Valhalla Rising

5.8

1. Mar 28, 2012
    It's one of those films that you feel cheated by when the credits roll. The time invested does not seem worth it even though there were some good elements in the film. Visually it is striking and full of depth. Thematically it is dull. Because the film demands itself to be interpreted because of nearly every word of it's dialogue being thematic the film should be expected to be deep andIt's one of those films that you feel cheated by when the credits roll. The time invested does not seem worth it even though there were some good elements in the film. Visually it is striking and full of depth. Thematically it is dull. Because the film demands itself to be interpreted because of nearly every word of it's dialogue being thematic the film should be expected to be deep and full of depth. However it is not. The film try's to make you like it by being confused by it but when you break it down there is not much to it unlike Hezog's aguirre which is quite similar to this film in story themes and visuals in a way. Expand
  2. May 27, 2013
    Posted on 5/19/13 06:55 PM
    I don't know I feel about this film I really like the way Refn films violence you know stylish and all i I even like the silence in his films. But this film borders the line between a slow pace and boring, I'll give it 3 and a half stars just because I admire the way he made the film have a certain feel to it ,a violent Opera is the best way to describe it.
  3. Jul 21, 2014
    Creepy film about a Killer from 1000 years ago in the Viking Mountains, who finds some Christian Crusaders looking to find Jerusalem but after a Mist find America...

The feel of the film is more Real, like from the 70's, and the scariness of new lands and strange things is inherent in the film...

VERDICT: IT WAS REAL/45 OUT OF 100

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Valhalla Rising gets into your mind and stays there. You can argue what, if anything, it's trying to say, but it is impressive cinema.
  2. When it comes to crazy, violent, semidelirious, testosterone-laden, proto-Viking tales about a mute visionary one-eyed warrior who breaks skulls, Valhalla Rising is pretty great.
    Valhalla Rising is nothing more than an updated version of the kind of time-honored Hollywood Viking movie Kirk Douglas used to do in his sleep, which means lots of inhuman, bone-crunching violence and no plot.