7.3

1. Jul 12, 2013
    This movie is original and follows the footsteps of its predecessor in almost every aspect, it is horrifying and clever, with new ideas and amazing costume design. On the other hand, it has boring build ups and stupid characters you don't care about, unlike V/H/S it is not always intense, but sometimes boring and dreadful to watch, it has some cliches, more of it is not the type of horror movie everyone might enjoy, it is not everyone's cup of tea. Expand
  2. Jul 18, 2013
    V/H/S/2 is an improvement over its predecessor; that it is technically advanced, much more creativity and clever and quite unpredictable. The film is definitely flawed due to a lame wraparound segment, some weak moments and a lack of chills and creepiness. But the film makes up for its flaws by making V/H/S/2 a suspenseful, exciting and a bloody good time.
  3. Jul 25, 2013
    V/H/S was a great, innovative movie for the horror genre. Took the found footage concept and added another dimension to it. This one was a step-up, and didn't know that was possible because 1 was so good. This could easily turn into a franchise i.e. Paranormal Activity. Low budget, high reward. However, my only complaint is that if they make a 3rd to this, they need to get it everywhere in theaters. This limited release stuff doesn't do this film justice. Everyone needs to see it. Anyway, this film was amazing. I loved it. It was incredibly creepy & fun to watch. This is one of those films you'll either like, or won't. Mostly due to how graphic it is. But maybe that's why its on a limited circuit. However, its a fun movie for the mature viewer and I hope they release a 3rd. Make it a franchise. Its fun. Favorite segment has to be either Safe Haven or Slumber Party. Highly recommend. Expand
  4. Jul 18, 2013
    It's very similar to the first film but that's certainly not a bad thing as I still thoroughly enjoyed it! A nice blend of short-stories tied in with one major piece that made for a rather intense 90 minutes! Some 'films' are better than others, with A Ride in the Park being my favourite as it featured zombies, but all four were quite decent with the main fifth tale tying in with the others well. Overall an effective Horror film and as long as you dont mind shaky cam you'll enjoy it too! Expand
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    The movie is a series of short stories that follows a central story if that makes any sense. And each of these short stories its its own horror film that are completely random but has a user watching them. Im getting bored of movies latley to be honest and watching tv series and anime instead but I found this to be very entertaining and different then the usual so a 8 for me is very well derserved for this Expand
  6. Jul 3, 2014
    Although set up better than it's predecessor and directed better V/H/S/2 lacks the writing and twists that made the first film so interesting. Although still enjoyable and shocking the writing at times seems to force itself to be shocking and forces in different supernatural events.
  7. Jul 12, 2013
    I wasn't a big fan of the original because I thought a lot of the short stories were below average and for the most part the same applies for this one. I did like this one slightly more. C+
  8. Aug 6, 2013
    it’s a soul crushing experience that proves once and for all that money truly has the ability to corrupt, make people lazy, and destroy the things that made the world a good place to begin with.

I’m being a little hyperbolic there. But when only one out of four of the shorts bothers to try something different I cannot responsibly vouch for the total package.

Read my full review here:
    http://filmtastic.tv/2013/07/11/review-vhs2/ Expand
  9. Nov 6, 2013
    I'm going to break this down segment by segment.

1. Phase 1 Clinical Trials, not a great opener. The biggest flaw of Clinical Trials is that it's premise and execution just doesn't fit into the short film mold too well. It moves way too fast and doesn't leave any time for suspense building which is a pretty big deal for ghost/haunting stories. Also, the Clarissa character is just
    god-awful as she serves absolutely no other purpose then a personified exposition dump, a pair of bare boobs, and an additional victim.

2. A Ride in the Park, this one works very well within the time constraints. It's simple, to the point, and focused. While the gimmick of seeing things through the zombie's eyes and the ending where he becomes self aware help the film I just couldn't shake the feeling of "*sigh*...great....MORE zombies". Let's be honest for a second, zombies are played out.

3. Safe Haven, another one that just doesn't work as a short. There's actually some great bits in Safe Haven, the Father character is done brilliantly as the actor perfectly sells the whole insane/creepy/fanatical vibe and there is some actual tension building but the whole thing just moves too fast and would've probably been 10x better at feature length. The inclusion of the interviewer's girlfriend getting knocked up by another man felt unnecessary and forced and the climax was just too much packed into too little time (zombies again, really?). However the WORST part of Safe Haven is the atrociously fake looking demon.

4. Slumber Party Alien Abduction, probably my favorite of the whole movie. It works as a short, the actors feel sincere and real (though I'm not sure if 11 year olds drop that many f-bombs), and there are some legitimate scares and creepy bits. The alien underwater reaching for the kid moments before his sister's boyfriend jumps in the water sent chills down my spine. The biggest issue with the film though is that the alien costumes are incredibly fake looking and even though this could've been masked with only glimpses or blurred images of them the director chose to show them explicitly nearly constantly during the climax. Also, the ending is pretty sad...

5. Tape 49, this is the framing narrative. Although the one from the first film was nothing special this one is somehow worse, most likely due to the fact that it just doesn't make sense. I just can't explain why a private investigator and his girlfriend/assistant would forcibly break into someone's house (even after one of them thinks someone is inside) and then proceed to watch creepy VHS tapes instead of actually trying to find the guy they're looking for. It's got some creepy moments but it's just altogether lazy.
  10. May 24, 2014
    Well it was an ok collections of short horror stories. You get some cheap jump scares in the start but later stories are tense and leave you gripping your chair and freaking out a bit. It's too bad the narrative that brings it all together just makes no sense whatsoever, it just leaves you yelling "Just turn around!" every scene but the framing was never the strong point in these.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Oct 21, 2013
    Slicker than the original without the sudden lurches in quality, this second shaky-cam horror anthology still has a standout sequence by which all the others must be judged.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Oct 11, 2013
    There are some dull stretches here, but also some grisly instant hits: nasty, deplorable, vulgar and sometimes brilliant.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Oct 8, 2013
    This sequel suffers from the same lack of quality control that plagued the first film.