8.1

1. Sep 9, 2014
    Very good horror movie to watch!!! Vacancy not only keeps you on the edge of your seat but it also manages to suck you in and keep you interested every step of the way. I loved it.
  2. Jul 16, 2014
    Vacancy is an intense thriller with stylish scares and visuals. Vacancy will surprise you and captivate
    you with its refreshing style and plot. One of the best thrillers in years.
  3. May 25, 2014
    The movie vacancy is not bad but i was expecting better because there was not enough action and when there was action Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale were always trying to escape.But i like it
  4. Feb 15, 2014
    Vacancy is horrific, as well as scary, violent, and mysterious. It was okay, I'll say that. I had no complaints with this film but to me-- this film was just okay.
  5. Nov 1, 2013
    Hungarian director Nimród Antal’s debut was screened at the Prix Un Certain Regard of the Cannes Film Festival 2003 and with the suspense horror Vacancy, he establishes himself as a hope for future European independent cinema. This rather short Hitchock homage does have an A-list cast, including Kate Beckinsale, Luke Wilson, and Frank Whaley, but as we’ve seen well enough in the last couple of years, that alone doesn’t make for a good horror movie. Vacancy proves otherwise though, and impresses with never-ending thrill, creditable and genuine acting, and a completely rational story.
    After the nicely designed title sequence, the movie commences without any digressions, but it will take some time to completely grasp the situation. The screenplay deftly includes the needed information into the everyday dialogues of the two protagonists and knows just how much exposition is enough. Through that, the actual horror can quickly kick in and after not even 20 minutes, you’ll already have goosebumps and hands tied to the chair. The macabre game can begin and a difficult to watch assemblage of snuff films is followed by a nocturnal chase through an isolated motel, which doesn’t always omit clichés but conceals them through the director’s original and unpredictable ideas. However, the greatest asset stays the almost unendurable suspense, which makes for such an uncomfortable viewing that on one side, you’ll want to quit the movie and on the other, keeps you hooked in front of the TV.
    The movie completely lays down all horror stereotypes in its final act by staging it in sunlight, and it may for a moment seem that it degenerates into the bizarre. Fortunately, that’s not the case, and Antal stirs up a mysterious open end that is without equal. As the credits start in the style of the title sequence, you’ll not only be relieved to stop shivering, but also exhilarated to have ultimately seen a really great horror movie.
  6. May 1, 2013
    I honestly want to rate it higher, but I can not! This movie was a totally average thriller, that is not really better than any other boring, ''we have seen this before'' horror/thrillers. The actors were not that bad I have to mention that, but they were nothing outstanding...Maybe a rent worthy survival/slasher.
  7. Jun 16, 2012
    Must resist 'Psycho' motel references. *cough* Oh, hi. I didn't see you there. Anywayz, 'Vacancy' is... well, rather average. It's not so much of a bad film as it is pretty boring. It neither expands the genre nor offers anything new or fresh. The acting performances were alright (at best) but these lead actors weren't exactly believable as a married couple which repelled me from further from enjoying the movie. The production values are cheap but that simply might have been the intention to further point out that this isn't the Hilton Hotel by any stretch. Expand
  8. Mar 10, 2012
    Was actually pretty good. The cast was solid, The story was interesting. Its a good suspensful movie that is well worth the watch imo. I really liked it.
  9. Dec 26, 2011
    To put it plain and simple, This is horror. Vacancy not only keeps you on the edge of your seat but it also manages to suck you in and keep you interested every step of the way. I loved it.
  10. Nov 18, 2011
    Good acting, good pacing, well filmed and an interesting idea. Not that memorable though, I mean its not the kind of film you're gonna watch over and over again, or even twice. I'm only watching it again now as it happens to be on TV and I'm wondering why it doesn't blow me away. I think it's because it's so far fetched. View to a kill's starting now on another channel and I'll be switching over. Vacancy is THAT kind of movie Expand
  11. Aug 23, 2010
    Unhappy couple get lost taking a short cut, car breaks down, stay at a motel in the middle of nowhere, strange owner, etc
    It sort of tries to be a bit Hitchcock-esque with the torture genre thrown in but just comes out as a predictable, cliched nonsense of a film which is very thin on ideas & originality.
    Shame really because I quite like Luke Wilson.

1. If "Psycho" and "Peeping Tom" are the seminal killer-as-voyeur movies, Vacancy is the nasty little runt offspring with no other purpose in life but to gnaw on you.
  2. While the sadism doesn't stoop -- rise? -- to the level of the "Saw" horror-thrillers, Vacancy does have a name cast.
  3. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    At the risk of spoiling anything, Vacancy, is one strange movie. It ends so precipitously, one can only assume it's a setup for the sequel (which, given all that happens, seems a mite unlikely).