5.5

1. Apr 20, 2014
    Wow. I can't describe how much i'm disappointed. How can you not like this movie? And that's why we don't get good movies nowadays. People don't even have a good taste! This movie is awesome. Amazing storyline, seriously.. A monster hunter? EPIC. I mean, who doesn't like it? It's so good! The werewolves are incredible, the best ones I've EVER seen in a movie. And the vampires? Van HelsingWow. I can't describe how much i'm disappointed. How can you not like this movie? And that's why we don't get good movies nowadays. People don't even have a good taste! This movie is awesome. Amazing storyline, seriously.. A monster hunter? EPIC. I mean, who doesn't like it? It's so good! The werewolves are incredible, the best ones I've EVER seen in a movie. And the vampires? Van Helsing is probably the only movie that shows vampires how they really are: monsters. But sure, people now prefer "vampires" who shine like fairies at the sun! Is that even a vampire? Oh right, no. And the werewolves? Nowadays are simply wolves. Van Helsing recreates it as a completely beast, which is what they are! And the CGI? It too damn good! It was 8 years ago and it is still way better than most of the movies we get now! Just.. argh. Seems like people don't know what are good movies. Today, people prefer vampires who fall in love with humans and it's all a big teenager drama than really good stories who give a message. The world is lost. Such a good storyline, such good characters and actors. The CGI is very good and.. then there's the public who actually sucks. Van Helsing is a really good movie. Expand
  2. JoeB
    Dec 14, 2008
    Strange that so many people hated this movie. The plot might not have been very original, but it was decent. The action sequences were fun to watch, there was more humor than the average horror movie, and the graphics were good. I guess I don't hate mainly because I didn't know much of the vampire, frankenstein, and werewolf lore that so many people were upset about since the Strange that so many people hated this movie. The plot might not have been very original, but it was decent. The action sequences were fun to watch, there was more humor than the average horror movie, and the graphics were good. I guess I don't hate mainly because I didn't know much of the vampire, frankenstein, and werewolf lore that so many people were upset about since the movie didn't stick to them. Expand
  3. Jun 16, 2013
    I'm really baffled at the hateful negative response to this film. No it's not Oscar material, it's just good campy fun. If you're a fan of old monster movies, James Bond and Indiana Jones flicks, and over-the-top humor in an action/horror movie, then you get it. I guess if you're looking for a summer action flick that takes itself too seriously, then you're out of luck with this one.

I

I admit that the film runs a little to long, the chemistry between Beckinsale and Jackman leaves something to be desired, and the Frankenstein "monster" (though well-intentioned to give a nod to "Young Frankenstein") is really annoying. But the entertainment spawning from the hokey fun that "Van Helsing" is all about, makes these flaws so forgivable.

For me, I'll take the over-acting screaming Brides of Dracula, the silly homages to dozens of classic action and horror movies, the cheesy one-liners, and the not-so-convincing special effects. Isn't that what monster movies are all about?
  4. MaddieS.
    Sep 27, 2005
    I guess people hate this movie, huh? Well, I'm weird.
  5. Louis'sbrother
    Mar 22, 2007
    Another epic breakthrough by Universal studios. I loved the monster violence, but the story needs some help. Definately a solid 9.
  6. ChandlerS.
    Nov 15, 2004
    Very Good Movie. The characters were well thought out and designed. The Special effects were awesome. The plot could use some work, but overall a very good movie, that I recommend.
  7. AMovieCritic
    Nov 13, 2004
    Here's another under-appreciated movie. This is a movie where people went into it....expecting...well...I don't know what they were expecting! I was expecting an 'action packed thrill ride with amazing special effects' ....and that's what I got. The action (which almost NEVER STOPPED) was amazing, the effects were jaw dropping, the plot was cool, the villains and Here's another under-appreciated movie. This is a movie where people went into it....expecting...well...I don't know what they were expecting! I was expecting an 'action packed thrill ride with amazing special effects' ....and that's what I got. The action (which almost NEVER STOPPED) was amazing, the effects were jaw dropping, the plot was cool, the villains and monsters were cool.....the directing was awesome, (sometimes the camera brought A LOT to the screan...Sommers is really turning into an awesome Action Movie director. See this if you want fun action, with great effects and cool characters. I don't know what everyone else was expecting, but they obviously didn't get what they expected. What I described is EXACTLY what to expect. Go into this movie expecting that, and chances are that you won't be disappointed. Expand
  8. Sam
    Nov 3, 2004
    Sure the beggining is a bit slow, but I can't help but be furious with most crititcs because the special effects are gougeous, the plot is pretty cool, and the action is intense. I would have given it a 10, but the slow begginig detracts 2 points.
  9. VictorD.
    May 11, 2004
    It sucks!
  10. LarryT.
    Oct 28, 2004
    Cheesy, but thoroughly enjoyable. Kate Beckinsale never looked better.
  11. MikeW.
    Oct 23, 2004
    DEFINATELY FUN! It's what alot of folks go to movies for...suspension of reality...and ALOT of FUN!!! I bought the DVD and it will have a home in my collection.If you can't enjoy this one...I'd like to know what you can. It has everything,great acting,great scenery,costumeing was very COOL and animation was stunning.The work that went into this movie seems of epic DEFINATELY FUN! It's what alot of folks go to movies for...suspension of reality...and ALOT of FUN!!! I bought the DVD and it will have a home in my collection.If you can't enjoy this one...I'd like to know what you can. It has everything,great acting,great scenery,costumeing was very COOL and animation was stunning.The work that went into this movie seems of epic proportion and you can't beat the lead role casting...to of the newest "best" actors there are...so go to it,buy it and for gosh sake have fun...it's only a movie!!but a really well done one! Expand
  12. Rico
    Oct 20, 2004
    For a popcorn movie this kicks ass. I was never bored and some of the effects were breathtaking. if you want a serious movie to contemplate then this is not for you. if you want to sit down with some nachos and be taken on a wild ride then check this out.
  13. CrystalC.
    Aug 15, 2004
    I loved everything about it! It was the greatest movie I have ever seen in my life!
  14. HarrisonB.
    Aug 8, 2004
    Van Helsing was a great thrill ride. Hugh Jackman was like Johny Depp in Secret Window. A little too many special effects. But great animation. It was a good movie.
  15. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Jul 17, 2004
    I liked this movie with lots of non-stop action which wasn't good had no real story though. I thought it was a good B List movie with some humor thrown in I liked it okay and The San Fransico Chronicle and Wall Street Journal can shove it for giving it a zero.
  16. Linkster
    Aug 7, 2004
    Pay no attention to Dan...It seems his only way of critiquing a film is attempting to humiliate those who don't see things exactly as he does. It is definitely worth seeing, if you are a fan of the Dracula and Frankenstein horror stories.
  17. RobM.
    Jul 26, 2004
    This is a great thriller movie.
  18. MarkR.
    Jun 12, 2004
    A blast of a movie that kept me glued to the screen- fantastic effects, alluring females (well, it's true) and a gripping score- to keep the film alive. A must for fans of the (admittedly) cliched action thriller: as this film most certainly is.
  19. SylviaG.
    Jun 29, 2004
    Un film à aller voir !!!!
  20. OmarM.
    May 14, 2004
    This movie was fun!
  21. JohnyBoy
    May 10, 2004
    Loved it, gonna go back to see it, excellent action in the movie, so who cares how the story works out?
  22. MarcusB.
    May 10, 2004
    Silly, mindless fun. Very cheesy at times, but I loved the visuals and the tongue-in-cheek homage to classic horror flicks.
  23. LindsayM.
    May 21, 2004
    I thought this was an excellent and entertaining movie. I went into the theater skeptical, but found myself really enjoying the film. The only downside was that it was a little long. But don't listen to "steaming turd" kid, it was well worth the price of a movie ticket!
  24. ZachW.
    May 18, 2004
    This was a great movie, no doubt about it. It has all of the original horror movie characters, pretty good acting, (I love Frankenstein) and some really good action. I heard "this movie has no plot", and "there's no way you can mix frankenstein, the werewolf and dracula and come out with a good story". Well, I think it worked, and it worked very well. I would definitely recommend This was a great movie, no doubt about it. It has all of the original horror movie characters, pretty good acting, (I love Frankenstein) and some really good action. I heard "this movie has no plot", and "there's no way you can mix frankenstein, the werewolf and dracula and come out with a good story". Well, I think it worked, and it worked very well. I would definitely recommend this movie if you are into those old horror creatures, but don't want to see a horror movie, but a great action movie. Collapse
  25. Mandy
    May 20, 2004
    For all those people who are rating this movie bad you have serious issues... I'm not kidding, really I'm not. I love horror/action movies and this satisfied both. The cast and location couldn't have been better either. Every single aspect was perfect. I could watch the movie over and over again and it wouldn't get boring at all. I throughly enjoyed Van Helsing and so For all those people who are rating this movie bad you have serious issues... I'm not kidding, really I'm not. I love horror/action movies and this satisfied both. The cast and location couldn't have been better either. Every single aspect was perfect. I could watch the movie over and over again and it wouldn't get boring at all. I throughly enjoyed Van Helsing and so should you. Expand
  26. VickyR.
    Jun 11, 2004
    Absolutely the best movie I have ever seen in my life! The whole story ties together into a mysterious romantic thriller. You see the classic villians such as the Wolfman, Dracula's Brides, Count Dracula, and Frankenstien. No other movie can surpass the greatness of such a wonderful movie as this. This movie is simply THE BEST!
  27. BrianD.
    May 22, 2004
    This movie was very exciting and a thriller.
  28. HannahK.
    May 31, 2004
    It has lots of gross parts but I think it's the best movie I have ever seen! Even my friends think that! I would give it five stars!!!
  29. Danny&Ron
    May 8, 2004
    Good special effects, nice action, fun lighthearted escapism. Not a serious movie for all you tight as--- who are trying to analyze a summer movie. Lighten up and have fun. The movie was meant to be light and entertaining, not change the world.
  30. CameronS.
    May 7, 2004
    This movie was fun. It wasn't as bad as people are saying it is. I enjoyed it. It's not the best movie out, but it's not the worst.
  31. Gabe
    May 6, 2004
    This movie will and is awsome cuz it takes place in Romania (w00t).
  32. JimR.
    May 10, 2004
    Unlike "The Mummy," this film was quite enjoyable. The sets and cinematography are wonderful (and should be recognized somewhere), and it's full of action. Not a terrific film, but definitely not worth the bad press it's getting.
  33. KateM.
    May 13, 2004
    I thought it was fun. It had excellent special effects and a very hot leading man! It isn't necessarily great movie-making, but it doesn't have to be.
  34. CraigA.
    May 12, 2004
    Ok so its not the most realistic film you will ever watch, nor is it the most gripping but I have to admit that despite its many flaws Van Helsing managed to entertain me for 2 hours. True a lot of that time i was thinking "oh how convenient that the rope you are swinging from is pointing exactly at the room where the main character is held hostage" etc but if you're after a good Ok so its not the most realistic film you will ever watch, nor is it the most gripping but I have to admit that despite its many flaws Van Helsing managed to entertain me for 2 hours. True a lot of that time i was thinking "oh how convenient that the rope you are swinging from is pointing exactly at the room where the main character is held hostage" etc but if you're after a good popcorn movie where you can turn off your brain, laugh at the charcters (like the ultra camp dracula) and just enjoy it then I would recommend it! Expand
  35. JimS.
    May 13, 2004
    Awesome effects, the plot sucked but it was still lots of fun. The ending isn't as good too, but you should see it for yourself.
  36. Dahmir
    May 7, 2004
    This movie was so amazingly bad, that it was good! Bonus points for the crazy evil Oompa Loompas and the fact that after continuous backbreaking falls and assaults the main characters did not bear so much as a scratch on them. Overall a truly horrible action movie, but at the same time an amazing comedy feature.
  37. MarkB.
    May 9, 2004
    Since I really hated Stephen Sommers' brain-dead, sloppily computerized Mummy movies, I went into his gloss on the mid-1940s Universal Studios Frankenstein-meets-Dracula-meets-(fill in the bank) flicks with very low expectations and a real sense of dread. And, I must admit, Sommers blindsided me. A wildly energetic, everything-including-the-kitchen-sink hodgepodge of Universal, Since I really hated Stephen Sommers' brain-dead, sloppily computerized Mummy movies, I went into his gloss on the mid-1940s Universal Studios Frankenstein-meets-Dracula-meets-(fill in the bank) flicks with very low expectations and a real sense of dread. And, I must admit, Sommers blindsided me. A wildly energetic, everything-including-the-kitchen-sink hodgepodge of Universal, Hammer, Indiana Jones, James Bond, the Howling movies and the Alien films (!!!), this movie incredibly fast-paced, don't-look-back popcorn movie is the dictionary definition of a "guilty pleasure". Sommers doesn't have one iota of Buffymeister Joss Whedon's storytelling skills or wit, but attempts to compensate by throwing so much at the audience (vampire brides! Mr. Hyde!! A Frankenstein monster with a breakaway face!! Gatling-style archery!!) that I'm surprised he didn't try to make the movie in 3-D. Hugh Jackman is typically charismatic in the title role (even if he's occasionally overwhelmed by all the STUFF whirling around around, over and under him); Kate Beckinsale, whose psuedo-accent is delightful, does more for bustiers than anyone since Jennifer Lopez as Selena. Special props to Richard Roxburgh's Wagnerian Dracula turn; his wall-walking entrance is unforgettable. If your cinematic superego craves nourishment, Kitchen Stories or Barbarian Invasions, is, I'm sure, playing SOMEWHERE; Van Helsing, meanwhile, is perfect comfort food for your moviegoing id. Expand
  38. LaurieV.
    May 8, 2004
    This was a fantastic movie. No, seriously! The plot was totally unbelievable, but what do you expect from a monster movie? Realism? This movie left realism at the door, and if you do too, then you will love this movie. It has a lot in common with Starship Troopers (another movie lots of people hate that I love): it's big on spectacle, low on dialogue and back-story, but unlike ST, This was a fantastic movie. No, seriously! The plot was totally unbelievable, but what do you expect from a monster movie? Realism? This movie left realism at the door, and if you do too, then you will love this movie. It has a lot in common with Starship Troopers (another movie lots of people hate that I love): it's big on spectacle, low on dialogue and back-story, but unlike ST, the characters have real personality. Beckinsale does a passable kiss-ass heroine (she's decorative, but just not a very good actress), and Jackman's considerable talent is more than adequate for his role. But what really makes this movie is the effects: this movie is a rollercoaster of gorgeously realised FX set-pieces strapped tightly together, with none of the tedious dialogue -- action movies are never good at dialogue, so why try? This movie just skips dialogue altogether. And the plot, while impossibly contrived, is nevertheless *novel*: it's very rare that I can see a movie and be surprised by anything, but this movie surprised me several times. There are also a lot of funny moments: sometimes the humour is intentional (Jackman plays his role entirely straight-faced, but all the other characters take jabs at monster-movie cliches a few times) and sometimes it is not (such as the dozens of million-to-one chances everyone successfully takes). This is not a serious movie, but did it ever claim to be? It was fast, exciting, pretty, surprising, funny and fun. What do you want, blood? (Then there's lots of that too) Expand
  39. PhillipR.
    May 9, 2004
    Really liked the movie. It had very well paced action to it. The acting was decent, which is more than acceptable when it comes to a movie that sales itself as an action movie. The CG was off the wall, and I am very much looking forward to the DVD release. 'nough said I think.
  40. MikeB.
    May 16, 2004
    Apparently most of the people who gave this movie a bad rating didn't grow up with the love for horror movies. I loved this flick maybe if i get brain damage i could also become a film critic Duh!!
  41. Jan 22, 2012
    Dear All, This my perspective - The movie was fantastic. Dont expect more and some strange things.
    But observe the technicality of the movie, how good it is? Its amazing. I have been watching whenever iam free. Coming to plot, its entirely new concept. lets no think of probability whether it happens or not happens in real life. Casting: Jackman was the perfect fit for this role and moreover he is my fav now. Actress Kate, even wonderful. Very challenging. Carl- Comic+ genius. :)
  42. Aug 11, 2012
    For me a movie underestimated. It 's just a movie for entertainment, but it succeeds well in the order and tells an interesting story about Van Helsing starring Hugh Jackman (a role that seemed inappropriate to him but he managed to play well).
  43. Mar 2, 2014
    Interesting. Kate bekinsale is one of my favorite actresses. A rather good vampire movie unlike the twilight series. Interesting plot line and interesting characters
  44. Mar 18, 2014
    I don't understand why people think this is a lame or poor movie. I think it's awesome, fun, CGI was decent, I liked how werewolfs were made and many more. It is such a shame that actually some good vampire movies have a sigma of bad movie because there are vampires in it, movies like this should be more better because it's something you can't see in a real life, so that you can enjoy itI don't understand why people think this is a lame or poor movie. I think it's awesome, fun, CGI was decent, I liked how werewolfs were made and many more. It is such a shame that actually some good vampire movies have a sigma of bad movie because there are vampires in it, movies like this should be more better because it's something you can't see in a real life, so that you can enjoy it on the big screen. Expand
  45. Apr 20, 2014
    Seriously?? Critics and users don't like this movie? this is more than dumbass! this is the only movie i like werewolfs, vampires and frankenstein! the story is simply beautiful, the CGI are really awesome, the cast too and c'mon! the movie is great!
  46. Jun 1, 2014
    I can't believe how dumb the '' critics '' are this movie is simply brilliant,character development isn't that good but its fairly decent, CGI is superb for a 2004 movie and its the only movie to make a vampire and a werewolf just right.
  47. Apr 17, 2015
    Ok, so it's not anywhere near a masterpiece. I'll also admit that it's at times cheesy, and it does really, really overuse c.g.i. But it's also undeniably fun. Jackman is awesome as Van Helsing and the movie is super energetic. Those are its two main strengths but it has more. I liked its imaginative take on some of the classic monsters. Frankenstein's monster is usually depicted asOk, so it's not anywhere near a masterpiece. I'll also admit that it's at times cheesy, and it does really, really overuse c.g.i. But it's also undeniably fun. Jackman is awesome as Van Helsing and the movie is super energetic. Those are its two main strengths but it has more. I liked its imaginative take on some of the classic monsters. Frankenstein's monster is usually depicted as dim witted, but here he's basically a genius. The action is indeed ludicrous but it can also be exhilarating at times. I thought the plot was pretty interesting to be honest, especially how it depicts Van Helsing as professional monster killer. If you don't take it too seriously I'm sure the movie will give you a good time too. I think the main reason the critics didn't like this movie was because they were expecting an actual horror movie. It's not. If they were expecting the fantasy adventure that it is, I think it would have gone down a little more smoothly.
    If anything, it's a thousand times better than Hansel & Gretel.

1. This creature feature is exhilarating fun, a richly designed and often quite funny re-exploration of the movie past.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The sense of evil overkill is entirely representative of the picture itself, which repeatedly looks ready to blow all its fuses due to sensory overload.
  3. Reviewed by: Pete Vonder Haar
    Sommers suspends the laws of time and physics and forces his characters to spout some of the cheesiest dialogue imaginable.