7.3

1. Jul 12, 2013
    This movie is original and follows the footsteps of its predecessor in almost every aspect, it is horrifying and clever, with new ideas and amazing costume design. On the other hand, it has boring build ups and stupid characters you don't care about, unlike V/H/S it is not always intense, but sometimes boring and dreadful to watch, it has some cliches, more of it is not the type of horrorThis movie is original and follows the footsteps of its predecessor in almost every aspect, it is horrifying and clever, with new ideas and amazing costume design. On the other hand, it has boring build ups and stupid characters you don't care about, unlike V/H/S it is not always intense, but sometimes boring and dreadful to watch, it has some cliches, more of it is not the type of horror movie everyone might enjoy, it is not everyone's cup of tea. Expand
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    V/H/S was a great, innovative movie for the horror genre. Took the found footage concept and added another dimension to it. This one was a step-up, and didn't know that was possible because 1 was so good. This could easily turn into a franchise i.e. Paranormal Activity. Low budget, high reward. However, my only complaint is that if they make a 3rd to this, they need to get it everywhere inV/H/S was a great, innovative movie for the horror genre. Took the found footage concept and added another dimension to it. This one was a step-up, and didn't know that was possible because 1 was so good. This could easily turn into a franchise i.e. Paranormal Activity. Low budget, high reward. However, my only complaint is that if they make a 3rd to this, they need to get it everywhere in theaters. This limited release stuff doesn't do this film justice. Everyone needs to see it. Anyway, this film was amazing. I loved it. It was incredibly creepy & fun to watch. This is one of those films you'll either like, or won't. Mostly due to how graphic it is. But maybe that's why its on a limited circuit. However, its a fun movie for the mature viewer and I hope they release a 3rd. Make it a franchise. Its fun. Favorite segment has to be either Safe Haven or Slumber Party. Highly recommend. Expand
  3. Jul 18, 2013
    It's very similar to the first film but that's certainly not a bad thing as I still thoroughly enjoyed it! A nice blend of short-stories tied in with one major piece that made for a rather intense 90 minutes! Some 'films' are better than others, with A Ride in the Park being my favourite as it featured zombies, but all four were quite decent with the main fifth tale tying in with theIt's very similar to the first film but that's certainly not a bad thing as I still thoroughly enjoyed it! A nice blend of short-stories tied in with one major piece that made for a rather intense 90 minutes! Some 'films' are better than others, with A Ride in the Park being my favourite as it featured zombies, but all four were quite decent with the main fifth tale tying in with the others well. Overall an effective Horror film and as long as you dont mind shaky cam you'll enjoy it too! Expand
  4. Jul 18, 2013
    V/H/S/2 is an improvement over its predecessor; that it is technically advanced, much more creativity and clever and quite unpredictable. The film is definitely flawed due to a lame wraparound segment, some weak moments and a lack of chills and creepiness. But the film makes up for its flaws by making V/H/S/2 a suspenseful, exciting and a bloody good time.
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    The movie is a series of short stories that follows a central story if that makes any sense. And each of these short stories its its own horror film that are completely random but has a user watching them. Im getting bored of movies latley to be honest and watching tv series and anime instead but I found this to be very entertaining and different then the usual so a 8 for me is very wellThe movie is a series of short stories that follows a central story if that makes any sense. And each of these short stories its its own horror film that are completely random but has a user watching them. Im getting bored of movies latley to be honest and watching tv series and anime instead but I found this to be very entertaining and different then the usual so a 8 for me is very well derserved for this Expand
  6. Nov 6, 2013
    I'm going to break this down segment by segment.

I'm going to break this down segment by segment.

1. Phase 1 Clinical Trials, not a great opener. The biggest flaw of Clinical Trials is that it's premise and execution just doesn't fit into the short film mold too well. It moves way too fast and doesn't leave any time for suspense building which is a pretty big deal for ghost/haunting stories. Also, the Clarissa character is just god-awful as she serves absolutely no other purpose then a personified exposition dump, a pair of bare boobs, and an additional victim.

2. A Ride in the Park, this one works very well within the time constraints. It's simple, to the point, and focused. While the gimmick of seeing things through the zombie's eyes and the ending where he becomes self aware help the film I just couldn't shake the feeling of "*sigh*...great....MORE zombies". Let's be honest for a second, zombies are played out.

3. Safe Haven, another one that just doesn't work as a short. There's actually some great bits in Safe Haven, the Father character is done brilliantly as the actor perfectly sells the whole insane/creepy/fanatical vibe and there is some actual tension building but the whole thing just moves too fast and would've probably been 10x better at feature length. The inclusion of the interviewer's girlfriend getting knocked up by another man felt unnecessary and forced and the climax was just too much packed into too little time (zombies again, really?). However the WORST part of Safe Haven is the atrociously fake looking demon.

4. Slumber Party Alien Abduction, probably my favorite of the whole movie. It works as a short, the actors feel sincere and real (though I'm not sure if 11 year olds drop that many f-bombs), and there are some legitimate scares and creepy bits. The alien underwater reaching for the kid moments before his sister's boyfriend jumps in the water sent chills down my spine. The biggest issue with the film though is that the alien costumes are incredibly fake looking and even though this could've been masked with only glimpses or blurred images of them the director chose to show them explicitly nearly constantly during the climax. Also, the ending is pretty sad...

5. Tape 49, this is the framing narrative. Although the one from the first film was nothing special this one is somehow worse, most likely due to the fact that it just doesn't make sense. I just can't explain why a private investigator and his girlfriend/assistant would forcibly break into someone's house (even after one of them thinks someone is inside) and then proceed to watch creepy VHS tapes instead of actually trying to find the guy they're looking for. It's got some creepy moments but it's just altogether lazy.
  7. Jul 3, 2014
    Although set up better than it's predecessor and directed better V/H/S/2 lacks the writing and twists that made the first film so interesting. Although still enjoyable and shocking the writing at times seems to force itself to be shocking and forces in different supernatural events.
  8. Jul 12, 2013
    I wasn't a big fan of the original because I thought a lot of the short stories were below average and for the most part the same applies for this one. I did like this one slightly more. C+
  9. Aug 6, 2013
    it’s a soul crushing experience that proves once and for all that money truly has the ability to corrupt, make people lazy, and destroy the things that made the world a good place to begin with.

I’m being a little hyperbolic there. But when only one out of four of the shorts bothers to try something different I cannot responsibly vouch for the total package. Read my full review here:

Read my full review here: http://filmtastic.tv/2013/07/11/review-vhs2/
  10. Mar 23, 2015
    The part 2 of the V/H/S film series is much better than the 1st part. It has more its moments than V/H/S and more original ideas, also less useless gore (no, it has gore, but it's suitable). And it doesn't look like a **** B-movie.
  11. May 24, 2014
    Well it was an ok collections of short horror stories. You get some cheap jump scares in the start but later stories are tense and leave you gripping your chair and freaking out a bit. It's too bad the narrative that brings it all together just makes no sense whatsoever, it just leaves you yelling "Just turn around!" every scene but the framing was never the strong point in these.
  12. Oct 4, 2014
    What made the mistakes of the first film acceptable was that there was no plot so you took each film as it was and just went along for the ride. This one just seems to try a little to hard and the end is nonsensical. You can't have it both ways; either take yourself seriously as a movie or don't. That aside the individual films are nothing special. They were actually a little hard toWhat made the mistakes of the first film acceptable was that there was no plot so you took each film as it was and just went along for the ride. This one just seems to try a little to hard and the end is nonsensical. You can't have it both ways; either take yourself seriously as a movie or don't. That aside the individual films are nothing special. They were actually a little hard to watch, and not in a good way. Is V/H/S 2 a waste of your time? I don't think so, but I sure wouldn't spend money the watch it. Expand
  13. Nov 19, 2014
    V/H/S/2 was a mild improvement over its predecessor, which I loved as well. The frame narrative was more compelling than V/H/S, and the ending was especially great and pretty crazy. The movie as a whole is thirty minutes shorter, a major improvement over V/H/S which ran for almost two hours. The first segment, "Phase I Clinical Trials", was the jumpiest segment and also the scariest. ItV/H/S/2 was a mild improvement over its predecessor, which I loved as well. The frame narrative was more compelling than V/H/S, and the ending was especially great and pretty crazy. The movie as a whole is thirty minutes shorter, a major improvement over V/H/S which ran for almost two hours. The first segment, "Phase I Clinical Trials", was the jumpiest segment and also the scariest. It was slightly derivative of other supernatural movies like "The Eye", and there were quite a few unanswered questions. It was the weakest of the four quality-wise, but it certainly wasn't my least favorite. The next segment, "A Ride in the Park", was very original and entertaining. It's a zombie found footage short. I don't think there's even been a found footage zombie film, so this was a pretty cool take on the genre. Also, the camera was attached to the zombie's head, another original concept. The third segment, "Safe Haven", was by far my favorite. It was crazy, bloody, disturbing, atmospheric... everything you could ever want from a horror film. The final segment, "Slumber Party Alien Abduction", was my least favorite, most because the aliens were just run-of-the-mill grey aliens, and the kids in the short were extremely annoying. Nonetheless, it was VERY intense, thanks to its amazing sound and lighting effects. If you're a fan of the first one, don't miss this one. Expand
  14. Feb 27, 2015
    El found footage jamas lo disfrute tan bien como esta pelicula, V/H/S/2 es mas brutal, mas grotesca, mas bizarra, mas violenta y mas divertida que V/H/S. De las mejores películas de Terror que e visto y sobre todo, de los mejores found footage que e visto en el cine de terror.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Oct 21, 2013
    Slicker than the original without the sudden lurches in quality, this second shaky-cam horror anthology still has a standout sequence by which all the others must be judged.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Oct 11, 2013
    There are some dull stretches here, but also some grisly instant hits: nasty, deplorable, vulgar and sometimes brilliant.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Oct 8, 2013
    This sequel suffers from the same lack of quality control that plagued the first film.