Universal Pictures | Release Date: May 7, 2004
5.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 292 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleDec 2, 2016
Okay so this movie is stupid. Like, really stupid. All about Count Dracula needing the body of Frankenstein's monster to give life to his children, Van Helsing is a pure mess of a movie and really off-the-wall. With horrific dialogue and badOkay so this movie is stupid. Like, really stupid. All about Count Dracula needing the body of Frankenstein's monster to give life to his children, Van Helsing is a pure mess of a movie and really off-the-wall. With horrific dialogue and bad effects, this one is just a recipe for disaster. However, its campy inclinations and embracing of its more ludicrous elements by bringing them to their completion is what really makes this one a film packed to the brim with raucous entertainment. That said, the everlasting question of the film is: how bad is life in Transylvania? It is bad enough being neighbors with Dracula. However, to accept that the vampires will kill and eat one or two people every once in a while to sustain themselves as a fact of life and an ideal situation is really terrifying. How bad were things before they struck a deal with Dracula?

Featuring Hugh Jackman as Van Helsing, the famed archenemy of Dracula, the film tells the story of Gabriel Van Helsing having to go to Transylvania in order to kill Dracula. He is to help save the Valerious bloodline, as they will be stuck in purgatory as a result of their failure to kill Dracula, who was one part of their bloodline before he struck a deal with the devil. By the time he arrives, however, only Anna (Kate Beckinsale) is alive. As with all of Beckinsale's more ludicrous roles, Van Helsing is unafraid to utilize her sex appeal with tight clothing, revealing dresses, and tons of ass shots. She is also largely a damsel in distress here finding herself in situations where men must come and save her. However, the one character I did love, other than Van Helsing himself, is Frankenstein's monster (Shuler Hensley). A compassionate figure in this installation, he was created against his will and, yet, now that he is here, all he wants is to live. Highly sympathetic, it is hard to root against the classic monster in this film.

On the flip side, Dracula (Richard Roxburgh) is very easy to root against. Wholly evil, Dracula's large breasted concubines often do his bidding and are truly horrifying to look upon. The special effects on their bat forms are really quite bad and stand out as some of the worst, aside from Mr. Hyde, who is certainly the worst. This said, Dracula himself is well costumed and truly menacing. Roxburg instills him with a stoic deviousness. However, the best part of Dracula is the mythology here. From the ice castle to the missing script to his back story with Van Helsing, it is all very engrossing. With small details sprinkled throughout the film, director Stephen Sommers really does handle the story quite well at times. Though silly and over-the-top, there is a common thread here that binds it all together.

Yet, the film cannot get out of its own way. Not only is the acting horrific by Beckinsale and David Wenham, but so is the script. Deviating and often unfocused, the script is over-written, too long, and far too wordy. Though the story does often exceed these problems, it occurs far too sparingly to ignore the issues with the script. Even worse, the conclusion is embarrassing.

SPOILERS
After killing her as a werewolf, Van Helsing buries Anna. As she is finally reunited with her family, we see a vision of her being reunited with her family in the sky and gravitating towards the light. Yikes.
END SPOILERS

Often really dumb, Van Helsing can also be incredibly fun. Campy, silly, and over-the-top, it is hard to defend the stupidity of the plot, though I really liked the mythology. Unlike other movies of this ilk that came out in the early 2000s such as Underworld, its mythology is its only strength. In Underworld, we had over-the-top, yet solid acting. Solid special effects. And a lot of fun. Here, we get some good fun, but everything else is just so bad it hurts.
The3AcademySinsJul 17, 2016
If you are looking for some B-Movie, cheesy fun times, then THIS is the film for you. Everyone loves a so-bad-its-good monster mashup, and I definitely recommend this one for fans of the old Scy Fy channel classics.
mm007Jul 16, 2016
[9/10]
Pros:
1. Classic dracula movie. 2.In the climax dracula Vs. werewolf fight. 3.Nice action. 4.Good storyline. Cons: 1.Not much, only the idea, if a dracula is killed, all his family, descendants will automatically die, looked a
[9/10]
Pros:
1. Classic dracula movie.
2.In the climax dracula Vs. werewolf fight.
3.Nice action.
4.Good storyline.
Cons:
1.Not much, only the idea, if a dracula is killed, all his family, descendants will automatically die, looked a bit creepy.
2. The gorgeous Kate Beckinsale,the heroine dies at last.
PseudorantJun 17, 2016
Signed up on Metacritic after 15+ years just to leave my mark on Van Helsing. Instead of rehashing what's been said, I copied some of the bizarre comments made in the "positive" reviews. If you've avoided the movie for this long already,Signed up on Metacritic after 15+ years just to leave my mark on Van Helsing. Instead of rehashing what's been said, I copied some of the bizarre comments made in the "positive" reviews. If you've avoided the movie for this long already, don't break your record...

it was decent. (9) not Oscar material (7) I guess people hate this movie (10) story needs some help (9) plot could use some work (8) I don't know what everyone else was expecting (8) It sucks! (8) had no real story (8) who cares how the story works out? (10) it was a little long (9) not the best movie out, but it's not the worst. (7) Not a terrific film (7) It isn't necessarily great movie-making (7) despite its many flaws... (7) The ending isn't as good too (9) so amazingly bad, that it was good (10) Sommers doesn't have one iota of Buffymeister Joss Whedon's storytelling skills or wit (7) skips dialogue altogether. And the plot, while impossibly contrived, is nevertheless *novel* (9) The acting was decent (10) Dont expect more and some strange things. (10) character development isn't that good (10) Ok, so it's not anywhere near a masterpiece. (7)
Lord_VDec 29, 2015
Van Helsing is movie that combines fantasy, action, drama, mystery and sci-fi. It has monsters, cool weapons and very good characters and performances. I think Van Helsing is one of the most underrated movies ever and it is also my favoriteVan Helsing is movie that combines fantasy, action, drama, mystery and sci-fi. It has monsters, cool weapons and very good characters and performances. I think Van Helsing is one of the most underrated movies ever and it is also my favorite movie with no sequels or prequels.

Story is good and atmosphere is more than great. Many classic monsters show up and face common nightmare that is called Van Helsing.
Hugh Jackman is nearly perfect Van Helsing (some reason called Gabriel instead of Abraham), Richard Roxburgh is surprisingly good Dracula and Kate Beckinsale is great as Anna, same time beautiful and tough counterpart to Van Helsing.

Action and story are both well executed and overall design of the movie is great and entertaining. Characters are well made, places look good and movie is from start to finish well made, interesting and feels good.
Monsters look good overall and great finale is amazing. Even the ending is very well done and I think that movie has very little flaws.

Masterpiece
WJSAug 23, 2015
I think that if you're looking for a copy of this movie on DVD or Blue Ray, you just have to drop into your local cheese shop and you'll find it right next to the cheddar.

Very cheesy movie that looks great but you have to fight your way

Very cheesy movie that looks great but you have to fight your way through the over-the-top acting and non-sensical direction to grab your slice.
ElmerzJul 15, 2015
It was a great movie. The CGI wasn't bad, the story is great, the characters are great, everything is awesome. But the thing that makes this movie one of my favorites movies, it's how they make the supernatural beings. They make you want toIt was a great movie. The CGI wasn't bad, the story is great, the characters are great, everything is awesome. But the thing that makes this movie one of my favorites movies, it's how they make the supernatural beings. They make you want to be one or hunt one. Love this movie Expand
BradySmithApr 17, 2015
Ok, so it's not anywhere near a masterpiece. I'll also admit that it's at times cheesy, and it does really, really overuse c.g.i. But it's also undeniably fun. Jackman is awesome as Van Helsing and the movie is super energetic. Those areOk, so it's not anywhere near a masterpiece. I'll also admit that it's at times cheesy, and it does really, really overuse c.g.i. But it's also undeniably fun. Jackman is awesome as Van Helsing and the movie is super energetic. Those are its two main strengths but it has more. I liked its imaginative take on some of the classic monsters. Frankenstein's monster is usually depicted as dim witted, but here he's basically a genius. The action is indeed ludicrous but it can also be exhilarating at times. I thought the plot was pretty interesting to be honest, especially how it depicts Van Helsing as professional monster killer. If you don't take it too seriously I'm sure the movie will give you a good time too. I think the main reason the critics didn't like this movie was because they were expecting an actual horror movie. It's not. If they were expecting the fantasy adventure that it is, I think it would have gone down a little more smoothly.
If anything, it's a thousand times better than Hansel & Gretel.
oxanaJan 3, 2015
This movie is good and gore at the same time. My dad stated that the special effects were probably supposed to look as they did... I find no other explanation (speaking of the Dracula/Werewolf fight, for one). At places, the images wereThis movie is good and gore at the same time. My dad stated that the special effects were probably supposed to look as they did... I find no other explanation (speaking of the Dracula/Werewolf fight, for one). At places, the images were realistic, but the overall fantasy-like atmosphere probably created that. Worth a look, but there isn't much you can get out of this. Expand
MeKrikaJun 1, 2014
I can't believe how dumb the '' critics '' are this movie is simply brilliant,character development isn't that good but its fairly decent, CGI is superb for a 2004 movie and its the only movie to make a vampire and a werewolf just right.
walker14Apr 20, 2014
Wow. I can't describe how much i'm disappointed. How can you not like this movie? And that's why we don't get good movies nowadays. People don't even have a good taste! This movie is awesome. Amazing storyline, seriously.. A monster hunter?Wow. I can't describe how much i'm disappointed. How can you not like this movie? And that's why we don't get good movies nowadays. People don't even have a good taste! This movie is awesome. Amazing storyline, seriously.. A monster hunter? EPIC. I mean, who doesn't like it? It's so good! The werewolves are incredible, the best ones I've EVER seen in a movie. And the vampires? Van Helsing is probably the only movie that shows vampires how they really are: monsters. But sure, people now prefer "vampires" who shine like fairies at the sun! Is that even a vampire? Oh right, no. And the werewolves? Nowadays are simply wolves. Van Helsing recreates it as a completely beast, which is what they are! And the CGI? It too damn good! It was 8 years ago and it is still way better than most of the movies we get now! Just.. argh. Seems like people don't know what are good movies. Today, people prefer vampires who fall in love with humans and it's all a big teenager drama than really good stories who give a message. The world is lost. Such a good storyline, such good characters and actors. The CGI is very good and.. then there's the public who actually sucks. Van Helsing is a really good movie. Expand
BernanHandeiroApr 20, 2014
Seriously?? Critics and users don't like this movie? this is more than dumbass! this is the only movie i like werewolfs, vampires and frankenstein! the story is simply beautiful, the CGI are really awesome, the cast too and c'mon! the movie is great!
Sandra007Mar 18, 2014
I don't understand why people think this is a lame or poor movie. I think it's awesome, fun, CGI was decent, I liked how werewolfs were made and many more. It is such a shame that actually some good vampire movies have a sigma of bad movieI don't understand why people think this is a lame or poor movie. I think it's awesome, fun, CGI was decent, I liked how werewolfs were made and many more. It is such a shame that actually some good vampire movies have a sigma of bad movie because there are vampires in it, movies like this should be more better because it's something you can't see in a real life, so that you can enjoy it on the big screen. Expand
MissDraeMar 2, 2014
Interesting. Kate bekinsale is one of my favorite actresses. A rather good vampire movie unlike the twilight series. Interesting plot line and interesting characters
Iky009Jan 6, 2014
Não grande coisaNão grande coisa Expand
RayzorMooseNov 13, 2013
Van Helsing made me want to gouge my eyes out.
This was an extremely painful movie to watch, quite frankly a missed opportunity in ever sense of the word. A horrible script with actors simply reading their lines and waiting to get through it.
SEROJAug 26, 2013
Had very big expectations, because of the great opening 5-10 minutes, but i was disappointed! It could be so much better! 2/10 is my score for "Van Helsing"
morfilJun 16, 2013
I'm really baffled at the hateful negative response to this film. No it's not Oscar material, it's just good campy fun. If you're a fan of old monster movies, James Bond and Indiana Jones flicks, and over-the-top humor in an action/horrorI'm really baffled at the hateful negative response to this film. No it's not Oscar material, it's just good campy fun. If you're a fan of old monster movies, James Bond and Indiana Jones flicks, and over-the-top humor in an action/horror movie, then you get it. I guess if you're looking for a summer action flick that takes itself too seriously, then you're out of luck with this one.

I admit that the film runs a little to long, the chemistry between Beckinsale and Jackman leaves something to be desired, and the Frankenstein "monster" (though well-intentioned to give a nod to "Young Frankenstein") is really annoying. But the entertainment spawning from the hokey fun that "Van Helsing" is all about, makes these flaws so forgivable.

For me, I'll take the over-acting screaming Brides of Dracula, the silly homages to dozens of classic action and horror movies, the cheesy one-liners, and the not-so-convincing special effects. Isn't that what monster movies are all about?
RolentoFeb 19, 2013
Eh, it's pretty mainstream and a good example of shallow storytelling, sure, but it's ok after all if viewed with the right mindset. Not that I'm into those things that much, but the action segments and the CGI were not bad at all, so combineEh, it's pretty mainstream and a good example of shallow storytelling, sure, but it's ok after all if viewed with the right mindset. Not that I'm into those things that much, but the action segments and the CGI were not bad at all, so combine that to a story that is... well, I'd say more "neutral" than bad, like incredibly obvious and, again, mainstream... and I guess you get something "ok-ish" out of it. I admit it also has some minor sentimental value to me, seen this one a lot of time ago. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Shallow storytelling and it really only amounts up to a CGI showcase.
Mad_Hatter91Aug 11, 2012
For me a movie underestimated. It 's just a movie for entertainment, but it succeeds well in the order and tells an interesting story about Van Helsing starring Hugh Jackman (a role that seemed inappropriate to him but he managed to play well).
Jame4uallJan 22, 2012
Dear All, This my perspective - The movie was fantastic. Dont expect more and some strange things.
But observe the technicality of the movie, how good it is? Its amazing. I have been watching whenever iam free. Coming to plot, its entirely new concept. lets no think of probability whether it happens or not happens in real life. Casting: Jackman was the perfect fit for this role and moreover he is my fav now. Actress Kate, even wonderful. Very challenging. Carl- Comic+ genius. :)
hoops2448Dec 12, 2011
Van Helsing is possibly the closest I have come to giving a film a 0. It is a lifeless corpse of a movie. The acting is dreadful bordering on laughable. The referencing of classic monster movies doesn't only fall flat but it grates. RichardVan Helsing is possibly the closest I have come to giving a film a 0. It is a lifeless corpse of a movie. The acting is dreadful bordering on laughable. The referencing of classic monster movies doesn't only fall flat but it grates. Richard Roxburghs Dracula is over the top in the worst possible way and the scripting is dreadful. If anything its one saving grace is a remarkably entertaining intro to the character of Van Helsing (even if Hugh Jackman is terrible as the title character) with the fight between Jekyl and Hyde being a fun piece of action. Its the films only saving grace and its only 5 minutes. The film lumbers on after that, slowly killing your soul. It's dire and thats before it gets to the end where you get to witness Lion King esque sky visions. Because copying Disney in a monster movie seemed like a good idea at the time. Don't watch it, and if you do, bring a pillow. Expand
HalfwelshmanDec 6, 2011
Van Helsing just about works as a film if you don't take it too seriously. It's a fun fantasy romp with numerous references to 30s and 40s Universal horror films. It does have some awful dialogue (it's written and directed by Stephen Sommers,Van Helsing just about works as a film if you don't take it too seriously. It's a fun fantasy romp with numerous references to 30s and 40s Universal horror films. It does have some awful dialogue (it's written and directed by Stephen Sommers, and as with The Mummy and The Mummy Returns, he proves himself much more talented in directing ballsy action sequences than bringing profound vocal utterances to the big screen). It also has some awful performances from its cast (the chief culprit being a laughable, bad Eastern European-accented Kate Beckinsale, but a fairly wooden and inconsistent Hugh Jackman in the title role doesn't fair much better) and the plot is an ugly mess - rather than a glowing tribute to classic horror filmmaking it's a ridiculous throw-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink affair. Despite these glaring issues, Van Helsing could never be called boring. Yes, it might be a bit too long, but the film boasts some fantastic effects (I personally feel that the werewolves featured in the film are the finest in movie history) and the action scenes are handled well - though each set-piece is quite long, the momentum is never lost. You also have a liberal dose of humour and a standout performance in Richard Roxburgh's Count Dracula. Yes, he's hammy, but in a knowing sort of way, and he's a much better actor than Bela Lugosi ever was, and, perhaps most importantly, he appears to be having so much fun with the role. Van Helsing is completely hilarious if it's taken completely seriously, but if you're willing to suspend your disbelief, ignore its more wobbly aspects, it's quite possible to derive a certain amount of perverse pleasure from such a genuinely entertaining film. Collapse
kingshahidNov 5, 2011
I heard great things about this movie. It failed at keeping my attention but I have to say that the graphics and concept was truly something out of the ordinary. I'm a fan of vampire movies but this was not something I could get myself to enjoy.
RodrigoBGCOct 17, 2011
If Bram Stoker resurrected and see what they did with his story, he kill himself! this movie is just, i don´t know, this movie simply have no reason to exist
J-ShapOct 7, 2011
To save you valuable hours of your life, here's a summary of the whole movie: Big action scene with monsters, Bad CGI, People talk fast, Big action scene with monsters, Big action scene with monsters, Big action scene with monsters, PeopleTo save you valuable hours of your life, here's a summary of the whole movie: Big action scene with monsters, Bad CGI, People talk fast, Big action scene with monsters, Big action scene with monsters, Big action scene with monsters, People talk fast, Big action scene with monsters, Bad CGI, Big action scene with monsters, faux-dramatic scene, Big action scene with monsters, Bad CGI, Bad CGI, Fin. Expand
CaseyK.Mar 30, 2010
Although great action scenes, Van Helsing is a pathetic attempt to create interesting monster characters but senseless with daft screenplay and terrible directing from Stephen Sommers.
JoeBDec 14, 2008
Strange that so many people hated this movie. The plot might not have been very original, but it was decent. The action sequences were fun to watch, there was more humor than the average horror movie, and the graphics were good. I guess I Strange that so many people hated this movie. The plot might not have been very original, but it was decent. The action sequences were fun to watch, there was more humor than the average horror movie, and the graphics were good. I guess I don't hate mainly because I didn't know much of the vampire, frankenstein, and werewolf lore that so many people were upset about since the movie didn't stick to them. Expand
JaredC.Dec 4, 2007
Van Helsing is a definite thrill ride, just the never-ending action sequences were so prolonged that it got quite annoying after a while.
Louis'sbrotherMar 22, 2007
Another epic breakthrough by Universal studios. I loved the monster violence, but the story needs some help. Definately a solid 9.
TommiK.Sep 6, 2006
Noisy, fast paced, boring, lacking any depth. Very nice effects and lots and lots of actions. Also sometimes stylish design and lots of effort. If only it had plot and charisma.
SamNov 28, 2005
Easily, may I repeat EASILY, 2004's biggest cinema dissapointment. It's not a terrible movie, I just expected it to be a classic on the lines of Batman Begins or Spider-Man 2, and, well, it wasn't. It had pretty good FX and Easily, may I repeat EASILY, 2004's biggest cinema dissapointment. It's not a terrible movie, I just expected it to be a classic on the lines of Batman Begins or Spider-Man 2, and, well, it wasn't. It had pretty good FX and the action scenes were enjoyable, but the plot was just a rip-off of Godzilla if you think about it. The bad guy is trying to let his billions of babies hatch to rule the world. That's pretty much it. I will, however, admit that Van Helsing and Dracula are likable, but all the other characters hace as much life as Dracula's children, for a few momentary seconds they may have life, but then right after they lose it. Expand
MaddieS.Sep 27, 2005
I guess people hate this movie, huh? Well, I'm weird.
[Anonymous]Sep 1, 2005
To think 160 million dollars went into one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Blade II uses half that amount, and gives you twice the fun, and axes those annoying Transylvanian accents. Dracula's brides were cool when they To think 160 million dollars went into one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Blade II uses half that amount, and gives you twice the fun, and axes those annoying Transylvanian accents. Dracula's brides were cool when they didn't talk. That crossbow is a good use of Retro-futuristic imagination. But everything else is a total wreck. How could ILM screw up so badly? Those FX guys worked with Steven Spielburg, for heaven's sakes! Even the musical score fails to deliver. Oliver Stone's disasterous Alexander at least had uplifting, epic music from Vangelis, but this stuff was just garbage. Just watch the mummy movies for hollywood cheese. This blunder doesn't even qualify for those lowly standards. Expand
ThomasS.Jun 21, 2005
Easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It's caused me physical pain to watch. The special effects were horrible. In the flying vampire women scene, you can see the digital boxes around them whenever they fly! Don't waste Easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It's caused me physical pain to watch. The special effects were horrible. In the flying vampire women scene, you can see the digital boxes around them whenever they fly! Don't waste your time. Expand
ChandlerS.Nov 15, 2004
Very Good Movie. The characters were well thought out and designed. The Special effects were awesome. The plot could use some work, but overall a very good movie, that I recommend.
TomM.Nov 14, 2004
How can anyone give this movie a 10? Seriously folks, I understand that everyone has different tastes in movies but a 10? It's not Casablanca. Bottom line is that this movie provides a weak story (which is fine for what this movie tried How can anyone give this movie a 10? Seriously folks, I understand that everyone has different tastes in movies but a 10? It's not Casablanca. Bottom line is that this movie provides a weak story (which is fine for what this movie tried to be), awful acting (which is never ok), horrible cgi effects, and god awful dialogue. I wish I could rely more on the internet to get a decent idea of what to expect in regards to movies. Apparently that is just not going to happen. Honestly, if people really love this movie and want to rate it a 10 then I am not surprised at all with the dung that Hollywood continues to churn out. Expand
AMovieCriticNov 13, 2004
Here's another under-appreciated movie. This is a movie where people went into it....expecting...well...I don't know what they were expecting! I was expecting an 'action packed thrill ride with amazing special effects' Here's another under-appreciated movie. This is a movie where people went into it....expecting...well...I don't know what they were expecting! I was expecting an 'action packed thrill ride with amazing special effects' ....and that's what I got. The action (which almost NEVER STOPPED) was amazing, the effects were jaw dropping, the plot was cool, the villains and monsters were cool.....the directing was awesome, (sometimes the camera brought A LOT to the screan...Sommers is really turning into an awesome Action Movie director. See this if you want fun action, with great effects and cool characters. I don't know what everyone else was expecting, but they obviously didn't get what they expected. What I described is EXACTLY what to expect. Go into this movie expecting that, and chances are that you won't be disappointed. Expand
BubbaFreshNov 6, 2004
Reminds me of a swan sculpture made of crap. No matter how nice it looks, its still crap, and WTF is up with the oompa loompas with goggles.
KevinF.Nov 5, 2004
If you must.
SamNov 3, 2004
Sure the beggining is a bit slow, but I can't help but be furious with most crititcs because the special effects are gougeous, the plot is pretty cool, and the action is intense. I would have given it a 10, but the slow begginig Sure the beggining is a bit slow, but I can't help but be furious with most crititcs because the special effects are gougeous, the plot is pretty cool, and the action is intense. I would have given it a 10, but the slow begginig detracts 2 points. Expand
LarryT.Oct 28, 2004
Cheesy, but thoroughly enjoyable. Kate Beckinsale never looked better.
WesG.Oct 27, 2004
If you enjoyed this movie...what DON't you enjoy? It's just too lame for my tastes...
GregT.Oct 25, 2004
I watched this movie and kept it running. Peed. Watched this movie and kept it running. Cooked dinner. I never really missed a thing during these absences, because it was continual special effects overload. It just went on and on. In the I watched this movie and kept it running. Peed. Watched this movie and kept it running. Cooked dinner. I never really missed a thing during these absences, because it was continual special effects overload. It just went on and on. In the end, I felt that if I saw one more flying vampyress, I was going to beat the s... out of her and the TV. The effects were great, but it was all just a tad over the top. Expand
RaggetBOct 24, 2004
Too long. Sucks.
BobBOct 24, 2004
I fell asleep way too much, boring...
MikeW.Oct 23, 2004
DEFINATELY FUN! It's what alot of folks go to movies for...suspension of reality...and ALOT of FUN!!! I bought the DVD and it will have a home in my collection.If you can't enjoy this one...I'd like to know what you can. It DEFINATELY FUN! It's what alot of folks go to movies for...suspension of reality...and ALOT of FUN!!! I bought the DVD and it will have a home in my collection.If you can't enjoy this one...I'd like to know what you can. It has everything,great acting,great scenery,costumeing was very COOL and animation was stunning.The work that went into this movie seems of epic proportion and you can't beat the lead role casting...to of the newest "best" actors there are...so go to it,buy it and for gosh sake have fun...it's only a movie!!but a really well done one! Expand
MichaelM.Oct 22, 2004
Van Helsuck? No, Van Helsing. The new monster mash of a movie from the director of The Mummy series. Although, Van Helsuck would be an appropriate title for this. There are so many things wrong with Van Helsing. First of all, the plot is so Van Helsuck? No, Van Helsing. The new monster mash of a movie from the director of The Mummy series. Although, Van Helsuck would be an appropriate title for this. There are so many things wrong with Van Helsing. First of all, the plot is so overstuffed, the film always seems confusing and will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Second of all, the acting isn't really something to shout from the hilltops about. But, the special effects are really spectatuclar, and if you could forget all the things wrong with Van Helsing and just focus on the dazzling visuals, you will have a good time. I'd wait till DVD on this one. Expand
AllanW.Oct 21, 2004
This is the worst movie ever. this movie is a atrocious butchering of all that is good in this world. Burn this movie to erase it from the pages of history, for if a higher power or more intelligent life was to stumble upon this piece of This is the worst movie ever. this movie is a atrocious butchering of all that is good in this world. Burn this movie to erase it from the pages of history, for if a higher power or more intelligent life was to stumble upon this piece of trash, they would surely decide that we are unfit to continue existence. Sommers butchers every legend, tale, or story that has every involve anyone of these characters in this movie. Trash. Expand
RicoOct 20, 2004
For a popcorn movie this kicks ass. I was never bored and some of the effects were breathtaking. if you want a serious movie to contemplate then this is not for you. if you want to sit down with some nachos and be taken on a wild ride then For a popcorn movie this kicks ass. I was never bored and some of the effects were breathtaking. if you want a serious movie to contemplate then this is not for you. if you want to sit down with some nachos and be taken on a wild ride then check this out. Expand
curefreakOct 18, 2004
This movie made no sense not even for the low standerds set by summetime action- adventure flicks the score was loud and annoying and frankly so was the movie there was no real plot and the special effects werent realistic or compelling in This movie made no sense not even for the low standerds set by summetime action- adventure flicks the score was loud and annoying and frankly so was the movie there was no real plot and the special effects werent realistic or compelling in any way whover wrote this has no real compassion towards monster movies since frankenstein is sensitive and misunderstood and vampires can walk around in the daylight before i saw this it felt like they just threw a bunch of monsters together without any logic thinking poeple would be stupid enough to see it well unforuntely they were right since the audience i saw it with clapped and cheered at the end obviously these kinds of movies dont have to be intelligent or thought provoking but if thats the case shouldnt the action and the effects take up the slack? anyone who enjoyed this movie needs a lobotomy quick! Expand
VickySep 28, 2004
The special effects were fine the acting also but the direction "oh my god" it made me sick and dizzy! kill the director!!!!!!!!
CrystalC.Aug 15, 2004
I loved everything about it! It was the greatest movie I have ever seen in my life!
RoyT.Aug 13, 2004
For a fantasy movie, Van Helsing is two-thumbs up movie, but as to the rest, Van Helsing has much to say.
HarrisonB.Aug 8, 2004
Van Helsing was a great thrill ride. Hugh Jackman was like Johny Depp in Secret Window. A little too many special effects. But great animation. It was a good movie.
LinksterAug 7, 2004
Pay no attention to Dan...It seems his only way of critiquing a film is attempting to humiliate those who don't see things exactly as he does. It is definitely worth seeing, if you are a fan of the Dracula and Frankenstein horror stories.
EfeB.Jul 30, 2004
Van helsing. first of all the name VAN suggests that this fella is of dutch origin. why would a dutch guy go around killing famous horror classics when he has horrific dull landscapes to paint is beyond me. i guess during child upbringing, Van helsing. first of all the name VAN suggests that this fella is of dutch origin. why would a dutch guy go around killing famous horror classics when he has horrific dull landscapes to paint is beyond me. i guess during child upbringing, parents should urge their kids to take art lessons?...is this the idea? as for the so called "horror legends" such as dracula and frankenstein, they would be terrified to have their names associated with this film, no need for wooden stakes here...they are allready taken care for, avoiding anymore bad scripts. the person who played dracula should be allowed to meet horror film fans at a convention so he can enjoy a meal of fresh vegtables in his face. the actor (too lame to be named here) kind of tries to mimic a romanian accent but he comes across as an angry french waiter. which by the way is very scary if you ever saw one. van helsing fella (too redundant to say his name here) does a good job of keeping the production value as low as possible so the director can keep up with him in order to create a complete crap of a film. this fella was decent in the x-men movies and now we know for a fact that his acting skills are result of amazing on screen luck. either that or the fella who directed the x-men films (some young punk) took like 300 shots for a single scene. whatever the case, this guy aint no buffy. for the ammount of money they spent on this film one would anticipate a marvel, now we are only marveled by how much nothingness a money can buy. Expand
RobM.Jul 26, 2004
This is a great thriller movie.
DragonKnightofFinalFantasyJul 17, 2004
I liked this movie with lots of non-stop action which wasn't good had no real story though. I thought it was a good B List movie with some humor thrown in I liked it okay and The San Fransico Chronicle and Wall Street Journal can shove I liked this movie with lots of non-stop action which wasn't good had no real story though. I thought it was a good B List movie with some humor thrown in I liked it okay and The San Fransico Chronicle and Wall Street Journal can shove it for giving it a zero. Expand
SylviaG.Jun 29, 2004
Un film à aller voir !!!!
DanJun 23, 2004
Hey vicky... congratulations on seeing your first movie.
MarkR.Jun 12, 2004
A blast of a movie that kept me glued to the screen- fantastic effects, alluring females (well, it's true) and a gripping score- to keep the film alive. A must for fans of the (admittedly) cliched action thriller: as this film most A blast of a movie that kept me glued to the screen- fantastic effects, alluring females (well, it's true) and a gripping score- to keep the film alive. A must for fans of the (admittedly) cliched action thriller: as this film most certainly is. Expand
VickyR.Jun 11, 2004
Absolutely the best movie I have ever seen in my life! The whole story ties together into a mysterious romantic thriller. You see the classic villians such as the Wolfman, Dracula's Brides, Count Dracula, and Frankenstien. No other Absolutely the best movie I have ever seen in my life! The whole story ties together into a mysterious romantic thriller. You see the classic villians such as the Wolfman, Dracula's Brides, Count Dracula, and Frankenstien. No other movie can surpass the greatness of such a wonderful movie as this. This movie is simply THE BEST! Expand
RoscoTrainJun 9, 2004
Just the worst. I was tempted to flee the movie several times. The beginning was your typical cookie cutter "I made frankenstein" scene. Count Dracula's actor was not at all scary looking. Poor casting. Van Helsing was boring and barely Just the worst. I was tempted to flee the movie several times. The beginning was your typical cookie cutter "I made frankenstein" scene. Count Dracula's actor was not at all scary looking. Poor casting. Van Helsing was boring and barely killed anything. He had a weapon that created light as powerful as the sun but never used it until the end ballroom scene. If he had a bag full of these devices he could have destroyed all the vampires from the very start, instead he uses turbo arrows that never hit anything. Vampire babies? What the heck? So like how do they make a "Dead" baby, grow it into a form then put it into a sack and its still dead. Just need electricity to make it alive. Right. Scene after scene makes no logical sense. Stupid stuff happening one after the other. They swing around like tarzan with one hand on the rope, one hand holding a girl across a river 1000 feet high with no injuries. Have you ever tried to hold on to a rope or bar with one hand. Good luck. Nobody had any super powers unless I'm missing something. Just a joke of a movie. Basically this movie SUCKS. Expand
MasterChiefJun 4, 2004
The maker of this movie must be flogged in public and then stoned to death!
KellyJun 1, 2004
A disappointing film with bad dialog, so-so acting, less than impressive effects, and a really cheesy ending. This movie had great potential, but was unable to deliver the goods.
KenG.Jun 1, 2004
Easily the noisest and emptiest movie of the year, Van Helsing even manages to minimize Jackman's innate charisma. While the set designs sometimes excel (Dracula's castle growing OUT of the mountain is an eye-opener), Stephen Easily the noisest and emptiest movie of the year, Van Helsing even manages to minimize Jackman's innate charisma. While the set designs sometimes excel (Dracula's castle growing OUT of the mountain is an eye-opener), Stephen Sommers, as he did with the Mummy movies, manages to make our favorite scary monsters boring. And what is with Kate's Romanian accent? Slide her back into leather and the Underworld movies where she's nice eye candy. Expand
HannahK.May 31, 2004
It has lots of gross parts but I think it's the best movie I have ever seen! Even my friends think that! I would give it five stars!!!
BenMay 31, 2004
Would I see this again? No. But do I regret seeing it? No. Hey, I went in expecting a stupid action movie with hot women, and that's what I got. Final score: 6 Final score without Kate Beckinsale's cleavage: 2.
GustavoH.R.May 29, 2004
Is this fun? No. Are the visual effects great? No, they're horrible. What about the actor's performances? Inept. Direction? Non-existent. A monumental waste of $160 million dollars. I'm sorry if this will sound a bit arrogant, Is this fun? No. Are the visual effects great? No, they're horrible. What about the actor's performances? Inept. Direction? Non-existent. A monumental waste of $160 million dollars. I'm sorry if this will sound a bit arrogant, but even I could write a better movie. What a disappointment. Expand
IvanaT.May 26, 2004
Everyone here is right. This story DOES have a plot. It's just a crappy one. Ok, so get this. Dracula, who has recently asked Dr. Frankenstein to raise a corpse, tries to use the same method used to revive the Frankenstein monster to Everyone here is right. This story DOES have a plot. It's just a crappy one. Ok, so get this. Dracula, who has recently asked Dr. Frankenstein to raise a corpse, tries to use the same method used to revive the Frankenstein monster to bring his thousands of babies back to life. Because he is undead, they are born pre-dead. Thus, he must put life in them. Utter, utter schlock. it was probably only made because it gave millions to ILM. Kudos. You have made crappy movie history. Expand
BrianD.May 22, 2004
This movie was very exciting and a thriller.
LindsayM.May 21, 2004
I thought this was an excellent and entertaining movie. I went into the theater skeptical, but found myself really enjoying the film. The only downside was that it was a little long. But don't listen to "steaming turd" kid, it was well I thought this was an excellent and entertaining movie. I went into the theater skeptical, but found myself really enjoying the film. The only downside was that it was a little long. But don't listen to "steaming turd" kid, it was well worth the price of a movie ticket! Expand
MandyMay 20, 2004
For all those people who are rating this movie bad you have serious issues... I'm not kidding, really I'm not. I love horror/action movies and this satisfied both. The cast and location couldn't have been better either. Every For all those people who are rating this movie bad you have serious issues... I'm not kidding, really I'm not. I love horror/action movies and this satisfied both. The cast and location couldn't have been better either. Every single aspect was perfect. I could watch the movie over and over again and it wouldn't get boring at all. I throughly enjoyed Van Helsing and so should you. Expand
DavidH.May 20, 2004
A steaming turd of a movie. Woefull in every single way. Its the only film that i have walked out on.
J.KazakoffMay 19, 2004
While the special effects were good, the movie was built on stereotype after stereotype after stereotype. Wouldn't be exciting for once if the two main characters didn't fall in love? Not only must you suspend your belief in While the special effects were good, the movie was built on stereotype after stereotype after stereotype. Wouldn't be exciting for once if the two main characters didn't fall in love? Not only must you suspend your belief in reality, which I have no problem with, but you must also suspend basic physics laws and the construction abilities (could they really build a castle that big and cool in 1400? Why does a vampire need that many fires lit?) Expand
ZachW.May 18, 2004
This was a great movie, no doubt about it. It has all of the original horror movie characters, pretty good acting, (I love Frankenstein) and some really good action. I heard "this movie has no plot", and "there's no way you can mix This was a great movie, no doubt about it. It has all of the original horror movie characters, pretty good acting, (I love Frankenstein) and some really good action. I heard "this movie has no plot", and "there's no way you can mix frankenstein, the werewolf and dracula and come out with a good story". Well, I think it worked, and it worked very well. I would definitely recommend this movie if you are into those old horror creatures, but don't want to see a horror movie, but a great action movie. Expand
BillS.May 18, 2004
Supremely silly and heavily Hollywood, yet the visual salute to the 50's Universal Monster franchise is fairly impressive to behold. If you're tolerant of the somewhat bubblegum characterizations of the 'usual' Supremely silly and heavily Hollywood, yet the visual salute to the 50's Universal Monster franchise is fairly impressive to behold. If you're tolerant of the somewhat bubblegum characterizations of the 'usual' Dracula/Wolfman/Frankenstein characters and appreciative of virtual roller-coaster rides that feature heavy CGI, this could be worth your $10. On the other hand, if you're a monster purist, love true goth without Dracula coming off as overly prim, or if the idea of Frankenstein's monster being a clownish wimp gets you seething, you may want to avoid Van Helsing. The bottom line: Stunning visuals, deplorable dialogue, silly and watered-down characters/monsters. Expand
BenA.May 16, 2004
This could have been much better. I liked the premise, and the sets and art direction were very good. However I didn't like how Van Helsing had to be this Victorian age Inspector Gadget. The visual effects were sub-par most of the time. This could have been much better. I liked the premise, and the sets and art direction were very good. However I didn't like how Van Helsing had to be this Victorian age Inspector Gadget. The visual effects were sub-par most of the time. I'm sure if I were like 13 years old, I would have loved this movie. But for adults with higher standards, this movie is a little short. I also would note its kind of sad that David Wenham goes from playing a crucial part in the greatest film trilogy of all time (LOTR) to playing Van Helsing's goofy sidekick. That's just a sidenote. Expand
VictorD.May 16, 2004
It sucks!
MelissaM.May 16, 2004
Okay, not the best SCIFI I've ever seen, but definitely a good way to kill an afternoon. Worth the matinee, but don't pay full price for this one.
MikeB.May 16, 2004
Apparently most of the people who gave this movie a bad rating didn't grow up with the love for horror movies. I loved this flick maybe if i get brain damage i could also become a film critic Duh!!
DaherMay 16, 2004
Stupid as The League of Extraordinary Gentelman. Hate it! Same mixture of dull characters that only adorn the movie (Kate Beckinsale and Peta Wilson, respectively) with an absolute hero (Connery and Jackman respectively). Wait for the DVD.
OmarM.May 14, 2004
This movie was fun!
SteveC.May 13, 2004
Great special effects. Mediocre acting and story. Fun show to watch... up until the final 5 minutes. If the movie didn't end as it did, I would have rated it at least one point higher.
JimS.May 13, 2004
Awesome effects, the plot sucked but it was still lots of fun. The ending isn't as good too, but you should see it for yourself.
KateM.May 13, 2004
I thought it was fun. It had excellent special effects and a very hot leading man! It isn't necessarily great movie-making, but it doesn't have to be.
NathanF.May 12, 2004
By the time the credits started rolling my forehead was red from slapping it so much in stupefied disbelief. This movie can be summed up with a quote from Futurama where Fry says "Wow, it has a vampire AND an explosion." If you liked this By the time the credits started rolling my forehead was red from slapping it so much in stupefied disbelief. This movie can be summed up with a quote from Futurama where Fry says "Wow, it has a vampire AND an explosion." If you liked this film, lean over here so I can slap you. Expand
NickM.May 12, 2004
This is a great flick -- if you're a thirteen year old boy. Grossly disappointing, crammed full of noise, flash and spectacle, but even Hugh Jackman's valiant efforts can't hold it all together.
CraigA.May 12, 2004
Ok so its not the most realistic film you will ever watch, nor is it the most gripping but I have to admit that despite its many flaws Van Helsing managed to entertain me for 2 hours. True a lot of that time i was thinking "oh how convenient Ok so its not the most realistic film you will ever watch, nor is it the most gripping but I have to admit that despite its many flaws Van Helsing managed to entertain me for 2 hours. True a lot of that time i was thinking "oh how convenient that the rope you are swinging from is pointing exactly at the room where the main character is held hostage" etc but if you're after a good popcorn movie where you can turn off your brain, laugh at the charcters (like the ultra camp dracula) and just enjoy it then I would recommend it! Expand
VictorD.May 11, 2004
It sucks!
RichardG.May 10, 2004
This Movie is utterly ridiculous, has hollywood ran out of stories to tell? They have Van Helsing, Dracula, Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein's monster and the Werewolf running around. I almost died with laughter. I just wanted to see Frankenstein This Movie is utterly ridiculous, has hollywood ran out of stories to tell? They have Van Helsing, Dracula, Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein's monster and the Werewolf running around. I almost died with laughter. I just wanted to see Frankenstein bust a colt .45 revolver, that would finish off this movie. This movie should have just been converted into a spoof comedy during the production -- Oh wait it all ready is -- it just wasn't done intentionally Expand
RichardG.May 10, 2004
MichaelD.May 10, 2004
Enjoying this movie is completely dependant on expectation and predisposition. It is not a good movie. I loved Legue of Extraodinary Gentlman for what if offered, epic super-human characters come to life, but I still know that it wasn't Enjoying this movie is completely dependant on expectation and predisposition. It is not a good movie. I loved Legue of Extraodinary Gentlman for what if offered, epic super-human characters come to life, but I still know that it wasn't a "good" movie. Vanhelsing will amaze you in its depictions of vampires and Frankenstein and Warewolves....but its plot and character development will leave you annoyed if you need it. Its a fun and visually enticing ride, if not 45 minutes too long, but not for everyone, that's for sure. Expand
JimR.May 10, 2004
Unlike "The Mummy," this film was quite enjoyable. The sets and cinematography are wonderful (and should be recognized somewhere), and it's full of action. Not a terrific film, but definitely not worth the bad press it's getting.
MarcusB.May 10, 2004
Silly, mindless fun. Very cheesy at times, but I loved the visuals and the tongue-in-cheek homage to classic horror flicks.
TomB.May 10, 2004
I wasn't expecting much when I went in but even my lowest expectaions were shattered by this dull and noisy hunk of crap-o-la. For all of the promotion the movie received it looked as though it were pratically thrown together. Perhaps I wasn't expecting much when I went in but even my lowest expectaions were shattered by this dull and noisy hunk of crap-o-la. For all of the promotion the movie received it looked as though it were pratically thrown together. Perhaps the worst movie I've seen in a long long time. Expand
JohnyBoyMay 10, 2004
Loved it, gonna go back to see it, excellent action in the movie, so who cares how the story works out?
Mr.XMay 9, 2004
Have you seen "The Hulk"? have you seen "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?" then you gotta see this (assuming you LIKED the other two or you need to find that third movie to complete coffee shop conversations about "worst movies ever made").