7.4

1. Aug 27, 2014
    Jason Reitman + George Clooney + Vera Farmiga + Anna Kendrick = cinematic perfection. Smart and bold. You know it's good when you begin to question your own life.
  2. Jul 27, 2014
    Have just seen this - though I like GC I CANNOT understand how it got such rave reviews. This film is absolutely crap. Characters whilst well played are unsympathetic, the story goes nowhere - got to the end wondering what was the point of this film? There is none in fact .... I don't need happy endings but I would like an ending - did the writer run out of ideas? Sorry just rubbish
  3. Jul 3, 2014
    Run away if you see Clooney in a suit next time.
    It's a pathetic movie.I watched 3 clooney movies consecutively after getting overwhelmed by seen 'Burn after reading" it is a very good satire movie.Love that one(congrats to COEN bros,love them too after this movie)
    What is George clooney? an MBA holder working as CFO in one of the MNCs ,if so he has performed very well.
    But i didn't
    download the movie to see how good he is in corporate affairs.A boring,not at all interesting movie.Good performance by actors.but i hate this movie.I got similar experiences from his recent 2 movies too(Syriana,Michael Clayton).All these films are like some David fincher movie with full of dialogues as if they were made to test the retention skills of actors,no twists,wits,action,comedy,sentiments .They are political movies dealing with contemporary American lives but ..as a movie it doesn't present the matters in a more digestible way with good stands ,but for that purpose a documentary is good don't waste our time by producing such 'Mr.Perfect man in Suite movies'. Expand
  4. Jun 26, 2014
    I gave this a 9 before, but I'm going to lower my score now for a few reasons. There are spots in this movie that are somewhat un-engaging and boring. These scenes are at odds with the rest of the movie which is entertaining, lively, and sharply directed by Reitman. The dialogue is realistic, the performances are believable, and there are even some unexpected turns. From a filmmaking standpoint the movie is almost flawless. It's just that the audience for this film is somewhat limited. It's being called a comedy, but it's really a straightforward drama. It's not really even a hybrid of the two like Reitman's own Juno or Silver Linings Playbook. It might not be funny, but I'd still take this over the cliché crap that usually comes out of this genre. Expand
  5. Dec 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Slickly rendered and intelligently scripted, offering a deft mixture of comedy and pathos, "Up in the Air" is entertaining but also painstakingly grounded in reality, seamlessly entwining humor with an existentially bleak edge that this troubled era of downsizing and recession makes all the more meaningful and relevant.

As far as acting goes, the performances here are exceptional, and are largely what makes it work. J. K. Simmons and Steve Eastin are fantastic in their brief but brilliant cameos as fired employees; Amy Morton and Jason Bateman offer some good supporting work; and Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick deliver richly layered performances in their respective roles, Kendrick in particular. But George Clooney is the centerpiece of the film evoking Ryan Bingham with charisma and suave interlaced with loneliness, desperation and fear.

A fantastic view.
  6. Oct 30, 2013
    I really really enjoyed this movie. It was bitter sweet in a wonderful way. The story flowed nicely and Clooney's character suited him extremely well. It doesn't end in the happiest ending but that is what makes it a good movie. I would definitely recommend this movie to anybody.
  7. Jul 23, 2013
    How is this movie so well liked? George Clooney and Vera Farmiga's characters are just completey unlikable and the story almost literally goes nowhere. The most interesting character was Zach Galifianakis' character who appears for less then a minute.
  8. Apr 20, 2013
    The movie's subtle thematic plot, at first, confuses and leaves the audience with a hollow, unfulfilled catharsis at the end.........................................
  9. Mar 30, 2013
    Up in the Air is a film that is tiresome and worthless, with characters I didn't like one bit. What fascinates me the most is how this film can put someone to sleep faster than a lullaby. A pointless dull film.
  10. Feb 24, 2013
    Just a terrific film! An honest picture of charming, but flawed, people. Perfectly acted by George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, and Anna Kendrick. Brilliant script, brilliant film!
  11. Jan 6, 2013
    A great movie of a solitary life. Everything in this movie makes me sad and I find it beautiful. George Clooney is back again and he is amazing. The writing is sharp and witty with a fun story about what it's like in the modern society.
  12. Nov 15, 2012
    The best part of Up in the Air isn't the excellent performances or even the pitch-perfect script, it's how real the movie is, and that comes from Reitman's careful direction.
  13. Aug 25, 2012
    I think the critics went slightly overboard when reviewing this film. It is a good film which is funny in places but at times it seems far too stuck up itself to realise when it is waning from the plot. Reitman continues to produce good films but this is not his best work as some would have you believe.
  14. Jul 15, 2012
    Up in the Air is a fantastic piece of existential character study. Powered by a masterful performance by George Clooney, the movie hits all the right notes before coming to a subtle yet wrenching conclusion. Excelling in all departments from directing to soundtrack, Up in the Air is a must see.
  15. Mar 31, 2012
    A very boring film. The acting is overpraised so much that it is ridiculous. The critics are so wrong. Everything about it, had nothing new to offer. This movie even makes me more sick of George than I already am.
  16. Mar 16, 2012
    One of my favorite films ever, is amazing, incedible, emotive. And the better... the cast, Anna Kendrick, Vera Farmiga, George Clooney, are amazing. The story can be sad, but the film is fantastic. Up in the Air is a classic.
  17. Mar 12, 2012
    I really liked this movie. Solid acting by the cast, An interesting plot, and overall its just a solid film that I really enjoyed watching. Im suprised that the fans dont like it more but hey, I guess its not for everyone. But to me, Its definently worth the watch.
  18. Mar 1, 2012
    Although marketed and advertised as a comedy-drama film, this movie truthfully skimps on the laughs but redeems itself in the dramatic sense. However there are so many different themes in 'Up in the Air' one could be forgiven in thinking the flick (in itself) is a self-motivational handout. Sadly some are left unanswered. Despite that George Clooney is excellently cast in the lead which matches his public persona of being quite charming but the standout has to be Vera Farmiga; a desirable choice for Clooney's love interest. Expand
  19. Feb 16, 2012
    A truly enjoyable movie from start to finish. makes you ponder abt your life and future. A compelling performance from the cast. Good storyline combined with powerful cast and amazing direction and cinematography of the movie. what more can i ask for?
  20. Feb 6, 2012
    Up in the Air was one of the best movies of 2009. George Clooney gave a great performance and the movie was funny and heartwarming. It managed to do what most movies can't do. Feel real.
  21. Dec 27, 2011
    "Up In The Air" One Line Review! "A-"

Extremely timely, thought provoking and emotional - And just when I thought they were going to wrap things up a little too neatly, BAM - I loved it, I think everyone would benefit from seeing it.
  22. Oct 15, 2011
    I don't really like this kind of romantic films but this time I kinda liked it. Liked the acting performances but imo George Clooney's role was pathetic. I really appreciated the lack of happy-ending.
  23. Oct 9, 2011
    Up in the Air is a movie that I found myself relating to on many levels and its impact I found personal, something that is missing from most movies. The characters are very real, the theme of how boring everyday life can be is interesting and the 3rd act of the film is awesome and memorable. The interviews and theme of people losing their jobs seems relevant on one hand but a little forced and disconnected to the main plot but its only a minor gripe. Up In The Air is great and a must see. Highly recommended. Expand
  24. Sep 15, 2011
    What "Up in the Air" wants us to do is not to watch in boredom equipped with popcorn, but to understand the emotion and the characters the movie has to present to us.
  25. Aug 27, 2011
    It was a well done movie, but I was bored in the middle of it, so I've left. I watched the other half few days later so. I don't know. It didn't keep my attention. I wouldn't say it was predictable. I thought that George and Vera's character will hook up and get married but it wasn't so. I also like Anna's character and that's all. All together, it was boring. Fans of George Clooney are gonna love it. Expand
  26. CRL
    Jul 30, 2011
    Billed to me as a comedy, Up in the Air is much more than that. It's an emotionally moving and laugh-inducing drama with stellar acting from George Clooney. The premise is so sarcastically dry, as is Clooney's character, that by itself it invokes a few laughs. Add to that some surprisingly dark themes towards the ending and it becomes complete in every possible way.
  27. Jul 18, 2011
    Good little film, not the funniest or most dramatic film ive ever seen but well acted, directed and shot with a good script and likeable characters who make you want to see more of them after the credits have rolled. Having said that, my wife hated it and fell asleep before the end!
  28. Jun 13, 2011
    A mature comedy-drama for adults with a really neat twist at the end. All the principle actors are really fine and the direction is right on, with a first rate screenplay and dialog. One of my favorites and one of George Clooney's best.
  29. May 21, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies. George Clooney is an amazing actor, and should have gotten the Oscar. In fact, this movie should have gotten the Oscar over the Hurt Locker. It's such a beautiful look into what love and relationships are, without taking a side either way.
  30. Mar 15, 2011
    Up in the air was witty and funny. It's a story about a man who doesn't realize how lonely he really his and how he changes as a person throughout the movie. Not to mention George Clooney was outstanding, he fit the role perfectly.

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    It's rare for a movie to be at once so biting and so moving. If Ryan's future seems bleak, there's something exhilarating about a movie made with such clear-eyed intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The timing in the Clooney-Farmiga scenes is like splendid tennis, with each player surprising the other with shots but keeping the rally going to breathtaking duration.
  3. Up in the Air is poised to be a smash, and Clooney--slim, dark, perfectly tailored--glamorizes insincerity in a way that makes you want to go out and lie.