both did great jobs. If you like the orginal see this movie. I don't think critics give it enough credit.
  88. Gus
    Jan 21, 2006
    If you're not a fan of the genre and walk in with modest expectations, you will not be disappointed. the action, dialogue, and bouncing around is all according to type, with zero innovation and mild excitement. while the writing is formulaic and the plot forgettable, the film is finely paced and rather kinetic. it moves speedily along. the acting is decent for the genre. one or two ofIf you're not a fan of the genre and walk in with modest expectations, you will not be disappointed. the action, dialogue, and bouncing around is all according to type, with zero innovation and mild excitement. while the writing is formulaic and the plot forgettable, the film is finely paced and rather kinetic. it moves speedily along. the acting is decent for the genre. one or two of the supporting players stand out above the otherwise banal proceedings. the director and the editor deserve the only superlatives for setting the film's smooth rhythm. Expand
  89. RyanD.
    Jan 21, 2006
    There were far too many flash backs in this movie to maintain any fluidity. There were also far too many errors, Lycans and Vampires went from being almost impossible to kill, to being as fragile as mortals. And worst of all the two original brothers were killed with any of the myths holding true.
  90. H.P.
    Jan 21, 2006
    Wow a lot better than i thought it would be!! Lots of violence, and a good ass kicking all around, i like how they kept it moving so you wouldnt have to endure the crappy acting.
  91. Matt
    Jan 21, 2006
    The critics are right this is a 2 or 3 out of 10 movies. The fact the user score is 9.1 scares the hell out of me. It's people like that are responsible for hollywood to continue to make these generic, lame, stupid, retread movies.
  92. Steve
    Jan 21, 2006
    This movie falls off ever so slightly from the the first. There was not as much suspense in this movie. Leaving off from the first movie, you knew exactly what the movie had to do to deliver a quality second movie. This sequel thows in a simple twist that you won't be able to predict from watching the first, but the twist is not so far fetched to be unbelievable. For the most part, This movie falls off ever so slightly from the the first. There was not as much suspense in this movie. Leaving off from the first movie, you knew exactly what the movie had to do to deliver a quality second movie. This sequel thows in a simple twist that you won't be able to predict from watching the first, but the twist is not so far fetched to be unbelievable. For the most part, you know exactly what the movie's story was going to be about, and it did deliver. If you can get past a few cheesy moments, and you liked the first movie, you'll enjoy this one just as much. Expand
  93. MikeW.
    Jan 21, 2006
    Great Movie. Marcus is very cool & Kate again sexy. The first one is nice, but to slow. The sequel is fantastic!
  94. JasonQ.
    Jan 21, 2006
    I thought this movie was great! Although not as much of a story as in the first one. The ending left a little to be desired.
  95. RyanW.
    Jan 21, 2006
    Underworld: Evolution was a continuous of forbidden love. It explored all the elements of protecting that love, something Lucian and Sonja (Viktor's Daughter) weren't granted.
  96. AaronS.
    Jan 21, 2006
    I enjoyed it, although I admit that Beckinsale was a major drawcard in my decision to go see it in the first place. It was a real comic book movie & fine if you do I did & ignored all the inconsistencies with the first film and enjoyed the ride. Len keeps a decent pace on the plot/action so you don't have too much time to get bogged down thinking anyway. I'm sure no critic will I enjoyed it, although I admit that Beckinsale was a major drawcard in my decision to go see it in the first place. It was a real comic book movie & fine if you do I did & ignored all the inconsistencies with the first film and enjoyed the ride. Len keeps a decent pace on the plot/action so you don't have too much time to get bogged down thinking anyway. I'm sure no critic will give this higher than a 7 out of 10 at best, as any "dark" comic book movie gets universally panned as far as I've ever seen (e.g. the first Underworld, Sin City etc.) Expand
  97. RickB.
    Jan 20, 2006
    More exciting than the first and more interesting, too.
  98. VanM.
    Jan 20, 2006
    [***SPOILERS***] It is in every way a lot better then the first one, but does lack some simple things. One there wasnt as much suspense as the first one. Even though there was a ton of action and gore, and ruthless violence it lacked that feeling where you didnt know what was going to happen next. I am a huge fan of gore and werewolfs, and this proved a very worthy quincher for my [***SPOILERS***] It is in every way a lot better then the first one, but does lack some simple things. One there wasnt as much suspense as the first one. Even though there was a ton of action and gore, and ruthless violence it lacked that feeling where you didnt know what was going to happen next. I am a huge fan of gore and werewolfs, and this proved a very worthy quincher for my appettite. The story was good, and the effects were great. Now the small thyings that made it a little cheesy. The eneding was a little wierd, we take the whole movie till we see the big bad ass werewolf and boom, he barely does anything, except sit there and get riddeled with bullet after bullet. And then came the helicopter crashing through the roof. Although cool, extremely cheesy, it reminded me of the ending from "Sudden Impact" that hockey, terroist Jean Claude-Van Damme movie. All in all it was a great sequel, with one kick ass opening that will sure to be great for years to come. I give great props to the director, to try something new, and if i were him being able to make a huge movie, i as well wouldve have proably crashed a helicopter threw the cieling as well. So if you like gore, violence, and monsters and good looking Lead Actress then def. go see this movie. Expand
  99. GrantN.
    Jan 20, 2006
    If you like this movie you probably are 10, like movies like The Cave, and will give a movie a score above an 8 if it has nudity in it. Underworld: Evolution is a dreadful movie that is worse than its predescor in every way concievable. The horendous dialogue would be forgivable if the action was intense and thrilling, but alas it is not. And neither is the second installment in the If you like this movie you probably are 10, like movies like The Cave, and will give a movie a score above an 8 if it has nudity in it. Underworld: Evolution is a dreadful movie that is worse than its predescor in every way concievable. The horendous dialogue would be forgivable if the action was intense and thrilling, but alas it is not. And neither is the second installment in the Underworld series. Expand
  100. DaveB.
    Jan 20, 2006
    This movie was awesome. The best action movie i have in a long time. As with the first movie don't expect any Oscar's here......but if you go to movies to have a good time check this one out or go see Brokeback Mountain...your choice. Personally i'm sticking with Kate Beckinsale in all of her butt-kicking skin-tight outfit wearing glory!!!

There's a ton of backstory behind Underworld: Evolution, which gets slightly denser and rowdier than its predecessor, but it's ultimately all in the service of a nigh-endless series of numbing, mechanical battles in which snarling protagonists and CGI monsters shoot, claw, and bloodily eviscerate each other. In other words, it's "Underworld," but more of it.
  2. Unfortunately, there's little wit or genuine suspense to elevate the proceedings above the level of a cheesy comic book.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Overall package is potent. A few rock-the-house scenes of slam-bang derring-do -- are nothing short of sensationally exciting.