7.4

1. RebeccaT
    Apr 18, 2010
    I loved this movie. Ryan's character is so much like myself. That's not the reason I love it, it's just a very well-put together film. =)
  2. Dec 25, 2010
    A really entertaining, good film that definitely make you wonder about the American lifestyle and how good and rewarding (or unrewarding) it actually is. With great direction, screenplay and some really good performances, "Up in the Air" manages to make one laugh as well as feel the desperation of Clooney's character. Definitely a film worth watching!
  3. Aug 27, 2010
    Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney,Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick) are breathtaking in their character roles, each carrying a sense of enigma affixed with their own goals and expectations for love and life, and as always each is compromised along the way. The relationship between Clooney and Farmiga has incredible chemistry, and Kendrick's conjunction of professionalism and idealism was handled perfectly (I smell Oscars here....) Though most of the dialogue is infused with the quick wit you can always expect from Reitman films, this movie is really one of the most devastating and heavy films of the year. It perfectly embodies the journey of middle-age angst just as 'Juno' represented the indifference of smart-ass teenagers, but like 'Juno', it may appeal more to the age group it is depicting. Expand
  4. Sep 18, 2010
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging. There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging.

There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed in an orderly and point my eye, but not random gossip on a man. This man, able to defend themselves from the threat of a nature that loves to challenge those who dream and strives to make real and concrete objects of their desire, is ready for anything. Throughout his life, sooner or later happen to face painful events. The death of a loved one, our dog, a love story ended, a financial investment bankruptcy, dismissal. Mr. Ryan is interested in layoffs. The dismissal, for the sufferer, it can cause serious, serious mental disorders. The pain caused by it, can turn into anxiety, existential closure too often, the next step and "extreme" is suicide. All these "inner beatings, mental" can be turned into disruptive forces in new psychic energy, in increasing self-esteem, desire to relive. Ryan Bingham (G. Clooney) offers his skills to those companies that have to lay off people. Travels the skies of the U.S.A. far and wide. Thousands talks "motivational" making, not to mention those covered. The plane is his first house and this house is tastefully furnished and mentally occupied with pleasure. His travels take place in a frequent flyer program of American Airlines. Its status is excellent. The goal is that at heart is to reach ten million miles. Incredible ten million miles. Many people who meet during the various movements. One of them, Alex (Vera Farmiga), fascinates him, trapping him, his travels thus become a bit 'less instrumental and a bit' more human. A relationship develops between the two. Third stage entrance. A young graduate, Natalie Keener (Anna Kendric) is supporting so vehemently, a project that allows her dismissal "from the ground" in the sense that, the unfortunate party, sitting in front of the monitor gets the sack over the internet. Ryan is forced to return home. Witnessing a demonstration and exposes all its perplexities. Miss Natalie claims that did not mind that this type of profession needs a "human linguistic semantics" and not "computerized management of human feelings." But you know, when you can save millions of dollars at the expense of the mental health ... do not think twice. Indeed, we do not think so. Ryan suggests to his boss to entrust Natalie, so will the "field" whether his theories deserve to be reviewed. Begins with Natalie unprecedented adventure, learn the rhythms and techniques of flight, initial approaches are not happy. The novel taste flyer on his body the marks they leave the informal words, without the bon-ton human relationships. The boyfriend download by SMS. I stop here to not remove the viewer the pleasure of discovery. ... The plot is nice and full bodied. Love, economic welfare, psychological and physical discomfort, maturity and youth, experience and novitiate, certainties and uncertainties, isolation and companionship, joy and sadness there is something for everyone. These themes are presented with such elegance and sobriety. Almost in a whisper. When you reach a goal achieved with sacrifice "flights" growing up. Whether this objective tell you that you have reached when you are "on" How do you feel? Ryan feels like the end of his journey? For miles routes, will add a few meters? Ulysses was a flyer, in a sense, returned to Ithaca, he finds his wife and son. Throughout his travels, he has never forgotten the ultimate goal. The return home. His house, his suffering, emotional stability. See, in conclusion, what he left. Its origins. Even Ryan there are traces of Odysseus. I think.

Welcome aboard and good trip.
  5. Sep 2, 2010
    Generally funny, and heartwarming. Up in the Air proves to be Jason Reitman's best since Juno. George Clooney is brilliant as the cut-throat businessman being grounded by his company, while his co-stars Farmiga and Kendrick are also outstanding. The story was definitely interesting and proves to be one of the best films of last year.
  6. Sep 7, 2010
    Great movie. I was really pulling for Clooney to win the Oscar but I guess Jeff Bridges finally deserved one. I was pleasantly surprised by Anna Kendrick's performance. I had no idea that anyone from Twilight could actually act but she did a great job. In a way this was a very sad but real movie.
  7. Sep 19, 2010
    One of the best new movies I've seen in a long time. It met all my expectations. With the charm and comedic sensibilities of Broadcast News, the brutal realism of Glengarry Glen Ross and the humanity of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, this movie is a must-see.
  8. Mar 16, 2012
    One of my favorite films ever, is amazing, incedible, emotive. And the better... the cast, Anna Kendrick, Vera Farmiga, George Clooney, are amazing. The story can be sad, but the film is fantastic. Up in the Air is a classic.
  9. Jul 23, 2013
    How is this movie so well liked? George Clooney and Vera Farmiga's characters are just completey unlikable and the story almost literally goes nowhere. The most interesting character was Zach Galifianakis' character who appears for less then a minute.
  10. Sep 15, 2011
    What "Up in the Air" wants us to do is not to watch in boredom equipped with popcorn, but to understand the emotion and the characters the movie has to present to us.
  11. Aug 14, 2010
    Seriously? This movie was humorous and all, but the ending was really stupid, I mean, Ryan finally finds a woman, but then it turns out that she was married w/ children?! That's just sad. I was disappointed that I spent, like, 5 dollars on this on VOD on Buckeye, and it sucked! Don't see this movie if you haven't yet...
  12. Bobo
    Apr 9, 2010
    Am I the only one who was restless (bored) by this movie? Clooney saved it-just barely-and even he was getting on my nerves.
  13. MarcB
    Jan 4, 2010
    Up In The Air should not be up for Best Picture. An exceptional performance from Clooney can't save a pretentious, overreaching and ultimately elusive screenplay on the modern condition that ends up being as cold and removed as it's protagonist(antagonist depending on how you view it.) One of the worst feelings a moviegoer can experience is the feeling of uncomfortablity and Up In The Air should not be up for Best Picture. An exceptional performance from Clooney can't save a pretentious, overreaching and ultimately elusive screenplay on the modern condition that ends up being as cold and removed as it's protagonist(antagonist depending on how you view it.) One of the worst feelings a moviegoer can experience is the feeling of uncomfortablity and uneasiness with what you're watching unfold onscreen. This movie can be likened to that. It made me feel ashamed of myself and I felt kind of cheapened afterwards. I wanted to get up and out of the theater. Not a pleasant viewing experience by any stretch of ... See Morethe imagination and apparently not by any stretch of the director's imagination, either. It ended up glorifying and at the same time vilifying what it created. I knew I was going to have problems when Mr. Clooney exchanges rapid fire, ultra hip modernist technolouge with Ms. Fermiga about all the different kinds of credit cards they have and use. It felt like foreign language too me. And this was supposed to be a scene showing off the sexy chemistry and banter between the lead male and supporting female costar. Give me a break. Basically, the movie is a generic modern romantic dramedy souped up for disguise with a "bigger" or "deeper" message about capitalism and corporate robots and alienation in the digital age etc etc that gets lost somewhere in the clouds, or, perhaps in the screenplay that dragged me kicking and screaming into its final half hour ( all the while I was praying silently for some genuine heartfelt flimmaking) to some vapid moral swamp where youre supposed to feel cosy at a film that exploits rather than empathizes with all the people whose lives have been ruined by the economy. Miraculous character turnaround aside, Clooney's performance is genuine, heartfelt and exceptional for what it's worth. No matter where this movie takes his character, I always felt he was trying to be believable. It isnt his fault, it's the screenplay. He is the best thing about this strange and unsatisfying film. But didnt you know that it's all about wholesome values like real connections with family, friends, love and smug little voice over narration? Please dont insult my feelings or intelligence Mr. Reitman. I'll let you get away with Juno because that's about a smarmy teenage girl with a heart of gold. But with Up In The Air, I dont know what's worse, that it wasnt honest with its characters, or that it wasnt honest with us, the audience? Expand
  14. ChetB
    Jan 31, 2010
    Can't believe I wasted $11.75 on this steaming pile of garbage. Clooney doesn't so much act as play himself at his most annoyingly charming. The young woman who plays his co-worker is also terrible, her performance reminiscent of a college theater production. The characters are not believable at all. The 'plot' such as it is, is boring, predictable, and childishly Can't believe I wasted $11.75 on this steaming pile of garbage. Clooney doesn't so much act as play himself at his most annoyingly charming. The young woman who plays his co-worker is also terrible, her performance reminiscent of a college theater production. The characters are not believable at all. The 'plot' such as it is, is boring, predictable, and childishly sentimental. If you found this film moving or meaningful, I feeI sorry for you. I could go on but you get the idea. Wish I had paid attention to the user reviews over the critics on this one. If you are a gullible moron who loves, Clooney, you might enjoy this film. Expand
  15. Dwight
    Jan 6, 2010
    I would like to address the comment by Jason M. What does he mean that some critics aren't bought and paid for and then says some are? Which is it? I saw this movie with 3 other couples and everyone hated it. It was depressing with awful casting. George Clooney is so overated by the liberal critics that they kiss his keester no matter what he does. If a movie about flight miles, time I would like to address the comment by Jason M. What does he mean that some critics aren't bought and paid for and then says some are? Which is it? I saw this movie with 3 other couples and everyone hated it. It was depressing with awful casting. George Clooney is so overated by the liberal critics that they kiss his keester no matter what he does. If a movie about flight miles, time management, and being needed to fire people you don't know is your cup of tea then go watch this moss growing on a rock. And for two mismatched people one handsome and the other a bow wow having an affair it was as ludicrous as the dog giving him her home address. This movie was a total contradiction to the first 2 acts and disintergrates before your very eyes. All you need do is look at the box office revenue to know that this drek is being panned by the movie going public. You have been warned. Expand
  16. AnnieG
    Jan 9, 2010
    I don't understand why so many people I have talked to have really enjoyed this movie. Besides the lack of insight and any real felt moments, it makes me question how our society is eroding into this obvious "Real World" fake unmoving robot. With all the thematic epiphanies that one enjoys seeking and later pondering on any good thought out movie, well, this had none. Too obvious and I don't understand why so many people I have talked to have really enjoyed this movie. Besides the lack of insight and any real felt moments, it makes me question how our society is eroding into this obvious "Real World" fake unmoving robot. With all the thematic epiphanies that one enjoys seeking and later pondering on any good thought out movie, well, this had none. Too obvious and also completely void of sympathy or empathy with the main characters, it left me far more angry and removed. True, there are 1 percent that hold 95 percent of the wealth currently in our country, but they are too busy currently covering up financial corporate scandals. How can I be empathetic with someone like this? A classic story but too far a divide for me to feel comfortable even considering. I can let go of my suitcase handle in a much bigger way and hope, pray, that they remove this movie from consideration of best film. What? Because all these worthless remakes and garbage like Knocked Up comes out and this movie has a life message it's supposed to be good? Current? For whom? Why don't we show we this to all the General Motor Workers? A moment for Cher in Clueless who pinned it right " I don't think so...". Expand
  17. EveG
    Feb 1, 2010
    This movie is way overrated. It was sort of fun to watch, had some clever bits of dialogue, but is in no way as good as the critics make it out to be. It is very superficial.
  18. Agnes
    Jan 3, 2010
    Critically acclaimed by the bought and paid for professional critics. Universally panned by the movie going public. Depressing and nonbelievable. The casting is awful. And the movie disintergrates in the third act. Avoid.
  19. MarkS.
    Jan 3, 2010
    A two-minute scene featuring the great J.K. Simmons is all the character depth you are going to find in this one. The rest is about as enjoyable as being cramped in coach with whiny people you cannot stand. It never even got off the ground. I was not expecting greatness from it, but I was not expecting it to be an abomination either.
  20. AllanS
    Feb 2, 2010
    An unreal plot, full of holes in its logic. I saw it with 5 other people and all agreed that apart from George Clooney's charisma it has NOTHING going for it!
  21. Aaron
    Apr 8, 2010
    WORST MOVIE EVER MADE (next to The Godfather and Angels in America) JUST horrible, depressing, stupid, George Clooney, Anna Kendrick was SOOO ANNOYING! "wah!wah!" i almost did that crying scene that Anna Kendrick did when the movie was over! RAZZIE AWARD WINNER IN MY OPIONION way overrated!
  22. MichaelJ
    Jan 31, 2010
    The casting was poorly chosen, moments that were too contrived, which ultimately ruined the film.
  23. BRaymond
    Jan 5, 2010
    Sappy. Some laughs. Too much of cute smiles, two pretty/handsome leads showing teeth, dimples, raised eyebrows, practiced, hip expressions. Too clever, by half. All story, no worthwhile plot. Got better at the end.
  24. EichenauerP.
    Feb 5, 2010
    If you haven
  25. MathMan
    Mar 17, 2010
    Has nothing that impressed me,...from the anticlimatic acting from Clooney to a storyline that never seems to go anywhere. It was all pointless.
  26. JefferyP
    Mar 6, 2010
    Overrated and overhyped. If some people trash the room when they get fired, what will they do when they get fired over the internet? Why wouldn't they just trash computer? No many laughs, either. I
  27. DavidH.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Character development?
  28. LordB
    Feb 15, 2010
    Overhyped and overrated. Ultimately a conservative, sententious piece, which is a pity as it didn't start out that way. Clooney's casting, which seemed masterful given his real life rejection of moral 'essentials' like marriage, in the end became jarringly contradictory. Imagine Charlie Sheen playing the Pope, or Amy Winehouse playing Anne Frank. The shallowist Overhyped and overrated. Ultimately a conservative, sententious piece, which is a pity as it didn't start out that way. Clooney's casting, which seemed masterful given his real life rejection of moral 'essentials' like marriage, in the end became jarringly contradictory. Imagine Charlie Sheen playing the Pope, or Amy Winehouse playing Anne Frank. The shallowist 'deep' film I've seen. Expand
  29. CarolAnn
    Dec 25, 2009
    Couldn't wait to see this highly praised movie. About 30 minutes into the film I knew I had been had. Just awful with characters that you hate, poor dialogue, and a movie that meanders nowhere. So depressing in this economy and to be released at Christmas? What were they thinking. Word of mouth will doom this terrible work.
  30. KingC.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Ho Ho Ho go see the wonderful movie about firing people for a living just in time for the holiday. Clooney plays an out of touch pathetic loser more interested in flight miles and maximizing his time than people. And then he lets his guard down and gets his just dessert. Awful!

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    It's rare for a movie to be at once so biting and so moving. If Ryan's future seems bleak, there's something exhilarating about a movie made with such clear-eyed intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The timing in the Clooney-Farmiga scenes is like splendid tennis, with each player surprising the other with shots but keeping the rally going to breathtaking duration.
  3. Up in the Air is poised to be a smash, and Clooney--slim, dark, perfectly tailored--glamorizes insincerity in a way that makes you want to go out and lie.