6.2

1. fantasy
    Jan 2, 2009
    The movie is definitely skillfully done. It captures the era of the 1940's perfectly from the phonograph to the typewriter. However there's one basic flaw in the entire movie. There were 14 failed assassinations against Hitler before this one. Does anyone truly believe that you could bring anything near Hitler without the SS checking? We know Hitler was insane, but stupid, The movie is definitely skillfully done. It captures the era of the 1940's perfectly from the phonograph to the typewriter. However there's one basic flaw in the entire movie. There were 14 failed assassinations against Hitler before this one. Does anyone truly believe that you could bring anything near Hitler without the SS checking? We know Hitler was insane, but stupid, never. You have to suspend all intelligence at the door to buy into this as it is never discussed or explained. Expand
  2. Aaron
    Dec 26, 2008
    Tom strikes out again. Where's the big boom?
  3. Oct 7, 2010
    Tom Cruise is just really bad in this film and at points it verges on comedy. E.g The telephone call bits where it keeps being past on. We all know the story and yet there are no little details that are mildly interesting or exciting and after half an hour you can't wait until Cruise is put in front of that firing squad. Oh Dear Tom, Oh Dear.
  4. RandyA
    Dec 25, 2008
    A movie about something so gloomy as a failed assassination attempt on one of history's most notorious genocidal maniacs should be reason enough for this movie to not do well at the box office. The problem for me is that the movie fails at feeling as though it has the strength that other great bigraphical films has had. And where it falls down is that Tom Cruise is in the presence of A movie about something so gloomy as a failed assassination attempt on one of history's most notorious genocidal maniacs should be reason enough for this movie to not do well at the box office. The problem for me is that the movie fails at feeling as though it has the strength that other great bigraphical films has had. And where it falls down is that Tom Cruise is in the presence of actual actors and no amount of PP or hype or appearances on Leno, Letterman, or Oprah can change the fact that Cruise will always be a Hollywood one-tricvk pony. He is and always will be Tom Cruise and that is the movie's biggest downfall - the casting of Tom Cruse. Expand
  5. MikeyT.
    Dec 27, 2008
    The movie was okay in my opinion but it would have been good or even excellent if someone else played Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg. Tom Cruise's acting was really annoying to watch.
  6. Johnston
    Dec 29, 2008
    Much ado about nothing. It continues to fascinate me how every few years they make another film about Nazi's. It is certainly understandalbe that a Madman in Hitler drove them to do the terrible things they did. But it is impossible to understand how one man could so move a nation to exterminate mankind except for them. To glorify Nazism in any form is wrong. It is now more than 80 Much ado about nothing. It continues to fascinate me how every few years they make another film about Nazi's. It is certainly understandalbe that a Madman in Hitler drove them to do the terrible things they did. But it is impossible to understand how one man could so move a nation to exterminate mankind except for them. To glorify Nazism in any form is wrong. It is now more than 80 years since their rise to power. What's next? To see Nazi's as the good guys and American's as the bad? Enough of this glorification of the most hideous political group ever to walk the Earth. It was more than Hitler alone who was so evil. Eisernhower had it right when he said take lots of photographs because in 50 years they will put out the PR spin that the Holocaust never happened. Let us never forget despite left wing liberal Hollywood. Expand
  7. PaulS
    Dec 25, 2008
    A fully disappointing film that failed to thrill or intrigue me, and that makes Adam Sandler look like a serious Oscar contender in comparison. It had all the elements to make an amazing thriller, but Cruise totally failed to convince me in his role. Not just that, but I have to ask who thought releasing a film about Hitler on Christmas day was a good idea? Springtime, for Hitler, and Germany.
  8. Nov 26, 2011
    Pretty terrible. The entire film is insanely boring until the last 20 minutes or so, Even then its not that good. The acting was ok but I expected far better. Overall it was very disapointing.
  9. Aug 31, 2014
    Valkyrie is filled with ample potential for an excellent look at Nazi-controlled Germany. Unfortunately between a weak screenplay and another poor performance from Tom Cruise, Valkyrie is shelved with the group of unsuccessful Holocaust films.

1. Singer has crafted a fine film. One just wishes for greater details -- and a different ending.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Has visual splendor galore, but is a cold work lacking in the requisite tension and suspense.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Mendelson
    Valkyrie just misses out on being a great film (it’s no Black Book), but it easily merits mention as a good one.