Up in the Air

7.4

1. RebeccaT
    Apr 18, 2010
    I loved this movie. Ryan's character is so much like myself. That's not the reason I love it, it's just a very well-put together film. =)
  2. Dec 25, 2010
    A really entertaining, good film that definitely make you wonder about the American lifestyle and how good and rewarding (or unrewarding) it actually is. With great direction, screenplay and some really good performances, "Up in the Air" manages to make one laugh as well as feel the desperation of Clooney's character. Definitely a film worth watching!
  3. Aug 27, 2010
    Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney,Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick) are breathtaking in their character roles, each carrying a sense of enigma affixed with their own goals and expectations for love and life, and as always each is compromised along the way. The relationship between Clooney and Farmiga has incredible chemistry, and Kendrick's conjunction of professionalism and idealism was handled perfectly (I smell Oscars here....) Though most of the dialogue is infused with the quick wit you can always expect from Reitman films, this movie is really one of the most devastating and heavy films of the year. It perfectly embodies the journey of middle-age angst just as 'Juno' represented the indifference of smart-ass teenagers, but like 'Juno', it may appeal more to the age group it is depicting. Expand
  4. Sep 18, 2010
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging. There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging.

There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed in an orderly and point my eye, but not random gossip on a man. This man, able to defend themselves from the threat of a nature that loves to challenge those who dream and strives to make real and concrete objects of their desire, is ready for anything. Throughout his life, sooner or later happen to face painful events. The death of a loved one, our dog, a love story ended, a financial investment bankruptcy, dismissal. Mr. Ryan is interested in layoffs. The dismissal, for the sufferer, it can cause serious, serious mental disorders. The pain caused by it, can turn into anxiety, existential closure too often, the next step and "extreme" is suicide. All these "inner beatings, mental" can be turned into disruptive forces in new psychic energy, in increasing self-esteem, desire to relive. Ryan Bingham (G. Clooney) offers his skills to those companies that have to lay off people. Travels the skies of the U.S.A. far and wide. Thousands talks "motivational" making, not to mention those covered. The plane is his first house and this house is tastefully furnished and mentally occupied with pleasure. His travels take place in a frequent flyer program of American Airlines. Its status is excellent. The goal is that at heart is to reach ten million miles. Incredible ten million miles. Many people who meet during the various movements. One of them, Alex (Vera Farmiga), fascinates him, trapping him, his travels thus become a bit 'less instrumental and a bit' more human. A relationship develops between the two. Third stage entrance. A young graduate, Natalie Keener (Anna Kendric) is supporting so vehemently, a project that allows her dismissal "from the ground" in the sense that, the unfortunate party, sitting in front of the monitor gets the sack over the internet. Ryan is forced to return home. Witnessing a demonstration and exposes all its perplexities. Miss Natalie claims that did not mind that this type of profession needs a "human linguistic semantics" and not "computerized management of human feelings." But you know, when you can save millions of dollars at the expense of the mental health ... do not think twice. Indeed, we do not think so. Ryan suggests to his boss to entrust Natalie, so will the "field" whether his theories deserve to be reviewed. Begins with Natalie unprecedented adventure, learn the rhythms and techniques of flight, initial approaches are not happy. The novel taste flyer on his body the marks they leave the informal words, without the bon-ton human relationships. The boyfriend download by SMS. I stop here to not remove the viewer the pleasure of discovery. ... The plot is nice and full bodied. Love, economic welfare, psychological and physical discomfort, maturity and youth, experience and novitiate, certainties and uncertainties, isolation and companionship, joy and sadness there is something for everyone. These themes are presented with such elegance and sobriety. Almost in a whisper. When you reach a goal achieved with sacrifice "flights" growing up. Whether this objective tell you that you have reached when you are "on" How do you feel? Ryan feels like the end of his journey? For miles routes, will add a few meters? Ulysses was a flyer, in a sense, returned to Ithaca, he finds his wife and son. Throughout his travels, he has never forgotten the ultimate goal. The return home. His house, his suffering, emotional stability. See, in conclusion, what he left. Its origins. Even Ryan there are traces of Odysseus. I think.

Welcome aboard and good trip.
  5. Sep 2, 2010
    Generally funny, and heartwarming. Up in the Air proves to be Jason Reitman's best since Juno. George Clooney is brilliant as the cut-throat businessman being grounded by his company, while his co-stars Farmiga and Kendrick are also outstanding. The story was definitely interesting and proves to be one of the best films of last year.
  6. Sep 7, 2010
    Great movie. I was really pulling for Clooney to win the Oscar but I guess Jeff Bridges finally deserved one. I was pleasantly surprised by Anna Kendrick's performance. I had no idea that anyone from Twilight could actually act but she did a great job. In a way this was a very sad but real movie.
  7. Sep 19, 2010
    One of the best new movies I've seen in a long time. It met all my expectations. With the charm and comedic sensibilities of Broadcast News, the brutal realism of Glengarry Glen Ross and the humanity of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, this movie is a must-see.
  8. Mar 16, 2012
    One of my favorite films ever, is amazing, incedible, emotive. And the better... the cast, Anna Kendrick, Vera Farmiga, George Clooney, are amazing. The story can be sad, but the film is fantastic. Up in the Air is a classic.
  9. Jul 23, 2013
    How is this movie so well liked? George Clooney and Vera Farmiga's characters are just completey unlikable and the story almost literally goes nowhere. The most interesting character was Zach Galifianakis' character who appears for less then a minute.
  10. Sep 15, 2011
    What "Up in the Air" wants us to do is not to watch in boredom equipped with popcorn, but to understand the emotion and the characters the movie has to present to us.
  11. Aug 14, 2010
    Seriously? This movie was humorous and all, but the ending was really stupid, I mean, Ryan finally finds a woman, but then it turns out that she was married w/ children?! That's just sad. I was disappointed that I spent, like, 5 dollars on this on VOD on Buckeye, and it sucked! Don't see this movie if you haven't yet...
  12. Bobo
    Apr 9, 2010
    Am I the only one who was restless (bored) by this movie? Clooney saved it-just barely-and even he was getting on my nerves.
  13. MarcB
    Jan 4, 2010
    Up In The Air should not be up for Best Picture. An exceptional performance from Clooney can't save a pretentious, overreaching and ultimately elusive screenplay on the modern condition that ends up being as cold and removed as it's protagonist(antagonist depending on how you view it.) One of the worst feelings a moviegoer can experience is the feeling of uncomfortablity and Up In The Air should not be up for Best Picture. An exceptional performance from Clooney can't save a pretentious, overreaching and ultimately elusive screenplay on the modern condition that ends up being as cold and removed as it's protagonist(antagonist depending on how you view it.) One of the worst feelings a moviegoer can experience is the feeling of uncomfortablity and uneasiness with what you're watching unfold onscreen. This movie can be likened to that. It made me feel ashamed of myself and I felt kind of cheapened afterwards. I wanted to get up and out of the theater. Not a pleasant viewing experience by any stretch of ... See Morethe imagination and apparently not by any stretch of the director's imagination, either. It ended up glorifying and at the same time vilifying what it created. I knew I was going to have problems when Mr. Clooney exchanges rapid fire, ultra hip modernist technolouge with Ms. Fermiga about all the different kinds of credit cards they have and use. It felt like foreign language too me. And this was supposed to be a scene showing off the sexy chemistry and banter between the lead male and supporting female costar. Give me a break. Basically, the movie is a generic modern romantic dramedy souped up for disguise with a "bigger" or "deeper" message about capitalism and corporate robots and alienation in the digital age etc etc that gets lost somewhere in the clouds, or, perhaps in the screenplay that dragged me kicking and screaming into its final half hour ( all the while I was praying silently for some genuine heartfelt flimmaking) to some vapid moral swamp where youre supposed to feel cosy at a film that exploits rather than empathizes with all the people whose lives have been ruined by the economy. Miraculous character turnaround aside, Clooney's performance is genuine, heartfelt and exceptional for what it's worth. No matter where this movie takes his character, I always felt he was trying to be believable. It isnt his fault, it's the screenplay. He is the best thing about this strange and unsatisfying film. But didnt you know that it's all about wholesome values like real connections with family, friends, love and smug little voice over narration? Please dont insult my feelings or intelligence Mr. Reitman. I'll let you get away with Juno because that's about a smarmy teenage girl with a heart of gold. But with Up In The Air, I dont know what's worse, that it wasnt honest with its characters, or that it wasnt honest with us, the audience? Expand
  14. ChetB
    Jan 31, 2010
    Can't believe I wasted $11.75 on this steaming pile of garbage. Clooney doesn't so much act as play himself at his most annoyingly charming. The young woman who plays his co-worker is also terrible, her performance reminiscent of a college theater production. The characters are not believable at all. The 'plot' such as it is, is boring, predictable, and childishly Can't believe I wasted $11.75 on this steaming pile of garbage. Clooney doesn't so much act as play himself at his most annoyingly charming. The young woman who plays his co-worker is also terrible, her performance reminiscent of a college theater production. The characters are not believable at all. The 'plot' such as it is, is boring, predictable, and childishly sentimental. If you found this film moving or meaningful, I feeI sorry for you. I could go on but you get the idea. Wish I had paid attention to the user reviews over the critics on this one. If you are a gullible moron who loves, Clooney, you might enjoy this film. Expand
  15. Dwight
    Jan 6, 2010
    I would like to address the comment by Jason M. What does he mean that some critics aren't bought and paid for and then says some are? Which is it? I saw this movie with 3 other couples and everyone hated it. It was depressing with awful casting. George Clooney is so overated by the liberal critics that they kiss his keester no matter what he does. If a movie about flight miles, time I would like to address the comment by Jason M. What does he mean that some critics aren't bought and paid for and then says some are? Which is it? I saw this movie with 3 other couples and everyone hated it. It was depressing with awful casting. George Clooney is so overated by the liberal critics that they kiss his keester no matter what he does. If a movie about flight miles, time management, and being needed to fire people you don't know is your cup of tea then go watch this moss growing on a rock. And for two mismatched people one handsome and the other a bow wow having an affair it was as ludicrous as the dog giving him her home address. This movie was a total contradiction to the first 2 acts and disintergrates before your very eyes. All you need do is look at the box office revenue to know that this drek is being panned by the movie going public. You have been warned. Expand
  16. AnnieG
    Jan 9, 2010
    I don't understand why so many people I have talked to have really enjoyed this movie. Besides the lack of insight and any real felt moments, it makes me question how our society is eroding into this obvious "Real World" fake unmoving robot. With all the thematic epiphanies that one enjoys seeking and later pondering on any good thought out movie, well, this had none. Too obvious and I don't understand why so many people I have talked to have really enjoyed this movie. Besides the lack of insight and any real felt moments, it makes me question how our society is eroding into this obvious "Real World" fake unmoving robot. With all the thematic epiphanies that one enjoys seeking and later pondering on any good thought out movie, well, this had none. Too obvious and also completely void of sympathy or empathy with the main characters, it left me far more angry and removed. True, there are 1 percent that hold 95 percent of the wealth currently in our country, but they are too busy currently covering up financial corporate scandals. How can I be empathetic with someone like this? A classic story but too far a divide for me to feel comfortable even considering. I can let go of my suitcase handle in a much bigger way and hope, pray, that they remove this movie from consideration of best film. What? Because all these worthless remakes and garbage like Knocked Up comes out and this movie has a life message it's supposed to be good? Current? For whom? Why don't we show we this to all the General Motor Workers? A moment for Cher in Clueless who pinned it right " I don't think so...". Expand
  17. EveG
    Feb 1, 2010
    This movie is way overrated. It was sort of fun to watch, had some clever bits of dialogue, but is in no way as good as the critics make it out to be. It is very superficial.
  18. Agnes
    Jan 3, 2010
    Critically acclaimed by the bought and paid for professional critics. Universally panned by the movie going public. Depressing and nonbelievable. The casting is awful. And the movie disintergrates in the third act. Avoid.
  19. MarkS.
    Jan 3, 2010
    A two-minute scene featuring the great J.K. Simmons is all the character depth you are going to find in this one. The rest is about as enjoyable as being cramped in coach with whiny people you cannot stand. It never even got off the ground. I was not expecting greatness from it, but I was not expecting it to be an abomination either.
  20. AllanS
    Feb 2, 2010
    An unreal plot, full of holes in its logic. I saw it with 5 other people and all agreed that apart from George Clooney's charisma it has NOTHING going for it!
  21. Aaron
    Apr 8, 2010
    WORST MOVIE EVER MADE (next to The Godfather and Angels in America) JUST horrible, depressing, stupid, George Clooney, Anna Kendrick was SOOO ANNOYING! "wah!wah!" i almost did that crying scene that Anna Kendrick did when the movie was over! RAZZIE AWARD WINNER IN MY OPIONION way overrated!
  22. MichaelJ
    Jan 31, 2010
    The casting was poorly chosen, moments that were too contrived, which ultimately ruined the film.
  23. BRaymond
    Jan 5, 2010
    Sappy. Some laughs. Too much of cute smiles, two pretty/handsome leads showing teeth, dimples, raised eyebrows, practiced, hip expressions. Too clever, by half. All story, no worthwhile plot. Got better at the end.
  24. EichenauerP.
    Feb 5, 2010
    If you haven
  25. MathMan
    Mar 17, 2010
    Has nothing that impressed me,...from the anticlimatic acting from Clooney to a storyline that never seems to go anywhere. It was all pointless.
  26. JefferyP
    Mar 6, 2010
    Overrated and overhyped. If some people trash the room when they get fired, what will they do when they get fired over the internet? Why wouldn't they just trash computer? No many laughs, either. I
  27. DavidH.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Character development?
  28. LordB
    Feb 15, 2010
    Overhyped and overrated. Ultimately a conservative, sententious piece, which is a pity as it didn't start out that way. Clooney's casting, which seemed masterful given his real life rejection of moral 'essentials' like marriage, in the end became jarringly contradictory. Imagine Charlie Sheen playing the Pope, or Amy Winehouse playing Anne Frank. The shallowist Overhyped and overrated. Ultimately a conservative, sententious piece, which is a pity as it didn't start out that way. Clooney's casting, which seemed masterful given his real life rejection of moral 'essentials' like marriage, in the end became jarringly contradictory. Imagine Charlie Sheen playing the Pope, or Amy Winehouse playing Anne Frank. The shallowist 'deep' film I've seen. Expand
  29. CarolAnn
    Dec 25, 2009
    Couldn't wait to see this highly praised movie. About 30 minutes into the film I knew I had been had. Just awful with characters that you hate, poor dialogue, and a movie that meanders nowhere. So depressing in this economy and to be released at Christmas? What were they thinking. Word of mouth will doom this terrible work.
  30. KingC.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Ho Ho Ho go see the wonderful movie about firing people for a living just in time for the holiday. Clooney plays an out of touch pathetic loser more interested in flight miles and maximizing his time than people. And then he lets his guard down and gets his just dessert. Awful!
  31. Wyatt
    Dec 25, 2009
    Terrible. I thought maybe this was going to be a satire. Unfortunately I stayed until the depressing end.
  32. Aug 27, 2011
    It was a well done movie, but I was bored in the middle of it, so I've left. I watched the other half few days later so. I don't know. It didn't keep my attention. I wouldn't say it was predictable. I thought that George and Vera's character will hook up and get married but it wasn't so. I also like Anna's character and that's all. All together, it was boring. Fans of George Clooney areIt was a well done movie, but I was bored in the middle of it, so I've left. I watched the other half few days later so. I don't know. It didn't keep my attention. I wouldn't say it was predictable. I thought that George and Vera's character will hook up and get married but it wasn't so. I also like Anna's character and that's all. All together, it was boring. Fans of George Clooney are gonna love it. Expand
  33. May 21, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies. George Clooney is an amazing actor, and should have gotten the Oscar. In fact, this movie should have gotten the Oscar over the Hurt Locker. It's such a beautiful look into what love and relationships are, without taking a side either way.
  34. Nov 15, 2012
    The best part of Up in the Air isn't the excellent performances or even the pitch-perfect script, it's how real the movie is, and that comes from Reitman's careful direction.
  35. SaraJ.
    Feb 4, 2010
    This film was entertaining - it kept me completely engaged until the end, BUT... I was so disappointed by the ending. It felt as though the film was viewed by a 'test audience' and the George Clooney character was required to suffer for disconnected lifestyle and thus became cliche. For me, it was a shame that the mid American character had to become -well... so stereotypically This film was entertaining - it kept me completely engaged until the end, BUT... I was so disappointed by the ending. It felt as though the film was viewed by a 'test audience' and the George Clooney character was required to suffer for disconnected lifestyle and thus became cliche. For me, it was a shame that the mid American character had to become -well... so stereotypically mid-American. Expand
  36. DoodleT
    Apr 6, 2010
    Film is going well until Detroit. Then it deflates into cheap propaganda. The 'existential' ending makes no sense. Nothing gained from watching this. Ryan is who we thought he was!
  37. RayB.
    Jan 1, 2010
    The critics hype is disproportional to the substance. The Users have this one pegged!
  38. BobN
    Jan 6, 2010
    Relatively few films capture the zeitgeist of an age, or even a brief moment in time. This film does. There is an existential doubt, a grim nihilism floating in the background, as well as a hope for better things present throughout this film. How many films achieve that? Hardly any. Fantastic film that has incredible depth below the surface. It reminds me of Garden State, but for grown Relatively few films capture the zeitgeist of an age, or even a brief moment in time. This film does. There is an existential doubt, a grim nihilism floating in the background, as well as a hope for better things present throughout this film. How many films achieve that? Hardly any. Fantastic film that has incredible depth below the surface. It reminds me of Garden State, but for grown ups. If the film would have worked out perfectly, or happy, then it would have sucked. The fact that things are left messy, disordered, yet still hope remains for something in the future...that alone makes this a fantastic film. I don't give a flying crap about awards, or even mentioning if the actors did an amazing job...actors get paid to act...that IS their job. The question is: does the film capture something special. Answer: Yes, this film captures much that is NOW. Expand
  39. TonyB
    Feb 8, 2010
    George Clooney, thanks to an absence of his frequent irritatingly cutesy charm, gives as good a performance as he did in "The Perfect Storm." With considerable help from Vera Farmiga and Anna Hendrik, this turns out to be one of 2009's better films.'
  40. JonM
    Mar 2, 2010
    No movie I've seen in the last year has more infuriated me than this boring, bourgeois fluff-piece about Ivy League Grinches having their poor little hearts suddenly grow three sizes and just BURST out their chests. It tells the unremittingly boring tale of a mostly despicable guy who has a despicable and confused affair with an equally confused and despicably adulterous woman, an No movie I've seen in the last year has more infuriated me than this boring, bourgeois fluff-piece about Ivy League Grinches having their poor little hearts suddenly grow three sizes and just BURST out their chests. It tells the unremittingly boring tale of a mostly despicable guy who has a despicable and confused affair with an equally confused and despicably adulterous woman, an affair rife with despicably vacuous, wannabe suave banter. In the course of carrying out his despicable job working alongside and for other despicable people firing other despicable people who just can't FATHOM how to pick up the pieces of their lives after losing out on all the sweet Grand Cherokee-filled promise of their entitled, upper middle class 60-90+k salaries. And Anna Kendrick's performance is most offensive of all. Not a shred of authentic type-A female humanity in her performance, a truly disgustingly low-quality acting performance. People who think Anna Kendrick is worth her salt IN THE LEAST in this performance HORRIFY me. I was APPALLED to see that she was nominated for a Golden Globe for this. Was nobody else moved to vomit by her ridiculously phony parody of an emotional breakdown in the airport with Clooney? Pure broadway bull. All I can imagine on this score is that aging people with ink to spill have ATROCIOUS taste in young actors. And that ridiculous hip hop concert scene with everyone dancing? Yeah, that would have already been a cheesy, condescending appeal to a younger generation back in like 1997. . .it's 2010, you freaking troglodytic wannabe pop-cultural savants. I CAN NOT BELIEVE the praise with which this tripe has been lavished. . .although I CAN imagine that the FILM CRITICS of the world would just ADORE a meditation on a soulless, promiscuously single middle aged man's anomic descent into an emotional isolation of his own creation until at last. . .he has become so estranged from his baby sister that she asks their UNCLE to walk her down the aisle instead of her big brother GEORGE CLOONEY! Can you just IMAGINE?! (who, incidentally, I deeply respect and love in almost everything. I also enjoy Jason Bateman and Danny McBride. I decided the three of them must have lost some bet to get dragged into this unmitigatedly stupid, shlocky and downright sociologically reprehensible movie whose almost boundless crappiness is keenly augmented by a soundtrack straight out of the eighth circle of hell) And for those who think this total piece of crap is somehow "uplifting" or "deeply relevant in light of recent economic blah blah blah", I rebut that the over-arching "oh, our poor down economy" theme smacks revoltingly of noblesse oblige. You know who this "down economy" has hit particularly hard? People who worked for LEHMAN BROTHERS and other types who watch tickers and used to read the Wall Street Journal before they started using it as toilet paper last year because they aren't QUITE SO RICH ANYMORE, you bunch of stupids. You get away with this as a special interest-sponsored Special Presentation on Watching Your Dollar TV on the freaking MONEY Channel. This movie can bite me. Critics of America, your response to this piece of trash means class warfare. You're on. Expand
  41. MaxL
    Dec 17, 2009
    Good acting and dialogues make up for the airy plot that's a bit bumpy once it hit the ground that's not the airports. The ending is rather nice but feels tacked on.
  42. MitchC
    Jan 13, 2010
    This is an adult movie, watching the pains and seductions of now without blinking. It's a romance, a comedy and a tragedy, on point at every moment. The concept is straight out of the existential mindset: life is absurd, and its absence of coherence and reliable meaning is a void at the edge of even the most upbeat moment. We see the stark, documentary-style suffering of people This is an adult movie, watching the pains and seductions of now without blinking. It's a romance, a comedy and a tragedy, on point at every moment. The concept is straight out of the existential mindset: life is absurd, and its absence of coherence and reliable meaning is a void at the edge of even the most upbeat moment. We see the stark, documentary-style suffering of people suddenly fired and cut loose from their moorings for no good reason, intercut with scenes of delight in the mating ritual of practiced pleasure seekers, circled by everybody's inescapable isolation and amplified by a young woman's confusion at the unspooling of values in these modern times. Contrasts: The writing is witty in the telling of somber events; penetrating observation is conveyed in the idiom of farce; an ugly business is packaged as a nimble growth industry. Clooney's acting is spotless and his luminous leading lady stays with him step for step like Ginger Rogers with Fred Astaire. The nerdy young woman who accompanies them is a full equal partner. This is sociology, philosophy and entertainment wrapped tightly together in a package you don't want to let go of. Expand
  43. kgm
    Jan 16, 2010
    Clooney does his role well, very well, in this enjoyable mature movie. It
  44. AhmedA
    Jan 18, 2010
    im a single man and a lot of the time at my job i have to break the bad news to clients about stuff that's really beyond my control. Makes me feel like the meat in the sandwich. looking at Clooney in this movie, it was like i was looking at myself.
  45. markj
    Jan 18, 2010
    "Up in the Air" is a nuanced, grown-up romantic comedy that is firmly rooted in the what-is, not the make-believe. Anyone who has spent any time in an airport lounge, dined on rubber steaks in hotel restaurants, crashed another company's pep rally party, charged a cable movie to an expense account, kept a suitcase on the living room floor and not in the closet or been downsized will "Up in the Air" is a nuanced, grown-up romantic comedy that is firmly rooted in the what-is, not the make-believe. Anyone who has spent any time in an airport lounge, dined on rubber steaks in hotel restaurants, crashed another company's pep rally party, charged a cable movie to an expense account, kept a suitcase on the living room floor and not in the closet or been downsized will get it. George Clooney gives a superb and subtle performance that is certain to be overlooked by those handing out awards. Mark J. Expand
  46. Sandy
    Jan 23, 2010
    Laugh-out-loud funny in places, good playing from the leads, gorgeous formailty in the photography, witty script, human characters, with an ending that, whilst a bit fuzzy, does not draw obvious conclusions. Some here obviously missed the point that 'traditional values' are no more preferable than 'modern life.' What matters is not marriage and family life, but Laugh-out-loud funny in places, good playing from the leads, gorgeous formailty in the photography, witty script, human characters, with an ending that, whilst a bit fuzzy, does not draw obvious conclusions. Some here obviously missed the point that 'traditional values' are no more preferable than 'modern life.' What matters is not marriage and family life, but 'only connect.' Expand
  47. JamesD
    Jan 25, 2010
    Up in the Air is a very realistic interpretation of reality. I find that George Clooney's character in this film was one for having an elegant way of life that few dare choose. I thought that the narration and the early part of the film really dragged me into the narrative. The only subtle weakness is that it does drag on a bit but I thought the messages and values that the film Up in the Air is a very realistic interpretation of reality. I find that George Clooney's character in this film was one for having an elegant way of life that few dare choose. I thought that the narration and the early part of the film really dragged me into the narrative. The only subtle weakness is that it does drag on a bit but I thought the messages and values that the film presents are quite endearing to the purpose of life. Expand
  48. Eve
    Jan 30, 2010
    What a sorry movie for our (economic) times.
  49. MarkH
    Jan 4, 2010
    An excellent movie! Witty comedy by Clooney, Anna Kendrick plays the millenial role to a T, and Vera Farmiga's sexy character propel this movie to the heights of a streamliner. I am 27 and can appreciate the late30's/early 40's middle age dilemma's and drama. Really enjoyed this movie, saw it twice and will buy the DVD.
  50. BenS.
    Jan 5, 2010
    it is utterly humorous why people dislike this movie. it falls apart in the final act? this is clearly the film's defining point - where it disregards convention and presents a more believable, un-manipulated, and impacting scenario. you want something to *happen*? oh, so like, you wanted them to hook over a montage of popular music? how about a few explosions while we're at it. it is utterly humorous why people dislike this movie. it falls apart in the final act? this is clearly the film's defining point - where it disregards convention and presents a more believable, un-manipulated, and impacting scenario. you want something to *happen*? oh, so like, you wanted them to hook over a montage of popular music? how about a few explosions while we're at it. clooney did the right thing by wanting to make a change in his life. unfortunately, what we want doesn't always come easy or instantaneously. "up in the air" acknowledges that. Expand
  51. EvinC.
    Jan 5, 2010
    Such a great dramedy! Everyone who was cast was awesome. I'm in love with Anna Kendrick, the beautiful actress is going to have such a great career in the future. Clooney, Farmiga, Bateman, and Jones were just so wonderful. Jason Reitman is his father's son. So satisfying.
  52. MrX
    Jan 8, 2010
    As someone who was in a high-stress corporate job, glued to my office blackberry, and flying around to cheesy tech conventions where I had relations with other people I kept running into at said conventions from other companies. . . . UNTIL I was laid off in a massive corporate downsizing fueled by the economic downturn. . . I can tell you all that this film nails so many different As someone who was in a high-stress corporate job, glued to my office blackberry, and flying around to cheesy tech conventions where I had relations with other people I kept running into at said conventions from other companies. . . . UNTIL I was laid off in a massive corporate downsizing fueled by the economic downturn. . . I can tell you all that this film nails so many different aspects of a very common, yet rarely dramatized, lifestyle in ways I would never have imagined. For me, personally, the film was a very cathartic and riveting affair. It was a marvelous and moving experience. . . for ME, the guy who got a small taste of absolutely everything the movie is depicts. THAT being said, I haven't recommended it to any friends whose life experience doesn't overlap those in the film. . . . as I'd imagine the events and characters could seem a bit arbitrary, self important, cold and un-engaging if you haven't seen everything on screen play out in real life in exactly the same way. If you're going into this movie expecting lots of laughs, high-energy quirk, riveting drama, a clockwork-clever plot, or all of the above . . you'll probably hate every second. I didn't like "Brite Star", but that's mainly because I don't like Romantic Era poetry. . . . if you don't have an interest in the absurd realities of corporate downsizing and blackberries'n'powerpoint culture, then don't see a movie about it. . . no matter how much you love George Clooney. Expand
  53. SusanS
    Feb 1, 2010
    this film has been billed as a comedy, it is not funny. It is a thought provoking, sad film. All the main characters are brilliantly portrayed, it is a great film and I was very sad that there were so few people watching it with me.
  54. AndrewG.
    Feb 6, 2010
    My pick for the best film of the year. Reitman's screenplay is easily this year's finest and the movie itself is the best acted of the year too.
  55. CarolP.
    Feb 8, 2010
    After reading these reviews, I'm realize that even less people have good taste then I thought. This movie had a fantastic underlying meaning and was very well-cast. The plot was very original as well, and my only complaint would be that it was weak in certain scenes (ex. the wedding scene).
  56. PaulF.
    Feb 9, 2010
    Let me begin by saying this movie was much better than expected. It had a slow average beginning which ramped up into almost a comedy and became much more heart felt and introspective by the end of the movie. The worst aspects of the movie were the terribly unconvincing crying scene of his female co-worker and the incessant advertising by the hotel, air, car companies. I really wish Let me begin by saying this movie was much better than expected. It had a slow average beginning which ramped up into almost a comedy and became much more heart felt and introspective by the end of the movie. The worst aspects of the movie were the terribly unconvincing crying scene of his female co-worker and the incessant advertising by the hotel, air, car companies. I really wish they'd stop doing this as it vastly cheapens the movie. The best parts of the movie were a couple of funny scenes and the introspective and somewhat surprise of an ending. Don't mistake this as a feel good movie. It at times almost feels that way but in the end you can feel ultimately what Clune's character felt, loneliness. Expand
  57. JamesH
    Mar 9, 2010
    What a wonderful film, great characterizations and excellent performances from everyone, especially Anna Kendrick. She was awesome. J.K. Simmons does an amazing job in a scene that is only a few minutes long.Excellent score, so well photographed. The direction is so controlled, excellent vision of the finished product and the development of the story to that point. It is funny as well as What a wonderful film, great characterizations and excellent performances from everyone, especially Anna Kendrick. She was awesome. J.K. Simmons does an amazing job in a scene that is only a few minutes long.Excellent score, so well photographed. The direction is so controlled, excellent vision of the finished product and the development of the story to that point. It is funny as well as touching, the pacing is perfect. Very memorable. Expand
  58. RyanM.
    Mar 9, 2010
    A thought provoking piece that is reflective and humorous at times. Clooney and the main characters are outstanding and have undeniable chemistry. Though the end of the film may not leave with resolve, it may leave you with loneliness and sadness.
  59. BenW.
    Dec 10, 2009
    I would have given it a ten if it hadn't just stopped right when things were at their emotional peak. Great set up, Great characters, wonderful performances, fun, sexy, and entertaining, but with no resolution or aftermath of Clooney's character's growth, it just kind of leaves you pissed off and depressed. And the worst part of it all, is that it is still once of the best I would have given it a ten if it hadn't just stopped right when things were at their emotional peak. Great set up, Great characters, wonderful performances, fun, sexy, and entertaining, but with no resolution or aftermath of Clooney's character's growth, it just kind of leaves you pissed off and depressed. And the worst part of it all, is that it is still once of the best movies I've seen in the last year. Expand
  60. CaroleG.
    Dec 27, 2009
    Easy to watch, especially because of Clooney, who's pitch perfect here,, although there's nothing genuine in the story.
  61. NealC
    Jan 10, 2010
    Great film! Stretched believability in parts, but age has shown me that what's often unbelievable can later be explained by a lack of experience. I suspect that the people who couldn't enjoy the film are uncomfortable with the subject matter and have their own disappointments and insecurities to deal with. If this movie brought that out, I say it's a job well done.
  62. ChaseM
    Jan 12, 2010
    Up In The Air was a great story. I was relieved that it did not follow a predictable story line. It's one of those movies that make you think about your own life.
  63. MikeG.
    Jan 16, 2010
    What a difficult movie to grade. Everything was done "right": the performances were magnificent (though it's Anna Kendrick, not George Clooney, who delivers the best performance), the jokes were funny, and the characters and story were propped up by an extremely strong script. The problem the movie had is that it delivered an interesting, compelling story in the first two thirds of What a difficult movie to grade. Everything was done "right": the performances were magnificent (though it's Anna Kendrick, not George Clooney, who delivers the best performance), the jokes were funny, and the characters and story were propped up by an extremely strong script. The problem the movie had is that it delivered an interesting, compelling story in the first two thirds of the movie before falling back on conventional Hollywood narrative for the last third. For a movie this well written, you can't quite call it treacle, but for a movie that was shooting for such lofty heights, it felt like a swing and a miss. There's a lot of critical love for Up in the Air, but in the end there's something missing from this package. What starts as an intriguing look into the construct of what makes for a "good" life goes off the rails and becomes nothing more than the usual moralizing about how there is a right way and a wrong way to live. Don't be fooled by what some are calling an "unconventional" ending. The movie isn't a masterpiece because the ending insists on winners and losers instead of allowing for the gray areas that were apparent throughout most of the film. Expand
  64. JohnC
    Jan 17, 2010
    This film is definitely overrated by the critics. It starts with an interesting idea and it features fairly good acting and a few nice lines. However, the plot development is neither captivating nor compelling.
  65. JaimeC
    Jan 18, 2010
    If ratings are given for smugness, then this is a clear ten. The message is that conservative/family values are right and modern life is rubbish. Go see it if you are married and want to feel good about yourself. Strangely it starts off quite well, Anna Kendrick is good, and Clooney plays himself well... only in the third act do the characters start to carry out actions entirely opposite If ratings are given for smugness, then this is a clear ten. The message is that conservative/family values are right and modern life is rubbish. Go see it if you are married and want to feel good about yourself. Strangely it starts off quite well, Anna Kendrick is good, and Clooney plays himself well... only in the third act do the characters start to carry out actions entirely opposite to their personas. When the revelation comes, which has been telegraphed throughout the movie, the reaction is not surprise, but disbelief. Expand
  66. xerxes
    Jan 19, 2010
    What a great film i hope it wins best picture or any other film besides avatar because that film was so average they act like its the best film of all times, my goodness up in the air is way better.
  67. AntonisZ.
    Jan 19, 2010
    A really wonderful film, one of the best of 2009!
  68. paulk
    Jan 2, 2010
    This is what America has turned into -- heartless, corporate types flying over the landscape collecting mileage points as they destroy peoples' lives. And then we are supposed to sympathize as they realize their own empty and lonely lives.
  69. LarsR
    Jan 2, 2010
    Near flawless movie. Clooney/Farmiga is as close to Tracey/Hepburn as one could hope for.
  70. WellieM
    Jan 2, 2010
    Although well written and acted - this is an extremely depressing view of one man's life. It makes "Michael Clayton" look like "The Hangover".
  71. MichaelH
    Jan 21, 2010
    Up in the Air probably won't win the big awards but it is very poignant and in most parts beautiful meditation on mid-corporate life and as another commenter says here loneliness. The plot is beautifully constructed, the acting generally excellent. I have two criticisms: 1) the transitions between the serious and the comical parts of the movie were sometimes a little awkward..I feel Up in the Air probably won't win the big awards but it is very poignant and in most parts beautiful meditation on mid-corporate life and as another commenter says here loneliness. The plot is beautifully constructed, the acting generally excellent. I have two criticisms: 1) the transitions between the serious and the comical parts of the movie were sometimes a little awkward..I feel Reitman could have given his actors better direction at these points. 2) The song "Up in the Air" that rolls at the very end of the credits should have been placed within the movie. The song is amazingly poignant and fits beautifully with the theme of the movie. Expand
  72. MelissaE
    Jan 2, 2010
    Very witty and wonderfully acted. Clooney never disappoints.
  73. DavidC
    Jan 22, 2010
    As mediocre as movies get. Jason Reitman's worst movie to date. Thank you for smoking is a far superior movie in every way and I don't remember much oscar buzz surrounding that. Ridiculous hype, do not believe it.
  74. JL
    Jan 22, 2010
    Somebody MUST have had a lot of critics on the payroll. I loved "Thank You For Smoking" and "Juno". But "Up In The Air" is really a take it or leave it kind of film. Fine for a DVD watch on a rainy afternoon, but nothing more. The characters are interesting and there's a little bit of conflict and revelation. But best film of the year?! Best actor?! I haven't been this surprised Somebody MUST have had a lot of critics on the payroll. I loved "Thank You For Smoking" and "Juno". But "Up In The Air" is really a take it or leave it kind of film. Fine for a DVD watch on a rainy afternoon, but nothing more. The characters are interesting and there's a little bit of conflict and revelation. But best film of the year?! Best actor?! I haven't been this surprised about the critics ravings since "Million Dollar Baby". The only excuse I can come up with is that critics and Hollywood types relate to the movie because they are always flying on planes and on the go with no time for serious relationships and/or a preferce for non-committed relationships. I simply didn't relate to the movie themes. Expand
  75. B.R
    Jan 23, 2010
    Finally an intelligent movie with a star I respect delivering an engaging story that has
  76. jackson
    Jan 24, 2010
    Turkey time as this boring film is as depressing as anything you have ever seen. You care zilch for the characters and the third act is a disaster. The ending you can see coming midway thru the movie. Terrible and way overrated.
  77. roberti
    Jan 24, 2010
    Oddly vacant, overpraised social comedy of contemporary manners.
  78. WaldoJ.
    Jan 26, 2010
    If you haven't seen the film and are wondering whether to trust the 83/100 critic rating or the 6.6/10 user rating, trust the critic rating in this case. The film is truly excellent: wonderful performances from the three leads, a great script, with biting dialogue, a stunningly relevant plot, and filled with witty and heartbreaking moments. Subtly moving, this great film is a must If you haven't seen the film and are wondering whether to trust the 83/100 critic rating or the 6.6/10 user rating, trust the critic rating in this case. The film is truly excellent: wonderful performances from the three leads, a great script, with biting dialogue, a stunningly relevant plot, and filled with witty and heartbreaking moments. Subtly moving, this great film is a must see, and is a vast improvement over director Jason Reitman's first two films, Thank You For Smoking and the overrated Juno. Expand
  79. Sausage
    Jan 27, 2010
    Its Like a polished ping pong ball...slick and light skipping along at a great bouncy pace. Once dissected however, its filled with nothing more than forgettable air!!!
  80. GrantP.
    Jan 28, 2010
    A surprising amount of people didn't like this movie. After reading these reviews, it seems like these are the kind of people that don't give a damn about the meaning behind it.
  81. BK
    Jan 31, 2010
    This movie was totally shallow and very over rated after all the hype it was a complete letdown. Why is George Clooney still in movies? He tries to hard to be cute, his acting is dull & he seems to be a Cary Grant wanna be. The so-called critics can't seem to remember a little thing called entertainment!
  82. JasonM.
    Jan 4, 2010
    I'd like to address the first user review by Agnes. First of all, critics are not "bought and paid for", whatever that even means. Some of them are, but most are truly neutral and not any more biased than the rest of us. Second, this was not universally panned by the "movie going public". I loved it and everyone I know who has seen it enjoyed it as well. I don't know what you I'd like to address the first user review by Agnes. First of all, critics are not "bought and paid for", whatever that even means. Some of them are, but most are truly neutral and not any more biased than the rest of us. Second, this was not universally panned by the "movie going public". I loved it and everyone I know who has seen it enjoyed it as well. I don't know what you saw with the casting, but I saw three of the finest performances of the year. Expand
  83. AlexK
    Jan 4, 2010
    This is a fantastic film! the acting is great. this is the kind of movie that you can watch over and over again because it has depth.
  84. CarolynM.
    Jan 4, 2010
    Great cast--expecially Clooney--but the last five minutes spoil it. I like something to *happen* in my movies.
  85. BobW
    Jan 6, 2010
    Intelligent, beautifully written, provocative,,,a treat for the adult mind.
  86. RobA
    Jan 6, 2010
    Up in the Air is a movie about loneliness. Granted, it masks itself as a film about corporate culture, the troubled economy, and following your dream. In the end though, what makes Clooney
  87. JoshuaF
    Jan 6, 2010
    Possibly the worst let down in a movie that I was looking forward to in a long time. I want my money back. Very pretentious synopsis of corporate America. I must be missing the critics view by a mile, because I'm usually in agreement. Sorry Reitman, Juno was fantastic...this is a dud!
  88. NicholasM
    Jan 6, 2010
    Absolutely incredible, one of my favorite films of the year, consistently hilarious, life affirming, and heartbreaking. Jason Reitman has crafted a film that captures our era the way Frank Capra captured his.
  89. ChristianD
    Jan 7, 2010
    A great movie with great performances by the cast. Especially Clooney. It was sad at the end, but overall I think it fits the realism of the entire movie.
  90. AdamE
    Jan 7, 2010
    The film was outstanding and a lot of the negative comments on here are outlandish. The film literally is up in the air, going over a lot of peoples heads. For those who got it, like myself, we are damn lucky.
  91. RickA
    Jan 8, 2010
    I thought it was a very good movie. It could be for the feel good ending missing it may have been lacking for some movie goers, none the less acting was very good and story line mostly good, but It was some what unique making it a "for entertainment only movie" and that is why I go the the movies any way.
  92. WayneL.
    Feb 11, 2010
    When the movie was over, I couldn't answer the question of why it was made.
  93. m1
    Feb 13, 2010
    For anyone who walked out around the 30 minute mark: you have just missed a wonderful cinematic achievement. George Clooney was TERRIFIC in the role (I don't know what performance you watched when critiquing him). How this only has a user average of 6.7 as of now is beyond me. AND yes, there WAS character development. The characters were built upon as the movie progressed. My For anyone who walked out around the 30 minute mark: you have just missed a wonderful cinematic achievement. George Clooney was TERRIFIC in the role (I don't know what performance you watched when critiquing him). How this only has a user average of 6.7 as of now is beyond me. AND yes, there WAS character development. The characters were built upon as the movie progressed. My favorite scene was toward the middle where the three stars enjoy a drink while bantering about love, and then crash a party. The end is arguably dispiriting. However, this is the best Academy Award contender since UP and a superior film to the entertaining but slightly overpraised Avatar. Expand
  94. KaseyS.
    Feb 15, 2010
    To say this is the best movie of the year is to minimize what it is and what it does. There are so many good things about this movie that it is difficult to begin a list. The actors are phenomenal. The story is told in a unique (in today's world) voice that focuses on the effects that certain events have on the characters, not the other way around. It's hysterical, To say this is the best movie of the year is to minimize what it is and what it does. There are so many good things about this movie that it is difficult to begin a list. The actors are phenomenal. The story is told in a unique (in today's world) voice that focuses on the effects that certain events have on the characters, not the other way around. It's hysterical, heartbreaking, and, for most professionals sitting in the audience, haunting. It's so frighteningly on point, that you will not shake the movie for months. Very powerful. Very good filmmaking. Expand
  95. EggyG
    Feb 15, 2010
    Perfect movie for this time of crisis. Amazingly portray in really brilliant way some of the hard issues in life. George Clooney was perfect...totally cool & charming but with depth. Great cast, music & directing. Just perfect!
  96. BrianM.
    Feb 16, 2010
    Like most movies that receive loads of critical praise, Up in the Air doesn't live up to expectations. But if you can put aside the gushing reviews and view the movie with an open mind, what you'll find is a genuinely smart and entertaining comedy that deals with a familiar theme: that life is more fulfilling when you have people that you care about to share it with.
  97. paulw
    Feb 21, 2010
    Hated this movie. Underneath all of the supposedly biting social commentary lies the very, very conventional view that everyone really should aspire to the traditional convention of marriage with kids, house with a lawn, barking dogs etc. Presents a downright vilification of those who have chosen to make other 'lifestyle choices' and purports to show how lonely, misguided and Hated this movie. Underneath all of the supposedly biting social commentary lies the very, very conventional view that everyone really should aspire to the traditional convention of marriage with kids, house with a lawn, barking dogs etc. Presents a downright vilification of those who have chosen to make other 'lifestyle choices' and purports to show how lonely, misguided and just plain wrong they are. Clooney discovers this of course when he leaves his jet-set lifestlye to go back to a sisters wedding and finds another sister on the brink of divorce and the married couple unable to put the money together for a honeymoon. The film panders to those who have made the traditional choices in life and aligns those who have chosen not to get married with characteristics of selfishness, lack of compassion and cold-heartedness. of course Clooneys job in the movie is a transient corporate suit charged with the firing of numerous workers and the destroying of their happy family dreams. Really come on - and no married people have ever fired others in the current economy? One last question - if the single life of the middle-aged man really is this vapid and desolate why is mr Clooney himself still unmarried? Expand
  98. PFinlay
    Feb 21, 2010
    A really nice film! Not trying to reinvent cinema or trying to blow up the white house, just simply telling a fantastic story and telling it well through excellent acting!
  99. A.E.
    Feb 21, 2010
    Clever film that I could easily relate to--great character development and good acting. Glad to see that "flyover" territory gets some respect.
  100. KarenG.
    Feb 2, 2010
    The most overpraised movie I've seen in ages. Cute and nicely tucked in artifice posing as something "poignant." I find it really disappointing how many people apparently were seduced by the surface-level fluff, "sexiness," and doc-style interviews with real laid-off people (the best part of the movie, by far -- but lacking an organic connection to Bingham's story) into thinking The most overpraised movie I've seen in ages. Cute and nicely tucked in artifice posing as something "poignant." I find it really disappointing how many people apparently were seduced by the surface-level fluff, "sexiness," and doc-style interviews with real laid-off people (the best part of the movie, by far -- but lacking an organic connection to Bingham's story) into thinking they were seeing something with real relevance and meaning. Whoever pegged it as a movie with a "juvenile sense of seriousness" -- I couldn't agree more! George Clooney was, well... a very good... George Clooney. And the Vera Farmiga character, while impressive for awhile, was a big disappointment in the end -- the revelation/twist was so poorly done! A convenient, unbelievable fabrication obviously contrived so that Bingham could have his big "transformative moment." Slight problem: now we suddenly we have something else thrown on our plate to muddle the story even more: a truly unlikable, deceitful, screwed-up woman, masquerading around as some kind of male fantasy creature -- but who (as if this woman could even exist in the real world) is the most messed-up character in the movie by far (and that says a lot.) And what is Bingham's big enlightenment in the end: oh, that maybe this lifestyle he was so proud of is really kind of vapid & meaningless. But I'm going to keep on with my job of firing people (oh -- but with integrity! Not distantly over the internet!) -- because my story has nothing to do with a revelation about the meaning of THAT (as opposed to the Natalie's enlightenment, which at least found some way of connecting the story in a human way to the big, depressing picture of the economy and all the tragic lay-offs.) What a disappointment. Please don't let it win an Oscar! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    It's rare for a movie to be at once so biting and so moving. If Ryan's future seems bleak, there's something exhilarating about a movie made with such clear-eyed intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The timing in the Clooney-Farmiga scenes is like splendid tennis, with each player surprising the other with shots but keeping the rally going to breathtaking duration.
  3. Up in the Air is poised to be a smash, and Clooney--slim, dark, perfectly tailored--glamorizes insincerity in a way that makes you want to go out and lie.