Vicky Cristina Barcelona

7.0

1. TaylorL.
    Feb 1, 2009
    This movie sucked. I can not believe i spent money to rent this movie. It has no point. 4 people started unhappy, 4 people ended unhappy.
  2. LinL.
    Mar 23, 2009
    With Blockbuster rentals up to $4.99, I regretted the money and time spent on this movie, memorable only for for the spicy little Spanish tune at the beginning and end. I'm as hungry as the next person for the next Woody Allen film. But these characters were flat, slighty annoying and utterly uninteresting.
  3. helenj
    May 24, 2010
    I think critics were dazzled by Woody Allen's name on the credits. It was predictable, shallow and boring. Barcelona is not yellow either! Really disappointing.
  4. MurrayR.
    Jun 17, 2010
    I'm not a fan of classical guitar.It's boring. There's scene where the sensitive "artists" of Barcelona are gathered together sipping wine and listening intently to mindless strumming. And that to me sums up this movie.There are no revelations ,no insights nothing is learned.And nothing is funny.
  5. FrancescoR.
    Feb 23, 2009
    Stereotypes. Boredom. Stereotypes. Also, some of the fakest dialogues ever seen on the big screen. More stereotypes. More boredom. Everything is 100% predictable in the storyline. The portrait of Spain is nothing but a shadeless and blurry sketch packed full of stereotypes. Yeah, stereotypes. Lots of.
  6. DavidC.
    May 29, 2009
    The voiceover narration and dialogue are so painfully stupid, I actually could not watch more than a half hour of the film. Horrible, simply horrible.
  7. RickK
    Aug 14, 2009
    What is it with all the 9's & 10's??? C'mon people! If this had been written & directed by someone OTHER than Woody Allen, you'd see it for what it really is - a horrible, horrible film.
  8. DonaldS.
    May 28, 2009
    Pointless and boring. Woody Allen should hang it up. His creative talent is gone, and he should be, too.
  9. NeilB
    Apr 6, 2010
    Utter rubbish-don't waste your time.
  10. KelleyM.
    Aug 21, 2008
    What was the intent of the banal narration? Was it supposed to be amusing? Well, it was pretty irritating, as was the incredible stereotypes that pass as characters. Some redeeming scenes every now and then involving either Rebecca Hall or Penelope Cruz. Scarlett Johansson was boring and physically too bleached out. Bardim's quiet truthfulness was appealing but overall it was hard to What was the intent of the banal narration? Was it supposed to be amusing? Well, it was pretty irritating, as was the incredible stereotypes that pass as characters. Some redeeming scenes every now and then involving either Rebecca Hall or Penelope Cruz. Scarlett Johansson was boring and physically too bleached out. Bardim's quiet truthfulness was appealing but overall it was hard to see why he would be such a heart breaker. Finally, every American man who shows up in this picture is a total tool or twerp. Expand
  11. essbeekay
    Aug 23, 2008
    I think this is more male fantasy stuff that Allen's been churning out for years at first making us believe that beautiful hapless waifs could fall for his neurotic bullshit (Mia Farrow, Diane Keaton) and now 3 women at a time! Really. Every time I thought he had something different to say, I regretted it seeing such colossal bores as Match Point and some painfully idiotic movie with I think this is more male fantasy stuff that Allen's been churning out for years at first making us believe that beautiful hapless waifs could fall for his neurotic bullshit (Mia Farrow, Diane Keaton) and now 3 women at a time! Really. Every time I thought he had something different to say, I regretted it seeing such colossal bores as Match Point and some painfully idiotic movie with Meg Ryan and Jason Biggs. Sorry San Francisco Chronicle this time I don't agree. Expand
  12. JanetteH
    Jan 6, 2009
    Rubbish. It was the falsest movie I have ever seen. The dialogue was almost as if they were making it up. There was no passion between the main actors. I wanted to just Slap Scarlett Silly, she's beautiful to look at, she can't act, Hello. If Woody Allen Got to spend all that money to make a money not even vaguely entertaining, then there is something very wrong with our culture.
  13. RH.
    Aug 16, 2008
    As they say in writing, show it, dont tell it. The narrator is very distracting. The character, even if there is barely a story to tell, are funny and interesting. The ending feels like Mr. Allen just ran out of anything to say.
  14. CorinneM.
    Sep 8, 2008
    I would have given it a zero if not for Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz - I'm sick of Woody Allen getting good reviews on bad movies because he's Woody Allen. This would never have been made and certainly not with these stars if not for his name. Like so many other of his recent movies.
  15. Benno
    Apr 15, 2010
    Short version: The Hollywood equivalent of a Gypsy Girl painting. Longer version: Arguably the century's most pretentious wank, the most badly made disaster ever. A toxic, petit-bourgeois piece of pestilence of a film. Painfully self-conscious kitsch story wrapped around egregious dialogue hiding a pretentious old man fantasy. Badly acted rubbish for pseudo-intellectual losers, Short version: The Hollywood equivalent of a Gypsy Girl painting. Longer version: Arguably the century's most pretentious wank, the most badly made disaster ever. A toxic, petit-bourgeois piece of pestilence of a film. Painfully self-conscious kitsch story wrapped around egregious dialogue hiding a pretentious old man fantasy. Badly acted rubbish for pseudo-intellectual losers, lacquered sentimentally over by a pseudo-liberated morality tale that performs - to make it worse- a criminal act of despicably shallow Euro-Orientalistic violence against the idea of Spain and the reality of love. May the gods of art and love have mercy on Woody Allens twisted, pathetic soul. Expand
  16. larrys.
    Apr 16, 2009
    Way overrated. Except for Cruz the acting was uninspired. Javier was miscast and Johansson was amateurish. Writing as not up to Woody's standard. Don't waste your money!
  17. Jan 23, 2012
    It's almost impossible to find anything at all to like about Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Woody Allen's direction is lazy and heavy-handed, and his dialogue is completely lifeless. All the characters featured in the film are thoroughly unlikeable and impossible to relate to on any level, and every actor involved, while turning in completely competent performances, just look bored with whatIt's almost impossible to find anything at all to like about Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Woody Allen's direction is lazy and heavy-handed, and his dialogue is completely lifeless. All the characters featured in the film are thoroughly unlikeable and impossible to relate to on any level, and every actor involved, while turning in completely competent performances, just look bored with what they are being asked to do. Instead of using a narrator as a device to drive the plot, and make some amusing comments about the events we are witnessing as he did in Annie Hall, Allen this time uses it to state the bleeding obvious, and therefore makes it completely unnecessary. The very worst of the film's numerous crimes, however, is the message about love it attempts to communicate, which is insulting to men, women and everyone's intelligence. Basically, Allen would have us believe that all women are either easy (like Scarlett Johansson's Cristina) or prude (like Rebecca Hall's Vicky) but both types of women can be seduced by a pretty disgusting misogynist so long as he's got nice eyes and a sexy accent (which describes Javier Bardem's Juan Antonio perfectly). The only smiles raised for the entire film are embarrassed ones, and you feel slightly emotionally drained by the film's conclusion, not because you've had an involving viewing experience, but because you've struggled for 95 minutes to find something to keep you watching. Still, the Spanish guitar music is nice, and Penelope Cruz makes a good crazy person. Expand
  18. Nov 24, 2010
    It's time Woody Allen is exposed for the zero he is. I never saw a movie where he didn't make me sick by his self absorption. I saw this film on a transatlantic flight and if not for that venue I would not have continued to watch this silliness. The film is so early 70's in its mentality - apparently the last time Allen was "thinking on life" through the deep prism of 20' something middleIt's time Woody Allen is exposed for the zero he is. I never saw a movie where he didn't make me sick by his self absorption. I saw this film on a transatlantic flight and if not for that venue I would not have continued to watch this silliness. The film is so early 70's in its mentality - apparently the last time Allen was "thinking on life" through the deep prism of 20' something middle class American girls on the loose in Europe when it was still just $5.00 a day, and afforded them plenty of opportunities to get into trouble. It is a commercial ploy from top to bottom using the then (2008) trendy Barcelona as a backdrop, and a lesbian relationship thrown in as a "modern twist" (pun intended )for the old girl boy plot with plenty of "passionate" people being "authentic" (think Bardem's old poet father talking about Maria Elena to throw up). And Penelope Cruz got an Oscar for THIS? PEL-LEASE She is just mimicking old Italian film actresses to the best of her ability being "native" "hot blooded" and "typically emotional" south European. I am shocked by the opinions of critics "who count". Although I only watch movies once every few years, I now know that I will never again trust well known critics but rather check opinions of people who have nothing to gain from their praises.â Expand
  19. Jan 4, 2013
    Simply the worst Woody Allen film ever. Some funny moments some good acting do not disguise the narrative shambles. And what's with the voice-over? Although a hall-mark of some of Allens's films in here it justs rubs off as remedial. Poor poor. A gigantic disapointment for a huge Allen fan. See it to believe it.
  20. RobertC.
    Aug 10, 2008
    One of Woody Allen's worst films.
  21. BarbaraP.
    Aug 17, 2008
    As a long-time Allen fan, I was very disappointed with this film. Cruz was the only one who shows any acting ability. The dialogue was dismal and banal. The storyline was too familiar and predictable replete with stereotypes. Woody, we have seen this film before, and it was better done then.
  22. Nick
    Sep 15, 2008
    Worst. movie. ever. painfully embarrassing, I'd rather go to prison then see this movie again.
  23. rahley
    May 31, 2009
    I preferred this movie when it was called The Dreamers.
  24. Sep 23, 2010
    I keep watching Woody Allen movies for old times sake. Hoping he will make one I can enjoy. It hasn't happened in many years. This is another pretty horrible movie. Shallow, boring, waste of time. I'll just have to accept that I just don't like the guys style anymore. The music was good though.

An atypical Allen film. Some of his usual themes are present - in particular, his neuroses about sex and love - but this movie does not bear enough Allen hallmarks to single it out as his work.
    Allen can be literal-minded about his thematic polarities, but, in this movie, he has put actors with first-class temperament on the screen, and his writing is both crisp and ambivalent: he works everything out with a stringent thoroughness that still allows room for surprise.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Offers potent romantic fantasy elements for men and women and a cast that should produce the best commercial returns for a Woody Allen film since "Match Point."