Up in the Air

7.4

1. Apr 24, 2016
    Even though the film finally turns out to be yet another Hollywood fairy tale, at least it speaks the truth about our Great Recession.

Watch it here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-60fa-Up-in-the-Air-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  2. Sep 28, 2015
    Up in the Air continued Jason Reitman's early hot streak before his more recent missteps and though I prefer Thank You for Smoking and Juno, Up in the Air is still a good film. With a great emotional center and theories on loneliness, happiness, marriage, and purpose in life, the film has a lot to say throughout. The writing is spectacular as is the direction and when the characters feelUp in the Air continued Jason Reitman's early hot streak before his more recent missteps and though I prefer Thank You for Smoking and Juno, Up in the Air is still a good film. With a great emotional center and theories on loneliness, happiness, marriage, and purpose in life, the film has a lot to say throughout. The writing is spectacular as is the direction and when the characters feel hurt, so does the audience. This is largely thanks to the great acting from George Clooney, Anna Kendrick, and Vera Farmiga. However, the true success of the film comes from how real it all feels. It never feels fake and it almost feels as though you are watching a documentary about these regular people. In addition, it was very timely with its release, as it focuses on a guy who fires people for a living and came out in 2009. On the topic of starting over, the film does a very good job and portrays these people with a lot of compassion and honesty. Overall, Up in the Air is a very good film that has a great emotional center that makes it really hit home for people of all ages and features Anna Kendrick's breakout performance, which really stole the show. Expand
  3. Sep 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i can't see how this movie could end or how i let it start........anna kendrick firing people is exactly what terrible people would want to see......no matter how much she looks good it just can't save the movie from being fired over the internet by me....the only redeemable thing is that she was called a fourth grader......im so glad anna kendrick died in the voices that I might actually go watch it.......being without a job is hard enough without having to see women get jobs with their looks (kendrick) or showing their butt (farmiga) ....i think if a film buff watches this movie twice it's because boredom and loneliness ...... Expand
  4. Aug 18, 2015
    Up in the Air is definitely not a bad film, but it's not a good one. The first act is great, all the characters are likeable, the story is entertaining and fun, but then comes the second act, and it feels like the wedding is sidetracking the film from the point of the first half of the film and after that the whole movie feels lost. And I honestly understand the message it was trying toUp in the Air is definitely not a bad film, but it's not a good one. The first act is great, all the characters are likeable, the story is entertaining and fun, but then comes the second act, and it feels like the wedding is sidetracking the film from the point of the first half of the film and after that the whole movie feels lost. And I honestly understand the message it was trying to convey and the whole point of the story, but it just felt shallow, like it was barely scratching the surface of it's full potential. And even if there is a good point or an intelligent story the film has to be at least entertaining in it's entirety. Up in the Air is definitely overrated, in almost every aspect, except acting maybe, it's flawed, but not in a imperfectly perfect way, more in a wounded unrepairable way. Expand
  5. Jun 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As I see George Clooney star in more and more typical white collar men in mid-life crises, I start to appreciate those films that manage to be enchanting without a big shot actor stealing the spotlight. With that said, Up In the Air did feel new. The planes may use recycled air, but when I saw Des Moines light up on the screen, I took a gasp of fresh air.

Ryan Bingham isn't your typical worker that wants to go to the office from 9 to 5 and never think about the job again until he returns. No. Ryan loves, he breathes his job. In fact, he doesn't even have a life outside of it. The loyalty and the miles and the ten million goal are what makes him the person that he is. He even thinks that's what he wants too. Living out of a simple carry-on bag, what more could someone need?

Of course, nothing lasts forever, and Natalie Keener, the stereotypical naïve girl throws a wrench in his life and ends up under his wing. Firing people can't be an easy job, but being the stoic and unemotional person that he is, Ryan does it with ease. People change him, and that's all to be expected. People change you, and Ryan is changed as well. Actually, I can't help but think that the picture he drags around with him for his sister's wedding represents something much larger. His personal growth with his philosophies. From being shiny and new, to used and falling apart, and ultimately ending up happy.

"You're the youngest to hit 10 mil, I don't know where you found the time." He found it by living in the sky – no commitments and nobody waiting for him at home. The only thing to his name is a 1-bedroom apartment and various flings to "escape real life." But this is Ryan's real life, and whether he just stays because it's too late or because he wants to is an enigma.
  6. Oct 28, 2014
    it's really a great movie except when Anna Kendrick cried when her boyfriend broke up with her via text it was obvious that she was trying to fake it.
  7. Aug 27, 2014
    Jason Reitman + George Clooney + Vera Farmiga + Anna Kendrick = cinematic perfection. Smart and bold. You know it's good when you begin to question your own life.
  8. Jul 27, 2014
    Have just seen this - though I like GC I CANNOT understand how it got such rave reviews. This film is absolutely crap. Characters whilst well played are unsympathetic, the story goes nowhere - got to the end wondering what was the point of this film? There is none in fact .... I don't need happy endings but I would like an ending - did the writer run out of ideas? Sorry just rubbish
  9. Jul 3, 2014
    Run away if you see Clooney in a suit next time.
    It's a pathetic movie.I watched 3 clooney movies consecutively after getting overwhelmed by seen 'Burn after reading" it is a very good satire movie.Love that one(congrats to COEN bros,love them too after this movie)
    What is George clooney? an MBA holder working as CFO in one of the MNCs ,if so he has performed very well. But i didn't
    Run away if you see Clooney in a suit next time.
    But i didn't download the movie to see how good he is in corporate affairs.A boring,not at all interesting movie.Good performance by actors.but i hate this movie.I got similar experiences from his recent 2 movies too(Syriana,Michael Clayton).All these films are like some David fincher movie with full of dialogues as if they were made to test the retention skills of actors,no twists,wits,action,comedy,sentiments .They are political movies dealing with contemporary American lives but ..as a movie it doesn't present the matters in a more digestible way with good stands ,but for that purpose a documentary is good don't waste our time by producing such 'Mr.Perfect man in Suite movies'.
  10. Jun 26, 2014
    I gave this a 9 before, but I'm going to lower my score now for a few reasons. There are spots in this movie that are somewhat un-engaging and boring. These scenes are at odds with the rest of the movie which is entertaining, lively, and sharply directed by Reitman. The dialogue is realistic, the performances are believable, and there are even some unexpected turns. From a filmmakingI gave this a 9 before, but I'm going to lower my score now for a few reasons. There are spots in this movie that are somewhat un-engaging and boring. These scenes are at odds with the rest of the movie which is entertaining, lively, and sharply directed by Reitman. The dialogue is realistic, the performances are believable, and there are even some unexpected turns. From a filmmaking standpoint the movie is almost flawless. It's just that the audience for this film is somewhat limited. It's being called a comedy, but it's really a straightforward drama. It's not really even a hybrid of the two like Reitman's own Juno or Silver Linings Playbook. It might not be funny, but I'd still take this over the cliché crap that usually comes out of this genre. Expand
  11. Dec 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Slickly rendered and intelligently scripted, offering a deft mixture of comedy and pathos, "Up in the Air" is entertaining but also painstakingly grounded in reality, seamlessly entwining humor with an existentially bleak edge that this troubled era of downsizing and recession makes all the more meaningful and relevant.

As far as acting goes, the performances here are exceptional, and are largely what makes it work. J. K. Simmons and Steve Eastin are fantastic in their brief but brilliant cameos as fired employees; Amy Morton and Jason Bateman offer some good supporting work; and Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick deliver richly layered performances in their respective roles, Kendrick in particular. But George Clooney is the centerpiece of the film evoking Ryan Bingham with charisma and suave interlaced with loneliness, desperation and fear.

A fantastic view.
  12. Oct 30, 2013
    I really really enjoyed this movie. It was bitter sweet in a wonderful way. The story flowed nicely and Clooney's character suited him extremely well. It doesn't end in the happiest ending but that is what makes it a good movie. I would definitely recommend this movie to anybody.
  13. Jul 23, 2013
    How is this movie so well liked? George Clooney and Vera Farmiga's characters are just completey unlikable and the story almost literally goes nowhere. The most interesting character was Zach Galifianakis' character who appears for less then a minute.
  14. Apr 20, 2013
    The movie's subtle thematic plot, at first, confuses and leaves the audience with a hollow, unfulfilled catharsis at the end.........................................
  15. Mar 30, 2013
    Up in the Air is a film that is tiresome and worthless, with characters I didn't like one bit. What fascinates me the most is how this film can put someone to sleep faster than a lullaby. A pointless dull film.
  16. Feb 24, 2013
    Just a terrific film! An honest picture of charming, but flawed, people. Perfectly acted by George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, and Anna Kendrick. Brilliant script, brilliant film!
  17. Jan 6, 2013
    A great movie of a solitary life. Everything in this movie makes me sad and I find it beautiful. George Clooney is back again and he is amazing. The writing is sharp and witty with a fun story about what it's like in the modern society.
  18. Nov 15, 2012
    The best part of Up in the Air isn't the excellent performances or even the pitch-perfect script, it's how real the movie is, and that comes from Reitman's careful direction.
  19. Aug 25, 2012
    I think the critics went slightly overboard when reviewing this film. It is a good film which is funny in places but at times it seems far too stuck up itself to realise when it is waning from the plot. Reitman continues to produce good films but this is not his best work as some would have you believe.
  20. Jul 15, 2012
    Up in the Air is a fantastic piece of existential character study. Powered by a masterful performance by George Clooney, the movie hits all the right notes before coming to a subtle yet wrenching conclusion. Excelling in all departments from directing to soundtrack, Up in the Air is a must see.
  21. Mar 31, 2012
    A very boring film. The acting is overpraised so much that it is ridiculous. The critics are so wrong. Everything about it, had nothing new to offer. This movie even makes me more sick of George than I already am.
  22. Mar 16, 2012
    One of my favorite films ever, is amazing, incedible, emotive. And the better... the cast, Anna Kendrick, Vera Farmiga, George Clooney, are amazing. The story can be sad, but the film is fantastic. Up in the Air is a classic.
  23. Mar 12, 2012
    I really liked this movie. Solid acting by the cast, An interesting plot, and overall its just a solid film that I really enjoyed watching. Im suprised that the fans dont like it more but hey, I guess its not for everyone. But to me, Its definently worth the watch.
  24. Mar 1, 2012
    Although marketed and advertised as a comedy-drama film, this movie truthfully skimps on the laughs but redeems itself in the dramatic sense. However there are so many different themes in 'Up in the Air' one could be forgiven in thinking the flick (in itself) is a self-motivational handout. Sadly some are left unanswered. Despite that George Clooney is excellently cast in the lead whichAlthough marketed and advertised as a comedy-drama film, this movie truthfully skimps on the laughs but redeems itself in the dramatic sense. However there are so many different themes in 'Up in the Air' one could be forgiven in thinking the flick (in itself) is a self-motivational handout. Sadly some are left unanswered. Despite that George Clooney is excellently cast in the lead which matches his public persona of being quite charming but the standout has to be Vera Farmiga; a desirable choice for Clooney's love interest. Expand
  25. Feb 16, 2012
    A truly enjoyable movie from start to finish. makes you ponder abt your life and future. A compelling performance from the cast. Good storyline combined with powerful cast and amazing direction and cinematography of the movie. what more can i ask for?
  26. Feb 6, 2012
    Up in the Air was one of the best movies of 2009. George Clooney gave a great performance and the movie was funny and heartwarming. It managed to do what most movies can't do. Feel real.
  27. Dec 27, 2011
    "Up In The Air" One Line Review! "A-"

Extremely timely, thought provoking and emotional - And just when I thought they were going to wrap things up a little too neatly, BAM - I loved it, I think everyone would benefit from seeing it.
  28. Oct 15, 2011
    I don't really like this kind of romantic films but this time I kinda liked it. Liked the acting performances but imo George Clooney's role was pathetic. I really appreciated the lack of happy-ending.
  29. Oct 9, 2011
    Up in the Air is a movie that I found myself relating to on many levels and its impact I found personal, something that is missing from most movies. The characters are very real, the theme of how boring everyday life can be is interesting and the 3rd act of the film is awesome and memorable. The interviews and theme of people losing their jobs seems relevant on one hand but a little forcedUp in the Air is a movie that I found myself relating to on many levels and its impact I found personal, something that is missing from most movies. The characters are very real, the theme of how boring everyday life can be is interesting and the 3rd act of the film is awesome and memorable. The interviews and theme of people losing their jobs seems relevant on one hand but a little forced and disconnected to the main plot but its only a minor gripe. Up In The Air is great and a must see. Highly recommended. Expand
  30. Sep 15, 2011
    What "Up in the Air" wants us to do is not to watch in boredom equipped with popcorn, but to understand the emotion and the characters the movie has to present to us.
  31. Aug 27, 2011
    It was a well done movie, but I was bored in the middle of it, so I've left. I watched the other half few days later so. I don't know. It didn't keep my attention. I wouldn't say it was predictable. I thought that George and Vera's character will hook up and get married but it wasn't so. I also like Anna's character and that's all. All together, it was boring. Fans of George Clooney areIt was a well done movie, but I was bored in the middle of it, so I've left. I watched the other half few days later so. I don't know. It didn't keep my attention. I wouldn't say it was predictable. I thought that George and Vera's character will hook up and get married but it wasn't so. I also like Anna's character and that's all. All together, it was boring. Fans of George Clooney are gonna love it. Expand
  32. CRL
    Jul 30, 2011
    Billed to me as a comedy, Up in the Air is much more than that. It's an emotionally moving and laugh-inducing drama with stellar acting from George Clooney. The premise is so sarcastically dry, as is Clooney's character, that by itself it invokes a few laughs. Add to that some surprisingly dark themes towards the ending and it becomes complete in every possible way.
  33. Jul 18, 2011
    Good little film, not the funniest or most dramatic film ive ever seen but well acted, directed and shot with a good script and likeable characters who make you want to see more of them after the credits have rolled. Having said that, my wife hated it and fell asleep before the end!
  34. Jun 13, 2011
    A mature comedy-drama for adults with a really neat twist at the end. All the principle actors are really fine and the direction is right on, with a first rate screenplay and dialog. One of my favorites and one of George Clooney's best.
  35. May 21, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies. George Clooney is an amazing actor, and should have gotten the Oscar. In fact, this movie should have gotten the Oscar over the Hurt Locker. It's such a beautiful look into what love and relationships are, without taking a side either way.
  36. Mar 15, 2011
    Up in the air was witty and funny. It's a story about a man who doesn't realize how lonely he really his and how he changes as a person throughout the movie. Not to mention George Clooney was outstanding, he fit the role perfectly.
  37. Feb 22, 2011
    Good movie. It was a great display of life as some one who's always travels for there company. I think this was a good role for George Clooney and he did a great job.
  38. Jan 20, 2011
    It is a simple and spontaneous movie, but it turns out to be deep and inspirational one. The movie directed by Jason Reitman, the young Director and the son of Ivan Reitman. Ivan Reitman known-well as a Producer and acclaimed Director, through his fun and pop corn movies such as: GHOSTBUSTERS (1984), KINDERGARTEN COP (1990), and EVOLUTION (2001). Flip over with his father, Jason ReitmanIt is a simple and spontaneous movie, but it turns out to be deep and inspirational one. The movie directed by Jason Reitman, the young Director and the son of Ivan Reitman. Ivan Reitman known-well as a Producer and acclaimed Director, through his fun and pop corn movies such as: GHOSTBUSTERS (1984), KINDERGARTEN COP (1990), and EVOLUTION (2001). Flip over with his father, Jason Reitman known-well in these recent years as thoughtful and serious but enjoyable dramas like: THANK YOU FOR SMOKING (2005) and JUNO (2007). The trio Casts in thiz movie fill the characters properly. George Clooney once again shows his talent on the one man show, Clooney is one of the Actors could delivers such character with his aura. Vera Farmiga appears a little bit sexy, charming, and loveable. It is a fantastic flirtatious appearance. Anna Kendricks emerges annoying but acquired sympathy in the end, just fit well on her character. The unique story is about Ryan Bingham (Clooney) who is a frequent flyer across the states. His job is to fire people, representing his boss that did not bold enough to do it himself. Maybe for many people, thiz is a life drama movie. But personally for me, thiz is a great romantic movie with the most of scenes contain with tremendous chemistry between Clooney and Farmiga. It has been a long time I did not have such a feeling since LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003). In the end, The movie was convincing us that we need a partner in life. It is ironically played by life-time bachelor Clooney (in the real life-at least until now). Yup, maybe that is true, Everybody needs a co-pilot.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  39. Dec 31, 2010
    Overall I enjoyed this movie and appreciated its complex, all-is-not-black-or-white message. However, I had a few issues with it. For instance, WHO would buy into that "What's in your backpack" message? Companies want to create the illusion that they're warm and fuzzy families, and no one would tolerate someone who blatantly told them to fly solo. That sideline plot hit us over the headOverall I enjoyed this movie and appreciated its complex, all-is-not-black-or-white message. However, I had a few issues with it. For instance, WHO would buy into that "What's in your backpack" message? Companies want to create the illusion that they're warm and fuzzy families, and no one would tolerate someone who blatantly told them to fly solo. That sideline plot hit us over the head with a message that we already "got" just by observing Clooney. Also, the George Clooney character never seems lonely, sad, or depressed until he learns his lesson about the importance of having a co-pilot. The movie could have done more to make you think he KNEW was missing something in life, because he seemed quite satisfied. But as I said, it's an excellent movie, despite its flaws. Expand
  40. Dec 25, 2010
    A really entertaining, good film that definitely make you wonder about the American lifestyle and how good and rewarding (or unrewarding) it actually is. With great direction, screenplay and some really good performances, "Up in the Air" manages to make one laugh as well as feel the desperation of Clooney's character. Definitely a film worth watching!
  41. Nov 26, 2010
    A very entertaining and intriguing story of a man and his peculiar job. I'm not sure how realistic the whole plot was but nevertheless I think the film was able to captivate the audience for the majority of the time. Some parts of the film was pretty humorous but other parts seemed a bit boring and pointless. Still, it was a brilliant performance by Clooney and Kendrick, otherA very entertaining and intriguing story of a man and his peculiar job. I'm not sure how realistic the whole plot was but nevertheless I think the film was able to captivate the audience for the majority of the time. Some parts of the film was pretty humorous but other parts seemed a bit boring and pointless. Still, it was a brilliant performance by Clooney and Kendrick, other actors/actress weren't too bad either. The film generally does well to depict the story of a corporate business expert and maybe a child prodigy, which is a pretty unique experience. This is not a very fast paced film but not too slow and boring either. It is very enjoyable if you have the time to sit back and relax. Probably not suited for people with a small attention span or lack of intelligence. I'd give it 8/10 just put 10 to boost the score as it doesn't reflect how good the film is atm. :P Expand
  42. Nov 18, 2010
    The best movie of 2009. The characters and events in the film are fairly different from those in the book by Walter Kirn, but I enjoyed both. The main and supporting actors performed really well. Anna Kendrick showed how great she can be. Jason Reitman keeps improving as a director besting Juno, which bested Thank You For Smoking. Great satire.
  43. Sep 28, 2010
    Being a minor with not much responsibility other than taking the next test or completing a major homework assignment, I have not really been affected by the downturn of the economy. I can see how other people are affected by it, but I have not really felt what it is like to lose a job, losing a home, or having no money to my name.

Jason Reitman's (director of Juno) explores the downturn

Jason Reitman's (director of Juno) explores the downturn of the economy through characters Ryan Bringham played by veteran George Clooney. Ryan is hired by other companies to fire workers simply because the managers do not have the "balls" to do so. Bringham experiences the fast life, traveling from city to city, only really exploring the airport and the monotonous lives of office buildings. During his ventures to airports, he meets fellow Alex Goran, Vera Farmiga, a fellow "fast-lifer" and goes into a "casual" relationship with her. Clooney is content with his life of little personal human communication until young Natalie Keener, Anna Kendrick (Twilight), tries to make Clooney's company more "efficient," threatening Clooney's lifestyle. Clooney then spends most of the film taking Keener to fire people showing her that her "developments" will ruin the basis of the job.

Up In The Air is a commendable movie. Being a fan of Juno and other "hipster" films, I immediately fell in love with the artistic shots, indie music, and funny one-liners. But unlike Juno, Reitman's film actually has meaning. It is a true representation of today's economy, focusing and conveying the "lows" of our society. Up In The Air is not a "feel-good" movie as it portrays death, loss, and love, in a very negative way. But because of this, it establishes the purpose of the film, showing life is ugly.

The cast of the movie achieves a well-acted feat. George Clooney acts in his truly apathetic character to the point of realism. Although Clooney performs an Oscar-worthy performance, his character's emotions are not consistent throughout the movie. Clooney's character goes through an emotional change, that would seem to drastic for it to be possible. Clooney's love interest, Vera Farmiga likewise plays her character to perfection without the flaws of an emotional change. Although actors Clooney and Farmiga make this film shine, Anna Kendrick's performance is less than stellar. Kendrick, known for her roles in Twilight, doesn't move beyond the teen acting she displays in the teen-vampire hit. Her character is important to the story, but I sometimes found her character to be both bothersome and somewhat annoying. Kendrick's performance got her a nomination for Best Supporting Actress for the Golden Globes which in my opinion, is not deserved. The acting in Up In The Air is great, but it contains some minor flaws that can be overlooked.

Up In The Air is a movie that I recommend to most mature movie goers. Like Jason Reitman's other directed films, it has a dark feel that leads to a good film. Young audiences will not appreciate this film, of course, due to a representation that will just "go over their heads." The final song in the credits composed by an average citizen, sums this movie up, as it brings reality to the film from a true representative. Never has a film's credits been so touching. Overall, Up In The Air is the movie that this recession will be represented by for generations to come.
  44. Sep 19, 2010
    One of the best new movies I've seen in a long time. It met all my expectations. With the charm and comedic sensibilities of Broadcast News, the brutal realism of Glengarry Glen Ross and the humanity of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, this movie is a must-see.
  45. Sep 18, 2010
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging. There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging.

There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed in an orderly and point my eye, but not random gossip on a man. This man, able to defend themselves from the threat of a nature that loves to challenge those who dream and strives to make real and concrete objects of their desire, is ready for anything. Throughout his life, sooner or later happen to face painful events. The death of a loved one, our dog, a love story ended, a financial investment bankruptcy, dismissal. Mr. Ryan is interested in layoffs. The dismissal, for the sufferer, it can cause serious, serious mental disorders. The pain caused by it, can turn into anxiety, existential closure too often, the next step and "extreme" is suicide. All these "inner beatings, mental" can be turned into disruptive forces in new psychic energy, in increasing self-esteem, desire to relive. Ryan Bingham (G. Clooney) offers his skills to those companies that have to lay off people. Travels the skies of the U.S.A. far and wide. Thousands talks "motivational" making, not to mention those covered. The plane is his first house and this house is tastefully furnished and mentally occupied with pleasure. His travels take place in a frequent flyer program of American Airlines. Its status is excellent. The goal is that at heart is to reach ten million miles. Incredible ten million miles. Many people who meet during the various movements. One of them, Alex (Vera Farmiga), fascinates him, trapping him, his travels thus become a bit 'less instrumental and a bit' more human. A relationship develops between the two. Third stage entrance. A young graduate, Natalie Keener (Anna Kendric) is supporting so vehemently, a project that allows her dismissal "from the ground" in the sense that, the unfortunate party, sitting in front of the monitor gets the sack over the internet. Ryan is forced to return home. Witnessing a demonstration and exposes all its perplexities. Miss Natalie claims that did not mind that this type of profession needs a "human linguistic semantics" and not "computerized management of human feelings." But you know, when you can save millions of dollars at the expense of the mental health ... do not think twice. Indeed, we do not think so. Ryan suggests to his boss to entrust Natalie, so will the "field" whether his theories deserve to be reviewed. Begins with Natalie unprecedented adventure, learn the rhythms and techniques of flight, initial approaches are not happy. The novel taste flyer on his body the marks they leave the informal words, without the bon-ton human relationships. The boyfriend download by SMS. I stop here to not remove the viewer the pleasure of discovery. ... The plot is nice and full bodied. Love, economic welfare, psychological and physical discomfort, maturity and youth, experience and novitiate, certainties and uncertainties, isolation and companionship, joy and sadness there is something for everyone. These themes are presented with such elegance and sobriety. Almost in a whisper. When you reach a goal achieved with sacrifice "flights" growing up. Whether this objective tell you that you have reached when you are "on" How do you feel? Ryan feels like the end of his journey? For miles routes, will add a few meters? Ulysses was a flyer, in a sense, returned to Ithaca, he finds his wife and son. Throughout his travels, he has never forgotten the ultimate goal. The return home. His house, his suffering, emotional stability. See, in conclusion, what he left. Its origins. Even Ryan there are traces of Odysseus. I think.

Welcome aboard and good trip.
  46. Sep 7, 2010
    Great movie. I was really pulling for Clooney to win the Oscar but I guess Jeff Bridges finally deserved one. I was pleasantly surprised by Anna Kendrick's performance. I had no idea that anyone from Twilight could actually act but she did a great job. In a way this was a very sad but real movie.
  47. Sep 2, 2010
    Generally funny, and heartwarming. Up in the Air proves to be Jason Reitman's best since Juno. George Clooney is brilliant as the cut-throat businessman being grounded by his company, while his co-stars Farmiga and Kendrick are also outstanding. The story was definitely interesting and proves to be one of the best films of last year.
  48. Sep 1, 2010
    Up in the Air is a wonderful film that I've just seen two times already! George Clooney is one my favorite actors of all time and one of the coolest guys ever and he did really good on his performance. Vera Farmiga & Anna Kendrick did their job really supportive and very clever. The scenes are very good like they travel away to United States with great cinematography with each shot of theUp in the Air is a wonderful film that I've just seen two times already! George Clooney is one my favorite actors of all time and one of the coolest guys ever and he did really good on his performance. Vera Farmiga & Anna Kendrick did their job really supportive and very clever. The scenes are very good like they travel away to United States with great cinematography with each shot of the clouds,cities,and course the entire cast. The story is very interesting way that you see Clooney was traveling to each airport and tells the perfect story about his life that he do all day for working on the company that he fires to everyone in their jobs. I really love this movie of all time and one of the best 2009 films ever! And one of my favorite films in my decade of 2000's. Expand
  49. Aug 27, 2010
    Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney,Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick) are breathtaking in their character roles, each carrying a sense of enigma affixed with their own goals and expectations for love and life, and as always each is compromised along the way. The relationship between Clooney and Farmiga has incredible chemistry, and Kendrick's conjunction of professionalism and idealism was handled perfectly (I smell Oscars here....) Though most of the dialogue is infused with the quick wit you can always expect from Reitman films, this movie is really one of the most devastating and heavy films of the year. It perfectly embodies the journey of middle-age angst just as 'Juno' represented the indifference of smart-ass teenagers, but like 'Juno', it may appeal more to the age group it is depicting. Expand
  50. Aug 22, 2010
    If you want to see 'George Clooney' play 'George Clooney' then good for you, you'll love this! If you don't want to feel like an unsophisticated plebian while watching these 2 incredibly smug people seeing who has the best comeback I'd recommend a pass, watch Lost in Translation instead, it's much better. Also the feel of this film is like pretentious wannabee Oscar material. in factIf you want to see 'George Clooney' play 'George Clooney' then good for you, you'll love this! If you don't want to feel like an unsophisticated plebian while watching these 2 incredibly smug people seeing who has the best comeback I'd recommend a pass, watch Lost in Translation instead, it's much better. Also the feel of this film is like pretentious wannabee Oscar material. in fact pretentious basically sums this movie up. For Smug, high Class idiots really. Expand
  51. Aug 14, 2010
    Seriously? This movie was humorous and all, but the ending was really stupid, I mean, Ryan finally finds a woman, but then it turns out that she was married w/ children?! That's just sad. I was disappointed that I spent, like, 5 dollars on this on VOD on Buckeye, and it sucked! Don't see this movie if you haven't yet...
  52. RebeccaT
    Apr 18, 2010
    I loved this movie. Ryan's character is so much like myself. That's not the reason I love it, it's just a very well-put together film. =)
  53. Phil
    Apr 13, 2010
    Dreadful. trite. what are you watching that you can rate this a good movie? i'd rather watch paint dry.
  54. Bobo
    Apr 9, 2010
    Am I the only one who was restless (bored) by this movie? Clooney saved it-just barely-and even he was getting on my nerves.
  55. Aaron
    Apr 8, 2010
    WORST MOVIE EVER MADE (next to The Godfather and Angels in America) JUST horrible, depressing, stupid, George Clooney, Anna Kendrick was SOOO ANNOYING! "wah!wah!" i almost did that crying scene that Anna Kendrick did when the movie was over! RAZZIE AWARD WINNER IN MY OPIONION way overrated!
  56. DoodleT
    Apr 6, 2010
    Film is going well until Detroit. Then it deflates into cheap propaganda. The 'existential' ending makes no sense. Nothing gained from watching this. Ryan is who we thought he was!
  57. StanA
    Mar 23, 2010
    The best film of the year. Anna Kendrick is going to be huge. She simply invigorated every one of her scenes and was unforgettable. If you really hated this film then either the subject matter has no meaning for you - astonishing given the current economy - or you have absolutely no understanding of cinema . As for the guy who left after 30 minutes and then has the gall to tell us this The best film of the year. Anna Kendrick is going to be huge. She simply invigorated every one of her scenes and was unforgettable. If you really hated this film then either the subject matter has no meaning for you - astonishing given the current economy - or you have absolutely no understanding of cinema . As for the guy who left after 30 minutes and then has the gall to tell us this film was a train wreck, at least I read your entire review before I concluded that you're an idiot. Expand
  58. alxm
    Mar 23, 2010
    I wanted to watch this movie after the Academy nominations. I kept waiting for it to improve but then it ended and left me feeling like I had just wasted 2 hrs. I am a big fan of G-Clooney but this is one was poor.
  59. MathMan
    Mar 17, 2010
    Has nothing that impressed me,...from the anticlimatic acting from Clooney to a storyline that never seems to go anywhere. It was all pointless.
  60. eliasc
    Mar 16, 2010
    'Up in the Air' is one of those multi-layered films that define good direction, great scriptwriting, and superb acting. I was amazed recently when I talked to a person who saw the film and thought it was about a corporate quest for the 10 million dollar airline frequent flyer card. Here was an adult with the mind of a teen who could not see beyond surface plot lines and did not 'Up in the Air' is one of those multi-layered films that define good direction, great scriptwriting, and superb acting. I was amazed recently when I talked to a person who saw the film and thought it was about a corporate quest for the 10 million dollar airline frequent flyer card. Here was an adult with the mind of a teen who could not see beyond surface plot lines and did not understand that the film was about a wasted life, and did not have a clue that the title 'Up in the Air' had a double meaning as well. The only fault I had with this film was after you realize what the film was really about after about 30 minutes, the coming resolutions were obvious. Or was it only I who realized that in the scene with Anna Kendrick, George Clooney, and Vera Farminga in which Vera's character talks about her goals to soothe Anna being dumped by her boyfriend, that she was really talking about herself; her real life. And as empty as George Clooney's character was, Vera Farminga's character was a whole lot worse. A great film by a director to watch. Expand
  61. JamesH
    Mar 9, 2010
    What a wonderful film, great characterizations and excellent performances from everyone, especially Anna Kendrick. She was awesome. J.K. Simmons does an amazing job in a scene that is only a few minutes long.Excellent score, so well photographed. The direction is so controlled, excellent vision of the finished product and the development of the story to that point. It is funny as well as What a wonderful film, great characterizations and excellent performances from everyone, especially Anna Kendrick. She was awesome. J.K. Simmons does an amazing job in a scene that is only a few minutes long.Excellent score, so well photographed. The direction is so controlled, excellent vision of the finished product and the development of the story to that point. It is funny as well as touching, the pacing is perfect. Very memorable. Expand
  62. RyanM.
    Mar 9, 2010
    A thought provoking piece that is reflective and humorous at times. Clooney and the main characters are outstanding and have undeniable chemistry. Though the end of the film may not leave with resolve, it may leave you with loneliness and sadness.
  63. JefferyP
    Mar 6, 2010
    Overrated and overhyped. If some people trash the room when they get fired, what will they do when they get fired over the internet? Why wouldn't they just trash computer? No many laughs, either. I
  64. JonM
    Mar 2, 2010
    No movie I've seen in the last year has more infuriated me than this boring, bourgeois fluff-piece about Ivy League Grinches having their poor little hearts suddenly grow three sizes and just BURST out their chests. It tells the unremittingly boring tale of a mostly despicable guy who has a despicable and confused affair with an equally confused and despicably adulterous woman, an No movie I've seen in the last year has more infuriated me than this boring, bourgeois fluff-piece about Ivy League Grinches having their poor little hearts suddenly grow three sizes and just BURST out their chests. It tells the unremittingly boring tale of a mostly despicable guy who has a despicable and confused affair with an equally confused and despicably adulterous woman, an affair rife with despicably vacuous, wannabe suave banter. In the course of carrying out his despicable job working alongside and for other despicable people firing other despicable people who just can't FATHOM how to pick up the pieces of their lives after losing out on all the sweet Grand Cherokee-filled promise of their entitled, upper middle class 60-90+k salaries. And Anna Kendrick's performance is most offensive of all. Not a shred of authentic type-A female humanity in her performance, a truly disgustingly low-quality acting performance. People who think Anna Kendrick is worth her salt IN THE LEAST in this performance HORRIFY me. I was APPALLED to see that she was nominated for a Golden Globe for this. Was nobody else moved to vomit by her ridiculously phony parody of an emotional breakdown in the airport with Clooney? Pure broadway bull. All I can imagine on this score is that aging people with ink to spill have ATROCIOUS taste in young actors. And that ridiculous hip hop concert scene with everyone dancing? Yeah, that would have already been a cheesy, condescending appeal to a younger generation back in like 1997. . .it's 2010, you freaking troglodytic wannabe pop-cultural savants. I CAN NOT BELIEVE the praise with which this tripe has been lavished. . .although I CAN imagine that the FILM CRITICS of the world would just ADORE a meditation on a soulless, promiscuously single middle aged man's anomic descent into an emotional isolation of his own creation until at last. . .he has become so estranged from his baby sister that she asks their UNCLE to walk her down the aisle instead of her big brother GEORGE CLOONEY! Can you just IMAGINE?! (who, incidentally, I deeply respect and love in almost everything. I also enjoy Jason Bateman and Danny McBride. I decided the three of them must have lost some bet to get dragged into this unmitigatedly stupid, shlocky and downright sociologically reprehensible movie whose almost boundless crappiness is keenly augmented by a soundtrack straight out of the eighth circle of hell) And for those who think this total piece of crap is somehow "uplifting" or "deeply relevant in light of recent economic blah blah blah", I rebut that the over-arching "oh, our poor down economy" theme smacks revoltingly of noblesse oblige. You know who this "down economy" has hit particularly hard? People who worked for LEHMAN BROTHERS and other types who watch tickers and used to read the Wall Street Journal before they started using it as toilet paper last year because they aren't QUITE SO RICH ANYMORE, you bunch of stupids. You get away with this as a special interest-sponsored Special Presentation on Watching Your Dollar TV on the freaking MONEY Channel. This movie can bite me. Critics of America, your response to this piece of trash means class warfare. You're on. Expand
  65. KaariJ
    Feb 23, 2010
    Excellent movie. I think those not liking it cannot relate to the flying for business. For those of us that do, this movie resonates in so many levels.
  66. PFinlay
    Feb 21, 2010
    A really nice film! Not trying to reinvent cinema or trying to blow up the white house, just simply telling a fantastic story and telling it well through excellent acting!
  67. A.E.
    Feb 21, 2010
    Clever film that I could easily relate to--great character development and good acting. Glad to see that "flyover" territory gets some respect.
  68. paulw
    Feb 21, 2010
    Hated this movie. Underneath all of the supposedly biting social commentary lies the very, very conventional view that everyone really should aspire to the traditional convention of marriage with kids, house with a lawn, barking dogs etc. Presents a downright vilification of those who have chosen to make other 'lifestyle choices' and purports to show how lonely, misguided and Hated this movie. Underneath all of the supposedly biting social commentary lies the very, very conventional view that everyone really should aspire to the traditional convention of marriage with kids, house with a lawn, barking dogs etc. Presents a downright vilification of those who have chosen to make other 'lifestyle choices' and purports to show how lonely, misguided and just plain wrong they are. Clooney discovers this of course when he leaves his jet-set lifestlye to go back to a sisters wedding and finds another sister on the brink of divorce and the married couple unable to put the money together for a honeymoon. The film panders to those who have made the traditional choices in life and aligns those who have chosen not to get married with characteristics of selfishness, lack of compassion and cold-heartedness. of course Clooneys job in the movie is a transient corporate suit charged with the firing of numerous workers and the destroying of their happy family dreams. Really come on - and no married people have ever fired others in the current economy? One last question - if the single life of the middle-aged man really is this vapid and desolate why is mr Clooney himself still unmarried? Expand
  69. BrianM.
    Feb 16, 2010
    Like most movies that receive loads of critical praise, Up in the Air doesn't live up to expectations. But if you can put aside the gushing reviews and view the movie with an open mind, what you'll find is a genuinely smart and entertaining comedy that deals with a familiar theme: that life is more fulfilling when you have people that you care about to share it with.
  70. KaseyS.
    Feb 15, 2010
    To say this is the best movie of the year is to minimize what it is and what it does. There are so many good things about this movie that it is difficult to begin a list. The actors are phenomenal. The story is told in a unique (in today's world) voice that focuses on the effects that certain events have on the characters, not the other way around. It's hysterical, To say this is the best movie of the year is to minimize what it is and what it does. There are so many good things about this movie that it is difficult to begin a list. The actors are phenomenal. The story is told in a unique (in today's world) voice that focuses on the effects that certain events have on the characters, not the other way around. It's hysterical, heartbreaking, and, for most professionals sitting in the audience, haunting. It's so frighteningly on point, that you will not shake the movie for months. Very powerful. Very good filmmaking. Expand
  71. LordB
    Feb 15, 2010
    Overhyped and overrated. Ultimately a conservative, sententious piece, which is a pity as it didn't start out that way. Clooney's casting, which seemed masterful given his real life rejection of moral 'essentials' like marriage, in the end became jarringly contradictory. Imagine Charlie Sheen playing the Pope, or Amy Winehouse playing Anne Frank. The shallowist Overhyped and overrated. Ultimately a conservative, sententious piece, which is a pity as it didn't start out that way. Clooney's casting, which seemed masterful given his real life rejection of moral 'essentials' like marriage, in the end became jarringly contradictory. Imagine Charlie Sheen playing the Pope, or Amy Winehouse playing Anne Frank. The shallowist 'deep' film I've seen. Expand
  72. EggyG
    Feb 15, 2010
    Perfect movie for this time of crisis. Amazingly portray in really brilliant way some of the hard issues in life. George Clooney was perfect...totally cool & charming but with depth. Great cast, music & directing. Just perfect!
  73. m1
    Feb 13, 2010
    For anyone who walked out around the 30 minute mark: you have just missed a wonderful cinematic achievement. George Clooney was TERRIFIC in the role (I don't know what performance you watched when critiquing him). How this only has a user average of 6.7 as of now is beyond me. AND yes, there WAS character development. The characters were built upon as the movie progressed. My For anyone who walked out around the 30 minute mark: you have just missed a wonderful cinematic achievement. George Clooney was TERRIFIC in the role (I don't know what performance you watched when critiquing him). How this only has a user average of 6.7 as of now is beyond me. AND yes, there WAS character development. The characters were built upon as the movie progressed. My favorite scene was toward the middle where the three stars enjoy a drink while bantering about love, and then crash a party. The end is arguably dispiriting. However, this is the best Academy Award contender since UP and a superior film to the entertaining but slightly overpraised Avatar. Expand
  74. CollinP
    Feb 11, 2010
    The genius of this film lies in its duality. Yes, George Clooney's character is self-centered, irresponsible and at times shallow. But he also makes many good points about how we don't all have to follow one singular path. He chooses to live a life different from the mainstream, and while most people (understandably) may think this is a shallow decision, he's proving that The genius of this film lies in its duality. Yes, George Clooney's character is self-centered, irresponsible and at times shallow. But he also makes many good points about how we don't all have to follow one singular path. He chooses to live a life different from the mainstream, and while most people (understandably) may think this is a shallow decision, he's proving that we shouldn't feel like there's only one way we can "live" this life here on earth. Not everyone wants to have kids, get married, buy a house, and live a sedentary, domesticated life. Yet, all the while throughout the film (though obviously a bit contrived) he comes to see that it's maybe he himself who is narrow-minded about the way one should live their life (and that a human connection is likely one of the most fulfilling things we can accomplish). That's why I loved this movie. It allows you to take many different messages from it, without shoving one down your throat, right down to the harshly ambiguous ending. Easily top 5 of the year. Expand
  75. WayneL.
    Feb 11, 2010
    When the movie was over, I couldn't answer the question of why it was made.
  76. PaulF.
    Feb 9, 2010
    Let me begin by saying this movie was much better than expected. It had a slow average beginning which ramped up into almost a comedy and became much more heart felt and introspective by the end of the movie. The worst aspects of the movie were the terribly unconvincing crying scene of his female co-worker and the incessant advertising by the hotel, air, car companies. I really wish Let me begin by saying this movie was much better than expected. It had a slow average beginning which ramped up into almost a comedy and became much more heart felt and introspective by the end of the movie. The worst aspects of the movie were the terribly unconvincing crying scene of his female co-worker and the incessant advertising by the hotel, air, car companies. I really wish they'd stop doing this as it vastly cheapens the movie. The best parts of the movie were a couple of funny scenes and the introspective and somewhat surprise of an ending. Don't mistake this as a feel good movie. It at times almost feels that way but in the end you can feel ultimately what Clune's character felt, loneliness. Expand
  77. TonyB
    Feb 8, 2010
    George Clooney, thanks to an absence of his frequent irritatingly cutesy charm, gives as good a performance as he did in "The Perfect Storm." With considerable help from Vera Farmiga and Anna Hendrik, this turns out to be one of 2009's better films.'
  78. CarolP.
    Feb 8, 2010
    After reading these reviews, I'm realize that even less people have good taste then I thought. This movie had a fantastic underlying meaning and was very well-cast. The plot was very original as well, and my only complaint would be that it was weak in certain scenes (ex. the wedding scene).
  79. Oldyag
    Feb 7, 2010
    How can you not say that is good? You fleas fail to see that it has got nothing to do with down sizing or Clooneys job and he doesn't have an epiphany at the end and realise that he would be happier with someone else. Its about how men have affairs with integrity whereas women do it heartlessly. If she had of said she was married, he wouldn't have cared. No moralising necessary, How can you not say that is good? You fleas fail to see that it has got nothing to do with down sizing or Clooneys job and he doesn't have an epiphany at the end and realise that he would be happier with someone else. Its about how men have affairs with integrity whereas women do it heartlessly. If she had of said she was married, he wouldn't have cared. No moralising necessary, but she wanted to build farken snowmen and go to his sisters wedding. WHYYYYYYYY? Steve S, 'The Book of Eli' is pure dross!!! Stop going to the movies and stick your head in a bucket of sand. Expand
  80. Brett
    Feb 7, 2010
    Love movies that make you look at your life. Yes the movie is smug, but the key message is 'look at your life, in how many of your favorite moments were you alone?'. If your favorite movie of the year was Transformers 2, you should probably not consider seeing this, as you will deem it 'overhyped', if you on the other hand have a few brain cells, you should enjoy it in Love movies that make you look at your life. Yes the movie is smug, but the key message is 'look at your life, in how many of your favorite moments were you alone?'. If your favorite movie of the year was Transformers 2, you should probably not consider seeing this, as you will deem it 'overhyped', if you on the other hand have a few brain cells, you should enjoy it in some fashion. Expand
  81. LaureO.
    Feb 6, 2010
    Nice, clever, pleasant, a few tears... A good one that you may not remember in a year, but actors play well and it is well done. I recommend for a "no brainer" night.
  82. AndrewG.
    Feb 6, 2010
    My pick for the best film of the year. Reitman's screenplay is easily this year's finest and the movie itself is the best acted of the year too.
  83. EichenauerP.
    Feb 5, 2010
    If you haven
  84. SaraJ.
    Feb 4, 2010
    This film was entertaining - it kept me completely engaged until the end, BUT... I was so disappointed by the ending. It felt as though the film was viewed by a 'test audience' and the George Clooney character was required to suffer for disconnected lifestyle and thus became cliche. For me, it was a shame that the mid American character had to become -well... so stereotypically This film was entertaining - it kept me completely engaged until the end, BUT... I was so disappointed by the ending. It felt as though the film was viewed by a 'test audience' and the George Clooney character was required to suffer for disconnected lifestyle and thus became cliche. For me, it was a shame that the mid American character had to become -well... so stereotypically mid-American. Expand
  85. TomD
    Feb 3, 2010
    Are you guys serious? This movie was effortlessly funny and dramatic without become to sentimental or ribald. The writing was smart and clever. Clooney was at his finest; Anna Kendrick was terrific as the twenty-someting out to change the world; Vera Farmiga was seductive and beautiful in her role as well. Great movie!
  86. KarenG.
    Feb 2, 2010
    The most overpraised movie I've seen in ages. Cute and nicely tucked in artifice posing as something "poignant." I find it really disappointing how many people apparently were seduced by the surface-level fluff, "sexiness," and doc-style interviews with real laid-off people (the best part of the movie, by far -- but lacking an organic connection to Bingham's story) into thinking The most overpraised movie I've seen in ages. Cute and nicely tucked in artifice posing as something "poignant." I find it really disappointing how many people apparently were seduced by the surface-level fluff, "sexiness," and doc-style interviews with real laid-off people (the best part of the movie, by far -- but lacking an organic connection to Bingham's story) into thinking they were seeing something with real relevance and meaning. Whoever pegged it as a movie with a "juvenile sense of seriousness" -- I couldn't agree more! George Clooney was, well... a very good... George Clooney. And the Vera Farmiga character, while impressive for awhile, was a big disappointment in the end -- the revelation/twist was so poorly done! A convenient, unbelievable fabrication obviously contrived so that Bingham could have his big "transformative moment." Slight problem: now we suddenly we have something else thrown on our plate to muddle the story even more: a truly unlikable, deceitful, screwed-up woman, masquerading around as some kind of male fantasy creature -- but who (as if this woman could even exist in the real world) is the most messed-up character in the movie by far (and that says a lot.) And what is Bingham's big enlightenment in the end: oh, that maybe this lifestyle he was so proud of is really kind of vapid & meaningless. But I'm going to keep on with my job of firing people (oh -- but with integrity! Not distantly over the internet!) -- because my story has nothing to do with a revelation about the meaning of THAT (as opposed to the Natalie's enlightenment, which at least found some way of connecting the story in a human way to the big, depressing picture of the economy and all the tragic lay-offs.) What a disappointment. Please don't let it win an Oscar! Expand
  87. AllanS
    Feb 2, 2010
    An unreal plot, full of holes in its logic. I saw it with 5 other people and all agreed that apart from George Clooney's charisma it has NOTHING going for it!
  88. SusanS
    Feb 1, 2010
    this film has been billed as a comedy, it is not funny. It is a thought provoking, sad film. All the main characters are brilliantly portrayed, it is a great film and I was very sad that there were so few people watching it with me.
  89. EveG
    Feb 1, 2010
    This movie is way overrated. It was sort of fun to watch, had some clever bits of dialogue, but is in no way as good as the critics make it out to be. It is very superficial.
  90. BK
    Jan 31, 2010
    This movie was totally shallow and very over rated after all the hype it was a complete letdown. Why is George Clooney still in movies? He tries to hard to be cute, his acting is dull & he seems to be a Cary Grant wanna be. The so-called critics can't seem to remember a little thing called entertainment!
  91. SteveS
    Jan 31, 2010
    Walked out after 30 minutes. Absolutely no plot or character development development. Luckily, the theater management let us go to another movie at no charge. Saw 'The Book of Eli' which probably isn't an Oscar contender but was infinitely better than the mindless trainwreck we walked out of.
  92. ChetB
    Jan 31, 2010
    Can't believe I wasted $11.75 on this steaming pile of garbage. Clooney doesn't so much act as play himself at his most annoyingly charming. The young woman who plays his co-worker is also terrible, her performance reminiscent of a college theater production. The characters are not believable at all. The 'plot' such as it is, is boring, predictable, and childishly Can't believe I wasted $11.75 on this steaming pile of garbage. Clooney doesn't so much act as play himself at his most annoyingly charming. The young woman who plays his co-worker is also terrible, her performance reminiscent of a college theater production. The characters are not believable at all. The 'plot' such as it is, is boring, predictable, and childishly sentimental. If you found this film moving or meaningful, I feeI sorry for you. I could go on but you get the idea. Wish I had paid attention to the user reviews over the critics on this one. If you are a gullible moron who loves, Clooney, you might enjoy this film. Expand
  93. MichaelJ
    Jan 31, 2010
    The casting was poorly chosen, moments that were too contrived, which ultimately ruined the film.
  94. Eve
    Jan 30, 2010
    What a sorry movie for our (economic) times.
  95. GrantP.
    Jan 28, 2010
    A surprising amount of people didn't like this movie. After reading these reviews, it seems like these are the kind of people that don't give a damn about the meaning behind it.
  96. Sausage
    Jan 27, 2010
    Its Like a polished ping pong ball...slick and light skipping along at a great bouncy pace. Once dissected however, its filled with nothing more than forgettable air!!!
  97. DavidG.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Every thing about this movie was amazing. The things that really standout are the script and George Clooney. The script is witty and funny. It has just the right doses of comedy and realism. It is depressing and funny at the same time. I'm not a big fan of George Clooney, but this was his best role. He did a fantastic job. He should win the Academy Award for best Actor. He should of Every thing about this movie was amazing. The things that really standout are the script and George Clooney. The script is witty and funny. It has just the right doses of comedy and realism. It is depressing and funny at the same time. I'm not a big fan of George Clooney, but this was his best role. He did a fantastic job. He should win the Academy Award for best Actor. He should of won the Golden Globe for acting, but was robbed because Jeff Bridges actually did a decent job at acting. Expand
  98. WaldoJ.
    Jan 26, 2010
    If you haven't seen the film and are wondering whether to trust the 83/100 critic rating or the 6.6/10 user rating, trust the critic rating in this case. The film is truly excellent: wonderful performances from the three leads, a great script, with biting dialogue, a stunningly relevant plot, and filled with witty and heartbreaking moments. Subtly moving, this great film is a must If you haven't seen the film and are wondering whether to trust the 83/100 critic rating or the 6.6/10 user rating, trust the critic rating in this case. The film is truly excellent: wonderful performances from the three leads, a great script, with biting dialogue, a stunningly relevant plot, and filled with witty and heartbreaking moments. Subtly moving, this great film is a must see, and is a vast improvement over director Jason Reitman's first two films, Thank You For Smoking and the overrated Juno. Expand
  99. JamesD
    Jan 25, 2010
    Up in the Air is a very realistic interpretation of reality. I find that George Clooney's character in this film was one for having an elegant way of life that few dare choose. I thought that the narration and the early part of the film really dragged me into the narrative. The only subtle weakness is that it does drag on a bit but I thought the messages and values that the film Up in the Air is a very realistic interpretation of reality. I find that George Clooney's character in this film was one for having an elegant way of life that few dare choose. I thought that the narration and the early part of the film really dragged me into the narrative. The only subtle weakness is that it does drag on a bit but I thought the messages and values that the film presents are quite endearing to the purpose of life. Expand
  100. jackson
    Jan 24, 2010
    Turkey time as this boring film is as depressing as anything you have ever seen. You care zilch for the characters and the third act is a disaster. The ending you can see coming midway thru the movie. Terrible and way overrated.

1. It's rare for a movie to be at once so biting and so moving. If Ryan's future seems bleak, there's something exhilarating about a movie made with such clear-eyed intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The timing in the Clooney-Farmiga scenes is like splendid tennis, with each player surprising the other with shots but keeping the rally going to breathtaking duration.
  3. Up in the Air is poised to be a smash, and Clooney--slim, dark, perfectly tailored--glamorizes insincerity in a way that makes you want to go out and lie.