Screen Gems | Release Date: September 19, 2003
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 545 Ratings
WATCH NOW
cabritaSep 29, 2012
For me I found the film somewhat dull however it delivered great visuals and the odd scene that captured my attention. Also very good voice over narration from the protagonist. It must be set clear that this is not the type of film thatFor me I found the film somewhat dull however it delivered great visuals and the odd scene that captured my attention. Also very good voice over narration from the protagonist. It must be set clear that this is not the type of film that really appeals to me. Expand
grandpajoe6191Oct 1, 2011
"Underworld" decently presents the raging battle between the monstrous Lycans and blood-craving vampires. It's not scary thanks to its war-focusing plot, but at least the film's decently entertaining.
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
Vampires at war with Werewolves, man with rare blood type, in-fighting, Head Vampire gets awoken, general nonsense.
I saw this about four years ago & thought it was ok & the Werewolves were very good. On this re-watch, it's not very good at all. The effects are pretty average, the acting terrible (even with Michael Sheen in it) & Kate Beckinsale spends most of her time pouting, flicking her hair & jumping around in slow motion.
Tries so hard to be cult & cool but falls well short of the mark.
spadenxDec 26, 2011
The acting was pretty terrible (besides Michael Sheen's performance) and the action sequences sucked really hard. I did enjoy the plot though and it did keep me interested in it but it could have been told in a lot shorter time. I feel the 2+The acting was pretty terrible (besides Michael Sheen's performance) and the action sequences sucked really hard. I did enjoy the plot though and it did keep me interested in it but it could have been told in a lot shorter time. I feel the 2+ hours run time pushes it far too much. Still, Underworld simply has something that makes me intersted in it. I was a bit disapointed in this film but I still have hopes for the sequel. Expand
imthenoobNov 9, 2012
It's not that it's a bad movie. There is a ton of potential here for a pretty good series due to the very interesting story. However, the special effects in this film are rather awful, So bad that it's laughable at times. The acting is on theIt's not that it's a bad movie. There is a ton of potential here for a pretty good series due to the very interesting story. However, the special effects in this film are rather awful, So bad that it's laughable at times. The acting is on the weak side as well despite having an experianced cast. Overall, the potential is there but it's still a below average film. Expand
CarlosFJul 18, 2009
The plot is too over-the-top, taking it self too seriously. Beckinsale doesn't really act a lot, but Speedman is completely irritating. This is a derivative movie, nothing is really happening, just a bit of fighting and some unespected The plot is too over-the-top, taking it self too seriously. Beckinsale doesn't really act a lot, but Speedman is completely irritating. This is a derivative movie, nothing is really happening, just a bit of fighting and some unespected "plot twists". However, is basically a CGI-action movie. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
SpangleNov 20, 2016
Based on her role selections in the 2000s, I feel it is fair to conclude that Kate Beckinsale exclusively sought out roles that had her wearing black spandex while shooting mythical beasts. Underworld certainly fits that bill and reallyBased on her role selections in the 2000s, I feel it is fair to conclude that Kate Beckinsale exclusively sought out roles that had her wearing black spandex while shooting mythical beasts. Underworld certainly fits that bill and really started this trend for Beckinsale. In this film, she is a vampire who kills lycans (werewolves) for a living, as part of the long war between the two factions. Directed by Beckinsale's husband as of 2004, Len Wiseman, and co-starring her partner as of 2003, Michael Sheen, Underworld is cited as the film where she left Sheen for Wiseman. Oddly enough, she was the one who wanted Sheen to be cast in the film. Awkward. That aside, however, Underworld is a thoroughly entertaining fantasy shoot 'em up with great mythology and stylish action sequences that make up for its lesser elements.

With great mythology and background to the issues afflicting the vampires and the werewolves in this world, Underworld really takes its time and develops the hatred. Throughout, the film manages to nimbly switch between the two sides and have the audience develop sympathy for both sides. As many critics cited upon its release in 2003, this is really the film's greatest asset. Its success with it is up for debate, but what is not up for debate is the depth and scope of its mythology and how truly intriguing it shapes up to be. By the end of the film, it truly becomes a shame that all of the sequels are seen as being so bad, because spending more time in this world would be a truly captivating exercise.

Another strength here is the action. The whole film is seemingly shot through a blue filter, which is actually quite appealing and really does work with these action sequences. Cited as a rip-off of The Matrix by some for its use of trenchcoats and slow motion action scenes, Underworld's action is hardly attractive. It is also quite nonsensical with endless magazines and shootouts in public that hit nobody. This does not mean it is not slick as all get out, however. Very well shot and quite visually appealing, the action's style really hides up its blemishes nicely. In particular, there is a scene where Selene (Kate Beckinsale) spins around and shoots out the floor around her to create a hole in the floor, allowing her to drop down to the next floor. Obviously, this is very stupid. Yet, it does look very good.

In terms of acting, it can be quite hammy. However, who does not want to see Beckinsale, Michael Sheen, and Bill Nighy, ham it up? Plus, their characters are actually quite good, allowing them to have a lot to chew on in the roles. In particular, the character of Viktor, played by Nighy, is great. An elder vampire who is awoken by Selene upon the discovery of a conspiracy within their midst, Viktor is a towering figure. Instilling terror and fear wherever he goes, Viktor is a truly menacing vampire and Nighy captures this terrifically. Sheen was also very good in his role as Lucien, a werewolf. The leader of the werewolves, Sheen is both strict, tyrannical, and highly sympathetic in his role, especially once we begin to learn more-and-more about him. Quite well-written, Sheen really makes the most of the role from an emotional standpoint.

On the negative, Underworld is simply absurd. As mentioned before, it is quite fantastical with a lot of action movie cliches. With missed shots abounding, the film's mythology saves it from becoming just a run-of-the-mill action movie, but that does mean the film does not still come close to being the furthest thing from original. It compounds this problem with a terrible romance element between Selene and Michael (Scott Speedman). Unconvincing and greatly rushed, the romance merely distracts from the plot, rather than helping advance it. For many Hollywood action movies, this is a problem and it is certainly one in Underworld.

Entertaining and easy to digest, Underworld is hardly the most challenging film ever released. However, it is a fun watch with great mythology that proves to be an worthy diversion and popcorn film.
EpicLadySpongeMar 17, 2016
When vampires attack werewolves, the vampires had to prepare themselves for the werewolves' next attack. Sadly, this one (and its sequels) is not it. You'll possibly find another one that's obviously better than this.