6.8

1. Feb 23, 2013
    In Tony Scott's third straight feature starring Denzel Washington, he takes a look at an incident that occurred 3 years prior in Ohio. The event was nowhere near the magnitude seen in Unstoppable, but it defiantly put lives at risk, and put people to the test. The story follows an incident with a runaway train and the two men who risk everything to save lives from it's dangerous cargo. Washington is terrific as always, thriving in these unsung hero roles. Chris Pine, the virtual newcomer who plays the rookie, on his first day of work, is also really good and shows the potential for a strong film career. While it's not going to surprise or shock anyone, Unstoppable was fast paced, visually impactful, and very entertaining. Expand
  2. Jan 20, 2013
    Aunque ya sabes lo qué vas a ver, te pone los pelos de punta, mantiene la adrenalina activada y una vez más demuestra que las personas normales pueden ser los verdaderos héroes.
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    One of the better action flicks I've seen in while. Other films try to take the intensity a little too far, but I thought Unstoppable was very well done. Intense from the very first scene to the last. Very good movie! Also, I like Rosario Dawson alot in this!
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    Featuring some solid acting from Chris Pine and Denzel Washington, "Unstoppable" is an almost relentless thrill ride from its humble start to its grand finish.
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    A well paced, high octane action thriller that'll have you on the edge of your seat until its predictable finale, which is a let down. It's the 21st century, and to end a movie like this, you need something more than what is here.
  6. Nov 2, 2012
    I seen this movie in the cinema expecting a Thrill ride, what I got was Speed 4 (The Father Ted Episode Speed 3 was more exciting than this movie), but only even more predictable, boring, stale... if not for the acting... I would have filed a petition to metacritic attempting to get them to add a minus rating to the score system and this would be sitting at -5 at least, waste of time and money.
  7. Aug 25, 2012
    A very good thriller which was just a little too cliched and cheesy for me to rate it any higher. Still I enjoyed myself and thought that Pine was rather good. Denzel and Tony Scott always tend to produce good action films.
  8. Apr 7, 2012
    Unbearable. Though I didn't expect much, the movie started off with some promise. But when we learned that Frank's' daughters worked at Hooters, I got a bad feeling. Tension was great until the blue engine started chasing the runaway train. Then things became predictable and manic. Some good actors were given some poor dialog and character motivation. Hard to believe such a situation reacted to and handled this way by railroad employees. And, Hooters...Really?? 04/08/12 Expand
  9. Nov 15, 2011
    A decent film at the least. Unstoppable will keep you from going on restroom, snack, and smoke breaks. Another worthy movie with Denzel that won't fail to please.
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    UNSTOPPABLE is an entertaining and fun action flick that is a great time when watched in cinemas.
  11. Sep 29, 2011
    The movie "Unstoppable" is a train itself. It frantically speeds up with a powerful pace and a active engine. Its......Unstoppable.
  12. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Predictable and cheesy acting. Almost feels like a bad 80's movie. The movie, moreover, had it's moments of suspense.
  13. Sep 21, 2011
    How this movie gets an average that pushes it into the green scores from the 'professional' critics makes me question exactly how corrupt they are; more than I thought, apparently. Swag must be good.
    I agree with JamesL that "Denzel has quit acting". I hope he gave his salary to charity. A-listers are responsible for what projects they choose, period. He's the most powerful person on
    this project, it's his fault.
    Stupid movies make everyone stupider, and our eye-holes are chock-full of them since I don't know when.
    Critics, I hope you soon join politicians and lawyers and wall street pirates as the most despised professionals, 'cause most of you are dirt.
  14. Aug 25, 2011
    I'll admit I know less about the railways and railroading than Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock combined! So whether this was factually or technically accurate in reflecting the true nuances of railroading, I will never know and neither do I give a hoot. And it is probably for those reasons that I enjoyed this film.
    Denzel was his usual wily, knowledgeable character who plays the underdog
    who comes out smelling like champagne and roses.
    Chris Pine is proving himself to be an actor of class who brings a believable feel to his character.
    Beyond the obligatory America-centric fist pumping and show of corporate negligence, the film rolls on at a consistently fast pace with some novel ideas.
    This is no Speed - because it is better due to credible actors keeping this "on track" and making it a very enjoyable few hours of entertainment.
  15. Jun 16, 2011
    I wouldn't go so far as to call it a mindless action thriller but it did meet my low expectations. It's a great movie to watch when there's nothing better to do and you're totally bored, other than that not really worth buying the DVD.
  16. Jun 1, 2011
    After rail workers lose control of a train and it begins barrelling down on rural towns in Southern Pennsylvania veteran rail worker Frank Barnes and Rookie Will Colson are the last hope in tracking it down before it destroys towns and becomes the biggest tragedy in rail history.

Unstoppable is what I would define as a standard action flick. You know the premise, you know there will be
    tense moments and you know that are only two real possible outcomes. Why I say standard action flick, is because there are going to be attempts mid way through the film to stop this runaway train, but because this plot is focused on the train and it being on the run, you know these attempts are more then likely going to fail. Itâ Expand
  17. Apr 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We live in a world where, unless someone sucks it up and makes a sad, tradgedy, you will be able to predict what will happen. Therefore, it's the stuff that happens in the middle that really matters. And Unstoppable does a good job with that. The characters are all dealing with their personal problems (except for the guy in the pickup truck) and little personality tugs (except, once again, for the guy in the pickup truck). Most of the plot holes were filled except for: why not just keep chasing the train down in a pickup truck instead of a bunch of crazy other options. And of course, I wish it was a sadder story. Probably wouldn't even have picked it up the shelf ifit wasn't. I mean, why would there be a train with toxic chemicals running off and crashing into things!? They explained that nicely with the fat guy that ended up in the fast food industry. And I think the school children should have died. But it was still one of the best movies I've ever seen (and it's competing with The Dark Knight, Inception, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, Batman Begins, and IRobot (at least one of these names has to mean something to you)). And to criticmike: the train that was "unstoppable" was going to fast to sidetrack. Expand
  18. Apr 17, 2011
    Maybe I was expecting too much from this movie, given what I was told, but I was very disappointed. Itâ
  19. Apr 12, 2011
    I was actually completely taken by surprise with this movie. I went into the theaters expecting this to be boring, as it is a movie about stopping a train. I stand corrected as the acting was superb and the editing kept things fresh and I liked how they gave the perspective of the news, and then the perspective of the people involved. I found it to definitely be worth the price of admission and I would recommend a rental if you have the time! Expand
  20. Mar 30, 2011
    This is the first film in a long time that has given me as much thrills as it has. It is had to pick up everything that is going on in the beginning, but you'll pick it up soon enough. A great thrillride!
  21. Mar 23, 2011
    Hmmm...hard movie to rate. I have to say I enjoyed it as I love D. Washington and Capt Kirk is very good in this one as well. But, a bad train can only run so long and this movie ran to long. Also, I can't get over the goofy plot involving Pine and his wife. What's that all about? She leads him to believe she is texting a lover so he draws a gun on another human, AND, he is the bad guy!!!!! Yes, there should be a protective order but it should only be to protect the wife from the justice she sorely has coming. By the end of the movie we were cheering for the train to take her out. Expand
  22. Mar 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Way too predictable. Before I watched the movie, I knew how it was going to end. They were going to stop the train and hug their families. Very disappointing. Expand
  23. Mar 19, 2011
    Script: a runaway train named 777 is heading at a rapid speed towards the city of Stanton. Meanwhile as it goes on, two persons frank and will are undertaking a locomotive named 1206. As they come to know about the unstoppable , frank devises a plan through which there are chances of stopping it. What is the plan frank devises ? how they stop the train is the movie about!
    Execution: the
    two questions are been effectively answered. The movie ran for 92 minutes with perfect execution without any boring scenes. Right from the start till the end , the movie had adrenaline rush. Thanks for the crisp editing for the thrill to keep alive at regular intervals. Direction and screenplay: tony scott had done a commendable job. Though the script is in one line , the movie is definitely a catchy one. Screenplay is very fast without any slowness.
    Casting: densel Washington and chris pine are the main characters of the movie. They have done a good job. An equal support by Rosario dawson and galvin gives the movie equal benefit. Rest characters fit well.
    Background score: the rustling train sounds right from the start till the stopping of the engine , the train roars. Set in a perfect soundscape , the train 777 will rustle and roar in the cinema halls. A perfect movie for home theatres also. The score is soothing , scintillating and sometimes picks up at right intervals. The sound editing is awesome. Editing: the editing of the movie is crisp and standard. The movie ran for 90 minutes and it seemed that the runtime was still far better. But due to crisp editing , the movie was perfectly driven with the train on board and 2 people on its way.
    Cinematography: the visuals in the movie are good. But cannot say they are awesome. The train moves and the surrounding scenaries of various towns across pensylvennia are captured. Nice view from the helicopters. It looked decent.
    VFX: the visual effects in the movie are not there to that extent. Few crashes and explosions are there. It moves off very quickly. But anyway , the scenes had good visual effects.
    Action episodes : there are 3-4 action episodes and stunt scenes performed by the lead cast. Not in terms of bashing of goons , but in terms of jumping onto the train. They are good enough. Camera zooming is good and the thrill during jumping , is intense.
    Production values: the movie has a good budget. Nicely taken and it deserves
    Entertainment value: the movie is entertaining. It is a perfect adrenaline rush movie. The viewers are hooked to the seats right from the title and the start of the 777. Till the climax scene everyone are hooked and this is a perfect treat for the weekend night along with the family. Rating: 3.5/5.0
    Final word: unstoppable is well packed action entertainer. It is a good movie. A sure hit. It deserves 4 stars but , due to lack of startling graphics and interesting cast , the movie stays with 3 ½ stars.
  24. Mar 18, 2011
    I'm sure that many people have watched this movie based solely on its surprisingly high scores on critic aggregate sites, and now I can count myself among their ranks. Of course, my expectations going in were still low enough that there was no real danger of being disappointed. I knew to expect shallow action, and that's exactly what it delivered, with a side of the good old blue collar workers as protagonists/white collar workers as antagonists dynamic thrown in for good measure. There was no more than token interest given to developing the characters, instead pretty much every scene was designed to increase the tension and excitement, and the movie was definitely both tense and exciting as a result. (http://diversionary-tactics.blogspot.com) Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2011
    I was surprised that this film was actually good. The first 5 or 10 minutes for me was pretty boring but the rest was really awesome. The acting of the most characters were really good (the acting of the daughters and Darcy wasn't that good). This is probably the best train-disaster film in recent years. The film made me believe that the characters were real (yeah only the unmanned train part of the film is based on a true story). This film is really interesting and awesome. Expand
  26. Mar 5, 2011
    The film lacks a certain amount of emotion, and maybe that's because it's so harsh (especially around the middle of the picture), but it sure does satisfy. Unstoppable is funny when it wants to be, has a great attention to detail and old-school, edge-of-your-seat action. Chris Pine and Denzel Washington shine as a duo. Due to the great cinematography and sound (not Academy Award worthy, however), the audience gets the feel of the immense power of the train which provides consistency throughout the film. Overall, this movie brings back the classic intensity and fun that brings back memories of 'Speed' with Keanu Reeves. Expand
  27. Feb 24, 2011
    Denzel is the kind of actor that could make a boring film seem interesting by his sheer presence, and he nearly does here... The film is too predictable and the once exciting director (Man on fire, True Romance,...) seems to be repeating himself...
  28. Feb 22, 2011
    I was hoping this movie might be accurate in depicting railroads as I have railroaded for over 30 years. This movie was terrible. Every cliche from the threatening boss, the rogue engineer, the kid winning his respect, the train clearly going about 15 mph when it is said to be going 70. Please. The spunky dispatcher, the lazy hostler. Trust me, when railroaders want to derail something, it gets derailed. My wife and I took 3 hours to watch this mess as I had to stop it so many times to laugh. It was insulting to railroaders and audiences. Denzel must have needed some money or was doing someone a favor. Expand
  29. Feb 21, 2011
    Denzel is lower key until the role calls for action. Every character is perfectly cast and the movie is well edited to avoid the usual long soapy scenes. The lead character is definitely the train, but I bet that was so when a similar incident happened. It was edge of the seat action. Held our attention and kept us engaged. Great fun - everything it should be.
  30. Feb 19, 2011
    "Unstoppable...not so fast." ,To me, the only incessantly-driven object was that of a watch, which bestowed upon me more suspense and intrigue than this flat, overly-rushed, under-developed "Speed" defaulter that does far too much walking and not nearly enough talking. Sure, an umanned, speeding train is exciting, but after, say...half an hour, you start to get the point: CGI action shots amidst sub-par acting; what else is new. The only breath of fresh air, albeit a quick one, comes from Washington, who although doesn't quite bring the fire he used to, still can "act" more convincingly than the entire cast combined; and do so with little to no effort. The final verdict: "Unstoppable" is a fast-paced, popcorn-eque action thriller that doesn't have the meat and potatoes to make a film with much to offer. If you are looking for a quick film to fill some time for something later, it's great. Although, if you were actually heading to the theaters to take something away from it, you're better off getting some carry-out and a cheap 24-hour rental. What will it be? Expand
  31. Jan 26, 2011
    Denzel and Scott are always good for an above average action/suspense flick and Unstoppable continues that trend. You can never go wrong with Zel but Scott could a bit more to make his movies better. The drama is good but isn't really built up to make you want things to work out for the protagonists, and so the movie just didn't hit on all cylindars like an instant classic should have been.
  32. Jan 18, 2011
    Well... this is, as many said before, and the end is already known. I mean, are you thinking a gore film with Delzel Washington? Come on! Anyway it started as it were ending, because it was predictable more than unstoppable but the characters are good enough to catch you in there own past and lives... maybe it was kinda forced in somehow... but I cannot say it was bad... then I only though the train was gonna lose one track and that's was all... but the curve part impressed me, was not predictable in that part... also we can add other few but good characters: The poor old guy who died (I think they didn't want expectators to see just death and death, maybe because the movie was not about death but the risk and the lack of responsability, and if it isn't enough... also the tension of watch such a big monster going that fast with ''chances'' of big disasters in the middle) and the genius sort of cowboy... that guy talking about precission or something else... anyway that was cool! is not the best of Chris Pine or Denzel, but no one can deny it keeps you watching and grabing your seat the whole movie... respectable. Expand
  33. Jan 17, 2011
    Denzel again! Tony Scott again! And Train again? Tony Scott (Director) must be so curious about thiz Train thing. Just last year, Scott urged Denzel Washington into the train robbery for THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3, with John Travolta. Now, he brought up a true event in 2001, when unmanned raging train that carrying tons of toxic chemical sliding wildly out of control without air brake and it is totally unstoppable. I have to say, thiz movie is in a very good story-telling. It reminds me of how old-time action movies pump up our adrenaline where the event is occurring only in a few hours long, like in: DIE HARD (1988) or SPEED (1994). Tony Scott who is the brother of Ridley Scott (also Director) always knows how to make a precise recipe of good Action Movies. If you want to search for drama, Ridley is the man. But if you want to experience some good actions, you find Tony, like what he did in TOP GUN (1986) and my favorite TRUE ROMANCE (1993). It starts slow with problematic introduction, and then, as the Train goes faster, the tension goes greater as well. Scott pins down a suitable direction for each of its technical aspects. The sounds are so rich and realistic, you can actually feel the threaten train is chugging and rushing in front of your seat. And the hand -shake camera simply drags you into the center of situation, and forces you to think along how to solve the complication. The camera work and movement is really effective and outstanding. In the same direction, all Casts are in good shape. Everyone can deliver a believable working-class presentation. The costume and make-up support that completely. It seems to me, it is a piece of cake for Denzel, to merge into thiz kind of movie. And our Star Trek new Capt. Kirk, Chris Pine can eventually bring balance into their interaction. Rosario Dawson also shows significant existence of her supporting role. Maybe the story has been exaggerated and dramatized to make it more interesting. Like it or not, Scott has created one great vessel of effective high-octane action with his own way. Like on the movie, the train company executive once said, It is my train! It is my decision!

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  34. Jan 12, 2011
    well, this really surprised me. i wasn't expecting to see a good film with it's cheesy name but it sure gave me entertainment for a hour and a half..but Denzel should not act in such movies any more. he can do better than this. for sure!
  35. Jan 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a very forgettable and predictable movie. Denzels the only reason people even heard about it...it dont keep you into it, its just way to easy to tell whats going to happen next, its a run away train and right away you can tell the future of it. You didnt actually think the train would cause a massive explosion and wreck if Denzels involved..;) Expand
  36. Dec 31, 2010
    A film about a runaway train based on a true story and laden with over produced cliches at every turn? That certainly is an accurate description of this piece of Scott hokum. What it fails to mention is the genius casting of Pine and Washington in the central roles. The genius of their pairing sneaks up on you and by the mid way point you find yourself thoroughly invested in the events that unfold. What should be a pointless film turns out to be possibly the years most entertaining. This is one train nobody should miss. Expand
  37. Dec 30, 2010
    The movie is nice... It's a TV movie and nothing else. Denzel Washington was nice but not great. It's good that the story is true and that the actors are known, but the film is only OK.
  38. Dec 23, 2010
    As always, part of the movie experieince is the mood or attitude you bring as a viewer. For whatever reason my mood was perfect for enjoying Unstoppable. It started as can be expected, a train that can't be stopped, wooh, how will it end. But at some point in the first hour you suddenly realize that the director isn't phoning it in. Every smart idea you can think of to stop that train, they actually try, and everything fails. The director does a great job of staying one step ahead of the audience which allows control freaks like me to relax and just follow. At one point when things started getting particularly heroic, I had an emotional flash back to 9/11 and felt like chanting, "AMERICA!"
    Great job guys, well worth our time and dime.
  39. Dec 23, 2010
    Yes, it's predictable. No, there will be no academy awards for acting. But, if you want a good time at the movies it is totally successful. I think the best part of the film was actually the soundtrack and of course the special effects. These trains SOUND like trains and the wrecks look realistic. Really a fun movie and definitely not boring. I will purchase this one on blu-ray when it's released because it looks and sounds great. Expand
  40. Dec 11, 2010
    "As Implausible the film maybe its still an entertaining truly original edge of your seatl non-stop thrill ride that never lets up. With outstanding lead performances from Denzel Washington and Chris Pine , this just may well be Tony Scott's best film in years!" .. B+
  41. Dec 8, 2010
    the name is all wrong it shouldn't of been called UNSTOPPABLE a more fitting name would of been VERY HARD TO STOP, didnt really like it seeming as everyone knew the outcome before the film was even released.
  42. Dec 2, 2010
    Unstoppable is a pretty good movie.

The first half is slow and boring but in the second half it was great.

There were actually a few little jokes in there as well.

Great action movie.
  43. Nov 30, 2010
    Not a bad movie but not a great movie, I'd say it was just decent. I took my out-of-town visiting mother and she enjoyed it (plus she didn't nag me for two hours). As for me, I didn't fall asleep. Chris Pine is fairly annoying and his whole relationship is a distraction that would have been better left out of the movie. Denzel as always does a great job acting, but get rid of the "that's my Daddy" daughter stuff. Too many films these days try to have a little bit of everything in them (love story, death of a friend, natural disaster, etc.), just give me a good movie with a twisting plot and good no-name actors and I'm good to go. Expand
  44. Nov 28, 2010
    This considerably short movie, that zips through its length even though it's short, is very amusing. It is quite suspenseful & you are never waiting for something to happen, because it is never dragging. Denzel Washington also is great for the part that he has, & with a little humor added in, you won't want to miss this one.
  45. Nov 27, 2010
    Just an ok movie. To me, it was a rip off of Akira Korosawa's Runaway Train, which is a far better movie in every aspect, especially acting and plot.
  46. Nov 27, 2010
    This movie was incredibly dumb, but was great fun all the same. Denzel Washington is wonderful as always and Chris Pine not bad himself. Rosario Dawson was great as well. This movie was truely nothing special, but it had some awesome visuals and action scenes. If you're looking for a good action flick go see this movie.
  47. Nov 26, 2010
    The film occasionally keeps you on the edge of your seats, there are some good train shots on the bleak background of industrial Pennsylvania, but it's too predictable, has too much nonsense (how can you swiitch the leading engine to a side track but keep the runaway train going straight?...!), the acting is disappointing (except for Rosario Dawson) and the ending is incredibly lame.
  48. Nov 26, 2010
    The best popcorn thriller of the year - I was on the edge of my seat for the duration. The direction and pacing is tight, the plot is kept to a minimum, and the cinematography (although exactly the same as all other recent Tony Scott films) keeps the momentum and tension on track. Much of the credit has to go to Washington and Pine for their easy chemistry and considerable everyman charm (and their bravery in tackling the stunts). Rosario Dawson too, is perfect and fresh in her role, effectively representing the voice of reason. All three are likeable despite very little backstory and demand real empathy from the audience. The only downside is that some minor characters are underwhelming and their reactions at times are insufficient (particularly when their loved ones are in serious peril). In saying that, simplicity is the key to this films success, and all aspects result in a fun frenetic experience. Expand
  49. Nov 25, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Although the SNL spoof of the trailer was hilarious, the actual movie was very gripping and suspenseful. This is not to say that it was a perfect movie, but it was very good in general. Definitely should see it if you're into action, but not gory, films.
  50. Nov 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The man from the railroad safety campaign knows something about the cargo on the train, the conductorless locomotive that's headed toward a densely populated Pennsylvania city. Molten phenol, according to the visitor, is used in the manufacturing of glue, and naturally, since we're not on "The Darjeeling Limited"(nothing blows up in the 2007 Wes Anderson film), the 777 has the potential to blow s*it up, due to its high combustibility factor. "Can we trust him?" asks Galvin(Kevin Dunn), a corporate higher-up who was speaking to Connie(Rosario Dawson), the train yardmaster, before the happenstantial straggler put in his two cents on the impending crisis at hand. "In a perfect world," responds the woman in charge, and since the unsolicited information that the third party offers is right on the money, these Pennsylvanians, for all intents and purposes, live in a de facto perfect world, where racial differentiation never rears its ugly head. When Connie makes the recommendation that the runaway train be derailed before it reaches a town, a decision which could cost AWWR millions of dollars and precipitate their stock price to nosedive, in an imperfect world, the real world, a racist slip(Connie is non-white) by her supervisor would not be all that surprising, but Galvin, despite being furious with his subordinate for suggesting a plan that's antithetical to business, remains civil throughout the ordeal, without a trace of prejudicial animosity in his voice. This ethnic variance is a pattern, duplicated through the pairing of Frank Barnes(Denzel Washington), the railway old-timer, and the rookie Will Colson(Chris Pine), a situation that's ripe for racial tension, since the "retiring" conductor is assigned with the unenviable task of training his replacement. The warfare in question seems wholly steeped in class, not race, in which Frank objects to Will's blue blood(and all the privileges that money buys you), not white blood. After all, he works in an integrated trainyard; his best buddies are white, and even more importantly, old, and these like-minded veterans have even less patience with the new kid on the block than their black friend, who ironically, is the more open-minded one. In another economic climate, the new kid on the block might be black, but "Unstoppable" is a sign of the times, in which working class whites(like Frank's friends), stung repeatedly by the voraciousness of the corporate machine, would now feel more malice towards the rich than a black man. Frank keeps the peace when the two sides trade barbs about each other's respective generations; he accepts Will's hand when the union "punk" introduces himself. Out on the tracks, the widower father tells Will that his two daughters work at a Hooters(another example of seamless integration), not minding the dirty thoughts which may form in his trainee's mind about the barely legal girls. The world of "Unstoppable" is practically utopian, a "perfect world" as Connie suggests, in the sense that a racial divide doesn't seem to exist. Once the train passes the pastures and corporate headquarters realizes that derailment is the only option available, and the towns of Arkow and Stanton, the two potential destinations for a catastrophic explosion, in an imperfect world, our world, would be determined on the basis of color, not size. But AWWR is not FEMA, and John Galvin is not our former president. Since neither Arkow and the more densely populated Stanton are bastions for a predominantly black or white demographic, Frank and Will are free to banter. Expand
  51. Nov 22, 2010
    Denzel has quit acting and this was a thriller without thrills. There was minimal character development and you knew how it was going to end. I got nothing new out of this film and no sense of satisfaction. I just kept wondering why Denzel keeps taking these easy roles. Isn't that what Nicholas Cage is for?.
  52. Nov 22, 2010
    The acting is near perfect, and the film has an uncanny ability to suck you in and downright entertain. Unlike other thrillers, it's very unpredictable maybe because not many people are like this one. Despite some semi-noticeable gaps in plausibility, or maybe it's me being an analytical college student, this move is scarily realistic. Definitely a worthwhile $10.
  53. Nov 20, 2010
    The main problem I had with this movie is how dull the story line is. Sure its original enough, but common, a train? and too finish the movie was a predicitlbe ending, wasn't compelled at all.

My advice; stick with pelam 123 if you want a good, compelling train movie.
  54. Nov 19, 2010
    From the same director who brought you "The Taking of Pelham 123" last year, his next train oriented thriller stays on track (pun intended). The script, above anything in the film, was well written. The audience knows what is going to happen, why not make it the most interesting from the audiences predictions? Tony Scott knows how to make a thriller, and leave out any extra cargo (pun intended). From edge of your seat thrills, to a story that's not as corny as Hollywood usually makes it, puts "Unstoppable" as one of the highlight action films of 2010. Expand
  55. Nov 19, 2010
    This movie was entertaining but so stupid. When towns were evacuated, the people evacuated to the tracks to see the dangerous train rush by. Horses that were stuck on the track in their trailer (and their owners of course risked their lives to rescue them) calmed down after being saved as a huge train thundered by a mere 10 feet away. Denzel could easily run along the top of the cars of a speeding train, luckily there is no jerking or wind resistance. It takes 14 thousand police cars to take care of all the people evacuating to the tracks, and there was the obligatory train full of children in harm's way. Give me a break. Oh, and helicopters love to fly very fast, very low, and between rows of trees. In every scene, there were holes big enough to drive a freight train through. I don't mind that a movie violates all laws of physics and of human behavior, but this one overdid it. Rosario Dawson was good, and the movie did entertain me, therefore a 5 and not a 0. Expand
  56. Nov 18, 2010
    Despite its simple plot, Tony Scott managed to make this into a full length feature film and resulted in probably making one of his best films in over the past ten years. Certainly there were some glitches but in the end this film resulted in something that is worth-while entertainment.
  57. Nov 17, 2010
    Well acted, highly entertaining, intense and well shot. Better dialogue and character development than one typically expects from the genre. Best action movie I've seen in a long time. The personification of the train as antagonist reminded me of "Duel" and "Backdraft" - very hard to do but very cool when it works!
  58. Nov 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unstoppable is inevitably one of those films that will be undervalued because it is so succinctly a solid film with very little fluff.

The premise is very simple: there is a runaway freight train carrying hazardous chemicals set to derail in a heavily populated area and create a catastrophe. If you have seen the trailer, you have also met the three characters who play the largest roles--Frank (Denzel Washington), Will (Chris Pine), and Connie (Rosario Dawson). What you do not realize from the trailer is that these characters are fillers, they are superfluous--they are not even credited with having last names! (When was the last time that happened to leading characters in a November release?) The real star of the show is the TENSION, which is simple and doesn't pretend to have any kind of outrageous complexity to it, which also makes it feel much more real.

"Unstoppable" is succinct, and that is also the real beauty and what people will no doubt dislike about the film. The film quite literally starts off (
  59. Nov 16, 2010
    As a slam-bang exciting film, this is great. But anyone familiar with railroads will notice many errors. Just a few: the engineer of No. 1206 states that it has 5000 HP. But it is an SD-40, 3000 HP. A central figure is described as a" Yardmaster", yet she appears to control the entire subdivision. Only a Superintendent or Trainmaster would have that responsibility, especially in an emergency. A minor sub-plot, that the engineer has been involuntarily retired with "half benefits" is blatantly illegal and simply does not happen under modern law. Speed-limit signs (visible on a bridge) are not in use on any railroad--they seem to be like highway signs. Anyhow, see it (8.5)!! Expand
  60. Nov 16, 2010
    I'd prefer to give it a 94 or 95. This isn't without its flaws in the grand scheme of movies. But as an action film, I can't recall anything recent that comes close to this kind of perfection: engrossing and suspenseful, effortless, and memorable only because it's an hour and a half of something awesome.
  61. Nov 16, 2010
    Finally a 21st century Tony Scott film that I really loved watching! None of that false-colour, jumping-camera stuff he did in Domino, Deja Vu, Man on Fire and other movies. The story isn't that deep but extremely effective. Chris Pine does a solid job, as does Rosario Dawson. Denzel is, well, Denzel. The film picks up early and doesn't let up until the closing scenes. Well done on all fronts.
  62. Nov 14, 2010
    Good movie!! The movie does take a bit to get up to speed, like the train, but then it takes off. I really enjoyed the visual ride of this film. The camera technique emphasizes the feeling of movement and speed and adds to the feeling of tension. The acting is solid and well-done, a pleasure to watch. Glad I saw it and will be recommending it to friends who watch more than girly movies.
  63. Nov 14, 2010
    Good movie, does the action movie justice. It has class to it, not the normal mindless action films that have came out recently. Over dramatized from the actual real life story which the movie is based on, but this makes it more fast paced and interesting.
  64. Nov 14, 2010
    An amazing flick with lots of action and even some comedy. Recommended to everyone, young or old, this is a future legend... it's unstoppable!!!!!!!!!
  65. Nov 13, 2010
    this was intense! I was on the edge of my seat throughout. I was amazed. It was a little slow at the beginning and it took a little while to get going, but once it got going, it was GOING! And throughout this intense action, they added in some comedy that was funny and it worked. This movie deserves your money. If you're seeing skyline, forget about skyline, Unstoppable is where its at! This script is solid! The acting is phenominal! the visuals, dear lord they are awesome. Although a slow, and somewhat long start, this movie is great fun! Collapse
  66. Nov 13, 2010
    It starts as another day in the locomotive for Denzel Washington and Chris Pine, but when an unmanned runaway train is on a collision course with disaster, it's their mission to stop it. There's nothing unpredictable about this solid script, just a nonstop level of nail-biting tension (I lost 2 nails). Thanks to director Tony Scott's dazzling direction and spectacular setups, this is they type of slick entertainment that Hollywood does best. Expand
  67. Nov 13, 2010
    It's no work of art, but it's great fun from start to finish. Denzel is absolutely perfect for the part, and Chris Pine's part is very well-written, and well executed. I also have to say that Rosario Dawson does an incredibly good job in her role - why she isn't an A-list star these days is beyond me. Also, the guy who plays the lead welder is a revelation. He needs larger parts.
  68. Nov 12, 2010
    This is a movie I walked in thinking hey, good actors, good director, and a ok plot. Half way into the film I was like who I am kidding, this is the BEST plot ever. It had way better action scenes than I expected, plus It had amazing acting from Denzel and the young Chris Pine. It will leave you sweating and on the edge of your seat for the whole movie! It was so good I might have to see a second time with my friends. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Dec 14, 2010
    I wouldn't want to see five movies like this one each week but it's a cheeky, madcap joyride.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Dec 14, 2010
    this is a straight-ahead ticking clock thriller, with the usual Tony S. trademarks - punchy dialogue and men doing what needs to be done.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Dec 14, 2010
    Scott shoots and edits Unstoppable with roller-coaster momentum and an eye (and ear) on that roaring tonnage of steel.