8.1

1. Oct 4, 2011
    Now, "V for Vendetta" here is a great example of how graphic novel-based books should be when made into a movie. The story is deeply involved into the movie as well as the characters and their significance. Natalie Portman especially does a exceptional, outstanding performance as V's girlfriend (?). Must watch!!!
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    This blast of subversive pop cinema is a thrill ride from beginning to end, and probably stands as the best film adaptation of all Alan Moore's work. However, the production is both propelled and impaired by the Wachowski Brothers' influence - the stylized violence is bound to be campy in a few years' time and the dramatic storyline is carried too much by actors with the same serious deadpan British accent (hearing just audio, I doubt I'd be able to differentiate the voices.) Still, in the end, the movie gives us exactly what we want - controversy, an awesome antihero, and a huge, giant explosion. Expand
  3. Nov 5, 2010
    Superb acting, really awesome lines, great action, and an effective political message. what more can you ask for?? This was really well done and there were scenes when i was like "yes!"
  4. Nov 17, 2010
    I thought this film was fantastic.
    I think that the way Hugo Weaving portrayed V without ever showing his face was a great testament to his ability as actor and Natalie Portman was great as well.
    The tone and setting is great as well and as a fan of dystopian film and literature, this film hooked me straight away.
  5. Apr 30, 2012
    A satisfying watch. An original plot, John Hurt is excellent, as ever. Not just a good popcorn action / thriller movie, although it is that too, an effective satire on the current political apathy and paranoia of British Politics today. An outlandish cautionary tale, but cautionary tales are important still.
  6. Jan 22, 2011
    An enjoyable movie for those who want a bit of philosophy with their action. Weaving and Portman are phenominal, while the cinematography and mood are great. Though it is good, don't compare it to the graphic novel by Alan Moore(as many changes were made), nor look too deeply at the philosophy on hand. It is a middle ground film in ways, but I enjoyed the mix.
  7. Apr 27, 2012
    Fantastic, extremely well written, and the performances by the cast are outstanding, truly a must see, it causes you to think, will stick with you long after watching it, and conveys a message, a message that should be taught, believed in, and acted upon, and that message is "People shouldn't fear the Government, the Government should fear the people".
  8. Mar 2, 2011
    I gave it an 8 only because it was much too violent in the end. I saw both the TV version, still somewhat violent, and cable not realizing it was the R version until well into the end. I thought it was a great film as it was not just original, directed and acted well, but I found it to be artsy. Usually Americans cannot execute or enjoy the artsy films like the Europeans can. It has a message about people vs. governments but in a way that is not offensive. Expand
  9. Mar 10, 2011
    Likable movie. The story was unique and at some points touching. I loved the twists and the games V planned for everyone. It was like he was the master of puppets :) And also, actors did their job very well.
  10. Jun 3, 2012
    Personally I reckon this is a must see film for anyone, the messages are deep the music choices are great, acting excellent and and even the films weakest points leaves many hollywood blockbusters in the dust.
    The film is a fantastic remake of the comic and has great re-watchability.
    To be honest I would like to **** slap anybody who rated this a 5 or less, I can understand political and
    idealogical differences but most of the reasons I have read are either downright stupid, written by people who obviously never watched the film or by people that completely missed it's the point and message. If you have more than two brain cells to rub together this is a great film., if not might I direct you to transformers and twilight. instead Expand
  11. Oct 8, 2012
    Definitely in my top 10 films. Excellent all around with rich characters and a story you will love watching to its final conclusion. V himself is the best character by far, not bad for a character that is limited to using his voice and body language only as his face is obscured by a mask!
  12. May 4, 2013
    I don't know if it was the cultural impact or the mixed religious outcries that people thought the film was portraying, but either way, V for Vendetta is definitely one of the most controversial, loved, hated but respected films in the last decade.
    Based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore, a man who disowned and does not acknowledge this film, the film is set in the not too distant
    future, when Britain is under a very fascist regime under the authority of High Chancellor Adam Sutler (John Hurt). The rest of the world is in turmoil with countless civil wars, yet the UK holds strong due to its dictatorship, there are curfews and sensors in place, Big Brother has its very own playground indeed.
    But there are of course those that are driven too far, and when Evey hammond (Natalie Portman) is rescued by a masked man simply known by the letter 'V' (Hugo Weaving), she begins to question everything she has ever known, while the Guy Fawkes fanatic V sets in motion a plan for Britain to free itself from the shackles of its worst enemy...itself.
    V has a past that is told throughout the film, and while we don't see his face, there is plenty of pain behind the mask, a wrong which he is hoping to right.
    As mentioned, the film is very central to the plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament by Guy Fawkes centuries before, something which he failed to do. V attempts to use this as a key to freeing the people of their repression, by giving them the power.
    Of course a film like this isn't without its controversies, which I do believe clouded a lot of the judgement of the film itself, its a dramatic, action and thriller oriented flick that will please those looking for a good struggle against politics, and this is perhaps why many hated it, there are plenty of coded messages within the film that do pick at events that have already occurred in a own very real world, but this isn't a political article, its a film review, and I thoroughly enjoyed this film, apart from the lighting was a tad out of touch and at times completely frustrating, but not a movie killer
    Natalie Portman gives a sound and emotional performance as Evey Hammond, but being over-shadowed by a man whose face we don't even see, but his voice literally does tell the story, Hugo Weaving. He commands the screen with his opening speech with enough v words to make you dizzy, but he also portrays a man on a mission. Stephen Rea gives an excellent performance as the torn detective Finch, who is never quite sure to admit what he believes to be true.
    It certainly gives all the signals of a political thriller, but for its fantastic final act, intriguing story and character development, V for Vendetta is a solid and enjoyable effort from the Wachowski brothers.
  13. Mar 30, 2013
    V for Vendetta is a great film! Its light on action but heavy on delivering a message that's(while subjective to some but clear to others) thought provokingly deep and has excellent characters that you'll love(or hate). Hugo weaving..Natalie portman...John hurt...and Stephen rea are impressive throughout the movie!! Hugo weaving was just as smart as he was a dangerous killing machine while on his quest for vengeance while free Britain from a fascist government! Stephen rea almost steals the spotlight with an exceptional performance as Fitch! John hurts portrayal of chancellor Adam sadler was completely believable. Like most oppressive leaders...he's completely single-minded(and not in a good way) kills for what he believes is right regardless if its right or not and makes things disappear(including people) he finds offensives in any way!! Now evey(played by Ms.portman) was great as she finds herself inadvertently caught up in V's plan for vengeance/justice(well until she maces a police detective) Her backstory is both dramatic and tragic as V's which is why they work well with each other..both characters complimenting each others strengths while adding something to each other(V gives evey her the strength to live without fear while evey gives V reason to feel something other than hate..love!) Now the overall point/tone/nature of this film(while subjective to the viewers) is religion and an oppressive government meets a terrorist out for revenge AND justice so he can bring down a fascist government...confused? You should be because this is a movie remember...Now I wont say that V for Vendetta doesn't take political jabs at how government systems over step their boundaries(albeit extreme in this movie) but it raises the question of are we as a society being manipulated and controlled through fear(Tv) war and other tragedies that we as a society turn to a would be savior at the cost of our freedom? Should people be thrown in nazi-like camps...be tortured and experimented on like lab rats because their gay or lesbian...or speak out against their government? The religious and political undertones are quite strong but once again...this is just a movie. So I say this....if you are strongly religious or sensitive when it comes to religion or politics then steer clear of this movie because you will be offended!! And that's my point...I'm religious but do I think gays and lesbians should be punished or that they are disgusting? No..if that's who you are then so be it! Do I support terrorism? No!! But I will say this about V...was he really a terrioist? I don't think so...If anyone says he was then clearly you missed the point of his character to the point where Fitch(Stephen rea) says he isn't one and has a OVERWHELMING NEED to know who V was and why he was doing what he was doing because he eventually see's the connection with Saint Mary's tragedy...three waters incident and the party members V was killing and questions his government involvement in the deaths of all those people. Although nothing this extreme would happen(I hope not) in real life...V for Vendetta does hit home on a persons personal feelings and problems with a system of government..how it affects not just them but society as a whole...social conformity through the media and tapped phones....social ignorance(we follow but do not. question)strict religious beliefs...control through fear and panic etc..etc..The worst thing about this movie is its light on action so if your an action junkie..pass on this. Evey wasn't needed anymore after she survived V's torture as she's seen in several scenes just walking around until shes given a reason to be apart of the movie again at the end. This movie is a bit controversial in its approach to religion...fascism...social conformity...terrorism...sexual preference and acceptance of a persons preferred sexual choice and the complete domination of an entire country through surveillance...kidnapping..torture..scientific research and wanton murderer of thousands of people may cause an uproar(either good or bad) is only natural...so I will say this again....do not watch this movie if you are sensitive in your religious or political(both?) beliefs gay or lesbian or loves the Koran...you've been warned!! Great movie the wachowski brothers(I loved all three matrix movies) 9 out of 10!! Expand
  14. Dec 14, 2011
    People like "KristinaS" down there make me want to blow my brains out. The movie is about the idea of true freedom. About questioning things and not just taking information that the government/news feed you (which you clearly don't do). This movie is one of my favourites and I don't know why it has such a low critic score. Probably because the critics are people like KristinaS down there...
  15. Jan 26, 2012
    There are quite a lot of conflicting reviews on this film. I didn't read the graphic novel yet so I don't have the burden of seeing how they compared, all I know is that I enjoy this movie immensely every single time it is on. I can look at this movie as its own entity and I absolutely love it.
  16. Mar 16, 2012
    I really liked the movie. The plot was very interesting. The acting was good for the most part (I wasnt satisfied by some of the supporting cast). What hurt this movie was the poor action sequences, pathetic death scenes (such as in the final fight of the film), and the painfully obvious fake blood. It was a little disapointing imo. However, Its still a very solid movie that is well worth the watch. Expand
  17. Mar 17, 2012
    I didn't watch this movie for the political struggle and I didn't watch it 3 times after that because of the fantastically charming protagonist. I watched this because it poses ACTUAL moral dilemma's. What makes war just? Is violence an acceptable means of justice? Questions like these provoke thought and may even define the movie itself.
  18. Mar 24, 2012
    V per Vendetta è l'esempio perfetto di come fare un film tratto da un fumetto senza renderlo una mera commercialata o un'action tutta azione zero trama, zero spessore... Sono riusciti a trasmettere il messaggio che il fumetto voleva trasmetttere senza stravolgerne nessun angolo. E' un connubio perfetto tra fumetto e film. E senza considerare il fattto che è tratto dal una graphic novel rimane comunque un film di tutto rispetto codibile da tutto il pubblico senza limitazioni agli appasionati di Moore. Expand
  19. Jun 5, 2012
    amazing movie, love it !!!!
    and V and Evey are so awesome together, they bring out the best in each other, he makes her strong and she makes him a better person
  20. Apr 20, 2013
    Based on the comic series by Vertigo (DC Comics Label) a movie with a gripping storyline, intense moments and a stupefying script is created by the Wachowski Brothers, foretelling a possible prophecy for future generations about totalitarian super-countries like America and Britain. Amazing twists and unsolved mysteries, coupled with the cunning and menacing freedom fighter V (Hugo Weaving) juxtaposed to the beautiful and extraordinary Eve (Natalie Portman) creates a movie that can be watched many times without getting old. Expand
  21. Sep 17, 2013
    Great atmosphere of dystopia and dictatorship. Nice graphic novel-based story. I can call this movie uhh...inspirational. It convinces that everyone should fight for his rights and freedom.
  22. Feb 1, 2013
    With a story that's as politically potent as it is brilliantly structured, "V For Vendetta" makes for an uncommonly enthralling action-thriller with a very salient point.
  23. Feb 8, 2013
    A deeply moving film. Good acting all around. Natalie Portman nails it every time. V is a very intriguing character. Though it was not so thought provoking it was highly entertaining. I'm glad to have seen it. Very well made. In a time where we have seen rebellions rise from literally nothing of consequence, the plot was not so implausible.
  24. Jun 2, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic film! A modern classic in my opinion, with important, timeless themes. Natalie Portman is fantastic. Hugo Weaving owns; I love that we never get to see V's face.
  25. Jan 24, 2013
    I absolutely loved it. Real world political innuendos aside, it is rather clever and does make you think. I'm sure mindless action fans must have hated it as the point will clearly go over their heads. It's no where near as good as the comic, but to be fair, for a movie adaptation it did the best it could within the time frame allotted to it. Overall: great movie that can be a little too pretentious at times. But I was highly entertained none the less. Expand
  26. Dec 18, 2012
    This film turned out to be nothing like I thought it would, and that's a good thing. The performances were interesting, convincing, and my whole rating could easily be just for Hugo Weaving's amazing "V" monologue.
  27. Dec 30, 2012
    I loved this movie! Perfect example of what a movie should be. The story line was unpredictable, in a good way, and anyone who says it is not and that it is too unrealistic should consider watching this film again and actually pay attention.
  28. Aug 16, 2013
    MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME! Hugo Weaving is perfect as V, Natalie Portman is perfect as Evie Hammond and John Hurt is perfect as Adam Sutler. I am a very picky movie reviewer but this is a flawless movie!
  29. Feb 3, 2013
    amazing, explosive, nuts and passionate. v for vendetta is a master work, that will make you mind explore. definitely not your eyes unglued from the screen
  30. Dec 12, 2013
    Esta pelicula nos da una nueva perspectiva de libertad y de que un hombre con convicion y coraje es capaz de hacer mucho por un pueblo oprimido, demacrado y despojado de sus derechos.
  31. Mar 12, 2013
    I remember when my sister bought Guy Fawks's mask for my birthday! This movie is just great! A wonderful and emotional action MUST WATCH! My score is 7/10
  32. May 28, 2013
    Since V for Vendetta is my favorite movie of all time, I have to give it a 10 out of 10! I absolutely love the premise of the movie, as well as the script, plot, characters and dialogue. First of all, Hugo Weaving totally owns the role of V, he's sophisticated, intelligent and BAD ASS! V is such a lovable character with billions of lines that send a message about humanity. Then there's Natalie Portman as Evey Hammond, she was great to, she was believable and had that realism to her, she didn't over act or anything, she actually seemed like a normal woman who is taken under V's wing. The movie really sends a message about humanity, and this is what I think of it, when the public is out of control, they will do anything to re-establish a state of order, even if it means giving up rights, humanity will give in to anything. The movie also sends a message about human cruelty, the unfairness of life, and the consequences of genocide. Its an amazing movie with great characters, dialogue and plot. It will put your mind to the test, so if you want a hardcore action movie, you may not like V for Vendetta because its not action, its a political movie! So go watch this flawless masterpiece! Expand
  33. Jul 4, 2013
    "V for Vendetta" is a cinematic thrill ride that delivers both entertainment and thought provoking messages to those in the audience. Hugo Weaving's performance is phenomenal as is Natalie Portman's. The two main characters are surrounded with a cast of supporting characters that deliver performances that are worth remembering."V for Vendetta" is cinema at it's best. The movie is a beautifully delivered roller coaster ride consisting of some of the most eye popping action sequences, flawless acting, wonderful cinematography and extremely relevant messages about what mankind does when it is given power. All of these things add to why "V for Vendetta" is my favorite film. A try masterpiece delivered to us with both style and substance. Expand
  34. Aug 11, 2013
    an average adaption on an excellent book, the movie gives it an almost satirical spin opposite from the deep book, entertaining but nothing more then that
  35. Aug 1, 2013
    Not to be mistaken for a serious jab at political scrutiny, it is still an undeniably exhilarating vigilante thriller with enough wit and provocative dialogue to suffice.
  36. Sep 14, 2013
    Terrible movie. Long, ponderous, overwrought, melodramatic garbage. Phantom of the Opera meets 1984 meets Days of Our Lives. An unfortunate blemish on John Hurt's wonderful career.
  37. Dec 17, 2013
    V for Vendetta feels like a vendetta against the government but one can not help admire its deeply thought characters, great visuals and good storyline & premise.
  38. Dec 4, 2013
    To be honest. The movie has it's weaknesses, one of them being incredibly large plot holes towards the end which most people seem to dismiss rather easily I do not dislike the movie. In fact, there's a lot to like, but I somehow find this movie a bit pretentious and preachy. Been a long time since I've seen it last but I found this movie a bit overrated. It's best you see it for yourself. I will write a longer review the next time I see it. Expand
  39. Dec 7, 2013
    One of the best films I've seen. The suspense of this work is perfectly orchestrated, as are some of the character designs (namely V and the aristocrats). The film is fun, exciting, action-packed, and witty. If you don't like it, something's probably wrong with you.

The explosive V for Vendetta is powered by ideas that are not computer-generated. It's something rare in Teflon Hollywood: a movie that sticks with you.
  2. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Viewers expecting a thrill ride might be disappointed. V engages in a couple of satisfying crime-fighting set pieces, but the story is more occupied with mystery and intrigue. Happily, it almost is entirely free of the hollow pomposity that marred the Wachowskis' last two "Matrix" films.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    It's a terrific movie. I love the look and the verve of the thing, the confidence of its epic design, its smart use of half a dozen noted British thesps, lending weight and wit to the supporting roles.