7.4

1. Oct 2, 2011
    Not my kind of vampire movie. Especially the fact that they've given them guns. Its not the worst though. It has the action packed thrill to it though.
  2. Feb 19, 2012
    Yea I know this review is a lil' late but I got to tell you, I'd rather watch this film ten times in one ago without breaks then sit through 1 film of the terribly Twilight Saga series. PROS: Kate in cat suit, Good acting, cool character design, an interesting intake in the Vampire vs Werewolf phenomenon and did I mention Kate in cat suit?
    CONS: Forgettable side characters, occasional
    CONS: Forgettable side characters, occasional effy writing especially in filler scenes, anti-climactic looking Hybrid. Seriously I expected something really awesome and cool but no its just a muscular guy with black skin and eyes, pretty simple and lame
  3. Jul 24, 2012
    Underworld is an excellent horror / monster movie mash-up that makes great use of it's backstory and lore. The devil is in the details and the Underworld series spins a unique web of bloodlines, ancient traditions and old world betrayals. There's a lot in this franchise to sink your teeth into, if you so wish. This first Underworld effort is probably outdone by it's excellent sequel, ifUnderworld is an excellent horror / monster movie mash-up that makes great use of it's backstory and lore. The devil is in the details and the Underworld series spins a unique web of bloodlines, ancient traditions and old world betrayals. There's a lot in this franchise to sink your teeth into, if you so wish. This first Underworld effort is probably outdone by it's excellent sequel, if only by slim margin. Nether-the-less, the acting is great, the art design and effects are spot on and the action scenes are impressive. The movie has a great balance. Basically speaking, Underworld is the perfect start for a much underrated franchise. Expand
  4. Jun 8, 2012
    I LOVE Kate Beckinsale. She is amazing and the guy who plays Michael was a pretty good choice. As a matter of fact, it seems that all the actors played their characters well. The back story is pretty good and I love the way they filmed it, but I just wish there would have been better choreography and a better final battle.
  5. Sep 29, 2012
    For me I found the film somewhat dull however it delivered great visuals and the odd scene that captured my attention. Also very good voice over narration from the protagonist. It must be set clear that this is not the type of film that really appeals to me.
  6. Oct 1, 2011
    "Underworld" decently presents the raging battle between the monstrous Lycans and blood-craving vampires. It's not scary thanks to its war-focusing plot, but at least the film's decently entertaining.
  7. R0Y
    Dec 13, 2011
    1st of the Underworld' trilogy.
    Not excellent but close to be one of the best Vampires/Lycans movie ever. A pitty that sometime it decline and can look like a B-movie.
  8. Feb 25, 2013
    This is a good start to what ended up being a great series! The third fourth stand-out more than the first two, but here's where it all began. Kate Beckinsale leads the way as Selene, a vampire trying to protect a human being hunted by werewolves. There is plenty of Action going on and while it gets a little dull in the slower parts it picks up towards the end. As mentioned, its not theThis is a good start to what ended up being a great series! The third fourth stand-out more than the first two, but here's where it all began. Kate Beckinsale leads the way as Selene, a vampire trying to protect a human being hunted by werewolves. There is plenty of Action going on and while it gets a little dull in the slower parts it picks up towards the end. As mentioned, its not the best in the series but a good place to start as all four films are great! Overall well worth a look Expand
  9. Aug 23, 2010
    Vampires at war with Werewolves, man with rare blood type, in-fighting, Head Vampire gets awoken, general nonsense.
    I saw this about four years ago & thought it was ok & the Werewolves were very good. On this re-watch, it's not very good at all. The effects are pretty average, the acting terrible (even with Michael Sheen in it) & Kate Beckinsale spends most of her time pouting, flicking her hair & jumping around in slow motion.
    Tries so hard to be cult & cool but falls well short of the mark.
  10. Dec 14, 2011
    Underworld is a sloppy example of filmmaking. The acting is as wooden as a bed-side table, with a terrible script and ham-fisted direction by Len Wiseman. The effects and fight scenes might have been decent a few years ago, but they simply don't hold up today. What's more, the film is far too long - the story (what little there is) could have been told in half the time. The only savingUnderworld is a sloppy example of filmmaking. The acting is as wooden as a bed-side table, with a terrible script and ham-fisted direction by Len Wiseman. The effects and fight scenes might have been decent a few years ago, but they simply don't hold up today. What's more, the film is far too long - the story (what little there is) could have been told in half the time. The only saving graces are Bill Nighy and Michael Sheen, who both have an immense amount of fun as the leaders of the vampires and werewolves respectively, but don't get enough screen time to redeem the film. Underworld plays like it's trying to be somewhere between the Matrix and Blade, but in fact it's a poor imitation of both. Expand
  11. Dec 14, 2011
    I was wrong. After watching Underworld again, I came to realise that not only is it the worst of the series, it has no redeeming features at all. It's garbage in the purest sense of the word. The acting is wooden with the best performances being ones from bit characters like Bill Nighy's Viktor and Michael Sheen's Lucian (probably why Rise of the Lycans is much more enjoyable). KateI was wrong. After watching Underworld again, I came to realise that not only is it the worst of the series, it has no redeeming features at all. It's garbage in the purest sense of the word. The acting is wooden with the best performances being ones from bit characters like Bill Nighy's Viktor and Michael Sheen's Lucian (probably why Rise of the Lycans is much more enjoyable). Kate Beckinsale lumbers from scene to scene in a sort of daze, spouting words with no semblance of feeling or thought. I can only imagine its because she is having a severe allergic reaction to the amount of leather shes wearing. Scott Speedman is tragically miscast as Michael not because he doesn't fit the character but because he is just a terrible actor. However the acting is just the beginning. Underworld is poorly directed with almost every scene being both poorly shot, framed and edited with them feeling like they are being rammed down your throat instead of neatly wrapped for your enjoyment. The main problem with the direction (by Len Wiseman) is that it is so remarkably unimaginative. It pushes no boundaries and doesn't try which carries over into the editing, sound mixing and everything else related to the film. The man behind the wheel should at least be able to steer. Len Wiseman got into the drivers seat drunk and everyone in the car held on for dear life.
    Summing up, its just rubbish.
  12. Dec 26, 2011
    The acting was pretty terrible (besides Michael Sheen's performance) and the action sequences sucked really hard. I did enjoy the plot though and it did keep me interested in it but it could have been told in a lot shorter time. I feel the 2+ hours run time pushes it far too much. Still, Underworld simply has something that makes me intersted in it. I was a bit disapointed in this film butThe acting was pretty terrible (besides Michael Sheen's performance) and the action sequences sucked really hard. I did enjoy the plot though and it did keep me interested in it but it could have been told in a lot shorter time. I feel the 2+ hours run time pushes it far too much. Still, Underworld simply has something that makes me intersted in it. I was a bit disapointed in this film but I still have hopes for the sequel. Expand
  13. Nov 9, 2012
    It's not that it's a bad movie. There is a ton of potential here for a pretty good series due to the very interesting story. However, the special effects in this film are rather awful, So bad that it's laughable at times. The acting is on the weak side as well despite having an experianced cast. Overall, the potential is there but it's still a below average film.
  14. Apr 2, 2012
    I watched this movie in a hotel room which I believe made it even worse. The movie has terrible acting and the action is dreadful to say the least. The movie was atrocious.
  15. Nov 2, 2012
    One of my favorite bad movie series. I like it better than the Resident Evil series. The story is way to convoluted for the subject matter and the lines are cheesy but man I love my hot women in leather shooting guns and kicking butt. I think the movie is good ol fun.
  16. Nov 8, 2012
    It tries to be The Matrix with vampires, but fails to have an actual plot or any coherent characters.

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Takes itself so seriously that it never has fun with its shopworn genre elements.
  2. Reviewed by: Alex Pappademas
    Speedman's such a nonentity here I worried that the theater air-conditioning would blow him off the screen.
    Beautiful in its dark, contrasting blues and blacks, Underworld is nonetheless a remarkably humorless movie, and not even the adroitly hammy Bill Nighy, as the vampire king, can leaven the overwrought seriousness of it all.