Up

8.8

1. ChadB
    May 29, 2009
    WOW ! I once again bow at you Pixar. The entire family enjoyed it, and my kids really got something about the movie besides the laughs and gags. They talked about taking care of parents/grandparents, spending time with them, how the simple things in life can be just as fun and memorable, and the like. We'll definitely see this again this summer.
  2. BobE.
    May 29, 2009
    This movie is not only heartwarming from beginning to end, but you will be wetting your pants throughout with the hilarious jokes sprinkled in. I'll admit that I doubted Pixar when I heard about the off-the-wall plot line, but I will never doubt them again. Pixar has once again proven that they are at the front line of animation development in the modern day.
  3. JimG
    May 29, 2009
    A wonderful movie. A human story that captivates both the young and old. I like how they did not use 3D in a gimmicky way like what was in Monsters v.s. Aliens. The 3D here did not resort to throwing and pointing things at you incessantly. The 3D was utilized more to convey the scope and depth of the mountains, cliffs, and the airborne scenes, so much so it felt like you were up in the A wonderful movie. A human story that captivates both the young and old. I like how they did not use 3D in a gimmicky way like what was in Monsters v.s. Aliens. The 3D here did not resort to throwing and pointing things at you incessantly. The 3D was utilized more to convey the scope and depth of the mountains, cliffs, and the airborne scenes, so much so it felt like you were up in the air yourself. This was a movie filmed in 3D, not a 3D movie. The story is the star of the film by far, and you'll be wowed whether you see it in 2D or 3D. A magnificent addition to the Pixar library. We can all argue til we are blue about which Pixar is the best (my vote still belongs to Wall-E at this point) .But UP stands alone as Pixars most human story. Expand
  4. LynnA
    May 31, 2009
    INCREDIBLE ! If UP doesn't win a Best Picture Oscar then something is seriously wrong in tinsel town.
  5. ShamondG
    Jun 11, 2009
    Great movie. Not only did it have hilarious comedic hijinks and action, it had a wonderful message too for adults and children alike. My entire family had a blast.
  6. CollinC
    Jun 17, 2009
    A masterpiece in every respect.
  7. NathanD.
    Jun 19, 2009
    A very well animated (of course its pixar) movie with an expertly planned plot. Russell's upbeat personality mixed perfectly with Mr.Fredricksen's grumpy yet playful attitude.
  8. SeanM.
    Jun 21, 2009
    I wanted to cry not once but many times throughout the movie. This is a perfect film for the whole family.
  9. JackF.
    Jun 22, 2009
    Excellent movie. That's really all there is to say. Oh, for those minority that are ripping this film, you people are the most jaded and sorriest people walking the face of the earth.
  10. KyleC
    Jun 22, 2009
    A+ for this one. A magnificent film. Whimsical, melancholy, hilarious, and endearing. It's nice to see an animated film that gives audiences the benefit of the doubt that they are capable of something more substantial. I personally am sick of the usual shallow cotton-candy animation from other studios. keep it up Pixar, you guys are one of the few bright spots in Hollywood today.
  11. JayD
    Jun 22, 2009
    10 is not enough for this one. This is a magnificent film. Going in, I was aware of the reviews from critics and moviegoers. My colleagues and neighbors raved about this one too, so I went to check it out. I thought it was going to be overrated, but I was dead wrong. This movie is everything everyone is talking about. A superb moviegoing experience that only a great film like UP can 10 is not enough for this one. This is a magnificent film. Going in, I was aware of the reviews from critics and moviegoers. My colleagues and neighbors raved about this one too, so I went to check it out. I thought it was going to be overrated, but I was dead wrong. This movie is everything everyone is talking about. A superb moviegoing experience that only a great film like UP can provide. This will be a timeless classic that will stand the test of time, while most other animation-and live action fare-will be forgotten. Expand
  12. MayJ
    Jun 23, 2009
    A+. Hilarious and heartfelt.
  13. WilliamJ.
    Jun 25, 2009
    Early on, I thought that my 4 and 6yr old kids would be lost with the rather heavy themes, but I looked at them and I saw in their faces that they were connecting with the themes being conveyed. The ride home was fun, we laughed, talked about the great characters in the movie, and best of all, had a meaningful talk about the great lessons the movie had to offer. UP is deserving of the Early on, I thought that my 4 and 6yr old kids would be lost with the rather heavy themes, but I looked at them and I saw in their faces that they were connecting with the themes being conveyed. The ride home was fun, we laughed, talked about the great characters in the movie, and best of all, had a meaningful talk about the great lessons the movie had to offer. UP is deserving of the rave reviews and universal love it is receiving. Expand
  14. Willie
    Jun 25, 2009
    A wonderful film that will definitely stand the test of time and will ilicit the fondest memories when thought of. That is something many movies will never have. UP is amazing in every sense of the word
  15. eds
    Jul 12, 2009
    An uplifting movie, no pun intended. A film for adults and children. The beginning sequence showing Carl and Ellie's life is genius, talk in 5 minutes, with no words, just music and vision. Unbelieveable. This note to reviewer Memo T..........Huh? How did you ever confuse not being able to have a baby with what you did. No wonder you voted as you did, you are confused.
  16. JorgeM
    Jul 16, 2009
    Everything in this movie fits well that just makes a masterpiece.
  17. JeffreyB
    Aug 11, 2009
    Like others this movie left me laughing and crying. But most telling of all is when my 4 year old leaned over to me and said "He's sad and sorry daddy". Even she saw the touching side of this adventure.
  18. MarkS
    Aug 26, 2009
    Right up there with Nemo as one of the best Pixar movies!
  19. RobertoM
    Sep 24, 2009
    This film was awesome experience.
  20. Aug 11, 2010
    This is my favorite film from Pixar, besides Monsters Inc. The story about finding an adventure to embark on and enjoy the ride is the over riding theme of this film. The quirky characters are not to be forgotten and emotional depth the film takes you as experience the joys and pitfalls of life.
  21. Aug 12, 2010
    This is definitely one of Pixar's best animated features.
    The story is so lovely that one cannot but find one's eyes watering while watching the first 20 minutes of the film and getting to see two people in love living their lives. It is just so moving that one cannot resist falling in love with it immediately.
    The Academy Award winning score is definitely one of the highlights of the
    This is definitely one of Pixar's best animated features.
    The Academy Award winning score is definitely one of the highlights of the film, due to its ability to give depth to our perception of the scenes and of the film in general.

Surely, it is not Wall-E and it does not have such a "great idea" behind it as environmentalism and the future of humanity. But, in a way, it does more so: it is about the very basis of humanity - peoples ability to love beyond what is required of them and the realisation of love's importance in our lives. Maybe, after all, it is like Wall-E... or even better so, since through an ordinary person's story it can create a whole new world without having to make much effort. That's greatness.
  22. Aug 14, 2010
    UP is about an old man named Carl who sets out on an adventure, to fulfil his childhood sweetheartâ
  23. Aug 17, 2010
    This was the best Pixar movie I've ever seen. I loved it, even thought it was sad it had a great story. The animation was very real, Blu-Ray is the way to go with this movie as well.
  24. Aug 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Up was PIXAR's masterpiece. I mean this movie was absolutely perfect. The characters were hilarious and you could relate to them very well. Doug the dog was the best comic relief ever in an animated film. The plot was extremely original it's not funny. That doesn't mean the movie's not humorous though. It's freaking hilarious and it's also possibly the best movie I've ever seen. The overall movie is 11/10 and it is just - GORGEOUS!

The movie definitely proves "Adventure is out there!" Well there definitely is. Also this movie is also the first I cried while watching. The first 5 minutes and the bit where Carl is flicking through Ellie's photo album/adventure book. PIXAR has done it again and they're still yet to make a dud. Cars was the closest thing to a dud. Up is so much better than any other animated movie this year. Coraline is pretty damn close to Up and so is Mary and Max. Anyone hear heard of Harvie Krumpet? Well Mary and Max was made by the same guy. Up is the animated king of 2009.
  25. Apr 7, 2011
    I've always enjoyed Edward Asner's voice work since Freakazoid (a cartoon not many of you may know), and he does an excellent job here. A sweet tale and a fun adventure on a flying house make this another Pixar classic.
  26. Oct 6, 2010
    The beginning montage is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. The movie has enough for both adults and children to enjoy. All in all a fantastic story that reminds us all the seize the day!
  27. Aug 13, 2011
    By all standards, this is Pixar's most beautiful, most enjoyable, deepest and funniest movie ever. I've had a smile throughout the whole movie, and all I can say is: terrific. It was such a refreshing feature and the story line was unique at it's best and worst. I didn't know what to expect when I went to see the movie. I thought it would be just another bubblegum animation, but boy, was IBy all standards, this is Pixar's most beautiful, most enjoyable, deepest and funniest movie ever. I've had a smile throughout the whole movie, and all I can say is: terrific. It was such a refreshing feature and the story line was unique at it's best and worst. I didn't know what to expect when I went to see the movie. I thought it would be just another bubblegum animation, but boy, was I wrong. This is the most pleasant surprise I've ever experienced in my whole life. The characters are so sympathetic and the dogs are extremely funny. Pixar did it again. Expand
  28. Jul 2, 2011
    Pixar continues to amaze me with the quality of their films. They have mastered the art of film-making and could change the way you think about the world with a colour or a sound. With "Up" they take you on an journey of subtle but dark emotion and quirky humor, exploring circumstances not unlike to those we experience in our lives. The script breathes life and genuine emotion into eachPixar continues to amaze me with the quality of their films. They have mastered the art of film-making and could change the way you think about the world with a colour or a sound. With "Up" they take you on an journey of subtle but dark emotion and quirky humor, exploring circumstances not unlike to those we experience in our lives. The script breathes life and genuine emotion into each character and perfectly selected tracks are only a few of the things that makes 'Up" so brilliant. It is a perfect family film and will make you cry and laugh till the end. Expand
  29. Dec 20, 2010
    I love every part .it is my favorite movie. it is funny in every shape and form. it is so cool. something bad happens ,but it turns out ok .there are thousands of movies , but RENT this .
  30. Jan 24, 2011
    Pixar at it's finest, showing that an animated film doesn't have to rely only on humour but also can be quite emotional. Within the first 10 minutes of the movie you automatically feel for the main character and become emotionally involved in the film, that alone got me really impressed, Great animation backed up with great characters ( as any dog owner would agree ) , very funny moviePixar at it's finest, showing that an animated film doesn't have to rely only on humour but also can be quite emotional. Within the first 10 minutes of the movie you automatically feel for the main character and become emotionally involved in the film, that alone got me really impressed, Great animation backed up with great characters ( as any dog owner would agree ) , very funny movie that also pulls at your heart strings. A Must see.. A classic. Expand
  31. Jun 30, 2011
    The opening seen in this is one of the few times a character death in a movie has actually saddened me. One of the most emotionally magnificent films ever crafted. The animation is incredibly vibrant, the score is rich and beautiful, and the voice acting is incredibly convincing. After hearing the story about the little girl who died after seeing this film, I only watch this film with moreThe opening seen in this is one of the few times a character death in a movie has actually saddened me. One of the most emotionally magnificent films ever crafted. The animation is incredibly vibrant, the score is rich and beautiful, and the voice acting is incredibly convincing. After hearing the story about the little girl who died after seeing this film, I only watch this film with more respect . A fantastic work of art. No wonder it was only the second animated film nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, this is amazing. Expand
  32. Aug 12, 2011
    This one is real, incredibly powerful, full of eye-popping visuals and a complicated protagonist that is introduced in an almost perfect way with a truly flawless montage to explain his life
  33. Jan 25, 2013
    reviewers had warned me and exited me before i saw this movie, and i immediately saw it twice, and a third time with director's commentary. pixar's up is so unbelievably good that i am now turning it into a moviegoers duty to once see this movie as a sort of holy pilgrimage. why is it so epic? because it's got everything. action, beautiful set pieces and animation, and, on top of it all,reviewers had warned me and exited me before i saw this movie, and i immediately saw it twice, and a third time with director's commentary. pixar's up is so unbelievably good that i am now turning it into a moviegoers duty to once see this movie as a sort of holy pilgrimage. why is it so epic? because it's got everything. action, beautiful set pieces and animation, and, on top of it all, and at the very core, because it's a deeply philosophical movie and a great teacher, and it parallels it's joy so much with it's sadness that it creates a memorable and heave experience. what i like most about the philosophical element is that all the characters are built around a theme, and they all mean something and have something to say, which makes every one stick to my memory. every person in their lifetime has to see up before dying. Expand
  34. Dec 15, 2011
    Charming, emotional, hilarious, just some of the words that can be used to describe Disney/Pixar's Up. The opening of the film is the saddest thing I've ever seen in anything, and that's coming from a family film. Pixar continue to produce the best.
  35. Nov 16, 2011
    Up is a great animated film that is among the best from Pixar. It has the most heart warming story that Pixar has ever had and the characters are great.
  36. Nov 20, 2011
    cross your heart.a promise keep all lifetime,a lifetime for a dream,that's awesome.adventure is out there,just follow you heart,work for your dream,what the **** least 150 characters long.
  37. Jun 25, 2013
    Pixar may have created some of their finest work yet in the form of Up, it really packs an emotional punch that is difficult to find these days with real actors involved, but they manage to tell a love story and have a father/son or grandfather/grandson dynamic in this film that also show wonderful visuals that outline just how far the company has come since its Toy Story days.
    With a
    With a wonderful opening montage that is almost void of any speaking, we are shown a heartbreaking story of love and loss, we are introduced to Carl, and elderly man who is the last remaining housing owner on a piece of land that is trying to be taken away to make room for some major development.
    Carl is threatened with a retirement home so makes plans to get away to Paradise Falls, a place "lost in time", he attaches thousands of balloons to his house and floats off into the sky, but with added guests.
    Russell, a young scout who accidentally tagged along, proves a welcome and hilarious friend for the ageing Carl, his witty lines but angelic charm have made him an unforgettable character in the Pixar family.
    The themes within the film are edgy but realistic in Pixar terms. A film that deals with death, hints of fatherly abandonment and getting old are indeed tough but heartfelt messages, but these have been dealt with brilliantly, the whole film is an adventure of spontaneity and self discovery, don't necessarily plan everything in front of you but perhaps live a little and go with the flow. Carl has lived his whole life wishing to take hsi joinery, but only decides to do so at 78 years old.
    The character of Russell is wonderfully voice acted by Jordan Nagai, who shows the innocence but also sponge-like nature of a child, picking up on everything that their elders do, but there for some blunt truth when necessary. The adventures these two take the viewer on will leave you wanting more and more, with hilarious and over the top antics to rival in of this studios previous efforts.
    This is without doubt one of Pixar's finest efforts, it has plenty of clever but also slapstick humour, an even mix to appeal to the audience in masses, a heartfelt and motivational story of life going on, and is certainly a visual spectacle to behold.
  38. Jan 16, 2012
    Up is timeless, emotional, heartfelt; everything in Up is in the right place its humor, heart and characters everything is just timeless and wonderful. I give this film 97%.
  39. Jun 10, 2012
    Very good and humorous film about an old old man sat in his house on his favourite chair next to his wifes who unfortunately passed away a couple of years back, until he meets a scout boy named Russell, who is wanting his last badge called the "wilderness explorer" badge. Russell and his new old best friend goes flying over the rooftops of thousands of houses to get to the place where theVery good and humorous film about an old old man sat in his house on his favourite chair next to his wifes who unfortunately passed away a couple of years back, until he meets a scout boy named Russell, who is wanting his last badge called the "wilderness explorer" badge. Russell and his new old best friend goes flying over the rooftops of thousands of houses to get to the place where the old man has promised his old wife to go, South America, to a waterfall where they could build a house they have planned since the early ages of life, can he get there with a helping hand of Russell and some friends? Personally I LOVED this film and I am surprised there is some negative reviews!! :) great movie! Expand
  40. Dec 29, 2012
    Up is as charming and funny as any adult movie, and it keeps the morality and gentle humanity of a Pixar classic. This is a cinematic masterpiece to behold for all ages, as its flaws are few and far between.
  41. Oct 20, 2012
    to be honest i thought this movie was going to suck the characters are very memorable and the storyline is amazing and 5 minutes in the movie has almost and or balling your eyes out pixar make the best cgi movie and most luckly will always make the best cgi movies this movie is touching moving funny and inspiring you serious let out every emotion possible during this movie and thats theto be honest i thought this movie was going to suck the characters are very memorable and the storyline is amazing and 5 minutes in the movie has almost and or balling your eyes out pixar make the best cgi movie and most luckly will always make the best cgi movies this movie is touching moving funny and inspiring you serious let out every emotion possible during this movie and thats the kind of movie that deserves a 10 Expand
  42. Mar 23, 2012
    The most powerful animated film ever made. Truly amazing. I am NOT ashamed to admit that, for most of the movie, I had tears streaming down my face (either due to laughter or sorrow). This is an example of what ALL movies should aspire to achieve: Truth, beauty, and downright awesomeness. :D In Christ, Jesrin.
  43. Nov 23, 2013
    Possibly the most entertaining and heartwarming animated movie I have ever seen. Disney once again creates a touching story that will please children and adults alike.
  44. May 23, 2012
    just face it disney pixar is THE best at animation nothing can beat them when it comes to animation Wall E: 10/10
    Ratatouille: 10/10
    The Incredibles: 10/10
    Up: 10/10
    Toy Story 1,2 and 3: 10/10 x 3
    EVERY PIXAR MOVIE: 10/10
  45. Dec 23, 2012
    Quite simply Pixar's best film to date. The emotional journey coupled with the eye-popping visuals makes for a film that deals with themes of tragedy, grief and loss encapsulated in such a sweet package - you won't be able to resist. This bravura film leaps beyond the apparent restrictions of an animated film with mature themes whilst still maintaining the innocent sentiments at heart.
  46. Jul 8, 2012
    This could arguably be Pixars greatest work, the first five minutes is without a doubt the greatest opening in cinema, getting all emotional scenes from every film in history and putting them into one beautifully told and stunning scenes. If the film had lived up to this it would undeniably be in the top 10 greatest films in history, but it turns into adventure that is so admirable. PixarThis could arguably be Pixars greatest work, the first five minutes is without a doubt the greatest opening in cinema, getting all emotional scenes from every film in history and putting them into one beautifully told and stunning scenes. If the film had lived up to this it would undeniably be in the top 10 greatest films in history, but it turns into adventure that is so admirable. Pixar again creates gorgeous visuals and a setting that is truly stunning, it Expand
  47. Nov 17, 2012
    Tells one of the greatest love stories in cinematic history in a brisk eight minutes. That, as is the film itself, is a wonderful, awe aspiring work of genius.
  48. Nov 5, 2013
    This movie is the only animated movie that made me cry. it´s story is so heartwarming it´s charchaters are grow on you. this movie you must watch or if you donýou will miss one of the most satfiying movies of all time
  49. Dec 3, 2012
    I love the message behind this movie, even though it had such sad moments it is beautiful to understand that it is ok to dream and even though things do not happen the way we first think they would, doesn't mean they wouldn't happen at all.
  50. Feb 5, 2013
    I was really excited for this because it would be the first I can root for a human protagonist (I wasn't a big fan of The Incredibles yet). Pixar upped the ante with this one as it takes the characters from a bustling city to the labyrinthine wilderness. It has the most touching opening of all the movies I've seen and things just get better as the movie progresses.
  51. Mar 18, 2013
    Apart from Toy Story, this is truly Pixar's finest work to date. Not many studios can make an audience feel this much emotion for a character within the first 15 minutes of a film, but Pixar pulled it off. The rest of the film is brilliant to; it makes you laugh, it makes you cry and it keeps you immensely entertained throughout. One of my favorite films of all time.
  52. Jun 9, 2013
    This is a Pixar movie that really took me by surprise. It really made me like more than I thought I would. The story is marvelous, the characters are very interesting and the plot is unbelievable. What really surprised me in this movie is how much this movie really has heart. I mean, all Pixar movies have heart, but this one has a lot of it. Basically because the story is about how CarlThis is a Pixar movie that really took me by surprise. It really made me like more than I thought I would. The story is marvelous, the characters are very interesting and the plot is unbelievable. What really surprised me in this movie is how much this movie really has heart. I mean, all Pixar movies have heart, but this one has a lot of it. Basically because the story is about how Carl has to deal with losing his wife. It really impacted my heart-strings in a way that no Pixar movie had done before. Plus, it has its really funny moments as well. I was afraid that this movie would have that quirky childish-like humor, but honestly it didn't. It worked really well for both kids and adults in a much different way. Even the music was made perfectly to the tone of the movie. This movie is definitely in the top 3 best Pixar movies ever made. Not only that, but it's also in my top 5 movies ever made. Overall, it's a powerful Pixar movie. Expand
  53. Apr 26, 2013
    The best 3d animation i have see! The script is very sad, but show us how the life can be simple. On that movie you remember how important is promise.
  54. Apr 4, 2014
    I like this movie very much.It has all the thing to make a movie good.I like background music at the starting very much.UP! has me feel Up.IF you are tired of watching drama watch this movie you will not get tired
  55. Jul 4, 2013
    "Up" is charming, heartwarming, and a clever movie that proves that there are always good films out there, even animated. "Up" deals with the strong relationships that we all deal through in life when someone dies, and even though we've dealt with movies like this before, "Up" has human-like emotions, that it exceeds several of other love stories produced. Up's characters are wonderful"Up" is charming, heartwarming, and a clever movie that proves that there are always good films out there, even animated. "Up" deals with the strong relationships that we all deal through in life when someone dies, and even though we've dealt with movies like this before, "Up" has human-like emotions, that it exceeds several of other love stories produced. Up's characters are wonderful Carl Fredrickson is an old man who is cranky after his wife's death, but yes, he is likable as his story is so tragic. Russel is the annoying kid, but he deals with the fact that his parent's don't pay attention to him, and... it is emotional. "Up"'s plotline in impeccably told, and deals with the beauty of our world love. After watching "Up", it makes you realize our world and our people, and how we are all connected to others by love and this is beautiful to realize in times like these. Expand
  56. Aug 18, 2013
    Before watching this movie, I had little expectations for something little more than a cliché child's film, I discovered something more. A beautifully animated and written classic. It could possibly have the most emotional 4 minutes of a movie I have ever seen as well as heart gripping soundtrack. The comedy was heartwarming as well as the connection between Carl and Russel. Story tellingBefore watching this movie, I had little expectations for something little more than a cliché child's film, I discovered something more. A beautifully animated and written classic. It could possibly have the most emotional 4 minutes of a movie I have ever seen as well as heart gripping soundtrack. The comedy was heartwarming as well as the connection between Carl and Russel. Story telling at it's finest. Expand
  57. Mar 14, 2014
    people say old people are just mean when you up it tells you old people have a big heart also pixar has a way to creative better films . i always love the old guy in this movie
  58. Jun 29, 2014
    There will be always somebody who doesn't like this film but what that person can't deny, is that "Up" is beautifully animated, incredibly well written, amazingly voiced (for every country), undeniably laugh-a-minute gags and another Pixar hit.
  59. Jul 20, 2014
    Para mi, la mejor película de animación hasta el momento, ya se que para muchos Toy Story es mejor, pero esta posee un gran guión, combina la risa con las lágrimas a la perfección, es simplemente una obra maestra.
  60. Aug 13, 2015
    Up is another original triumph for Pixar. This movie is up there with Toy Story and Monsters Inc. as one of the best Pixar movies I've seen. The animation is like no other film and the casting for the voices is spot on and there really aren't any A-List stars providing voices for this movie which is impressive as well. This film seems kind of ridiculous at times but it is fun and veryUp is another original triumph for Pixar. This movie is up there with Toy Story and Monsters Inc. as one of the best Pixar movies I've seen. The animation is like no other film and the casting for the voices is spot on and there really aren't any A-List stars providing voices for this movie which is impressive as well. This film seems kind of ridiculous at times but it is fun and very thoughtful. The characters are essentially perfect and very well developed so I really cared for these fictional characters. Up is also one of the funniest children's films that I have ever watched. Expand
  61. Sep 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Um filme perfeito. Com certeza um dos melhores da Pixar,se não o melhor. Mostra um velhinho que não quer desgrudar de sua casa por nada,e ainda vive o filme inteiro com o desejo de morar no Paraíso das Cachoeiras. O filme mostra superação e desbravamento. Palmas. Expand
  62. Oct 13, 2014
    Touching, hilarious, and really funny, not to mention that the opening part is so sad and heart-warming. This is a film that you need to see. It tells a great love story, has memorable characters, and is nothing but a great adventure.
  63. Oct 19, 2014
    Up is a comedy adventure about 78-year-old balloon salesman Carl Fredricksen, who finally fulfills his lifelong dream of a great adventure when he ties thousands of balloons to his house and flies away to the wilds of South America. But he discovers all too late that his biggest nightmare has stowed away on the trip: an overly optimistic 9-year-old Wilderness Explorer named Russell.
  64. Jan 14, 2015
    Up is a film that touches your heart emotionally with its great animation, touching story and loveable characters. A must watch for anyone, even the people who don't like animation need to experience this movie.
  65. Mar 12, 2015
    Pixar always makes the best movies that touch us, such as Toy Story, Cars, Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles. This movie made me cry and laugh. Every great movie gives you both. Another outstanding story made by Pixar, about always going for your dreams, the limits are endless for adventure.
  66. Nov 6, 2015
    A beautiful movie with an unexpectedly depressing start - the whole concept of growing old and losing someone is something that kids movies don't tackle. Whether you're an adult/kid that has faced loss or not, the journey of these 2 characters will make you cry and have your heart warmed at the same time.
  67. Jun 25, 2015
    A beloved tear-shedding masterpiece, Disney's ever faithful Pixar makes its finest film yet since the Lion King, in a story about promises and a spirit for adventure.

Artistic and colorful as well as powerful in entertainment, this beloved gem chronicles the story of a grumpy depressed old man named Carl Fredericson who is still determined to fulfill his late wife's promise to travel to the mystic Paradise Falls a land lost in time, on their house carried by thousands of balloons. With a young boy scout accidentally tailing behind, a dog that can talk, and a giant exotic bird named Kevin joining on his quest, tCarl embarks on a soul searching journey that will change his life for ever and bring a new meaning into his life.

A heartwarming family story, of friendship and the great wilderness its a perfect movie about elderly adventure that is as tearful as "The Straight Story", theres drama, laughs and tears this film is a magnificent movie that must be seen by the whole family.

A great triumph for Pixar Animation
  68. Apr 6, 2015
    2nd best Pixar film ever. the charters are great the animation is great the story is decent but still really good. and if you know this movie the 1st 15 so minutes of this film are amazing.
  69. Apr 24, 2015
    "Up" is a wonderful film, with characters who are as believable as any characters can be who spend much of their time floating above the rain forests of Venezuela. They have tempers, problems and obsessions. They are cute and goofy, but they aren't cute in the treacly way of little cartoon animals. They're cute in the human way of the animation master Hayao Miyazaki. Two of the three"Up" is a wonderful film, with characters who are as believable as any characters can be who spend much of their time floating above the rain forests of Venezuela. They have tempers, problems and obsessions. They are cute and goofy, but they aren't cute in the treacly way of little cartoon animals. They're cute in the human way of the animation master Hayao Miyazaki. Two of the three central characters are cranky old men, which is a wonder in this youth-obsessed era. "Up" doesn't think all heroes must be young or sweet, although the third important character is a nervy kid.

This is another masterwork from Pixar, which is leading the charge in modern animation. The movie was directed by Pete Docter, who also directed "Monsters, Inc.," wrote "Toy Story" and was a co-writer on "WALL-E" before leaving to devote full time to this project. So Docter's one of the leading artists of this latest renaissance of animation.

The movie will be shown in 3-D in some theaters, about which I will say nothing, except to advise you to save the extra money and see it in 2-D. One of the film's qualities that is likely to be diminished by 3-D is its subtle and beautiful color palette. "Up," like "Finding Nemo," "Toy Story," "Shrek" and "The Lion King," uses colors in a way particularly suited to its content.

"Up" tells a story as tickling to the imagination as the magical animated films of my childhood, when I naively thought that because their colors were brighter, their character outlines more defined and their plots simpler, they were actually more realistic than regular films.

With vast inside spaces, the airship is outfitted like a great ocean liner from the golden age, with a stately dining room, long corridors, a display space rivaling the Natural History Museum and an attic spacious enough to harbor fighter planes. Muntz, who must be a centenarian by now, is hale, hearty and mean, his solitary life shared only by robotic dogs.

The adventures on the jungle plateau are satisfying in a Mummy/Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones sort of way. But they aren't the whole point of the film. This isn't a movie like "Monsters vs. Aliens," which is mostly just frenetic action. There are stakes here, and personalities involved, and two old men battling for meaning in their lives. And a kid who, for once, isn't smarter than all the adults. And a loyal dog. And an animal sidekick. And always that house and those balloons.
  70. Mar 6, 2016
    Pixar makes it either 9½ out of 10 or 10 for 10 with “Up,” a captivating odd-couple adventure that becomes funnier and more exciting as it flies along. Tale of an unlikely journey to uncharted geographic and emotional territory by an old codger and a young explorer could easily have been cloying, but instead proves disarming in its deep reserves of narrative imagination and surprise, asPixar makes it either 9½ out of 10 or 10 for 10 with “Up,” a captivating odd-couple adventure that becomes funnier and more exciting as it flies along. Tale of an unlikely journey to uncharted geographic and emotional territory by an old codger and a young explorer could easily have been cloying, but instead proves disarming in its deep reserves of narrative imagination and surprise, as well as its poignant thematic balance of dreams deferred and dreams fulfilled. Lack of overtly fantastical elements might endow “Up” with a somewhat lower initial must-see factor than some summer releases. But like all of Pixar’s features, this one will enjoy a rewardingly long ride in all venues and formats. Pete Docter’s picture has the privilege of being the first animated film to open the Cannes Film Festival, on May 13.

The two leading men are 78 and 8 years old, and the age range of those who will appreciate the picture is even a bit wider than that. Like previous classic films about escape from the mundane, from “The Wizard of Oz” to “Wall-E” and many in between, “Up” is universal in its appeal. At the same time, it may be the most subtle Pixar production to date in its use of color schemes, shapes, proportions, scale, contrast and balance, factors highlighted by the application of 3-D, which will be available at many initial engagements.

The ghost of Chaplin hovered over “Wall-E,” and although “Up” is a more talkative film, it also delves back into earlier eras for inspiration. The first thing on view is a mock ’30s-style black-and-white Movietone newsreel documenting the exploits of maverick explorer Charles Muntz, who heads back to South America to redeem himself after a giant bird skeleton he presents in the U.S. is denounced as a fraud.

Not long after comes an exquisite interlude that, in less than five minutes, encapsulates the life-long love affair between Carl Fredericksen and his wife Ellie in a manner worthy of even the most poetic of silent-film directors. The two were brought together by their mutual enthusiasm for Muntz, and it remained Ellie’s lifelong dream to emulate the adventurer and travel to Paradise Falls in South America.

But life has other plans, and Ellie must settle for a happy life with balloon-seller Carl (voiced by Ed Asner). When she dies, she leaves behind a scrapbook as well as a very grumpy widower, who retreats into self-enforced exile. With heavy-rimmed black glasses, thick white hair and eyebrows, bulbous nose, square jaw and a scrunched body that looks like it’s been through a compactor, old Carl resembles a cross between Spencer Tracy and Walter Matthau at the ends of their careers. He wants no company, content to live out his days in the house he shared with Ellie, which becomes surrounded by giant construction projects.

Finally faced with eviction, Carl concocts a plan. In a surprising and brilliantly visual sequence, thousands of colored balloons hatch from behind the house, prying it from its foundation and carrying it skyward; Carl intends to fly it to South America, fulfilling Ellie’s dream.

However, he’s got an unplanned passenger in the form of Russell (Jordan Nagai), a roly-poly, eager-beaver Junior Wilderness Explorer who’s previously tried to enlist the old goat’s help to win him a badge. The trip goes uneventfully — no time wasted on navigational challenges — the better to quickly achieve the destination. The arrival is stunningly portrayed, with thick fog clearing to reveal bizarre rock formations atop a mesa adjacent to the falls (designs were inspired by Angel Falls, the world’s highest, and the actual tepui mountains around the juncture of Venezuela, Brazil and Guyana — the location of Arthur Conan Doyle’s “The Lost World”). Carl and Russell quickly come upon the very sort of rare bird Muntz went back to find decades before, a brilliantly plumed, gawky 13-footer they name Kevin.

Kevin’s antics throughout are so humorous and beautifully animated they would be at home in a “Looney Tunes” highlights reel, as would a breed of attack dogs commanded by Muntz himself (Christopher Plummer), who sends the canines in search of the elusive bird.

At just 89 minutes, “Up” is unusually short for a Pixar film, and the action climax comes on rapidly. One setpiece features the two old-timers, Carl and the swashbuckling Muntz, going mano a mano aboard the latter’s spectacular, zeppelin-like flying ship, and numerous vertigo-producing shots show characters clinging for dear life.

Unsurprisingly, no one puts a foot wrong here. Vocal performances, most importantly from Asner, Plummer and nonpro Nagai, exude a warm enthusiasm, and tech specifications could not be better. Michael Giacchino’s full-bodied, traditional score is superlative, developing beautiful themes as it sweeps the action along on emotional waves.
  71. Jul 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Up truly embodies the spirit of Pixar, or rather the spirit of adventure. What life throws at us is not always expected, and only through the charming characters of Carl and Russell do we truly see what it means to to go on an adventure. There's something ethereal and magical about Up, and even if animation isn't someone's cup of tea, this movie should be.

"Paradise Falls, a land lost in time." Carl and Ellie have always wanted to visit Paradise Falls but just never got the chance. As we see through an enchanting and heartbreaking montage, it's up to Carl to fulfill this dream on his own. Or with some unexpected companions. The intricate details and complex storylines lead us to realizations throughout, not just about childhood dreams, but about life. This movie can be taken so many different ways, and I think that's really the beauty of it.

The imagination portrayed throughout is just as if a child dreamed it up. Which they did, several yeares ago. Now, being somewhat older and wiser, it's up to Russell to carry out this role.

I've watched this movie in theaters, I've watched it in my middle school and high school classrooms. I can't even remember how many times I've seen it. But one thing I can remember is how my feelings towards it have changed. I've always loved it, but the first time I saw it I distinctly remember wincing every time the house and his belongings got hurt and wondering why he let it go at the end. But now, having grown up, it's like Carl and I have both realized the value of experiences and of people over material items. That's a lesson that takes time, and I think also a sign of a good movie. It grows as you do.

The most substantial relationship we see is that of Carl and Russell. In a way, they support each other and learn to be more caring and more wise. They even share the boring moments together. "That might sound boring, But I think the boring stuff is the stuff we remember the most." That also eases the burden on Carl's shoulder for never actually taking Ellie there to Paradise Falls. The house may almost represent the weight of that unfilled promises, and a series of events eventually lets him let go, knowing that Ellie had her own adventure, and no matter what she's always going to be there with him. Even if our childhood heroes turn out to actually be villains, a dream is important to have.
  72. Jul 13, 2015
    An absolute joy to watch. Up, although harrowing and touching, is also action packed and adventurous. One of, if not the best Pixar film to date. If you haven't seen this, you're definitely missing out.
  73. Sep 13, 2015
    One of the best Pixar movies. I can't believe the imagination of the storywriter! A flying house with thousands of balloons?!? I'd never think something like that. Fabulous.
  74. Oct 17, 2015
    Up Is Amzing Film Animation Is Good Music Is Good Dug,Russell & Kevin Is Funny Action Is Epic Pete Doctor Great Job This Film Win Best Animated Feature On Academy Awards
  75. Dec 29, 2015
    It's a true adventure made by Pixar. I love Dug so much from the movie and it'll be as exciting as you wanted it to be and it'll be an adventure in progress.
  76. May 31, 2016
    Finally Disney has done a masterpiece movie with full imagination, that is great. Carl and Russell's adventure is really fun, hilarious, dramatic and with a big dream that Mr. Fredickssen had since he met his wife. One of the best animated films of 21st century, it's a masterpiece, the audience will enjoy this so much
  77. Jan 4, 2016
    Robots, insects, monsters and cars – if it’s got fur, scales or moving parts you can bet Pixar has drawn it.

With a few exceptions, however (The Incredibles, Ratatouille’s Linguini), John Lasseter’s team has stayed away from human protagonists, a holdover maybe from the knowledge that their first attempt to render flesh and blood in CG form (Toy Story’s toy-torturer Sid) left major room for improvement.

Time and technology have both moved on, though. And with Up, Pixar’s 10th full-length feature, the company has finally come up with a homo sapiens hero as memorable and loveable as Woody, Buzz and Nemo. Meet Carl Fredricksen (Ed Asner, hitherto best known for his role as Lou Grant on Mary Tyler Moore), a 78-year-old curmudgeon who wants nothing more than to be left alone in the home he shared with his late wife Ellie. Hunched and squat, with a jaw as rigid as the frames of his clunky spectacles, he’s a cantankerous, grumpy, sour-faced grouch. Yet the film’s barely begun and he’s already stolen our hearts. How can this be?

For the answer, look no further than The Greatest Moment In Movie Animation, as revealed by Total Film last issue: an early montage that beautifully charts Carl and Ellie’s life together from playful childhood to tragic separation. A masterclass in wordless, poignant and economic storytelling, it’s Pixar’s finest achievement so far – better even than Wall•E’s Chaplin-esque pottering on that futuristic junk-heap or Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl’s flashback in Toy Story 2. And it leaves us ready to follow Carl anywhere, even if it is to a remote table-top mountain in South America he and Ellie had always planned on visiting.

Walt Disney said for every laugh there should be a tear. (He also said there should be no unions in Hollywood, but we’ll let that one slide.) Lest you assume Up is one long sob-fest, we should hasten to add that once that gut-punching salvo is over the movie settles into a more traditional groove – one that’s wacky, exhilarating and consistently funny.

With the help of thousands of multi-coloured, helium-filled balloons and some basic engineering, Carl and his house take to the skies in a magical moment of surreal wonder. Unwittingly aboard is eight-year-old Russell (Jordan Nagai), a tubby Wilderness Explorer whose determination to obtain his ‘Assisting The Elderly’ badge has led him to stake out Carl’s suddenly airborne porch.

Monsters, Inc. director Pete Docter could have easily spent the rest of his film exploring this odd-couple relationship. Instead he takes an arguably more challenging route, getting his mismatched duo to Paradise Falls in double-quick time for an earthbound adventure involving a flightless bird, a pack of talking mutts and a face from Carl’s childhood, long thought lost.

This is all terrific, if chaotic fun, the sheer lunacy of dogs with thought-verbalising collars giving rise to pricelessly absurd humour. (“You two shall have much rewardings from Master for the toil factor you wage!” chief pooch Alpha tells his subordinates in a malfunctioning voice that sounds like he’s been inhaling Carl’s helium.) Yet try as it might, the film’s second half never attains the sublime heights of the sophisticated first, despite a splendid finale involving a Hindenburg-like dirigible and a literal aerial dogfight.

Pixar has always trod a blurry line between its desire to stretch the boundaries of its medium and its need to deliver commercially viable and lucrative product. Up, with its daringly low-key beginning and a mobile-home concept reminiscent of Howl’s Moving Castle, certainly goes further in the first direction than their previous offerings. Yet, it comes at a small but significant cost: a conspicuous ramping-up of child-pleasing mayhem in the latter stages and a sentimental, almost cynically feel-good coda.

It’s as if Docter feels he needs to reward audiences for contemplating mortality, or placate infants who may have been getting a wee bit restless. Captivated and charmed as you are, you’re left wondering what marvels Pixar might one day achieve should it ever be freed from its family-friendly imperative.

Still, it’s a tad churlish to ask for more from an outfit that’s already given us so much and that, with next year’s Toy Story 3, may yet surpass its own high standards. Perhaps it’s enough that Up represents one of its most emotionally-rewarding movies, as well as the most satisfying animated feature thus far made in the 3D format.

No doubt there’ll come a time when Lasseter’s mob will disappoint; after all, what goes Up must eventually come down. But for now, let’s be like Russell and go along for the glorious ride.

A coming-of-old-age story that breaks the heart, tickles the funny bone and fires the imagination, Up is a captivating, exuberant delight. And did we mention it contains The Greatest Moment In Movie Animation? Oh.
  78. Jan 6, 2016
    A grumpy old coot, a chubby kid and a house hoisted by helium balloons — if you're thinking that Up sounds like a shortcut to sugar shock, snap out of it. Pandering to ninnies is not on the agenda for this latest landmark in Pixar animation. With Pete Docter and Bob Peterson sharing the directing and writing, Up is a breathtaking ride into the realm of pure imagination. Up shames the papA grumpy old coot, a chubby kid and a house hoisted by helium balloons — if you're thinking that Up sounds like a shortcut to sugar shock, snap out of it. Pandering to ninnies is not on the agenda for this latest landmark in Pixar animation. With Pete Docter and Bob Peterson sharing the directing and writing, Up is a breathtaking ride into the realm of pure imagination. Up shames the pap that now passes for family entertainment (yes, Night at the Museum 2, I'm talking to you).

You can feel balls-out creativity whooshing through every frame. Darkness and its cousin loss also intrude, as they do in Pixar's best films (The Incredibles, WALL-E, Finding Nemo). Up sees the world as real, full of life and pain. Some theaters are showing Up in 3-D, which dims the color a bit, but the dimensions that count are in the movie's mind and heart. The opening sequence is touched by genius. A young Depression-era boy named Carl goes to the movies and watches a newsreel about Charles Muntz (a complex portrait in voice by the great Christopher Plummer), an explorer who takes off for South America in a dirigible to track a giant bird at Paradise Falls. Quiet Carl wants to explore as well. He meets an exciting, motor-mouthed girl, Ellie, who shares his feelings. They grow up, marry and grow old without fulfilling their dreams of children or adventure. This near-silent prelude is Pixar perfection. Up achieves literal liftoff when the widowed Carl (eloquently growled by Ed Asner) takes the balloons he used to sell pre-retirement, ties them to his house and takes off for Paradise Falls. He doesn't know he has a stowaway, eight-year-old Russell (voiced by Jordan Nagai). And he doesn't know the perils of his journey will include Muntz's pack of attack dogs with electronic collars that enable them to talk.

The movie is wonderfully funny and touching (props to the gawky hero of a bird Russell names Kevin), but what's really exhilarating are the risks it takes, all set to Michael Giacchino's ardent, award-caliber score. Up may be the first animated kiddie crowd-pleaser to feature dentures and an hommage to Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo, as old man and boy drag a house and the burden of dreams through the jungle. Up works miracles. Just sit back and watch it fly.
  79. Mar 25, 2016
    Halarious emotional and even dark by some standards. Up is not afraid to make us bawl our eyes if it is happy tears or sad tears up has a brilliant voice cast and an coming of ages story that will appeal to nearly everyone. We follow an old man named Carl fredrickson who has been grumpy ever sense his wife died. One day a boy named Russel appears at his door step and through a variety ofHalarious emotional and even dark by some standards. Up is not afraid to make us bawl our eyes if it is happy tears or sad tears up has a brilliant voice cast and an coming of ages story that will appeal to nearly everyone. We follow an old man named Carl fredrickson who has been grumpy ever sense his wife died. One day a boy named Russel appears at his door step and through a variety of circumstances that will bring them closer than ever together. This movie is a sheer delight and it's no wonder why it won best picture at the academy awards. The voice actor who voices dug is a pure delight and the rest of the cast is too. Up is not only the perfect family movie one of he most perfect movies ever made. It's fun funny sad and even a little dark but underneath it's sometimes heavy narrative its a really excellent kids movie that will go down in history as a classic Expand
  80. May 6, 2016
    Up gives a familiar message, with unforgettable character,ps, inventive story-telling, breathtaking plot and music, this film shows the bad way and the best way of human, with funny and powerfully-parts that entertain the audience of any kind.
  81. HollyC
    Jun 6, 2009
    --Light Spoilers Ahead--- This is one of my most favorite Pixar films---and I seriously went into the film doubting it a bit (I know I know!) Not only was I absolutely in love w/ the short that played ahead, "Partly Cloudy" but "Up" had me weeping---(out-right weeping!) in the first 20 minutes!!! The courage to take on grief and regret & make your protagonist a grumpy old man is --Light Spoilers Ahead--- This is one of my most favorite Pixar films---and I seriously went into the film doubting it a bit (I know I know!) Not only was I absolutely in love w/ the short that played ahead, "Partly Cloudy" but "Up" had me weeping---(out-right weeping!) in the first 20 minutes!!! The courage to take on grief and regret & make your protagonist a grumpy old man is astonishing in it's own right, but then to make it a great action adventure with plenty of eye candy and laughs as well---man, Pixar is just firing on all cylinders. Bravo to Pixar once again---probably some of our greatest story-tellers working today. Expand
  82. LindaL.
    Feb 7, 2010
    I'm not a big fan of these animated darlings -- found "Nemo" OK, "Shrek" dull and "Wall-e" inane. But I really enjoyed "Up." Some quibbles with plot developments, but overall it was touching and sweet though still with a lot of grown-up appeal.
  83. Bhatts
    May 30, 2009
    breathtaking, frequently hilarious, practically life-affirming.
  84. JayH.
    Nov 5, 2009
    A brilliant film, wildly and wonderfully imaginative. The animation is amazing, the writing sublime. It is funny and touching, always fascinating, never a dull moment. Excellent in every respect.
  85. Ostaf
    Oct 8, 2009
    I cried, I laughed and I am 19....good movie.

The worst part though was that there was a little sitting in front of me and when it was over she turned to her mother and said "that movie SUCKED!" and I was still wiping a tear out of my eye while chuckling
  86. BillPhu
    Jun 2, 2009
    While I don't think that it is nearly as humourous as WALL-E or Monsters vs Aliens 3D, I think that this movie is fantastic in it's own right. The trailers seem to imply that it's another another funny movie in the vein as previous productions, but it isn't There is humour, but there's far more romanticism than in any recent animated movies. It's touching,While I don't think that it is nearly as humourous as WALL-E or Monsters vs Aliens 3D, I think that this movie is fantastic in it's own right. The trailers seem to imply that it's another another funny movie in the vein as previous productions, but it isn't There is humour, but there's far more romanticism than in any recent animated movies. It's touching, and some of the themes such as promises, loss and family may be lost on a younger (i.e. < 10) crowd, but that doesn't make this a bad movie. Expand
  87. AlexY
    Jan 1, 2010
    This movie could melt a heart of ice. Up is consistently touching and captivating, if just a bit cheesy at times, but even the cheesy bits are heartwarming. The storyline is unique, bizarre, and inspiring. This is Pixar's best film since the Incredibles.
  88. BrianV.
    Mar 11, 2010
    There should be more movies like this! though it is a movie ment for the younger audience, it is very well performed!
  89. NickV.
    Oct 15, 2009
    Well, Pixar really didn't let me down on this one. Another gem. Saw it in 3D.
  90. JonL
    May 31, 2009
    Not quite a masterpiece, but a fantastic piece of craftsmanship from the most reliable brand in the world.
  91. JoeC.
    May 30, 2009
    Another triumph for Pixar. A beautiful and romantic tale. Great characters. It was so refreshing to have a elderly hero from a modest station express so much that is wonderful about the human experience. Despite the uplifting vibe, the presence of loss and longing saved the movie from the mediocrity of typical Disney factory drivel. The movie was very funny. The 3D certainly enhanced the Another triumph for Pixar. A beautiful and romantic tale. Great characters. It was so refreshing to have a elderly hero from a modest station express so much that is wonderful about the human experience. Despite the uplifting vibe, the presence of loss and longing saved the movie from the mediocrity of typical Disney factory drivel. The movie was very funny. The 3D certainly enhanced the experience and was seldom distracting. Despite the PG rating I found it to be appropriate for my 3 year old, who did get a little bored due to the relaxed pacing of the film and a mild cold. After 3 unbelievable home runs with Ratatoille, Wall-E and now UP, I am a little disappointed that Pixar will return next year with Toy Story 3. These are some of the greatest family films made. Every new and original story is a treasure. Expand
  92. CalebH
    Jun 1, 2009
    A perfect balance of laugh out loud humor and emotional depth that creates one of the most intriguing and unforgettable stories of our time about true love and understanding when it's time to let go. In the end, you have no where to go, but Up.
  93. MiguelG
    Jun 14, 2009
    One of the best Pixar films ever conceived. Sure to be a long-standing Classic for years to come. "Up" is a stunning follow up to 2008's brilliant "Wall-E." It brings to life characters in ways that only Pixar can. These characters are all well drawn out and believeable, and the plot is absolutely amazing in its ability to infuse comedy with tragedy. While I can admit that there are One of the best Pixar films ever conceived. Sure to be a long-standing Classic for years to come. "Up" is a stunning follow up to 2008's brilliant "Wall-E." It brings to life characters in ways that only Pixar can. These characters are all well drawn out and believeable, and the plot is absolutely amazing in its ability to infuse comedy with tragedy. While I can admit that there are aspects of the film that would seem impossible (a floating house, talking dogs) the film makes everything seem so incredibly real. It is definitely a film that children and adults alike can enjoy. A sensationally heartfelt, often uplifting film, it seems almost impossible that anyone can't love "Up." Expand
  94. xoux
    Jun 24, 2009
    Clearly one of the best since finding nemo.
  95. TomS
    Jun 28, 2009
    Great movie. Not Pixar's best, but much better than Cars. Bleh! To the person who said this story touches on the topic of abortion...no it doesn't. Ellie doesn't get an abortion, they just realize she isn't "fertile" and she cannot have children. Obviously your poor score reflects your poor attention.
  96. KevinP.
    Jun 5, 2009
    More like a 9.5...Pixar once again has proven themselves to be the best filmmakers in the business. Their last two films (Ratatouille and WALL-E) were each the best movies to come out in their respective years (that sentence sounds weird, but I'm sure you get what I mean) and it looks like Up is going to continue that streak for the third consecutive year. Probably Pixar's More like a 9.5...Pixar once again has proven themselves to be the best filmmakers in the business. Their last two films (Ratatouille and WALL-E) were each the best movies to come out in their respective years (that sentence sounds weird, but I'm sure you get what I mean) and it looks like Up is going to continue that streak for the third consecutive year. Probably Pixar's funniest offering to date, along with a very heartfelt story. Pixar is one of the only companies out there not re-making old films or basing their movies off of best-selling books...major props to them! Expand
  97. JoeyM
    Jun 8, 2009
    My wife and I absolutely loved "Up," particularly the dogs. We laughed just about as much as we cried. Indeed, the first fifteen minutes or so is about the most moving bit of storytelling I've seen on the big screen in years. I'd read what happens in those first fifteen minutes and I still couldn't stop myself from tearing up. While it doesn't quite reach the heights My wife and I absolutely loved "Up," particularly the dogs. We laughed just about as much as we cried. Indeed, the first fifteen minutes or so is about the most moving bit of storytelling I've seen on the big screen in years. I'd read what happens in those first fifteen minutes and I still couldn't stop myself from tearing up. While it doesn't quite reach the heights of "Wall-E" or 'Rataouile" for me (but what can?), this will likely be my favorite movie of 2009. Must see. Expand
  98. MooNinja
    Jul 18, 2009
    Very touching, and delivers on a number of levels. While the plot does seem to waver a bit towards the end, I felt emotionally attached to the characters, and the movie upon my departure from the theater. Up is a must see, especially if you are mature enough to understand emotion.
  99. MiraiM
    Jul 18, 2009
    This film was very touching and moving. Yes, there is a bit of a drop after a spectacular introduction however,] I still found the film to be a wonderful experience. A bit rushed but still a terrific movie.
  100. nickj
    Sep 10, 2009
    The first time I saw Up I enjoyed it immensely, but nothing more. But when I saw it for the second time, the meaning of this beautiful portrait of recovering from a lost love started to sink in. Stunning visually and mentally. Bravo!

1. Winsome, touching and arguably the funniest Pixar effort ever, the gorgeously rendered, high-flying adventure is a tidy 90-minute distillation of all the signature touches that came before it.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A captivating odd-couple adventure that becomes funnier and more exciting as it flies along.
  3. By all means, see Up in its 3-D incarnation: The cliff drops are vertiginous, and the scores of balloons--bunched into the shape of one giant balloon--are as pluckable as grapes.