erbp | Release Date: April 5, 2013
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 127 Ratings
WATCH NOW
StatlerWaldorfOct 28, 2015
There is more "A Topiary" than "Primer" in "Upstream Color", but one of the wonderful things about Shane Carruth is that he is as original as he is resourceful, so there is nothing retreaded in anything he does… other than time, I guess. WhenThere is more "A Topiary" than "Primer" in "Upstream Color", but one of the wonderful things about Shane Carruth is that he is as original as he is resourceful, so there is nothing retreaded in anything he does… other than time, I guess. When "A Topiary" was cancelled, those watching for it on the horizon were sorely disappointed. Was it his "Don Quixote"? His "Dune"? It’s kind of hard to tell from the script. What we can say about the movie we did get is that it’s good, no magnum opus, no revolution, but good and really **** interesting. The main problem with Carruth runs counter to the scifi status quo. Most scifi creators share a frontal lobe brain disease that impinges their self-control around neat ideas to the extent that they cannot help but blow their creative loads on a concept by drowning it in unimportant and superficial details. Mostly people create fantasy, in space; or, in the future; or, on scorched earth. Ideas remain childish, their greater implications self-consciously mapped in awkward pseudo-science soliloquies or outright ignored because the scifi elements are just there for pageantry. Carruth, conversely, has a frustrating level of self-control. With "Upstream Color" he introduces like nine different amazing scifi elements, each worthy of its own film or TV show, but then completely walks away from any attempt to explain them or milk them for thrills. It’s an amazing and infuriating talent. The movie itself is a meditation on ideas like cyclical and interdependent systems, individuality and memory, evolution and community, good **** It does this with careful pacing and wonderful attention to both the auditory and visual experiences of the viewer, and it leaves you stewing on all that indefinitely, because there are no definites in any part of this film. Expand
loganchanceJan 25, 2015
A gorgeous film that engenders little "headscratching." This is not a cerebral film. This is an emotional one. It's as simple as that. It's the evolution of a relationship torn asunder, repaired, torn and repair again by forces they can'tA gorgeous film that engenders little "headscratching." This is not a cerebral film. This is an emotional one. It's as simple as that. It's the evolution of a relationship torn asunder, repaired, torn and repair again by forces they can't really see or understand. It's not asking you to understand. It's asking you to feel. Expand
RMckayJan 4, 2015
Shane Carruth's sophomore full length features tops his debut, in Primer, with a beautiful mystery. One not bogged down with pricey actors and CGI effects. Money well spent in an industry where the profits of success are often misused.Shane Carruth's sophomore full length features tops his debut, in Primer, with a beautiful mystery. One not bogged down with pricey actors and CGI effects. Money well spent in an industry where the profits of success are often misused. Intense and puzzling but with just enough bread crumbs to lead you back home. Looking forward to more from Carruth. The man knows how to utilize his resources better than any newer director. Also a big tip of the hat to the editing squad, especially in the audio department. Expand
lasttimeisawJan 12, 2014
Almost a decade after his befuddling debut PRIMER (2004, 6/10), UPSTREAM COLOR, the jack-of-all-trades Shane Carruth’s greatly anticipated second film arrives with a splashy strut to renounce himself as a flash in the pan because it is a moreAlmost a decade after his befuddling debut PRIMER (2004, 6/10), UPSTREAM COLOR, the jack-of-all-trades Shane Carruth’s greatly anticipated second film arrives with a splashy strut to renounce himself as a flash in the pan because it is a more ambitious, mythological and introspective dissection of a preternatural communications among life forms (in particular, human, pigs, grubs and lilies).

A young woman Kris (Seimetz) abducted by a thief (Martins), who plants parasitic grubs into her body, hypnotically mind-controls her and embezzles all her money from the bank; after the thief left, a mysterious swineherd aka. The Sampler (Sensenig) removes the grubs out of her system, grafts them inside a piglet, therefore forms an uncanny interrelation between Kris and the piglet, then releases Kris back to her normal life, through the piglet the Sampler can observe his specimen in his pig farm. Afterward, Kris meets Jeff (Carruth himself), and they bond together romantically, filters through their trips and spats, spectators will realize Jeff is another sample, their memories intermingle with each other, Kris suffers from auditory hallucinations, both slip into mental instability. Later on, things emerge to a crescendo, they trace the path to the Sampler’s farm and all the human guinea pigs are assembled to reunite with their porcine linkages.

My account may not be 100% accurate as in Carruth’s narrative everything is shattered in fragments and the film is overcrowded with inexplicable behavioral quirks and environmental drifts, the exhausting duologue with abstruse drabness doesn’t help either. But it is the originality that being salient here to broaden our horizons within a micro Sci-Fi scale, Carrith’s execution may be controversial for what it is worth suggested from his two films so far, without doubt he is a mastermind with transcendental imagination which is a rare bird in the woods of derivativeness and stereotypes.

The Sampler in the movie is also a sound collector, so consistently there are protruding sound effects abound, from lower bass humming, crispy ding-dong, intangible rumbling to tepid string droning, married with mannered montages drenched in dazzling timber, if this isn’t an epitome of equivocality between highbrow solipsism and ostentatious narcissism, I cannot think anything else.

Amy Seimetz (from THE KILLING Season 3) is the unwavering leading lady in this film, gives a performance seething with unpredictable neurosis, breakdowns, helplessness and determination. While Carruth, the director, writer, cinematographer, composer and actor, whom one just cannot avoid be awed and overpraising.

Obviously like PRIMER, it is another film ramifies dissonant readings and interpretations, but if it will ever reach the criterion of prime precedents like Mulholland Dr. (2001, 9/10), an earnest advice to Mr. Carruth, getting out of the esoteric comfort zone a little, demystifying the undecipherable a bit and taking a deep breath before editing the fodder.
LeZeeJan 3, 2014
After 9 years from his first directional venture, 'Primer' director came up with this challenging concept in science fiction theme. I think it is an underrated movie of the year. Good story but a little confusing to understand the story flowAfter 9 years from his first directional venture, 'Primer' director came up with this challenging concept in science fiction theme. I think it is an underrated movie of the year. Good story but a little confusing to understand the story flow like the movie 'The Tree of Life'. Sometime it is hard to know which comes first and what portions fit where. Especially I am still not able to get how the shooting at the end takes place.

Like I said the time and places were playing the tricks on the viewers. Giving an attention while a watch is the best one can nab what the director is wanting to tell us in his movie. That means it is not a message movie but a brain twisting science-fiction with art form connecting to the life cycle of the earth. You might remember the movie 'The Golden Compass', where every human is connected with other living creatures other than his own type. (That was fictional fantasy but this one is told on the backdrop of biology.) Yeah that is where this story is very near to get connect with to explain in a simple way, other than complicated ones like 'The Tree of Life' and '2001: A Space Odyssey'.

The movie is visually enjoyable because of a fine photography which looked a lot like a dream that happening right now. So the only question I am eager to ask the director is as capable to narrate the story with a powerful tool then why should he take a decade to make another one. I believe he will come up with something extraordinary than his first two in very short time. I don't care if he on boards big name actors or fresh faces but looking forward to his next venture. Looks like he's the man to look out in the future from the director's chair.
ashraf3812Dec 17, 2013
One of the weirdest movies I have ever seen Highly influenced by terrance malick's technique the director creates a world to be lost in. You may not understand all of what you see Ain't life like that too but it surrounds you with itsOne of the weirdest movies I have ever seen Highly influenced by terrance malick's technique the director creates a world to be lost in. You may not understand all of what you see Ain't life like that too but it surrounds you with its meticulous direction and naturalism The movie is a sci fi movie but unlike generic modern sci fi movies that depend only on visual effects this one stimulate your brain and your senses as well Expand
mitchersonNov 10, 2013
The film was visually stunning, the storytelling was very inventive, and the acting was superb. It was unlike any film I've ever seen before. It is definitely one of my favorite films of the year.
coyotemoon722Oct 27, 2013
This movie has a lot of mixed reviews. The critics love it because of its esoteric nature, and a lot of viewers hate it for how difficult it is to sit through, how little dialogue there is, and the difficulty of interpretation.

I didn't

I didn't care for Upstream Color as a film, but I did enjoy it quite immensely as a concept. Carruth chose an interesting method of storytelling where he puts the characters in a foreign space, and uses mostly visual and auditory motifs to explain the story and express the emotions of the characters. The movie contains extremely few bits of dialogue, and this can be off-putting to many viewers.

I feel that this methodology is indeed intriguing, but I don't think it was executed quite as perfect as it could have been. For one, the music can be grating at times, with dull beats and elongated tones. This makes the visual storytelling difficult to bare. Carruth admits to having done most of the music himself, and I think he should have went with a professional on this.

Secondly, although the visuals are somewhat interesting, at times they feel flat, as if the production wasn't quite up to mark. And since this is Carruth's main medium for storytelling in the movie, it lessens the experience if at least somewhat. There are some extremely beautiful scenes, but there are a lot of dull ones to sit through as well. In addition to that, the scenes often drag out, forcing you to flip from one character to the next, over and over until each scene is complete.

And that's why it is difficult to rate this film any higher. There is so little dialogue in the movie, that at times you're painfully waiting for the next scene, but it takes forever to arrive. It's also painful in the regard that you care about these characters, so you're forced to endure their misery that much longer.

The concept of the movie is brilliant. Carruth's Primer was excellent conceptually, and this is no different. The characters are almost other-worldly as a result of their experience, and it really comes through in the storytelling and acting. The story itself is smart, universal, and resonant. And despite the aforementioned misfires, there's a very interesting film that has to at least be seen and understood to be fully appreciated for what it is. And make no mistake, Carruth is breaking new ground on this one both in terms of storytelling and the story itself.

However the story is very difficult to understand if you miss any visual cues, and since there are so many of them, that's easy to do. The movie often becomes schizophrenic, frantically flipping from one character to the next, but showing those characters doing the most mundane of things, all of which are actually important to the story.

To fully understand the film, you really have to be on top of your game and paying close attention to detail. I think ultimately that's what makes this a good film, if not a great one. If you are on top of your game, and you can bare some of the longer pieces with no dialogue, then you are rewarded with a solved mystery that speaks to the human condition. And the film is saturated with theme and symbolism, which is one of the benefits of actually taking part in it, as opposed to reading a synopsis.

I think for me to have fully enjoyed this film things would have had to speed up a bit. There are times, most notably the last half hour of the movie where it just drags on and on, and these bits could have been cut out or shortened dramatically. Though admittedly, this is a new form of storytelling for me, so perhaps my brain simply isn't used to being patient with this type of storytelling.

I would recommend against watching this movie if you're looking for something as engaging as Primer, but are not willing to sit through a quasi-silent film for whatever the run time is. If you don't mind trying something new, and are curious about the untapped genius that is Carruth, there are some precious and beautiful moments to be had here, however cumbersome it was to illuminate them.
hoops2448Sep 11, 2013
Writing a review about Upstream Color implies I have gotten as much as I possibly want from the film out of it but that couldn't be further from the truth as truly understanding this stream of conscious thought would take more than a fewWriting a review about Upstream Color implies I have gotten as much as I possibly want from the film out of it but that couldn't be further from the truth as truly understanding this stream of conscious thought would take more than a few watches and honestly I don't think my wallet can take the enlightenment. When Kris (Amy Seimetz) is accosted by a mysterious stranger and implanted with a mind altering parasite, her ideal life is upended and the only thing that seems to return her to a modicome of normalcy is Jeff (Shane Carruth), a man who has been through a similar experience that she meets on a train. While the film does demand you fill in the films many plot holes with your own imagination, it isn't the same lazy storytelling technique that made Only God Forgives so intolerably stupid. The film sets a framework for the viewer, one that we must populate with our own thoughts, our own ideas about what it all means. Without our input and our sense of self this film wouldn't work. It's a special picture because no one sees the same thing or comes to the same conclusion. The connection Kris makes with this creature is a way of discussing not only the natural cycle of things on this planet but the concept of symbiosis, the coming together of two organisms and the bond the two form as they work with each other. This is something interpreted by Kris and Jeff's importance to each other but also through Kris' relationship to the parasite, something she cannot see but she knows somehow is there. Seimetz proves herself one to watch as she brings out so much in a dialogue light script. Her actions tell a wealth of story while leaving as much to self interpretation as possible. It's an exercise in expanding your mind but also in letting go and enjoying a trippy but complex love story between not only a man and a woman but a woman and a parasite. Expand
indiegalaxy10Aug 27, 2013
This is innovation of cinema A beautiful film, a unique film. The soundtrack the cinematography, all is completely beautiful, i see it like an experience. A Incredible experience.
brieflyJul 22, 2013
A real filmmaker with original vision, Carruth has followed up the brilliant "Primer" with an equally perplexing, intriguing and captivating film. What T. Malick tried with horrible results to create in "Tree of Life," Carruth has succeededA real filmmaker with original vision, Carruth has followed up the brilliant "Primer" with an equally perplexing, intriguing and captivating film. What T. Malick tried with horrible results to create in "Tree of Life," Carruth has succeeded in, particularly by being a man of science rather than a man of faith (nods to "Lost."). Expand
BrianSfinasJul 4, 2013
Read my review of Upstream Color here: http://briansfinas.com/review-of-shane-carruths-upstream-color/

An excerpt from the review: The actress in this film, Amy Seimetz is not spectacular. I hate to make this comparison, but in Primer

An excerpt from the review:

The actress in this film, Amy Seimetz is not spectacular. I hate to make this comparison, but in Primer the film was about Abe and David Sullivan gave a performance that just blew my mind. Carruth perfectly supported him as Aaron. In this film, Carruth again plays the perfect supporting role, but Seimetz can’t quite hit all the notes. There are scenes where she is admittedly great, and I can see what Carruth must’ve seen in her when casting his female lead, but amid what is a really flawless composition, she stands out as a bruise on the peach.
GerbusJun 28, 2013
This is an absolutely amazing movie. If you've seen and liked Primer, you'll like this too. The true greatness of the writing is evident when 45 minutes in, you're still wondering what's going on, and you haven't gotten bored. I put a lot ofThis is an absolutely amazing movie. If you've seen and liked Primer, you'll like this too. The true greatness of the writing is evident when 45 minutes in, you're still wondering what's going on, and you haven't gotten bored. I put a lot of movies back after 20 minutes, because there's no hook in the writing. But this has a hook. It's ethereal. It's emotional. It's beautiful. Expand
BlackfuryRisesJun 11, 2013
The last shot of this film? Breathtaking, amazing, heartwarming--you name it. Loved this film a lot, (even though I might not fully understand what the actual hell was happening half the time).
MarcDoyleApr 25, 2013
A beautifully-shot, challenging ,and outstanding film. I'm going to check out Primer as soon as possible, and I'll try to catch this one again before it's theatrical run has concluded. I agree with most critics that trying to nail down theA beautifully-shot, challenging ,and outstanding film. I'm going to check out Primer as soon as possible, and I'll try to catch this one again before it's theatrical run has concluded. I agree with most critics that trying to nail down the specific plot details is unnecessary to intuitively understanding and enjoying this film. Amy Seimetz is fantastic, and she plays well with Carruth. The elegant visuals, coupled with the very interesting score, make this a film like no other I've seen in a long while. Here's hoping that we'll see many more films from Carruth in the not-too-distant future. Expand
Mike_MApr 22, 2013
Short version: Upstream Color is a good-but-flawed, puzzling, poetical, unusual movie. It's not easy to watch or digest, but will give you plenty to think and feel.
* *
Users have noted how flawed this movie is while (unkindly- cruelly
* *
Users have noted how flawed this movie is while (unkindly- cruelly even) rating it 0. Some very good critics (Zacharek among them) have given it lukewarm reviews. There is some truth to what they say. It is hard to follow, artsy-fartsy, and pretentious (as in: intellectual ambition failed, as separate from artsy-fartsiness). How severely to penalize an American movie in 2013 for these three flaws is an open question. For me, not one of these flaws, or all of them together, is as ugly as any one of the flaws we get most often in our movies, whether big-budget or indie or in between. It's not based on a franchise, it's not a vehicle for celebrities, it's not a recycled-story excuse for special effects or tear-jerking, it's not quirky and too cute by half, there's no particular exploitation of sex or violence, and the relatively happy ending is probably too troubling (in my interpretation) to call tacked-on, facile or restorative.

Upstream Color is a good, unusual movie with a lot of unusual flaws. Piecing the story together takes place across the entire movie. The characters are the sort of two-dimensional types that are necessary for an allegory, especially one that's puzzling, lyrical, metaphorical and maybe deliberately inscrutable. you might love this movie. You might hate it. You will not have the same old movie experience.
Friskytiger81Apr 16, 2013
Yes, it's a polarizing film, 4 people walked out 30 mins in, but it's a worthy successor to Carruth's debut, "Primer" and one of the best films in this early year. This reminds me of "The Tree of Life" in how many reviews bloat aYes, it's a polarizing film, 4 people walked out 30 mins in, but it's a worthy successor to Carruth's debut, "Primer" and one of the best films in this early year. This reminds me of "The Tree of Life" in how many reviews bloat a "head-scratching" plot. However, it's really not that difficult. The elliptical editing similar to what Carruth achieved in his first, "Primer" warrants more time to fully understand the plot, but it's by no means, impossible. After first viewing, it's a telling tale of deception and retribution, a complex story of theft while tracking down those involved (however loosely) and creating a life from the wreckage the deceit involved. It's worth the investment and is different from anything from a major studio you'll ever see partially why it's self-distributed (by the director). Writer/director Shane Carruth, because of his stories' complexities and the depth at which his stories take viewers, including his willingness to self-distribute titles makes him one of the most important American directors even with only 2 films under his belt. See this film, so you can watch again to fully understand the plot. Expand