V for Vendetta

7.3

1. Dec 26, 2015
    Why 10? Every scene is simply a memorable scene. This move represents a milestone on the "rouge governments" films niche. The literary devices (such as alliteration) are used to build suspense and that results in great speeches. Secondary, the plot and the acting are pretty nice and fit well the suspense build-up.

Also, the idea of a personal revenge that ultimately serves the

Also, the idea of a personal revenge that ultimately serves the revolutionary spirit - it's just great. It gives the movie a very intimate feeling. Saving the world serves not only the common good, but the hero's vendetta.

Probably the take-away is "Because beneath this mask there's an idea, [...] and ideas are bulletproof". To me, that's one of the most memorable movie lines. Simply loved it!
  2. Oct 30, 2015
    V for Vendetta (2005) has always been one of my favorite movies, I had to break down and watch it again last night in order to get a refresher; it’s still perfect in every way. The cast in V for Vendetta couldn’t have been any more perfect featuring stars like Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, Rupert Graves, and many others; perfection to the letter. Being that this film was released in 2005,V for Vendetta (2005) has always been one of my favorite movies, I had to break down and watch it again last night in order to get a refresher; it’s still perfect in every way. The cast in V for Vendetta couldn’t have been any more perfect featuring stars like Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, Rupert Graves, and many others; perfection to the letter. Being that this film was released in 2005, the film still sits beautifully up to date and accurate in today's film technology if not better in some ways. The story-line says it all and with that story it is held in high regards for humanity to hear, what a masterpiece.

The cinematography is a work of art, perfectly selected music for each scene, eye candy for the masses in hopes of understanding the messages and so much more.

V for Vendetta (2005) will always be one of my favorites and highly recommended for the world to see.
  3. Sep 29, 2015
    Wow I mean such cool dagger fights! and this movie is just like... so fu*king deep... like the f**king ocean and s**t. Plus like, it talks about the government watching us an stuff... spooky! that could totally be happening for real we need to start a revolution!
  4. Jul 13, 2015
    Director James McTeigue's action set pieces have satisfying crime fighting scenes it's not mindblowing or "look at that! That was cool " moments , however the Wachowski brothers screenplay engages mystery and suspense the story is intrigued, interesting in the British thesps and it's effective political message. So it's like world war three but in London, so London is a police stateDirector James McTeigue's action set pieces have satisfying crime fighting scenes it's not mindblowing or "look at that! That was cool " moments , however the Wachowski brothers screenplay engages mystery and suspense the story is intrigued, interesting in the British thesps and it's effective political message. So it's like world war three but in London, so London is a police state controlled by a authoritarian government, a vigilante know as V (Hugo Weaving) using terrorist tactics to fight the oppressors of the world which he's living on. V saves a woman Evey Hammond (Natalie Portman) from the secret police he discovers an ally in his fight against England's oppressors and has a relationship with Evey. It's sounds like Weaving is trying to an impression of batman for some odd reason, he is once again fantastic in a Wachowski brothers movie but once you get to know his character it's impressive we can feel for his character. Portman was exceptional as V's sidekick/girlfriend. Okay look this movie has a effective political message but it there's nothing about the action that is all that great. But some people might take the film offensive. Grade A Expand
  5. Jan 18, 2015
    The movie is slow but,the at ors are really good and the action scenes are well made.The atmosphere is scary and V is one of the best "villain".The end is really good even if the movie was predictable.
  6. Dec 23, 2014
    I was not expecting this one to be a great film, but boy oh boy was it ever a great film. First off, Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman are beyond phenomenal in the film, in particular Weaving. He is a true revelation. However, the true stars here are the Wachowski Brothers. Honestly, the script for this film may be one of the best I have ever seen. So many powerful, heartbreaking, moving,I was not expecting this one to be a great film, but boy oh boy was it ever a great film. First off, Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman are beyond phenomenal in the film, in particular Weaving. He is a true revelation. However, the true stars here are the Wachowski Brothers. Honestly, the script for this film may be one of the best I have ever seen. So many powerful, heartbreaking, moving, inspirational, important, and quotable, lines in this one. There are two scenes in particular that are so well written that man do they hit you. They just knocked me on my ass and left me trying to recover from what I had just seen. On top of this, the cinematography here is gorgeous, as is the production value. This is eye candy in its truest form (again, one scene in particular comes to mind with dominos, like, mmm baby). On top of that, the action sequences are brilliantly shot and choreographed and the special effects utilized there and in other scenes are picture perfect. My only complaint would be the CGI blood effects. They were unnecessary and over the top. However, on than that, this film is marvelous. Expand
  7. Nov 10, 2014
    V for Vendetta feels like a personal vendetta against today's government but one can not help admire its deeply thought characters, great visuals and intriguing storyline & premise.
  8. Oct 17, 2014
    This is by far one of DC comics most interesting movies as it tells a story both heart retching and loveable.
    V is the most interesting character I have ever seen and you never see his face.
    This is by far a brilliant movie to watch and is worth the 2 hours you give up to watch it.
  9. Oct 12, 2014
    V for Vendetta is a really dark and gritty movie about a futuristic fading society full of crime and murder.With thought provoking moments and great acting this movie is definitely worth anyone's time.
  10. Aug 28, 2014
    It kind of seemed the movie never "began". It was one steady motion from end to beginning - not making it any worse, though.

I am not familiar with the DC comics, which means I'm looking at all this as an ousider. The characters seemed good to me, even if they were not explained from top to bottom - which maintained the air of mystery. The world order was also kind of weakly covered,

The characters seemed good to me, even if they were not explained from top to bottom - which maintained the air of mystery. The world order was also kind of weakly covered, but maybe that was the point. Again, to keep the mystery and slight confusion hanging over everything.

Maybe most I was disappointed with Evey's (Portman) character's growth, because it was not explored well enough. It seemed rather abrupt at times.

Not a bad movie, though. You can also see bits and pieces of Matrix in here, courtesy to the Wachowski brothers.
  11. Aug 27, 2014
    Cinema at its finest. V for Vendetta is a prime example of thrilling an audience and entertaining them amidst a dystopia. Natalie Portman is magnificent--but did we really expect any less from her? Nope!
  12. Aug 7, 2014
    Really enjoyed this film! The story and the visual style of this film was remarkable and kept me very engaged in the world as well as the characters! Even though there was not as much action as I had expected throughout, it pays of with a series of very cool event that lead up to an immensely satisfying conclusion! Has me very interested to read the graphic novel!
  13. Dec 17, 2013
    V for Vendetta feels like a vendetta against the government but one can not help admire its deeply thought characters, great visuals and good storyline & premise.
  14. Dec 12, 2013
    Esta pelicula nos da una nueva perspectiva de libertad y de que un hombre con convicion y coraje es capaz de hacer mucho por un pueblo oprimido, demacrado y despojado de sus derechos.
  15. Dec 7, 2013
    One of the best films I've seen. The suspense of this work is perfectly orchestrated, as are some of the character designs (namely V and the aristocrats). The film is fun, exciting, action-packed, and witty. If you don't like it, something's probably wrong with you.
  16. Dec 4, 2013
    To be honest. The movie has it's weaknesses, one of them being incredibly large plot holes towards the end which most people seem to dismiss rather easily I do not dislike the movie. In fact, there's a lot to like, but I somehow find this movie a bit pretentious and preachy. Been a long time since I've seen it last but I found this movie a bit overrated. It's best you see it for yourself.To be honest. The movie has it's weaknesses, one of them being incredibly large plot holes towards the end which most people seem to dismiss rather easily I do not dislike the movie. In fact, there's a lot to like, but I somehow find this movie a bit pretentious and preachy. Been a long time since I've seen it last but I found this movie a bit overrated. It's best you see it for yourself. I will write a longer review the next time I see it. Expand
  17. Sep 17, 2013
    Great atmosphere of dystopia and dictatorship. Nice graphic novel-based story. I can call this movie uhh...inspirational. It convinces that everyone should fight for his rights and freedom.
  18. Aug 16, 2013
    MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME! Hugo Weaving is perfect as V, Natalie Portman is perfect as Evie Hammond and John Hurt is perfect as Adam Sutler. I am a very picky movie reviewer but this is a flawless movie!
  19. Aug 11, 2013
    an average adaption on an excellent book, the movie gives it an almost satirical spin opposite from the deep book, entertaining but nothing more then that
  20. Aug 1, 2013
    Not to be mistaken for a serious jab at political scrutiny, it is still an undeniably exhilarating vigilante thriller with enough wit and provocative dialogue to suffice.
  21. Jul 4, 2013
    "V for Vendetta" is a cinematic thrill ride that delivers both entertainment and thought provoking messages to those in the audience. Hugo Weaving's performance is phenomenal as is Natalie Portman's. The two main characters are surrounded with a cast of supporting characters that deliver performances that are worth remembering."V for Vendetta" is cinema at it's best. The movie is a"V for Vendetta" is a cinematic thrill ride that delivers both entertainment and thought provoking messages to those in the audience. Hugo Weaving's performance is phenomenal as is Natalie Portman's. The two main characters are surrounded with a cast of supporting characters that deliver performances that are worth remembering."V for Vendetta" is cinema at it's best. The movie is a beautifully delivered roller coaster ride consisting of some of the most eye popping action sequences, flawless acting, wonderful cinematography and extremely relevant messages about what mankind does when it is given power. All of these things add to why "V for Vendetta" is my favorite film. A try masterpiece delivered to us with both style and substance. Expand
  22. Jun 2, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic film! A modern classic in my opinion, with important, timeless themes. Natalie Portman is fantastic. Hugo Weaving owns; I love that we never get to see V's face.
  23. May 28, 2013
    Since V for Vendetta is my favorite movie of all time, I have to give it a 10 out of 10! I absolutely love the premise of the movie, as well as the script, plot, characters and dialogue. First of all, Hugo Weaving totally owns the role of V, he's sophisticated, intelligent and BAD ASS! V is such a lovable character with billions of lines that send a message about humanity. Then there'sSince V for Vendetta is my favorite movie of all time, I have to give it a 10 out of 10! I absolutely love the premise of the movie, as well as the script, plot, characters and dialogue. First of all, Hugo Weaving totally owns the role of V, he's sophisticated, intelligent and BAD ASS! V is such a lovable character with billions of lines that send a message about humanity. Then there's Natalie Portman as Evey Hammond, she was great to, she was believable and had that realism to her, she didn't over act or anything, she actually seemed like a normal woman who is taken under V's wing. The movie really sends a message about humanity, and this is what I think of it, when the public is out of control, they will do anything to re-establish a state of order, even if it means giving up rights, humanity will give in to anything. The movie also sends a message about human cruelty, the unfairness of life, and the consequences of genocide. Its an amazing movie with great characters, dialogue and plot. It will put your mind to the test, so if you want a hardcore action movie, you may not like V for Vendetta because its not action, its a political movie! So go watch this flawless masterpiece! Expand
  24. May 4, 2013
    I don't know if it was the cultural impact or the mixed religious outcries that people thought the film was portraying, but either way, V for Vendetta is definitely one of the most controversial, loved, hated but respected films in the last decade.
    Based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore, a man who disowned and does not acknowledge this film, the film is set in the not too distant future, when Britain is under a very fascist regime under the authority of High Chancellor Adam Sutler (John Hurt). The rest of the world is in turmoil with countless civil wars, yet the UK holds strong due to its dictatorship, there are curfews and sensors in place, Big Brother has its very own playground indeed.
    But there are of course those that are driven too far, and when Evey hammond (Natalie Portman) is rescued by a masked man simply known by the letter 'V' (Hugo Weaving), she begins to question everything she has ever known, while the Guy Fawkes fanatic V sets in motion a plan for Britain to free itself from the shackles of its worst enemy...itself.
    V has a past that is told throughout the film, and while we don't see his face, there is plenty of pain behind the mask, a wrong which he is hoping to right.
    As mentioned, the film is very central to the plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament by Guy Fawkes centuries before, something which he failed to do. V attempts to use this as a key to freeing the people of their repression, by giving them the power.
    Of course a film like this isn't without its controversies, which I do believe clouded a lot of the judgement of the film itself, its a dramatic, action and thriller oriented flick that will please those looking for a good struggle against politics, and this is perhaps why many hated it, there are plenty of coded messages within the film that do pick at events that have already occurred in a own very real world, but this isn't a political article, its a film review, and I thoroughly enjoyed this film, apart from the lighting was a tad out of touch and at times completely frustrating, but not a movie killer
    Natalie Portman gives a sound and emotional performance as Evey Hammond, but being over-shadowed by a man whose face we don't even see, but his voice literally does tell the story, Hugo Weaving. He commands the screen with his opening speech with enough v words to make you dizzy, but he also portrays a man on a mission. Stephen Rea gives an excellent performance as the torn detective Finch, who is never quite sure to admit what he believes to be true.
    It certainly gives all the signals of a political thriller, but for its fantastic final act, intriguing story and character development, V for Vendetta is a solid and enjoyable effort from the Wachowski brothers.
  25. Apr 20, 2013
    Based on the comic series by Vertigo (DC Comics Label) a movie with a gripping storyline, intense moments and a stupefying script is created by the Wachowski Brothers, foretelling a possible prophecy for future generations about totalitarian super-countries like America and Britain. Amazing twists and unsolved mysteries, coupled with the cunning and menacing freedom fighter V (HugoBased on the comic series by Vertigo (DC Comics Label) a movie with a gripping storyline, intense moments and a stupefying script is created by the Wachowski Brothers, foretelling a possible prophecy for future generations about totalitarian super-countries like America and Britain. Amazing twists and unsolved mysteries, coupled with the cunning and menacing freedom fighter V (Hugo Weaving) juxtaposed to the beautiful and extraordinary Eve (Natalie Portman) creates a movie that can be watched many times without getting old. Expand
  26. Mar 30, 2013
    V for Vendetta is a great film! Its light on action but heavy on delivering a message that's(while subjective to some but clear to others) thought provokingly deep and has excellent characters that you'll love(or hate). Hugo weaving..Natalie portman...John hurt...and Stephen rea are impressive throughout the movie!! Hugo weaving was just as smart as he was a dangerous killing machine whileV for Vendetta is a great film! Its light on action but heavy on delivering a message that's(while subjective to some but clear to others) thought provokingly deep and has excellent characters that you'll love(or hate). Hugo weaving..Natalie portman...John hurt...and Stephen rea are impressive throughout the movie!! Hugo weaving was just as smart as he was a dangerous killing machine while on his quest for vengeance while free Britain from a fascist government! Stephen rea almost steals the spotlight with an exceptional performance as Fitch! John hurts portrayal of chancellor Adam sadler was completely believable. Like most oppressive leaders...he's completely single-minded(and not in a good way) kills for what he believes is right regardless if its right or not and makes things disappear(including people) he finds offensives in any way!! Now evey(played by Ms.portman) was great as she finds herself inadvertently caught up in V's plan for vengeance/justice(well until she maces a police detective) Her backstory is both dramatic and tragic as V's which is why they work well with each other..both characters complimenting each others strengths while adding something to each other(V gives evey her the strength to live without fear while evey gives V reason to feel something other than hate..love!) Now the overall point/tone/nature of this film(while subjective to the viewers) is religion and an oppressive government meets a terrorist out for revenge AND justice so he can bring down a fascist government...confused? You should be because this is a movie remember...Now I wont say that V for Vendetta doesn't take political jabs at how government systems over step their boundaries(albeit extreme in this movie) but it raises the question of are we as a society being manipulated and controlled through fear(Tv) war and other tragedies that we as a society turn to a would be savior at the cost of our freedom? Should people be thrown in nazi-like camps...be tortured and experimented on like lab rats because their gay or lesbian...or speak out against their government? The religious and political undertones are quite strong but once again...this is just a movie. So I say this....if you are strongly religious or sensitive when it comes to religion or politics then steer clear of this movie because you will be offended!! And that's my point...I'm religious but do I think gays and lesbians should be punished or that they are disgusting? No..if that's who you are then so be it! Do I support terrorism? No!! But I will say this about V...was he really a terrioist? I don't think so...If anyone says he was then clearly you missed the point of his character to the point where Fitch(Stephen rea) says he isn't one and has a OVERWHELMING NEED to know who V was and why he was doing what he was doing because he eventually see's the connection with Saint Mary's tragedy...three waters incident and the party members V was killing and questions his government involvement in the deaths of all those people. Although nothing this extreme would happen(I hope not) in real life...V for Vendetta does hit home on a persons personal feelings and problems with a system of government..how it affects not just them but society as a whole...social conformity through the media and tapped phones....social ignorance(we follow but do not. question)strict religious beliefs...control through fear and panic etc..etc..The worst thing about this movie is its light on action so if your an action junkie..pass on this. Evey wasn't needed anymore after she survived V's torture as she's seen in several scenes just walking around until shes given a reason to be apart of the movie again at the end. This movie is a bit controversial in its approach to religion...fascism...social conformity...terrorism...sexual preference and acceptance of a persons preferred sexual choice and the complete domination of an entire country through surveillance...kidnapping..torture..scientific research and wanton murderer of thousands of people may cause an uproar(either good or bad) is only natural...so I will say this again....do not watch this movie if you are sensitive in your religious or political(both?) beliefs gay or lesbian or loves the Koran...you've been warned!! Great movie the wachowski brothers(I loved all three matrix movies) 9 out of 10!! Collapse
  27. Mar 12, 2013
    I remember when my sister bought Guy Fawks's mask for my birthday! This movie is just great! A wonderful and emotional action MUST WATCH! My score is 7/10
  28. Feb 8, 2013
    A deeply moving film. Good acting all around. Natalie Portman nails it every time. V is a very intriguing character. Though it was not so thought provoking it was highly entertaining. I'm glad to have seen it. Very well made. In a time where we have seen rebellions rise from literally nothing of consequence, the plot was not so implausible.
  29. Feb 3, 2013
    amazing, explosive, nuts and passionate. v for vendetta is a master work, that will make you mind explore. definitely not your eyes unglued from the screen
  30. Feb 1, 2013
    With a story that's as politically potent as it is brilliantly structured, "V For Vendetta" makes for an uncommonly enthralling action-thriller with a very salient point.
  31. Jan 24, 2013
    I absolutely loved it. Real world political innuendos aside, it is rather clever and does make you think. I'm sure mindless action fans must have hated it as the point will clearly go over their heads. It's no where near as good as the comic, but to be fair, for a movie adaptation it did the best it could within the time frame allotted to it. Overall: great movie that can be a little tooI absolutely loved it. Real world political innuendos aside, it is rather clever and does make you think. I'm sure mindless action fans must have hated it as the point will clearly go over their heads. It's no where near as good as the comic, but to be fair, for a movie adaptation it did the best it could within the time frame allotted to it. Overall: great movie that can be a little too pretentious at times. But I was highly entertained none the less. Expand
  32. Dec 30, 2012
    I loved this movie! Perfect example of what a movie should be. The story line was unpredictable, in a good way, and anyone who says it is not and that it is too unrealistic should consider watching this film again and actually pay attention.
  33. Dec 18, 2012
    This film turned out to be nothing like I thought it would, and that's a good thing. The performances were interesting, convincing, and my whole rating could easily be just for Hugo Weaving's amazing "V" monologue.
  34. Oct 8, 2012
    Definitely in my top 10 films. Excellent all around with rich characters and a story you will love watching to its final conclusion. V himself is the best character by far, not bad for a character that is limited to using his voice and body language only as his face is obscured by a mask!
  35. Jun 5, 2012
    amazing movie, love it !!!!
    and V and Evey are so awesome together, they bring out the best in each other, he makes her strong and she makes him a better person
  36. Jun 3, 2012
    Personally I reckon this is a must see film for anyone, the messages are deep the music choices are great, acting excellent and and even the films weakest points leaves many hollywood blockbusters in the dust.
    The film is a fantastic remake of the comic and has great re-watchability.
    The film is a fantastic remake of the comic and has great re-watchability.
    To be honest I would like to **** slap anybody who rated this a 5 or less, I can understand political and idealogical differences but most of the reasons I have read are either downright stupid, written by people who obviously never watched the film or by people that completely missed it's the point and message. If you have more than two brain cells to rub together this is a great film., if not might I direct you to transformers and twilight. instead
  37. Apr 30, 2012
    A satisfying watch. An original plot, John Hurt is excellent, as ever. Not just a good popcorn action / thriller movie, although it is that too, an effective satire on the current political apathy and paranoia of British Politics today. An outlandish cautionary tale, but cautionary tales are important still.
  38. Apr 27, 2012
    Fantastic, extremely well written, and the performances by the cast are outstanding, truly a must see, it causes you to think, will stick with you long after watching it, and conveys a message, a message that should be taught, believed in, and acted upon, and that message is "People shouldn't fear the Government, the Government should fear the people".
  39. Mar 24, 2012
    V per Vendetta è l'esempio perfetto di come fare un film tratto da un fumetto senza renderlo una mera commercialata o un'action tutta azione zero trama, zero spessore... Sono riusciti a trasmettere il messaggio che il fumetto voleva trasmetttere senza stravolgerne nessun angolo. E' un connubio perfetto tra fumetto e film. E senza considerare il fattto che è trattoV per Vendetta è l'esempio perfetto di come fare un film tratto da un fumetto senza renderlo una mera commercialata o un'action tutta azione zero trama, zero spessore... Sono riusciti a trasmettere il messaggio che il fumetto voleva trasmetttere senza stravolgerne nessun angolo. E' un connubio perfetto tra fumetto e film. E senza considerare il fattto che è tratto dal una graphic novel rimane comunque un film di tutto rispetto codibile da tutto il pubblico senza limitazioni agli appasionati di Moore. Expand
  40. Mar 17, 2012
    I didn't watch this movie for the political struggle and I didn't watch it 3 times after that because of the fantastically charming protagonist. I watched this because it poses ACTUAL moral dilemma's. What makes war just? Is violence an acceptable means of justice? Questions like these provoke thought and may even define the movie itself.
  41. Mar 16, 2012
    I really liked the movie. The plot was very interesting. The acting was good for the most part (I wasnt satisfied by some of the supporting cast). What hurt this movie was the poor action sequences, pathetic death scenes (such as in the final fight of the film), and the painfully obvious fake blood. It was a little disapointing imo. However, Its still a very solid movie that is well worthI really liked the movie. The plot was very interesting. The acting was good for the most part (I wasnt satisfied by some of the supporting cast). What hurt this movie was the poor action sequences, pathetic death scenes (such as in the final fight of the film), and the painfully obvious fake blood. It was a little disapointing imo. However, Its still a very solid movie that is well worth the watch. Expand
  42. Jan 26, 2012
    There are quite a lot of conflicting reviews on this film. I didn't read the graphic novel yet so I don't have the burden of seeing how they compared, all I know is that I enjoy this movie immensely every single time it is on. I can look at this movie as its own entity and I absolutely love it.
  43. Dec 14, 2011
    People like "KristinaS" down there make me want to blow my brains out. The movie is about the idea of true freedom. About questioning things and not just taking information that the government/news feed you (which you clearly don't do). This movie is one of my favourites and I don't know why it has such a low critic score. Probably because the critics are people like KristinaS down there...
  44. Oct 4, 2011
    Now, "V for Vendetta" here is a great example of how graphic novel-based books should be when made into a movie. The story is deeply involved into the movie as well as the characters and their significance. Natalie Portman especially does a exceptional, outstanding performance as V's girlfriend (?). Must watch!!!
  45. Mar 10, 2011
    Likable movie. The story was unique and at some points touching. I loved the twists and the games V planned for everyone. It was like he was the master of puppets :) And also, actors did their job very well.
  46. Mar 2, 2011
    I gave it an 8 only because it was much too violent in the end. I saw both the TV version, still somewhat violent, and cable not realizing it was the R version until well into the end. I thought it was a great film as it was not just original, directed and acted well, but I found it to be artsy. Usually Americans cannot execute or enjoy the artsy films like the Europeans can. It has aI gave it an 8 only because it was much too violent in the end. I saw both the TV version, still somewhat violent, and cable not realizing it was the R version until well into the end. I thought it was a great film as it was not just original, directed and acted well, but I found it to be artsy. Usually Americans cannot execute or enjoy the artsy films like the Europeans can. It has a message about people vs. governments but in a way that is not offensive. Expand
  47. Jan 22, 2011
    An enjoyable movie for those who want a bit of philosophy with their action. Weaving and Portman are phenominal, while the cinematography and mood are great. Though it is good, don't compare it to the graphic novel by Alan Moore(as many changes were made), nor look too deeply at the philosophy on hand. It is a middle ground film in ways, but I enjoyed the mix.
  48. Nov 17, 2010
    I thought this film was fantastic.
    I think that the way Hugo Weaving portrayed V without ever showing his face was a great testament to his ability as actor and Natalie Portman was great as well.
    The tone and setting is great as well and as a fan of dystopian film and literature, this film hooked me straight away.
  49. Nov 5, 2010
    Superb acting, really awesome lines, great action, and an effective political message. what more can you ask for?? This was really well done and there were scenes when i was like "yes!"
  50. Aug 27, 2010
    This blast of subversive pop cinema is a thrill ride from beginning to end, and probably stands as the best film adaptation of all Alan Moore's work. However, the production is both propelled and impaired by the Wachowski Brothers' influence - the stylized violence is bound to be campy in a few years' time and the dramatic storyline is carried too much by actors with the same seriousThis blast of subversive pop cinema is a thrill ride from beginning to end, and probably stands as the best film adaptation of all Alan Moore's work. However, the production is both propelled and impaired by the Wachowski Brothers' influence - the stylized violence is bound to be campy in a few years' time and the dramatic storyline is carried too much by actors with the same serious deadpan British accent (hearing just audio, I doubt I'd be able to differentiate the voices.) Still, in the end, the movie gives us exactly what we want - controversy, an awesome antihero, and a huge, giant explosion. Expand
  51. RobWheeler
    Sep 3, 2009
    Blimey, there's some scathing comments there. I really enjoyed this film, maybe more so because I treated it as a work of fiction and didn't draw comparisons between it and the real world. A good storyline, decent enough acting, some fine visuals and some good plot twists made good viewing.
  52. IainW
    Aug 1, 2009
    This is the one film i have ever seen, that has taken a comic, altered it and come out with a good result at the end, the changes are subtle to make the film better, judging by the low reviews from "professional" American critics it is obvious they don't appreciate the subtle intelligence that Alan Moore wove into the original story, "people should not be afraid of their government, This is the one film i have ever seen, that has taken a comic, altered it and come out with a good result at the end, the changes are subtle to make the film better, judging by the low reviews from "professional" American critics it is obvious they don't appreciate the subtle intelligence that Alan Moore wove into the original story, "people should not be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people". Expand
  53. jamesm
    Jul 8, 2009
    Great movie, great action, and many philosophical ideas and concepts have been used to show us what a future world will look like. LOVE the ending, it can be translated and taken many different ways.
  54. BrandonM
    Jul 4, 2009
    Excellent Movie, Best message and a peak of what may be a visible future for America. Watch it twice.
  55. KristinaS
    Apr 6, 2009
    The film won
  56. KerryL.
    Mar 8, 2009
    After reading the posts on the site, I felt inclined to put in my two cents. V was a fine movie, but as with any movie, it had flaws. The biggest flaw was Natalie Portman. She was poorly cast; the role seemed too big for her. The rest of the actors did an amazing job, especially Hugo Weaving even though you never see his face. The British actors did an excellent job, as they almost always After reading the posts on the site, I felt inclined to put in my two cents. V was a fine movie, but as with any movie, it had flaws. The biggest flaw was Natalie Portman. She was poorly cast; the role seemed too big for her. The rest of the actors did an amazing job, especially Hugo Weaving even though you never see his face. The British actors did an excellent job, as they almost always do. The film has a fine plot, but it took entirely too much depth out of the novel. The film could have been about half an hour longer and been much better. What is very interesting about the story is that despite being written more than twenty years ago, it remains relevant today. Although not as good as it could have been, it is definitely worth watching. A mature audience which is not letting its political biases cloud its judgments will enjoy the film for what it is: a good action film, with a quality story. Expand
  57. ChrisSelwa
    Feb 9, 2009
    The voting tells you more about people than the film.
    The story is a powerful one showing a future in which right wing extremism goes well, to extremes. The rankings seem less about the movie more about the readers reaction to the consequences of extremism in the state.
    The voting tells you more about people than the film.

I did not find the plot that unbelieveable, rather a bit too close to reality for comfort. Plagues like that are conceivable. Medi manipulation like that is conceivble. And the masses well we were led after September 11th weren't we?

The way it critises those who hate for race or religious reasons...I can well understand their reactions to this movie. Better a backlash against the movie rather than one at ourselves.

10. Its novel. Its clever. No other movie like it. ...but its definatly not Superman saves the world.
  58. SylvokA
    Jan 11, 2009
    Was an alright movie, not the best ever made but one I still dont mind watching. Also side note, but did anyone else notice a large amount of the negative reviews seem to be copy-pasted. I think this got freepered at one point.
  59. Dan
    Dec 6, 2008
    One of my favorite movies. I understand why some didn't enjoy this movie, but for me everything really came together. The story may be "juvenile" in terms of politics, but maybe it needs to be so that more people can understand it. Moving, and politically motivating. Take the chance if you are on the edge, it really is phenomenal.
  60. HarryF.
    Nov 4, 2008
    This is an amazing film, great characters, lots of action, but at times it is also very dark and political, and even humourous at times. You will like the characters in this film, especially V, who is impossible not to like.
  61. AnonymousMC
    Oct 27, 2008
    The 2006 movie V for Vendetta is an intelligent, action packed, political thrill ride. The movie is based on the David Lloyd graph novel. The Wachowski Brothers (The Matrix) wrote the screen play and James McTeigue directed this great movie. V for Vendetta takes place in a near future Great Britain with a totalitarian regime in power. The theme that portrayed throughout the movie is thatThe 2006 movie V for Vendetta is an intelligent, action packed, political thrill ride. The movie is based on the David Lloyd graph novel. The Wachowski Brothers (The Matrix) wrote the screen play and James McTeigue directed this great movie. V for Vendetta takes place in a near future Great Britain with a totalitarian regime in power. The theme that portrayed throughout the movie is that the people should not be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of its people. The main character Evey Hammond (Nathalie Portman) is a working class woman who gets mixed up with the mysterious freedom fighter/terrorist known only as V. The man in the Guy Fox mask is played by Hugo Weaving (Mr. Smith in The Matrix). V wants nothing more than to topple the unjust and controlling totalitarian regime by any means necessary which brings up many ethical dilemmas throughout the movie. Symbolism is a huge part of the movie and is coupled with intelligent dialogue and allows for an intellectually rewarding experience. Nathalie Portman delivers a good acting performance and really goes all the way with shaving her head. Hugo Weaving delivers as well with the difficult situation of having to act without any facial expression and exclusively using tone of voice and hand gestures. Overall V for Vendetta satisfies your pallet for intelligent storyline, thrilling action sequences, and creative acting that keeps you engaged for the entire two hours of movie magic. Expand
  62. David
    Oct 17, 2008
    An all-around dreadful film. Terrible dialogue, subpar acting, wrapped in a story filled with absurd, juvenile politics with obvious and obligatory nods to the present-day "War on Terror" for easily amused critics to fawn over. Provoked no emotional or visceral reaction from me, other than laughter at its banality, and when it ended, astonishment at how such garbage could be so widelyAn all-around dreadful film. Terrible dialogue, subpar acting, wrapped in a story filled with absurd, juvenile politics with obvious and obligatory nods to the present-day "War on Terror" for easily amused critics to fawn over. Provoked no emotional or visceral reaction from me, other than laughter at its banality, and when it ended, astonishment at how such garbage could be so widely praised. If you're out of high school, and like good films, pass on this. Expand
  63. LD
    Jun 27, 2008
    You people are crazy. Whether some people believe it or not, movies affect and move people. When I get done watching what I believe to be a great movie, I get a great feeling after watching it. And that's what I felt after this one. One of the best stories I've seen out of Hollywood so far. LOVE IT!
  64. EdwardD.
    Jun 24, 2008
    This film is the best that I have ever laid my eyes on. I have seen it over 16 times and i could still see it more. It includes violence, blood shed, action, romance and yet retains it British touch of class. V the main character choses to use words over weapons and uses weapons only to insure his words get through to his audience. But brilliantly this movie differs to the stereotypical This film is the best that I have ever laid my eyes on. I have seen it over 16 times and i could still see it more. It includes violence, blood shed, action, romance and yet retains it British touch of class. V the main character choses to use words over weapons and uses weapons only to insure his words get through to his audience. But brilliantly this movie differs to the stereotypical category that super hero films seem unable to claw it way out of. But the first time I watched this movie I thought, why the hell didn't I get to see his face. But this movie dose not show its main characters face. It leaves an opening for the audience to create there idea of "V" and his physical appearance. Every time I watch this movie I love it even more. The fact that you fo not even see the main characters face is a testament to it differentialness from any other hero film. This movie also manages to turn an evil terrorist "V" and tells his story so poetically that you feel how he feels, you see what I see" and yes that was a line from the film. Also the use of words in this movie is perfect. The way that every single speech has been carved into a perfect statue that represents his anger and disobedience against this extreme right wing political party. Those are the reasons for why I love V for Vendetta so much, that I would be willing to defend it to the hill and keep my conscious clean. Expand
  65. JohnM.
    Jun 22, 2008
    A deeply flawed yet deeply beautiful movie. Its reach exceeds its grasp, and only scratches the surface of the problems, principles and conundrums it purports to engage with, but as a stirring visual poem on our occasional responsibility to be irresponsible, it satisfies and stirs. Don't expect to be challenged, but don't expect to be talked down to either. Personally I'm A deeply flawed yet deeply beautiful movie. Its reach exceeds its grasp, and only scratches the surface of the problems, principles and conundrums it purports to engage with, but as a stirring visual poem on our occasional responsibility to be irresponsible, it satisfies and stirs. Don't expect to be challenged, but don't expect to be talked down to either. Personally I'm glad to see a story such as this given the pop culture treatment, and mercifully lose relatively little. The dialogue leaves much to be desired, but V's monologues are superb, and Weaving's ability to connect from behind a mask is commendable. My only real objection is that the Beautiful Lesbian Love Story gets ten glorious minutes, while the male-on-male Mapplethorpe pictures get all of three seconds from an obscure angle :) (Also, anyone who makes kneejerk references to this as "liberal, leftist" propaganda clearly doesn't know what either of those words mean, and would probably be the perfect constituent for the movie's dictator!). Expand
  66. DangerB.
    May 6, 2008
    Love this movie. I suspect all the people that hated it get their news from Limbaugh and O'Riley.
  67. JanmikS.
    Apr 28, 2008
    Very very impressive. Takes note of deeper issues unlike the other plotless, cutaneous movies that resort to overused plot devices.
  68. MarkD.
    Apr 17, 2008
    Acting, plot, and story are excellent. Ending tops it off perfectly. Couldn't have asked for more...
  69. JasonD
    Apr 16, 2008
    A waste of time. Tries too many directions at once: arthouse, action entertainment, and moral message. Without any clear direction it failed to make sense or even entertain. I can give up the money for a rental, but I felt robbed of my time.
  70. RobbieO.
    Apr 15, 2008
    A very good movie with movie twists and suspenseful action
  71. RacA.
    Mar 4, 2008
    This was a readlly good movie! i recommend it to everyone!
  72. ZachB.
    Mar 3, 2008
    This is by far the most down to the point movie I have watched.
  73. PaulW.
    Feb 27, 2008
    A completely farcical take on Orwell's 1984 with one of the worst 'acting performances' by Natalie Portman to date. Superficiality of characters, plot and politics and not even in a entertaining way. Special mention must go to the cringe worthy script with a fetish for sophomore-level alliteration starting with the letter 'v'. In short, the perfect film for a A completely farcical take on Orwell's 1984 with one of the worst 'acting performances' by Natalie Portman to date. Superficiality of characters, plot and politics and not even in a entertaining way. Special mention must go to the cringe worthy script with a fetish for sophomore-level alliteration starting with the letter 'v'. In short, the perfect film for a general acclaim and fit to shelve next to other recent entries in the IMDb top250 such as Million Dollar Baby, Children of Men and Labirinto del Fauno which most dreadfully shows the abysmal decline in good taste and cinematic appreciation which is sweeping the Earth like a virus. Expand
  74. JohnL.
    Nov 4, 2007
    V for Vendetta is one of the greatest comics book hero movies of all time and the greatest movie of the 21st Century.
  75. ColbyS.
    Jul 1, 2007
    I was expecting a lot better, maybe. It turned out to be a liberal, leftist propaganda vehicle first, story second. The only good press it got was from mainly liberal publications. Go figure. Beyond my disagreement with the beliefs expressed, this could've been made so much better, as the concept could've been riveting. Instead it was boring as all hell and preachy to boot.
  76. WilliamY.
    Jun 13, 2007
    Complex, yet down to earth, this movie combines great vocabulary with great ideas and some awesome actions scenes, even though the Washington post says it's hard to connect with a masked figure, we all know what he was for and really how he felt on the topic. I found this to be my all time favorite movie and I have watched TONS of movies.
  77. CarlW.
    May 21, 2007
    This movie IS thought provoking. Many critics caught up in the rush to elitism brand this as oversimplistic, shallow, and irresponsible. I am delighted to have an alternative to "The Hills Have Eyes 5" and "Saw 12" Evidently some critics wouldn't know shallow, and irresponsible if it bit them on the ass.
  78. ChadSwee
    May 16, 2007
    V for Vendetta, an action movie from the Wachowski Brothers (the matrix trilogy), is a film that ultimately doesn't live up to the expectations i had for it. Revenge seems to be in every blockbuster movie nowadays, and V for Vendetta is no exception, hence the word "Vendetta" in the title. The acting is nothing to brag about. Natalie Portman plays Evey and shows no talent whatsoever.V for Vendetta, an action movie from the Wachowski Brothers (the matrix trilogy), is a film that ultimately doesn't live up to the expectations i had for it. Revenge seems to be in every blockbuster movie nowadays, and V for Vendetta is no exception, hence the word "Vendetta" in the title. The acting is nothing to brag about. Natalie Portman plays Evey and shows no talent whatsoever. Evey accomponies V, the masked man, for the majority of the film. Hugo Weaving plays the role of V, and since he is behind a mask the entire movie his acting skills aren't displayed. However, what V for Vendetta lacks in acting talent it compensates for with a good futuristic story, one that is full of cover-ups, wars, and government corruption. The action is fairly weak, especially when being compared to the matrix trilogy, but it's satisfying enough. Lastly, the directing is on par with any other movie out to date, nothing is fancy or dull about how it was directed. Overall V for Vendetta is an above average film, but could have potentially been better. To put it simply it wasn't a film i regretted watching, but it isn't a film i will brag over. On a scale of one to ten, five being average, i would give V for Vendetta a six. Expand
  79. Brent
    May 4, 2007
    One of the best, if not THE best movie, I have ever seen. Perfect blend of action and philosophy and politics.
  80. RobinJ.
    Apr 21, 2007
    I enjoyed the film. Portmans performance is great but Hugo Weaving speaks to dramatically. It was as if V was trying to make himself sound dangerous and intelligent. Evey didn't seem to play an important part in the film but just stay around V and blow up the parliment for him. Nontheless the idea that V stresses speaks for itself.
  81. Mithyus
    Mar 25, 2007
    And ideas, Mr. Creedy, are petty-rants, complex verbous babbling criticts -proof.
  82. MichaelA.
    Mar 17, 2007
    A Very fine, well planned, and Virtuous film. The foreshadowing was utterly brilliant and Hugo WeaVing and Natalie Portman made this moVie one of the greatest I'Ve eVer seen!! It has a perfect mix of action, drama, mystery, twists, and turns. An astounding moVie! Remember, remember, the fifth of NoVember!
  83. DavidHammer
    Feb 21, 2007
    Scarcely a single redeeming quality. Managed to see that other piece-of-shit juvenile myopic lefty vision of a future fascist dystopia Britain Children of Men for I saw this (for the record, I'm left-wing too), but this one, although too calamitously silly to be as bland as the aforementioned film, takes biscuit in the laughable stakes. Jurn Hurt LITERALLY has the same expression onScarcely a single redeeming quality. Managed to see that other piece-of-shit juvenile myopic lefty vision of a future fascist dystopia Britain Children of Men for I saw this (for the record, I'm left-wing too), but this one, although too calamitously silly to be as bland as the aforementioned film, takes biscuit in the laughable stakes. Jurn Hurt LITERALLY has the same expression on his face every time we see him (while he's alive). Portman spends the film sitting in people's living rooms and being tortured and generally struggling to conjure up an convincing facial expression (why is this woman allowed to work in film?), Weaving talks in awkward, pretentious riddles, and stabs people.

It didn't seem possible that the Wachowski Bros could something more cringemakingly awful than the Matrix Revolutions, but it appears they have truely outdone themselves.
  84. DavidH.
    Feb 10, 2007
    V was a very good film, anyone giving it less than a 7, not only came in midway through the film, but is over critical of the great performances given by Portman and Weaving.
  85. ReidF.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Although based on a graphic novel, this is anything but a vapid action film. In fact, there is a stretch in the middle that deliberately moves quite slowly, but instead of being bored, I was drawn to its beauty and elegance. Combining politics, action, and intrigue, this is a new breed of film, and I hope they make more like it.
  86. TomS.
    Jan 25, 2007
    Over the top trash unbelievable trash. Revolution? I'd like to see what happens next... It's tried to be too clever. Theres nothing to tell us why the government has seemingly gone crazy and decided to shout at everyone... ;Portman's performance is awful, not sure anyone who has reviewed this is English but to me its pretty blatant from the start her voice is dodgy . Silly Over the top trash unbelievable trash. Revolution? I'd like to see what happens next... It's tried to be too clever. Theres nothing to tell us why the government has seemingly gone crazy and decided to shout at everyone... ;Portman's performance is awful, not sure anyone who has reviewed this is English but to me its pretty blatant from the start her voice is dodgy . Silly action sequences where V can withstand 5 billion bullets. Doesn't make you think. Sound is bland. Anything else? Oh yes, its all very well blowing buildings up but it really won't sort anything out. I can see that humankind is supposed to be united under tragedies like oppression but this just wouldn't happen. Not even in a world where people where gimpy masks. There is a reason for law! Anarchy in the UK? No thanks. It's more of a personal thing to express oneself in a rebellious and sometimes stupid way but this film captures what the UK would be like if everyone had taken crack and then decided to terrorize parliament. Ridiculous! Probably the worst film I have seen since Revolver! 1 star because the DVD didn't break. Expand
  87. PeterM.
    Jan 19, 2007
    V for Vendetta is not a perfect movie, but considering the fact that it is very exciting and still manages to deliver a meaningful, relevant message is commendable. It is a shame that because of the political climate in the country it is being overlooked for serious recognition.
  88. David
    Nov 25, 2006
    Very good indeed. It's not often that films that are not explicity marketed as "think pieces" generate some serious thought. For the attentive viewer, there's enough heavyweight material in here to dwell on for days. I feel that Brits will particularly enjoy this film, but it also appeals to (dare I say) a mass audience. As V comments, ideas are hard to kill, and my mind was Very good indeed. It's not often that films that are not explicity marketed as "think pieces" generate some serious thought. For the attentive viewer, there's enough heavyweight material in here to dwell on for days. I feel that Brits will particularly enjoy this film, but it also appeals to (dare I say) a mass audience. As V comments, ideas are hard to kill, and my mind was seething with them following my viewing. Add to that, it was a thrilling ride to boot. This is a film made by a professional. V is particulary captivating, and has a keen sense of timing for an apt literary quote. Add to that the attention to detail and subtle presentation. There's some very subtle splicing of modern day issues (and newsreel) into the film, presented as "history". Very good indeed. Expand
  89. BenW.
    Sep 23, 2006
    This has to be my favorite movie of all time! It has a great twist to it, if you liked the first Matrix, then you will love this movie!
  90. EricD.
    Sep 17, 2006
    This movie did have it's share of flaws, most do, but I enjoyed it more than just about anything that I've seen in the last year. It is super relevant, in my opinion, to what is going on in the U.S. right now.
  91. RP
    Sep 16, 2006
    A truly fantastic thriller/sci-fi, that was not only captivating, but featured mesmerizing performances by Weaving and Portman and was thought-provoking as well.
  92. JonathanC.
    Sep 16, 2006
    It was better to me than the Matrix. It was very political but it was played very well. I think the letter scene could have been done better.
  93. walterg
    Sep 8, 2006
    I believe this film is the first film in a long long time that has made me really think about my place in society....How far do we go to defend our rights as human beings?...How far do you go to save the lives of your fellow man?
  94. PatC.
    Sep 6, 2006
    I give it credit for expressing its own art. Nonetheless it remains a political thriller without all that stressful intrigue and zing.
  95. AmurabiM.
    Sep 4, 2006
    This is first rate entertaiment. The kind of pop art that entertains, made us think and amuses us for its collection of ideas and unlimited imagery. James McTeigue´s first effort (of "The Matrix" gang) is just a big exercise of uncompromising fillmmaking. Its great to watch a film that masked in the label of action entertainment displays a powerful message of freedom. After see "V This is first rate entertaiment. The kind of pop art that entertains, made us think and amuses us for its collection of ideas and unlimited imagery. James McTeigue´s first effort (of "The Matrix" gang) is just a big exercise of uncompromising fillmmaking. Its great to watch a film that masked in the label of action entertainment displays a powerful message of freedom. After see "V for Vendetta", everyone thinks about the responsability in the process of actual living: are we members of the mass? libertarians? opressors? what part we play? This is the kind of ideas that this unique film develops. With its message hidden in the form of standard thriller (with a bunch of symbolisms and philosophical reflections), "V for Vendetta" gives us, too, great pleasure to be distracted. This is not escapism, or, better, is the collection of anarchisms wrapped up in the way of escapism. "V for Vendetta" has a clear sense of Orwell and a thought about totalitarian regimes, but the great failure in the film is the waste of time to represent this ideas and make them "swallowable" to teenage audiences that watch the film as an action flick, so the whole intention of being incendiary is just forgotten by the masses that in the film are portrayed. But, what if only one person goes out of the cinema making an exercise of personal reflection about its own freedom? That doesn´t mean that someone could walk out of the Cineplex to make a bomb and blow up the Oval Office, but, just (and I think that is the only purpose of the movie) think about the part we play in this society. For a film that looks inicuous and not too big, that powerful message is a thing to get honored. Expand
  96. CherylC.
    Sep 4, 2006
    Decent acting. Sophomoric attempt at political philosophy. Actually, just plain stupid when all said and done.
  97. StephanieV.
    Sep 4, 2006
    In a country filled with "sheep"; I think this film was an excellent way to deliver a very pointed warning about the fear mongering and wars that are used to influence public opinion and line the pockets of the wealthy.
  98. MichaelL.
    Sep 3, 2006
    I really liked this movie--despite myself. I expected a dumbed down comic book adaptation (I'm so sick of comic book adaptations--is this the best Hollywood can come up with?) and was treated to a surprisingly thought-provoking and amazingy topical politcal tale. Great perfromances all around; Natalie Portman proves her multi-leveled "Closer" performance wasn't a fluke (and I really liked this movie--despite myself. I expected a dumbed down comic book adaptation (I'm so sick of comic book adaptations--is this the best Hollywood can come up with?) and was treated to a surprisingly thought-provoking and amazingy topical politcal tale. Great perfromances all around; Natalie Portman proves her multi-leveled "Closer" performance wasn't a fluke (and erases her cardboard "Star Wars" acting from memory once and for all). Critics may call the message of this film simplistic--but I'm thrilled to see a film aimed at a young demographic with any message at all besides "wow, aren't these effects awesome?". There's enough action to interest the MTV attention span generation, enough pyrotechnics to thrill the techno geeks, and most important, enough cautionary tale to resonate with those who actually have a brain in their head. A neat film with a wonderful mantra: People shouldn't fear their Government, the Government should fear the people. Expand
  99. SteveT.
    Aug 28, 2006
    I have documented proof that Guy Fawkes wore a Hugo Weaving mask (just kidding). This was a very exciting movie. Hugo Weaving was fantastic even though his face was never seen. I don't think that the imbedded story about the Lesbian love affair adding anything essential to the plot. Neither did the slow-mo blood letting. The basic story itself made an excellent point about I have documented proof that Guy Fawkes wore a Hugo Weaving mask (just kidding). This was a very exciting movie. Hugo Weaving was fantastic even though his face was never seen. I don't think that the imbedded story about the Lesbian love affair adding anything essential to the plot. Neither did the slow-mo blood letting. The basic story itself made an excellent point about surrendering freedom under fear. It happened in Germany 70 years. I hope it never happens here. Expand
  100. JimT.
    Aug 23, 2006
    Lets keep it real folks. The movie / comic book is obviously and homage to 1984. Considering when the original comic came out and how near the world was to becoming 1984 it was very timely. 20 years in the future and we are facing the same problems. If your looking for mindless entertainment I suggest standing in line waiting to get on a plane. If you would like a movie with a point V is perfect.

The explosive V for Vendetta is powered by ideas that are not computer-generated. It's something rare in Teflon Hollywood: a movie that sticks with you.
  2. Viewers expecting a thrill ride might be disappointed. V engages in a couple of satisfying crime-fighting set pieces, but the story is more occupied with mystery and intrigue. Happily, it almost is entirely free of the hollow pomposity that marred the Wachowskis' last two "Matrix" films.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    It's a terrific movie. I love the look and the verve of the thing, the confidence of its epic design, its smart use of half a dozen noted British thesps, lending weight and wit to the supporting roles.