4.5

1. Apr 6, 2014
    "The Vanishing" is a unique story molded into a simple surprise. You expect something big, but only get that one item you were expecting. That's just how this film went. Take it or leave it.
  2. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I guess we now know where the so-so-but-still-entertaining 2011 movie "Into the Darkness" got it's premise: Brad Anderson's obscure "Vanishing on 7th Street." Anderson's other endeavors "The Machinist" (Hey, Christine Bale can get really skinny!), Session 9 (yes, abandoned mental health institutions are very creepy!) and TransSiberian (don't trust the suave Spanish guy or the Russians!) are all pretty good. And the premise of this flick is also decent. BUT SPOILER ALERT, and, CAVEAT! If you haven't seen the movie, watch it before you read my review. And if you have never seen the classic "Ghost" or don't know what "The Rapture" is, you'll probably really enjoy this flick. If this applies to you, go here for a good review: http://www.fearnet.com/news/review/tiff-2010-review-vanishing-7th-street

The premise starts out promising. Nearly everybody disappears at one point leaving just their clothes behind. The "survivors" need to stay in the light which continues to dwindle as the movie progresses (batteries don't last that long, "daytime" gets shorter and shorter).

Then, it get's very derivative. The ominous shadows which constantly encroach the antagonists sometimes appear as human figures. Anderson clearly saw the classic movie "Ghost," and the "shadow-monsters" have the same look-and-feel and ominous groans as "Ghost's" shadow-monsters had as they dragged the bad guys to hell. Then Thandie Newton's character starts praying and the shadow monsters retreat. People disappear and leave their clothes behind and that doesn't ring a "religious" bell? If you don't remember "The Rapture," it was an evangelistic (and absurd) belief that God will whisk the virtuous to heaven wherever they may be while leaving the rest of the planet to rot in hell. Well, I guess most of the planet is virtuous given that the majority of people get "beamed up" leaving their clothes behind, and a handful of folks are left to fight off the shadow-monsters. And if you are still unconvinced, why was the only survivor a kid who curled up in a church and the only other person left was a little girl (the new "Adam and Eve" to populate the planet). And they road off into the sunset, I mean, "shadows," together.
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    What a poor movie. That movie even has a story.
    At the end i told to my girlfriend "Oh god, sorry". Every fight she remember me "You make me watch the Vanishing on 7th street".

So deduce what wonderful that movie is
  4. Feb 22, 2013
    Vanishing On 7th Street had a lot of possibilities, but it was done so narrow-mindedly, that the film just becomes a complete waste of time. First, we are rushed into the heart of the story, without any background or character development. Then, within twenty minutes, we're thrown ahead three days, leaving us with many questions that are never answered. Finally, after an hour of typical frantic people stuck in an impossible situation, we get an ending that just doesn't fit. I was attracted to this film by its clever title and by Hayden Christensen, who I believe to be a very underrated actor, but I was highly disappointed. Vanishing On 7th Street is rushed, sloppy, predictable, and full of plot holes. To me this seemed more like a rough draft than a full length feature film, it really just wasn't very good. Expand
  5. Aug 24, 2012
    Leaves a lot of questions unanswered (all of them, actually), but it's an entertaining movie nonetheless. Has a strong cast and visuals but well.. could have a different ending.
  6. Mar 3, 2012
    One of the most better horror films ever! Is fantastic, the trama of Vanishing on 7th Street is fantastic, the performance of Hayden Christensen is awesome. A new classic.
  7. Jan 19, 2012
    an interesting premise, but flawed execution. i think this film could have been better, the premise seemed interesting, but it just wasn't carried through properly. im not really sure were it went wrong, they had a good director,Brad Anderson (the machinist, fringe), who you would think knows this stuff but still. i really wouldn't recommend it.
  8. Jun 26, 2011
    I only created this account to warn others that this movie was horrible! I want my hour and a half back. There was no explanation on what was going on and no ending. All I thought when watching this movie is "Am i supposed to be high to get this? Drunk? I don't know." You have a AMC employee with head trama, a cheating husband, a crazy woman thinking their child was kidnapped and a small child..what the heck? Thank goodness I have netflix's or I would have demanded my money back. I was so disappointed in this movie that I wanted to find the original and destroy every copy so that no one would have to endure this horrible movie! Expand
  9. Jun 14, 2011
    Even a solid cast (for the most part) and a few eerie moments cannot save this unoriginal thriller from its own generic silliness. Tack onto it an ending that is creepier than the movie as a whole, only because of what it implies. The characters are cliche and do foolish things. There never really is an explanation which would have been good, at least in regard to why the days were suddenly shorter. There were some cool effects (the plane) but again, these weren't strong enough to save this flimsy film. Expand
  10. May 29, 2011
    I found an interesting movie with an interesting idea, good soundtrack that leaves the film with a tense atmosphere and that is good and the actors were good, I mean, was supposed to succeed if the director and writer were not idiots, but was poorly done, bad script and what the hell was that end? I could not take that final "Knowing", by the way I hate that. Anyway, it wasn't well developed, still haven't found the movie totally bad, as I've seen before in blogs, the film has its charm, its strengths. Expand
  11. Feb 19, 2011
    This is the first movie I can remember where the villain is a post-production darkening filter. It is preposterous and unsatisfying. It may be time for Hayden Christensen to think about doing other things.

1. Reviewed by: Amy Biancolli
    Feb 24, 2011
    This is a terrible movie. It has no business being as terrible as it is, because it boasts a perfectly acceptable horror premise and a perfectly acceptable cast.
  2. Reviewed by: Betsy Sharkey
    Feb 24, 2011
    Anderson spends most of his energy creating a mood - making "Vanishing" more cerebral than white-knuckle, though a few more shrieks (mine) might have been nice.
  3. Reviewed by: Tirdad Derakhshani
    Feb 24, 2011
    The film's grand concept is betrayed by Anthony Jaswinski's clumsy, mediocre script and by Anderson's inability to manage the talents of a great cast.