Universal Pictures | Release Date: May 7, 2004
6.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 203 Ratings
WATCH NOW
walker14Apr 20, 2014
Wow. I can't describe how much i'm disappointed. How can you not like this movie? And that's why we don't get good movies nowadays. People don't even have a good taste! This movie is awesome. Amazing storyline, seriously.. A monster hunter?Wow. I can't describe how much i'm disappointed. How can you not like this movie? And that's why we don't get good movies nowadays. People don't even have a good taste! This movie is awesome. Amazing storyline, seriously.. A monster hunter? EPIC. I mean, who doesn't like it? It's so good! The werewolves are incredible, the best ones I've EVER seen in a movie. And the vampires? Van Helsing is probably the only movie that shows vampires how they really are: monsters. But sure, people now prefer "vampires" who shine like fairies at the sun! Is that even a vampire? Oh right, no. And the werewolves? Nowadays are simply wolves. Van Helsing recreates it as a completely beast, which is what they are! And the CGI? It too damn good! It was 8 years ago and it is still way better than most of the movies we get now! Just.. argh. Seems like people don't know what are good movies. Today, people prefer vampires who fall in love with humans and it's all a big teenager drama than really good stories who give a message. The world is lost. Such a good storyline, such good characters and actors. The CGI is very good and.. then there's the public who actually sucks. Van Helsing is a really good movie. Expand
JoeBDec 14, 2008
Strange that so many people hated this movie. The plot might not have been very original, but it was decent. The action sequences were fun to watch, there was more humor than the average horror movie, and the graphics were good. I guess I Strange that so many people hated this movie. The plot might not have been very original, but it was decent. The action sequences were fun to watch, there was more humor than the average horror movie, and the graphics were good. I guess I don't hate mainly because I didn't know much of the vampire, frankenstein, and werewolf lore that so many people were upset about since the movie didn't stick to them. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
morfilJun 16, 2013
I'm really baffled at the hateful negative response to this film. No it's not Oscar material, it's just good campy fun. If you're a fan of old monster movies, James Bond and Indiana Jones flicks, and over-the-top humor in an action/horrorI'm really baffled at the hateful negative response to this film. No it's not Oscar material, it's just good campy fun. If you're a fan of old monster movies, James Bond and Indiana Jones flicks, and over-the-top humor in an action/horror movie, then you get it. I guess if you're looking for a summer action flick that takes itself too seriously, then you're out of luck with this one.

I admit that the film runs a little to long, the chemistry between Beckinsale and Jackman leaves something to be desired, and the Frankenstein "monster" (though well-intentioned to give a nod to "Young Frankenstein") is really annoying. But the entertainment spawning from the hokey fun that "Van Helsing" is all about, makes these flaws so forgivable.

For me, I'll take the over-acting screaming Brides of Dracula, the silly homages to dozens of classic action and horror movies, the cheesy one-liners, and the not-so-convincing special effects. Isn't that what monster movies are all about?
Sandra007Mar 18, 2014
I don't understand why people think this is a lame or poor movie. I think it's awesome, fun, CGI was decent, I liked how werewolfs were made and many more. It is such a shame that actually some good vampire movies have a sigma of bad movieI don't understand why people think this is a lame or poor movie. I think it's awesome, fun, CGI was decent, I liked how werewolfs were made and many more. It is such a shame that actually some good vampire movies have a sigma of bad movie because there are vampires in it, movies like this should be more better because it's something you can't see in a real life, so that you can enjoy it on the big screen. Expand
MaddieS.Sep 27, 2005
I guess people hate this movie, huh? Well, I'm weird.
VictorD.May 11, 2004
It sucks!
Louis'sbrotherMar 22, 2007
Another epic breakthrough by Universal studios. I loved the monster violence, but the story needs some help. Definately a solid 9.
Mad_Hatter91Aug 11, 2012
For me a movie underestimated. It 's just a movie for entertainment, but it succeeds well in the order and tells an interesting story about Van Helsing starring Hugh Jackman (a role that seemed inappropriate to him but he managed to play well).
Jame4uallJan 22, 2012
Dear All, This my perspective - The movie was fantastic. Dont expect more and some strange things.
But observe the technicality of the movie, how good it is? Its amazing. I have been watching whenever iam free. Coming to plot, its entirely new concept. lets no think of probability whether it happens or not happens in real life. Casting: Jackman was the perfect fit for this role and moreover he is my fav now. Actress Kate, even wonderful. Very challenging. Carl- Comic+ genius. :)
BradySmithApr 17, 2015
Ok, so it's not anywhere near a masterpiece. I'll also admit that it's at times cheesy, and it does really, really overuse c.g.i. But it's also undeniably fun. Jackman is awesome as Van Helsing and the movie is super energetic. Those areOk, so it's not anywhere near a masterpiece. I'll also admit that it's at times cheesy, and it does really, really overuse c.g.i. But it's also undeniably fun. Jackman is awesome as Van Helsing and the movie is super energetic. Those are its two main strengths but it has more. I liked its imaginative take on some of the classic monsters. Frankenstein's monster is usually depicted as dim witted, but here he's basically a genius. The action is indeed ludicrous but it can also be exhilarating at times. I thought the plot was pretty interesting to be honest, especially how it depicts Van Helsing as professional monster killer. If you don't take it too seriously I'm sure the movie will give you a good time too. I think the main reason the critics didn't like this movie was because they were expecting an actual horror movie. It's not. If they were expecting the fantasy adventure that it is, I think it would have gone down a little more smoothly.
If anything, it's a thousand times better than Hansel & Gretel.
MissDraeMar 2, 2014
Interesting. Kate bekinsale is one of my favorite actresses. A rather good vampire movie unlike the twilight series. Interesting plot line and interesting characters
MeKrikaJun 1, 2014
I can't believe how dumb the '' critics '' are this movie is simply brilliant,character development isn't that good but its fairly decent, CGI is superb for a 2004 movie and its the only movie to make a vampire and a werewolf just right.
BernanHandeiroApr 20, 2014
Seriously?? Critics and users don't like this movie? this is more than dumbass! this is the only movie i like werewolfs, vampires and frankenstein! the story is simply beautiful, the CGI are really awesome, the cast too and c'mon! the movie is great!
mm007Jul 16, 2016
[9/10]
Pros:
1. Classic dracula movie. 2.In the climax dracula Vs. werewolf fight. 3.Nice action. 4.Good storyline. Cons: 1.Not much, only the idea, if a dracula is killed, all his family, descendants will automatically die, looked a
[9/10]
Pros:
1. Classic dracula movie.
2.In the climax dracula Vs. werewolf fight.
3.Nice action.
4.Good storyline.
Cons:
1.Not much, only the idea, if a dracula is killed, all his family, descendants will automatically die, looked a bit creepy.
2. The gorgeous Kate Beckinsale,the heroine dies at last.
ElmerzJul 15, 2015
It was a great movie. The CGI wasn't bad, the story is great, the characters are great, everything is awesome. But the thing that makes this movie one of my favorites movies, it's how they make the supernatural beings. They make you want toIt was a great movie. The CGI wasn't bad, the story is great, the characters are great, everything is awesome. But the thing that makes this movie one of my favorites movies, it's how they make the supernatural beings. They make you want to be one or hunt one. Love this movie Expand
Lord_VDec 29, 2015
Van Helsing is movie that combines fantasy, action, drama, mystery and sci-fi. It has monsters, cool weapons and very good characters and performances. I think Van Helsing is one of the most underrated movies ever and it is also my favoriteVan Helsing is movie that combines fantasy, action, drama, mystery and sci-fi. It has monsters, cool weapons and very good characters and performances. I think Van Helsing is one of the most underrated movies ever and it is also my favorite movie with no sequels or prequels.

Story is good and atmosphere is more than great. Many classic monsters show up and face common nightmare that is called Van Helsing.
Hugh Jackman is nearly perfect Van Helsing (some reason called Gabriel instead of Abraham), Richard Roxburgh is surprisingly good Dracula and Kate Beckinsale is great as Anna, same time beautiful and tough counterpart to Van Helsing.

Action and story are both well executed and overall design of the movie is great and entertaining. Characters are well made, places look good and movie is from start to finish well made, interesting and feels good.
Monsters look good overall and great finale is amazing. Even the ending is very well done and I think that movie has very little flaws.

Masterpiece