7.1

1. Feb 10, 2013
    I didn't really expect much from a film named "V/H/S" but to be honest i was surprised with the delivery. although there were a few stinkers in this film most of them were enjoyable and frequently scary. Would it be the best film of 2012? NO! is it close? maybe.
  2. Jun 17, 2013
    This is a movie that is extremely different than other horror movies, it is chilling and scary, at the same time it gets funny but ridiculous, the story is unexplained a lot, it is just a group of people, who broke into an abandoned house to steal a V/H/S tape, but they find collection of tapes and they start watching them, the tapes are wired and way too different, it is like short horrorThis is a movie that is extremely different than other horror movies, it is chilling and scary, at the same time it gets funny but ridiculous, the story is unexplained a lot, it is just a group of people, who broke into an abandoned house to steal a V/H/S tape, but they find collection of tapes and they start watching them, the tapes are wired and way too different, it is like short horror stories, and while they are watching them, scary things happen around them, things change, this movie is a good horror, but if you are looking for an explanation and detailed plot this isn't one of this explained movies, you just watch and enjoy, and yes, change your pants form one tape to another. Expand
  3. Apr 17, 2014
    Extremely fresh on the scares, definitely scarier than most of the found footage films. Although the plot remains unexplained and the camera work is sloppy, the movie delivers for the horror fans. 5.5/10 for me if judged fairly. 8.5/10 as a horror fan.
  4. Oct 8, 2012
    Not a horrible movie by any means, but not exactly a good one either. It has it's moments, incredible special effects and kills for a low budget horror flick. But the majority of the stories fall flat and some of the acting is just plain awful. I give it credit for trying something different in this as good as dead gimmick of found footage movies.
  5. Mar 9, 2013
    This movie started on a high note, ended disappointingly. This is basically a anthology of horror shorts. The way they go in between the shorts is actually good. But unfortunately the shorts are far from good. They are entertaining but not scary at all. The first short with the woman from the previews is actually really creepy and actually kinda scary, the others aren't. Also this movieThis movie started on a high note, ended disappointingly. This is basically a anthology of horror shorts. The way they go in between the shorts is actually good. But unfortunately the shorts are far from good. They are entertaining but not scary at all. The first short with the woman from the previews is actually really creepy and actually kinda scary, the others aren't. Also this movie has a lot of nudity so don't watch it with anyone you'd be embarrassed to watch that with like parents. Expand
  6. Oct 17, 2013
    V/H/S takes a completely different spin on the horror genre with multiple episodic plots loosely connected through the findings of VHS tapes. Though extremely dated, even for its release date I may add, the concept is refreshing in comparison to other "found footage" pieces of the past few years. Though several of the episodic plots are legitimately scary, inventive, and suspenseful,V/H/S takes a completely different spin on the horror genre with multiple episodic plots loosely connected through the findings of VHS tapes. Though extremely dated, even for its release date I may add, the concept is refreshing in comparison to other "found footage" pieces of the past few years. Though several of the episodic plots are legitimately scary, inventive, and suspenseful, others seem to be thrown together to make V/H/S a feature length film. Had the plots connected in a more rewarding way, the main story line been explained more fully, and the question of "why?" been addressed the film would succeed on all fronts.

Story discrepancies aside, the acting is decent for low budget performers, special effects are simple yet stunning, and the use of perspective is appropriately and creatively used. For those interested in the horror genre this is an interesting watch. The payoff falls short, but the individual stories are worth a view.
  7. Nov 3, 2013
    this was an interesting movie. This had plenty of interesting stories.

I would have given this an 8 or 9. However, the first person perspective was terrible. The shaking cam turned me off. I would have turned of the movie, but my girlfriend wanted to finish. The perspective killed the great action. Too much shaking and wondering what was showing the frame. I hope that the
    this was an interesting movie. This had plenty of interesting stories.

I hope that the sequel doesn't film in the same way. You can have a first person perspective without the shaky camera work.
  8. Mar 23, 2015
    OK, part 1 of the V/H/S franshise is not the best, but also not the worst. Well, I enjoed some momets of this film, but they can't make this film good. It's an average picture, I think the sequel (V/H/S/2) is better.
  9. Oct 5, 2012
    No, it's not different from any other horror anthology. The only satisfaction is that all the annoying hipster victims get deserving deaths. The VHS stylization is a welcome change, and the effects look decent enough to be believable, but the whole film approaches a campy horror film than a snuff film.
  10. Mar 14, 2013
    Besides the first story the rest were pointless. V/H/S is not the worst horror movie of the year, but the gimmick in this movie doesn't make the movie better.
  11. Rem
    Jun 4, 2014
    Allow me to start off by saying that the movie takes far too long to get any sort of momentum going. I was tense in many moments of the movie, but the scares ultimately fall short. This being a horror movie, that is a complete sin. But I did like how the 5 stories were not interwoven and just have that mysterious X-Files vibe as to nothing was going to be explained. The movie also does notAllow me to start off by saying that the movie takes far too long to get any sort of momentum going. I was tense in many moments of the movie, but the scares ultimately fall short. This being a horror movie, that is a complete sin. But I did like how the 5 stories were not interwoven and just have that mysterious X-Files vibe as to nothing was going to be explained. The movie also does not hold back, but I did not enjoy its reklance on blood horror. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Owen Williams
    Jan 15, 2013
    Like last year's "Chronicle," here's another reminder that in the right hands found footage still has plenty of capacity to surprise.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Oct 23, 2012
    The problem with V/H/S, a compilation of sometimes scary horror shorts loosely bound by an overarching plot, is that, no matter how savage, evil or sadistic the killer, the victims almost always come off as bigger jerks.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Oct 5, 2012
    V/H/S comes across as a production that wants to be more than it is but, as they say, The Emperor has no clothes.