8.8

1. Jassie
    Jun 25, 2009
    Bambi, Snow White, Lion King, and other past Disney films had their "dark" and "heavy" elements, and me and my generation turned out rather well. Obviously, those in the minority complaining about the real life themes in UP are these NEWBIE parents who finds talking and engaging their kids whenever something piques their interest too bothersome and tedious.
  2. DavidB
    Jun 28, 2009
    @Memo T - Abortion? What are you talking about? There was no abortion reference -- it was a miscarriage, bozo! And even if there were an abortion reference -- you would give it a 5 because of that? The opening sequence was as powerful as that of Wall-E, and the story was enchanting with the usual mindblowing animation.
  3. TomS
    Jun 28, 2009
    Great movie. Not Pixar's best, but much better than Cars. Bleh! To the person who said this story touches on the topic of abortion...no it doesn't. Ellie doesn't get an abortion, they just realize she isn't "fertile" and she cannot have children. Obviously your poor score reflects your poor attention.
  4. WonderfulLizard
    Jun 28, 2009
    Great film. Yo, Memo T? That was a miscarriage. It was obvious that they were intending to have a baby and failed.
  5. AlexH.
    Jun 29, 2009
    This is an outstanding movie. I went into the movie theater not expecting much, but since it was Pixar, it had to be good. It's funny, touching, and exciting.
  6. KevinP.
    Jun 5, 2009
    More like a 9.5...Pixar once again has proven themselves to be the best filmmakers in the business. Their last two films (Ratatouille and WALL-E) were each the best movies to come out in their respective years (that sentence sounds weird, but I'm sure you get what I mean) and it looks like Up is going to continue that streak for the third consecutive year. Probably Pixar's More like a 9.5...Pixar once again has proven themselves to be the best filmmakers in the business. Their last two films (Ratatouille and WALL-E) were each the best movies to come out in their respective years (that sentence sounds weird, but I'm sure you get what I mean) and it looks like Up is going to continue that streak for the third consecutive year. Probably Pixar's funniest offering to date, along with a very heartfelt story. Pixar is one of the only companies out there not re-making old films or basing their movies off of best-selling books...major props to them! Expand
  7. RobertB
    Jun 6, 2009
    This film was much better than pixar's previous film. I could feel for the characters. The first 10 minutes were wonderful, and the best that pixar ever produced.This should easily win best animated picture and should, although unlikely, be nominated for best picture at the Oscars.
  8. JoeyM
    Jun 8, 2009
    My wife and I absolutely loved "Up," particularly the dogs. We laughed just about as much as we cried. Indeed, the first fifteen minutes or so is about the most moving bit of storytelling I've seen on the big screen in years. I'd read what happens in those first fifteen minutes and I still couldn't stop myself from tearing up. While it doesn't quite reach the heights My wife and I absolutely loved "Up," particularly the dogs. We laughed just about as much as we cried. Indeed, the first fifteen minutes or so is about the most moving bit of storytelling I've seen on the big screen in years. I'd read what happens in those first fifteen minutes and I still couldn't stop myself from tearing up. While it doesn't quite reach the heights of "Wall-E" or 'Rataouile" for me (but what can?), this will likely be my favorite movie of 2009. Must see. Expand
  9. Janus
    Jun 8, 2009
    A superb and magnificent movie. My 4yr old niece and 6yr old twin nephews were all riveted the entire time and were bouncing off the wall as we left the theater. They loved Russell, Kevin, Dug, and "grandpa" carl as they call him. As for me, well, this 26yr old couldn't stop smiling after seeing UP! A great animated film for all ages, and for once, one with good moral values that can A superb and magnificent movie. My 4yr old niece and 6yr old twin nephews were all riveted the entire time and were bouncing off the wall as we left the theater. They loved Russell, Kevin, Dug, and "grandpa" carl as they call him. As for me, well, this 26yr old couldn't stop smiling after seeing UP! A great animated film for all ages, and for once, one with good moral values that can be taught. Expand
  10. MarkA
    Jun 8, 2009
    Coming into Up I had little expectations of any emotional attachment to another one of Pixar's creations. Yet within the first 10 minutes I knew this was something special. Never before has an animated movie (or any movie) had me crying then laughing in succession. It beautifully weaves subtle, cartoonish humor with sadness and revelation. The minds at Pixar have once again broken Coming into Up I had little expectations of any emotional attachment to another one of Pixar's creations. Yet within the first 10 minutes I knew this was something special. Never before has an animated movie (or any movie) had me crying then laughing in succession. It beautifully weaves subtle, cartoonish humor with sadness and revelation. The minds at Pixar have once again broken boundaries with this film, and I highly recommend it. Expand
  11. EwanM
    Jun 9, 2009
    It was fantastic! one of the best movies i have ever seen.
  12. JeffS
    Jul 1, 2009
    Up is by far the best movie I have seen all year. It is enjoyable for the whole family. There are some genuinely moving and poignant moments for adults and plenty of laughs and goofiness for the little 'uns. This movie can be even used as a yardstick for professional movie critics: a good critic would recognize the greatness, while a pretentious windbag without any touches with the Up is by far the best movie I have seen all year. It is enjoyable for the whole family. There are some genuinely moving and poignant moments for adults and plenty of laughs and goofiness for the little 'uns. This movie can be even used as a yardstick for professional movie critics: a good critic would recognize the greatness, while a pretentious windbag without any touches with the reality would just dismiss it on their "indie" principle as yet another "corporate" money maker (such as certain reviewer from Salon.com who thumbs up "The Proposal" while trash talking "Up". The Proposal? For real?). Expand
  13. MarioW
    Jul 10, 2009
    Excellent film. Those minority who claim it's overhyped are dead wrong, and they obviously came to that conclusion because they can't see past their own noses. They wanted it to be no more than your typical superficial, bright colored, and non-sensical animation, with wall to wall pop culture references and toilet humor. Pixar doesn't stoop to that level since they actually Excellent film. Those minority who claim it's overhyped are dead wrong, and they obviously came to that conclusion because they can't see past their own noses. They wanted it to be no more than your typical superficial, bright colored, and non-sensical animation, with wall to wall pop culture references and toilet humor. Pixar doesn't stoop to that level since they actually give US audiences credit that we ARE capable of cognition. Expand
  14. GarryK
    Jul 10, 2009
    Simply put, it's not just a great animated film, but a great film overall.
  15. DwayneH
    Jul 10, 2009
    Nice to see that critics and the great majority of moviegoers see eye to eye for once. This is a great film. Those very few contrarians are ripping this simply to look cool and all high and mighty for they are not going with the masses. I'm a skeptical person myself, but this movie is a joy so long as you immerse yourself and think with it. This is NOT the usual animated or live Nice to see that critics and the great majority of moviegoers see eye to eye for once. This is a great film. Those very few contrarians are ripping this simply to look cool and all high and mighty for they are not going with the masses. I'm a skeptical person myself, but this movie is a joy so long as you immerse yourself and think with it. This is NOT the usual animated or live action film wherein you park your brain outside and the movie just spoonfeeds you everything. Expand
  16. KazemE
    Jul 12, 2009
    The best Pixar movie I've ever seen. One of the best movies I've seen in a while. A very thoughtful movie.
  17. MooNinja
    Jul 18, 2009
    Very touching, and delivers on a number of levels. While the plot does seem to waver a bit towards the end, I felt emotionally attached to the characters, and the movie upon my departure from the theater. Up is a must see, especially if you are mature enough to understand emotion.
  18. MiraiM
    Jul 18, 2009
    This film was very touching and moving. Yes, there is a bit of a drop after a spectacular introduction however,] I still found the film to be a wonderful experience. A bit rushed but still a terrific movie.
  19. JustinH
    Jul 7, 2009
    A great film. Some of you are complaining about the ferocity of the film and the very few sights of blood and stuff. GET A GRIP! Talk about nitpicking! You guys act like there have been no traumatic and dark elements in animated films prior to UP.
  20. HeatherY
    Jul 7, 2009
    I agree with the overwhelming majority of people who have seen this film. It is simply MAGNIFICENT. Of course, there will be those very few contrarians who will go to great lengths to find faults (just look at some of the posters here). Up is head and shoulders above most animated and even Live Action films, because it is NOT all visual splendor, it actually had a meaningful story with I agree with the overwhelming majority of people who have seen this film. It is simply MAGNIFICENT. Of course, there will be those very few contrarians who will go to great lengths to find faults (just look at some of the posters here). Up is head and shoulders above most animated and even Live Action films, because it is NOT all visual splendor, it actually had a meaningful story with endearing characters and a message both the young and old can take to heart. That is something that is missing in most movies nowadays. Expand
  21. MattF
    Jul 7, 2009
    A superb film from beginning to end. It starts of in a melancholy note, but it is essential because it makes Carl's absolution at the end all the more powerful. The movie ends in a happy and heartwarming note that had me and my 3 young kids giddy and bouncing off the wall with joy as we left the theater. UP is fantastic!
  22. KennyM
    Jul 7, 2009
    A+, 5 stars, perfect 10, you name it. I'm usually a contrarian who goes against what the masses love, but this movie won me over. A hilarious film with endearing characters, whose struggles are all too human that we can all relate to. A heartwarming and uplifting (no pun intended) tale of friendship, love, dreams, and aspirations.
  23. JuanG.
    Jul 8, 2009
    Very, Very, Very good movie! I don't like cartoons but this one won me over completely.
  24. nickj
    Sep 10, 2009
    The first time I saw Up I enjoyed it immensely, but nothing more. But when I saw it for the second time, the meaning of this beautiful portrait of recovering from a lost love started to sink in. Stunning visually and mentally. Bravo!
  25. IsaacS.
    Sep 25, 2009
    A movie with such pure imagination it becmes a great animated ride. Really funny and touching family movie. Pixar just keeps getting better. However, there are many things that are not for kids, remember this is a PG movie, read the movies rating before watching it, people have been giving it a bad score because of inappropriate things for minor, but it was all warned in the PG rating.
  26. Eduardo
    Sep 4, 2009
    It was one of the best films i've seen this year, and just might be the best pixars put out, it can be sad and times funny at others, its definately a brilliant fim, loved every minute of it and i recommend everybody to go out and watch UP because quite frankly its a great film.
  27. DanielH
    Mar 22, 2010
    I truly enjoyable experience. Loved almost every second of it. With both dramatic and whimsical music, the audio section has you covered. Gorgeous visuals bombard you repeatedly, (in a good way) and the humor, though slightly childish at times, is a pleasure to behold. If you didn't like Wall-E, and are tentative about seeing this movie after the slightly depressing ride that it put I truly enjoyable experience. Loved almost every second of it. With both dramatic and whimsical music, the audio section has you covered. Gorgeous visuals bombard you repeatedly, (in a good way) and the humor, though slightly childish at times, is a pleasure to behold. If you didn't like Wall-E, and are tentative about seeing this movie after the slightly depressing ride that it put you through, don't be. This movie is much ore enjoyable and heartwarming. Yet another steller movie from pixar, still waiting on them to make them a dud.... don't think it'll happen. Expand
  28. AdrianS.
    Apr 14, 2010
    The best batman movie ever made.
  29. MichaelaM
    Oct 11, 2009
    Absolutely loved it, choked during certain moment, laughing out loud the next, which is a rarity for me during a film.. Still abit choked actually, really touching storyline, very real parts of the movie which is probablly what sparked the emotions. Cannot wait to buy this one! My favourite by far!
  30. ScottS.
    Nov 12, 2009
    I rarely give any movie a 10 unless it's the best thing I've seen that year. Up was romantic, funny, imaginative, and unforgettable. I loved this movie and agree with the professional reviewer that this one will someday be compared with The Wizard of Oz. It was fantastic.
  31. luish.
    Nov 17, 2009
    This movie was awesome. It combines everything, adventure, emotion, truth, intrigue, etc. This is really a pretty movie, for me the best in its genre.
  32. JoradT
    Nov 22, 2009
    A fantastic movie in every right. Beautifully animated with stunning 3D and highly ambitious. Stunning and gripping story line, the whole movie just plays with your emotions. I'm not one to cry in films but I was crying the first time I saw it, only to find the next couple of minutes later I was back to laughing again. Wonderfully composed soundtrack and even now do I frequently hum A fantastic movie in every right. Beautifully animated with stunning 3D and highly ambitious. Stunning and gripping story line, the whole movie just plays with your emotions. I'm not one to cry in films but I was crying the first time I saw it, only to find the next couple of minutes later I was back to laughing again. Wonderfully composed soundtrack and even now do I frequently hum the main theme over and over again. Overall the film is one of the best I have ever seen and is one of the few movies that I actually went to see AGAIN in 3D. Expand
  33. jesss
    Oct 18, 2009
    Definitely a must see of the year, i just knew that i was going to love it simply because of how magical disney and pixar films always are. i enjoyed this more than most of there recent films i must say. the morals and values in the film are intriguing whilst the different relationship between the two main characters are absolutely hilarious in every way. one for the children and adults Definitely a must see of the year, i just knew that i was going to love it simply because of how magical disney and pixar films always are. i enjoyed this more than most of there recent films i must say. the morals and values in the film are intriguing whilst the different relationship between the two main characters are absolutely hilarious in every way. one for the children and adults being a adult myself without children i think that ses enough. if its the last thing you do just go and see this film. Expand
  34. TheCritic
    Dec 1, 2009
    Excellent movie. Great plot, funny characters. An all around excellent movie for the whole family to enjoy. 3-D was amazing.
  35. liser.
    Dec 12, 2009
    Never seen a Pixar movie before. In new territory, was somewhat bewildered with the sheer unparseable imagination of this movie, but utterly, completely charmed. Saw it twice. What a great experience.
  36. LynnA
    May 31, 2009
    INCREDIBLE ! If UP doesn't win a Best Picture Oscar then something is seriously wrong in tinsel town.
  37. ShamondG
    Jun 11, 2009
    Great movie. Not only did it have hilarious comedic hijinks and action, it had a wonderful message too for adults and children alike. My entire family had a blast.
  38. JoseG
    Jun 12, 2009
    Brilliant!!! Ok, it's true that UP has some issues (... that was the strongest old man I have ever seen!!!) but the story capture you, and also is quite funny. The intro (first 20 min) make me almost cry (believe, I am not like crying much), it was very touching. Maybe not as great as WALL - E, but a excellent movie too... go and watch it, no regrets!!!
  39. CollinC
    Jun 17, 2009
    A masterpiece in every respect.
  40. MisakiE
    Jun 18, 2009
    Best movie of the year!! I don't cry much, but first part of movie made me cry and tears kept coming... touching, sad, yet very sweet. Very cute and funny throughout. Excellent sense of humor and all family members can enjoy without regret. This 3D movie cost me big but it really was worth the price. I cannot wait to watch it again!!!!
  41. NathanD.
    Jun 19, 2009
    A very well animated (of course its pixar) movie with an expertly planned plot. Russell's upbeat personality mixed perfectly with Mr.Fredricksen's grumpy yet playful attitude.
  42. SeanM.
    Jun 21, 2009
    I wanted to cry not once but many times throughout the movie. This is a perfect film for the whole family.
  43. JackF.
    Jun 22, 2009
    Excellent movie. That's really all there is to say. Oh, for those minority that are ripping this film, you people are the most jaded and sorriest people walking the face of the earth.
  44. KyleC
    Jun 22, 2009
    A+ for this one. A magnificent film. Whimsical, melancholy, hilarious, and endearing. It's nice to see an animated film that gives audiences the benefit of the doubt that they are capable of something more substantial. I personally am sick of the usual shallow cotton-candy animation from other studios. keep it up Pixar, you guys are one of the few bright spots in Hollywood today.
  45. JayD
    Jun 22, 2009
    10 is not enough for this one. This is a magnificent film. Going in, I was aware of the reviews from critics and moviegoers. My colleagues and neighbors raved about this one too, so I went to check it out. I thought it was going to be overrated, but I was dead wrong. This movie is everything everyone is talking about. A superb moviegoing experience that only a great film like UP can 10 is not enough for this one. This is a magnificent film. Going in, I was aware of the reviews from critics and moviegoers. My colleagues and neighbors raved about this one too, so I went to check it out. I thought it was going to be overrated, but I was dead wrong. This movie is everything everyone is talking about. A superb moviegoing experience that only a great film like UP can provide. This will be a timeless classic that will stand the test of time, while most other animation-and live action fare-will be forgotten. Expand
  46. MayJ
    Jun 23, 2009
    A+. Hilarious and heartfelt.
  47. WilliamJ.
    Jun 25, 2009
    Early on, I thought that my 4 and 6yr old kids would be lost with the rather heavy themes, but I looked at them and I saw in their faces that they were connecting with the themes being conveyed. The ride home was fun, we laughed, talked about the great characters in the movie, and best of all, had a meaningful talk about the great lessons the movie had to offer. UP is deserving of the Early on, I thought that my 4 and 6yr old kids would be lost with the rather heavy themes, but I looked at them and I saw in their faces that they were connecting with the themes being conveyed. The ride home was fun, we laughed, talked about the great characters in the movie, and best of all, had a meaningful talk about the great lessons the movie had to offer. UP is deserving of the rave reviews and universal love it is receiving. Expand
  48. Willie
    Jun 25, 2009
    A wonderful film that will definitely stand the test of time and will ilicit the fondest memories when thought of. That is something many movies will never have. UP is amazing in every sense of the word
  49. ph
    Jun 26, 2009
    Someone below was upset that the movie dealt with abortion. I feel compelled to say that there was no abortion in this movie. Ellie had a miscarriage and couldn't have kids. As for death, a lot of animated movies have death (The Lion King and Bambi both feature gut-wrenching deaths of parents). I thought this was a wonderful movie, and made all the better for its richness of theme. Someone below was upset that the movie dealt with abortion. I feel compelled to say that there was no abortion in this movie. Ellie had a miscarriage and couldn't have kids. As for death, a lot of animated movies have death (The Lion King and Bambi both feature gut-wrenching deaths of parents). I thought this was a wonderful movie, and made all the better for its richness of theme. It is rated PG, though, so not really intended for toddlers anyway. Expand
  50. eds
    Jul 12, 2009
    An uplifting movie, no pun intended. A film for adults and children. The beginning sequence showing Carl and Ellie's life is genius, talk in 5 minutes, with no words, just music and vision. Unbelieveable. This note to reviewer Memo T..........Huh? How did you ever confuse not being able to have a baby with what you did. No wonder you voted as you did, you are confused.
  51. JorgeM
    Jul 16, 2009
    Everything in this movie fits well that just makes a masterpiece.
  52. jw
    Jul 19, 2009
    (9.5) The star of the show is character development, with the mostly unheard-from Ellie functioning beautifully as the heart of the story. The scenes with her - young and then old - in the prologue are (with the possible exception of one or two sequences in WALL-E) the best thing Pixar has ever done. It gives us the "reasons" for character traits early, as opposed to making them the (9.5) The star of the show is character development, with the mostly unheard-from Ellie functioning beautifully as the heart of the story. The scenes with her - young and then old - in the prologue are (with the possible exception of one or two sequences in WALL-E) the best thing Pixar has ever done. It gives us the "reasons" for character traits early, as opposed to making them the "lesson" at the end. And it is unique in that it doesn't overexplain the problems of the child, Russell. On suspects that his father is the man trying to tear down Carl's house, but we never really know. Pixar has wisely steered its efforts toward emotional maturity; its visual luxuries are desensitizing and oddly static as compared to the best traditional animation. Pristine color is status quo, but good storytelling is still work. Comparing this movie's beginning to its middle is strong evidence of this. Expand
  53. JeffreyB
    Aug 11, 2009
    Like others this movie left me laughing and crying. But most telling of all is when my 4 year old leaned over to me and said "He's sad and sorry daddy". Even she saw the touching side of this adventure.
  54. MarkS
    Aug 26, 2009
    Right up there with Nemo as one of the best Pixar movies!
  55. GregQ
    Aug 27, 2009
    Another great one from Pixar. Doesn't have the social commentary aspect that WALL-E has, but has an outstanding and heartfelt story.
  56. RobertoM
    Sep 24, 2009
    This film was awesome experience.
  57. BrianR.
    Dec 19, 2009
    Had a slow start, but got better and better to the end. One of the most funny movies I've seen in a while. Disney/Pixar and Steve Jobs definitely know how to make a good animated movie, and they've proved it once again.
  58. Aug 11, 2010
    This is my favorite film from Pixar, besides Monsters Inc. The story about finding an adventure to embark on and enjoy the ride is the over riding theme of this film. The quirky characters are not to be forgotten and emotional depth the film takes you as experience the joys and pitfalls of life.
  59. Aug 14, 2010
    UP is about an old man named Carl who sets out on an adventure, to fulfil his childhood sweetheartâ
  60. Aug 17, 2010
    This was the best Pixar movie I've ever seen. I loved it, even thought it was sad it had a great story. The animation was very real, Blu-Ray is the way to go with this movie as well.
  61. Aug 27, 2010
    In terms of emotional immersion, characterization, humor, and just good old-fashioned entertainment, Pixar puts all other summer fare to shame.
  62. Aug 29, 2010
    Up is a great family film,it is uplifting,funny,and and at event some parts dramatic.In my opinion it is one of the best movie to come out last year. The story is sweet and the visuals are great. These CGI graphics are outstanding,and look better than most high budget action movies. The acting is good,and each voice fits the charachters perfectly. The background score is great,and fitsUp is a great family film,it is uplifting,funny,and and at event some parts dramatic.In my opinion it is one of the best movie to come out last year. The story is sweet and the visuals are great. These CGI graphics are outstanding,and look better than most high budget action movies. The acting is good,and each voice fits the charachters perfectly. The background score is great,and fits perfectly to whats happening. This is one of Pixar's best and is a must see. Expand
  63. Oct 6, 2010
    The beginning montage is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. The movie has enough for both adults and children to enjoy. All in all a fantastic story that reminds us all the seize the day!
  64. Nov 22, 2010
    After losing his wife, Mr. Frederickson finally finds adventure as he strings a plethora of balloons to the top of his house and tries to fly himself to South America, where his wife had always wanted to go since she was young but never got the chance. But when a 9-year old obnoxious fellow swings on for the ride, Mr. Federickson has to learn to deal with him after a conflict arises onceAfter losing his wife, Mr. Frederickson finally finds adventure as he strings a plethora of balloons to the top of his house and tries to fly himself to South America, where his wife had always wanted to go since she was young but never got the chance. But when a 9-year old obnoxious fellow swings on for the ride, Mr. Federickson has to learn to deal with him after a conflict arises once landing in South America. Up is definitely a film for the entire family to feel excited about. The intial first 10 minutes are very heartwarming, but loses that warmth a little once the adventure begins, soon feeling like a shorter, much toned down adventure once it ends. Without a doubt Pixar delivers quality animation once again, but the feeling is different once the end credits, the same I saw in Cars and Monster's Inc. But definitely another masterpiece for 2009. Expand
  65. Aug 13, 2011
    By all standards, this is Pixar's most beautiful, most enjoyable, deepest and funniest movie ever. I've had a smile throughout the whole movie, and all I can say is: terrific. It was such a refreshing feature and the story line was unique at it's best and worst. I didn't know what to expect when I went to see the movie. I thought it would be just another bubblegum animation, but boy, was IBy all standards, this is Pixar's most beautiful, most enjoyable, deepest and funniest movie ever. I've had a smile throughout the whole movie, and all I can say is: terrific. It was such a refreshing feature and the story line was unique at it's best and worst. I didn't know what to expect when I went to see the movie. I thought it would be just another bubblegum animation, but boy, was I wrong. This is the most pleasant surprise I've ever experienced in my whole life. The characters are so sympathetic and the dogs are extremely funny. Pixar did it again. Expand
  66. Jul 2, 2011
    Pixar continues to amaze me with the quality of their films. They have mastered the art of film-making and could change the way you think about the world with a colour or a sound. With "Up" they take you on an journey of subtle but dark emotion and quirky humor, exploring circumstances not unlike to those we experience in our lives. The script breathes life and genuine emotion into eachPixar continues to amaze me with the quality of their films. They have mastered the art of film-making and could change the way you think about the world with a colour or a sound. With "Up" they take you on an journey of subtle but dark emotion and quirky humor, exploring circumstances not unlike to those we experience in our lives. The script breathes life and genuine emotion into each character and perfectly selected tracks are only a few of the things that makes 'Up" so brilliant. It is a perfect family film and will make you cry and laugh till the end. Expand
  67. Dec 20, 2010
    I love every part .it is my favorite movie. it is funny in every shape and form. it is so cool. something bad happens ,but it turns out ok .there are thousands of movies , but RENT this .
  68. Jun 30, 2011
    The opening seen in this is one of the few times a character death in a movie has actually saddened me. One of the most emotionally magnificent films ever crafted. The animation is incredibly vibrant, the score is rich and beautiful, and the voice acting is incredibly convincing. After hearing the story about the little girl who died after seeing this film, I only watch this film with moreThe opening seen in this is one of the few times a character death in a movie has actually saddened me. One of the most emotionally magnificent films ever crafted. The animation is incredibly vibrant, the score is rich and beautiful, and the voice acting is incredibly convincing. After hearing the story about the little girl who died after seeing this film, I only watch this film with more respect . A fantastic work of art. No wonder it was only the second animated film nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, this is amazing. Expand
  69. Nov 7, 2011
    How many movies have an old man as a lead character? Very few, and its this original approach to film making that makes Pixar so good. The characters, story, animation and design of this film are brilliantly crafted. Up is just sort of being a masterpiece, it's a great animated American movie.
  70. Jun 28, 2011
    This film, I found it very well made. It has a serious story line but great depth of character and some very funny seance. its slower pace sets it of from other animations with its dark beginning showing it to be film encompassing older generations.
  71. Apr 1, 2012
    I'm two years late to the party, but glad I arrived there anyways. I rarely get moved by a movie, but this one had me on the brink of crying more than once. The characters are likeable, the surroundings beautiful, and the story emotional. If you haven't seen it already I highly advice you to do so.
  72. Aug 12, 2011
    This one is real, incredibly powerful, full of eye-popping visuals and a complicated protagonist that is introduced in an almost perfect way with a truly flawless montage to explain his life
  73. Aug 29, 2011
    Uplifting,emotional and comedic. Mixed in perfect proportion.A treat to enjoy and ponder over.The film manages to together universal themes and in the process lead the viewer through an amazing journey complete with fantastic vistas,nail-biting tensionand if there's no one else nearby some choice words toobased on character foibles.
  74. Jan 25, 2013
    reviewers had warned me and exited me before i saw this movie, and i immediately saw it twice, and a third time with director's commentary. pixar's up is so unbelievably good that i am now turning it into a moviegoers duty to once see this movie as a sort of holy pilgrimage. why is it so epic? because it's got everything. action, beautiful set pieces and animation, and, on top of it all,reviewers had warned me and exited me before i saw this movie, and i immediately saw it twice, and a third time with director's commentary. pixar's up is so unbelievably good that i am now turning it into a moviegoers duty to once see this movie as a sort of holy pilgrimage. why is it so epic? because it's got everything. action, beautiful set pieces and animation, and, on top of it all, and at the very core, because it's a deeply philosophical movie and a great teacher, and it parallels it's joy so much with it's sadness that it creates a memorable and heave experience. what i like most about the philosophical element is that all the characters are built around a theme, and they all mean something and have something to say, which makes every one stick to my memory. every person in their lifetime has to see up before dying. Expand
  75. Nov 16, 2011
    Up is a great animated film that is among the best from Pixar. It has the most heart warming story that Pixar has ever had and the characters are great.
  76. Nov 20, 2011
    cross your heart.a promise keep all lifetime,a lifetime for a dream,that's awesome.adventure is out there,just follow you heart,work for your dream,what the **** least 150 characters long.
  77. Jun 25, 2013
    Pixar may have created some of their finest work yet in the form of Up, it really packs an emotional punch that is difficult to find these days with real actors involved, but they manage to tell a love story and have a father/son or grandfather/grandson dynamic in this film that also show wonderful visuals that outline just how far the company has come since its Toy Story days.
    With a
    With a wonderful opening montage that is almost void of any speaking, we are shown a heartbreaking story of love and loss, we are introduced to Carl, and elderly man who is the last remaining housing owner on a piece of land that is trying to be taken away to make room for some major development.
    Carl is threatened with a retirement home so makes plans to get away to Paradise Falls, a place "lost in time", he attaches thousands of balloons to his house and floats off into the sky, but with added guests.
    Russell, a young scout who accidentally tagged along, proves a welcome and hilarious friend for the ageing Carl, his witty lines but angelic charm have made him an unforgettable character in the Pixar family.
    The themes within the film are edgy but realistic in Pixar terms. A film that deals with death, hints of fatherly abandonment and getting old are indeed tough but heartfelt messages, but these have been dealt with brilliantly, the whole film is an adventure of spontaneity and self discovery, don't necessarily plan everything in front of you but perhaps live a little and go with the flow. Carl has lived his whole life wishing to take hsi joinery, but only decides to do so at 78 years old.
    The character of Russell is wonderfully voice acted by Jordan Nagai, who shows the innocence but also sponge-like nature of a child, picking up on everything that their elders do, but there for some blunt truth when necessary. The adventures these two take the viewer on will leave you wanting more and more, with hilarious and over the top antics to rival in of this studios previous efforts.
    This is without doubt one of Pixar's finest efforts, it has plenty of clever but also slapstick humour, an even mix to appeal to the audience in masses, a heartfelt and motivational story of life going on, and is certainly a visual spectacle to behold.
  78. Jan 16, 2012
    Up is timeless, emotional, heartfelt; everything in Up is in the right place its humor, heart and characters everything is just timeless and wonderful. I give this film 97%.
  79. Jun 10, 2012
    Very good and humorous film about an old old man sat in his house on his favourite chair next to his wifes who unfortunately passed away a couple of years back, until he meets a scout boy named Russell, who is wanting his last badge called the "wilderness explorer" badge. Russell and his new old best friend goes flying over the rooftops of thousands of houses to get to the place where theVery good and humorous film about an old old man sat in his house on his favourite chair next to his wifes who unfortunately passed away a couple of years back, until he meets a scout boy named Russell, who is wanting his last badge called the "wilderness explorer" badge. Russell and his new old best friend goes flying over the rooftops of thousands of houses to get to the place where the old man has promised his old wife to go, South America, to a waterfall where they could build a house they have planned since the early ages of life, can he get there with a helping hand of Russell and some friends? Personally I LOVED this film and I am surprised there is some negative reviews!! :) great movie! Expand
  80. Dec 29, 2012
    Up is as charming and funny as any adult movie, and it keeps the morality and gentle humanity of a Pixar classic. This is a cinematic masterpiece to behold for all ages, as its flaws are few and far between.
  81. Oct 20, 2012
    to be honest i thought this movie was going to suck the characters are very memorable and the storyline is amazing and 5 minutes in the movie has almost and or balling your eyes out pixar make the best cgi movie and most luckly will always make the best cgi movies this movie is touching moving funny and inspiring you serious let out every emotion possible during this movie and thats theto be honest i thought this movie was going to suck the characters are very memorable and the storyline is amazing and 5 minutes in the movie has almost and or balling your eyes out pixar make the best cgi movie and most luckly will always make the best cgi movies this movie is touching moving funny and inspiring you serious let out every emotion possible during this movie and thats the kind of movie that deserves a 10 Expand
  82. Feb 16, 2012
    Pixar rarely disappoints. Another brilliant movie. A very colourful, intriguing and moving movie that will keep you anticipated the whole time. A variety of emotions were felt in this roller coaster ride especially the flashbacks which hits you hard. Definitely worth the nomination of Best Picture. Highly recommended.
  83. Mar 23, 2012
    The most powerful animated film ever made. Truly amazing. I am NOT ashamed to admit that, for most of the movie, I had tears streaming down my face (either due to laughter or sorrow). This is an example of what ALL movies should aspire to achieve: Truth, beauty, and downright awesomeness. :D In Christ, Jesrin.
  84. Nov 23, 2013
    Possibly the most entertaining and heartwarming animated movie I have ever seen. Disney once again creates a touching story that will please children and adults alike.
  85. Jun 21, 2012
    Up was so much better then I thought. Why give it a 6 A 5 or 2 out of 10? This film was amazing so just watch it. Up 9.5/10
  86. May 23, 2012
    just face it disney pixar is THE best at animation nothing can beat them when it comes to animation Wall E: 10/10
    Ratatouille: 10/10
    The Incredibles: 10/10
    Up: 10/10
    Toy Story 1,2 and 3: 10/10 x 3
    EVERY PIXAR MOVIE: 10/10
  87. Dec 23, 2012
    Quite simply Pixar's best film to date. The emotional journey coupled with the eye-popping visuals makes for a film that deals with themes of tragedy, grief and loss encapsulated in such a sweet package - you won't be able to resist. This bravura film leaps beyond the apparent restrictions of an animated film with mature themes whilst still maintaining the innocent sentiments at heart.
  88. Jul 8, 2012
    This could arguably be Pixars greatest work, the first five minutes is without a doubt the greatest opening in cinema, getting all emotional scenes from every film in history and putting them into one beautifully told and stunning scenes. If the film had lived up to this it would undeniably be in the top 10 greatest films in history, but it turns into adventure that is so admirable. PixarThis could arguably be Pixars greatest work, the first five minutes is without a doubt the greatest opening in cinema, getting all emotional scenes from every film in history and putting them into one beautifully told and stunning scenes. If the film had lived up to this it would undeniably be in the top 10 greatest films in history, but it turns into adventure that is so admirable. Pixar again creates gorgeous visuals and a setting that is truly stunning, it Expand
  89. Nov 9, 2012
    Everyone talks about how sad this movie is, or at least about how sad the beginning is. Personally, I don't think that "sad" is the best word. It was more like...brilliant. Smooth story telling dense with emotion, irresistible humor, lovable and distinct characters, the perfect dose of peril and of course spot on animation. With this moving adventure of love, companionship and discoveringEveryone talks about how sad this movie is, or at least about how sad the beginning is. Personally, I don't think that "sad" is the best word. It was more like...brilliant. Smooth story telling dense with emotion, irresistible humor, lovable and distinct characters, the perfect dose of peril and of course spot on animation. With this moving adventure of love, companionship and discovering the real treasures in life, Pixar has managed to, once again, touch us to the core with the simplest of gestures and in the process add another sparkling gem to their vault. Expand
  90. Nov 5, 2013
    This movie is the only animated movie that made me cry. it´s story is so heartwarming it´s charchaters are grow on you. this movie you must watch or if you donýou will miss one of the most satfiying movies of all time
  91. Dec 3, 2012
    I love the message behind this movie, even though it had such sad moments it is beautiful to understand that it is ok to dream and even though things do not happen the way we first think they would, doesn't mean they wouldn't happen at all.
  92. Feb 5, 2013
    I was really excited for this because it would be the first I can root for a human protagonist (I wasn't a big fan of The Incredibles yet). Pixar upped the ante with this one as it takes the characters from a bustling city to the labyrinthine wilderness. It has the most touching opening of all the movies I've seen and things just get better as the movie progresses.
  93. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Thirst for Adventure
    UP is able to create a story that is so riveting and enthralling, you hardly pay attention to the fact that it is an animated adventure. It starts with a miniature story all in its own, of a boy and girl who fall in love and live together happily, then the woman passes away, and his second, more geriatric adventure begins.
    Hate the villains, love the heroes. That is the goal of all movies when it comes to creation of antagonists and protagonists is it not? Up manages to create characters that take form into real people. Their development adds to the peril of the movie by giving a tie to the characters. During most of the movie, a soft background music hums away, gently, hardly loud enough to notice. Without this music however, the story would be lacking a certain quaint feel. Soft and whimsical during the highs, low and menacing during the lows, this movie seems to have all the music exactly where it needs to be. In Pixar fashion, UP is a superbly animated film, unparalleled by any other “cartoons” of its time. UP is definitely in my recommended movies list. No matter how old, or young, all are welcome in this story of heroism and adventure.
  94. Mar 18, 2013
    Apart from Toy Story, this is truly Pixar's finest work to date. Not many studios can make an audience feel this much emotion for a character within the first 15 minutes of a film, but Pixar pulled it off. The rest of the film is brilliant to; it makes you laugh, it makes you cry and it keeps you immensely entertained throughout. One of my favorite films of all time.
  95. Jun 28, 2013
    A hilarious and emotional masterpiece by Pixar. Arguably one of their best films to date. The movie is full of memorable characters, witty dialogue, and excellent animation. A must see.
  96. Jun 18, 2013
    Another great Pixar movie that has characters that you can connect with. Especially Ed Asner's character, you really feel the love he had for his wife and the pain he goes through when she dies. Also the other characters including Doug the dog and Kevin the snipe make for the fun adventure.
  97. Mar 25, 2013
    Hilarious and beautifully written story of a man and a boy navigating through the world of Paradise Falls.
  98. Jun 9, 2013
    This is a Pixar movie that really took me by surprise. It really made me like more than I thought I would. The story is marvelous, the characters are very interesting and the plot is unbelievable. What really surprised me in this movie is how much this movie really has heart. I mean, all Pixar movies have heart, but this one has a lot of it. Basically because the story is about how CarlThis is a Pixar movie that really took me by surprise. It really made me like more than I thought I would. The story is marvelous, the characters are very interesting and the plot is unbelievable. What really surprised me in this movie is how much this movie really has heart. I mean, all Pixar movies have heart, but this one has a lot of it. Basically because the story is about how Carl has to deal with losing his wife. It really impacted my heart-strings in a way that no Pixar movie had done before. Plus, it has its really funny moments as well. I was afraid that this movie would have that quirky childish-like humor, but honestly it didn't. It worked really well for both kids and adults in a much different way. Even the music was made perfectly to the tone of the movie. This movie is definitely in the top 3 best Pixar movies ever made. Not only that, but it's also in my top 5 movies ever made. Overall, it's a powerful Pixar movie. Expand
  99. Apr 26, 2013
    The best 3d animation i have see! The script is very sad, but show us how the life can be simple. On that movie you remember how important is promise.
  100. Jun 2, 2013
    The best Pixar film by far. The emotional breakthrough I had at the end the kindness and chivalry from the main character I left the theatre thinking everyone in the world should be like that

1. Winsome, touching and arguably the funniest Pixar effort ever, the gorgeously rendered, high-flying adventure is a tidy 90-minute distillation of all the signature touches that came before it.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A captivating odd-couple adventure that becomes funnier and more exciting as it flies along.
  3. By all means, see Up in its 3-D incarnation: The cliff drops are vertiginous, and the scores of balloons--bunched into the shape of one giant balloon--are as pluckable as grapes.