5.7

1. Feb 19, 2012
    One of the best movies i've seen. A complex and relaxing masterpiece, with a great ambience and great music. Mads Mikkelsen does a great performance, and the ending is beautiful. Pure cinema.
  2. Dec 18, 2011
    One of the best films I have ever, ever watched. The lack of dialogue gives much time for you to immerse yourself into a dreamlike sequence and let your mind ponder on what is occurring. Very abstract, very different, VERY visually compelling, and the acting was top notch. It was also extremely realistic, portraying the time period perfectly. I felt like I was watching a moving painting.One of the best films I have ever, ever watched. The lack of dialogue gives much time for you to immerse yourself into a dreamlike sequence and let your mind ponder on what is occurring. Very abstract, very different, VERY visually compelling, and the acting was top notch. It was also extremely realistic, portraying the time period perfectly. I felt like I was watching a moving painting. Thank you, Netflix. Expand
  3. Jan 5, 2012
    Not everyone will understand or appreciate this movie; it's definitely not for everyone. Valhalla Rising is rife with Norse mythology and interesting metaphors (caveat emptor: the metaphors will be lost on those who lack understanding or knowledge of Norse culture and mythology and the history of the time period). The action and landscape sequences are beautifully shot; albeit the movieNot everyone will understand or appreciate this movie; it's definitely not for everyone. Valhalla Rising is rife with Norse mythology and interesting metaphors (caveat emptor: the metaphors will be lost on those who lack understanding or knowledge of Norse culture and mythology and the history of the time period). The action and landscape sequences are beautifully shot; albeit the movie moves at a pace slower than many current movie-goers can handle. Overall a great commentary on Christianity's influence on pagan cultures and its misuse of religion to further misguided conversions of those cultures it deemed "pagan" and uncivilized. The irony of the ending is likely lost on many viewers as well. Expand
  4. Jul 3, 2012
    You must appreciate the art of film making and foreign film to appreciate this one , which i did very much. I critic if anyone actually watched this movie or much less any film without the hollywood circle.

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Valhalla Rising gets into your mind and stays there. You can argue what, if anything, it's trying to say, but it is impressive cinema.
  2. When it comes to crazy, violent, semidelirious, testosterone-laden, proto-Viking tales about a mute visionary one-eyed warrior who breaks skulls, Valhalla Rising is pretty great.
    Valhalla Rising is nothing more than an updated version of the kind of time-honored Hollywood Viking movie Kirk Douglas used to do in his sleep, which means lots of inhuman, bone-crunching violence and no plot.